User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: Omesec, Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid (Original Formulation)

Learn more about Omeprazole.

Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome 1 reviews 52 medications

Stomach Ulcer 8 reviews 106 medications

4.7
Summary of Omeprazole reviews 122 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Omeprazole

For GERD: "Has worked well in keeping acid reflux in check."

JoseDirt July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer: "I take this after Biatric surgery had lots of stomach bleeds so l have to take this drug for the rest of my life"

Stephtvb (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I have been taking omeprozole off and on for over 15 years with good results. Only this G230 G generic has a taste like epoxy glue and causes stomach pain and dyspepsia."

Blues Cat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for GERD: "I was having bad heartburn (GERD) everyday and having to take to many antacids. My doctor suggested OTC Prilosec. After 24 hours all pain was gone and has not returned. It has been a blessing. Today is the 7th day of 14 day treatment. I am waiting to see if the heartburn returns after I complete the recommended 14 day treatment. I hope not."

Gerd. (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: "I've been having problems for years with my stomach and GERD. I was put on prilosec and was told that it would possibly cause an upset stomach to begin with but to try to work through it. I took it for around 5 months but I could not handle it anymore. I kept stomach cramps and an upset stomach the whole time. I couldn't keep enough fluids in me to keep myself hydrated. Months later I was prescribed it again and tried it once again. Same thing but worse. I had bad blood work come back saying my kidneys weren't working right and my potassium was so low I was admitted into the Hosp. Since then my kidneys are still not OK. I've been peeing blood on and off. I am pretty sure that this medicine has messed my kidneys up. Bad stuff for me"

Beck256 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Multiple Endocrine Adenomas: "excellent my stomach was a mess pains tightness bloated did a colonoscopy which cleared a few problems but still had problems and potty 6 times a day in pain and took for ever. Doctor tried other meds, expensive and not cured. He tried this and I almost gave up - it takes a while. The doctor said nothing to lose, stick with it to really get going. It is three months now and its really helped my stomach. I move my bowels twice a day, with ease and no cramps, or pain at all. "

andyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "My symptoms were coughing up clear salty mucus for over 3 yrs then 3 months ago burning sensation between the ribs just above the diaphram, pain in the middle of the back( the burning is what forced me to see doc two months ago ).He put me on Lanso for 6 weeks. The burning between the ribs reduced. Then doc decided to let me continue meds and changed to Omeprazole one capsule at night. The burning sensation is almost completely gone. I have that feeling that food is stuck around the middle of my chest something I never felt before meds. I have also noticed that during menstrual, the usual mild headaches turn into bad migraines, dizziness, muscle cramps and body weakness. After menstrual, these symptoms reduce except the muscle weakness and cough. : ("

Lorne38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Barrett's Esophagus: "I have been on 20 mg @ day for at least past 8 years. Treatment for Barretts included "resectioning" of technology esophagus Side effects are minimal when compared to the sensations of burning acid coming through throat and nose."

Seadnabeag7 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I didn't know I had GERD as I've never experience heartburn. I did, however, experience difficulty swallowing and I constantly had to clear my throat. I couldn't get a sentence out without making this annoying noise. I thought I had post nasal drip, I was taking Claritin D every day (I stopped) and Flonase. My Primary sent me to an ENT, I complained about this throat thing forever. After listening to me talk and hearing the hoarseness in my voice the ENT said; "I don't think you have post nasal drip" put the camera through my nose and down my throat - I have Gerd... say whaa. I had no symptoms of that, so I thought. That day I started taking 40 mg of OMEPRAZOLE... It has changed my life... almost immediately it went 90% away. :-)"

LFallon February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: "It's effective however the side effects are horrible"

Candi1482 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer: "I have stomach issues and within the first week I had worse stomach cramps and pain and throat gurgles. It made my symptoms worse."

Noley January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer: "STAY WELL CLEAR OF THIS MEDICINE AS ITS NOT FOR ALL!!! I was only on omeprazole for 5 days and I was sweating at nights spaced out all day very dizzy! Can feel my heart beating! I thought there was something up with me but I now know it was the omeprazole. See your doctor if you have bad side effects to discuss other treatments."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prilosec (omeprazole) for Stomach Ulcer: "I was told to take this after what turns out to only have been a nasty stomach virus. Hospital thought it was ulcer. By day four of a 14 day course, I developed severe gum pain and it hurt to chew, I had a horrible taste in my mouth that wouldn't go away, throat gurgles that kept me awake, and shoulder pain. A quick internet search prompted me to quit this drug."

SunnyintheD January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Erosive Esophagitis: "I had food stuck in my esophagus and it was very painful. The gastroenterologist did the procedure to stretch the opening and that has to be done again every 2 - 8 years. Then she placed me on one 40 mg of omeprazole capsule every morning. It works like a charm. Then I will suddenly lose the ability to swallow smoothly again. I will go have the procedure again. Then the omeprazole will work again very well until I do something stupid with my diet. I mess myself up with my diet or try to eat too fast. As long as I am careful about the method of which I chew my food and swallow it safely and not in such a dumb rush, I do okay. And the omeprazole works plus doesn't cause any side effects. Mornings B4 U eat is best but don't miss a dose."

