User Reviews for Pantoprazole

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Learn more about Pantoprazole.

Pantoprazole Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Pantoprazole to treat GERD

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I have had GERD for years now. I started out taking Prilosec, but it started making me burp a lot and it would just absolutely hurt. My doctor switched me to Protonix and that has helped so much. I take 40 mgs twice a day. I don't burp nearly as much and food doesn't creep back up and into my mouth like it did so much either. I also take Zantac at night, but it still had helped a lot even before then. It's been such a relief. I didn't get any side effects from it either. I take it 30 minutes before breakfast and 30 minutes before lunch."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had moderate to severe GERD for 10+ years; last med I was on was Lansoprolzale for 5+ years. Recently, I was switched to Pantaprozale Sodium 40 mg a day; have taken it for less than a week and it's been hell since the first day I took it. Have had sweats and the worst joint and muscle pains and cramps, and ulcers in my mouth along with a sore throat. At the NP's advice who prescribed it I also take Magnesium. I'm stopping this med today and hope these side effects go away soon."

Clalumelia2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Severe itching, swelling and redness in hands and neck. Immediate burning in esophagus and acid reflux symptoms."

Kristi76 February 7, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Feeling dizzy , severe head-ache"

savithri srithar (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking medicine to many years in my opinion."

Weawea (taken for 10 years or more) December 25, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"If you have diabetes type 2, I strongly urge you not to take this drug. Even though they say that increase of blood sugar is rare, this happened to me. About five days I started taking this drug (40mg), I started to feel lightheaded. My morning reading of blood sugar is normally about 6.6 three hours after breakfast, but I started getting readings of 11.6. I felt like hell. Even worse, the spike in blood sugar caused my blood pressure (controlled by medication) to also spike to about 165/80. I decided to stop the Pantoprazole. The lightheadness went away, and my blood pressure returned to normal. Be very careful with this drug. There are a couple of websites which warn of increase in blood sugar."

Piceno (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"While on this medication 20mg 2x daily I had chest pain and shortness of breath. I was taking to the hospital multiple times because I thought I was having a heart attack."

Timmy G. December 21, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on pantoprazole 40 mgs for a long time. I still vomit in my throat , have heartburn and my throat is hoarse and scratchy all the time ! In fact my whole life as far I I remember my throat was scratchy. I used to keep my family up at night as a kid always trying to clear my throat. Today I had bread and butter to eat and still want to vomit and uncomfortable in my chest ! I am off to vomit now just to give myself some relief. I do not eat spicy food yet still get it. I am at wits end. Maybe I should just stop eating all together ! Not sure of this is linked to what I suffer with. But I lost most of my back molars now even though I always brush my teeth at least 3-4 times a day Could this be from acid leaking up into my throat ?"

Abbygail23 November 27, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on 40 mg twice a day for 2 weeks. I can't shake this awful headache. Then a week ago I woke up feeling as though I was hit with the flu. Body hurting all over, severe headche, restless, no energy, cotton mouth to the extreme, no appetite. Been so sick haven't even noticed if the medicine is actually working for what I am taking it for. Went to the doctor tested me for flu, pneumonia, strep, u name it and found nothing. Pain is unbelieveable and continous. Stopped taking the medicine yesterday and showing huge signs of improvement. I will stick to my bottle of tums a day over that horrific pain. Not worth it. Hurt burn is pain full but at least I can go about my day with it. This medicine I couldnt even get out of bed"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I have had severe Gerd/Acid Reflux for nearly 6 years. It has put me in the hospital 7 times now and has totally destroyed my teeth which I have always been meticulous about caring for. Presently, it's also causing me swallowing problems and voice troubles. The pain the Gerd can generate is an actual true "10"-Far far worse than the pain I experienced from a Quad Cardiac Bypass surgery. My doctor gave me Protonix for it and it worked Very well on reducing, perhaps, 80% of the pain. Unfortunately, the medication caused Peripheral Edema Big time and I had to go off of it again. The edema immediately went away, but the pain came back too. I have noticed this reaction from almost all proton pumps that I have tried to date."

Wagriff (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Protonix for 2 weeks and feel awful. I have high pitched ringing in my ears, headaches, a lot of fatigue, and constantly feel like there is a lump in my throat that is very uncomfortable. I just feel beat up and wiped out! Saw dr. but she found nothing. Didn't look down throat very well though. Hate not knowing if it's Protonix but worried about stopping it to see."

Disfan (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this medication because my insurance wasn't covering my previous medication which worked just right for me. This medication does ease the stomach pain but it gives me a nasty headache. The last headache that I had that was contributed by this medication lasted 5 days! Once I came to the realization that it was the Pantoprazole 40mg I stopped taking them and the headache went away."

gayle14587 (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this medication for 6 years now religiously every morning. I am now concerned of the long term risks. They are linking this drug and other PPI's to a higher risk of devoloping dimensia. I take 40 mg. every morning and my doctor has prescribed me 20mg. So I can start to slowly lower myself off from taking so much. I have not started the 20 mg. yet since I've been on 40 mg. for years im afraid of how my body will react to it. Overall this medicine works better then any other medicine I have tried for my acid reflux. I don't think I will be able to live without it."

