User Reviews for Prilosec

Prilosec has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 44 ratings on Drugs.com. 57% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

GERD
10.0
Summary of Prilosec reviews 7.0 44 reviews

Reviews for Prilosec

Marieski858 September 6, 2021

For Duodenal Ulcer: “DO. NOT. TAKE. HORRIFYING. Took the pills against my better judgment for a nagging ulcer /gastritis per my doc, I usually prefer a holistic route. Mistake. 5 days in, an ER trip in an ambulance from sudden dizziness, painful pounding chest, panic like I was dying, extreme sweating, numb hands and feet and pulse through the roof. Tests showed nothing but ended up back in the ER after night after night of undeniable horrific panic, sweating, extreme anxiety (I have never experienced anxiety or anything panic attack related before in my life), claustrophobic and anxiety ridden nervous thoughts that are unshakable. No sleep for days. With two toddlers it was torture. It could not have been anything but these awful pills obviously. I quit the pills, am seeing an acupuncturist and herbs to detox. Better but still a work in progress. Please do NOT risk your mental health over this poison. Not worth it one bit.”

Presley · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2019

For GERD: “DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE!!!!! This medicine has ripped the life out from inside me. I went from being my totally normal happy self to having serious panic attack’s, constant anxiety/depression and a general feel of hopelessness. The symptoms started on my 12th day and I stopped taking the pill on my 13th day. It is a week later and the panic attacks, anxiety, depression, and hopelessness still remain. This drug is poison to me and many others!!!”

justme74 July 24, 2015

For GERD: “I have taken Prilosec for over 15yrs. It works great for the heartburn/reflux/gerd. But let me tell you what it took away from me! It dropped my iron and my iron stores to the bottom, it also took my B12 to the bottom. It also after years of taking it gave me anxiety, cramping of muscles and lead to my potassium being low as well. Then most recently I kept having a horrible burning in my stomach, well guess what Prilosec gave me most of all! A stomach full of gastric polyps!! So now I have weaned myself off this horrible medicine cause gastric polyps are a side effect of it and no one tells you! And if you keep taking it , well guess what it makes even more in your stomach once it starts!! So I weaned myself off it, took over a month”

MissLeopard83 · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

For GERD: “I've had GERD since 1999 and, in 2016, I was being tested for all sorts of GI conditions because of the symptoms I was experiencing. My GI doc at the time told me to take Prilosec every day to control nausea and acid reflux. I took it for less than a week and had to discontinue because, every time I ate, I felt like I had a brick sitting in my stomach. It felt like the food would just sit there, undigested and it was very painful. I've done better with other PPIs.”

janes7 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 26, 2013

For GERD: “A great medicine. I'm on 40 mg daily due to the feeling of my food being stuck in my throat. It was so bad at one time that I purposely made myself vomit for relief. After having my esophagus looked at - and finding out I also have a small hiatal hernia, doctor said my "flapper" doesn't close, or stay closed. So here I am religiously taking this medicine and mostly loving life. If you miss a day you will again feel miserable. I will say that over the years I have experienced "breakthrough" reflux at one time or another but never for a second day. Very happy.”

olato August 27, 2007

For GERD: “About three months ago my dr ordered prilosec 20 mg for heart burn. I also have diverticulosis that coused me to have a burning itching discharge. By the time I had taken 42 prilosec I noticed the burning and itching had completely stopped. I am still taking one prilosec every other day. I now need to know if I can take one 20 mg. prilosec tablet per day indefinately without harm to my health. ”

Stacy88 January 31, 2015

For GERD: “Doc prescribed this for me but I didn't think it would help, since my main symptoms of shortness of breath and chest tightness and rarely heartburn. Left it in the cabinet for months until recurring stomach pains landed me in the ER. All blood tests, urine tests, and ultrasounds came back normal and once again my doc suggested the Prilosec. Finally caved. I kid you not, within the first day my stomach pains disappeared. I had the best nights sleep the first few days that I could remember, realizing it was actually heartburn waking me up (I contributed my early wakings to anxiety or poor sleep habits). Absolutely no side effects. I can eat whatever I want. I feel like a new person after one week. Hoping this lasts once my 14 days are up!”

Ady · Taken for 10 years or more January 16, 2020

For GERD: “I started on Zantac and then went to Prilosec and Nexium. I was fine for years but now I am having side effects I can't live with. After taking one 20 mg pill I got chills, nausea and felt very tired. I have a hiatial hernia and not sure what to do.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2020

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: “I took Prilosec for a yr and a half. I noticed that my whole body ached. My bones hurt, if I bumped up against a door my arm was so sensitive. I felt like I was 90 years old. My joints ached and my face lost any glow. My skin was dull, flat and pale. Once I got off this, all those symptoms went away. I have bad reflux, to where I couldn't swallow or yawn. I now take apple cidar vinegar each morning and I'm fine. I take a couple tea spoons with a splash of water in a small cup when I get up, and it works! Get off Prilosec, it will age you prematurely!”

john r... · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2014

For GERD: “This medicine saved my life. I was in pain and miserable. Tried all the OTC stuff Zantac, Pepcid, Previced, and many others with no success. Then I tried omeprazole and within day's I was better. Great medicine. Would definitely recommend.”

