User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: Omesec, Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid (Original Formulation)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Omeprazole.

Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome

Stomach Ulcer
4.9

Summary of Omeprazole reviews 7.9 131 reviews

Reviews for Omeprazole

For Stomach Ulcer: "Day 2; so far so good."

Guh November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I couldn't swallow a lot of foods. Food would get caught in my throat and I would have to throw it up. I also had acid reflux. This got progressively worse over 2 1/2 years. An endoscopy showed that I had erosive esophagitis. When I started taking omeprezole I was able to eat with no problems and had no more acid reflux."

C** October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I had severe acid reflux and I couldn't even drink water without getting severe heartburn. Now I never get it. Its such a relief. I eat whatever I want. Its great!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prilosec (omeprazole) for Indigestion: "I have taken this medication for over two decades and it works well. Without it I wouldn't be able to hardly eat anything. If I run out and have to wait to get my refills .. It usually takes several days before any horrible symptoms come back. I try to get my meds before that happens. It really does help in making life so much better. You can eat in a normal fashion but sensible. I try to drink plenty of water, so my meds won't be to much of a strain on my bladder & kidneys and all my organs. I know without this medicine I couldn't even drink water without suffering the consequences.. it was that bad."

fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "Please read my review it may help help you . I was on ranitidine 150mg x 2 per day for four months that failed to work it was the most awful drug I think anyone could of taken . At first my acid reflux at the time was so bad it was giving me sinusitis, panic attacks , sweaty palms, headaches , heart palpitations. When someone says acid reflux does not give you the above they are talking rubbish it does and here's how I know . Ranitidine gave me insomnia and anxiety it was evil to put it politely. In desperation I went to A&E and to the walk in clinic. They said I must have a problem with my heart as it was beating so fast Omperazole works and the best brand is LORAC is blue and white. Google it and specifically ask for it. xx"

Lilminxme (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "Omeprazole saved my life!!!!!!!"

K007 August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "Have been on 20 mg brand name and OTC omeprazole for 20 years, daily. Prilosec and Nexium brands have always worked well. However, plain old generic 20 mg omeprazole, which is cheaper, has mixed results. Frequently, it is not effective so I have to take 2 over a 24 hr period to get the same relief. With next purchase I return to the brand name for the usual relief. This effect is not isolated, having experienced it many times since the drug went generic. I notice the generic maker is a huge pharmaceutical firm overseas. Who compares and verifies the actual strength of the generic vs. the domestic brand name?"

johndennismichael (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Barrett's Esophagus: "Started with Losec, which proved to be immediately effective, then was switched to omeprasol with no decrease in efficacy."

Battle August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Barrett's Esophagus: "I have had GERD and Barrett's esophagus for many years and have been taking 20mg of omeprazole every day in the morning since the drug was approved by the FDA (early 1990's?). It has changed my life by eliminating the constant pain of severe heartburn with little to no side effects (I guess I'm lucky in that respect). My ENT doc says I will need to be on this drug for the rest of my life to ward off the potential of the Barrett's turning into esophageal cancer. Not to mention the comfort I am getting and the food choices I can make that no longer bother me and trigger heartburn."

Flumpet (taken for 10 years or more) July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "Has worked well in keeping acid reflux in check."

JoseDirt July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer: "I take this after Biatric surgery had lots of stomach bleeds so l have to take this drug for the rest of my life"

Stephtvb (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I have been taking omeprozole off and on for over 15 years with good results. Only this G230 G generic has a taste like epoxy glue and causes stomach pain and dyspepsia."

Blues Cat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for GERD: "I was having bad heartburn (GERD) everyday and having to take to many antacids. My doctor suggested OTC Prilosec. After 24 hours all pain was gone and has not returned. It has been a blessing. Today is the 7th day of 14 day treatment. I am waiting to see if the heartburn returns after I complete the recommended 14 day treatment. I hope not."

Gerd. (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: "I've been having problems for years with my stomach and GERD. I was put on prilosec and was told that it would possibly cause an upset stomach to begin with but to try to work through it. I took it for around 5 months but I could not handle it anymore. I kept stomach cramps and an upset stomach the whole time. I couldn't keep enough fluids in me to keep myself hydrated. Months later I was prescribed it again and tried it once again. Same thing but worse. I had bad blood work come back saying my kidneys weren't working right and my potassium was so low I was admitted into the Hosp. Since then my kidneys are still not OK. I've been peeing blood on and off. I am pretty sure that this medicine has messed my kidneys up. Bad stuff for me"

