User Reviews for Protonix to treat Barrett's Esophagus

Protonix Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Barrett's Esophagus.

Reviews for Protonix

"Do NOT use this medication. This medication caused me to have drug induced lupus. Three months after stopping this medication and still dealing with daily affects of this drug. There have been warnings issued by the FDA regarding the dangers of PPIs and the negative side effects. This drug is not safe in my opinion."

Blue (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2018

"After a short time on protonix I began to experience back pain that radiated to the sides of my back in the kidney area. Then blood turned up in my urine both symptoms are serious side effects listed and says you should contact your dr immediately. Mdoctor told me that she couldn't say if the drug was the cause. The lesson learned -do your own research and be vigilant."

guinea pig (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2018

"I have been on this medicine for awhile and as long as I take as I'm supposed to I'm good the only side effect is a headache for the first couple of days but other than that I really like this medicine it's much better than being sick and in pain all the time"

Tinkerbell 0811 December 16, 2017

"I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus six years ago, and regularly used Prilosec for the past 8 years, but I occasionally still had severe heartburn. Like the last post, I too was prescribed a higher and higher dose until I was taking 4-6 pills a day, still getting occasional heartburn. Last year I started taking only 40 mg per day of Pantoprazole, and I seldom (less than once a month when I get careless with food and/or alcohol) have had heartburn at all. I highly recommend asking your doctor about this medication, if you suffer from long term frequent heartburn and Prilosec no longer sees to work as well."

Severe Heartburn/BE (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 22, 2014

"I have been using this medication almost since it came on the market. I take a dose of 50% over the maximum recommended dosage. The medication seems to have a 7-10 hours effectiveness before rebound symptoms appear. I've tried several of the other proton pump inhibitors, which were not very effective. "

GERD and barretts E (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 20, 2013

"I was on Prilosec for about 9 years for acid reflux. For me it was a miracle drug that gave me relief for acid reflux. My dosage was continually increased till I was taking 4 20mg pills a day (probably a problem with my acid reflux increasing). After having more problems, I had an endoscopy which showed I had Barrett's Esophagus. I was prescribed Protonix (2 x 40mg pills/day). So far Protonix has worked great. For me it works better than the Prilosec did."

jburk July 19, 2010