Nay84 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 6, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking pantopraxole 6 days ago as my insurance company would not let me continue taking esomeprazole because it was not on the "formulary". I had to be able to prove that other meds for the GERD were either not effective or caused too many side effects. At first, the pantoprazole seemed to work. Then last night I began having severe reflux and heartburn that were not relieved by the usual treatments I have used when I was on omeprazole, before I started taking Nexium (esomeprazole ). I was awake all night, unable to find anyway of relieving the heartburn and reflux. This morning, I developed severe stomach pain which also was not relieved by any other home treatments. I refuse to ever take this drug again!"

mtnrose (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I took this medication until my HMO dropped it fron their formulary. While taking it, I felt great. I took only one a day and, if I forgot to take it or forgot to refill it before running out, I could miss a day or two without the heartburn returning. My doctor subsequently put me on Prilosec, twice a day. If I miss one, heartburn returns with a vengeance. If I miss a whole day, it takes three to five days to get the heartburn under control, again"

DublJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Perhaps this was because it is my only prescription that I use. Reading other persons' negative results may perhaps be due to interaction with other prescriptions."

My results were excellent. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I had heartburn and a history of an ulcer so my doctor put me on Protonix and when taking it daily I feel great, however with the new information about this kind of drug being linked to dementia and also that is can cause one to be addicted to it and cause rebound acid I decided to stop it. I am on day 4 and now a mild constant burning is in my stomach and often back up to my chest. I was given them for heartburn but the doctor wrote gerd and later I developed gerd on days I tried not to take it so I am concerned about this all coming back by 10 times worse. I am looking into a natural alternative first as dementia is all around in my family and my new holistic/medical doctor says this type of drug is dangerous."

TerryTwoHearts February 22, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I cut them in half [now 20 mg], from the beginning, take before breakfast, works like a charm. If I miss in the morning, I will have heart burn that night. -Affecting leg circulation??? used compression stockings, then message therapy, now replaced by using a rolling pin for 2 minutes (twice a day) rolling UP the leg. Saves me hundreds of $. -Cause of skin rash and itching on legs??? may be caused by dry air??"

Ray R (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 20, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was prescribed nexium for gastritis and did not relieve symptoms. Went twice to ER had abdo xrays, blood tests, heart monitoring all came back normal. Put on pantoprazole and gp advised could stop after a month. Nearly a week off this and feel worse than ever with return of symptoms. Looks like have to recommence pantoprazole and have a GI consult. So over the discomfort and constant nausea"

Mia1971 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I began taking this medication over 7 years ago. It worked great for the first 4 years and slowly began to be less effective. After insurance denied my request to start a different PPI I began to take a double dose of it to make it work. It fixed the problem. Now after about a year of being back to my normal dose I am back to the awful breakthroughs. I wish it would be my miracle worker like it once was. It is the best that I have used so far of its kind. Just hoped it would have last forever."

Riri89 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 17, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have used this for 2 months and it changed my life, after 3 years of pain and seeing doctor after doctor for what I thought was gallbladder pain but the last 2 days I've not been feeling good, same old symptoms are back (not sure if it's something I ate or what ) heading back to doctor in 2 days.. Overall this medicine has helped me tremendously for the past 2 months !!!!"

Arb12345 December 21, 2015

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protonix (pantoprazole): "This was the worst medication I have ever taken. I was just prescribed this medication last week. After on it for only 2 days I stopped. Headache was unbearable. I thought I was gonna have to go to the hospital to get a cat scan until I realized it was probably the protonix. Then there was the nausea they came along as well. Five days later, I'm still nauseous, but used ginger to help with that. Overall, I will never use this medicine again."

Tee85 December 17, 2015

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protonix (pantoprazole): "Unfortunately I have suffered with very serious GERD for 28 years and it has been awful. I have tried every prescription medicine out there and none of them work for me like Protonix does. I feel very close to a normal human being on this medication but none of the others lived up to Protonix. I received a horrible notice from our health insurance provider this past week and after December 31, 2015 they will no longer cover this drug. Their only suggestion for me with severe reflux is to try something else!!! I have tried EVERYTHING else on the market and nothing works but Protonix. NOTHING! I am so sick with the GERD when I am off this medicine I am pretty much house bound because I am so sick. For me it is a miracle drug!"

bordercollielover (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2015

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had great results for several years with generic pantoprazole, except twice when the pharmacy used the version from Sun Pharma. Not sure the marked difference (although there was a patent lawsuit against Sun for not disclosing a slight difference in chemical structure several years ago), but taking the Sun version is pretty much like taking nothing at all. I took a week's worth this time (there is a shortage of the Teva drug I usually get) and spent last night sick to my stomach with gnawing pain and bizarre single hiccups and belches. And while the pharmacy apparently had gotten some of the Teva brand in, I had to pay the full $40 because I couldn't get another batch covered by insurance for 2 weeks. Not all generics are equal."

JHawkMamaX2 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 13, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I was put on this medication after my insurance company stopped covering another PPI that worked well for me. I lasted one month and spent most of it popping ranitadine since anything I ate or drank caused almost immediate heartburn. By the end of the month I was vomiting. It was awful. I hated to be a pain but I called my PCP and told them I needed to go back on my previous med, which of course involved a lot of paperwork on his part. I have a friend that swears by this medication but mostly all I did was swear during the month I took it."

DonnaRNCEN September 24, 2015