User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: Omesec, Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid (Original Formulation)

Omeprazole Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 126 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Omeprazole to treat GERD

"Excellent medication"

Evidio (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

"I've been taking for a week started having mood changes getting upset, mad ,dizziness ,constipation and not able to concentrate at times. I stopped taking this drug. The old formula worked better now I'm taking baking soda and water again."

billy (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2018

"Omeprazole has saved my life and giving me the confidence to eat food in and out of my house. My condition started about 4 years ago when I would notice food getting stuck in my throat. This got worse after 2 years. It even got to the stage I couldn't even enjoy a packet of crisps without it sticking in my throat. 1 day it got very serious where I felt food was stuck in my throat and I had to throw up to remove it. I made an appointment and got sent to hospital. After getting a camera put up my nose to view my upper esophagus the 2 doctors said there was nothing there and just drink more water. Thanks NHS. I knew that wasn't the case. I nearly lost all hope until I made an emergency appointment at my local doctors surgery. From that day on they prescribed me Almus 20mg Omepazole. 5 months on and I can eat whatever I want in confidence. The worry of family dinners and eating out with my wife is now a thing of the past. I am still careful how I eat and don't swallow too much at 1 time."

nipper1991 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

Prilosec (omeprazole): "I have taken Prilosec 40mg once a day for 4 years now. It manages my GERD well. Without it I would have severe reflux and have a damaged esophagus and stomach. I have had no side effects that I am aware of."

ET (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2018

"When I was diagnosed with GERD and put on omeprazole it work quiet well so I stayed on it then after taking the drug for 5 years. I had something happen in my chest area like my heart fluttering and I couldn't get my breath it was like I was struggling for oxygen. This happened 2 other times and was very frightening . I changed to pantaprozole and it hasn't happened since. I just wanted to know if this as happened to anyone else after long term use ??"

Gert (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2018

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): "I must have taken too much for a period and caused me to have seizures! Do not take more than prescribed!"

Ed Rodríguez (taken for 10 years or more) March 19, 2018

"My doctor recommended omeprazole for life-long acid reflux problem. It has worked quite well! But lately I've been reading about possible side-effects such as pancreatitis, liver problems, etc. Please advise."

kingfish (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 12, 2018

"I was on this drug for 2 days for heartburn. Besides having heartburn, I am a very healthy and slim person. I am not normally on any medications. Two hours after taking the first dose I had vertigo (intense spinning) from tilting my head. I also had the worst chills. Even wrapping myself in a heavy down comforter did not help. I thought maybe it would be better the next day and kept taking the pills. Again two hours after taking the pill..more chills and vertigo. Heartburn seems safer than the chills and vertigo. I'll stick to baking soda and water."

Going back to natural remedies (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2018

"I had my gallbladder removed in 1986 and had bad acid reflux after that. My doctor put me on Omeprazole, 20 mgs per day. I have taken it ever since. It really works for me. If I miss a dose, then the acid reflux is really bad. The downside of taking it is that I now have to have B12 injections, which (I have read) is because Omeprazole taken longterm, interferes with the absorbtion of B12."

nellysmummy (taken for 10 years or more) December 28, 2017

"I had a weird thing for about 5-7 years where I would cough and gag, after I was completely done eating my food, and sometimes I would throw up in my hand or just acid would come up. I also noticed I couldn’t eat basically anything without having really bad acid reflux. I’ve been on omeprazole for about 2 years and it’s really really helped. I can eat regularly without getting really bad acid reflux. But I've noticed that when I do get it it’s way worse than when I got it before. My doctor also dropped my dose from 40mg to 20mg and it made me have acid reflux just not as bad."

kaelyn December 12, 2017

"I couldn't swallow a lot of foods. Food would get caught in my throat and I would have to throw it up. I also had acid reflux. This got progressively worse over 2 1/2 years. An endoscopy showed that I had erosive esophagitis. When I started taking omeprezole I was able to eat with no problems and had no more acid reflux."

C** October 6, 2017

"I had severe acid reflux and I couldn't even drink water without getting severe heartburn. Now I never get it. Its such a relief. I eat whatever I want. Its great!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2017

"Please read my review it may help help you . I was on ranitidine 150mg x 2 per day for four months that failed to work it was the most awful drug I think anyone could of taken . At first my acid reflux at the time was so bad it was giving me sinusitis, panic attacks , sweaty palms, headaches , heart palpitations. When someone says acid reflux does not give you the above they are talking rubbish it does and here's how I know . Ranitidine gave me insomnia and anxiety it was evil to put it politely. In desperation I went to A&E and to the walk in clinic. They said I must have a problem with my heart as it was beating so fast Omperazole works and the best brand is LORAC is blue and white. Google it and specifically ask for it. xx"

Lilminxme (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

"Omeprazole saved my life!!!!!!!"

