User Reviews for Dexilant to treat Barrett's Esophagus

Dexilant has an average rating of 9.0 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Barrett's Esophagus. 87% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Dexilant Rating Summary

9.0/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Barrett's Esophagus.

Reviews for Dexilant

Anonymous March 1, 2012

“After years of suffering with GERD, I developed Barrett's esophagus. Tums, Nexium, Prilosec - nothing worked for me. Since I began taking Dexilant, I have had zero heartburn and zero reflux. Best of all, my recent endoscopy shows incredible healing of the damage to my esophagus. Dexilant has proven to be a miracle for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more September 5, 2020

“I’ve been taking a 60 mg Dexilant once a day for about 10 years. It was the only drug that worked. I’d tried all the other PPI’s and none of them worked. Recently Takeda changed the manufacturing location to Germany and now the drug has suddenly stopped working for me. I am now miserably ill with all the GERD symptoms of before. I’d pay anything to get a bottle of the old formulary. Takeda what’s going on ,... you had a great drug that is now no longer effective.”

Barret's esophagus is gone! May 19, 2014

“I had mild Barrett's esophagus and was on Dexilant 60mg for 1 month. Due to loss of health coverage and was not able to buy insurance due to pre-existing condition, I was off Dexilant for over a year. After Obama care went in effect, I am able to purchase my health insurance again. My doctor presscribed Dexilant 30 mg twice a day for 6 months. In my recent upper endoscopy, 1 1/2 months after taking it, showed that my esophagus lining is normal. What a relief! Highly recommended!”

hsmith64115 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2014

“I suffered from GERD for over 4 years and have tried everything. I was eating Tums like candy and taking Prilosec. Then I started with the acid reflux in my sleep and woke up gagging and vomiting. I had a scope 2 months ago and was told I have high-grade dysplasia Barrett's. Doctor put me on 60 mg Dexilant daily. Within 2 days I was in heaven! Works wonders but now I have diarrhea that is constant. It started a few days after I started to take it. Other than that, it works wonders. I can actually sleep in my bed instead of the recliner.”

I have Barretts and GERD. November 16, 2013

“A year ago I was given Dexilant on a trial basis after being diagnosed with Barretts. I immediately had relief for GERD. My only issue now is that I have had some chest pains that could mimic a heart attack. I actually went to the ER a month ago to get checked out. My EKG and heart was normal . Now last night I experienced the same situation where the chest pain would come for about 5 seconds and subside for 10 minutes or so. Very disconcerting. I am sleeping better at night and feel much less nausea than before Dexilant.”

Country Mom August 27, 2015

“I was given Dexilant to treat my Barrett's and reflux/GERD. When I had my second EGD, two years later, the Barrett's was completely gone! Since I was still having problems with reflux during the night, my physician had me switch from taking Dexilant in the morning to taking it at bedtime. That helped me tremendously! In addition, I noticed some comments that mentioned the price of Dexilant. At this time, you can sign up for the Dexilant advantage program, which is what I did. With my insurance and that discount card, I only pay $21. The card is good for one year, however, you can renew it as long as they are offering the program. I hope this helps!”

Gabuilder · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 8, 2016

“Have had Barrett's esophagus for 15 years. After numerous other drugs, primarily Prilosec, Nexium and Prevacid, my doctor changed me to Dexilant. It works much better than the rest. Prilosec and Nexium both caused headaches and diarrhea. Some say Dexilant is the same medicine, but I have no side effects at all while taking it. Last endoscopy showed Barrett's is mostly healed. Great results!”

janet50peru March 15, 2014

“I had a Barret procedure and started taking Dexilant. It work miracles for my acid reflux. I could eat anything and feel perfect but started getting lots of headaches (day and night), ear discomfort with pressure and noise, my blood pressure jumped to the sky and a feeling of tiredness all day). I stop the medication abruptly and now I feel like something is stuck in my throat but otherwise feeling so much better. Doctor is going to put me in something else... so sad Dexilant didn't work for me.”

AmandaNZacha · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 13, 2017

“I have weight loss surgery and was told my GERD would be cured after my surgery. Well they lied and it's actually worse. Dexilant is the only med that takes the edge off. However, it is so expensive. When I was on Obama care I paid over $300 a month for it. However, I have no choice but to take it or not eat. It's always a fight with me insurance company. I wish they would make a generic or make it cheaper. Hoping it is helping my barrettes esophagus so I don't get cancer.”

Saoirse1 · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 16, 2016

“I've been taking Dexilant for about eight years. I've tried the other drugs for this diagnosis. Without Dexilant, the pain from acid reflux is so excruciating it has nearly brought me to my knees. I'm on Medicare and pay $100 a month for this drug, but it's worth every penny.”

MerrileeSezAloha · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2015

“My Neurotologist/Otologist (Super-Specialist) put me on this for my Erosive Esophagus and Presby ...it works hands-down better than any other PPI's I can tell it is healing..He put me on 60mg 1x a day for 4 months..into my 1 1/2 months, and it is definately working!! Croaking is becoming less frequent, I am already optimistic that it will heal..and the croaking will stop! You must taper off when the time comes.”

jbird68 · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2019

“Originally diagnosed with GERD and prescribed Pantaprozole. It gave me headaches and nausea. I would come home from work and lay on the couch all evening. Saw my GI doctor and changed to Ranitidine. Much better and didn't make me such it give me headaches. Then, I had my second GI scope in 2 years and now diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus. Surgeon put be back on Panteprozole and after 4 days I had to stop taking it for same reasons as before. GI doctor gave me samples (15 days worth) for Dexilant. After 7 days I haven't had headaches or nausea. I checked with my pharmacy and it will cost me over $200/mo. Ugh! Coupon from manufacturer could get it for as low as $20. But won't know until I actually get a prescription filled and use the coupon. But so far it's working. I haven't had any heartburn since I started taking it. But I'm also still taking the Ranitidine in the evening.”

MEliz May 28, 2013

“I take it first thing in the morning with a full glass of water. Seems to help throughout the day.”

S Anne K · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 10, 2013

“Marvelous results for treating my Barrett's esophagus. Too expensive with my prescription plan. Hoping Nexium will help me maintain.”

Leeza14 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 24, 2014

“I've been taking this for four years, and it barely takes the edge off for me. I wish there was something else, but this is pretty much it after all the others stopped working, too. ”

mb · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 6, 2019

“The only medicine that worked for me was dexilant. I highly recommend this drug.”

Anonymous November 2, 2017

“Have heartburn without it. Only one that works. Been on it for 15 years. Dexilant the last 6 years.”

Learn more about Barrett's Esophagus