User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: Omesec, Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid (Original Formulation)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Omeprazole.

Omeprazole Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 126 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Omeprazole to treat GERD

"I had my gallbladder removed in 1986 and had bad acid reflux after that. My doctor put me on Omeprazole, 20 mgs per day. I have taken it ever since. It really works for me. If I miss a dose, then the acid reflux is really bad. The downside of taking it is that I now have to have B12 injections, which (I have read) is because Omeprazole taken longterm, interferes with the absorbtion of B12."

nellysmummy (taken for 10 years or more) December 28, 2017

"I had a weird thing for about 5-7 years where I would cough and gag, after I was completely done eating my food, and sometimes I would throw up in my hand or just acid would come up. I also noticed I couldn’t eat basically anything without having really bad acid reflux. I’ve been on omeprazole for about 2 years and it’s really really helped. I can eat regularly without getting really bad acid reflux. But I've noticed that when I do get it it’s way worse than when I got it before. My doctor also dropped my dose from 40mg to 20mg and it made me have acid reflux just not as bad."

kaelyn December 12, 2017

"I couldn't swallow a lot of foods. Food would get caught in my throat and I would have to throw it up. I also had acid reflux. This got progressively worse over 2 1/2 years. An endoscopy showed that I had erosive esophagitis. When I started taking omeprezole I was able to eat with no problems and had no more acid reflux."

C** October 6, 2017

"I had severe acid reflux and I couldn't even drink water without getting severe heartburn. Now I never get it. Its such a relief. I eat whatever I want. Its great!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2017

"Please read my review it may help help you . I was on ranitidine 150mg x 2 per day for four months that failed to work it was the most awful drug I think anyone could of taken . At first my acid reflux at the time was so bad it was giving me sinusitis, panic attacks , sweaty palms, headaches , heart palpitations. When someone says acid reflux does not give you the above they are talking rubbish it does and here's how I know . Ranitidine gave me insomnia and anxiety it was evil to put it politely. In desperation I went to A&E and to the walk in clinic. They said I must have a problem with my heart as it was beating so fast Omperazole works and the best brand is LORAC is blue and white. Google it and specifically ask for it. xx"

Lilminxme (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

"Omeprazole saved my life!!!!!!!"

K007 August 29, 2017

"Have been on 20 mg brand name and OTC omeprazole for 20 years, daily. Prilosec and Nexium brands have always worked well. However, plain old generic 20 mg omeprazole, which is cheaper, has mixed results. Frequently, it is not effective so I have to take 2 over a 24 hr period to get the same relief. With next purchase I return to the brand name for the usual relief. This effect is not isolated, having experienced it many times since the drug went generic. I notice the generic maker is a huge pharmaceutical firm overseas. Who compares and verifies the actual strength of the generic vs. the domestic brand name?"

johndennismichael (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2017

"Has worked well in keeping acid reflux in check."

JoseDirt July 5, 2017

"I have been taking omeprozole off and on for over 15 years with good results. Only this G230 G generic has a taste like epoxy glue and causes stomach pain and dyspepsia."

Blues Cat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2017

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): "I was having bad heartburn (GERD) everyday and having to take to many antacids. My doctor suggested OTC Prilosec. After 24 hours all pain was gone and has not returned. It has been a blessing. Today is the 7th day of 14 day treatment. I am waiting to see if the heartburn returns after I complete the recommended 14 day treatment. I hope not."

Gerd. (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Prilosec (omeprazole): "I've been having problems for years with my stomach and GERD. I was put on prilosec and was told that it would possibly cause an upset stomach to begin with but to try to work through it. I took it for around 5 months but I could not handle it anymore. I kept stomach cramps and an upset stomach the whole time. I couldn't keep enough fluids in me to keep myself hydrated. Months later I was prescribed it again and tried it once again. Same thing but worse. I had bad blood work come back saying my kidneys weren't working right and my potassium was so low I was admitted into the Hosp. Since then my kidneys are still not OK. I've been peeing blood on and off. I am pretty sure that this medicine has messed my kidneys up. Bad stuff for me"

Beck256 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2017

"My symptoms were coughing up clear salty mucus for over 3 yrs then 3 months ago burning sensation between the ribs just above the diaphram, pain in the middle of the back( the burning is what forced me to see doc two months ago ).He put me on Lanso for 6 weeks. The burning between the ribs reduced. Then doc decided to let me continue meds and changed to Omeprazole one capsule at night. The burning sensation is almost completely gone. I have that feeling that food is stuck around the middle of my chest something I never felt before meds. I have also noticed that during menstrual, the usual mild headaches turn into bad migraines, dizziness, muscle cramps and body weakness. After menstrual, these symptoms reduce except the muscle weakness and cough. : ("

Lorne38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

"I didn't know I had GERD as I've never experience heartburn. I did, however, experience difficulty swallowing and I constantly had to clear my throat. I couldn't get a sentence out without making this annoying noise. I thought I had post nasal drip, I was taking Claritin D every day (I stopped) and Flonase. My Primary sent me to an ENT, I complained about this throat thing forever. After listening to me talk and hearing the hoarseness in my voice the ENT said; "I don't think you have post nasal drip" put the camera through my nose and down my throat - I have Gerd... say whaa. I had no symptoms of that, so I thought. That day I started taking 40 mg of OMEPRAZOLE... It has changed my life... almost immediately it went 90% away. :-)"

