User Reviews for Famotidine

Also known as: Pepcid, Pepcid AC, Pepcid Oral Suspension, Heartburn Relief, Pepcid AC Chewable Tablets, Acid Reducer-Famotidine, Acid Reducer Maximum Strength, Pepcid AC Maximum Strength, Pepcid AC Maximum Strength Tablets, Acid Control, Acid Reducer Original Strength, Heartburn Relief Maximum Strength, Acid Controller Original Strength Acid Controller Maximum Strength

Famotidine has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 75 ratings on Drugs.com. 43% of those users who reviewed Famotidine reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

GERD
8.5
Summary of Famotidine reviews 5.5 75 reviews

Reviews for Famotidine

Twiglet21 · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2021

For GERD: “I have been taking Famotidine for 2 weeks now as a subsitute for Cimetidine which out of supply at the moment. This med is really good for the interstitial cystitis in my bladder and doubles up to reduce GERD too. Taking 2mg twice per day. No other side effects.”

Anonymous April 28, 2021

For GERD: “Worst experience”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2021

For GERD: “I have laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) symptoms and this drug truly helps all the symptoms every time I take it which is why I’m a bit disappointed that I don’t plan to take it anymore. The side effects it does to me are horrible, it’s honestly worse than the reflux itself! I get extreme anxiety, rapid heart-rate, and the cherry on top, muscle spasms. I have night time reflux so I used to take these at night, and one night I took one and I couldn’t sleep all night. I got anxiety from it + I would have these muscle spasms that felt like earthquakes. 10/10 for relieving acid-reflux symptoms, 0/10 for its side effects. It could be different for everyone so if you got no side effects, bravo. But look out for those extreme side effects because I felt like I was going to die due to the anxiety + muscle spasms it gave me.”

Caitie · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2020

For GERD: “So this drug is the worst! I DO NOT recommend it. The second I take it I notice issues swallowing, excessive mucous, and difficulty breathing to the point that I’ve been to the ER twice! I’m just glad I noticed it was from this as doctors do not realise over the counter drug can cause severe side effects. Other fun side effects listed under “rare” that I had are: chills, anxiety, trouble sleeping, hallucinations, irritability, restlessness, dizziness, weakness. This SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET ESPECIALLY AS AN OVER THE COUNTER DRUG.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

For GERD: “Just began taking Famotidine for the first time as omeprazole made me sick. So on this I notice I feel bloated after 12 hours of taking it even though at first it got rid of my acid reflux within like 15 mins. However I woke up almost in a panic feeling like I was gonna have a heart attack, I was burping excessively to the point my stomach feels in knots, I can't sleep a full 8 hours. I wake up like every 2 hours or can't even go back to sleep at all and I work night shift. I even feel like my muscles wanna just spasm out of control. And I feel like my heart beat is irregular right now too, it's crazy to think a drug can do this. Much like someone else said here I'd rather have the acid reflux as this is torture; who would ever make a drug like this. What ever happened to safety, this stuff is not safe, but DR. has determined this will do more good then cause you harm. THAT'S A LIE. Done with these trash pharmaceuticals companies drugs I'm gonna try natural remedies.”

Debbie · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2020

For GERD: “This famotidine is the worse medication I have ever taken. I feel so much worse taking this medication than not. Headaches, chest tightening and anxiety I have never experienced. I will never use this stuff ever again. The side effects are too much to bear. I felt so alone before I read the other reviews.”

robbie34 · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2020

For GERD: “I had to take Famotidine as no Ranitidine is available. Famotidine is a horrible drug, pains in rib cage, back horrific. I have now stopped and am looking for alternatives, I would never take this again.”

NB November 8, 2020

For GERD: “I have silent acid reflux meaning hardly ever heartburn but occasionally I do vomit into my throat. Nasty feeling!! My throat and tongue burn most of the time. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS??? It's ruining my life. I've been using Famotidine about a month at night only with very insignificant help from it. Help! I've tried Protonix-- horrible side effects. I take an anxiety now due to the anxious feelings of pain and something stuck in my throat. Had endoscopy, got treated for gastritis etc.”

Natural remedy · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2021

For Laryngopharyngeal Reflux: “ENT doctor prescribe Famotidine on 2/12/21. I feel horrible can not eat, feel like I’m having a heart attack had a panic attack. Chest tightness ,headache anxiety I feel worse. This medication needs to be off the market! Going the Alternative medicine route , new breed of doctors are Pharmaceutical drug pushers. Doctors only treat symptoms, but never the cause. A Doctor is more interested in keeping you sick than curing you. This way, you keep coming back for more treatments.”

