User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: Omesec, Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid (Original Formulation)

Learn more about Omeprazole.

Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome 1 reviews 52 medications

Stomach Ulcer 5 reviews 106 medications

4.6
Summary of Omeprazole reviews 110 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Omeprazole

Prilosec (omeprazole) for Stomach Ulcer: "I was told to take this after what turns out to only have been a nasty stomach virus. Hospital thought it was ulcer. By day four of a 14 day course, I developed severe gum pain and it hurt to chew, I had a horrible taste in my mouth that wouldn't go away, throat gurgles that kept me awake, and shoulder pain. A quick internet search prompted me to quit this drug."

SunnyintheD January 5, 2017

For Erosive Esophagitis: "I had food stuck in my esophagus and it was very painful. The gastroenterologist did the procedure to stretch the opening and that has to be done again every 2 - 8 years. Then she placed me on one 40 mg of omeprazole capsule every morning. It works like a charm. Then I will suddenly lose the ability to swallow smoothly again. I will go have the procedure again. Then the omeprazole will work again very well until I do something stupid with my diet. I mess myself up with my diet or try to eat too fast. As long as I am careful about the method of which I chew my food and swallow it safely and not in such a dumb rush, I do okay. And the omeprazole works plus doesn't cause any side effects. Mornings B4 U eat is best but don't miss a dose."

Southerngirl2 (taken for 10 years or more) November 24, 2016

For Erosive Esophagitis: "With having discomfort for years after i had been to the doctors and they weren't quite sure what was wrong with me and diagnosed me with ibs. After years of not getting better they decided to do a endoscopy and it showed I had esophagitis. They started me of on 20mg for 2 weeks then increased to 40mg I must say I had no side effects and not one bellyache or chest pain or heartburn since I am overall happy with this drug."

Rattlebox84 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2016

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for GERD: "Thank God. I have not had to take the two pack of Prilosec that I have left. My story.. I was miserable for months taking several different otc medications. I finally called a research facility to try to join a study, to help cure my gerd. The agent I spoke with asked me if Prilosec had failed as a cure. I said id never tried it so I didn't qualify. If that was the way they determined the seriousness of your problem. (If Prilosec couldn't cure you, you must be really bad) then prilosec must be the best otc out there. So I took the 21 day cycle. I was so uncomfortable that I took 2 the first day. I don't recommend that, but I did. After 3 days I say a small improvement. After 1 week I was sure it was working. 21 days later completly cured"

D Broussard November 1, 2016

For GERD: "The VA prescribed this medication, have been using it for over a year, I found that Excessive Gas was experienced, also diarrhea, dizziness, bad headaches, when I stopped using this prescription the bad side effects went away. Now to find something that works for the GERD without all the bad side effects"

2ndguns (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2016

For Barrett's Esophagus: "Sour stomach"

Kong3319 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 3, 2016

For GERD: "I was diagnosed with acid re-flux in May of 2013 while seeing an E.N.T. about some laryngitis I'd had for a couple of months following a cold. He used a camera to look at my throat and said my acid re-flux was severe and that I should begin taking a prescribed medication; Omeprazole beginning that same day. I had never experienced heart burn in my life except while pregnant and believed the doctor was wrong, still, I did as he asked. Omeprazole 20 mg once each morning. After 6 mos of continued use I forgot to take it one morning. By early afternoon I had the worst heartburn EVER. I can't help feeling this me GAVE ME acid re-flux and now I'll have to take this medication for the rest of my life??"

Empress_Me (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 3, 2016

For GERD: "I have a hiatus hernia, causing GERD. I was put on 20mg Omeprazole in the morning, and have been on that dose for about 2 years. The GERD cleared up and generally has not come back (only if I have too many beers or eat too late at night!). No side effects noticed. I may talk to my doctor eventually about any long term use problems; but so far so good."

Dibby September 25, 2016

For GERD: "I was diagnosed years ago with a Hiatal hernia. It's not a bad one as far as Hiatal hernias go but it caused really bad acid reflux. My reflux was so bad, sometimes at night, the stomach acid would back up into my lungs. I would wake up coughing that crap up and it burned sooooo bad. The doctor who was in charge of my hernia care decided that the hernia wasn't bad enough to risk surgery so he opted to try Omeprazole. I have been on Omeprazole for nearly 10 years now and can count on one hand the number of times I have had issues with reflux. I also want to note that I take a multi-vitamin as well. Omeprazole can cause mineral deficiencies if taken long term."

Jwright7784 (taken for 10 years or more) July 23, 2016

For GERD: "My condition: GERD with mild haital hernia, and occasional gastritis. Two 20mg Omeprazol capsules (encapsulated granules) twice daily for 3 months, followed by 20mg twice daily for 1 month to taper off; for a near acute gastritis following endoscopic exam with no other abnormalities or HB infection. For me it seemed to work better when I took it it 1 hour before breakfast & 1 hour before (@ 5 pm) Dinner; rather than before going to bed... 1. It takes at least 3 days before any decrease in heartburn; but if I eat some wrong foods (acidic) my unforgiving stomach lets me know in the evening. 2. A few spaced-out mild headaches lasting up to an hour. 3. Dry lips with no irritation."

William.g July 12, 2016

For Indigestion: "I cannot swallow well and my doctor advised me to take 2 capsules per day. I have been taking it for a week now and every day since that I am burping and bloating non stop. It is terrible feeling, feels like any moment I will throw up but I cannot. Feels like if I throw up I will feel better but I just cannot. Food or whatever "comes up" and just stops there. After few hours gets a bit better but I bloat all day :( help?"

