User Reviews for Ranitidine

Also known as: Zantac, Zantac 150, Acid Control 75, Acid Reducer, Deprizine, Zantac 75, Zantac 25 mg EFFERdose, Berkley and Jensen Acid Reducer Maximum Strength, Acid Reducer Non-Prescription Strength, Zantac Injection, Acid Relief Sunmark Acid Reducer Maximum Strength Zantac 150 EFFERdose Careone Acid Reducer Equaline Heartburn Relief Acid Control 150 …show all brand names

Ranitidine has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 153 ratings on Drugs.com. 68% of those users who reviewed Ranitidine reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

GERD
Urticaria  Off-label
Summary of Ranitidine reviews 7.4 153 reviews

Reviews for Ranitidine

Gina · Taken for 10 years or more April 23, 2021

For GERD: “I have been using Ranitidine for over 30 years and it has helped me a lot to continue my life and work. Since it was banned, the doctors have given me all the possible replacements and I'm useless. My life has become a nightmare. Bring Ranitidine back and leave the political games to the people. I am 60 years old and over time I have seen several drugs taken off the market for various childish reasons. It seems that if a drug works well, it is immediately banned and replaced with a two-penny placebo. These are just dirty games inside the pharmaceutical industry.”

littledog · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 5, 2020

Acid Control 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “Zantac was a wonderful drug. It controlled my acid problems until it become unavailable. I wish it was possible to get it again. PPI's cannot compete and we the patients have to suffer.”

Suffering Without · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 23, 2020

For GERD: “I have suffered from GERD for many years. There is not a OTC or RX pill, capsule or liquid that I haven't tried & not a single one one them helped with my GERD. Zantac 150mg once daily was what helped me be free to enjoy food again. I took it for years & now I can't get it & have wasted hundreds of $$ trying to find something comparable in relief & there is nothing.”

Bonzoe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 31, 2013

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “I have Extreme Acid Reflux for about 2 years now, I wake up in the early mornings feeling extremely nauseous like I'm one second from throwing up, every single day. I also go to bed every night with burning acid coming up into the back of my throat, making my throat sore, like I swallowed glass every day. I get this feeling constantly, sour stomach & nauseous 24/7. It's horrible & made me miserable! I would eat "Tums 1000" by the bulk bottles, they worked in the beginning but then stopped working. I was in Meijers one day looking for something else for my sour nauseous stomach & they had "Zantac 150" 65 count bottle on sale for $9.99. So I reluctantly bought them and to my amaze they actually did work. Completely took it away!”

W4phm · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2013

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “Tired of taking Tums all the time with its limited efficacy and horrible aftertaste even hours later. I tried Zantac 150 over the counter. It takes longer to work than Rolaids or Tums or similar, about 30-60 minutes, but when it kicks in, it is as if the GERD or Heartburn never existed, it is great.”

petluv · Taken for 10 years or more May 25, 2020

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “I have severe GERD and have tried every medication I can think of. PPI's Tagamet, which made me VERY constipated. The only one that works for me is Zantac 150 mg twice a day. I know about the recall but I really think it is much to do about nothing since the chemical NDMA they are talking about is found in our food and water. I am not sure what I am going to do since I am unable to take anything else that gives me relief. I have been taking Zantac for over 20 years with no side effects.”

Clevelander · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2012

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “I have tried all of the proton pump inhibitors and had some reaction to each of them. Nexium worked well, but it is WAY expensive. Generic Prilosec (Omeprazole) was hit or miss. It actually gave me heart palpitations, so no more of that. Doc recommended I try Zantac 150 and it seems to work pretty good. I notice that it doesn't last 24 hours, so he recommended that I take 1 twice a day as needed. Have not noticed any side effects as of yet, so working pretty good.”

Connie · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2018

For GERD: “Its 2:05 a.m. I'm tired but I do not wanna go to sleep. I fell asleep and 30 minutes later getting up to go to the bathroom I realized my body was pulsing a lot more I have started having panic attacks but it's been 2 months. And I have taking zantac before so the fact that as soon as they prescribe me zantac again I start having panic attacks out of my sleep I wonder if when I was taking it before if that was the reason I was having them a lot more often, because tonight was so uncomfortable. I feel asleep fine but woke dizzy, nausea, shaky, heart racing mouth and tongue and throat feeling swollen. Everybody body reacts different I see. But some have the same symptoms as me.”

