User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Amitriptyline has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 1,615 ratings on Drugs.com. 68% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 17% reported a negative experience.

Migraine Prevention  Off-label
10.0
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 7.5 1,615 reviews

Reviews for Amitriptyline

TOFLA · December 1, 2019

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: “This drug has been so helpful, I suffered for panic attack, social phobia and anxiety for over 15 years, I started amitriptyline 7 weeks ago and my life has since changed, I can express myself in public, no more panic attack nor anxiety. I really thank my GOD and appreciate this platform which is so encouraging. I should also say that I got inspired from other people who were sharing their experiences on this platform. I'll definitely rate this drug 10/10. No side effects. I an so thankful”

Hsgwgus · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 5, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “amitriptyline changed my life. Been on many AD all SSRIS made me feel awful, couldn't think properly, numb. With amitriptyline I've had none of that, can think clearly. SSRIs helped me not have such obsessive thoughts, haven't found that with amitriptyline so I have to work in therapy to help my thoughts but means my brain isn't mush like on SSRIs. I have issues around attachment, some BPD traits, when starting amitriptyline I was the worst ever. Everyday was consumed with uncontrollable fear of abandonment, I was in a state of constant panic. 4/5 months in my life is totally different. Rarely feel panic or anxiety, emotions are more regulated, I'm happy. Amitriptyline wasn't recommended to me. I had to do the research + then ask my doctor. - : heart rate, sometimes weird eye twitch. Hope this helps someone out there, it will get better. Really sucks but we deserve a fulfilling life + suffering means we understand + can advocate for others with mental illness”

JEB 38M · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 20, 2020

For Depression: “6 WEEKS Give this medicine a chance, I did not see any results week 1, week 2, week 3, week 4, then began to notice the fog lift week 5. I had tried paxil ,cymbalta,effexor,wellbutrin,celexa,citalopram,escitalopram,buspirone,trintellix,viibryd (worked for 1month),abilify (worked for 1 month). Some are duplicates (generic). Even tried suboxone it worked for almost 1 year. Amitryptyline sedating effects don't exactly wear off. They completely go away and its almost like the sedative effects slowly transform into energy and wellbeing which I think is good because while its sedating it allows your body to rest and repair itself while catching up on sleep. Don't hold me to this and it might just be an aberrant few good days. I will follow up with some more info in a few weeks. Please pray for me if you are reading this as I pray you and anyone who is struggling with that hopelessness that we all know too well.”

Mgad · Taken for less than 1 month · May 31, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I just want to let you know on the beginning of taking Amitriptyline was so hard, I had severe anxiety non stop, after completing 3 weeks all negative symptoms has disappeared. I’m grateful for have this medication, I have tried all other Antidepressants in the market non of them helped. Be patient and all wonders will happen. I wish you all a speed recovery. Love you All”

Golden girl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · January 3, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I started Amitriptyline (Endep) for IBS-D that was mainly triggered by anxiety but sometimes food also. After trialing SSRI’s and having no luck, I did some online research and noticed the older anti depressants helped regulate gut mobility. I asked my doctor if I could trial them so I did. At first I noticed the deep sleep but also the lack of that “spaced out” feeling you get with the newer antidepressants, I actually just felt like myself. After about 3 months on 20mg, I slowly week by week increased the dose to 50mg and that was my perfect fit, no more anxiety attacks or running to the bathroom due to fight or flight cortisol throwing my gut into spasms. I’m able to go out, have fun and not worry about IBS at all. If you are suffering from IBS that stems from or has led to anxiety, give this drug a try and don’t be scared to increase the dose till you find the perfect fit for yourself, you’ll get your life back!! Good luck!!”

MJ234 · Taken for 5 to 10 years · May 25, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have been on and off amyitriptyline for the past 10 years. I have now resolved to stay on it long term. Quite simply because it works, I take 25mg a day at night before bed and it has very good results for reducing and almost eliminating health anxiety, negative thought patterns and symptoms of depression. Having been off it for a good few years and finding myself coping pretty well, 2020 and the pandemic/lockdown struck hard and I hadn't realised how bad my mood and anxiety had become until last month when I practically broke down with the stress of it all. To anybody else experiencing similar issues, take care and have hope! These drugs work, give them time. For me these took about 3 weeks to make even a slight improvement. Now nearly 6 weeks in I'm pretty much back to my old self!”

katie123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 7, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “So I've struggled with severe anxiety and depression for the majority of my teens/young adult years. During my first year of university however, I experienced severe anxiety to a point where I spent all of my time in my bedroom, even going to the coffee shop next to my house was too hard. I decided to go to my doctor and then she prescribed me fluoxetine (prozac) 20 mg. I experienced minor relief in my anxiety and extreme depression and suicidal thoughts. I was on that medication for 3 months when I finally decided to stop. My doctor switched me to amitriptyline and during the first week or two I felt no benefits and was constantly groggy. Then, during the first week, I started feeling not only huge relief in my anxiety but I no longer felt depressed!! I am able to live my life, go out with friends, spend time with family, do well at work and SO MUCH MORE. Best medication hands down. Give it a couple weeks, you won't regret it.”

