User Reviews for Pantoprazole to treat Stomach Ulcer

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Pantoprazole Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 82 medications used in the treatment of Stomach Ulcer.

Reviews for Pantoprazole

Eva · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2020

“The doctor prescribed this drug to heal my stomach after having nausea and no appetite. After taking this drug I have experience really bad side effects which have affected me so much. Depression and extreme crying, anxiety to the point of having chest pains and tight chest feeling, joint pain, pins and needles, fever, gas and bloating, extreme nausea and no desire to eat, abdominal pain, brain fog, weakness and tired, insomnia, headaches. This has made me go to the ER thinking something serious was wrong with me. Being off of this medication for 2 days and symptoms are subsiding but still present. I was finally able to regain some appetite and eat again. I am sharing my story to let others know of the serious side effects of this medication.”

M April 4, 2020

“Currently taking pantoprazole 40mg twice daily for a bit over 2 months now, for treatment of a possible ulcer and as prophylaxis while on extensive anti-inflammatory medications for another condition. Works great as far as I can tell, and I can't think of any side negative effects except some very mild stomach upset within ~20 minutes to an hour after taking it. I'm unfortunately very prone to side effects from medications, so I figured I'd write this review to help reassure people who might be seeing all the negative reviews on here.”

Catlover · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

“pantoprazole was prescribed for bleeding ulcer and severe anemia. Do not have GERD or acid reflux. I have never taken a med that has caused me so much pain. First in abdomen and then spasms in neck and back. No energy and look and feel like I'm 100 years old. Everywhere I have arthritis is burning. Most days heating pads are my best friend. Just hope the side effects go away when I go off it. Apparently these side effects are listed on several websites. Just hope that it's healing the ulcer. Can't rate in for healing but for side effects.”

Cute cat January 4, 2020

“My name is Alison all my life I have dealt with ulcers never ate much but had them. I was first put on rapabrazole then after quite a few years that wasn’t working so I was switched to pantaprazole. But now I need to change to something stronger.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2019

“I started taking pantoprazole about 3 weeks ago. Saturday morning I my head woke me up throbbing, not being able to get out of bed like serious migraine I never experienced no pain like this in my life. Sunday and Monday I was ok dizzy but my head seemed ok. Tuesday came around and that awful headache was back it turns out 10 percent of people get migraines from this. I have to say it did help my ulcer but I definitely will never forget that headache pain. Now I have to be on muscle relaxers and anticonvulsants till this drug leaves my system to deal with the headaches - just an FYI.”

c00lbeagle · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2019

“I took pantoprazole for two days. It took away some of the symptoms but I still have issues in the bathroom. I delayed taking the dose today just to see how I was doing because for the most part I felt alright while on it. But now I realize that it is just a bandaid to mask the symptoms so that I'll just think that it is working on the stomach when really nobody knows (yet) what my problem is and that medication is not guaranteed to help me get things sorted out. I can belch and fart if I'm lucky to get rid of the trapped gas that is there. I have gone for days without having to do anything except pee and then I get lucky after I start to hear gurgling. The pain is constant of course and it travels. Sometimes nothing relieves it. I refuse to take anything for pain management. Would I recommend this? Only if you have a proper diagnosis. Other than that nope.”

Neededsomthing May 12, 2019

“I had GERD causing a sore throat, it started after a pregnancy in which I threw up a lot. Took Zantac didn’t really help. Was also having stomach problems and so eventually a scope was done and several small stomach ulcers were found. Took this PPI Pantoprazole because I was still breastfeeding. For a while it was really helpful, (did make me flatulent though). Stopped for a while for a pregnancy, went back on after 18 months maybe had shaking leg syndrome ( twitching legs at night probably magnesium deficiency) And was having interstitial cystitis or an irritation of the bladder actually had it scoped for ( expensive procedure with camera and general anesthetic) But it was the pantaprozole . It all went away when I stopped taking it. Unfortunately my throat got so bad I started retching at the table when eating and gaining weight because I would eat continuously to keep down the pain. Anyhow went back on different PPI, and after a year my bladder is starting to bug me again.”

Peach · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 6, 2019

“The pantoprazole helps my stomach ulcer however my hair is falling out.”