AntiZantac May 2, 2017

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “***ZANTAC CAUSES PANIC ATTACKS*** I was prescribed Zantac regularly (1-2x daily) for acid reflux. I developed notably worsened anxiety and nocturnal panic attacks where I would wake up almost every night 2-3 hours after falling asleep with episodes of vivid nonsensical dream-like episodes lasting 2-3 hours. I would have a hard time figuring out simple things like how to open my door or plug in my phone charger to call home. I would keep parents on the phone for 2-3 hours asking them to come get me for no reason even when I had work the next morning. I was constantly confused and dizzy even during the day and it began significantly affecting my work performance. I did research on my own and found out Zantac can cause all the above. I contacted my psychiatrist, who did not know I was on Zantac and they told me Zantac can do this and has had several patients experience this. Since I stopped taking Zantac I have slept full nights with no episodes & minimal to no anxiety. I have never had any experience like this prior to being on Zantac. I would NEVER recommend anyone take Zantac.”

Genna W · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2017

Zantac (ranitidine) for GERD: “22 yr old with horrible and frightening nocturnal panic attacks 2-3 hrs after falling asleep every night. Waking up in a confused state with vivid images making no sense, yet feeling a need to act on them before realizing the situation wasn't real. Researched on my own and discovered a definite correlation between ranitidine and panic attacks. Stopped taking Zantac 3 weeks ago and have not experienced a panic attack since. Feel like I was reborn. Ridiculous drug with far too many untold or unknown side effects. Stay away from this. After asking different psychiatrists, only half knew Zantac can cause or worsen panic/anxiety.”

Homeboynot October 19, 2009

Zantac (ranitidine) for GERD: “Zantac 150 works very well for my GERD. I take one pill at bedtime with water. What I didn't realize was that my constant throat clearing was also related to GERD and not some pulmonary problem. Zantac cleared up my constant throat clearing which was even more of an advantage than clearing up my GERD.”

McRocket · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2015

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “I had bad, wheezy coughing and doctors thought it might be COPD. Then, on a hunch, my great doctor thought the coughing might be due to my GERD so she suggested Zantac150 twice a day. What a difference! I still need an inhaler, but my cough is otherwise gone...and it was REALLY bad for months (even with inhalers). Been on Zantac for about 2 weeks - no discernible side effects.”

GeorgeF77 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 18, 2019

For GERD: “I took Rantadine as prescribed by my doctor for 1 year. I got sicker every day. My stomach bloated to the point that I looked pregnant, every muscle in my body ached. I got to the point that I could not get out of bed and my doctor could not figure out what was wrong with me. We never thought to link it to Rantidine but woe and behold a few days after the medication got recalled I began to bounce back. It is odd that I am the only one speaking up on this since there are many other people that experienced this. The makers of rantidine better hope there is no permanent damage or I will indeed sue.”

Heather Westich May 23, 2008

Zantac (ranitidine) for Erosive Esophagitis: “I'm 39 yrs young 140 lbs I have severe acid reflux . I was having a hard time eating everything . I started taking Zantac 150mg , one tablet a day . Only thing I regret is not taking it sooner . Now , I can eat more than one small meal a day without being in pain .”

Mvir · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2018

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “I don't even know where to start. I have never felt more miserable on a drug in my life. Before taking it, I had suddenly been losing a ton of weight and having issues sleeping at night due to waking up cold, shaky, and ill-feeling. An urgent care doctor mentioned that I probably have gastritis and this was given to me. I am currently about three days in and I can't do it anymore. This morning, after taking my morning dose, I found myself almost immediately hit with incredible weakness, nausea, headache, and what must be a panic attack. It's horrible. This drug makes me feel like I'm going to fall asleep, but the second I close my eyes it feels like I'm on a roller coaster and start having unpleasant sounds and visions go through my head. I have actually found myself practically unable to eat most of the time while taking this, even less than I was previously able to without it.”

katlover · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2014

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “I am taking prescription Zantac 150 and not sure if there's a difference to the over the counter one but I love this medication. I had missed a week of work from throwing up every little thing even a sip of water and would be stuck there for over 30 minutes and had previously been sick almost every morning and occasionally during the day but always felt nausea and heartburn. Have taken Zantac 150 with prescription meclizine 25 mg and was feeling better the next day. I still get sick from time to time and feel like I lose a weeks worth of food but isn't everyday and nausea and heartburn got less aggressive. Haven't had any side effects. Totally recommend to anyone having stomach issues.”

Anonymous May 29, 2009

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “I love this medicine. I have the worst acid reflux, indigestion and nothing ever works. I've used so many other things but the only thing I have found that actually works is Zantac 150. I call it my miracle pill.”

tim fauble February 11, 2015

For GERD: “My experience with this medication has been great. Until today. This medication will make you test positive for amphetamines or methamphetamines. Today I went to take a blood test for a job. I FAILED for methamphetamines. I didn't get the job obviously. I found out about this by googling every medication I take, and ranitidine is known to cause false positives for methamphetamine. Users of this medication beware.”