Micca (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2016

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: "I've taken this medication before for chronic reflux prior to the onset of my bulimia (which I'm currently attempting recovery for, but it's been a tough road), and in the last couple of years my reflux has been particularly bad and because of my bulimia I produce excess stomach acid. Within a day of starting Prilosec my reflux disappeared and within a week I began to generally physically feel much better because I no longer had constant acid in my esophagus. Prior to that, tums or baking soda would stop it for a few hours but it would always return. Now it's easier for me to just live normally and focus on healing my body minus the excess stomach acid and the damage it does in addition to the bulimic behavior."

xeniax June 4, 2016

For GERD: "I had h pylori so after finishing the tripple therapy i was put on ompeezole 20 mg per day. This my third month. I had depression and anxiety. Dry mouth night sweat genral weakness sometimes I feel like my body is shaking from inside i never had these issues before. I am confused is it side effect of this medicine or I am really going crazy"

Tired of beeing sick (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

For GERD: "Hiatus henna, Without omeprazole I would feel very uncomfortable and gunk in my throat"

Hilray May 25, 2016

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: "It is really a bad medicine. The doctor prescribed my wife to use this for gas relief. but my wife was not comfortable after one pill. Her ears and nose were blocked and she could sense the skipped heart beat. I don't recommend this product."

Chintukanna May 17, 2016

For GERD: "I have had ZERO heartburn and indigestion with this medication!! I am very happy with it and hope to continue to get the same results!"

Angela16 March 21, 2016

For GERD: "Doctor put me on this (20mg) because I told him I had really bad heartburn that wouldn't go away. Started taking it and felt immediate relief from the acid coming back up in my esophagus. I didnt really have any feelings of heartburn while on it. The only problems I experienced were a little indigestion in the beginning, like there wasn't enough acid in my stomach to digest to food properly. So make sure you chew your food really good and sip water with your food here and there. My bowels were okay, it just looked like my food wasnt 100% digested and that maybe I didnt abosrb all of the nutrients from the food. But it is well worth it because after a month of taking it, I stopped completely, and have only had heartburn a few times since then"

itsok March 18, 2016

For GERD: "I do have the same problem in taking omeprazole. when i take that medicine i always encounter palpitation and right chest pain like a heart burn and normally blocking nose.I only take gaviscon right now. it effects after 2 hours then my reflux subside. But still on and off situation."

leahcim07 March 14, 2016

For GERD: "Helped my acid reflux, I was taking medium and Jan, 2016 my insurance no longer covered, My doctor put me on omeprazole 40 mg 1aday, Did good for a couple of weeks. Then I started waking up at night with heart palpitations and skipped beat's. I didn't know why, Then the only thing I changed was talking the omeprazole, so I stopped taking it to see if that was causing my palpitations, Sure enough in about a week with out taking the omeprazole, my palpitations and skipped Heart Beat's went away. Now my acid reflux is back. Now I have to do something better."

Kay lee (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

For Barrett's Esophagus: "Positive"

LJA! February 21, 2016

For Barrett's Esophagus: "I have had side effects of nervousness and a few strong anxiety attacks. One that sent me to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. I meditate now when I feel it coming on."

n/a no details January 17, 2016

For Barrett's Esophagus: "I have a US ARMY service connected disability including GERD and BARRETT'S. The VA has subscribed OMEPRAZOLE or equivalent for the past 30 years (at least) The RX calls for 3 caps daily. However I only take 2, AM & PM. I can eat anything I want with no side effects. I have never in all these years ever been told about a time limit, 7 days. 14 days or any days\ ! ! I can only say that I can not be without these capsules, PERIOD. I guess the time limits must vary with each patient as I have NEVER had a problem.... I am now 86 years OLD !"

Bobby HW (taken for 10 years or more) January 10, 2016

For GERD: "I've had mostly positive experiences with Omeprazole and much prefer them over H2-receptor antagonists like Ranitidine. I was working a 5 day a week job but GERD meant I was only capable of working 2-3 of those days. Within a week of starting PPI therapy I was working the full week and within a couple of months felt fit and healthy enough to take on overtime to the tune of 13 days on shift, 1 day off. I've read about things such as calcium, magnesium, iron and vitamin b12 deficiency so I take supplements to boost those levels and stave off any unwanted, long term side effects. As far as short term side effects go I've had some minor constipation from it, some minor aversion to light and a couple of tension headaches in the first 2 months."

George T Hartfiel December 10, 2015

For GERD: "I began taking Omeprazole a few years ago due to Gerd. Recently I was diagnosed with IBS with constipation, some cramping, pain. I had an Upper GI (EGD), polyps were found in the body of stomach and fundus and also gastric polyps were found. Luckily results were good, not the pre-c type. Doctors should be made to have to give you a warning about this before starting the medication. I'm going to wean myself off of this poison."

BreeG (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2015

For Barrett's Esophagus: "I wish I could've been on this much earlier. I first started getting acid reflux with my first pregnancy and it continued for over 20 years. I never knew how dangerous it is...even though there'd be nights I wake up choking, coughing and feeling like someone poured acid down. Two years ago, I started choking on poultry and larger pills. After months of scares, finally saw a doctor. After a few tests & endoscopy, my esophagus was actually closing up. The doctor had to widen it...the reflux had caused so much scarring, he said he could only open it up 2/3 of what it should be. I always thought acid reflux was just an inconvience---never knew it could cause so much damage and potentially could have killed me. Omeprazole really helped."

SoDo44 October 14, 2015