User Reviews for Pantoprazole to treat Gastritis/Duodenitis

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Pantoprazole has an average rating of 4.0 out of 10 from a total of 21 ratings for the treatment of Gastritis/Duodenitis. 29% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 67% reported a negative effect.

Pantoprazole Rating Summary

4.0/10 average rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Gastritis/Duodenitis.

Reviews for Pantoprazole

Beekeeper :) November 22, 2020

“I went to the doctor with bloating issues and I have had acid reflux plenty over the years but I guess it finally caused me more problems because the doctor told me I had Gastritis with possible Peptic Ulcer. She prescribed Pantoprazole for 8 weeks. Well it started to help with the bloating within the first week but I had some strange things going on, I was dizzy as heck for the first week and then I started to get abdominal pains around my ribs and lower back, my leg muscles were sore sometimes for brief periods and I also felt like there was a lump in my throat. I do have terrible anxiety and panic attacks, so I tend to make things worse by worrying all the time thinking I'm dying from unknown issues which is terrible. I have read a lot of these reviews and see some similarities in my experiences with this drug, I have 21 more pills to take and can't wait to get off of these, Funny thing is I NEVER had these problems until I started taking this drug !!”

Lpete71 · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2021

“Can anyone tell me how long the side effects last from this medicine? I took it for 12 days. During the second week I started waking up crying and feeling depressed every morning. I have more anxiety. Started having stomach pain and one day I had severe nausea. Also, was dealing with some loss of appetite and that’s gotten worse. I also experienced brain fog and extreme exhaustion and fatigue, like I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I think that PPI’s can be extremely dangerous for some people. How can a medicine that’s supposed to heal bring so much destruction to your body? Ugh. I I want to figure out something natural to take.”

ella · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2019

“Do not take this pantoprazole, it is bad for you, avoid it at all costs I mean it. I was supposedly diagnosed with gastritis. The doctor gave me pantoprazole. After the first few days I started feeling throat tightness/lump feeling even after light exercise. Then gradually worsened and I felt it all day everyday. Also had extreme nausea had to go to the hospital. Been off it for 2 days now and my throat is recovering and my nausea has also subsided. DO NOT TAKE THIS. It will make you feel awful and it is hard to recover from it.”

Sweetinthesun · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2020

“Pantoprazole helped the burning sensation within few days. No side effects. Having pain still but treatment is only half way through. Don't be afraid to take it. I'm afraid of taking anything and have severe anxiety disorder but this I took with ease. It beats feeling the alternative. It does work.”

Missy March 12, 2019

“Took pantoprazole for 2 weeks. It helped the gastritis somewhat but the side effects were not worth it. Bloated, gassy, constipated, and just plain miserable. Everywhere I went smelled like fart. Not like normal fart, but super mega supreme farts. My couch smelled, my bed smelled, & I even heard a couple complaints in the grocery store! My butt was constantly leaking rank farts beyond my control. At first, I had to use coffee to be able to go #2, but then I wasn't able to go at all. I even tried Miralax, which normally helps with occasional constipation, but even that didn't work, just caused fluid to get stuck in my bowel. You could press on my lower abdomen & hear squelching but I could still barely go at all! 2 days after stopping this medication, and my bowels finally released. It's been about 5 days now, and I've lost about 5 lbs from pooping. I weigh just under 130 lbs, so 5 lbs of crap is a lot on my small frame. I seriously looked prego. I'm going back to Pepcid.”

kkrocksvegas April 16, 2015

“This med has been a life saver for me. I had gotten a severe case of food poisoning, then I developed gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining due to excessive vomiting) The ambulance had to take me to the emergency room! When I was released 6 hrs later, I was prescribed this med. My stomach pain immediately lessened. One every 24hrs. I'm on day 5 and the gastritis is about gone. No cramps, no pain in my stomach, no nausea. I recommend this one for gastistis!!!”

Fay · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2020

“Lots of negative experiences on here but these drugs clearly work well for some people. Unfortunately I don’t get on with any of the PPI’s and this pantoprazole one was the Dr’s last try. I get joint pain, fatigue, dizziness and low mood with PPI’s but this one gives me abdominal cramps too. It does the job on the stomach issues but isn’t worth putting up with the side effects so it’s back to the H2 blockers for me. A word of caution- take note of the warning on the drug info regarding B12 and magnesium malabsorption. I supplemented with these and felt better for doing so.”

So freaking terrible · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2015

“I can't even explain how horrible this headache is. It is 3:44am, and I can't sleep a wink because of the horrible pain I'm in. I've only just started this medication, yesterday, and it will be my last dose. It's Pantoprozole Sodium Extended release 40mg. When they say headache is a possible/common side effect, they weren't kidding. Migraine like pain. I will gladly take gastritis over this crap. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, again. This sucks soooooo bad!!!”