Jacque · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 18, 2019

Zantac (ranitidine) for GERD: “On the recommendation of my stomach doctor, I took a proton blocker for GERD. Heard about the long term bad side effects so decided to try Zantac. It was so damn hard weaning off the proton blocker; but did with the help of acupuncture and eating more low fat calcium food like cottage cheese. I take a Zantac thirty minutes before breakfast. About 11 hours later, I take another Zantac, then eat supper about thirty minutes later. If I start to have acid, I take a Viactiv calcium chewable and a Viactiv calcium chewable before bedtime. I avoid acid triggers like onion and alcohol. Hardly cough anymore and can now sleep on my left side.”

marasaud May 7, 2017

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “My acid reflux has been so bad that I thought it was bile reflux. My mouth was sour all the time; my stomach was bloated all the time; I just felt sick. I tried half a dozen different things including Gasx, prilosec, gaviscon and others. None of them helped. I tried Zantac three days ago and have been taking two a day ever since and my symptoms are gone. Alka Seltzer gives me some immediate relief and I've been taking Alka Seltzer all my adult life, but Zantac just clears up the whole sour mess that has made my life miserable.”

Emmaann March 14, 2009

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “I was put on this a long time ago. It says it has an interaction with the absorption of Cymbalta but I really haven't had that problem that I know of. I have been told to take one in the morning and one in the evening because my GERD is horrible. My son had to start taking them before bed each night for the same reason. I think his could be worse. He was told to start taking them when he was 11 he is now 18. I give Zantac 150 a grade of 120%. It works.”

Mama Mia · Taken for 10 years or more March 12, 2018

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “I get heartburn and acid reflux so bad it feels like I can’t breathe. This is the only medicine that works for me. I get relief in about 30 minutes. I have been taking this medicine frequently for the last 15 years with none of the side effects others have described. I do not go anywhere without this medicine - no exaggeration - I have a bottle in my car, my purse, my desk at work, my bathroom, and kitchen. It is a lifesaver for me.”

Anonymous February 27, 2012

Zantac (ranitidine) for GERD: “I swapped to Zantac after Nexium, which did not work well for me. Zantac has been great; not having any trouble sleeping, symptoms of reflux have gone, have my energy and concentration back. So much better than Nexium, one third of the cost, and available without prescription.”

Me · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2020

Zantac (ranitidine) for Indigestion: “The only reason ZANTAC was taken off the market was because it worked. How are we the HUMAN POPULATION suppose to find something that doesn't have chemicals that may or may not cause cancer? Unfortunately we are not chemist so didn't get their cut from the drug companies pulled this scare. Shame on all of them”

Anonymously · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 6, 2019

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “I'm a young adult who experienced with GERD through my teenage years, finally got diagnosed with it at 18. Was on Zantac for a bit, but sadly it kept making me vomit to the point taking it overnight would wake up my in the middle of the night to vomit what I couldn't hold back. My doctor then prescribed pepcip (famotidine) and it works wonders while being gentle on the stomach, I recommend for others!”

ezcure August 7, 2016

For GERD: “zantac worked somewhat with my chronic reflux, but what really worked was the 30 lb weight loss and the omision of pop. also, i decreased my coffeee intake by half and I have one tbl of baking soda in a glass of water every morning to raise the ph in my stomach. its not good to rely on acid reducers and proton pump inhibitors as over time you become deficient in many vitamins. they stop an enzyme in your stomach needed to absorb b12 from food as an example, and over time you will become enemic. this happened to me afters years of taking protonix and not knowing why I was tired all the time. Finally I had a naturopathic dr have blood work done and found this out. took 6 weeks of b12 injections to get back to normal, and lost 30lbs”

1meek1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2015

Zantac (ranitidine) for Indigestion: “My mother has been sick for years... when I say years... I mean I'm 39 I can remember her not being able to keep food down when I was a teenager. She's had every medical procedure, every treatment you can imagine. She's on medication for other illness (antipsychotic meds) but nothing has ever worked for her. Finally, I suggested maybe you can try Zantac... to date, it's been a full month without her throwing up her food! Whatever is in this stuff... we truly believe it's gonna save her life! Thank you.”

Firebird7478 · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2017

Zantac 150 (ranitidine) for GERD: “Horrible side effects. My mouth and tongue swelled up. Difficulty swallowing which is why the doctor prescribed it for me in the first place. He said it was a symptom of "silent" acid reflux. Found a rash on my leg. Heart palpitations and massive stomach aches. Didn't do a thing for reflux or the belching and burping it was suppose to cure.”