Babsy · February 23, 2018

For Depression: “I normally don't write reviews and it's been over 3 years since I had a depressive episode, but I wanted to post something to let people know that there is always hope. I had a major depressive episode and couldn't sleep. I tried SSRIs and other antidepressants that either didn't work or caused side effects too great to tolerate. I was prescribed amitriptyline and I went back to my old self. I did have side effects such as weight gain and increased heart rate but these calmed down after a few months so worth waiting it out. My sleep returned first and it was restful and refreshing. Then my mood improved along with the anxiety. I was at desperation point by the time I went onto amitriptyline and I remember googling forums like this to help me maintain hope. The sad thing about depression is that it takes away the hope that you'll ever get better or lead a "normal" life again. I wanted to post this because I did get better, I returned to work and I resumed my life as it was before.”

Sleeping again · January 24, 2014

For Insomnia: “I was just put on 50 mg of amitriptyline for extreme insomnia, anxiety, and depression. I have suffered from insomnia my entire life and my job is very stressful as a nurse working rotating shift at a hospital. I would stay up for 3 days at a time while working crazy 12 hour back to back shifts. I was at my wit's end, so exhausted, delirious, and beyond stressed. I have tried so many different medicines to help with sleep and anxiety. None have even come anywhere as close as Amitriptyline has, to giving me good sleep. I had lost hope that I would ever be able to sleep good again. Amitriptyline has SAVED me. I can fall asleep easily, I don't wake up every hour, and I sleep like a BABY! I can now function at work again. This medicine saved me.”

Candace · June 3, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Easter Sunday 2020 I woke up with a headache that lasted a month. I finally had an over the phone appointment with my doctor who said they were tension headaches. She prescribed these amitript to prevent them. I had no idea that they were also used for anxiety or depression. I have had both for years but refused to treat them as all of the SSRI’s I’ve tried made me feel terrible. I was nervous to try this for that exact reason but I was desperate for headache relief. The first couple days I felt a little out of it but that went away. Until one day I was outside throwing a ball around with my daughter and realized that I was actually enjoying my life for once in a long time. I sleep so well on these (even though that’s never really been an issue for me) and I just feel like I can enjoy things again instead of just waiting for activities to be over with. I’m really happy I ended up on this medication! I should mention my headaches have disappeared as well! Give it a try!”

Jimbo · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 13, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I’ve been on this amitriptyline for about 6 months - @ a dose of 25mg (anxiety and stress). Ever since starting it my heart rate has gone up to tachycardic levels and also my bp is up. So now I’m on bp meds, and may have to take a beta blocker for my heart rate! Has anyone else had these symptoms?”

NikiMik · Taken for less than 1 month · December 24, 2019

For Depression: “I had the darkest 5+ years of my life and was certain that nothing could help me get out of the black hole in which I lived. Because I was also having problems with insomnia my doctor added 15 mg of this medicine amitriptyline. It has saved my life. I don’t know how to say that loud enough and with enough emphasis and drama because, just 12 days ago, quite honestly death was looking like a better option than living the tiny dark life that I was existing within. My only fear is that this will be short lived. Overall I’m sleeping so much better, I’m thinking better, I’m not anxious or paranoid about the plethora of things I am accustomed to being anxious about. I literally was able to accomplish so much today — and I was focused, made decisions without fear, was on-time, didn’t have to make excuses, and was light hearted and I guess “normal”.”

Thomas · Taken for 1 to 2 years · December 23, 2019

For Insomnia: “Been on 25mg Amitriptyline for about a year now for chronic insomnia as my doctor did not want me dependent on the "z drugs" or benzos. The Amitriptyline works well but the issue I have is when I try to give it up to see if I can sleep naturally without it I simply can't not matter how relaxed I feel. So after a couple of nights of no sleep at all I end up going back to taking the Amitriptyline. I hate being reliant on a drug to sleep but I guess it's better than not sleeping.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month · July 13, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “I don’t recommend this drug to anyone! I’ve been on it for almost 3 weeks now and I feel more anxious and easily irritated/aggressive towards others 24-7! I have had severe heart palpitations and anxiety, hot flashes, chest tightness, dizziness and fatigue. I’m 35 years old and this medication is horrible!”

Happy Tummy · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 27, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I still have yet to receive a solid diagnosis on why I am nauseated 24/7 but in the meantime amitriptyline has been a miracle drug. I know a few people who have also used it and experienced significant side effects, however, on 10mg I haven't noticed a single side effect. I went from puking daily, visiting the hospital every other week to eating literally anything I wanted. I have tried tecta, PPI's, probiotics, elimination diets, everything you can imagine. I can even drink coffee in the morning now!!! Literally changed my life, overnight. I now can work, without worrying about sick days. Please, please, take a chance with this. If it works for you, it's a miracle drug.”

