User Reviews for Prilosec

Learn more about Prilosec.

Barrett's Esophagus 1 reviews 13 medications

Duodenal Ulcer 1 reviews 136 medications

Stomach Ulcer 1 reviews 106 medications

Summary of Prilosec reviews 31 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Prilosec

For GERD "I've been having problems for years with my stomach and GERD. I was put on prilosec and was told that it would possibly cause an upset stomach to begin with but to try to work through it. I took it for around 5 months but I could not handle it anymore. I kept stomach cramps and an upset stomach the whole time. I couldn't keep enough fluids in me to keep myself hydrated. Months later I was prescribed it again and tried it once again. Same thing but worse. I had bad blood work come back saying my kidneys weren't working right and my potassium was so low I was admitted into the Hosp. Since then my kidneys are still not OK. I've been peeing blood on and off. I am pretty sure that this medicine has messed my kidneys up. Bad stuff for me"

Beck256 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "It's effective however the side effects are horrible"

Candi1482 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer "I was told to take this after what turns out to only have been a nasty stomach virus. Hospital thought it was ulcer. By day four of a 14 day course, I developed severe gum pain and it hurt to chew, I had a horrible taste in my mouth that wouldn't go away, throat gurgles that kept me awake, and shoulder pain. A quick internet search prompted me to quit this drug."

SunnyintheD January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection "Yes prilosec stopped my heartburn most of the time. I have been hospitalized after I stopped. I now have arthritis so badly in both my hips I have to have them both replaced. I'm only 44 years old. I've been taking the meds since I was 17. If I would had been diagnosed or even tested for H Pylori this could have been cured years ago and I wouldn't have to have my hips replaced. There is no arthritis that runs on either side of my family."

Arthritis Becca August 13, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I love this stuff. Ended my reflux and perpetual sore throat. I was thankful for how quickly it worked. Now to the packaging! These pills are nearly inaccessible in the packaging they come in. I use a scissor to open the pockets where the pills are incased and then store the pills in a small bottle."

RickieMH August 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I have taken Prilosec for over 15yrs. It works great for the heartburn/reflux/gerd. But let me tell you what it took away from me! It dropped my iron and my iron stores to the bottom, it also took my B12 to the bottom. It also after years of taking it gave me anxiety, cramping of muscles and lead to my potassium being low as well. Then most recently I kept having a horrible burning in my stomach, well guess what Prilosec gave me most of all! A stomach full of gastric polyps!! So now I have weaned myself off this horrible medicine cause gastric polyps are a side effect of it and no one tells you! And if you keep taking it , well guess what it makes even more in your stomach once it starts!! So I weaned myself off it, took over a month"

justme74 July 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "This stuff works great with no side effects. I had my gallbladder removed and was suffering from GERD. My doctor prescribed me this. Now I can eat whatever I want with no heartburn."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "Doc prescribed this for me but I didn't think it would help, since my main symptoms of shortness of breath and chest tightness and rarely heartburn. Left it in the cabinet for months until recurring stomach pains landed me in the ER. All blood tests, urine tests, and ultrasounds came back normal and once again my doc suggested the Prilosec. Finally caved. I kid you not, within the first day my stomach pains disappeared. I had the best nights sleep the first few days that I could remember, realizing it was actually heartburn waking me up (I contributed my early wakings to anxiety or poor sleep habits). Absolutely no side effects. I can eat whatever I want. I feel like a new person after one week. Hoping this lasts once my 14 days are up!"

Stacy88 January 31, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome "I have a hiatal hernia which can cause bad reflux, etc. I've been taking Prilosec at least ten years (probably closer to fifteen) and I've never had ANY negative side effects. It has been invaluable for relieving the inflammation and irritation associated with reflux, gastritis, GERD, etc. Awesome medicine, never had any interaction issues, and I'm on a number of serious medicines (heart, blood pressure, anti- anxiolytics, and pain meds). I'm 58, and will probably be taking it as long as I'm around. Great medicine."

