User Reviews for Omeprazole to treat Stomach Ulcer

Also known as: Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Omesec

Omeprazole has an average rating of 4.1 out of 10 from a total of 20 ratings for the treatment of Stomach Ulcer. 25% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 60% reported a negative effect.

Omeprazole Rating Summary

4.1/10 average rating

Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Stomach Ulcer.

Reviews for Omeprazole

Ulcerinky · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2020

“I was prescribed 20 mg of omeprazole for what I was diagnosed with last week as stomach ulcers. Within 4 hours I had searing back pain. I’m talking labor pains strong. I thought my kidneys were having a bad reaction so I drank and drank and drank water as much as possible. Another 4 hours later it was 50% better but then the panic and anxiety attacks set in. I thought I was crazy until I started doing research. If something seems odd, look up the side effects as there are MANY!”

La Tortue · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 1, 2020

“I was prescribed Omeprazole following treatment for a stomach ulcer, worked like a charm almost instantly with no more stomach pain, acid reflux and indigestion, fantastic ! I thought, however, as time as gone on (9 months) I feel absolutely rubbish!! My head feels "dead" with feelings of dizziness, I get tingling sensations in my arms and legs, very lethargic, every bone in my body seems to ache, bloated stomach, nausea and I am in an almost constant state of anxiety with mild bouts of depression and panic attacks, wish I had never taken it and waiting to speak to my doctor to come off it. It was great for my stomach at the time but the longer I have used it, the worse my well being has been.”

jadeyy · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

“I was prescribed omeprazole in the past and it worked wonders. However, this time I have no end of bad side effects. I was having panic attacks for no reason at all I was having night sweats, extremely dry mouth, no appetite what so ever and lost 16 pounds in 11 days. I also had a constant headache along side with dizziness and couldn't even drink sips of water. I decided to stop taking the medication and three days off it now I haven't had any of these symptoms and I am starting to eat small amounts and feeling a lot better but not yet 100%.”

Tabitha · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

“I’ve been on this medication one week and yesterday I woke up and I felt tired and run down, but I had been traveling so I let it go. As the day went on I started to have severe pain in my arms, legs, and hips. This morning I was in so much pain I could hardly walk and no energy whatsoever. I was ready to go tomorrow morning to be flu tested but I honestly believe it is this medicine!!! No more of this stuff for me!!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2017

“STAY WELL CLEAR OF THIS MEDICINE AS ITS NOT FOR ALL!!! I was only on omeprazole for 5 days and I was sweating at nights spaced out all day very dizzy! Can feel my heart beating! I thought there was something up with me but I now know it was the omeprazole. See your doctor if you have bad side effects to discuss other treatments.”

SunnyintheD January 5, 2017

Prilosec (omeprazole): “I was told to take this after what turns out to only have been a nasty stomach virus. Hospital thought it was ulcer. By day four of a 14 day course, I developed severe gum pain and it hurt to chew, I had a horrible taste in my mouth that wouldn't go away, throat gurgles that kept me awake, and shoulder pain. A quick internet search prompted me to quit this drug.”

Steve · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2019

“Well, after months of problems swallowing, up in the night I went to my GP, who prescribed 20mg Omeprazole and hey presto day 1 cured. On a month trial, but after a week just good as new, no side effects. Brilliant.”

Leigh · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 11, 2020

“I took this med for about three years for what the Dr thought was a peptic ulcer. Worked for two years then I developed severe duodenum pain. Endoscopys and test ensued. They kept telling me to take it. I stopped on my own and six months worth of pain, bloating etc stopped.”

Melon · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2019

“I was prescribed this drug as I was suffering from stomach pain whilst taking ibuprofen for a dental abscess. I took 3 doses over 3 days and then stopped it, as I was suffering from chest, shoulder and arm pain, anxiety, tearfulness, raised blood pressure and pulse and extreme heartburn, which I do not usually suffer from. I also felt extremely unwell. One week later and I am beginning to feel better, although still suffering from heartburn. This drug obviously does not suit me.”

RL · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2019

“This medicine was absolutely no good for me at all. Doctor suspected an ulcer due to some ongoing pain in a specific area. Within days of starting this, my brain was completely foggy, I had constant severe stomach pain, both diarrhea and constipation, nausea, horrible gas pains, and serious headache that Advil couldn't even touch. I honestly felt so sick for so many days that I thought about going to the ER more than once, and it didn't make the original pain subside at all. I didn't immediately suspect the Omeprazole, but then realized that starting it was the only recent change. Sure enough, within one day of stopping it, I'm much better. Still not myself at all, but I'm hoping everything will subside with a few days.”

mama.madi · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2021

“I am pregnant with my second child, and out of nowhere my midwife diagnosed myself with a stomach ulcer.. I was prescribed omeprazole (20mg) 2 times daily. Instantly the dull, achy, burning pain from the ulcer was resolved and tolerable. Unfortunately, it gave me the WORST anxiety. I already have an anxiety disorder that was manageable before the medicine, but not even a full week into taking omeprazole I was having constant racing, intrusive thoughts. I’d rather have the stomach pains than the anxiety... I’m currently weaning myself off the medicine to take something different.”

Just Me December 16, 2019

“After taking omeprazole in the morning with food, I had a headache by the afternoon which escalated to a full blown wicked headache (migraine) the next morning. Other symptoms were tearfulness, nausea, and vomiting. Needless to say, I did not take it the next morning since I felt as if it was the end of me. I cannot imaging what would have happened if I took it the second day. At the end of the second day, I have a heavy-headed feeling. I had to take two Tylenol to get rid of the headache since I have a stomach ulcer (caused from taking 81mg of aspirin a day and had to be careful what to take for the headache.”

Lawrence64 December 7, 2019

“Prescribed Omeprazole to accompany Naproxen (protect stomach from naproxen side effects) - the naproxen prescribed to alleviate symptoms of Psioratic Arthritis in Feb 19. Worked, in that pain disappeared after starting course. Continued to take combined meds til Nov 19; concerns regarding the possible impact of taking Omeprazole over long period. Stopped taking drugs. Since, pain failed to re-appear, justifying decision. HOWEVER, now suffering unpleasant gastric effects - heartburn, reflux, constant throat clearing, sensitive stomach. Symptoms I believe of acid rebound hypersecretion - documented common amongst patients stopping PPIs after prolonged period. A month off Omeprazole now; still suffering symptoms...but determined to persist, as long term use of drugs like Naproxen & Omeprazole seems to simply be masking symptoms as opposed to providing a cure (impossible for Psioratic Arthritis), with potential consequent problems arising. Better stopped after 9 months than continuing.”

stephyp August 10, 2015

“I love it! It cured all of my stomach ulcers in 3 months!”

Anonymous January 25, 2012

“Stomach pain and cramps after 2 weeks.”

tonis · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2021

“Horrible headache and dizziness”

FER1 March 11, 2013

“No problems and seems to help! Have been taking for a while for my Ulcer and GERD.”

Bleeding Gutz November 19, 2009

“Love it love it”

Noley January 30, 2017

“I have stomach issues and within the first week I had worse stomach cramps and pain and throat gurgles. It made my symptoms worse.”

Stephtvb · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 4, 2017

“I take this after Biatric surgery had lots of stomach bleeds so l have to take this drug for the rest of my life”

Guh November 5, 2017