LahTiDah June 15, 2019

“I was put on pantoprazole for stomach irritations caused by NSAIDS Has anyone experienced itching or rashes with Pantoprazole? I have taken it for 10 days and had only mild headaches and unpleasant dizziness. But yesterday I developed some itchy, blotchy looking rash areas. They itch like crazy. I have every cream under the yellow sun in my closet and nothing has turned off this infernal itch.”

TS · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2020

“Have taken this medication only three days as I tried the others which gave me headaches. This one is the worst, as reflux kept under control but had terrible headaches lasting most of the day and night and have to stop, back to antacids.”

TP · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2021

“I developed acute gastritis after dry-swallowing ibuprofen. I took 40mg of Pantoprazole for four weeks and saw a huge improvement, especially in the first couple days. Those first couple days I experienced moderate migraines, but it was well worth it. I didn’t have issues when I felt I was okay to stop taking it. I don’t think I would be better today if it weren’t for the PPI.”

Solved crippling stomach pain · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2017

“I was prescribed this following three or four days with crippling stomach pain caused by gastritis' within a few hours I had immediate relief and within 36 hours felt virtually back to normal, so much so that I ceased taking the medication on day 4 or 5 (supported by my GP). I was taking the 40mg Gastro-resistant tablets twice daily.”

Francescavviale September 25, 2017

“I was with gastritis symptoms for about two weeks and didn't pay attention until last Sunday I had one of the worst stomach pain ever, couldn't sleep, had fever and nausea the entire night and even during Monday. I went to the doctor that same Monday and he gave me this medication; after I took it, the pain went away within 20 minutes and, in about 3 days, almost came back to normal. I'm still taking them for another 6 days because I still feel I need it (I was almost an entire month feeling weird so I think I will take a while before I go back to normal). I'm also complementing with a healthy diet (stopped drinking coffee, sodas, foods with sugar or fat).”

Kim · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 28, 2020

“I was prescribed this medicine when my insurance stopped covering Dexilant and I developed some ulcers. It completely healed my very large ulcers in 3 months but I gained 20 pounds. I kept taking it because of gastritis and this is the only lactose free PPI my insurance covers. After 3 years. I’ve gained a total of 30 pounds barely eating anything and when I tried to stop taking it, I was vomiting within 3 days so I have to continue taking the medicine until I can find something else.”

Missadri · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2021

“The first two days, I was okay. After that, the MOMENT I took the pill, I started shaking, throwing up, became extremely dizzy, and it came to the point I passed out in my fiances arms. It was the worst experience I’ve ever dealt with with any medication ever. I do not recommend this, and I wouldn’t wish side effects like this on my worse enemy.”

Rae · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2021

“I feel like this medication is not helping me, sometimes my throat feels funny, I guess it is due to the build up of gas, it gives me a overall sick feeling, I just only been taking it for less a week, trying to take a little longer but about to give up.”

Lin · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2021

“I had gastritis for 4 weeks now. After eating 2-3 spoon full of porridge I vomited after. Terrible stomach pain the whole day. Pantoprazole 40mg/day in the morning was recommended to me. I take paracetamol every 4 hours and I feel a lot better after. But a little stomach discomfort never go away. After I vomit I feel better I had to do it coz I feel more sick if let the food sit in my tummy. Surprisingly I can tolerate well, boiled egg (white part only) yakult, blue berries, apple but these fruits I must chewed very much before swallow. I eat small meal every 2-3 hrs and it helps. I couldn't sleep at night due to middle stomach pain that radiates to the back. I take paracetamol and i get relief. My pantoprazole is up to 6 weeks hopefully I will feel better. I had to stop going to work because of constant pain. Didn't wanna go to hospital scared of getting covid. Just diet modification. Eat small amount every 3hrs, apple cider in apple juice, paracetamol, pantoprazole and I feel improved”

Thundercat · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

“Took for one day, extreme bloating, bad gas, dizzy, just felt like something wasn't right. Terrible terrible medication.”

Bobby · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

“Worked very well. But I had to discontinue due to serious depression . I never seen anything like this. I saw a study 2018 that confirms this./ TRUE OF ALL PROTON PUMP INHIBITORS”

Bee August 9, 2020

“Started taking pantoprazole 10 days ago. Dizzy spells, drowsy and not sure if it helps with acid. Will wait another few days”

Olga February 28, 2021

“Don’t take this medicine. During a taking I experienced terrible abdominal pain, all my muscles, back and neck. Also I had a strong headache, weakness”

Joe March 13, 2021

“Horrible experience over a month later I have spinning, dizziness, fatigue it did the job or is still doing the job and I'm still sick Don't recommend”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2021

“Reading all these comments. I had taken three days and quit. Too many side effects for me. Stick to my Tums”

Learn more about Gastritis/Duodenitis