User Reviews for Pantoprazole to treat GERD

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Pantoprazole Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 121 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Pantoprazole

Pj July 21, 2020

Protonix (pantoprazole): “I started taking protonix 40mg once daily after they took Zantac off the market. I started having a lot of stomach pain, gas, bloating, and watery diarrhea. It took me a while to figure out it was the protonix. I stopped taking it and replaced it with Pepcid complete once a day. Almost immediately those symptoms went away. I would be very careful taking this drug.”

Never Again · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2020

“I have been taking Pantoprazole, 40mg for 25 days. Side effects, (which I hadn't realized were side effects until coming here), headaches like I've never experienced before and they have been almost constant for days. Racing pulse, palpitations, shortness of breath, constipation and now my sleep is being affected. It initially helped with the issues I was having but the headaches alone have been unbearable, like I have almost gone to the hospital unbearable.”

Pug · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2020

“Taking pantoprazole twice daily 40 mg having chest pains stomach pain and shortness of breath”

Toni · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2020

“I took one pill yesterday, today I’m in so much pain also feeling weird , just in different state of mind. I’ll never take it again.”

Ms. B · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2020

“I took this for GERD. I took twice. Horrible stomach ache/ gas. Also made me feel weird. I even started feeling super anxious and depressed.. started crying and feeling hopeless. Also did nothing for my symptoms. Although I wasn’t on them long enough to help. They made my reflux worse!! Horrible medication. Never again!”

Liv · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2020

“Went on this medication due to reflux that couldn’t be fixed with over the counter medication. It did help with the burning sensation but in return I got chest pains that spread to my back and neck, constant burping, coughing, cold sweats and a whole heap of anxiety. Heading back to my doctor tomorrow to hopefully find something else that will work.”

MsS · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2020

Protonix (pantoprazole): “I took this for about 2 and a half months. Half way through I told my Dr it wasn't working. He said I was under stress. Not. Then I developed a hot, itchy rash on my arms and face. They told me to stop taking it and start Nexium. I didn't because to me they seem to have the same risk. Being off Protonix is almost as bad as being on it. Terrible acid reflux. I am sleeping sitting up, I can't eat very much, I can hardly wake up and start falling asleep around 7 PM and I have had a headache off and on for 3 days. Going to an Internal Medicine Specialist next because I’d like to know the reason for the reflux I have had for 1.5 years not just take a medication.”

Canuck · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2020

“Was having so much trouble with my stomach so finally started taking this pantoprazole. I had been living on Tums, so was so very happy to find it worked right away. Have had NO side affects whatsoever.”

Molly828 · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2020

“I took Pantoprazole for 6 days 20mg. My side effects were awful headache, trouble sleeping, anxiety I would not recommend taking this at all.”

Sissy · Taken for 10 years or more April 23, 2020

“I've been on this medication for a few years. It did great until now. I have burning and itchy vaginal and anus. Dark urine, gurgling down through the intestines. And I'm having swelling in my legs with chills. Some stomach pains as well. I stopped the medicine to clear up which it is now doing. I had bleeding in the vaginal and anus area too. I will be getting a colonoscopy this summer.”

mmurr95 April 20, 2020

“I've had pretty bad acid reflux for years now, probably about 6 years and I finally went to the doctor to get it checked out. He put me on this medicine pantoprazole and I thought it worked for the first couple of days. But now I have SEVERE chest tightness and pain and my symptoms got worse. I'll be calling them and seeing if they can put me on something else.”

ANDY · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

“I've been prescribed 40mg of protonix twice a day for severe acid reflux. Ever since starting on this medicine it's been a nightmare I have side effects of severe migraine in the back of my head to my neck and upper back, and joint pain. I'm 31 year old male and never had experienced anything like this in my life. The pain is unbearable. I just called to see what they can do for me.. waiting for a response.. But I'm defiantly not taking these anymore. I don't take any other medication so I'm almost certain it's the medication.”

Pdd · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2020

“pantoprazole gave me no side effects at all. Works amazing for my horrible acid reflux. Highly recommend”

lvb11 · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2020

“I have taken it for mild reflux (which was discovered through gastroscopy, but produced no specific symptoms, however could be linked to throat problems and bloating). I've stopped it taking after 4 weeks, because occasional stomach pains appeared and some old skin problems flared up. After another month my reflux was becoming stronger than ever, with clear symptoms.”

ESB · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“I was prescribed 40 mg of Pantoprazole for GERD, the doctor prescribed me 30 tablets out of the 30 I’ve taken 22 and I’ve been having chest pain, shortness of breath, and very lightheaded(dizzy) like I’m going to pass out. I was just released from the cardiologist and everything was okay. So I decided to research patient reviews on this medicine and I’ve read I’m not the only one with these side effects. I’ve even experienced headaches daily with leg cramping. This medicine isn’t good for me and I wouldn’t want no one else having to get these side effects. I’ve been to the ER twice since taking this medicine. The medicine has me thinking I was having a heart attack, there was several other test ran for them to say everything is normal.”

Monolu · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“Took pantoprazole 20mg for 10 days for GERD. It did reduce my stomach acid but gave me: constant pain/tightness in the chest and upper back, shortness of breath, overall body aches, feverish and fluey feeling. I stopped it and am looking for an alternative.”

