Lansoprazole use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Lansoprazole: Prevacid, Prevpac, Prevacid SoluTab, Prevacid 24HR, Prevacid OTC, Prevacid NapraPAC 375, Prevacid NapraPAC 500, Prevacid NapraPAC, Prevacid IV
Lansoprazole Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
No information is available on the use of lansoprazole during breastfeeding. However, lansoprazole has been used safely in newborn infants, so it is unlikely that the amount in breastmilk would be harmful.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
One case of elevated serum prolactin and galactorrhea was reported in a 21-year-old man. When omeprazole was substituted for lansoprazole, the serum prolactin decreased to the normal range and galactorrhea ceased.
A 13-year-old girl with a recent history of bilateral galactorrhea and hyperprolactinemia from omeprazole and domperidone on separate occasions was given lansoprazole to prevent gastrointestinal irritation following intravenous diclofenac for a severe headache. After 3 days of lansoprazole therapy, she again developed galactorrhea and an elevated serum prolactin that returned to normal a week after discontinuing lansoprazole.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Izquierdo Prieto OM, Moreno Alia E, Rosillo Gonzalez A. [Galactorrhea induced by lansoprazole]. Aten Primaria. 2004;34:325-6. PMID: 15491529
2. Jabbar A, Khan R, Farrukh SN. Hyperprolactinaemia induced by proton pump inhibitor. J Pak Med Assoc. 2010;60:689-90. PMID: 20726208
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about lansoprazole
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 63 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: proton pump inhibitors
- Lansoprazole delayed-release capsules
- Lansoprazole orally disintegrating tablets
- Lansoprazole powder packet
- Lansoprazole (Advanced Reading)