When's the best time to take omeprazole: before or after a meal?
- It is usually best to take Omeprazole 1 hour before meals.
- When omeprazole is taken with food it reduces the amount of omeprazole that reaches the bloodstream.
Brand specific instructions for omeprazole:
- Prilosec instructions specify to take it before meals.
- Zegerid instructions for when swallowing the oral suspension and capsules, is to take it on an empty stomach at least one hour before a meal.
- When Zegerid oral suspension is taken through a nasogastric (NG) or orogastric (OG) tube, feeding should be stopped for approximately 3 hours before and 1 hour after Zegerid administration.
Omeprazole is taken to decrease the amount of acid that your stomach makes.
It is used to treat indigestion, heartburn, acid reflux, gastric ulcers, duodenal ulcers, to reduce the risk of upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding and other health problems related to excess acid. Omeprazole is often included in combination therapy with one or two other medications to eradicate Helicobacter pylori.
Omeprazole comes in different formulations including:
- Immediate release capsules
- Delayed release capsules
- Delayed release tablets
- Powder for immediate-release oral suspension
- Powder for delay-release oral suspension.
Click on the link below for more information on Omeprazole: https://www.drugs.com/omeprazole.html
- Omeprazole Information: https://www.drugs.com/omeprazole.html
- Omeprazole Professional Information: https://www.drugs.com/monograph/omeprazole.html
- Prilosec Professional Information: https://www.drugs.com/pro/prilosec.html
- Zegerid Professional Information: https://www.drugs.com/pro/zegerid.html
Related medical questions
- What foods should I avoid when taking omeprazole?
- How soon after taking levothyroxine can I take omeprazole?
- Is famotidine safer than omeprazole for heartburn?
- Pantoprazole vs. omeprazole: What's the difference between them?
- Nexium vs Prilosec: What's the difference between them?
- Can I take omeprazole in the morning and famotidine at night?
- Can you take an antacid with omeprazole?
- Is omeprazole (Prilosec) bad for your kidneys?
- Does omeprazole cause cancer?
- What are the risks associated with heartburn medications?
- Omeprazole Information for Consumers
- Omeprazole Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Omeprazole (detailed)
Related support groups
- Omeprazole (118 questions, 240 members)