AvaHeard · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2020

For GERD: “I was prescribed 20mg Famotidine for GERDS symptoms *dry cough & acid reflux * two times a day. Initially it was very helpful with the cough but I still had the reflux & it seemed to make me have to burp often. In addition, I have tightness in my chest now. I just completed my 3rd week on it & I have random sadness with some suicidal thoughts occurring. I have never had suicidal thoughts ever in my life! I researched side effects & apparently that is a rare one. I'm discontinuing use of the drug & looking into natural remedies.”

jewels · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2020

For GERD: “I have been on omeprazole for about a year and prior to that, pantoprozale because of ibuprofen therapy which caused stomach problems. Doctor said a PPI is necessary. Well, recently the side effects increased on omeprazole and I encountered trapped gas throughout my ribs, intestine and bowels with excruciating pain. Omeprazole lists c diff as a side effect with sepsis and this had me scared. I got off it and am taking the famotidine before bed, 40mg. After one night, I slept with my ongoing meditation and woke up fantastic. The real test was eating, readjusted my food intake to smaller bites. Went all day with very little pain, slight bowel/stomach gurgling and passing the trapped gas. The famotidine allowed the muscles to relax enough for a proper movement. Took with food, saltine crackers and 6oz glass of water. It did make me sleepy but not overbearing. If pantoprozale and omeprazole aren't effective, I recommend famotidine because it works differently.”

PianoBabe · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2021

For Hiatal Hernia: “Twenty-four hours after beginning 40mg famotidine daily doses, woke up with stabbing, burning pain in my shoulder joints and tendons, along with lower back stabbing pain and pain in the tendons of my hip joints. Stopped medication after six days. Pain did not cease. Three weeks later, I am now under another doctor's care for the debilitating pain brought on by this medication.”

no pepcid ever · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

For GERD: “I have possible GERD, definite excessive acid in stomach and I am furious that my GI dr prescribed this famotidine, considering most of the side effects are what I'm taking protonix for. I took two tablets within three days of each other. The first one made me almost instantly nauseous and constipated, along with excessive fatigue, feeling like I have the flu, and acid reflux. I tried it one more time two days ago and I have abdominal pain so bad I spend most of the day in bed crying. It can also elevate liver enzymes, I have MCAS and mine are already elevated. I feel like it is really damaging me and I'm going to the ER tomorrow because I don't know what else to do. This is the worst drug I have ever experienced.”

Medsreview · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

For GERD: “Took this medicine for GERD, After 1 week I started getting constipation, anxiety, heart palpitations, and muscle weakness, dizziness, and nausea. I felt bloated all the time and I couldn’t eat. I wouldn’t recommend to anyone.”

Deb · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2020

For GERD: “Finally realized this med famotidine was causing me to wake up immediately after falling asleep, with my heart racing, caused extreme insomnia which I have never had at all. It did help reflux but I will never take it again.”

Cheryl · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2021

For Laryngopharyngeal Reflux: “If the manufacturer of your generic drug is Aurobindo Pharm beware! I know of more than one case of developing urgent diarrhea which turned into diarrhea with bright red blood. Now I have to get a colonoscopy to assess the damage this drug has caused after only taking 3.5 weeks. The adverse bowel movement symptoms developed after week 2, but the drug never helped my acid reflux symptoms. In other cases, patient had different drug manufacturer and the drug worked with no complications. I would like drugs.com to add name of manufacturer to the criteria for reviews as it definitely makes a difference!”

Midwest Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2020

For Laryngopharyngeal Reflux: “This drug famotidine is horrible! I’ve tried most PPIs and H2 blockers with minimal success. The only thing that worked for my chronic throat clearing was Zantac. I was devastated when they pulled it. I thought famotidine would be a good replacement. I couldn’t have been more wrong. After 4 months of taking this drug, I developed horrible stomach pain with diarrhea. I was ready to call my GI doctor because I thought something was terribly wrong. Along with that, I was extremely agitate and anxious and could not sleep. I had to get a benzo from my primary to help with the agitation and anxiety, I started reading sites like this and stopped this horrible drug. I feel so much better and no longer feel like I’m going crazy,”

Jc · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

For GERD: “I rather just have the heartburn than take famotidine. Half the side effects this med can cause that you see on this site, I got them! This medication made me weak, caused me muscle pain, gave me headaches and worsened my anxiety. My doctor is very good, but I'm disappointed he gave me this. I'll stick to Tums or something. Famo is a mess. Does more harm than good.”

