User Reviews for Famotidine to treat GERD

Also known as: Pepcid, Pepcid AC, Heartburn Relief, Pepcid Oral Suspension, Pepcid AC Chewable Tablets, Acid Reducer Maximum Strength, Pepcid AC Maximum Strength, Pepcid AC Maximum Strength Tablets, Acid Control, Acid Reducer-Famotidine, Acid Reducer Original Strength, Heartburn Relief Maximum Strength, Acid Controller Original Strength Acid Controller Maximum Strength

Famotidine has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 44 ratings for the treatment of GERD. 34% of those users who reviewed Famotidine reported a positive effect, while 50% reported a negative effect.

Famotidine Rating Summary

4.9/10 average rating

Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Famotidine

MarcusH · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2021

“Pepcid has made my GERD symptoms way way worse after taking it I feel under my left rib this pain that gets worse as you breathe in!! I’ve taken it at 11:30pm and it is now 3am and I’m still up!!! And still feeling a little bit of the pain. Will never ever ever ever take this stuff again this is the worse drug you can take and I suggest going the natural route. I only took it because I was having a little heartburn from something I ate for dinner but I wish I didn’t take it and just dealt with the heartburn because it would’ve been 100x easier than this.”

Twiglet21 · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2021

“I have been taking Famotidine for 2 weeks now as a subsitute for Cimetidine which out of supply at the moment. This med is really good for the interstitial cystitis in my bladder and doubles up to reduce GERD too. Taking 2mg twice per day. No other side effects.”

Anonymous April 28, 2021

“Worst experience”

Caitie · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2020

“So this drug is the worst! I DO NOT recommend it. The second I take it I notice issues swallowing, excessive mucous, and difficulty breathing to the point that I’ve been to the ER twice! I’m just glad I noticed it was from this as doctors do not realise over the counter drug can cause severe side effects. Other fun side effects listed under “rare” that I had are: chills, anxiety, trouble sleeping, hallucinations, irritability, restlessness, dizziness, weakness. This SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET ESPECIALLY AS AN OVER THE COUNTER DRUG.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

“Just began taking Famotidine for the first time as omeprazole made me sick. So on this I notice I feel bloated after 12 hours of taking it even though at first it got rid of my acid reflux within like 15 mins. However I woke up almost in a panic feeling like I was gonna have a heart attack, I was burping excessively to the point my stomach feels in knots, I can't sleep a full 8 hours. I wake up like every 2 hours or can't even go back to sleep at all and I work night shift. I even feel like my muscles wanna just spasm out of control. And I feel like my heart beat is irregular right now too, it's crazy to think a drug can do this. Much like someone else said here I'd rather have the acid reflux as this is torture; who would ever make a drug like this. What ever happened to safety, this stuff is not safe, but DR. has determined this will do more good then cause you harm. THAT'S A LIE. Done with these trash pharmaceuticals companies drugs I'm gonna try natural remedies.”

Debbie · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2020

“This famotidine is the worse medication I have ever taken. I feel so much worse taking this medication than not. Headaches, chest tightening and anxiety I have never experienced. I will never use this stuff ever again. The side effects are too much to bear. I felt so alone before I read the other reviews.”

robbie34 · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2020

“I had to take Famotidine as no Ranitidine is available. Famotidine is a horrible drug, pains in rib cage, back horrific. I have now stopped and am looking for alternatives, I would never take this again.”

NB November 8, 2020

“I have silent acid reflux meaning hardly ever heartburn but occasionally I do vomit into my throat. Nasty feeling!! My throat and tongue burn most of the time. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS??? It's ruining my life. I've been using Famotidine about a month at night only with very insignificant help from it. Help! I've tried Protonix-- horrible side effects. I take an anxiety now due to the anxious feelings of pain and something stuck in my throat. Had endoscopy, got treated for gastritis etc.”

