User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: FIRST Omeprazole, Omeprazole + SyrSpend SF Alka, PriLOSEC, PriLOSEC OTC

Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome

Laryngopharyngeal Reflux

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Omeprazole reviews 7.7 155 reviews

Reviews for Omeprazole

For GERD: "This medication at 20mg was enough to relieve the symptoms of GERD but for months I started to suffer with symptoms I've never really experienced - anxiety, major lack of concentration, brain fog, aching on days where I had done no physical training. I have come off the medication for 2 weeks and already started feeling better and the side effects have disappeared, I have changed my diet to combat the GERD effects, although this hasn't completely solved it, I also take a good multivitamin now. The medication was not worth the side effects."

SCR February 27, 2019

For Barrett's Esophagus: "Have been on omeprazole for 10 years. Take one 20 mg. Each a.m. prior to Breakfast . No acid reflux, or gas, Or unpleasant side effects. Also Very affordable. Have endoscopy Every 2-3 years. Seem to have my Condition under control. Works for me."

Teta (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 3, 2019

For GERD: "Have been taking the prescription of this drug for a week now after having been on rabeprazole 20mg for 4wks with no relief. and for the most part the omeprazole has taken away that stuck in your throat feeling. The downside is that the nausea feeling is terrible and I get stomach pain something that I didn’t have with the previous PPI. Anyone else having bad nausea?"

J (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2018

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: "This was a game changer - nothing else even remotely helped with my terrible pregnancy heartburn except Prilosec. It helped reduce the symptoms by about 80-90%."

Nic (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2018

For GERD: "I had developed GERD a few months ago and also had my gallbladder removed. Since I started Omeprazole, within 2 weeks, I started having anxiety and headaches. However, it does control the acid reflux, but it's the side effects I do not care for. When I started weaning myself from it, my anxiety and headaches started disappearing. I will be consulting with my doctor about alternatives that will not give me the same symptoms."

yizuman (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2018

For Laryngopharyngeal Reflux: "This medicine is worse than the acid reflux itself. I had no symptoms of GERD other than a bad cough (which I believe was asthma anyway). I was prescribed 40MG daily for one month. The first 2 weeks were fine. however, I began to develop severe anxiety and insomnia. Worst of all, I began to feel a knot in my throat which wouldn't allow me to eat --anything for DAYS and WEEKS! I lost nearly 15+ pounds during the time I took this medicine. I then got a panic attack on a plane (I fly A LOT and this has never ever happened). When I get to the urgent care later that day, my blood pressure was through the roof. This was my last straw. I stopped taking it after that. The anxiety that I developed while taking omeprazole has slowly been going away. I recommend everyone to google omeprazole and anxiety and you will read about THOUSANDS of people complaining about similar experiences. Please don't take this and if you can, try a holistic approach."

Enid L. October 16, 2018

For GERD: "This med has saved my life, I was in terrible shape before the meds. I highly recommend it. No issues with side effects."

Supreme_Court_Judge (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 2, 2018

For GERD: "Major side effects, such as uncontrollable bowels and bleeding. Switched back to pantoprazole which resulted in an immediate halt of these."

Pete (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2018

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: "I took this to help control acid reflux and it seemed to help that but it gave me IBS-D (irritable bowel syndrome , diarrhea) that took me years to control, where I couldn't work or leave the house. Still to this day I deal with it - 6 years later but improved. I never made the connection until I went back on Prilosec a few months ago and it flared up like crazy again. I never had problems like this before Prilosec."

Elliebeth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 28, 2018

For Hiatal Hernia: "I was having terrible indigestion due to hiatal hernia, was prescribed this medication and got terrible side effects. I am having trouble paying attention and I often times forget what I’m saying in the middle of talking. I stoped taking it and I’m hoping these cognitive problems clear up cause it’s really troubling."

Shaggy (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2018

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for Indigestion: "I had terrible indigestion for about 3 years. It got progressively worse so that I had to take baking soda every night. On my recent trip to the USA, it was noticed that I would not eat late nor lots of food. A nurse at a BBQ gave me a packet of PRILOSEC 20mg. Back home I tried the medication. I was cured by taking only 1 tablet. I am finishing the packet, but had absolute no more problems nor symptoms after only 1 tablet. I have to say, that besides taking the medication, people also prayed for me."

Albert (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2018

For Barrett's Esophagus: "I have suffered with GERD (acid reflux) for over 20 years and was prescribed Omeprazole 20 mg twice a day. It has been very effective and I am able to eat anything although every once in awhile I get a terrible pain and have thought at times it is a heart attack. I recently found out I have Barrett’s Esophagus and have to be on this medication for the rest of my life. No issue as it works to take care of the issues in my digestive track."

