User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Hyperhidrosis
5.5

Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 7.7 1,120 reviews

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Endep (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "I started taking Endep 10 for insomnia from menopause, this was too weak and no effect so after a week my Doctor upped to Endep 25. This works really well for me and most nights I sleep far more soundly and if I wake up fall back to sleep pretty quickly. Some days I wake up a little bit lethargic and slow to get out of bed but once I'm up I am my usual motivated self. This has worked well for me and I feel heaps better than when I was taking sleeping pills."

Nickers (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2018

For Insomnia: "My doctor does not believe in sleep medications, so I have tried 5 off-label drugs over the last six months. Elavil 25 was the last. It made me drowsy at night, but not enough to put me to sleep. Worse, I'd be drowsy hours after I got out of bed, making it increasingly harder to fall asleep at night. Driving and working before 1p.m. was out of the question. At the end of two weeks, I'm not only sleep deprived, but my hours are all turned around."

sashamanda (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "First went on Endep after a break up, 10mg is very small but I was on it for 2 years and it was a god send, had some amazing sleeps, tried to get off and only managed to stay off for 1-2 weeks. More recently I've been off for about a month and I'm struggling, guess who is reaching for the pill tonight, lord knows I've tried to stay off but I need to sleep, for me there was little to no side effects on a small dose of 10mg but I did get irregular heart beats when I went up to 25mg, it's a drug that has worked 95% of the time,"

Jim October 11, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Just started 10mg for Migraine/Anxiety (kinda like the chicken and egg; I don't know what comes first :-/ ) day two and I feel a little sluggish the morning after into mid day, maybe feel a little flat lined emotionally (but could be the anxiety) and they certainly do give you a good nights sleep. I've recently came off Pizotifen so quite used to the above as these gave similar side effects when first started. I trust as my body adjusts I'll return to some type of normal. So initial side effects 8 out of 10... actually not too bad, results: I'll return in a few week to update :-)"

Malc (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I have suffered migraines for many years. Having a started menopause, I was given 25 mg of amitriptyline to help with sleep at night. My neurologist also gave me Migravent (Natrual product supplement), which I have taken twice per day for three years. My migraines were substantially reduced. I would go an entire month without a migraine. I however was hospitalized twice in three years due to increased liver enzymes in the thousands. Very painful resembles what you would imagine a heart attack would be. Therefore I eliminated one half of my dosage of migravent. And in hoping that I could eliminate some of the prescription drugs in my life, stop taking the 25 mg of amitriptyline 3 weeks ago. In that time I have suffered five migraines. I have had to treat with Fioricet. Sometimes twice, still not believing the headaches for several days. I truly believe that the 25 mg tablet of amitriptyline is the key. I hope this helps."

Sherri (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2018

For Depression: "I switched to this from clomipramine because I was having terrible side effects, unfortunately the amitriptyline is WORSE. My doctor tried taking me up to 150mg in hopes that it would break my depression, instead I've developed the worst acid reflux I could have imagined. At one point my entire throat was spasming all day. I can't get the rest I desperately need and it's making eating difficult and I'm already underweight. I've tried medications to get rid of it, but nothing is working, just making my stomach feel worse. I just pray that the reflux stops when I get off of it as it's driving me completely insane! I'm down to 50mg and go to 25mg tomorrow. I can't wait to get off this drug. It's literally not helped me at all, just made things worse than ever."

Cera (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2018

For Pain: "Wow! I’d been taking 25 mg for sleep for 10 yrs. I stopped taking it because it suddenly made me feel so weak and tired I could barely move. I have been experiencing debilitating overall pain, burning, stiffness upon awakening. Unable to do anything. My doctor prescribed hydrocortisone and while it helped my mood and able to tolerate the pain better it didn’t do much for it. Researching online for causes based upon symptoms none fit well enough to be convincing I had it, not fibromycalgia, arthritis, muscle spasms. I have carpal tunnel both hands and take gaberpentin for it, which helps. Then I looked up amitriptyline and pain. No wonder upon complaining my doctor and nurse both said, so you stopped taking it? But why didn’t either of them ever tell me this antidepressant is also good for pain? Although it was 11:00 am I took one. I may not be able to do much all day but at least not because of debilitating pain! They must have assumed I knew."