Dubbs · Taken for less than 1 month · February 15, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I was prescribed 20 mg amitriptyline for sleep stress and anxiety and within two days of taking it I found I sleep deeply wake happy and have not got the anxiety I had before. I still have a few seconds of what if thinking but then it passes. I have ehlers danlos and fibro and M. E and this is the best drug I've tried.”

Ffxx · May 9, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “My doctor prescribed me amitriptyline due to severe stress, physical unexplained symptoms very similar to auto immune diseases such as lupus and reynaud’s syndrome but with negative ANA and no R factor they written these off. I have joint inflammation but they don’t think is arthritis and I have all sort of strange pain coming and going in different parts of the body. Severe night sweats and insomnia. Amitriptyline has really helped me. I started on 10mg for a week, first week I was a bit drowsy in the morning but I still tend to go to sleep and take it quite late. I bumped up to 25mg and I am so much better. No painful emotions and moods swings, no anxiety, I can concentrate more at work and I feel I am achieving more than usual. I sleep well even if I still tend to go to sleep late, no more night sweats! My physical symptoms are better too. I was on Xanax before which had some terrible side effects and increased my anxiety and didn’t help me with sleep.”

feelgoodgal · Taken for less than 1 month · September 5, 2013

For Pain: “I have been on Amitriptyline for only 5 days for chronic low back and leg pain that has plagued me for years, to the point of sleep and work related disruptions. I've popped a zillion pain killers and anti-inflammatories. Now taking only 10 mg of this medicine at night, no other medicines, and I feel better than I have in years, am virtually pain free and feel very energetic. I'd say it's a miracle. I wish it had been prescribed years ago.”

JJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · August 26, 2020

Endep (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: “My doctor suggested I take Endep 25mg after being diagnosed with Crohn’s. I had been very sick for months and not coping very well. The first week of taking it I was rather spaced out but that was all. My day 7 my nausea was 80% gone, I was sleeping like a baby at night and I was dealing with the stress in my life a lot better. I have been on it for 7 months now and I don’t think I would have gotten through this year without it. The old me would have been having panic attacks and catastrophic thinking over the bush fires and Covid but thanks to Endep I have been able to stay calm and reasonable. I haven’t experienced any negative side effects at all. I guess if anything I can’t get up in the night to my kids bc I’m so deeply asleep but that ok because it just means dad has to get up. Haha”

Dawn4373 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 19, 2017

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: “It got rid of mine! Tried many meds over the years with various side effects. This is the only one that got rid of my anxiety and depression and gave me no side effects. Not to mention I sleep better on it. I was out of it the first few days until I got used to it and now I can't even tell I am taking something except that I have no anxiety, panic attacks or depression anymore. It was a game changer for me. I feel like a new, normal person again. I highly recommend trying it.”

Kcouston90 · Taken for 5 to 10 years · January 7, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I’m on 150mg amitriptyline a night. Never had an issue. Take them at 7pm go to bed 9/10 don’t wake up groggy and still drive to work the next day. Taking them one night and expecting some amazing cure is a complete joke. Every drug takes time to work.”

Dawks · February 26, 2017

For Pain: “Scared to death of taking it but broke tabs in half to 5mg in order to increase dose slowly. I have developed a bit of chronic tooth pain so taking it for pain. Took it at 7 pm and felt mildly sedated by 11pm. Actually didn't sleep well but I think I was on high alert for the side effects which didn't happen. A bit groggy in morning but nothing special that I can't deal with. I think the way to go is to build up if you are scared of meds like me. I wrote this to encourage others to try the medicine because I am as scared as anyone to take drugs like this. I”

The 1 & Only · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · January 26, 2020

For Insomnia: “Amitriptyline has been like heaven sent for me, I was just never able to sleep, I could stay awake literally almost 72 hours I’d be tired but out of nowhere this burst of energy came and I knew it was gonna be another sleepless night so I told my doctor about my racing thoughts and how I just needed them get up or could not sleep an entire night, so she prescribed this wonderful medicine and I literally sleep 8 hours uninterrupted and I don’t wake up in the middle of the night and you’re still coherent it’s not habit forming that’s what I love most ❣️”

Tara · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 2, 2020

For Depression: “Never shared before but wanted to give the hope that others have given to me, you can feel better , for me finding out as much as i can about the illness, counselling, diet and exercise and finding the anti depressant which works for you, In my case this is amytriptyline. Having suffered from depression on an unmanageable level without medication for the past 14 years , I have been tried on several SSRI, SNRIs and mirtazipine resulting in my loosing hope of feeling like my old self again. As a last resort the doctor agreed to try amytriptyline and within days of starting on a low dose of 10mg I seen some improvement, 2 months on I take 15mg before bed and am living a more content and peaceful life in body and mind. Don't give up.”

Anx no more · Taken for 1 to 2 years · October 24, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: “I suffered with anxiety for years and have tried many many SSRIs as well as benzos. Nothing really helped. I was put on this med for migraines and within a couple of weeks my anxiety began to melt away. My friends and family noticed a huge difference. I feel like a different person. Like I am living the life I always wanted to live, I was just always too afraid and anxious to before.”