User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Omesec

Omeprazole has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 288 ratings on Drugs.com. 43% of those users who reviewed Omeprazole reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome   10.0
Laryngopharyngeal Reflux  Off-label 3.6
Summary of Omeprazole reviews 5.6 288 reviews

Reviews for Omeprazole

DD March 5, 2021

For Barrett's Esophagus: “I was taking Pantoprazole and having serious side effects. Omeprazole is so much better so far. I have to take 20mg. 2 times daily or I get a bad headache. I have Barrett's Esophagus and its pretty bad. I have to watch what I eat or I get serious upper middle chest pain .I always have trouble with medication. Sending prayers to everyone who has this. It is not fun at all.”

ANXIETY March 3, 2021

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: “This medication will drag you to a place where you really don't want to be. What I'm feeling is chest heaviness, dizziness, severe anxiety, panic episodes, shakiness, sweating, diarrhea shortness of breath. It is nothing to worry about, my symptoms got better after a few weeks. However the doctor made me start it again and I now know that everything that just randomly started going wrong with me is all linked to this medication. And when I say anxiety I mean severe amplified anxiety. Like the kind were you can't sleep at night because you panic thinking tonight is the night. Do not take this medication. Ever. You don't know anxiety until you take this. I'm not sure why this is even a med to begin with. Keep your head up and read my review. I promise you'll be ok after a few weeks. You're not dying. Just going through a bad side effect that will subside.”

Rothers February 26, 2021

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: “After trying pregabalin for nerve pain, it gave me gastritis and the most horrific reflux. I couldn't breathe. I started Omeprazole on the 7th of Jan 2021 and the reflux reduced within 2 days. I then bumped up to 40mg (20 twice a day) to help my stomach heal (on the 14th of Jan). During my time on it I've had some horrible gas and bloating with sharp pains in my groin and the feeling like I was going to have a horrible BM, but with nothing happening. I have IBS too which doesn't help. The main concern I have is the pressure in my groin that makes me feel like I need to pee. Reading down this page and I'm thinking Omeprazole is the cause of all these extra issues not gastritis. I kept taking it because the problems were still there, but thinking back they only started when I started the Omeprazole. I would highly recommend it for reflux, but stick to the 2 week warning. (I've had scans so I know it's gas)”

Wasi · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2021

For Indigestion: “Please don't take this medicine. I am in ICU on a death bed my age is only 30. Due to using this medicine.I have severe burning sensation”

Chux · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2021

For GERD: “Took omeprazole for one week, felt dizzy and decided to stop. Two weeks later I had to retake it again and that was a huge mistake I made. This medication left me feeling very very dizzy, couldn't walk on my own, gave me eye pain and weakness of the body. It took me two weeks with so many blood tonics and fluid to get back on my feet. This medication is awaful. Please no one should use it”

Ddmarie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 10, 2021

For Barrett's Esophagus: “I keep trying it because the dr says I “need it” but since I’ve taken it it’s just made me feel like complete garbage. I didn’t even know I had reflux until I had the endo done. Well I had Barrett’s even worse then regular GERD but none the less. Ever since taking it I have had dizziness been overly anxious brain fog and some muscle pain and just exhausted. I had an undiagnosed autoimmune disease so I was chalking it up to that but I don’t think that’s the case at all. As soon as I started taking this is when I noticed. The only good thing it may have done is lowered my %EOS but I can’t even say for sure If this is why? I don’t know but this sure has me just stuck with what to do. I would recommend trying something different if you can and not taking this. Not to mention the long term side effects yuck! Scary stuff!”