Plumaria (taken for 10 years or more) September 15, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It didn't have side effects for me which is extremely extremely rare for me. However it didn't work for my stomach issues at all."

Leeeacheea (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Amitriptyline is my miracle medicine. After trying so many migraine prevention medicines and other miscellaneous things (ear piercings, stretches, pressure point therapy, etc.) with little to no effect, I was beyond frustrated. With this medication 90% of all my tension headaches and migraines are gone. When I had to stop taking it for 3 months, they came back. Once I started amitriptyline again, within day they were basically gone. It has changed my life in a tremendously positive way!"

BA (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 8, 2018

Elavil (amitriptyline) for : "My experience with elavi 10 mg is that my chronic cough I've had for 40 years has almost gone."

shawn zandi (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2018

For Pain: "I have trigeminal neuralgia. I started taking this in February it works wonders for sleep! I work overnight shift so sleeping during the day can be a challenge. This drug takes away the burning in my face. There’s still pain but the fire is gone. I sleep great however I’ve gained about 25 pounds. I’ve never been this big in my life. I crave ice cream and donuts. Severe cravings that I cannot get myself out of. It’s like I just don’t care. Severe dry mouth and decreased sex drive. I still want sex just not as much. But the main thing is the weight gain. My doc doesn’t think it’s this pill causing it but I know it is. I’ve always been a big girl so I can’t afford anymore weight gain. If you can handle some weight gain then this pill is good for you. Unfortunately it’s screwing up my health. I’m going to miss sleeping"

Blu September 3, 2018

For Insomnia: "I have been on amitriptyline for 10 years. Initially for depression, later on for sleeping, as could not sleep without it. Recently it started to play up a bit. I have been taking 25mg on every other night. One night it did not work, tried 50mg still no response. On a odd occassion I tried breaking in half and took 12.5 mg, I noticed sleeping was better. Is it possible that my body is rejecting the higher dose and accepting lower dose for sleeping. My GP could not answer that. He thinks higher doses should be more responsive."

akamal12 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 2, 2018

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed 25mg to help me sleep. Took 1 before bed and it was the worst drug I've ever taken. I was in a state where I was sleepy but just couldn't sleep. I was in wired zombie like state. The next morning I felt terrible. This one did not work for me."

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2018

For Insomnia: "Hadn't really slept for 7 yrs prior to being prescribed this med...originally took 50mg but within a month that went up to 100mg and have stayed on that dose for 7ish yrs with super results. In the very beginning I was sluggish in the morning but that quickly went away. I see the fact that it is also an antidepressant as just a bonus. I highly recommend you try this med but give your body a few months to settle before you decide if it is right for you. I can easily sleep for 9 hrs a night and if I do happen to wake in the middle I fall right back to sleep...sweet dreams!!"

Nanatude (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2018

For Insomnia: "I have sleep apnea and suffer from night terrors and now that I am taking this when I awake I fall back to sleep. No more night panic attacks or hallucinations. I still wake up constantly mostly due to being sore and stiff but I fall back asleep more readily also I stress out less and worry less and over all a happier person. I take 50mg to 100mg a day at bedtime"

kcladyz August 28, 2018

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Interstitial Cystitis: "I have had symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis for a couple of years. Started on 25mg of Elavil in the early evening. In ONE day the symptoms were mostly gone. It's the only treatment that has really worked for me. After taking 25mg per day for a couple of weeks I started cutting back on the dose and have finally settled on 5mg per night. It's enough to cut most of the symptoms. I still have to watch what I eat and do pelvic stretches."

Phoenix (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2018

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "After years of testing and misdiagnosis, it was finally discovered that I have cyclic vomiting syndrome. My doctor was not well versed in the condition and was reluctant to try any treatment and just said "There's nothing you can do about it." I did my own research and after I again conveyed how traumatic a CVS episode was, he agreed to try prescribing me Amitriptyline in a low dose. I've been symptom free ever since! I had lost all hope and words can't express what a relief it was to not be nauseated constantly. Only bad side effect was it makes me extremely tired, especially in the mornings (I take it at bedtime). It also sometimes made me feel "blah" personality wise, like I was kind of sedated. Minor problem was it gave me dry mouth in the beginning."

