User Reviews for Pantoprazole

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Pantoprazole Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 129 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Pantoprazole to treat GERD

"Took several YEARS for GERD and no doctor even thought to check it. (Apparently it's not supposed to be taken longer than a few MONTHS.) I ended up having severe pain in my abdomen (of all places!). Colonoscopy was clear but Endoscopy showed many bloody fibroids in my stomach. Gastroenterologist removed about 20 of them and said there were many more. Switching to an OTC helped them all heal."

marymaymikul62 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2018

"After 2 days of taking, I felt worse . Horrible stomach pains and bloating. Could not sleep because of the pain. Went to the doctor and he told me not to take it again."

Cyn (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2018

"I have taken Protonix 40 mg for acid reflux for years, and it worked wonders; I did not have to take it each day ( long term), but whenever I had issues with swallowing (dysphagia), heartburn, acid reflux, feeling that something is stuck in throat, esophagitis, etc., I would ask for this medication and it provided instant relief. Other PPI medications did not work well for me. Hopefully I will be totally relieved from any symptoms in its entirety. Good luck all."

Teary Eyes (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2018

"20mg worked really well with heartburn/reflux symptoms, but unfortunately this gave me terrible bloating, constipation and horrific smelling wind (literally had to open windows and put a fan on to air out ONE small room, and even then it still stank and lingered - talk about embarrassing and unpleasant). Not to mention I looked like a combination of 6 months pregnant/ a fat overstuffed sausage around my lower stomach which was very distressing and made me even more self conscious - (I'm a very petite woman and it was so bad it was showing through even my loosest t-shirts) like the awful wind wasn't enough! Perhaps it will work for you but I cannot say I'd recommend as it was awful. As soon as I stopped the digestive issues began to ease off , literally 24+ hours after the last dose I was already getting relief from the constipation & bloating. It's a no from me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2018

"I was given Protonix to replace Prilosec a few months ago. My doctor said it would help with reflux in my esophagus. However it made the heartburn return worse than I ever had. It felt like I was going to vomit lava. I went to urgent care and they gave me a GI cocktail to relieve the pain and told me to stop Protonix immediately. I’m back on Prilosec now. Protonix did ease the discomfort in my esophagus but made the heartburn unbearable."

Mt July 11, 2018

"I’ve been on pantoprazole with great results for several years after suffering a very bad stomach ulcer which landed me in the hospital for several days. Everything was going great until my pharmacy switched to a different brand and it quit working. I switched pharmacies and a year later that pharmacy switched to the same different brand and it quit working. Bottom line Camber pharmaceuticals is like taking a placebo or worse. I wish there was a way to test the strength of the pills."

Brand (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 21, 2018

Protonix (pantoprazole): "Since my early twenties (I am mid 50s now) I have had great difficulty swallowing with a feeling that something was stuck in my throat, followed by esophageal spasms, followed by projectile vomiting of stomach acid. Episodes could last for up to 10 hours. I've been hospitalized several times while have sever episodes of uncontrollable spasms/vomiting for hours. I was misdiagnosed for decades, had my throat stretched by laparoscopy/balloons periodically and tried a variety of medications. Nothing helped. I was extremely underweight from not being able to eat for so many years. Finally, a doctor put me on Protonix and it was a miracle. Unbelievably life changing. My only complaint was I gained 20 lbs in the first year I was on it. I take it twice a day and can eat whatever I like with no reaction."

Jett (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 30, 2018

"I started taking 40mg of Pantoprazole about 1 1/2 years ago for heartburn. Every day from the moment I first ate I would have heartburn all day long and into the night. 40mg of "panto" put a stop to it. I tried not taking it and could go maybe 2 days till the heartburn returned. Based on this I had my doctor drop the dosage to 20mg per day. This has continued to be effective. I love my panto. Wish I didn't need it, but I do."

Jenny (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 21, 2018

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I took Protonix for about a week and every time I took it, I got a severe headache every day. It did help to keep my heartburn at bay but to me, it is not worth it for the side effects. My mood dropped because of this medicine and I just did not feel like myself. I have stopped taking this medicine and I am now taking Zantac 150mg. Took effect and it is working wonders for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

"I suffered from sickness and burping after food for years and my gp wasn't at all helpful , she prescribed various things. I changed surgeries and the new doctor referred me to digestive diseases for a gastro investigation and it diagnosed coeliac disease I've been following a strict gluten free diet for 10 years and I am never sick I do get a lot of acid reflux over the past year and I take pantoprazole and it helps. Now and again I stop taking it to see if I can manage without and for a while that's fine and I rely on Gaviscon only and reduce the fat and fruit etc in my diet. It works for me ."

