User Reviews for Pantoprazole

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Pantoprazole.

Pantoprazole Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 135 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Pantoprazole to treat GERD

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I had tried every other medicine out there, and none of them has worked for me like Protonix does. In combination with Carafate, I feel like me again. The chest pain, burping and burning has almost completely went away. No side effects at all. I highly recommend this medication.."

Baby Koala (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Dr prescribed pantoprazone for chronic cough. He thought the cough and hoarseness might be caused by GERD. I quit after a few days because of the side effects. My osteoarthritis was so sore after taking this med that I could barely walk . I had ulcers in my mouth, my nose was tingling and I had horrible headaches. Days after quitting , I am having attacks of heartburn. I had none before taking this med. my advice is not to go near it!!"

Prairiegrl22 November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on it for 3 years, and still have to take it everyday,"

Bozack (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went in to the doctor for acid reflux and he prescribed me protonix and after two days it helped but shortly after that I started getting worse acid reflux along with very uncomfortable chest pains with a ton of anxiety thinking I was having a heart attack so bad that I had to take a stress test and EKG to rule out any heart problems in addition to quitting the drug I had stomach pain headaches and ringing in the ears. However I did stop cold turkey but I was only on it for short time I'm at 39-year-old male in decent shape. I would not recommend this to anyone I know. I'm sure this medication works great for some people but definitely not for me."

RichieRich916 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Side effects not worth it. Took it for only 2 days but has to stop. Ringing in ears, worse dysphagia than before, stabbing over abdomen pain and diarrhoea. Only slightly reduced heart burn. Never taking again."

Steenie October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Protonix 40mg for about two and a half weeks. My doctor prescribed this after my insurance no longer covered my Nexium that I had been on for years. I had intermittent headaches and also had stomach pains and nausea. The nausea is horrible, and I have been off of it for a day now and nausea is still persisting. I feel like I have to vomit from the nausea. I do not recommend this drug. I had no side effects with my Nexium, so now I will try omeprazole."

Sharonmo July 20, 2017

"Wonder drug!!!!!!"

Ringostarr July 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I've had GERD and Gastroparesis for over 10 years. Protonix is the only medicine I've found to help control the GERD. As long as I take it twice a day as instructed I do not have acid reflux."

ly2620 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"With horrible acid reflux, I have been on this medicine for years, in the very beginning, for a short year or two, it seemed to help quite a bit, but then, afterward, it really didn't do anything. Then when I reached the 5th years on, it seemed to do more harm than goods. My acid reflux problem was worsen, let along all the side effects I encountered. So one day, I decided to drop it completely, and since the, my acid reflux actually got better. So this medicine alike with many conventional medicines, are just for quick short term fix."

natural believer May 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I have had GERD for years now. I started out taking Prilosec, but it started making me burp a lot and it would just absolutely hurt. My doctor switched me to Protonix and that has helped so much. I take 40 mgs twice a day. I don't burp nearly as much and food doesn't creep back up and into my mouth like it did so much either. I also take Zantac at night, but it still had helped a lot even before then. It's been such a relief. I didn't get any side effects from it either. I take it 30 minutes before breakfast and 30 minutes before lunch."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had moderate to severe GERD for 10+ years; last med I was on was Lansoprolzale for 5+ years. Recently, I was switched to Pantaprozale Sodium 40 mg a day; have taken it for less than a week and it's been hell since the first day I took it. Have had sweats and the worst joint and muscle pains and cramps, and ulcers in my mouth along with a sore throat. At the NP's advice who prescribed it I also take Magnesium. I'm stopping this med today and hope these side effects go away soon."

Clalumelia2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Severe itching, swelling and redness in hands and neck. Immediate burning in esophagus and acid reflux symptoms."

Kristi76 February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Feeling dizzy , severe head-ache"

savithri srithar (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking medicine to many years in my opinion."

Weawea (taken for 10 years or more) December 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If you have diabetes type 2, I strongly urge you not to take this drug. Even though they say that increase of blood sugar is rare, this happened to me. About five days I started taking this drug (40mg), I started to feel lightheaded. My morning reading of blood sugar is normally about 6.6 three hours after breakfast, but I started getting readings of 11.6. I felt like hell. Even worse, the spike in blood sugar caused my blood pressure (controlled by medication) to also spike to about 165/80. I decided to stop the Pantoprazole. The lightheadness went away, and my blood pressure returned to normal. Be very careful with this drug. There are a couple of websites which warn of increase in blood sugar."