Beck256 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Multiple Endocrine Adenomas: "excellent my stomach was a mess pains tightness bloated did a colonoscopy which cleared a few problems but still had problems and potty 6 times a day in pain and took for ever. Doctor tried other meds, expensive and not cured. He tried this and I almost gave up - it takes a while. The doctor said nothing to lose, stick with it to really get going. It is three months now and its really helped my stomach. I move my bowels twice a day, with ease and no cramps, or pain at all. "

andyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "My symptoms were coughing up clear salty mucus for over 3 yrs then 3 months ago burning sensation between the ribs just above the diaphram, pain in the middle of the back( the burning is what forced me to see doc two months ago ).He put me on Lanso for 6 weeks. The burning between the ribs reduced. Then doc decided to let me continue meds and changed to Omeprazole one capsule at night. The burning sensation is almost completely gone. I have that feeling that food is stuck around the middle of my chest something I never felt before meds. I have also noticed that during menstrual, the usual mild headaches turn into bad migraines, dizziness, muscle cramps and body weakness. After menstrual, these symptoms reduce except the muscle weakness and cough. : ("

Lorne38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Barrett's Esophagus: "I have been on 20 mg @ day for at least past 8 years. Treatment for Barretts included "resectioning" of technology esophagus Side effects are minimal when compared to the sensations of burning acid coming through throat and nose."

Seadnabeag7 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I didn't know I had GERD as I've never experience heartburn. I did, however, experience difficulty swallowing and I constantly had to clear my throat. I couldn't get a sentence out without making this annoying noise. I thought I had post nasal drip, I was taking Claritin D every day (I stopped) and Flonase. My Primary sent me to an ENT, I complained about this throat thing forever. After listening to me talk and hearing the hoarseness in my voice the ENT said; "I don't think you have post nasal drip" put the camera through my nose and down my throat - I have Gerd... say whaa. I had no symptoms of that, so I thought. That day I started taking 40 mg of OMEPRAZOLE... It has changed my life... almost immediately it went 90% away. :-)"

LFallon February 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: "It's effective however the side effects are horrible"

Candi1482 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer: "I have stomach issues and within the first week I had worse stomach cramps and pain and throat gurgles. It made my symptoms worse."

Noley January 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer: "STAY WELL CLEAR OF THIS MEDICINE AS ITS NOT FOR ALL!!! I was only on omeprazole for 5 days and I was sweating at nights spaced out all day very dizzy! Can feel my heart beating! I thought there was something up with me but I now know it was the omeprazole. See your doctor if you have bad side effects to discuss other treatments."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prilosec (omeprazole) for Stomach Ulcer: "I was told to take this after what turns out to only have been a nasty stomach virus. Hospital thought it was ulcer. By day four of a 14 day course, I developed severe gum pain and it hurt to chew, I had a horrible taste in my mouth that wouldn't go away, throat gurgles that kept me awake, and shoulder pain. A quick internet search prompted me to quit this drug."

SunnyintheD January 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Erosive Esophagitis: "I had food stuck in my esophagus and it was very painful. The gastroenterologist did the procedure to stretch the opening and that has to be done again every 2 - 8 years. Then she placed me on one 40 mg of omeprazole capsule every morning. It works like a charm. Then I will suddenly lose the ability to swallow smoothly again. I will go have the procedure again. Then the omeprazole will work again very well until I do something stupid with my diet. I mess myself up with my diet or try to eat too fast. As long as I am careful about the method of which I chew my food and swallow it safely and not in such a dumb rush, I do okay. And the omeprazole works plus doesn't cause any side effects. Mornings B4 U eat is best but don't miss a dose."

Southerngirl2 (taken for 10 years or more) November 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Erosive Esophagitis: "With having discomfort for years after i had been to the doctors and they weren't quite sure what was wrong with me and diagnosed me with ibs. After years of not getting better they decided to do a endoscopy and it showed I had esophagitis. They started me of on 20mg for 2 weeks then increased to 40mg I must say I had no side effects and not one bellyache or chest pain or heartburn since I am overall happy with this drug."

Rattlebox84 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for GERD: "Thank God. I have not had to take the two pack of Prilosec that I have left. My story.. I was miserable for months taking several different otc medications. I finally called a research facility to try to join a study, to help cure my gerd. The agent I spoke with asked me if Prilosec had failed as a cure. I said id never tried it so I didn't qualify. If that was the way they determined the seriousness of your problem. (If Prilosec couldn't cure you, you must be really bad) then prilosec must be the best otc out there. So I took the 21 day cycle. I was so uncomfortable that I took 2 the first day. I don't recommend that, but I did. After 3 days I say a small improvement. After 1 week I was sure it was working. 21 days later completly cured"

D Broussard November 1, 2016