User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough

Hyperhidrosis
5.5

Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 7.9 1,023 reviews

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Pain: "I took Amitriptyline 10mg for the pain and after 3 days I was completely on edge but also I was in a dark hole that I felt I could never climb out of. I realised that all the anxiety and emotional pain I had those 3 days it was just the amitriptyline, it was not me. I stopped immediately and I was myself again in a couple of days. (The next day I was mainly shaking, completely terrified of what could have happened) I just hope doctors and scientists started taking this seriously and run some tests before prescribing it."

O D February 22, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Been on this medication 12.5mg (half tablet) at night for about 50 days. I was getting headaches every 4 out of 5 days, taking neurofen and panadol in high doses each day. I still get headaches, but not nearly as often or as painful. It does make you drowsy the next day, but not as bad as other migraine medications do. I will continue taking it. I stick to my prescribed dose, even though the docs said I could increase it."

Daren M February 17, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Suffered headaches that transformed into hemiplegic / complex/ horrific migraines, that didn't allow me to function AT ALL. Lost my career, my social life, this went on for 10 years. Finally was prescribed elavil..25 mg and it has all but eliminated migraines, it helps insomnia, and arthritis pain. I've been on it for over a year now. Yesterday I felt a migraine breaking thru...it did ..this is about the 3rd in a year that has me not functioning, needing to lie and rest, but, given how I was...my life is 98% improved."

Guitaress February 16, 2018

For Pain: "I have been on Amitriptlyn for 27 years. My dose has varied. I have been on as much as 50mg and as little as 10 mg. I had a ruptured disk and a bulging disk and both were operated on . Still had a damaged sciatic nerve. Started with 20mg and for a variety of reason went as high as 50. One doctor wanted me to reduce it to 10mg as he felt that is why I gained so much weight. Occasionally I take some 25 mg I have when pain is super bad. Usually just for a couple of days till take effect then reduce it again. I have learned to take it earlier in the evening so I don't sleep so late. I can not give it up as it is the only thing that lets me sleep without pain."

Phoenix Risings February 10, 2018

For Pain: "I currently suffer from detraction of the spine, wear & tear of hip, depression, anxiety, attacks and moods swings. I take 2ml diazepam at night this usually gets me through the night. It only has couple of downfalls first few days you're slightly groggy next day and can make me tearfully for silly things. It did increase my appetite but I do watch my weight. I never thought I'd use amitriptyline but these tablets have help me through a few bad places in my life. I'm now due to get married in April. I happy, content and stable and off course I have a good dr.who works along side me.xx"

Tyson boi February 7, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis: "Lost my job on it ,could not wake up and go to work. Don't know about it helping IC, stopped taking after I lost my job"

Amitriptyline sux February 5, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "My husband was prescribed this medication for headaches on 12/11/17. He is 79 years old. For one week he took 25mg. The second week he took 50mg. The third week he was up to 75mg. That was when he suddenly could not stand or walk. During the next couple weeks he lost control of his hands and lost the ability to control any movements. He had multiple falls and was hallucinating. Off the drug for a week and slowly getting back to normal. Do not take this medication."

Prescribed for headaches. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had IBS-D since I was a child but it had become so severe that it was ruining my life. After 6 months of abdominal cramps and diarrhea so severe that I could barely leave the house, I started taking 25 mg of Elavil every night. The effect was nothing short of amazing. Except for occasional dry mouth, I am now fully restored to health."

Marshamellow February 3, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "This drug did nothing to improve my migraines and trying to come off it has made them MUCH worse. Google “coming off Amitriptiline”. This is a TREMENDOUSLY addictive drug with horrible long term side effects, sometimes lasting YEARS after discontinuing it."

Thisdrugsucks January 30, 2018

For Insomnia: "I don't think there will ever be a "natural" any replacement... This is the only thing I can take to help me sleep. I need to be sharp at work. I work out every morning and practice every weekend. I'm late 30s but I still have to take amytriptiline. I'm back at 25mg (from 100-50mg) over the years. But I don't think I could ever had a city job and decent sleep without this..."

rjhacker (taken for 10 years or more) January 30, 2018

For Depression: "Since being on this for nerve pain I have not had to go on my anti depressants and my mood has evened out too.not sure but I definitely think it works for me."

Cheekygirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 29, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "b've Been on Elavil for the past 10 years ,it was a life changer for me, 25 mg a day I take it at breakfast in the morning, migraines are now a thing of the passed. I still get the occasional headache but with a few over the counter pills 30 mins later its all gone ."