Barr February 2, 2020

“I have been on pantoprazole prescribed by my primary doc., About four weeks 40mg. The reason why my doctor put me on it was because the acid reflex was becoming worse by the day. In addition, I had an esophagram and it confirmed that I had Gerd. During this 4 week stretch I feel worse by the day. On and off constipation, flatulence, sore throat/ burning , insomnia and constant hacking, coughing up white foamy phlegm that is syrupy. I know one thing that has caused this GERD to come on is Tomatoes. I used to eat them in one fashion or another daily. My body rejects them and causes terrible heart burn. Now, I must do life changes in diet. That’s not easy to do.”

Jordan January 6, 2020

“I told my ENT doctor that in the past year or two I had been losing my voice and had a kind of tired throat. Nothing severe but worrying. A GI doctor did an endoscopy and told me I had esophagitis and prescribed 40mg of Pantoprazole. On the 3rd or 4th day on Panto, I woke up with a burning sensation in my throat and a horrible acidic taste in my mouth. This was the end of November. It is now January 6 and I have been off the drug (including trying Omeprazole for 3 weeks, with no help) for a month and these NEW symptoms have not gone away. I have begged multiple GI doctors for help and none of them will admit this drug did this to me. None of them have given me any advice or recommended anything to help this, nor will they acknowledge the drug could cause this reaction. Life has been an absolute nightmare ever since taking Pantoprazole and I would highly suggest people try other options before trying it.”

Refluxsuperhero · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 29, 2019

“I have taken 40mg Pantoprazole for about five years for reflux. Went to doc because I was hoarse for a long period of time. Doc said it was acid reflux. I thought, NO WAY, because I’ve had acid reflux before after eating pepperoni or something, which was just horrible. Went to gastro doc and he confirmed acid reflux and put me on Pantoprazole, 2 per day. I quickly stopped taking the morning one because I just didn’t need it. After about five years the pharmacy filled my script with Pantoprazole manufactured by Kremers Lannett (white pill) instead of the normal manufacturer, Teva USA ( yellow pill). Within a couple weeks I was having to sleep sitting up and acid was still bubbling up. Horrible!!! Took wife’s yellow pills and it immediately cleared up. Weird!!”

VA1958 December 1, 2019

“I started medication when omezaprole quit working-I had to take Gaviscon daily. A friend said his doc had put him on pantaprozole and he was having good luck. I asked my PCP and he said I could try it. First day, I experienced extreme intestinal cramping shortly after taking it. By the time I got home I spent considerable time in the bathroom w/diarrhea. It subsided several hours later; left my stomach "tender." Not thinking the two were related, I took another one the next morning-by the time I got to work, I had to run to the bathroom-same issues; Day 3 no intestinal issues; however, I broke out in hives all over my body (so I took 2 Zyrtec and 2 pepcid which relieved the itching). Day 4 I tried again- this time MASSIVE headache and hives. I did the 2 Zyrtec and 2 pepcid and IB800 and the hives and headaches went away. On day 4 decided to review the side effects-all of my side effects fall under "rare occurrences." I stopped taking it and the symptoms have subsided.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2019

“I had been taking OTC Zantac twice daily for GERD. During a medical appointment with PCP, I was prescribed Pantoprazole because my abdomen was tender on palpating. My visit had nothing to do with heart burn, rather for an elevated BP and heart palpitations. I took the Pantoprazole for about 10 days. During that time, my abdomen became horribly bloated. I looked like a pregnant woman with an old face. The sense of pressure and fullness was miserable and made it difficult to discern cardiac symptoms from the discomfort of stomach bloating. It also caused my heart to race even more, despite being placed on a BP medication. That’s when I remembered having been prescribed Pantoprazole last year and stopping it due to racing heart. I also experienced loss of appetite and a constant bitter taste in my mouth. It did eliminate GERD, but was not worth the side effects, especially those affecting a vital organ like the heart. I will refuse future instructions to take this drug.”

Boot · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 26, 2019

“I was put on Pantoprazole about three years ago after having trouble swallowing food. I went to see my kidney doctor today, he told me he found out that taking it was bad on my kidney and not take it any longer, so I threw them in the trash”

Mila October 18, 2019

“I've been having acid reflux for a couple of months now but it was never bad enough for me to want to take medication for it. My doctor had prescribed me pantoprazole but I never reached for it because I was wary about it and my symptoms were not severe. A week ago, my symptoms worsened slightly and I decided to give it a try. With each day that I took it, my acid reflux got worse and worse as well as my anxiety. I had intense nausea, an awful taste in my mouth, burning and squeezing sensations in my chest, and my throat was constantly tight. I thought that maybe it would get better but my symptoms worsened so much that by the 3rd day, I couldn't tolerate it anymore. I stopped taking the pantoprazole and it's been 3-4 days ever since, and I'm still battling the symptoms the drug worsened. I know this drug may work for some people but it definitely didn't work for me, and I'd recommend to not take it.”

Betsy October 18, 2019

“Got a pain in my stomach and went to the GI Doc. He did an endoscopy. He prescribed Pantoprazole before the procedure to reduce inflammation and it turned out I did not have any inflammation. Post procedure, he advised I keep taking it. Side effects were severe. I stopped taking it. I DID NOT HAVE GERD before this. The question is WHY are GI docs prescribing it with impunity! I now have GERD - a condition that I will have to live with for the rest of my life. THIS DRUG IS POISON!”

Dlighty · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 17, 2019

“I was taking Pantropazole for around 2 years. My primary dr. said to get off it as she don't like me on it long term. After about a month of being off it my stomach aches stopped. I no longer have bowel problems, the drowsiness stopped and I feel better . I haven't had any GERD issues yet either.”