BRabbit · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

For Laryngopharyngeal Reflux: “I've been struggling with acid reflux but NO heartburn due to the quarantine - overeating and lack of exercise. I had never had acid reflux in my life. I was recommended to take famotidine 20 mg twice a day for 30 days. It did relieve constant symptoms and about four days in I felt almost normal. I kept taking the drug just in case (didn't want to quit at day 5). However, I think it is causing more harm than good. I am bloated, hungry but unable to eat, weird nausea, cough, and slight reflux. I'm going to stop taking this and see if my bodies balance will return to normal. So while it was effective, I think it also has made me sick.”

Joe · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 26, 2020

For GERD: “famotidine is awesome! I would highly recommend it. I have been using it for more than a year and recently I stopped it for 2 weeks and felt awful but not any worse than when I wasn't taking it several years ago. After restarting it I immediately felt better. It helps my GERD, heartburn, and I can breathe better (probably due to it being an H2 antihistamine) and it helps my anxiety. Overall, I would highly recommend it.”

Lucy · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2020

“This Pepcid MF by Aurobindo caused my Acid Reflux to become severe. I woke up choking for 2 nights in a row plus very nauseous. I had been on Pepcid by a different MF for over a year and never no problems.”

Wonder woman September 4, 2020

For GERD: “My doctor switched me to famotidine 6 weeks ago. Since that time I have had a cough, shortness of breath and uncontrollable itching. I made an appointment with my PC because of the symptoms experiencing. Afterward I started to think back to changes made within the last 6 weeks and remembered starting a new reflux meds. While researching famotidine side effects, all of the current systems were listed. Worst of all hives was a symptom. Will stop taking immediately.”

Matt April 30, 2020

For GERD: “I had gotten over a cold and my lungs felt clogged. I had described the problem to my doctor on a virtual visit because it had been going on for 3 weeks. I had started taking allergy medicine a few days before, and my condition started clearing up, but wanted to check with my doctor either way. He said it was reflux and prescribed Famotidine to me. I had never had stomach problems before this. 1 took it for 10 days, and within a week, my stomach was twisted in knots and I got heartburn. The medicine seemed to create the problem that it was meant to stop. My lungs eventually cleared up, but I am left with reflux. Don’t take it.”

botike6714 March 2, 2021

For GERD: “I was on 40mg twice a day for 2 weeks. Side effects, day 5 my skin was hot and felt like I got hives, this lasted for a few days and I reduced the amount to 20mg in the morning and 40mg in the evening. Which helped the issue and went away from day 10. Sometimes I get a headache and slight pain around the eyes. Apart from that no side effects. I read it lasts around 12 hours in my body. I found 20mg lasts around 10 hours and 40mg lasts around 14 hours in my body. I made sure to space the dosage out between 12 hour periods. Also drank lots of water, the medicine comes out of your body through your kidneys. I read people with kidney issues might have problems with this medicine. For me this medicine worked ok. I had problems with 40mg on omeprazole and lansoprazole, it gave me pins and needles in my fingers and pain in my wrists that went on for 6 months after stopping that medicine, whereas famotidine gave me no problem in my hands.”

Yahere · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2020

For Hiatal Hernia: “Very bad experience with this drug famotidine. Almost instantly, I started having side effects very severe headaches, dizziness, and nausea. I also had very bad cramps that lead to diarrhea. Only minimally helps with GERD and acid reflux related diseases”

kaji37 · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2020

For GERD: “First off let me just say this amotidine works for GERD, anyone who has GERD symptoms I took this for 5 days and it simmered down so much I barely have symptoms now. But I have anxiety and muscle twitching and I think muscle twitching is a reported side effect of this as well as waking you up as you fall asleep is another serious symptom this causes. To me it works but isn't worth the trouble .”

Tm · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2020

For Indigestion: “The most awful drug I ever taken I started it 1 week ago I feel like I'm having the flu a lot of diarrhea can't breath . I feel like I'm going to pass out a lot of anxiety attacks. I don't recommend this to anybody ”

Famogodsend · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 7, 2021

For Stomach Ulcer: “Apparently many others on this thread have not had a phone dialed to 911 in one hand and screaming in nightmarish pain. This came out of nowhere at age 42, 6 months AFTER stopping smoking, now I ended up with this bad stomach pain. No previous issues EVER. Looonnggg story short, if it wasn't for Dollar General brand (specific and exact) famotidine 20mg white pill I would still be in pain. However, because of Lawyers on TV, in November of 2020 D.G. began to pull ALL of this miracle med from their shelves and I was in a panic. They slowly put it back, but its not quite the same and now I suffer. Can't work for the pain.”