User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: Omesec, Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid (Original Formulation)

Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome

Hiatal Hernia

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Omeprazole reviews 7.7 149 reviews

Reviews for Omeprazole

For GERD: "This med has saved my life, I was in terrible shape before the meds. I highly recommend it. No issues with side effects."

Supreme_Court_Judge (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 2, 2018

For GERD: "Major side effects, such as uncontrollable bowels and bleeding. Switched back to pantoprazole which resulted in an immediate halt of these."

Pete (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2018

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: "I took this to help control acid reflux and it seemed to help that but it gave me IBS-D (irritable bowel syndrome , diarrhea) that took me years to control, where I couldn't work or leave the house. Still to this day I deal with it - 6 years later but improved. I never made the connection until I went back on Prilosec a few months ago and it flared up like crazy again. I never had problems like this before Prilosec."

Elliebeth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 28, 2018

For Hiatal Hernia: "I was having terrible indigestion due to hiatal hernia, was prescribed this medication and got terrible side effects. I am having trouble paying attention and I often times forget what I’m saying in the middle of talking. I stoped taking it and I’m hoping these cognitive problems clear up cause it’s really troubling."

Shaggy (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2018

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for Indigestion: "I had terrible indigestion for about 3 years. It got progressively worse so that I had to take baking soda every night. On my recent trip to the USA, it was noticed that I would not eat late nor lots of food. A nurse at a BBQ gave me a packet of PRILOSEC 20mg. Back home I tried the medication. I was cured by taking only 1 tablet. I am finishing the packet, but had absolute no more problems nor symptoms after only 1 tablet. I have to say, that besides taking the medication, people also prayed for me."

Albert (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2018

For Barrett's Esophagus: "I have suffered with GERD (acid reflux) for over 20 years and was prescribed Omeprazole 20 mg twice a day. It has been very effective and I am able to eat anything although every once in awhile I get a terrible pain and have thought at times it is a heart attack. I recently found out I have Barrett’s Esophagus and have to be on this medication for the rest of my life. No issue as it works to take care of the issues in my digestive track."

Bernie (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2018

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: "?Works ok. But I can't get into the package! I'm 74 and have arthritis; it took me 20 minutes to stab and poke and get the darn pills into the daily boxes. If I try to push the pills out the little aluminum bubble, my nails break. I will certainly not use this stuff ever again; it doesn't seem like rocket science to make the pills actually AVAILABLE!!!! B (I hope this is helpful, even though it is grouchy)"

barb June 5, 2018

For GERD: "Started taking because of side effects from another medication that cause pain and dryness in throat. My pain in stomach and abdomen got worse and so did headaches. The dizziness came back that I had in the first place. Never had heartburn but now do. I'm just wondering how long it will take to get rid of the damage this omeprazole has done. I'm only on 2 other meds and they have nothing to do with my stomach or intestines. I know 2 other people that have same side effect that I have and some of other people and got off it."

pain (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

For GERD: "Excellent medication"

Evidio (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

For GERD: "I've been taking for a week started having mood changes getting upset, mad ,dizziness ,constipation and not able to concentrate at times. I stopped taking this drug. The old formula worked better now I'm taking baking soda and water again."

billy (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2018

For GERD: "Omeprazole has saved my life and giving me the confidence to eat food in and out of my house. My condition started about 4 years ago when I would notice food getting stuck in my throat. This got worse after 2 years. It even got to the stage I couldn't even enjoy a packet of crisps without it sticking in my throat. 1 day it got very serious where I felt food was stuck in my throat and I had to throw up to remove it. I made an appointment and got sent to hospital. After getting a camera put up my nose to view my upper esophagus the 2 doctors said there was nothing there and just drink more water. Thanks NHS. I knew that wasn't the case. I nearly lost all hope until I made an emergency appointment at my local doctors surgery. From that day on they prescribed me Almus 20mg Omepazole. 5 months on and I can eat whatever I want in confidence. The worry of family dinners and eating out with my wife is now a thing of the past. I am still careful how I eat and don't swallow too much at 1 time."

nipper1991 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: "I have taken Prilosec 40mg once a day for 4 years now. It manages my GERD well. Without it I would have severe reflux and have a damaged esophagus and stomach. I have had no side effects that I am aware of."

ET (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2018

For GERD: "When I was diagnosed with GERD and put on omeprazole it work quiet well so I stayed on it then after taking the drug for 5 years. I had something happen in my chest area like my heart fluttering and I couldn't get my breath it was like I was struggling for oxygen. This happened 2 other times and was very frightening . I changed to pantaprozole and it hasn't happened since. I just wanted to know if this as happened to anyone else after long term use ??"