K007 August 29, 2017

"Have been on 20 mg brand name and OTC omeprazole for 20 years, daily. Prilosec and Nexium brands have always worked well. However, plain old generic 20 mg omeprazole, which is cheaper, has mixed results. Frequently, it is not effective so I have to take 2 over a 24 hr period to get the same relief. With next purchase I return to the brand name for the usual relief. This effect is not isolated, having experienced it many times since the drug went generic. I notice the generic maker is a huge pharmaceutical firm overseas. Who compares and verifies the actual strength of the generic vs. the domestic brand name?"

johndennismichael (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2017

"Has worked well in keeping acid reflux in check."

JoseDirt July 5, 2017

"I have been taking omeprozole off and on for over 15 years with good results. Only this G230 G generic has a taste like epoxy glue and causes stomach pain and dyspepsia."

Blues Cat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2017

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): "I was having bad heartburn (GERD) everyday and having to take to many antacids. My doctor suggested OTC Prilosec. After 24 hours all pain was gone and has not returned. It has been a blessing. Today is the 7th day of 14 day treatment. I am waiting to see if the heartburn returns after I complete the recommended 14 day treatment. I hope not."

Gerd. (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Prilosec (omeprazole): "I've been having problems for years with my stomach and GERD. I was put on prilosec and was told that it would possibly cause an upset stomach to begin with but to try to work through it. I took it for around 5 months but I could not handle it anymore. I kept stomach cramps and an upset stomach the whole time. I couldn't keep enough fluids in me to keep myself hydrated. Months later I was prescribed it again and tried it once again. Same thing but worse. I had bad blood work come back saying my kidneys weren't working right and my potassium was so low I was admitted into the Hosp. Since then my kidneys are still not OK. I've been peeing blood on and off. I am pretty sure that this medicine has messed my kidneys up. Bad stuff for me"

Beck256 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2017

"My symptoms were coughing up clear salty mucus for over 3 yrs then 3 months ago burning sensation between the ribs just above the diaphram, pain in the middle of the back( the burning is what forced me to see doc two months ago ).He put me on Lanso for 6 weeks. The burning between the ribs reduced. Then doc decided to let me continue meds and changed to Omeprazole one capsule at night. The burning sensation is almost completely gone. I have that feeling that food is stuck around the middle of my chest something I never felt before meds. I have also noticed that during menstrual, the usual mild headaches turn into bad migraines, dizziness, muscle cramps and body weakness. After menstrual, these symptoms reduce except the muscle weakness and cough. : ("

Lorne38 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

"I didn't know I had GERD as I've never experience heartburn. I did, however, experience difficulty swallowing and I constantly had to clear my throat. I couldn't get a sentence out without making this annoying noise. I thought I had post nasal drip, I was taking Claritin D every day (I stopped) and Flonase. My Primary sent me to an ENT, I complained about this throat thing forever. After listening to me talk and hearing the hoarseness in my voice the ENT said; "I don't think you have post nasal drip" put the camera through my nose and down my throat - I have Gerd... say whaa. I had no symptoms of that, so I thought. That day I started taking 40 mg of OMEPRAZOLE... It has changed my life... almost immediately it went 90% away. :-)"

LFallon February 22, 2017

Prilosec (omeprazole): "It's effective however the side effects are horrible"

Candi1482 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): "Thank God. I have not had to take the two pack of Prilosec that I have left. My story.. I was miserable for months taking several different otc medications. I finally called a research facility to try to join a study, to help cure my gerd. The agent I spoke with asked me if Prilosec had failed as a cure. I said id never tried it so I didn't qualify. If that was the way they determined the seriousness of your problem. (If Prilosec couldn't cure you, you must be really bad) then prilosec must be the best otc out there. So I took the 21 day cycle. I was so uncomfortable that I took 2 the first day. I don't recommend that, but I did. After 3 days I say a small improvement. After 1 week I was sure it was working. 21 days later completly cured"

D Broussard November 1, 2016

"The VA prescribed this medication, have been using it for over a year, I found that Excessive Gas was experienced, also diarrhea, dizziness, bad headaches, when I stopped using this prescription the bad side effects went away. Now to find something that works for the GERD without all the bad side effects"

2ndguns (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2016

"I was diagnosed with acid re-flux in May of 2013 while seeing an E.N.T. about some laryngitis I'd had for a couple of months following a cold. He used a camera to look at my throat and said my acid re-flux was severe and that I should begin taking a prescribed medication; Omeprazole beginning that same day. I had never experienced heart burn in my life except while pregnant and believed the doctor was wrong, still, I did as he asked. Omeprazole 20 mg once each morning. After 6 mos of continued use I forgot to take it one morning. By early afternoon I had the worst heartburn EVER. I can't help feeling this me GAVE ME acid re-flux and now I'll have to take this medication for the rest of my life??"

Empress_Me (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 3, 2016