User Reviews for Pantoprazole

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Learn more about Pantoprazole.

Pantoprazole Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Pantoprazole to treat GERD

"I was prescribed this medication because my insurance wasn't covering my previous medication which worked just right for me. This medication does ease the stomach pain but it gives me a nasty headache. The last headache that I had that was contributed by this medication lasted 5 days! Once I came to the realization that it was the Pantoprazole 40mg I stopped taking them and the headache went away."

gayle14587 (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

"I have been taking this medication for 6 years now religiously every morning. I am now concerned of the long term risks. They are linking this drug and other PPI's to a higher risk of devoloping dimensia. I take 40 mg. every morning and my doctor has prescribed me 20mg. So I can start to slowly lower myself off from taking so much. I have not started the 20 mg. yet since I've been on 40 mg. for years im afraid of how my body will react to it. Overall this medicine works better then any other medicine I have tried for my acid reflux. I don't think I will be able to live without it."

Nay84 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 6, 2016

"I started taking pantopraxole 6 days ago as my insurance company would not let me continue taking esomeprazole because it was not on the "formulary". I had to be able to prove that other meds for the GERD were either not effective or caused too many side effects. At first, the pantoprazole seemed to work. Then last night I began having severe reflux and heartburn that were not relieved by the usual treatments I have used when I was on omeprazole, before I started taking Nexium (esomeprazole ). I was awake all night, unable to find anyway of relieving the heartburn and reflux. This morning, I developed severe stomach pain which also was not relieved by any other home treatments. I refuse to ever take this drug again!"

mtnrose (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I took this medication until my HMO dropped it fron their formulary. While taking it, I felt great. I took only one a day and, if I forgot to take it or forgot to refill it before running out, I could miss a day or two without the heartburn returning. My doctor subsequently put me on Prilosec, twice a day. If I miss one, heartburn returns with a vengeance. If I miss a whole day, it takes three to five days to get the heartburn under control, again"

DublJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2016

"Perhaps this was because it is my only prescription that I use. Reading other persons' negative results may perhaps be due to interaction with other prescriptions."

My results were excellent. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I had heartburn and a history of an ulcer so my doctor put me on Protonix and when taking it daily I feel great, however with the new information about this kind of drug being linked to dementia and also that is can cause one to be addicted to it and cause rebound acid I decided to stop it. I am on day 4 and now a mild constant burning is in my stomach and often back up to my chest. I was given them for heartburn but the doctor wrote gerd and later I developed gerd on days I tried not to take it so I am concerned about this all coming back by 10 times worse. I am looking into a natural alternative first as dementia is all around in my family and my new holistic/medical doctor says this type of drug is dangerous."

TerryTwoHearts February 22, 2016

"I cut them in half [now 20 mg], from the beginning, take before breakfast, works like a charm. If I miss in the morning, I will have heart burn that night. -Affecting leg circulation??? used compression stockings, then message therapy, now replaced by using a rolling pin for 2 minutes (twice a day) rolling UP the leg. Saves me hundreds of $. -Cause of skin rash and itching on legs??? may be caused by dry air??"

Ray R (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 20, 2016

"Was prescribed nexium for gastritis and did not relieve symptoms. Went twice to ER had abdo xrays, blood tests, heart monitoring all came back normal. Put on pantoprazole and gp advised could stop after a month. Nearly a week off this and feel worse than ever with return of symptoms. Looks like have to recommence pantoprazole and have a GI consult. So over the discomfort and constant nausea"

Mia1971 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2016

"I began taking this medication over 7 years ago. It worked great for the first 4 years and slowly began to be less effective. After insurance denied my request to start a different PPI I began to take a double dose of it to make it work. It fixed the problem. Now after about a year of being back to my normal dose I am back to the awful breakthroughs. I wish it would be my miracle worker like it once was. It is the best that I have used so far of its kind. Just hoped it would have last forever."

Riri89 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 17, 2016

"I have used this for 2 months and it changed my life, after 3 years of pain and seeing doctor after doctor for what I thought was gallbladder pain but the last 2 days I've not been feeling good, same old symptoms are back (not sure if it's something I ate or what ) heading back to doctor in 2 days.. Overall this medicine has helped me tremendously for the past 2 months !!!!"

Arb12345 December 21, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole): "This was the worst medication I have ever taken. I was just prescribed this medication last week. After on it for only 2 days I stopped. Headache was unbearable. I thought I was gonna have to go to the hospital to get a cat scan until I realized it was probably the protonix. Then there was the nausea they came along as well. Five days later, I'm still nauseous, but used ginger to help with that. Overall, I will never use this medicine again."

