User Reviews for Omeprazole to treat Gastritis/Duodenitis

Also known as: Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Omesec

Omeprazole has an average rating of 3.3 out of 10 from a total of 29 ratings for the treatment of Gastritis/Duodenitis. 10% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 62% reported a negative effect.

Omeprazole Rating Summary

3.3/10 average rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Gastritis/Duodenitis.

Reviews for Omeprazole

Marieski858 September 6, 2021

“DO. NOT. TAKE. HORRIFIC side effects. Took this for only 5 days due to gastritis, ulcer symptoms on and off for about a year. Decided to take Omeprazole for a few weeks after repeated recommendations by my doc to heal the ulcer once and for all. An enormous mistake. 5 days in, suddenly panicky, dizzy, faint, heart beating painfully hard for hours, pulse sky high, numb hands and legs and an ambulance ride to the ER, I thought I was having a heart attack! Released the next day, they basically found nothing. Night after night, waking up in a panicked sweat feeling claustrophobic like I was losing it, unable to sleep due to the fear and pounding heartbeat. (And 2 kids to care for!)I was a complete mental and physical wreck. I have NEVER had anxiety or had a panic attack ever in my life so it was obvious these pills had done me in. Been off for 2 weeks, acupuncture and herbs to detox hopefully as quick as I can. DON’T TAKE this stuff!!!!”

ANXIETY March 3, 2021

“This medication will drag you to a place where you really don't want to be. What I'm feeling is chest heaviness, dizziness, severe anxiety, panic episodes, shakiness, sweating, diarrhea shortness of breath. It is nothing to worry about, my symptoms got better after a few weeks. However the doctor made me start it again and I now know that everything that just randomly started going wrong with me is all linked to this medication. And when I say anxiety I mean severe amplified anxiety. Like the kind were you can't sleep at night because you panic thinking tonight is the night. Do not take this medication. Ever. You don't know anxiety until you take this. I'm not sure why this is even a med to begin with. Keep your head up and read my review. I promise you'll be ok after a few weeks. You're not dying. Just going through a bad side effect that will subside.”

Marieski858 · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2021

“Left my experience already but wanted to post an update. After all the tests and scans, blood work is all good, mild anxiety sometimes still, a few PACS and PVCS (Heartbeat issue)which I believe are caused by Omeprazole induced anxiety. Acupuncture the last month, liver detox herbs, clay bath detox, vitamins d3, K + supplements NAC (N-Ateyl Cysteine), zinc and probiotics are helping me. I’ve researched many a scientific journal + medical research papers regarding the science behind this drug and why the long list of adverse reactions. Long story short, this drug works not only in the stomach as a “proton pump”, or to stop the pump action to interact with certain enzymes and processes to create acid, but also works in cells throughout the body. It damages processes affecting amino acids such as glutathione which are essential for brain health + neurotransmitters. Do your research but know there is a reason for all of this and we can heal with remedies + time! xo!”

loilen June 11, 2021

“Got diagnosed with Gastritis and was prescribed omeprazole for 5 weeks. Got the full package side effects - tingling in my arms and feet, buzzing in my back, buzzing in my left calf, weakness to the point where i was barely able to lift it, extreme anxiety, waking up during the night with my heart racing, pain and burning on the left under the ribs, lost 14 kilos in 3 weeks. Today it is 3 weeks since I stopped taking it, anxiety lifted 3 days ago and is no longer there, tingling in my arms and feet is gone, burning the stomach too, the only thing left is slight weakness in my left calf still, but that's improving slowly. I have an appetite, weight is going up steady. If you are reading this, hang in there, stay tough, it takes a while for that poison to wear off, keep yourself hydrated and take vitamins and electrolytes, probiotics help with anxiety, it gets better. I honestly thought this nightmare will never end. PPI - never again !”

Anonymous September 14, 2021

“Had chest pains and breathlessness for weeks. Initially thought there was a problem with my heart. Had blood tests, ultrasound, ECG etc eventually diagnosed with sliding hiatus hernia and gastritis via endoscopy. Doctor prescribed 20mg omeprazole once per day on the advice of the endoscopist. Big mistake! Omeprazole gave me severe abdominal pain - my entire abdomen was in painful spasms. Needless to say I stopped taking it after 2 days. The next day I was still in pain but by day four it had stopped. Do not take this medication!”

Big c · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 23, 2021

“I have had stomach problems over the last few years. Initially caused by h pylori I was prescribed antibiotics and 20mg omeprazole after the h pylori was cleared I was recommended to stay on the 20mg of omeprazole for a period of time. 5 years later I am still stuck on this pill the side effects are horrendous I've never felt as tired in all my life I feel very depressed and low. I have severe cramps in my stomach and severe back pain in general I always have a feeling of unwellness I've also been recently diagnosed as having chronic gastritis which I am sure is a side effect from taking omeprazole for so long. However when I stop taking it for a week I feel absolutely amazing if to describe just normal however it's short lived and my acid reflux and heart burn flare up and I have to go back on the omeprazole. It's a vicious cycle I wish I had never took this drug ever in the first place I am a shadow of my former self. I would really like to know if anyone is in the same position”