Chris (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I would wake up coughing up fluids and constantly have acid reflux symptoms, which began to lead to swallowing issues and high anxiety. My doctor put me on pantoprazol (protonix) and I take it once every morning. 40mg. I am not someone who likes medicine and won't even take tylenol for a headache. I love my pantoprazol (protonix) and hope it continue to keep my issues away."

Bobby (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2018

"This medication actually made my heartburn worse! Along with that, I had severe nausea, retching every morning when I woke up. Definitely did NOT work for me!"

Kcarmrn February 28, 2018

"I just stopped taking Panteloc (40mg daily) about 2 months ago and I think I have discovered that it was the reason I was getting migraines 4 times a week for the last 20 years. I have not been able to work because of these migraines ruining my life for so long. I am relieved to have found this out. Since I have stopped my heartburn has been almost unbearable but my migraines were worse so to help the GERD I will just have to be certain to avoid citrus, tomato, chocolate and coffee... and eating a few hours before bedtime. Please let others who have migraines know about this. It might save them their jobs and a lifetime of misery."

Cathleen Clare February 8, 2018

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I have had acid reflux, for 10 years. I've taken Nexium it takes my reflux a way, now insurance will not pay, so now I have to take Protonix Tabs 40mg once per day I get heart burn heart burn so bad I have to take tums 2 to 3 at a time just not happy. I must keep looking for better meds."

tAnziE1lAdy (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

"My gastro prescribed me 40mg of Pantoprazole once a day with Itropride. Tried it for 7 days. It gave me a relief and feels like I'm totally healed. However, it gave me severe constipation which resulted in hemorrhoids. It gave me headache and fatigue as well . He then changed it to ranitidine but it does not help at all. He then gave me dafflon for my hemoroids and got healed. I will not try this product again."

james_phil2018 December 6, 2017

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I had tried every other medicine out there, and none of them has worked for me like Protonix does. In combination with Carafate, I feel like me again. The chest pain, burping and burning has almost completely went away. No side effects at all. I highly recommend this medication.."

Baby Koala (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

"My Dr prescribed pantoprazone for chronic cough. He thought the cough and hoarseness might be caused by GERD. I quit after a few days because of the side effects. My osteoarthritis was so sore after taking this med that I could barely walk . I had ulcers in my mouth, my nose was tingling and I had horrible headaches. Days after quitting , I am having attacks of heartburn. I had none before taking this med. my advice is not to go near it!!"

Prairiegrl22 November 13, 2017

"I've been on it for 3 years, and still have to take it everyday,"

Bozack (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2017

"I went in to the doctor for acid reflux and he prescribed me protonix and after two days it helped but shortly after that I started getting worse acid reflux along with very uncomfortable chest pains with a ton of anxiety thinking I was having a heart attack so bad that I had to take a stress test and EKG to rule out any heart problems in addition to quitting the drug I had stomach pain headaches and ringing in the ears. However I did stop cold turkey but I was only on it for short time I'm at 39-year-old male in decent shape. I would not recommend this to anyone I know. I'm sure this medication works great for some people but definitely not for me."

RichieRich916 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2017

"Side effects not worth it. Took it for only 2 days but has to stop. Ringing in ears, worse dysphagia than before, stabbing over abdomen pain and diarrhoea. Only slightly reduced heart burn. Never taking again."

Steenie October 10, 2017

"I took Protonix 40mg for about two and a half weeks. My doctor prescribed this after my insurance no longer covered my Nexium that I had been on for years. I had intermittent headaches and also had stomach pains and nausea. The nausea is horrible, and I have been off of it for a day now and nausea is still persisting. I feel like I have to vomit from the nausea. I do not recommend this drug. I had no side effects with my Nexium, so now I will try omeprazole."

Sharonmo July 20, 2017

"Wonder drug!!!!!!"

Ringostarr July 11, 2017

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I've had GERD and Gastroparesis for over 10 years. Protonix is the only medicine I've found to help control the GERD. As long as I take it twice a day as instructed I do not have acid reflux."

ly2620 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 5, 2017

"With horrible acid reflux, I have been on this medicine for years, in the very beginning, for a short year or two, it seemed to help quite a bit, but then, afterward, it really didn't do anything. Then when I reached the 5th years on, it seemed to do more harm than goods. My acid reflux problem was worsen, let along all the side effects I encountered. So one day, I decided to drop it completely, and since the, my acid reflux actually got better. So this medicine alike with many conventional medicines, are just for quick short term fix."

natural believer May 31, 2017

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I have had GERD for years now. I started out taking Prilosec, but it started making me burp a lot and it would just absolutely hurt. My doctor switched me to Protonix and that has helped so much. I take 40 mgs twice a day. I don't burp nearly as much and food doesn't creep back up and into my mouth like it did so much either. I also take Zantac at night, but it still had helped a lot even before then. It's been such a relief. I didn't get any side effects from it either. I take it 30 minutes before breakfast and 30 minutes before lunch."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2017