User Reviews for Omeprazole to treat GERD

Also known as: Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Omesec

Omeprazole has an average rating of 5.7 out of 10 from a total of 168 ratings for the treatment of GERD. 43% of those users who reviewed Omeprazole reported a positive effect, while 37% reported a negative effect.

Omeprazole Rating Summary

5.7/10 average rating

Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Omeprazole

rheanedavenport · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2021

“Went to the ER 5 times for extreme abdominal pain and was prescribed this medication. I did my research and read the reviews on these pills and was all ready extremely skeptical but took it for two days and already was extremely shaky, anxiety was through the roofs, depressive, suicidal thoughts came flooding back. I had difficulty breathing and concentrating, shaky and painful eyes, piercing headaches. and this was only after 2 days, do NOT recommend”

Cccronk97 · Taken for less than 1 month May 21, 2021

“I only took omeprazole for 2 days I experienced lightheadness and dizziness the 1st night when I went to lay down, didn't think nothing of it. But its happened again so I stopped taking it because this is the only thing that can be causing it and my other meds have never done that. I hope the dizziness and lightheaded goes away quickly, as it just such an awful feeling.”

Diane · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 6, 2021

“I have used omeprazole for 6 months for GERD and have had no side effects that I notice. I would like to get off this drug just because I don't like taking pills .”

Deano May 25, 2020

“I was left on this medication omeprazole for around 6 years by my doctor for stomach acid. I am from the UK so although we have a national health service it’s a common occurrence not to receive a sufficient level of care. Anyway I managed to replace the benefits that these tablets did assist with by instead taking vitamins. Stopped taking 5 months ago and I can not put into words how amazing I have felt ever since. Anxiety and depression have lifted enormously! I used to get anxious about the smallest things, such as driving my car, having type of certain juice in the house. Just the daftest things ever. I’m sleeping better then I ever was. No brain fog, memory/concentration have increased significantly. I can not recall a time when my mood was been constantly high throughout my life (32) I truly believe these tablets severely impacted my mental health for all those years so I strongly advise anyone either taking or thinking about taking them to not bother. Look into natural aids instead!!”

Don · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2020

“I started experiencing tightness in the middle of my chest with constant belching and a pinching stomach pain in my upper right abdomen. Dr diagnosed me with acid reflux and put me on prilosec otc 20mg for 14 days. I just started taking the pills and man... my anxiety was 10x worst. I was anxious, heart racing, nauseated, stomach pain, brain fog, blurred vision and overall I felt like crying and just so awful. Please talk to your dr for other alternative medicine. I don’t recommend taking these.”

Fam · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2021

“I been taking this pill for 3 weeks. Started to feel dizziness, headache, and lightheaded. Loss appetite, chills, tingling, brain fog, and feels like being drunk all the time. Has been hit hard. Off the meds for 3 weeks. And still feel whoozy and drunk. The meds haven't wear off yet. Anyone know what to do at the moment?”

Need help for my wife · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2021

“My wife has been off this stuff for about 3 weeks now and is still plagued with the anxiety, insomnia, pins and needles etc. Can anyone tell me how long it took for them to be free of this misery? Thanks so much...we hope everyday that these horrible side effect subside...please give me some good news!! Thanks so much!”

Chux · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2021

“Took omeprazole for one week, felt dizzy and decided to stop. Two weeks later I had to retake it again and that was a huge mistake I made. This medication left me feeling very very dizzy, couldn't walk on my own, gave me eye pain and weakness of the body. It took me two weeks with so many blood tonics and fluid to get back on my feet. This medication is awaful. Please no one should use it”

satchelmuffin · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2021

“I complained about having sharp pains occasionally just below the breasts and the Dr. told me it was acid build up and that I should take an omeprazole every morning. On day 5 I got very lightheaded and dizzy every time I stood up, felt my heart racing, and felt anxious. I stopped taking the pills that day and three days later I'm still feeling lightheaded, a general feeling of heaviness in my chest, and, most concerning, a tidal wave of depression. I am wondering how long it will take this to get out of my system because I feel so wonky.”

Asia · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2020

“My acid reflux came back recently so I went to see a doctor. She prescribed me to take 20mg omeprazole every morning. 3 days had passed and I noticed dizziness, unable to focus, my eyes couldn’t focus on one thing...they always dilated, diarrhea, fatigue, paranoid, anxiety spiked! I took it for exactly 6 days. My dad told me not to take it anymore and we’ll soon be headed to the doctor. It works for some but the reviews that I have been reading are exactly how I feel...if you experience any one of these symptoms stop taking them immediately! I read that someone had seizures! I wish you all well and will be taking the natural way suggested...baking soda+water, apple cider vinegar, and ginger tea!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): “After 12 days of taking this medicine, I feel crazy! Sudden head rushes when I stand up. A feeling of my ears being full. Heart palpitations, chest tightness etc..it did help with my acid reflux but I had to stop taking it. I can't deal with the side effects. Going to lose weight and cut off certain foods.”