Piceno (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While on this medication 20mg 2x daily I had chest pain and shortness of breath. I was taking to the hospital multiple times because I thought I was having a heart attack."

Timmy G. December 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on pantoprazole 40 mgs for a long time. I still vomit in my throat , have heartburn and my throat is hoarse and scratchy all the time ! In fact my whole life as far I I remember my throat was scratchy. I used to keep my family up at night as a kid always trying to clear my throat. Today I had bread and butter to eat and still want to vomit and uncomfortable in my chest ! I am off to vomit now just to give myself some relief. I do not eat spicy food yet still get it. I am at wits end. Maybe I should just stop eating all together ! Not sure of this is linked to what I suffer with. But I lost most of my back molars now even though I always brush my teeth at least 3-4 times a day Could this be from acid leaking up into my throat ?"

Abbygail23 November 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on 40 mg twice a day for 2 weeks. I can't shake this awful headache. Then a week ago I woke up feeling as though I was hit with the flu. Body hurting all over, severe headche, restless, no energy, cotton mouth to the extreme, no appetite. Been so sick haven't even noticed if the medicine is actually working for what I am taking it for. Went to the doctor tested me for flu, pneumonia, strep, u name it and found nothing. Pain is unbelieveable and continous. Stopped taking the medicine yesterday and showing huge signs of improvement. I will stick to my bottle of tums a day over that horrific pain. Not worth it. Hurt burn is pain full but at least I can go about my day with it. This medicine I couldnt even get out of bed"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I have had severe Gerd/Acid Reflux for nearly 6 years. It has put me in the hospital 7 times now and has totally destroyed my teeth which I have always been meticulous about caring for. Presently, it's also causing me swallowing problems and voice troubles. The pain the Gerd can generate is an actual true "10"-Far far worse than the pain I experienced from a Quad Cardiac Bypass surgery. My doctor gave me Protonix for it and it worked Very well on reducing, perhaps, 80% of the pain. Unfortunately, the medication caused Peripheral Edema Big time and I had to go off of it again. The edema immediately went away, but the pain came back too. I have noticed this reaction from almost all proton pumps that I have tried to date."

Wagriff (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Protonix for 2 weeks and feel awful. I have high pitched ringing in my ears, headaches, a lot of fatigue, and constantly feel like there is a lump in my throat that is very uncomfortable. I just feel beat up and wiped out! Saw dr. but she found nothing. Didn't look down throat very well though. Hate not knowing if it's Protonix but worried about stopping it to see."

Disfan (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medication because my insurance wasn't covering my previous medication which worked just right for me. This medication does ease the stomach pain but it gives me a nasty headache. The last headache that I had that was contributed by this medication lasted 5 days! Once I came to the realization that it was the Pantoprazole 40mg I stopped taking them and the headache went away."

gayle14587 (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this medication for 6 years now religiously every morning. I am now concerned of the long term risks. They are linking this drug and other PPI's to a higher risk of devoloping dimensia. I take 40 mg. every morning and my doctor has prescribed me 20mg. So I can start to slowly lower myself off from taking so much. I have not started the 20 mg. yet since I've been on 40 mg. for years im afraid of how my body will react to it. Overall this medicine works better then any other medicine I have tried for my acid reflux. I don't think I will be able to live without it."

Nay84 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking pantopraxole 6 days ago as my insurance company would not let me continue taking esomeprazole because it was not on the "formulary". I had to be able to prove that other meds for the GERD were either not effective or caused too many side effects. At first, the pantoprazole seemed to work. Then last night I began having severe reflux and heartburn that were not relieved by the usual treatments I have used when I was on omeprazole, before I started taking Nexium (esomeprazole ). I was awake all night, unable to find anyway of relieving the heartburn and reflux. This morning, I developed severe stomach pain which also was not relieved by any other home treatments. I refuse to ever take this drug again!"

mtnrose (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Protonix (pantoprazole): "I took this medication until my HMO dropped it fron their formulary. While taking it, I felt great. I took only one a day and, if I forgot to take it or forgot to refill it before running out, I could miss a day or two without the heartburn returning. My doctor subsequently put me on Prilosec, twice a day. If I miss one, heartburn returns with a vengeance. If I miss a whole day, it takes three to five days to get the heartburn under control, again"

DublJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Perhaps this was because it is my only prescription that I use. Reading other persons' negative results may perhaps be due to interaction with other prescriptions."

My results were excellent. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016