User Reviews for Prilosec to treat GERD

Prilosec has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 31 ratings for the treatment of GERD. 55% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Prilosec Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Prilosec

Presley · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2019

“DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE!!!!! This medicine has ripped the life out from inside me. I went from being my totally normal happy self to having serious panic attack’s, constant anxiety/depression and a general feel of hopelessness. The symptoms started on my 12th day and I stopped taking the pill on my 13th day. It is a week later and the panic attacks, anxiety, depression, and hopelessness still remain. This drug is poison to me and many others!!!”

justme74 July 24, 2015

“I have taken Prilosec for over 15yrs. It works great for the heartburn/reflux/gerd. But let me tell you what it took away from me! It dropped my iron and my iron stores to the bottom, it also took my B12 to the bottom. It also after years of taking it gave me anxiety, cramping of muscles and lead to my potassium being low as well. Then most recently I kept having a horrible burning in my stomach, well guess what Prilosec gave me most of all! A stomach full of gastric polyps!! So now I have weaned myself off this horrible medicine cause gastric polyps are a side effect of it and no one tells you! And if you keep taking it , well guess what it makes even more in your stomach once it starts!! So I weaned myself off it, took over a month”

MissLeopard83 · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

“I've had GERD since 1999 and, in 2016, I was being tested for all sorts of GI conditions because of the symptoms I was experiencing. My GI doc at the time told me to take Prilosec every day to control nausea and acid reflux. I took it for less than a week and had to discontinue because, every time I ate, I felt like I had a brick sitting in my stomach. It felt like the food would just sit there, undigested and it was very painful. I've done better with other PPIs.”

janes7 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 26, 2013

“A great medicine. I'm on 40 mg daily due to the feeling of my food being stuck in my throat. It was so bad at one time that I purposely made myself vomit for relief. After having my esophagus looked at - and finding out I also have a small hiatal hernia, doctor said my "flapper" doesn't close, or stay closed. So here I am religiously taking this medicine and mostly loving life. If you miss a day you will again feel miserable. I will say that over the years I have experienced "breakthrough" reflux at one time or another but never for a second day. Very happy.”

olato August 27, 2007

“About three months ago my dr ordered prilosec 20 mg for heart burn. I also have diverticulosis that coused me to have a burning itching discharge. By the time I had taken 42 prilosec I noticed the burning and itching had completely stopped. I am still taking one prilosec every other day. I now need to know if I can take one 20 mg. prilosec tablet per day indefinately without harm to my health. ”

Stacy88 January 31, 2015

“Doc prescribed this for me but I didn't think it would help, since my main symptoms of shortness of breath and chest tightness and rarely heartburn. Left it in the cabinet for months until recurring stomach pains landed me in the ER. All blood tests, urine tests, and ultrasounds came back normal and once again my doc suggested the Prilosec. Finally caved. I kid you not, within the first day my stomach pains disappeared. I had the best nights sleep the first few days that I could remember, realizing it was actually heartburn waking me up (I contributed my early wakings to anxiety or poor sleep habits). Absolutely no side effects. I can eat whatever I want. I feel like a new person after one week. Hoping this lasts once my 14 days are up!”

Ady · Taken for 10 years or more January 16, 2020

“I started on Zantac and then went to Prilosec and Nexium. I was fine for years but now I am having side effects I can't live with. After taking one 20 mg pill I got chills, nausea and felt very tired. I have a hiatial hernia and not sure what to do.”

john r... · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2014

“This medicine saved my life. I was in pain and miserable. Tried all the OTC stuff Zantac, Pepcid, Previced, and many others with no success. Then I tried omeprazole and within day's I was better. Great medicine. Would definitely recommend.”

Grandma S · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 7, 2013

“Prilosec has worked for me 90 percent of the time for the past eight years. My one and only complaint is: Why does it have to be packaged like it is gold. First a large box with three smaller boxes in that and then the pills individually sealed in foil sheets. What a pain to get all this open and just think of the amount of waste to the landfills. I called the company and they said they do this packaging for safety reasons. Many, many more dangerous other meds are not packaged like this. Please get those pills into a bottle.”

teresabzie October 8, 2011

“I started taking Prilosec over 6 years ago. It was very effective at helping with the acid and GERD symptoms, however my Doctor prescribed two tablets a day (Over recommended dosage-due to seriousness of Gerd). I seem to be fine until I started getting horrible spasms in my sides and intestines. I broke my ankle in March and the spasms were bad and the spasms worsened. I had my calcium checked and I was dangerously low. We backed down to 1 Prilosec and the spasms disappeared. So watch your calcium with higher doses.”

