User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Pudendal Neuralgia
5.4

Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 7.6 1,174 reviews

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Pain: "I suffer from vestibular migraines. After a hospital referral my consultant prescribed me 10mg Amytriptyline. I took it a few hours before bedtime, as recommended. One hour after taking it I became restless, irritable. It took me a few hours to settle before I finally fell into a deep sleep. The next morning I felt groggy, hungover, light headed and generally yuck. Being a slight build (petite) and being very sensitive to any medication! I knew 10mg was too much for me. So the following night I halved the dose (bit one tablet into two). I personally feel this is more manageable to cope with as a starting point. Once my body is used to it I'll up the dose to a full tablet (10mg). I can't imagine many people being as sensitive as me but I highly recommend halving the dose to start with if you are. And yes, with amitriptyline I'm migraine free. Awful dry mouth but the benefits far outweighs a dry mouth!"

Niks (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2019

For Pain: "I started taking amitriptyline 10mg on 1st Jan 2019, initially I slept 12 hours a night had weird dreams and was groggy and a little dizzy, this passed though after a couple of months. I have now been on it 4 months and still sleeping well, it helps with pain and has helped with menopause and watery eyes too. Initially I put on about 8lbs but now I am losing it again as feel so much better and have lots of energy. My only regret is I didn’t start taking it 10 years ago. My advice persevere as you get used to it and it will help."

Yorkshirelass (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2019

For Depression: "Amitriptyline is the the best 10/10. I was very bad with morning depression felt like I was drowning. Then I found amitriptyline 25mg, I take two near night time. Now I am back to myself I’m telling you the best for morning depression that lasts all day and night. I get a good night sleep and don't feel high, but just normal again. I only found 1 side effect which is low libido, but I tell you well worth a try. 6 years on amitriptyline and still great"

B April 10, 2019

For Persistent Depressive Disorder: "I'd been dealing with depression despite already taking Wellbutrin and Seroquel. I also see a therapist regularly. I've tried many different antidepressants and have had various side effects that made me discontinue them - I am very sensitive to most medications. I suffer from fibromyalgia, IBS, interstitial cystitis, headaches, anxiety, and insomnia on top of the depression. So anyway I was hopeful that amitriptyline might help at least 1 or 2 of these problems, as well. It helped the insomnia, but it caused hypersomnia and I was sleeping WAY too much. It did nothing for the other conditions. I also noticed that I was getting edgy and irritable with my family and I'd cry at the drop of a hat. I began experiencing suicidal ideations and realized I needed to stop the medication and see if the amitriptyline was the cause. Within a day, I was already back to baseline. So, yet another medication I cannot take."

MissLeopard83 (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've had horrendous panic attacks, anxiety and depression, this Amitriptyline has stopped the panics within 2 weeks and the anxiety and depression is better. At least I'm functional now. I tried lots of SSRIs and they made me worse and made me gain lots of weight. Amitriptyline is the only antidepressant that ever helped me. I'll swear by it for the rest of my life. I am on a maintenance dose of 25mg per day and the difference is almost miraculous."

Lorenzo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2019

For Insomnia: "I take amitrip for my insomnia and I am awake just after an hour or two of sleep and can’t go back to sleep"

Astrupp March 27, 2019

For Pain: "I would say this tablet is multi purpose and very useful. I would suggest people who face side effects of this tablet to undergo a 4 month course in homeopathy from any good Homeopath. Then you will find this drug giving its best effects without much side effects and very flexible in usage."

Genny March 27, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been on amitriptyline for 5 months. I take 20mg at bedtime as prescribed by my neurologist for migraines I've been having for years. At first there was a big relief. Now I'm noticing migraines are still there as well with fast heart rate at times, anxiety, insomnia, brain fog (lost a contract opportunity), depression, and now I'm retaining fluid. My right ankle and foot has been swollen for a couple weeks. And I've gained 30lbs. I'm going to see a Dr tomorrow. I don't recommend this drug."

