Can you take an antacid with omeprazole?
You can take an antacid with omeprazole if you are still getting symptoms of indigestion because it can take several days for omeprazole to start working. Take omeprazole as directed (usually taken once daily on an empty stomach), and take antacids as needed to relieve indigestion pain after eating. But tell your doctor if several weeks have gone past and omeprazole does not seem to be working or you are still taking antacids.
- Omeprazole (Oral Route) Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/omeprazole-oral-route/proper-use/drg-20066836
- Omeprazole Oral - Uses, Side Effects, and More Web MD. https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-3766-2250/omeprazole-oral/omeprazole-delayed-release-tablet-oral/details
Related medical questions
- What foods should I avoid when taking omeprazole?
- How soon after taking levothyroxine can I take omeprazole?
- Nexium vs Prilosec: What's the difference between them?
- When's the best time to take omeprazole: before or after a meal?
- Can I take omeprazole in the morning and famotidine at night?
- Pantoprazole vs. omeprazole: What's the difference between them?
- Is omeprazole (Prilosec) bad for your kidneys?
- Does omeprazole cause cancer?
- What are the risks associated with heartburn medications?
- Heartburn vs Acid Reflux vs GERD - What is the difference?
- Metamucil - does it accelerate acid reflux?
- Omeprazole Information for Consumers
- Omeprazole Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Omeprazole (detailed)
Related support groups
- Omeprazole (115 questions, 238 members)
- GERD (217 questions, 629 members)
- Indigestion (35 questions, 84 members)
- Stomach Ulcer (34 questions, 87 members)
- Helicobacter Pylori Infection (24 questions, 203 members)
- Gastric Ulcer (19 questions, 45 members)
- Barrett's Esophagus (18 questions, 92 members)
- Duodenal Ulcer (12 questions, 37 members)
- Erosive Esophagitis (11 questions, 37 members)
- Duodenitis/Gastritis (8 questions, 50 members)
- Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (4 questions, 8 members)