Georgie August 29, 2020

“Hey guys! One night I had too much wine and woke up with stabbing pain between my breasts in the middle; I went to dr got diagnosed with GERD. Prescribed me 40mg omeprazole. I started taking it, it helped and a few days later the stabbing pain was gone. Then I started feeling rib pain and lower sternum pain. Dr told me it was because of GERD. Nope. The more I took it the worse it got and 3 weeks after taking this stuff I was in horrendous rib pain, all over my upper body, chest wall pain I could not move. Had to go to ER, Xrays, blood test they found nothing. I lost a bunch of weight too, I had blurry vision, terrible brain fog, warm arms and swollen toes, insomnia, horrendous body pain, I could not move. My poop looked like it came out the same way it went in, food junks etc.. I stopped taking it and now I am a month off of it, rib pain and all other side effects are going away, still have a tiny pain left but feel better. Seriously, what is this med? Avoid it if you can”

Jack · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

“Took 40mg once a day before breakfast. Noticed some anxiety on Day 5. By Day 11 I was completely toasted, I had brain fog, weight loss, nausea, blurry vision, and extreme anxiety. It has been 3 weeks since I quit this medicine. Brain fog has subsided however, anxiety keeps crawling in and out. Hang in there, stay tough. This medicine will take its course and time to wash out completely from your system. I am hoping to fully recover in near future. Exercise, and stay positive.”

Anonymous November 7, 2020

“I went to the ENT doctor because I was having trouble swallowing my saliva so she stuck the tube up my nose and after she was done and told me the back of my throat was red and I have severe acid reflux before I even came to the ENT doctor I suffer from anxiety & depression already. Not knowing the drugs she prescribed me was going to make that worse I took omeprazole for 6 days and the side effects I couldn't deal with - my anxiety got worse I got more depressed, eyes felt dilated, I got a headache, diarrhea, woke up and my arms was slightly aching without me doing anything also having to clear my throat with nothing in my throat to be cleared and lose of appetite I will never take omeprazole again I'm going try the hopefully it leaves my systems soon I'm going to try the natural way”

Presley · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2019

Prilosec (omeprazole): “DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE!!!!! This medicine has ripped the life out from inside me. I went from being my totally normal happy self to having serious panic attack’s, constant anxiety/depression and a general feel of hopelessness. The symptoms started on my 12th day and I stopped taking the pill on my 13th day. It is a week later and the panic attacks, anxiety, depression, and hopelessness still remain. This drug is poison to me and many others!!!”

Keegan · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

“I've given by MD this worst medicine! 2 weeks consumed it. On the 10th or 11th days, I feels brain fogs, my upper and lower back feels so painfully. Anxiety got higher. It is a month already since I stopped it, the side effects are still in my body. Seriously, what ever PPI kinda med... Do not ever take it. ”

PC January 10, 2021

“This omeprazole stuff is horrible. Sure, it got rid of the heartburn issues I was having, but the side effects are horrific and scary. Even more scary is they don't include the litany of scary side effects. While on this retched drug, I had pain in my thighs, slightly swollen lower legs, increased blood pressure, tingling in my hands and feet, lethargic legs, water retention, and a painful right testicle. Of course, none of these side effects, which can be found online on sites, but aren't mentioned on the packaging. So, while taking this dangerous drug, I was having these issues and not realizing it was the drug because these side effects weren't mentioned. I thought I was having some other type of horrible medical condition(s). Luckily, I realized all these conditions cropped up after I started the drug. Once stopped, my conditions all began to improve and go away. Beware of this cursed drug. It can screw you up big time. Never again.”

sumguy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 10, 2020

“I suffer from extreme chest pain related to GERDs induced esophageal spasms. Omeprazole is the only medicine that I've been given that can even come close to alleviating my reflux and therefore my pain. The problem though is that this medication makes me so sick I can hardly function. It causes nausea, dizziness, brain fog, muscle fatigue, and eventually leads to a kind of painful swelling lump feeling at the base of my throat that can be highly distracting. It's horrible but so is the chest pain from reflux. So, when the pain gets unbearable I take the Omeprazole and stop when it makes me sick (usually around day 8 or 9), then I quit the medication until the chest pain again becomes unbearable. It's a vicious, awful, horrible cycle between pain and illness. If you can avoid this medication, do!”

Derek · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2019

“Does anyone know how long these horrible side effects last??? I’ve took them two weeks and now been off them two weeks so far. Brain fog has lessened but still getting anxiety and depression/emotionless/soul less feeling from time to time. I could sleep the first week off of them now the second week I’m having hard time sleeping , snapping awake, muscle jerking, needles in my skin feeling. This pill is awful . I’ve heard it could take a month or two to normalize”

S alan · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 19, 2021

“Been on this medication for a good 2 years or more. If you get any joint or tendon pain then quit this med immediately. One day both my thumbs had a lot of pain. Then about 3 months later a cascade of pain in my right shoulder, right elbow, lower back and left hip. I could barely get out of bed and impossible to even put on my socks. Seen 3 specialists but because of myopic vision they could only think arthritis . Finally I put 2 and 2 together and just quit the Omeprazole within two days started feeling better. But the damage was done as 3 tendons in my shoulder were severely damaged and my hip still has pain. Everything else went away. No faith in doctors but thanks to the internet and sites like this we will get by. It is an effective med but the side effects are very damaging.”