Beck256 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 20, 2017

“I've been having problems for years with my stomach and GERD. I was put on prilosec and was told that it would possibly cause an upset stomach to begin with but to try to work through it. I took it for around 5 months but I could not handle it anymore. I kept stomach cramps and an upset stomach the whole time. I couldn't keep enough fluids in me to keep myself hydrated. Months later I was prescribed it again and tried it once again. Same thing but worse. I had bad blood work come back saying my kidneys weren't working right and my potassium was so low I was admitted into the Hosp. Since then my kidneys are still not OK. I've been peeing blood on and off. I am pretty sure that this medicine has messed my kidneys up. Bad stuff for me”

Dan'l July 27, 2013

“I have been taking Prilosec for several years and I take one with water every morning about 30 minutes before I get up and it has totally eliminated any burning in my chest/esophagus. Also, I learned not to eat any Mexican or spicy food within 3 -4 hours before going to bed.”

Elliebeth · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 28, 2018

“I took this to help control acid reflux and it seemed to help that but it gave me IBS-D (irritable bowel syndrome , diarrhea) that took me years to control, where I couldn't work or leave the house. Still to this day I deal with it - 6 years later but improved. I never made the connection until I went back on Prilosec a few months ago and it flared up like crazy again. I never had problems like this before Prilosec.”

Robbie3750 · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2020

“I was prescribed Prilosec 20 mg/day for dysphagia. I took it for one week. The dysphagia was alleviated, but I began to experience bad knee pain. After two sleepless nights, I discontinued it. Knee pain has subsided.”

RickieMH August 12, 2015

“I love this stuff. Ended my reflux and perpetual sore throat. I was thankful for how quickly it worked. Now to the packaging! These pills are nearly inaccessible in the packaging they come in. I use a scissor to open the pockets where the pills are incased and then store the pills in a small bottle.”

Anonymous December 30, 2009

“I took this drug for several weeks and my GERD cleared up. Then, out of the blue, I became moody and angry at everyone. I read up on some of the side effects and found that mood issues have been associated. I tend to have this when I take anything that amps up your metabolism so it must contain something that is somewhat related to that.”

barb June 5, 2018

“?Works ok. But I can't get into the package! I'm 74 and have arthritis; it took me 20 minutes to stab and poke and get the darn pills into the daily boxes. If I try to push the pills out the little aluminum bubble, my nails break. I will certainly not use this stuff ever again; it doesn't seem like rocket science to make the pills actually AVAILABLE!!!! B (I hope this is helpful, even though it is grouchy)”

lambnj24 July 11, 2011

“Prilosec completely eradicates the severe reflux I suffer from due to a rare stomach condition known as gastroparesis. Sadly, it completely eliminates my appetite as well. It also slows my metabolism down to a crawl, which is already inherently slow due to my stomach condition. ”

whimpywall February 4, 2013

“Prilosec has always worked for me since I went off Nexium but I recently tried the flavored one and I can no longer take just one pill a day to keep the burning away....so off to the store today to get my regular Prilosec since I have finally finished the flavored box. No more of the flavored one for me.”

Old Timer · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

“While this medication works well, it’s packaging is the worst I’ve ever encountered. It’s a struggle to push the pills through the tough foil and paper bubbles —- bends my nails and requires at least two minutes to get out a pill. It should be a few seconds. No one tested this packaging with consumers. No one cared. Some genius just designed it on the basis of “sustainability” not taking into consideration the frustration it would cause”

ET · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 8, 2018

“I have taken Prilosec 40mg once a day for 4 years now. It manages my GERD well. Without it I would have severe reflux and have a damaged esophagus and stomach. I have had no side effects that I am aware of.”

bria22 June 29, 2011

“I started taking one pill a day in October, switched to generic, which didn't work so the doctor suggested I take 2 a day. Still nothing, so I switched back to Prilosec and continued to take twice a day. Works pretty well, except for some days when I need to use a backup of tums or Zantac.”

Connie · Taken for 10 years or more October 20, 2019

“Prilosec works fine - as long as I take it daily. But I'm worried about the effects of long term PPI's.”

XmyXoneXandXonlyX October 11, 2011

“I am on 40mg of Prilosec for GERD and I have zero heartburn 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Do not forget to take a dose or else the fire monster comes up your throat.”

j lynn September 18, 2008

“I have Crohns' Disease along with GERD and Prilosec works very well for me. I live by the stuff, it's the only thing that has ever worked.”