Ruger · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 7, 2021

For GERD: “I have found the omeprazole that is a blue and orange capsule to be inferior. They do not help my symptoms at all. I NEVER have this problem with other manufacturers. I have been using this medication for years. I can double and triple the dose it still doesn't work. It's ridiculous.”

satchelmuffin · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2021

For GERD: “I complained about having sharp pains occasionally just below the breasts and the Dr. told me it was acid build up and that I should take an omeprazole every morning. On day 5 I got very lightheaded and dizzy every time I stood up, felt my heart racing, and felt anxious. I stopped taking the pills that day and three days later I'm still feeling lightheaded, a general feeling of heaviness in my chest, and, most concerning, a tidal wave of depression. I am wondering how long it will take this to get out of my system because I feel so wonky.”

tonis · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2021

For Stomach Ulcer: “Horrible headache and dizziness”

S alan · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 19, 2021

For GERD: “Been on this medication for a good 2 years or more. If you get any joint or tendon pain then quit this med immediately. One day both my thumbs had a lot of pain. Then about 3 months later a cascade of pain in my right shoulder, right elbow, lower back and left hip. I could barely get out of bed and impossible to even put on my socks. Seen 3 specialists but because of myopic vision they could only think arthritis . Finally I put 2 and 2 together and just quit the Omeprazole within two days started feeling better. But the damage was done as 3 tendons in my shoulder were severely damaged and my hip still has pain. Everything else went away. No faith in doctors but thanks to the internet and sites like this we will get by. It is an effective med but the side effects are very damaging.”

Lon · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2021

For GERD: “Watch out, pretty certain this drug gave me drug induced lupus!!!!”

Jack · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

For GERD: “Took 40mg once a day before breakfast. Noticed some anxiety on Day 5. By Day 11 I was completely toasted, I had brain fog, weight loss, nausea, blurry vision, and extreme anxiety. It has been 3 weeks since I quit this medicine. Brain fog has subsided however, anxiety keeps crawling in and out. Hang in there, stay tough. This medicine will take its course and time to wash out completely from your system. I am hoping to fully recover in near future. Exercise, and stay positive.”

Anonymous January 12, 2021

For Hiatal Hernia: “omeprazole does not work for Hiatal Hernia. I’ve tried them all (except for Protonix). The only one that works for me is Aciphex (rabeprazole).”

andy · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 10, 2021

For Duodenal Ulcer: “this drug omeprazole is the best on the market by far !!!! It cured my ulcers within a month! But I was recommended to take them for my hernia which pushes acid back into my gut long term ! Then after 6 /12 month the joint pains started I could barely walk, The pain was in my feet, knees the lot! I wondered what was going on with my body then I read the reviews. I stopped taking the pills and after 3 months there is no pain in joints ! It is wonderful drug SHORT TERM please listen !!!!!”

PC January 10, 2021

For GERD: “This omeprazole stuff is horrible. Sure, it got rid of the heartburn issues I was having, but the side effects are horrific and scary. Even more scary is they don't include the litany of scary side effects. While on this retched drug, I had pain in my thighs, slightly swollen lower legs, increased blood pressure, tingling in my hands and feet, lethargic legs, water retention, and a painful right testicle. Of course, none of these side effects, which can be found online on sites, but aren't mentioned on the packaging. So, while taking this dangerous drug, I was having these issues and not realizing it was the drug because these side effects weren't mentioned. I thought I was having some other type of horrible medical condition(s). Luckily, I realized all these conditions cropped up after I started the drug. Once stopped, my conditions all began to improve and go away. Beware of this cursed drug. It can screw you up big time. Never again.”

Angry · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2021

For Indigestion: “Took omeprazole for 5 months and am still reeling from the side effects that apparently don't exist! Random muscle spasms, complete pelvic/urinary failure including retention and inflammation which I previously didn't have! I haven't had reflux in a while and been off the meds for at least 5 months now, know what fixed my stomach? Diet filled with veg and cutting back on sugar and the western diet rubbish! Now I just need to fix my bladder and inflammation but I will never use a western medicine ever again!”

