User Reviews for Protonix (Page 2)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Protonix.

Peptic Ulcer

Erosive Esophagitis
7.8

Summary of Protonix reviews 8.7 54 reviews

Reviews for Protonix

For GERD "Started taking this about 8 years ago after developing an ulcer from taking Aleve. Was fine for a few years, with only flatulance and loose bowel movements. For the last 3 years, I started developing asthma symptoms (phlegm in throat and lungs, coughing). Stopping Protonix cleared it up. Took 1 pill again and the asthma started again. Too bad, I really liked this medication."

Jim0523 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2013

For Duodenal Ulcer "I was recently hospitalized for 4 days with a duodenal ulcer. They ran PROTONIX through an IV--I was in miserable pain..Within 2 days, No Problems, and I could eat again. I'm now on 40mg 2x day, and soon decreasing to 1. It REALLY works, with No side effects!"

pam buck (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2012

For GERD "This was not effective in reducing acid. Four days after stopping Nexium and starting Protonix the heartburn started and I had to take Gaviscon. I had a 3 month supply so I kept taking it and ended up with a swollen, painful esophagus and difficulty swallowing with vomiting. I stopped taking Nexium because my insurance no longer would cover it. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2012

For GERD "Worked at first to bring heartburn/acid re-flux under control, however I had to stop taking it because it started causing severe stomach & abdominal pain. Now control through diet & Tums EX. The pain from the Protonix side effect was terrible when it started happening."

whytegold March 31, 2012

For GERD "I only discovered I had GERD from an endoscopy. I've always had a horrible stomach, but recently had a constant sore throat. The Protonix worked wonders! But then I noticed I was constipated and had a huge appetite. I briefly switched medicines but went back to Protonix. It was when I started taking it again and had two abdominal exams that I realized my liver was enlarged. The doctors immediately dismissed it since I've had my gallbladder removed. They said it was scar tissue. My daughter has eosinophilic colitis so I'm really just focused on her gastrointestinal care, but at my next follow up I will address the issue. I did cut out milk/dairy from my diet and that seemed to help as much as the medicine!"

Bad gut December 1, 2011

For Stomach Ulcer "Took the burn away in my stomach but made my hands and fingers swell."

Anonymous October 17, 2011

For GERD "If you don't get ahead of an attack, this pill won't work. I have been on it for years now and have had little problem with it until it didn't work one weekend so I doubled up on it and ended up in the hospital a week later with seizure due to hypomagnesia (or however you say lack of magnesium). Make sure you are getting all your electrolytes when taking proton pump inhibitors."

looking for new drugs September 17, 2011

"I have been taking Protonix for over 5 years. It is the only choice for me since I have tried many alternatives with horrible results (Dexilant, Aciphex). Protonix is the BEST."

speck10 May 19, 2011

For Stomach Ulcer "After a couple of days using Protonix, I felt relief in my stomach of the full feeling I would get whenever I ate. I used to feel very bloated and uncomfortable after I ate a meal, I wasn't overeating either. I had to watch what I ate too, such as spices, onions, etc. Most of those symptoms have gone away."

Anonymous May 18, 2011

For Peptic Ulcer "Esophageal ulcer: Had problems off and on with horrible heartburn throughout my teens years until I ended up with an ulcer due to undiagnosed acid reflux and other problems. Was prescribed Protonix and it was the only thing that worked. Since then I have been able to use Tagamet (cimetidine) for every day use, along with watching what I eat, but the Protonix is awesome."

Anonymous February 19, 2011

For GERD "This medication worked for me, reducing the stomach acid significantly. It is worth a try for anyone suffering from GERD."

sieeko32 February 1, 2011

For GERD "Protonix totally eliminates my throat pain, hoarseness, reflux, etc. After 6 years my insurance decided not to cover it so for the last few months, I've been on several other medicines and they just don't work. My doctor is trying to convince them I need the Protonix. Wish me luck."

throatsonfire August 9, 2010

For Barrett's Esophagus "I was on Prilosec for about 9 years for acid reflux. For me it was a miracle drug that gave me relief for acid reflux. My dosage was continually increased till I was taking 4 20mg pills a day (probably a problem with my acid reflux increasing). After having more problems, I had an endoscopy which showed I had Barrett's Esophagus. I was prescribed Protonix (2 x 40mg pills/day). So far Protonix has worked great. For me it works better than the Prilosec did."

jburk July 19, 2010

For GERD "I was recently diagnosed with GERD. Of course this was after a trip to the hospital thinking I was having heart problems. The Doc put me on Protonix and after about 1 week it's as if my life was back to normal. Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover it any more so I gave it a "9" instead of a "10" rating for this alone. With many generic others costing only $5 for 60 days. Anyway, I suggest that if you do try it, give it a few days to work."

Narg February 10, 2010

For GERD "My gall bladder was acting up and the pain was terrible. I took a Protonix as soon as I got out of the doctors office (with a sandwich and doctor pepper) about 15 seconds later I was burping like CRAZY. Viola!! The pain subsided considerably in less than 3 minutes. AN hour later it was like I never even had the pain! I felt MUCH, MUCH better."

rickwassick February 2, 2010

For GERD "Worked great for GERD. After a while of being on it, it doesn't seem to work that well. I am on 40 mg's/day and now have a stomach ulcer? "

shamrock2228 December 13, 2009

For GERD "I've tried everything nothing worked. I had both an ulcer and acid reflux. Protonix worked the day I got it. One of the pharmacies tried to use generic and I had all the symptoms all over again. Doctor found out about the generic brand, fixed the problem with the real Protonix. Problem solved. Protonics is the answer for me."

mr T. November 17, 2009

For GERD "I've had years of GERD without any food triggers and daily heartburn. Protonix was a dream! It is, however, very expensive. My insurance had it on its drug list and dropped it this year. A 30 day supply is $120! I've had to switch to Nexium."

Anonymous September 28, 2009

For GERD "I took this drug at bedtime for GERD. Sick to my stomach all night long. Stopped taking it for one night and wasn't sick at all."

jimsjinx May 9, 2009

For GERD "I had the worst side effects with Protonix. I took it for 15 days and experienced increased anxiety and heart palpitations. I also had dizziness, nausea and insomnia. Going off of it took 6 days to feel somewhat normal."

Anonymous April 15, 2009

For GERD "I tried EVERY over the counter gastric acid reliever on the planet and nothing worked. Then I got my doctor to prescribe Protonix and never had any problems after that. I was very pleased."

GERALDSIR March 28, 2009

"I rate it a 10. This is the ONLY drug that helps my gastrointestinal problems. I have only been prescribed it twice in several years but, when it was prescribed, the drug took away the pain in the chest and it did not come back. It is great."

Anonymous March 22, 2009

For GERD "I love protonix. Only wish it was more affordable. My insurance company will only cover the generic form--which is NOT the same. I found the name of the manufacturer but again the insurance company won't cover it. The three months I was on the generic all my symptons returned. Back on the protonix for two weeks and everything was gone!"

MacMommy March 7, 2009

For Stomach Ulcer "Using this medication reduced the bloated feeling I had. It also reduced my appetite, caused by the air pockets, before I was using this drug. Great medicine, with no side effects that I am aware of."

Cdicrisci December 9, 2008

For GERD "I loved this drug--until my insurance company said it was the 'same' as another less expensive drug. I've been miserable ever since. The acid reflux is returning, I am bloated and bowels are always a surprise. My surgeon is thinking a second surgery might be needed - if only I could afford the Protonix it could be avoided."

MaryMac October 29, 2008