Fab63 January 29, 2018

For Pain: "This stuff really works for pain. It worked for me the first time I took it. Such relief. I only take 10mg each night at bedtime I have gained some weight but I rather weigh a little extra than be in pain all the time This also helps me sleep."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2018

For Pain: "Only been on this drug for a week for fibromyalgia, not entirely sure that it is having much impact it still may be early days. Feeling quite detached from the pain though and also sleeping like a log which is the first time in a long time."

Hlijhm January 26, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Reduces the severity of migraines but not the frequency. I still get them but they are very mild. No more severe migraines. This has been life changing."

anon290434 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2018

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been taking Amitriptyline for 16 years with no side effects. I take 50 mgs in the evening and have had virtually no pain with only very few flare ups."

SJS7 January 22, 2018

For Depression: "Was prescribed for bipolar depression. At first it helped with insomnia (& relieved constipation!) which was a godsend, but faded faded after a few weeks. After 1 month I had crippling fatigue & it seriously jacked my heart rate up, so lowered from 75 to 50mg. Spent another month developing akathisia before finally ditching it. I’m sure it’s great for some, but my body hated it. Not to mention it did squat for my mood."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After enduring chronic, excruciating abdominal pain for months (and taking virtually every test known to man - including, but not limited to, a colonoscopy, endoscopy and MRI scans), my GI diagnosed IBS-D (nervous mind = nervous stomach) and prescribed Amitriptyline. Within 4-5 days the constant, unrelenting pain, bloating, discomfort, and diarrhea significantly subsided. The relief brought me to tears. (The only negative reactions included dry mouth, some weight gain, mild constipation, dizziness, and middle of the night panic attacks - however, I'm not sure if those midnight attacks were related to the medication in any way)."

lifechanger11 January 19, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Amitriptyline did not help at all with my abdominal pain and bloating after taking it for several weeks."

Hck4637 January 18, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Like many others here I suffered IBS symptoms for years and tried many types of natural therapies and diets with minimal success. It got bad last year - severe gut pain, cramping, gas, dizziness & more. Gastro specialist recommended this treatment following tests. Started on 5mg morning & night and felt flat. Switched to 10mg at night and no more symptoms!! I had my first Xmas of indulging and put on weight. Still have some bloating. Can enjoy a daily coffee & a little choc "

Nixstar23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was on amitriptyline for 18 years what a god send. I wish I was still on them but my dr took me of them and put me on sertraline"

keith1952 January 9, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Having regular chronic migraine vertigo for over 18 months the and have regular BOTOX every 12 weeks however the last 3 weeks I have had a constant headache and migraine everyday 24 hours a day having to take pain meds constantly I went to my gp who advised to take amitriptyline 10mg at night I take this at 5pm and have had hardly any side effect migraine and headache was reduced by 50% by day 5 continued at 10mg but still didn't stop my head ache completely. After 10 days I increased my dose to 20mg taking this at about 5pm and wow my headache are nearly gone slight pains but don't need to take any pains meds I really believe this drug is working so give it a go"

Twin g (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I was diagnosed with IC after suffering with bladder pain and burning sensation frequent need to urinate sore kidneys for 5 years and pain like I had a urine infection suffered panic attacks due to the pain I was given this medication and it’s saved my life I have my life back now. First night I took it I was pain free the next morning I felt groggy I couldn’t open my eyes they felt heavy and I felt disoriented but it wore off after a few hours but I was ok the following morning . I have forgotten to take this medication and I have pain and burning and feeling like I have a UTI."

Vonny 47 January 6, 2018

For Vulvodynia: "Was on both oral tablets and cream at two different times: Once separate and once together. They did not decrease my pain in either case, and instead caused a slew of side effects. I didn't realize how many until I was off it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had stomach issues my whole entire life. Severe cramps, gas and diarrhea. When I was 19 I had a colonoscopy to rule out any more serious conditions. I was officially diagnosed with IBS-D. My gastroenterologist prescribed me amitriptyline. My life was forever changed. After a week I was having more solid bowel movements, less pain and felt as close to normal as I have ever felt. I went into my colonoscopy at 118 pounds feeling sick all the time. I couldn’t gain weight. I was about 5ft 10 inches tall so I looked super skinny. Today I weigh 170, I owe it all to amitriptyline, and, well, all that beer and pizza I ate in college... anyways this drug changed my life. This is the help you need if you suffer from ibs-d. Period"

mr patrick the ibs dude January 5, 2018