Grandma S · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 7, 2013

For GERD: “Prilosec has worked for me 90 percent of the time for the past eight years. My one and only complaint is: Why does it have to be packaged like it is gold. First a large box with three smaller boxes in that and then the pills individually sealed in foil sheets. What a pain to get all this open and just think of the amount of waste to the landfills. I called the company and they said they do this packaging for safety reasons. Many, many more dangerous other meds are not packaged like this. Please get those pills into a bottle.”

teresabzie October 8, 2011

For GERD: “I started taking Prilosec over 6 years ago. It was very effective at helping with the acid and GERD symptoms, however my Doctor prescribed two tablets a day (Over recommended dosage-due to seriousness of Gerd). I seem to be fine until I started getting horrible spasms in my sides and intestines. I broke my ankle in March and the spasms were bad and the spasms worsened. I had my calcium checked and I was dangerously low. We backed down to 1 Prilosec and the spasms disappeared. So watch your calcium with higher doses.”

Beck256 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 20, 2017

For GERD: “I've been having problems for years with my stomach and GERD. I was put on prilosec and was told that it would possibly cause an upset stomach to begin with but to try to work through it. I took it for around 5 months but I could not handle it anymore. I kept stomach cramps and an upset stomach the whole time. I couldn't keep enough fluids in me to keep myself hydrated. Months later I was prescribed it again and tried it once again. Same thing but worse. I had bad blood work come back saying my kidneys weren't working right and my potassium was so low I was admitted into the Hosp. Since then my kidneys are still not OK. I've been peeing blood on and off. I am pretty sure that this medicine has messed my kidneys up. Bad stuff for me”

Robbie3750 · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2020

For GERD: “I was prescribed Prilosec 20 mg/day for dysphagia. I took it for one week. The dysphagia was alleviated, but I began to experience bad knee pain. After two sleepless nights, I discontinued it. Knee pain has subsided.”

Dan'l July 27, 2013

For GERD: “I have been taking Prilosec for several years and I take one with water every morning about 30 minutes before I get up and it has totally eliminated any burning in my chest/esophagus. Also, I learned not to eat any Mexican or spicy food within 3 -4 hours before going to bed.”

Elliebeth · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 28, 2018

For GERD: “I took this to help control acid reflux and it seemed to help that but it gave me IBS-D (irritable bowel syndrome , diarrhea) that took me years to control, where I couldn't work or leave the house. Still to this day I deal with it - 6 years later but improved. I never made the connection until I went back on Prilosec a few months ago and it flared up like crazy again. I never had problems like this before Prilosec.”

fayfaith · Taken for 10 years or more September 21, 2017

For Indigestion: “I have taken this medication for over two decades and it works well. Without it I wouldn't be able to hardly eat anything. If I run out and have to wait to get my refills .. It usually takes several days before any horrible symptoms come back. I try to get my meds before that happens. It really does help in making life so much better. You can eat in a normal fashion but sensible. I try to drink plenty of water, so my meds won't be to much of a strain on my bladder & kidneys and all my organs. I know without this medicine I couldn't even drink water without suffering the consequences.. it was that bad.”

neuralgear · Taken for 10 years or more November 2, 2014

For Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome: “I have a hiatal hernia which can cause bad reflux, etc. I've been taking Prilosec at least ten years (probably closer to fifteen) and I've never had ANY negative side effects. It has been invaluable for relieving the inflammation and irritation associated with reflux, gastritis, GERD, etc. Awesome medicine, never had any interaction issues, and I'm on a number of serious medicines (heart, blood pressure, anti- anxiolytics, and pain meds). I'm 58, and will probably be taking it as long as I'm around. Great medicine.”

hannahleila July 9, 2014

For Erosive Esophagitis: “I have taken Prilosec or omeprazole for years and in increasing doses over time it has given me perfect control over my reflux and heart burn problem. Nexium made me so sick after 5 days of use that I could not get out of bed. Nothing else has ever worked so extremely well than this medicine.”

RickieMH August 12, 2015

For GERD: “I love this stuff. Ended my reflux and perpetual sore throat. I was thankful for how quickly it worked. Now to the packaging! These pills are nearly inaccessible in the packaging they come in. I use a scissor to open the pockets where the pills are incased and then store the pills in a small bottle.”

Anonymous January 22, 2012

“I took this medicine for acidity problem especially over night. After 10 days, acidity feels less, but I had adverse drug reaction: fever, joint pain in my hips, lower back pain, duodenal discomfort, diarrhea, fatigue ans some sides effects: headache nausea.”

Anonymous December 30, 2009

For GERD: “I took this drug for several weeks and my GERD cleared up. Then, out of the blue, I became moody and angry at everyone. I read up on some of the side effects and found that mood issues have been associated. I tend to have this when I take anything that amps up your metabolism so it must contain something that is somewhat related to that.”

Arthritis Becca August 13, 2015

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: “Yes prilosec stopped my heartburn most of the time. I have been hospitalized after I stopped. I now have arthritis so badly in both my hips I have to have them both replaced. I'm only 44 years old. I've been taking the meds since I was 17. If I would had been diagnosed or even tested for H Pylori this could have been cured years ago and I wouldn't have to have my hips replaced. There is no arthritis that runs on either side of my family.”

barb June 5, 2018

For GERD: “?Works ok. But I can't get into the package! I'm 74 and have arthritis; it took me 20 minutes to stab and poke and get the darn pills into the daily boxes. If I try to push the pills out the little aluminum bubble, my nails break. I will certainly not use this stuff ever again; it doesn't seem like rocket science to make the pills actually AVAILABLE!!!! B (I hope this is helpful, even though it is grouchy)”

Anonymous April 21, 2011

For Erosive Esophagitis: “Got control of the condition with Prevacid 30mg for a few months (felt sick most of the time on it) and then switched to Prilosec OTC after a mild relapse. I loved this medication and it worked like a charm for quite a few years. (3-4) Then gradually it became less effective and I had to go from 10 mg to 20 mg. Overall I am pleased with the product.”