Tee85 December 17, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole): "Unfortunately I have suffered with very serious GERD for 28 years and it has been awful. I have tried every prescription medicine out there and none of them work for me like Protonix does. I feel very close to a normal human being on this medication but none of the others lived up to Protonix. I received a horrible notice from our health insurance provider this past week and after December 31, 2015 they will no longer cover this drug. Their only suggestion for me with severe reflux is to try something else!!! I have tried EVERYTHING else on the market and nothing works but Protonix. NOTHING! I am so sick with the GERD when I am off this medicine I am pretty much house bound because I am so sick. For me it is a miracle drug!"

bordercollielover (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2015

"I have had great results for several years with generic pantoprazole, except twice when the pharmacy used the version from Sun Pharma. Not sure the marked difference (although there was a patent lawsuit against Sun for not disclosing a slight difference in chemical structure several years ago), but taking the Sun version is pretty much like taking nothing at all. I took a week's worth this time (there is a shortage of the Teva drug I usually get) and spent last night sick to my stomach with gnawing pain and bizarre single hiccups and belches. And while the pharmacy apparently had gotten some of the Teva brand in, I had to pay the full $40 because I couldn't get another batch covered by insurance for 2 weeks. Not all generics are equal."

JHawkMamaX2 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 13, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I was put on this medication after my insurance company stopped covering another PPI that worked well for me. I lasted one month and spent most of it popping ranitadine since anything I ate or drank caused almost immediate heartburn. By the end of the month I was vomiting. It was awful. I hated to be a pain but I called my PCP and told them I needed to go back on my previous med, which of course involved a lot of paperwork on his part. I have a friend that swears by this medication but mostly all I did was swear during the month I took it."

DonnaRNCEN September 24, 2015

Protonix (pantoprazole): "Best medicine ever! I have taken Protonix for over 5 years now with no complaints other than when I run out and have to use over the counter meds that do not work. I usually take the Protonix 1st thing in the morning. It lasts all day. There have been times I have forgotten to take it 1st thing in the morning however, no matter when I take it the pill still works within 15 minutes of being taken as if I had taken it in the morning."

D PRO (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2015

"Protonix does what it's supposed to do unless I really overeat, eat or drink something really acidic. Sometimes, I have the feeling of hoarseness, coughing like food is coming back up in my esophagus. If I have to vomit, my food looks undigested due to the protonix not letting my stomach produce enough acid. Miss a day of protonix or vomit and you pay the price."

shebo69 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2015

"Over three years ago I went to the doctor because I was getting severely ill every morning, the doctor diagnosed me with GERD and prescribed this for me. It worked great and I never had any symptoms unless I forgot to take it. Now, three years later it seems to have stopped working for me. I'm back to getting ill every morning with stomach pains. I gave it a 7 out of 10 for this reason. It worked great for me for so long but now my doctors are trying to find another solution."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 20, 2015

"This is a wonderful medication. I used to have GERD, and now I can eat anything, Mexican food, spicy food, sweets, anything and it does not bother me."

Desertii (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2015

"Tried most acid relievers and Protonix worked by far the best. Thank you Protonix."

Dan. (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 21, 2014

"Instant help on my regurgitation of food and stomach acid. And it was very chronic. Better than Nexium and all others. I have tried them all and pantoprazole is the best."

Risky kiddies (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 8, 2014

"I was prescribed Protonix for GERD after having a heart attack. I had been prescribed Omeprazole prior for the same condition, but after about 3 days, I had a very painful stomach, and eventually my stomach failed to empty and I spent a night over the toilet, throwing up everything I had eaten the afternoon before. I stopped the Omeprazole, and then tried it again about 3 weeks later, same result. Protonix was new to me and I decided to give it a chance, but 5 days after taking my first dose, I just spent a day in pain and once again, threw up my dinner and lunch from the day before. "

pwcca November 5, 2014

Protonix IV (pantoprazole): "I would cough like I was having asthma attacks but come to find out after taking everything there is on the plant for lung disease. This pill stopped it all I had acid and it caused the rest of stop. But I have flare ups now and then still."

Lilly1234 July 27, 2014

Protonix (pantoprazole): "After two days on Protonix (for GERD associated with adult-onset asthma) I ended up in the emergency room with extremely high blood pressure, fast, pounding pulse, severe headache, and severe anxiety. "

CzechChick (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Pantoprazole helped with the acid reflux. My problem started four years into taking it. For months I experienced flu like symptoms, such as muscle and joint aches, diarrhea, weakness and extreme fatigue. After MANY tests were done, I was told that I was vitamin D deficient. I know that any meds that control stomach acid also block the absorption of vitamins and things your body needs. I stopped taking Pantoprazole and was put on prescription vitamin D. After just one week, I felt like a new person. I cut out foods that bother my stomach and cut my portions in half. I may have to chew a Tums once in a while, but I feel great. So watch how long your doctor has you on this drug. It took four years to have the side effects that I had."

CarriePep March 7, 2014

"Kremers Urban pantoprazole is the best generic. My pharmacy switched my script to another company but it gave me the worst acid reflex I have ever had. "

PeterNH (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2013