Gert (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2018

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for GERD: "I must have taken too much for a period and caused me to have seizures! Do not take more than prescribed!"

Ed Rodríguez (taken for 10 years or more) March 19, 2018

For GERD: "My doctor recommended omeprazole for life-long acid reflux problem. It has worked quite well! But lately I've been reading about possible side-effects such as pancreatitis, liver problems, etc. Please advise."

kingfish (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 12, 2018

For GERD: "I was on this drug for 2 days for heartburn. Besides having heartburn, I am a very healthy and slim person. I am not normally on any medications. Two hours after taking the first dose I had vertigo (intense spinning) from tilting my head. I also had the worst chills. Even wrapping myself in a heavy down comforter did not help. I thought maybe it would be better the next day and kept taking the pills. Again two hours after taking the pill..more chills and vertigo. Heartburn seems safer than the chills and vertigo. I'll stick to baking soda and water."

Going back to natural remedies (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2018

For GERD: "I had my gallbladder removed in 1986 and had bad acid reflux after that. My doctor put me on Omeprazole, 20 mgs per day. I have taken it ever since. It really works for me. If I miss a dose, then the acid reflux is really bad. The downside of taking it is that I now have to have B12 injections, which (I have read) is because Omeprazole taken longterm, interferes with the absorbtion of B12."

nellysmummy (taken for 10 years or more) December 28, 2017

For GERD: "I had a weird thing for about 5-7 years where I would cough and gag, after I was completely done eating my food, and sometimes I would throw up in my hand or just acid would come up. I also noticed I couldn’t eat basically anything without having really bad acid reflux. I’ve been on omeprazole for about 2 years and it’s really really helped. I can eat regularly without getting really bad acid reflux. But I've noticed that when I do get it it’s way worse than when I got it before. My doctor also dropped my dose from 40mg to 20mg and it made me have acid reflux just not as bad."

kaelyn December 12, 2017

For Stomach Ulcer: "Day 2; so far so good."

Guh November 5, 2017

For GERD: "I couldn't swallow a lot of foods. Food would get caught in my throat and I would have to throw it up. I also had acid reflux. This got progressively worse over 2 1/2 years. An endoscopy showed that I had erosive esophagitis. When I started taking omeprezole I was able to eat with no problems and had no more acid reflux."

C** October 6, 2017

For GERD: "I had severe acid reflux and I couldn't even drink water without getting severe heartburn. Now I never get it. Its such a relief. I eat whatever I want. Its great!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2017

Prilosec (omeprazole) for Indigestion: "I have taken this medication for over two decades and it works well. Without it I wouldn't be able to hardly eat anything. If I run out and have to wait to get my refills .. It usually takes several days before any horrible symptoms come back. I try to get my meds before that happens. It really does help in making life so much better. You can eat in a normal fashion but sensible. I try to drink plenty of water, so my meds won't be to much of a strain on my bladder & kidneys and all my organs. I know without this medicine I couldn't even drink water without suffering the consequences.. it was that bad."

fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2017

For GERD: "Please read my review it may help help you . I was on ranitidine 150mg x 2 per day for four months that failed to work it was the most awful drug I think anyone could of taken . At first my acid reflux at the time was so bad it was giving me sinusitis, panic attacks , sweaty palms, headaches , heart palpitations. When someone says acid reflux does not give you the above they are talking rubbish it does and here's how I know . Ranitidine gave me insomnia and anxiety it was evil to put it politely. In desperation I went to A&E and to the walk in clinic. They said I must have a problem with my heart as it was beating so fast Omperazole works and the best brand is LORAC is blue and white. Google it and specifically ask for it. xx"

Lilminxme (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

For GERD: "Omeprazole saved my life!!!!!!!"

K007 August 29, 2017

For GERD: "Have been on 20 mg brand name and OTC omeprazole for 20 years, daily. Prilosec and Nexium brands have always worked well. However, plain old generic 20 mg omeprazole, which is cheaper, has mixed results. Frequently, it is not effective so I have to take 2 over a 24 hr period to get the same relief. With next purchase I return to the brand name for the usual relief. This effect is not isolated, having experienced it many times since the drug went generic. I notice the generic maker is a huge pharmaceutical firm overseas. Who compares and verifies the actual strength of the generic vs. the domestic brand name?"

johndennismichael (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2017