Dani March 19, 2020

“I started taking omeprazole pill at 20mg dose It took a while to take some effect but still had breakthrough burning. 1 and a half weeks into taking this pill the horrendous side effects kicked in. I can’t even describe how horrible this medicine made me feel. I literally had the worst nausea imaginable. My stomach would literally spasm/convulse/ and tighten. Body fatigue to the point of nearly passing out at work. I’ve never felt so sickly in my entire life. I lost my appetite. I lost weight drastically (20 lbs in the span of 2 weeks). My doctor told me to try 40mg because of the breakthrough burning and that’s when I nearly checked myself into the ER. My coworkers were very concerned with me not looking or feeling like my typical self. That’s when I stopped taking the pill cold turkey. Within a couple days I regained my appetite and started eating and feeling better with no more nausea and stomach tightness. Honestly beware of this pill.”

LUK · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2020

“I was taking this medication for 10 months and I’m now into my third week of stopping. The first week-10 days off of it I suffered terrible rebound and severe stomach cramps. Thankfully through dietary changes and perseverance I can honestly say I’ve felt the best I have in a long time. Advice to anybody prescribe this medication... try and heal your condition through dietary changes and/or natural medication. This medication interferes with a natural process and long term side effects have severe consequences.”

Ani March 30, 2021

“I was diagnosed with mild gastritis with no h.pylori Actually I had severe heart burn It's all in June 2020 Doctor prescribed me esmoprazole 20 mg Day 3 of esmoprazole started feeling dizziness ...bloated stomach sharp pain in back. Felt like my bones are breaking. After 15 days went to doctor whether anything serious with the medicine. He changed the prescription with pantaprazole 40 mg for 60 days and dusbatalin...after taking pantaprazole I started have anxiety, heart burn frequently, drowsiness ,started vomitting. But, what happened I couldn't eat, wallk nothing had stopped the medicine cold turkey. After that had good diet. Again started with heartburn occasionally. Again doctor prescribed me omoprazole. Again after two weeks started anxiety, shivering, back pain, jaw pain. Without consulting doctor I stopped my medicine. After 8 months March 2021.. we can cure this naturally”

Ace · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2020

“Took 20mg omeprazole a day for 5 days. I changed from a healthy, happy human being to a sad, thin, nauseous shell. I've lost half a stone and struggle to get out of bed. My heart races every morning until late afternoon. I am constantly exhausted and have lost interest in everything I once enjoyed. Standing in the shower is like a day's work. Took my last one 2 days ago and still feel like rubbish”

Sasha · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2020

“I was diagnosed with acid reflux and gastritis and My doctor prescribed me omeprazole 40 mgs. This might be the worst medicine I have ever taken. It did absolutely nothing to help my problems and it gave me the worst side effects: nausea, stomach pain, gas, very nervous, insommia. This is the worst medicine! I thought I had IBS, and my doctor even diagnosed me but I stopped taking this medicine and my IBS magically went away. Do not take this medicine...I rather just take tums.”

goat · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2020

“I believe the medicine worked, but began to experience terrible side effects after three weeks; chest pain that radiated to back, night sweats, dizziness, headache, loss of appetite. I stopped for two days and symptoms began to clear up.”

SL July 5, 2021

“I had severe nausea and hunger pains, started taking Prilosec OTC, began to slowly help and my stool became a little off. Doctor said gastritis/GERD, 40mg omeprazole prescription, 30 days worth. Within a couple days it went downhill, every trip to the bathroom was terrifying, had strange color stool, strange texture, was so much undigested food and mucus I thought I had something else and was dying, not to mention the anxiety this medicine gave me was horrifying, would have insane panic attacks before bed, and every time the side affects hit I would nearly have a stroke my heart was racing so fast with nervousness. Various places in my stomach would burn and throb at various times, pain in my lower right abdomen and behind my ribs, I would have a sharp pain through my ribs and back that felt like all my organs were being destroyed right in front of me”

St.AlbansDebz · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2021

“I am having really strong side effects with these meds. I am not sure if they occur in the first few days. I can't take them during a working day as I get too tired. I have felt slight relief after taking them. I have chronic gastritis.”

Chanty · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2020

“I’m on day 3 of Omeprazole , makes me feel dizzy, short of breath , palpitations and fatigued . Will stop using tomorrow. My heartburn is mildly relieved but I rather the heartburn than the rest of these odd symptoms.”

snake · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

“Been on this medication omeprazole for two months and just went off a two weeks ago. Started to get flu like symptoms. Went to the doctor twice one time he said that it was allergies and he gave me a kenalog 40 shot. Two days latter I went back and he said now I have a viral sinus infection. I've been off work for a week and I finally went on line and did some research and I found out this is most likely withdrawal symptoms. I been have heartburn, pain near my belly button, chills, stomach growling, fatigue, sweats, burning in my legs, jaw pain, head aches, diarrhea, and shakiness. My urine color is good and I am not having bloody stools so I know that I'm not having major issues. These PPI's are really bad since the side effects are worst that the what is suppose to be treating.”