AvaHeard · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2020

“I was prescribed 20mg Famotidine for GERDS symptoms *dry cough & acid reflux * two times a day. Initially it was very helpful with the cough but I still had the reflux & it seemed to make me have to burp often. In addition, I have tightness in my chest now. I just completed my 3rd week on it & I have random sadness with some suicidal thoughts occurring. I have never had suicidal thoughts ever in my life! I researched side effects & apparently that is a rare one. I'm discontinuing use of the drug & looking into natural remedies.”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2021

“I have laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) symptoms and this drug truly helps all the symptoms every time I take it which is why I’m a bit disappointed that I don’t plan to take it anymore. The side effects it does to me are horrible, it’s honestly worse than the reflux itself! I get extreme anxiety, rapid heart-rate, and the cherry on top, muscle spasms. I have night time reflux so I used to take these at night, and one night I took one and I couldn’t sleep all night. I got anxiety from it + I would have these muscle spasms that felt like earthquakes. 10/10 for relieving acid-reflux symptoms, 0/10 for its side effects. It could be different for everyone so if you got no side effects, bravo. But look out for those extreme side effects because I felt like I was going to die due to the anxiety + muscle spasms it gave me.”

jewels · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2020

“I have been on omeprazole for about a year and prior to that, pantoprozale because of ibuprofen therapy which caused stomach problems. Doctor said a PPI is necessary. Well, recently the side effects increased on omeprazole and I encountered trapped gas throughout my ribs, intestine and bowels with excruciating pain. Omeprazole lists c diff as a side effect with sepsis and this had me scared. I got off it and am taking the famotidine before bed, 40mg. After one night, I slept with my ongoing meditation and woke up fantastic. The real test was eating, readjusted my food intake to smaller bites. Went all day with very little pain, slight bowel/stomach gurgling and passing the trapped gas. The famotidine allowed the muscles to relax enough for a proper movement. Took with food, saltine crackers and 6oz glass of water. It did make me sleepy but not overbearing. If pantoprozale and omeprazole aren't effective, I recommend famotidine because it works differently.”

Medsreview · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“Took this medicine for GERD, After 1 week I started getting constipation, anxiety, heart palpitations, and muscle weakness, dizziness, and nausea. I felt bloated all the time and I couldn’t eat. I wouldn’t recommend to anyone.”

no pepcid ever · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

“I have possible GERD, definite excessive acid in stomach and I am furious that my GI dr prescribed this famotidine, considering most of the side effects are what I'm taking protonix for. I took two tablets within three days of each other. The first one made me almost instantly nauseous and constipated, along with excessive fatigue, feeling like I have the flu, and acid reflux. I tried it one more time two days ago and I have abdominal pain so bad I spend most of the day in bed crying. It can also elevate liver enzymes, I have MCAS and mine are already elevated. I feel like it is really damaging me and I'm going to the ER tomorrow because I don't know what else to do. This is the worst drug I have ever experienced.”

Deb · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2020

“Finally realized this med famotidine was causing me to wake up immediately after falling asleep, with my heart racing, caused extreme insomnia which I have never had at all. It did help reflux but I will never take it again.”

Jc · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

“I rather just have the heartburn than take famotidine. Half the side effects this med can cause that you see on this site, I got them! This medication made me weak, caused me muscle pain, gave me headaches and worsened my anxiety. My doctor is very good, but I'm disappointed he gave me this. I'll stick to Tums or something. Famo is a mess. Does more harm than good.”

Joe · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 26, 2020

“famotidine is awesome! I would highly recommend it. I have been using it for more than a year and recently I stopped it for 2 weeks and felt awful but not any worse than when I wasn't taking it several years ago. After restarting it I immediately felt better. It helps my GERD, heartburn, and I can breathe better (probably due to it being an H2 antihistamine) and it helps my anxiety. Overall, I would highly recommend it.”

Matt April 30, 2020

“I had gotten over a cold and my lungs felt clogged. I had described the problem to my doctor on a virtual visit because it had been going on for 3 weeks. I had started taking allergy medicine a few days before, and my condition started clearing up, but wanted to check with my doctor either way. He said it was reflux and prescribed Famotidine to me. I had never had stomach problems before this. 1 took it for 10 days, and within a week, my stomach was twisted in knots and I got heartburn. The medicine seemed to create the problem that it was meant to stop. My lungs eventually cleared up, but I am left with reflux. Don’t take it.”

Wonder woman September 4, 2020

“My doctor switched me to famotidine 6 weeks ago. Since that time I have had a cough, shortness of breath and uncontrollable itching. I made an appointment with my PC because of the symptoms experiencing. Afterward I started to think back to changes made within the last 6 weeks and remembered starting a new reflux meds. While researching famotidine side effects, all of the current systems were listed. Worst of all hives was a symptom. Will stop taking immediately.”