A April 30, 2020

“I had GERD in Sept and my doctor prescribed this drug. I got anxiety for 2 months non stop after I stopped the drug. I didn’t know what caused my anxiety. I took it again in March and my anxiety came back never going back to this drug again!”

Jaisa · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 11, 2020

“I've been on Omeprazole going on 10 years . No one ever mentioned anemia or any of the other problems that can come from this medication. I've been trying to get off this med for close to a year. Went down from 40mg to 20 mg not too bad. Now trying to get off 20MG. For the last week I've had chills, headaches, diarrhea, extreme heartburn anxiety, body aches exhaustion and depression. This is awful it helped reflux but at quite a price. B12. MAGNESIUM, FERRETIN SHOULD ALL BE MONITORED WHILE ON THIS MED. I had a hysterectomy and gallbladder removed in the last 5 years and wonder if those surgeries could have been avoided.”

liquidsteel · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2019

“I never had acid reflux in my life. Was given omeprazole while in the hospital for 3 days. Heart related issue. Dr wrote me prescription out for it. I have no clue why. When I tried to stop taking it. I had acid reflux really bad. So I continued to take it. Lost 30 pounds in a month. Started to have muscle spasms, head aches, complete unwellness and lost a lot of muscle mass. I was finally able to get off omeprazole. Started to gain weight back and I look healthy. This is a very bad drug from a nutritional stand point. Will never take it again.”

DaisyMay · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2020

“I had taken Omeprazole years ago for acid reflux and had no side effects. I recently started taking it again (20mg) and I’m on day 4. Something changed. My anxiety is very bad. Like bad! I’m out of it, feeling like I’m not in the real world. I’m dizzy and my body aches. Horrible headaches too! And I’m extremely depressed. I’m going to stop taking it tomorrow and hopefully I start to feel better this week. Hopefully don’t have withdraws or anything. Couldn’t be more worse than this anyways. I’m going to give it a 3 just because it worked years ago for me with no side effects.”

Wendy · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

“I took this for 5 days for acid reflux. I experienced extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I couldn’t sleep, at all as every time I was dropping off I had a huge adrenaline rush. I couldn’t function and had 4 weeks off work sick. I realised in the 5th day that these tablets must be the cause so I researched it only to find other people had similar symptoms . I stopped taking them straight away. The doctor had to prescribe anxiety tablets Duloxetine as I was in such a state of anxiety . The doctor would not believe that the tablets have these side effects. I tackled the acid reflux with an alkaline only diet and a year later I am now back to normal and off the anxiety tablets. I would advise anyone to not take these tablets, they caused me to literally have a break down . Thank god I stopped taking them when I did.”

Myra · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

“I had a bad bout of reflux and the doctor prescribed 40 mg daily. I felt relief but about 2 weeks later I had blood in my urine. I went to the doctor right away because I was freaked out. I told them that I red blood in urine was a side effect but I had to do an ultrasound to check my kidneys and bladder as well as doing urinalysis. Thankfully all tests came back ok and the doctor told me to stop the omeprazole. No more blood! I also has increased anxiety and thought it was just nervousness because I was sick. Now after reading these posts I think it was the drug.”

woolycal · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

“I had chest pains thought I'd pulled a muscle so took ibuprofen which gave me terrible indigestion, I went to the doctors he gave me omeprazole, it worked wonders for about 3 days then I started feeling sick, my body felt like it was shocking, I was cold couldn't sleep and I had terrible brain fog, I stopped taking it for 2 days but heartburn was awful so I started taking it again. I was prescribed 20mg twice a day so I thought I would just take one tablet in the morning, I was ok the first day but by the second all the horrible symptoms were back. I've been bake to the GP and he has given me Cimetidine instead this was great for the first day but by day 2 felt so I'll again. These meds are awful.”

justme74 July 24, 2015

Prilosec (omeprazole): “I have taken Prilosec for over 15yrs. It works great for the heartburn/reflux/gerd. But let me tell you what it took away from me! It dropped my iron and my iron stores to the bottom, it also took my B12 to the bottom. It also after years of taking it gave me anxiety, cramping of muscles and lead to my potassium being low as well. Then most recently I kept having a horrible burning in my stomach, well guess what Prilosec gave me most of all! A stomach full of gastric polyps!! So now I have weaned myself off this horrible medicine cause gastric polyps are a side effect of it and no one tells you! And if you keep taking it , well guess what it makes even more in your stomach once it starts!! So I weaned myself off it, took over a month”