Southerngirl2 (taken for 10 years or more) November 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Erosive Esophagitis: "With having discomfort for years after i had been to the doctors and they weren't quite sure what was wrong with me and diagnosed me with ibs. After years of not getting better they decided to do a endoscopy and it showed I had esophagitis. They started me of on 20mg for 2 weeks then increased to 40mg I must say I had no side effects and not one bellyache or chest pain or heartburn since I am overall happy with this drug."

Rattlebox84 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for GERD: "Thank God. I have not had to take the two pack of Prilosec that I have left. My story.. I was miserable for months taking several different otc medications. I finally called a research facility to try to join a study, to help cure my gerd. The agent I spoke with asked me if Prilosec had failed as a cure. I said id never tried it so I didn't qualify. If that was the way they determined the seriousness of your problem. (If Prilosec couldn't cure you, you must be really bad) then prilosec must be the best otc out there. So I took the 21 day cycle. I was so uncomfortable that I took 2 the first day. I don't recommend that, but I did. After 3 days I say a small improvement. After 1 week I was sure it was working. 21 days later completly cured"

D Broussard November 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "The VA prescribed this medication, have been using it for over a year, I found that Excessive Gas was experienced, also diarrhea, dizziness, bad headaches, when I stopped using this prescription the bad side effects went away. Now to find something that works for the GERD without all the bad side effects"

2ndguns (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Barrett's Esophagus: "Sour stomach"

Kong3319 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I was diagnosed with acid re-flux in May of 2013 while seeing an E.N.T. about some laryngitis I'd had for a couple of months following a cold. He used a camera to look at my throat and said my acid re-flux was severe and that I should begin taking a prescribed medication; Omeprazole beginning that same day. I had never experienced heart burn in my life except while pregnant and believed the doctor was wrong, still, I did as he asked. Omeprazole 20 mg once each morning. After 6 mos of continued use I forgot to take it one morning. By early afternoon I had the worst heartburn EVER. I can't help feeling this me GAVE ME acid re-flux and now I'll have to take this medication for the rest of my life??"

Empress_Me (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I have a hiatus hernia, causing GERD. I was put on 20mg Omeprazole in the morning, and have been on that dose for about 2 years. The GERD cleared up and generally has not come back (only if I have too many beers or eat too late at night!). No side effects noticed. I may talk to my doctor eventually about any long term use problems; but so far so good."

Dibby September 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I was diagnosed years ago with a Hiatal hernia. It's not a bad one as far as Hiatal hernias go but it caused really bad acid reflux. My reflux was so bad, sometimes at night, the stomach acid would back up into my lungs. I would wake up coughing that crap up and it burned sooooo bad. The doctor who was in charge of my hernia care decided that the hernia wasn't bad enough to risk surgery so he opted to try Omeprazole. I have been on Omeprazole for nearly 10 years now and can count on one hand the number of times I have had issues with reflux. I also want to note that I take a multi-vitamin as well. Omeprazole can cause mineral deficiencies if taken long term."

Jwright7784 (taken for 10 years or more) July 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "My condition: GERD with mild haital hernia, and occasional gastritis. Two 20mg Omeprazol capsules (encapsulated granules) twice daily for 3 months, followed by 20mg twice daily for 1 month to taper off; for a near acute gastritis following endoscopic exam with no other abnormalities or HB infection. For me it seemed to work better when I took it it 1 hour before breakfast & 1 hour before (@ 5 pm) Dinner; rather than before going to bed... 1. It takes at least 3 days before any decrease in heartburn; but if I eat some wrong foods (acidic) my unforgiving stomach lets me know in the evening. 2. A few spaced-out mild headaches lasting up to an hour. 3. Dry lips with no irritation."

William.g July 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Indigestion: "I cannot swallow well and my doctor advised me to take 2 capsules per day. I have been taking it for a week now and every day since that I am burping and bloating non stop. It is terrible feeling, feels like any moment I will throw up but I cannot. Feels like if I throw up I will feel better but I just cannot. Food or whatever "comes up" and just stops there. After few hours gets a bit better but I bloat all day :( help?"

Micca (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: "I've taken this medication before for chronic reflux prior to the onset of my bulimia (which I'm currently attempting recovery for, but it's been a tough road), and in the last couple of years my reflux has been particularly bad and because of my bulimia I produce excess stomach acid. Within a day of starting Prilosec my reflux disappeared and within a week I began to generally physically feel much better because I no longer had constant acid in my esophagus. Prior to that, tums or baking soda would stop it for a few hours but it would always return. Now it's easier for me to just live normally and focus on healing my body minus the excess stomach acid and the damage it does in addition to the bulimic behavior."

xeniax June 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I had h pylori so after finishing the tripple therapy i was put on ompeezole 20 mg per day. This my third month. I had depression and anxiety. Dry mouth night sweat genral weakness sometimes I feel like my body is shaking from inside i never had these issues before. I am confused is it side effect of this medicine or I am really going crazy"

Tired of beeing sick (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016