neuralgear (taken for 10 years or more) November 2, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "This medicine saved my life. I was in pain and miserable. Tried all the OTC stuff Zantac, Pepcid, Previced, and many others with no success. Then I tried omeprazole and within day's I was better. Great medicine. Would definitely recommend."

john r... (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Erosive Esophagitis "I have taken Prilosec or omeprazole for years and in increasing doses over time it has given me perfect control over my reflux and heart burn problem. Nexium made me so sick after 5 days of use that I could not get out of bed. Nothing else has ever worked so extremely well than this medicine."

hannahleila July 9, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "Its the best PPI I've tried."

boydgilbreath (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 4, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "A great medicine. I'm on 40 mg daily due to the feeling of my food being stuck in my throat. It was so bad at one time that I purposely made myself vomit for relief. After having my esophagus looked at - and finding out I also have a small hiatal hernia, doctor said my "flapper" doesn't close, or stay closed. So here I am religiously taking this medicine and mostly loving life. If you miss a day you will again feel miserable. I will say that over the years I have experienced "breakthrough" reflux at one time or another but never for a second day. Very happy."

janes7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I have been taking Prilosec for several years and I take one with water every morning about 30 minutes before I get up and it has totally eliminated any burning in my chest/esophagus. Also, I learned not to eat any Mexican or spicy food within 3 -4 hours before going to bed."

Dan'l July 27, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "Prilosec has worked for me 90 percent of the time for the past eight years. My one and only complaint is: Why does it have to be packaged like it is gold. First a large box with three smaller boxes in that and then the pills individually sealed in foil sheets. What a pain to get all this open and just think of the amount of waste to the landfills. I called the company and they said they do this packaging for safety reasons. Many, many more dangerous other meds are not packaged like this. Please get those pills into a bottle."

Grandma S (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 7, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "Prilosec has always worked for me since I went off Nexium but I recently tried the flavored one and I can no longer take just one pill a day to keep the burning away....so off to the store today to get my regular Prilosec since I have finally finished the flavored box. No more of the flavored one for me."

whimpywall February 4, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Indigestion "In 2005 I had many tests. No clear diagnosis but Prilosec seemed to bring the burning under control for nearly 6 1/2 yrs. There was breakthrough pain, helped by diet. Though there were mood swings and muscle spasms. Never associated until reading these reviews."

JCsLight April 26, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "This medicine did not work for me at all. Even with dietary changes I would have occasional flare ups."

Anonymous April 5, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Barrett's Esophagus "Works as well as pantoprazole for me. Relatively expensive."

Anonymous February 12, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medicine for acidity problem especially over night. After 10 days, acidity feels less, but I had adverse drug reaction: fever, joint pain in my hips, lower back pain, duodenal discomfort, diarrhea, fatigue ans some sides effects: headache nausea."

Anonymous January 22, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Duodenal Ulcer "Prilosec replaced a treatment that consisted of 800 mg Cimetidine about a week ago and seems to be doing the trick nicely."

Anonymous December 8, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I am on 40mg of Prilosec for GERD and I have zero heartburn 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Do not forget to take a dose or else the fire monster comes up your throat."

XmyXoneXandXonlyX October 11, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I started taking Prilosec over 6 years ago. It was very effective at helping with the acid and GERD symptoms, however my Doctor prescribed two tablets a day (Over recommended dosage-due to seriousness of Gerd). I seem to be fine until I started getting horrible spasms in my sides and intestines. I broke my ankle in March and the spasms were bad and the spasms worsened. I had my calcium checked and I was dangerously low. We backed down to 1 Prilosec and the spasms disappeared. So watch your calcium with higher doses."

teresabzie October 8, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "Prilosec completely eradicates the severe reflux I suffer from due to a rare stomach condition known as gastroparesis. Sadly, it completely eliminates my appetite as well. It also slows my metabolism down to a crawl, which is already inherently slow due to my stomach condition. "

lambnj24 July 11, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I started taking one pill a day in October, switched to generic, which didn't work so the doctor suggested I take 2 a day. Still nothing, so I switched back to Prilosec and continued to take twice a day. Works pretty well, except for some days when I need to use a backup of tums or Zantac."

bria22 June 29, 2011