Ben35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2018

For Pain: "Was put on 20mg daily for chronic fatigue syndrome /fibromyalgia that I had suffered with for 15 years. I didn't believe it would work but 3 days later I felt unbelievably better. No side effects and 13 years later 10mg daily keeps my symptoms away. It was a life giving medication for me and no obvious side effects."

Sue (taken for 10 years or more) August 25, 2018

For Insomnia: "Amitriptyline is a good for insomnia but you have to know it how to use it, which means when you start with low dose like 10mg then if you manage to sleep take it for 10-15 days then start to minimise the dose . If you don't sleep with 10mg, try with 25mg if not 25mg then try 50mg . Then after 15 -20days later start to reduce the dose. So if you were taking 50mg start taking 35mg and check your sleep condition, what I mean if you feel terror or restless legs or something then back to take 50mg but if you just sleep 5-6hrs that is fine, you don't need to sleep like before because you are on withdrawal ,then from 35mg reduce to 30mg wait 3 or 4 days same dose then take 25mg 3 or 4 days then 15mg 3 or 4 days then 10mg 3 or 4 days then 5mg 3 or 4 days still check your physical condition symptoms like restless leg, terror, sweating it will happen during withdrawal that is fine. It is just we didn't have enough rest and sleep."

alex August 23, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Great preventer for aura migraine. Daily dose 12.50 mgms"

Jacob August 23, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've had IBS for years, but it was just in the last couple of years that it really started taking its toll on my life. I couldn't leave my house for fear of an attack without access to a bathroom. Then, the normal lower abdominal cramping changed to excruciating upper abdominal pain. The pain would get so severe at times, it triggered a vasovagal response, causing me to pour sweat, have insanely loud ringing in my head, and nearly faint. My whole body felt so strange and weak. I don't know how IBS can cause such horrible pain, or how an antidepressant can stop it, but it does, and it has. Amitriptyline has changed how I spend my days. No more brutal pain and minimal episodes of diarrhea. I hope I never have to stop taking it. Honestly, if I have to go back to dealing with that pain again on even a semi-regular basis, it would be too much. So, I guess, in a sense, amitriptyline has saved my life."

IBSqueen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis: "Until I was on this I was in so much discomfit. I felt like an elephant was treading in my bladder, felt like I needed to wee all the time. I had pressure in my vagina plus other symptoms . Then within a week of taking this I felt so much better been on it 3 yrs now. I still have the odd day of discomfit but this drug is brilliant. If you have IC please do try this."

Cookie August 19, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I have been suffering with cystitis for almost a year. I had bladder instillations and they seemed to give me more pain.They irritated my bladder. Recently went to the ER thinking I had a blazing UTI infection. It was the cystitis acting up again. The pain was just unbearable. I really want to do some natural herbs to treat this. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to research or try anything yet because I have been busy with kids and a new job. ANY natural herb suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Anyways, the ER doc gave me 25mg of Elavil to take at bedtime. This is my first week on it and it does seem miraculous. I slept peacefully and woke up with no pain. Normally, I wake up in horrendous pain. I have been taking Prelief and pyridium, but recently that just doesn't take the pain away. I am so thankful there is something out there that works! Post on any suggestions on natural supplements would be so appreciated."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "There is a cost to using this medication, to say the least! It reduced my migraines from 5-6 days a week to 3-4 days a week. At first, they were less intense. After a couple months, the intensity returned. I was still experiencing more than 16 migraine days a month with 1-2 debilitating (laying in a dark room unable to function) a week. But all that is minor compared to the side effects I experienced. I had severe mood issues! I have never in my life been diagnosed with depression until I used amitriptyline. After 8 weeks I was experiencing really dark thoughts, emotional outbursts, unjustified anger (genuinely angry for no reason), and severe major depression (diagnosed by my prescribing doctor). I immediately began to wean off the amitriptyline."

Marie D. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2018

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "The worst pill I've ever taken for insomnia. I got prescribed Elavil 25mg to take before bed. I took the first tab and it made me very sleepy and dizzy, but I could not fall asleep. I was in a state between sleep and awake. Very dry mouth, very restless and the second morning I felt that I could not move. It also caused me headaches. Will be throwing the rest in the garbage. Terrible drug."

SAm (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...