botike6714 March 2, 2021

“I was on 40mg twice a day for 2 weeks. Side effects, day 5 my skin was hot and felt like I got hives, this lasted for a few days and I reduced the amount to 20mg in the morning and 40mg in the evening. Which helped the issue and went away from day 10. Sometimes I get a headache and slight pain around the eyes. Apart from that no side effects. I read it lasts around 12 hours in my body. I found 20mg lasts around 10 hours and 40mg lasts around 14 hours in my body. I made sure to space the dosage out between 12 hour periods. Also drank lots of water, the medicine comes out of your body through your kidneys. I read people with kidney issues might have problems with this medicine. For me this medicine worked ok. I had problems with 40mg on omeprazole and lansoprazole, it gave me pins and needles in my fingers and pain in my wrists that went on for 6 months after stopping that medicine, whereas famotidine gave me no problem in my hands.”

kaji37 · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2020

“First off let me just say this amotidine works for GERD, anyone who has GERD symptoms I took this for 5 days and it simmered down so much I barely have symptoms now. But I have anxiety and muscle twitching and I think muscle twitching is a reported side effect of this as well as waking you up as you fall asleep is another serious symptom this causes. To me it works but isn't worth the trouble .”

Kary April 7, 2021

“I stared taking this medication 3 days ago and I’ve had really bad side effects. I’ve had diarrhea, headaches, anxiety right after I take it, and joint pain especially on my arm and my back. My dr said I had to continue taking this medication as it has been helping with my stomach acid but it takes me a while to not feel the side effects of this medication.”

Florence April 15, 2020

Pepcid (famotidine): “I got so stressed with this Covid stuff and when very stressed I succumb to overeating, eating and spitting, it went on for a week and oh my gosh after a week the heartburn was crippling. One pepcid pill quieted things down. It been 1 hour and all is still in there thank goodness.”

Cinderella · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2019

“My doctor just switched me over to Famotidine. I don't like the way it makes me feel. I've noticed muscle cramps and a tightening in my throat. I was on Ranitidine but due to the recall my doctor took me off of it. I had no bad effects from the ranitidine and I'm going to see if I can get back on it. Nothing really helps me all my issues are still here but at least I didn't have any bad side effects. I don't know what the answer is”

Solo · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2020

“Gerd - over acidic stomach, did not have acid reflux. I've been taking Pepcid AC for years with good results. Acid issue was becoming worse, Dr. prescribed 40 mg Famotidine, 1 x day. At first it helped along with changing to a bland, non-fatty food diet (I lost 25 lbs, hoping to lose another 10). Advised Dr. of waning relief, he increased dosage to 2 x day. I experienced worse effects, acidic stomach along with diarrhea, bloating/gas if I ate/cheated on diet, (1 whole egg instead of just the whites). Same reaction to other spicey or fatty foods in small quantities, not whole meals. Went back to 1 x day for a week, then I stopped taking the medication for one day and felt better, no excessive acid after eating 6 oz of steak. Previously under the med, a hamburger caused the worsened symptoms. Will stay off the med and continue with diet and limited intake of fatty & spicey foods. Will drop the med if things continue to improve without it.”

Denise · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2018

“Awful! Took this med for 5-6 weeks, explosive diarrhea and unable to control urinating. My throat often closed up when I tried to eat. Had to sleep sitting up; other wise I was awaken by insistent coughing, unable to get my breath several times each night. Dr didn’t believe this was the reason for all my symptoms till I took it information from Rx side effects.”

Duke · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 26, 2019

Pepcid (famotidine): “I had been taking Ranitidine (300mg twice a day), but after that was recalled, I tried Pepcid Complete. It seemed to work for a month or so, taking one in the morning, and one in the evening. But then the acid reflux continued to be a problem so I am here looking at others drug reviews. On the Pepcid website it states: PEPCID® products are not indicated for the treatment of GERD. I am going to try my luck with Prilosec OTC, based on the reviews that gets on this site.”

starrjazz · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2020

“Yesterday was my first time taking it since I have stomach soreness from food poisoning last week. Right after taking it, I was coughing felt nauseous and it felt like my chest was tightening but it only lasted an hour. I felt tired and had a migraine most of the day. Today, I got the same symptoms of the coughing, Nausea and chest tightness. I am going to call my doctor tomorrow and see what else I can take.”

Anonymous January 4, 2009

“I was a huge Tums eater with little success. At night while lying down I'd have the acid come up all the way to my nose - quite a burning, nasty sensation. It would appear that this little 20 mg pill makes ALL the difference. I take it about an hour before my evening meal. So far it has performed incredibly well - I've not had any GERD (acid reflux) even after a 4 taco with heavy onion and salsa dinner plus 3 beers.”