User Reviews for Lansoprazole

Also known as: Prevacid, Prevacid SoluTab, Prevacid OTC, Prevacid 24HR

Lansoprazole has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 112 ratings on Drugs.com. 59% of those users who reviewed Lansoprazole reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Barrett's Esophagus   10.0
Aspiration Pneumonia  Off-label 3.0
Summary of Lansoprazole reviews 7.1 112 reviews

Reviews for Lansoprazole

KildareCounty125 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 5, 2021

Prevacid (lansoprazole) for NSAID-Induced Gastric Ulcer: “I started Prevacid because I needed something to coat my stomach while I took NSAIDs for back pain, costochondritis and a slipped rib after I had my daughter (I’m small and she was born big and took a toll on my body - had her when I was 40). It worked for taming the heartburn and indigestion, but caused HORRIBLE constipation. I weaned off it and constipation disappeared and I had normal bowel movements almost immediately. But the acid rebound was AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. I have been taking Pepcid and Tums as needed, but they are very short term solutions. I also have had some weird brain fog/lightheadedness, nausea, headaches, fatigue. I wouldn’t recommend this. It wasn’t worth it in my opinion.”

Captante · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2021

For GERD: “I had been taking Esomeprazole for chronic GERD treatment but had started to notice a "tolerance" building up. I had switched from Omeprazole to Esomeprazole without any drama whatsoever so I figured I could go ahead and make the change to Lansoprazole the same way. Long story short ... I could not! A couple weeks into the medication swap I started noticing a "fluttery" feeling in my chest and only then did I read that irregular heartbeat is a fairly common side-effect of this PPI. Let this be a lesson to everyone as it was to me ... even OTC medications have potentially significant differences that could be potentially dangerous.”

steve · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 3, 2021

For GERD: “Excellent. Wouldnt be without it. I take 30mg once before bed. Reflux symptoms like a piece of bread is stuck in my throat and a hoarse voice have gone. No more burping.”

Jasper462000 · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 1, 2021

Prevacid (lansoprazole) for GERD: “Do not start on Prevacid or any PPI. They work fine but if you develop serious side effects as I have you are stuck taking them because they are almost impossible to get off of. The rebound pain and heartburn are even worse than the serious side effects. You then suffer from both problems at the same time. These pills suck the very life out of you. Use Pepcid or Tagamet. Stay away from these.”

Jonni · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2021

For Hiatal Hernia: “Been on Lanzo for three years, stopped the acid reflux but gives me major joint pain, dry eyes at night and bloating. GP not interested as he just wants to up medication. My other worry is the calcium deficiency it apparently causes which I can't get them to answer. Why not surgery? Because it costs money I assume it's cheaper to throw tablets across a table .”

penelopenonstop · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2021

For Stomach Ulcer: “I did not have high stomach acid but I was vomiting blood and after 3 weeks was bedridden from this drug. Joint pains started in femur and spread to joints, broken bones, confusion, burning pain and took ages before could walk with muscle activity at all. it is well known and the facial rash was misdiagnosed as Rosacea. I used to walk 30 miles a week. These side-effects are in the leaflet; I did not have them all. I am now looking at complementary medicine as there is no recourse from pharmaceutical companies. Pharmacologists will not blame drug but treat side-effects with more. I am getting better but until there is a test for low stomach acid, this will continue.”

A Marie · Taken for 10 years or more February 9, 2021

For Erosive Esophagitis: “I’ve been on Pepcid for like 20 years. It has always worked perfectly for my severe acid reflux disease. However, recently the previous black/pink capsules have been changed to white/blue ones. Could care less about the color, but these do not work for me. A few times a week, I have to take over the counter acid reducers or take another lansoprazole.”

Mama G · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2021

For GERD: “I might as well be taking a placebo, as this medicine does absolutely nothing for me. I still have heartburn and burny esophagus. Sodium bicarb in a little water does way more to help relieve these symptoms. Much cheaper and healthier (no harmful drugs and chemicals, and no side effects either).”

Gilly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 17, 2021

For GERD: “I've been on and off lansoprazole for 2 years. Mine is on repeat prescription but I find after 2 weeks I have to stop it. My heart rate goes up, upper back aches. I restart it if symptoms come back. I'm also celiac, with histamine level issues and sulfite sensitivity. Lansoprazole has high levels of sulfites so if I eat food that's high in them it starts to overload the body. Once it has returned to normal I restart and adjust diet as best I can. Please note GERD, histamine and sulfite issues are a common issue with celiac. The medication itself works really well for gerd”

raddyboi · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2021

Prevacid (lansoprazole) for GERD: “5 days on Prevacid and my anxiety is overwhelming. Heart palpitations, insomnia, feeling like I'm completely losing it. I get that these drugs help some - but frankly, in my experience, they are potentially dangerous and folks should know the side effects before they jump in. (Part of the problem is that every drug nowadays lists the same side effects - for legal reasons - so we take those warnings with a grain of salt) Don't ignore the side effects listed for this drug. They are factual. Anxiety? Believe it. Depression? Believe it. Folks end up in the ER on this drug. Now I know why. Never again.”

DarbySue · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2021

Prevacid (lansoprazole) for Stomach Ulcer: “Began taking Prevacid for ulcer symptoms and worked within 2 days. Haven’t had any side effects. I typically get all the side effects from just about any medication, too! LOL”

Mm · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2020

For GERD: “I was on omeprazole and it didn't agree with me. I have never been so ill since I started this it gave me constipation, I ended up getting taking to hospital due to nausea, breathlessness, and constipation. Never again.”