Bernie (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2018

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: "?Works ok. But I can't get into the package! I'm 74 and have arthritis; it took me 20 minutes to stab and poke and get the darn pills into the daily boxes. If I try to push the pills out the little aluminum bubble, my nails break. I will certainly not use this stuff ever again; it doesn't seem like rocket science to make the pills actually AVAILABLE!!!! B (I hope this is helpful, even though it is grouchy)"

barb June 5, 2018

For GERD: "Started taking because of side effects from another medication that cause pain and dryness in throat. My pain in stomach and abdomen got worse and so did headaches. The dizziness came back that I had in the first place. Never had heartburn but now do. I'm just wondering how long it will take to get rid of the damage this omeprazole has done. I'm only on 2 other meds and they have nothing to do with my stomach or intestines. I know 2 other people that have same side effect that I have and some of other people and got off it."

pain (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

For GERD: "Excellent medication"

Evidio (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

For GERD: "I've been taking for a week started having mood changes getting upset, mad ,dizziness ,constipation and not able to concentrate at times. I stopped taking this drug. The old formula worked better now I'm taking baking soda and water again."

billy (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2018

For GERD: "Omeprazole has saved my life and giving me the confidence to eat food in and out of my house. My condition started about 4 years ago when I would notice food getting stuck in my throat. This got worse after 2 years. It even got to the stage I couldn't even enjoy a packet of crisps without it sticking in my throat. 1 day it got very serious where I felt food was stuck in my throat and I had to throw up to remove it. I made an appointment and got sent to hospital. After getting a camera put up my nose to view my upper esophagus the 2 doctors said there was nothing there and just drink more water. Thanks NHS. I knew that wasn't the case. I nearly lost all hope until I made an emergency appointment at my local doctors surgery. From that day on they prescribed me Almus 20mg Omepazole. 5 months on and I can eat whatever I want in confidence. The worry of family dinners and eating out with my wife is now a thing of the past. I am still careful how I eat and don't swallow too much at 1 time."

nipper1991 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: "I have taken Prilosec 40mg once a day for 4 years now. It manages my GERD well. Without it I would have severe reflux and have a damaged esophagus and stomach. I have had no side effects that I am aware of."

ET (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2018

For GERD: "When I was diagnosed with GERD and put on omeprazole it work quiet well so I stayed on it then after taking the drug for 5 years. I had something happen in my chest area like my heart fluttering and I couldn't get my breath it was like I was struggling for oxygen. This happened 2 other times and was very frightening . I changed to pantaprozole and it hasn't happened since. I just wanted to know if this as happened to anyone else after long term use ??"

Gert (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2018

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for GERD: "I must have taken too much for a period and caused me to have seizures! Do not take more than prescribed!"

Ed Rodríguez (taken for 10 years or more) March 19, 2018

For GERD: "My doctor recommended omeprazole for life-long acid reflux problem. It has worked quite well! But lately I've been reading about possible side-effects such as pancreatitis, liver problems, etc. Please advise."

kingfish (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 12, 2018

For GERD: "I was on this drug for 2 days for heartburn. Besides having heartburn, I am a very healthy and slim person. I am not normally on any medications. Two hours after taking the first dose I had vertigo (intense spinning) from tilting my head. I also had the worst chills. Even wrapping myself in a heavy down comforter did not help. I thought maybe it would be better the next day and kept taking the pills. Again two hours after taking the pill..more chills and vertigo. Heartburn seems safer than the chills and vertigo. I'll stick to baking soda and water."

Going back to natural remedies (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2018

For GERD: "I had my gallbladder removed in 1986 and had bad acid reflux after that. My doctor put me on Omeprazole, 20 mgs per day. I have taken it ever since. It really works for me. If I miss a dose, then the acid reflux is really bad. The downside of taking it is that I now have to have B12 injections, which (I have read) is because Omeprazole taken longterm, interferes with the absorbtion of B12."

nellysmummy (taken for 10 years or more) December 28, 2017

For GERD: "I had a weird thing for about 5-7 years where I would cough and gag, after I was completely done eating my food, and sometimes I would throw up in my hand or just acid would come up. I also noticed I couldn’t eat basically anything without having really bad acid reflux. I’ve been on omeprazole for about 2 years and it’s really really helped. I can eat regularly without getting really bad acid reflux. But I've noticed that when I do get it it’s way worse than when I got it before. My doctor also dropped my dose from 40mg to 20mg and it made me have acid reflux just not as bad."

kaelyn December 12, 2017

For Stomach Ulcer: "Day 2; so far so good."

Guh November 5, 2017