Butterflyliz · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 23, 2019

“I had an endoscopy done and was told I have gastritis and hiatal hernia. I was given Omeprazole. 20mg twice daily I felt better it worked I was feeling like myself again. But it's been over 9 months and I feel that long term use is causing some bad side effects - headaches, dizziness, constipation and flatulance. I thought the gastritis was getting worse or my hernia. But then I stopped taking the Omeprazole 20 mg. It's been 2 days. And I feel like my self Again I'm thinking taking this medicine for a long time will start causing you to feel sick”

DeeDee · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2019

“I was diagnosed with gastritis in August. I began taking omeprazole and immediately experience the side effects. Then I was switched to prantaprozole. I couldn't take this side effects. I decided to not take any medicine at all and just try with foods. It became hard for me to eat anything. I have the lump in my throat feeling and it keeps me from eating. Now I'm back on omeprazole and the side effects are horrible! I feel weak, and the dizziness is way to much. I still barely eat anything but I'm back to eating solid foods. Does this go away? I've been taking it for almost a week now.”

KaR · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2021

“I was prescribed this drug by an NP to treat gastritis, at 20mg daily for 30 days. I had been diagnosed with gastritis before and was told to take Pepcid daily and I had no issues with that. The NP told me the only side effect I might experience taking omeprazole was diarrhea. In reality, what I experienced was a massive increase in anxiety depression and nightly panic attacks. My resting heart rate has gone up about 20 bpm after taking omeprazole for just 20 days. I am unable to fall asleep until well into the morning so only 3-5 hours per night. I have had anxiety and depression for years, but never as intensely as it is now. I did not consider that the omeprazole was the cause of it! I started a new anxiety medication a little over a month ago and blamed it on my body adjusting to that- after reading these reviews I am almost certain the mood and sleep disturbances I am experiencing are due to taking omeprazole. The acid in my stomach is reduced but that could be my change in diet.”

xeniax June 4, 2016

“I've taken this medication before for chronic reflux prior to the onset of my bulimia (which I'm currently attempting recovery for, but it's been a tough road), and in the last couple of years my reflux has been particularly bad and because of my bulimia I produce excess stomach acid. Within a day of starting Prilosec my reflux disappeared and within a week I began to generally physically feel much better because I no longer had constant acid in my esophagus. Prior to that, tums or baking soda would stop it for a few hours but it would always return. Now it's easier for me to just live normally and focus on healing my body minus the excess stomach acid and the damage it does in addition to the bulimic behavior.”

Yuo · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2019

“I was prescribed omeprazole to help control my gastritis flare up, although it was never specified if all my symptoms were due to gastritis in the first place. Anyways, I took omeprazole and for about two days and I felt better. Now I have been taking it for a week and it seems all my symptoms, minus the diarrhea came back in full force. If anything I wake up normal and as soon as I take the capsule my stomach begins to go sour within half an hour and I have to deal with that all day. I can’t eat anything because it threatens to come back up with my random bouts of nausea. I will stop taking it tomorrow to see if it really is the medicine causing these side effects.”

Chintukanna May 17, 2016

“It is really a bad medicine. The doctor prescribed my wife to use this for gas relief. but my wife was not comfortable after one pill. Her ears and nose were blocked and she could sense the skipped heart beat. I don't recommend this product.”

Ro · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2020

“Second day of taking this medicine I felt chest pains and diarrhea few minutes after taking. It helped with my acid reflux and ulcer but, the chest pain and stomach cramps is mild compared to what was happening to me before I was prescribed this medication. I take two pills every morning once a day, I think I'll reduce the dosage to one pill, and will see how it goes. Yes there are side effects, but what I went through before taking this I couldn't live a normal life. Try changing your diet. Eat solid non spicy food for some time, no alcohol and acid soft drinks.”

Anna · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2019

“I mean, I completely won’t knock omeprazole. It works. This is my second time dealing with gastritis and my second time taking omeprazole for it. Yes, omeprazole has side effects, and I know it’s from the drug because it’s been the same feeling both times. (Slight chest pain, trapped gas, dizziness, slightly elevated heart rate upon motion and general unwell feeling) however, when compared to the worst side effects I get from gastritis (no appetite, constant nausea, cannot eat, I get severe anxiety that comes with it) the ones from the omeprazole definitely don’t seem so bad. I take it until I’m eating normally again and my stomach has healed, then I discontinue it. Usually about 3-4 weeks. All I can say is, yes the side effects suck but everyone’s different. My grandmother has been taking it for years for GERD and has zero adverse effects. Give it a shot, the worst it can do is not work for you.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 6, 2019

“Tried this stuff (omeprazole) for about a month, since doctor put me on it for acid damage in my stomach. First day I was minorly nauseous with it slowing building up more each day. For the past to weeks I have been waking up and vomiting for several hours even if my stomach is empty. Yesterday I was completely incapacitated due to the vomiting. Looked up side effect and saw nausea and vomiting so decided to not take it today and I feel 100% better. Will not be taking this again.”

Learn more about Gastritis/Duodenitis