PugMom November 5, 2020

Prevacid (lansoprazole) for GERD: “I have been taking Prevacid for 28 years. I’ve tried to stop taking this medication so many times and the heartburn/reflux comes back with a vengeance. I went to a top notch gastroenterologist and he said he needed to test the ph of my esophagus/stomach. I had to stop taking Prevacid seven days before procedure. Without it, I felt like I was having a heart attack. I have broken both my ankles and shoulder and I wasn’t really doing anything! I have numerous health problems that I believe stemmed from this drug that was prescribed when I was in the hospital from a major asthma attack. It kept the heartburn/reflux at bay and didn’t exacerbate the asthma (wheezing and coughing). I never had a gastroenterologist care or seem concerned every time I said I need to get off of this medication until the one I’m seeing!”

JP August 21, 2020

For GERD: “I began having GERD during this quarantine. My son, who is an MD helped me work my way through the OTC remedies, getting little relief, until I landed on lansaprozole. I had a normal first five days, no GERD, then I became VERY ill. I had violent diarrhea for 18 days, nausea, cramping, loss of 7 pounds, headache... even went to the ER because I was feeling so badly. I took a list of my medications and no one mentioned the complications. No one considered the lansoprazole pill. I was told to eat a soft diet, rice, broth , potatoes,.etc. I continued to take the pill a few more days, my weight falling, much gurgling, lack of interest in food or life in general, sweeping nausea and running for the bathroom as many as 15 -20 times a day and literally all night. I continued taking the pill until I ran across an article that listed my symptoms , though rare , as caused by the drug. Beware, I had a particularly bad reaction.”

MissLeopard83 · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2020

Prevacid (lansoprazole) for GERD: “I have GERD due to cyclic vomiting syndrome causing damage to my pyloric sphincter and a hiatal hernia. I take 40mg of Pepcid AC every night but I was still getting the feeling of acid in the back of my throat. I decided to take Prevacid since I've taken it in the past with no problems. Unfortunately, I've had some issues this time. It has helped with the regurgitation and acid, but I am having a lot of muscle cramps and diarrhea. I looked at the side effects and this is, indeed, a problem with Prevacid. I will be seeing my GI doctor tomorrow for advice.”

Anonymous June 22, 2020

Prevacid SoluTab (lansoprazole) for GERD: “My insurance company would not cover the Prevacid solutabs, but after a long time searching, I found that Walgreens carries the generic solutabs otc.”

Utpe · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2020

For GERD: “I have terrible acid reflux that certain meds cannot control. I started with the likes of liquid antacids, chewables, and bismuth subsalicylate. Barely made a dent. Moved on to Ranitidine (before being recalled), Famotidine, and Cimetidine. Helped, but would wear off while sleeping. Tried Omeprazole, Esomeprazole, and Pantoprazole (prescribed by a doctor). Too many terrible side effects to list. Finally landed on Lansoprazole and, what do you know, works like a charm! Sometimes you have to test the waters to see if you’re heading in the right direction.”

Guff23 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 16, 2020

For GERD: “These lansoprazole tablets have been a great I use to wake up after eating tomato based products due to acid shooting up from my stomach. But since taking this med it hasn't happened since.”

Jilly · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2020

For GERD: “I've used lansoprazole for 9 weeks. It worked fantastically but now I think its lowered stomach acid too much. I have told my dr I will stop taking as of tomorrow as I took today one and only take if/when symptoms reacurr. It has giving me stomach ache and loose morning movements plus I've lost a bit of weight that I can't afford to”

Ruthe · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2020

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: “I’ve had gastritis before after an emotional & tragic event in my life I was put on omeprazole that did help but this time after yet another event gastritis has returned I’ve been taking ranitidine 150mg but although it’s helped my doctor has advidee me to take lansoprazole 30mg I'm yet to get. I do to have an endoscopy soon last time they found grade 2 erosion”

Shy · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

For GERD: “Was switched to Lansoprazole from Pantoprazole (10+ yrs) near 2 weeks ago due to the fact the pantoprazole wasn't helping and I was taking up to 155mg per day. Since beginning the Lansoprazole though I'm not noticing any improvement whatsoever. I am finding though I'm feeling ill and back and forth to the washroom. Hasn't helped with the fact I have difficulty swallowing and constantly feel like something is stuck in my throat. Just learned the 2 of my medications (this and another) have major interaction with each other. Want to stop taking this.”

Jane · Taken for 10 years or more February 21, 2020

For GERD: “I had a hiatal hernia 10 years ago after which my doctor prescribed Lansoprazole. Every year at my check up he says keep taking it. I have had extreme leg pain for 10 years, was told it was restless leg (more drugs). The pain got worse and worse. Can’t sit for more than 10 minutes. Can’t fly. Can’t drive long distances. Can’t sleep. Had venous surgery, didn’t help. Four days ago I read about all the side effects of this drug. I stopped taking it. My legs feel so much better!”

GP Sufferer · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 3, 2020

Prevacid SoluTab (lansoprazole) for GERD: “With Gastroparesis, I am unable to ingest most medications, including normal heartburn tablets. Prevacid SoluTabs are a game-changer for someone in my condition. Since my insurance stopped covering this medicine, we have not been able to find any other medication that works at all, let alone as effectively as Prevacid SoluTabs, and that includes Protonix Powders. I am very grateful for the conception and creation of this medication, and how much of a difference it made in my life until I couldn't acquire it anymore.”

Sbrien · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2020

For Erosive Esophagitis: “It cost you $400 a month? I’m in the UK and the same drug cost me £6.50 for a months supply. That’s so crazy”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2019

For GERD: “I suffer from chest pains on and off constantly making me worry I just started these capsules for GERD yesterday they worked great made my stomach feel a little weird but they worked a treat only thing is they didn’t remove the chest pains that the doctor said it possibly would , any advice on those would be great”