Bec · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2021

For GERD: “Absolutely horrible. Sure my stomach pain subsided, but the anxiety that came with it was NOT worth it. I had brain fog and anxiety all day. Even after stopping for 2 weeks I still have anxiety but there’s no more brain fog. Try to avoid to medication”

Anonymous December 18, 2020

For GERD: “Got bald spot in 45 days with omeprazole 80 mg daily. It sucks”

Gerdguy December 18, 2020

For GERD: “omeprazole helped my reflux but gave me terrible diarrhea. Loose burning stools, pale color”

Swiftdesire · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2020

For Indigestion: “omeprazole caused extreme anxiety, feeling like I am life is a struggle, panic attacks, weight loss(10kgs in 5 weeks), palpitations, chest and arm pain on left side, brain fog, weakness and chills in legs and arms, dizziness, nausea, general fatigue, numbness, flatulence, joint pain (hip) after gentle walks, forgetfulness, fear of eating. I have stopped cold turkey after having come across reviews of Omeprazole and Protonix which I took as well. Took Omeprazole for 2 weeks, got these symptoms, told the doctor who changed the med to be pantoprazole(protonix). The last 2.5 months or so have been the worst of my life so far, it has taken a toll on my family and work life too. Doctor thought I might need anti depressants given all the anxiety but after around a week or so of stopping these, I am starting to feel a bit better. So, I am not going to take anti anxiety related meds. It is a vicious cycle, PPIs cause depression and then you take depression meds that are difficult to stop!”

Susan · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 19, 2020

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for GERD: “I started taking Prilosec OTC 20mg tablets last year.... I didn't notice any side effects. My very mild GERD was definitely completely unnoticeable. I was happy.. Up until around 40 days ago. I realized that the hair loss I was experiencing was the Prilosec. The hair loss started 2 months after I began the 20mg tablets. Never had any hair loss in my life and I've taken tons of different meds over the years. I'm a female in my early 30s... I had to eliminate one other medication to come to the conclusion that it was indeed the Prilosec making me go completely bald. Hair was coming out in huge clumps in the shower... Every time I touched my hair, it fell out. My little remaining hair was also very dry & brittle. It was definitely stressful, I had no idea this could be a potential side effect of such a low dose once a day. 40 days off & the hair loss has dramatically decreased already. For me, that particular side effect was extreme, shocking, and unexpected..”

Ddmarie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2020

For Barrett's Esophagus: “So I was prescribed this medication by my GI Dr after having an endoscopy and colonoscopy in July he said I have Barrett’s Esophagus. I have never really realized I had heart burn very often and if I did I would just take a few tums I started on this omeprazole in August. Since that time I have started having side effects of stiff joints, brain fog, dizziness, extreme anxiety and heart palpitations. I ended up in the ER a few weeks ago because I honestly thought I was having a heart attack. My potassium was high, which has never been an issue before and after researching to try to figure out what was going on I came across these reviews and boy let me tell you sounded just like me! This stuff is just awful! I don’t know what to do because I know I’m suppose to be on it but everything you research as an alternative med for this seem to have the same effects! Needless to say my GI dr thinks I’m crazy because he’s never heard of these symptoms happening! Think it might be time to find a new Dr!”

Anonymous November 7, 2020

For GERD: “I went to the ENT doctor because I was having trouble swallowing my saliva so she stuck the tube up my nose and after she was done and told me the back of my throat was red and I have severe acid reflux before I even came to the ENT doctor I suffer from anxiety & depression already. Not knowing the drugs she prescribed me was going to make that worse I took omeprazole for 6 days and the side effects I couldn't deal with - my anxiety got worse I got more depressed, eyes felt dilated, I got a headache, diarrhea, woke up and my arms was slightly aching without me doing anything also having to clear my throat with nothing in my throat to be cleared and lose of appetite I will never take omeprazole again I'm going try the hopefully it leaves my systems soon I'm going to try the natural way”

Robbie3750 · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2020

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: “I was prescribed Prilosec 20 mg/day for dysphagia. I took it for one week. The dysphagia was alleviated, but I began to experience bad knee pain. After two sleepless nights, I discontinued it. Knee pain has subsided.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2020

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: “I can't convince my GI Dr. that this medicine has way too many side effects. Terrible headaches, insomnia, diarrhea, stomach pain, irritability, pounding heart beat when moving around / bending.”