Wisconsin girl 36 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 28, 2018

“It honestly did not really work at all for me. My doctor ended having to change me to something else due to no improvement at all. I was on it for 2.5 months”

Ms. Vickie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2018

“My stomach ulcer was found through a routine colonoscopy, and I was prescribed pantoprazole, and I am thankful, it works, eases the burning feeling, and the stomach pains.”

Loreedix · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2018

“I have an ulcer, this medicine make me constipated. Makes me strain and it is very uncomfortable.”

LadyMiMi · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2017

“It only worked for a week properly. Although, I don’t have heartburn anymore, I feel nauseous, bloated, and gassy, constantly. During the second week I developed pneumonia in one lung and pleurisy in the other. After being on antibiotics for 10 days, the affect of Pantoprazole seemed to wear off. Would antibiotics cause this to happen?”

can't sleep · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2017

“* hopefully it will cure the ulcers and torn up stomach caused by antibiotics due to infection from kitten bite. The side effects are awful tired, burps, insomnia, fever, headaches, loss of appetite, belching, bloated, fatigue, drowsiness, tired feeling, and stomach upset...am on other meditations and it's my depression is worse but not sleeping or feeling well add to it. Not sure if it's connected but I have so many canker sores on my tongue my throat hurts.”

Lh0025 October 14, 2016

“This has been a miracle drug for healing stomach ulcers. It took about 6weeks to heal completely. No negative side effects from this drug only positive.”

Jewelgal · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2016

“I gave it a 1 because the side effects for me were so severe. I can't tell yet whether it helped my stomach but I knew instantly I had to get off it. Further reading and other people's experiences sealed the deal for me. I went deaf, instantly jaundice face and eyes, eye sight went some days...some days not. I was taking other drugs that were compatible with it but the side effects I'm certain came from this one. Once I went off of it (I tapered down over a week while upping my diet based on my condition's needs) I had a severe headache for a couple of days, heart raced and a bit of nausea. Feel much better now and the jaundice is gone and after almost two months of not being able to hear, I hear a bit better today. I was taking 80mg”

nov021925 April 24, 2016

“Seems to ease stomach pain.”

trish59 · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2016

“Starting taking this med after bleeding duodenal ulcer put me in hospital-Took for 2 weeks but my sugars started spiking near 400 no matter what I ate. This is not the drug for me or possibly any other diabetics out there with sugar control issues.”

Ezjazz121 · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2016

“The side effects from this medication after 2 days was horrific. I had to stop taking it. Stomach pain, excessive urination & intestinal pain from worse than normal constipation. Wow.”

SuffererOfUlcers · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2016

Protonix IV (pantoprazole): “I perforated a stomach ulcer, at age of only 33 y/o, and Protonix saved my life (after emergency surgery). ;-)”

goodpeople December 1, 2014

Protonix IV (pantoprazole): “Works instant, better than any other meds”

Suzette1984 February 8, 2014

Protonix (pantoprazole): “Had the most excruciating, painful ulcers that would wake me up in the middle of the night, and be so bad that I would double over from the pain. The Dr. gave me Protonix, and I swear after just taking the first pill that first night, the symptoms were gone! The pills were so effective, I only took them for 5 nights in a row, (even though he told me to finish the bottle) and just saved the other pills in case I might need them in the future. So far the pain has only come back once, from eating too much Tabasco sauce one night, but other than that, I've not been woken up with the pain since I've taken the pills. These pills were a God send for me. Extremely effective.”

JenksAten · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 4, 2013

Protonix (pantoprazole): “Spent two and a half years vomiting everything but coca cola, ramen, and mashed potatoes. Had tried numerous ulcer medicines all failing miserably. Protonix made life bearable again! It actually ceased the pain!”

dalepmr · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 25, 2013

Protonix (pantoprazole): “Works so well I forget I have a problem until I forget to take it, then I'm reminded the next day...ugh!”

SMSur May 11, 2013

Protonix (pantoprazole): “I had 23 bleeding peptic, duodenal, and esophageal ulcers and GERD. This is helping.”

Anonymous October 17, 2011

Protonix (pantoprazole): “Took the burn away in my stomach but made my hands and fingers swell.”

Learn more about Stomach Ulcer

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)