LFallon February 22, 2017

Prilosec (omeprazole): "It's effective however the side effects are horrible"

Candi1482 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): "Thank God. I have not had to take the two pack of Prilosec that I have left. My story.. I was miserable for months taking several different otc medications. I finally called a research facility to try to join a study, to help cure my gerd. The agent I spoke with asked me if Prilosec had failed as a cure. I said id never tried it so I didn't qualify. If that was the way they determined the seriousness of your problem. (If Prilosec couldn't cure you, you must be really bad) then prilosec must be the best otc out there. So I took the 21 day cycle. I was so uncomfortable that I took 2 the first day. I don't recommend that, but I did. After 3 days I say a small improvement. After 1 week I was sure it was working. 21 days later completly cured"

D Broussard November 1, 2016

"The VA prescribed this medication, have been using it for over a year, I found that Excessive Gas was experienced, also diarrhea, dizziness, bad headaches, when I stopped using this prescription the bad side effects went away. Now to find something that works for the GERD without all the bad side effects"

2ndguns (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2016

"I was diagnosed with acid re-flux in May of 2013 while seeing an E.N.T. about some laryngitis I'd had for a couple of months following a cold. He used a camera to look at my throat and said my acid re-flux was severe and that I should begin taking a prescribed medication; Omeprazole beginning that same day. I had never experienced heart burn in my life except while pregnant and believed the doctor was wrong, still, I did as he asked. Omeprazole 20 mg once each morning. After 6 mos of continued use I forgot to take it one morning. By early afternoon I had the worst heartburn EVER. I can't help feeling this me GAVE ME acid re-flux and now I'll have to take this medication for the rest of my life??"

Empress_Me (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 3, 2016

"I have a hiatus hernia, causing GERD. I was put on 20mg Omeprazole in the morning, and have been on that dose for about 2 years. The GERD cleared up and generally has not come back (only if I have too many beers or eat too late at night!). No side effects noticed. I may talk to my doctor eventually about any long term use problems; but so far so good."

Dibby September 25, 2016

"I was diagnosed years ago with a Hiatal hernia. It's not a bad one as far as Hiatal hernias go but it caused really bad acid reflux. My reflux was so bad, sometimes at night, the stomach acid would back up into my lungs. I would wake up coughing that crap up and it burned sooooo bad. The doctor who was in charge of my hernia care decided that the hernia wasn't bad enough to risk surgery so he opted to try Omeprazole. I have been on Omeprazole for nearly 10 years now and can count on one hand the number of times I have had issues with reflux. I also want to note that I take a multi-vitamin as well. Omeprazole can cause mineral deficiencies if taken long term."

Jwright7784 (taken for 10 years or more) July 23, 2016

"My condition: GERD with mild haital hernia, and occasional gastritis. Two 20mg Omeprazol capsules (encapsulated granules) twice daily for 3 months, followed by 20mg twice daily for 1 month to taper off; for a near acute gastritis following endoscopic exam with no other abnormalities or HB infection. For me it seemed to work better when I took it it 1 hour before breakfast & 1 hour before (@ 5 pm) Dinner; rather than before going to bed... 1. It takes at least 3 days before any decrease in heartburn; but if I eat some wrong foods (acidic) my unforgiving stomach lets me know in the evening. 2. A few spaced-out mild headaches lasting up to an hour. 3. Dry lips with no irritation."

William.g July 12, 2016

"I had h pylori so after finishing the tripple therapy i was put on ompeezole 20 mg per day. This my third month. I had depression and anxiety. Dry mouth night sweat genral weakness sometimes I feel like my body is shaking from inside i never had these issues before. I am confused is it side effect of this medicine or I am really going crazy"

Tired of beeing sick (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

"Hiatus henna, Without omeprazole I would feel very uncomfortable and gunk in my throat"

Hilray May 25, 2016

"I have had ZERO heartburn and indigestion with this medication!! I am very happy with it and hope to continue to get the same results!"

Angela16 March 21, 2016

"Doctor put me on this (20mg) because I told him I had really bad heartburn that wouldn't go away. Started taking it and felt immediate relief from the acid coming back up in my esophagus. I didnt really have any feelings of heartburn while on it. The only problems I experienced were a little indigestion in the beginning, like there wasn't enough acid in my stomach to digest to food properly. So make sure you chew your food really good and sip water with your food here and there. My bowels were okay, it just looked like my food wasnt 100% digested and that maybe I didnt abosrb all of the nutrients from the food. But it is well worth it because after a month of taking it, I stopped completely, and have only had heartburn a few times since then"

itsok March 18, 2016

"I do have the same problem in taking omeprazole. when i take that medicine i always encounter palpitation and right chest pain like a heart burn and normally blocking nose.I only take gaviscon right now. it effects after 2 hours then my reflux subside. But still on and off situation."

leahcim07 March 14, 2016