Cathy C (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2019

For Pain: "Horrible. Non stop shaking, lightheaded and dizzy. Sometimes it goes away and an hour later it comes back. I’ve had a terrible experience and even went to the ER. Keep in mind I only took it for 3 days."

Steven March 25, 2019

For Depression: "I suffered from headaches for 40 years until I started to get depression after some horrible life events. It did help with the headaches and does help with the depression, but I do have bad days which may last for 3-4 days. I take 125mg which I am told is a lot. I do get side effects. I have been on it for 12 years. I am going to ask if there is a better alternative."

Stephen (taken for 10 years or more) March 20, 2019

For Insomnia: "This drug keeps me awake all night and keeps me soooo groggy during the day. I have more pain now than before. Does not work for me at all."

Frustrated (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2019

For Pain: "WoW. This brought on really dark thoughts and serious nightmares that I can see clearly the next day. Pain relief and assisting me to sleep yes, but absolutely not for me. Anxiety and depression was increased."

Tommy (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2019

For Insomnia: "Have battled insomnia for at least 10 years on my own. I can usually fall asleep but can't stay asleep. Wake up at least 3x/night. I caved and went to doctor for a sleep aid. Since I also deal with fibromyalgia and am currently under a lot of stress, she prescribed 25 mg amitriptyline. Should have known it was a bad idea. I've failed with 5 antidepressants. Had super restless sleep until 3 a.m., waking every hour and hungry. Then slept so hard, I was late to a 9 a.m. appt. By noon, still so groggy that I shouldn't have been driving. I was also in a bad mood and depressed. Based on all of the positive reviews for this drug, I tried cutting a pill in half the next night (12.5 mg). Today, really pissy and depressed, can't get anything done. There's a warning in the literature: If amitriptyline makes you depressed or angry, stop it. I'm definitely stopping! I'll take insomnia and fibro pain any day of the week."

MDcrabster (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was prescribed amitript 10mg/day for anxiety. Previous SSRIs had left me with constant shakes and sleep deprived. Amitriptyline did help with was my neck pain and my sleep pattern returned to normal which was great. Unfortunately even at the lowest dose of 10mgs I was unable to function. I felt like a zombie and my coordination was shot to pieces and I was breathless doing the smallest of physical activities. I cut to 5mgs because the pain relief to my neck was such a boon, but the negative side effects were still to great to continue a normal life. Shaking, woolly headed, forgetful and still an underlying anxiety that erupted over the smallest of issues. Useless for my anxiety because of my sensitivity to the drug, but great for pain relief. I tried it for 4 weeks before being switched to a beta blocker."

Meemo (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2019

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "I started this drug as a migraine prevention treatment, beginning with 10 mg and moving up to 50. I also have fibromyalgia. This medication did not help me whatsoever with the migraines or the fibro. Thankfully, it does help with insomnia but I was really super disappointed that I didn't get any headache relief. It also makes me feel stupid because I'm constantly hungover and tired during the day."

smack (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2019

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "Amitriptyline has been a godsend for my insomnia. I get a really good sleep eight nights out of 10 with this medication. Started with 10 mg and moved up to 50 mg. It gives me a hangover during much of the next day and I always have to take a nap in the late afternoon but without it I can't sleep at all."

smack (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2019

For Depressive Psychosis: "I have bipolar disorder and currently taking 10mg Amitryptiline along side my mood stabiliser of 500mg Seroquel XR. I started this medicine when I was having a depressive episode and it has worked wonders for me. I have been on Sertraline, Venlafaxine, Fluoxetine, Escitalopram, and Mirtazapine. This is the only anti depressant that has worked for me."

Dimi8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2019

For Depression: "Good information. My daughter was started on Amitriptyline 25gm for depression treatment. On day 5 we tried increasing dose to 50mg which immediately induced train of unwanted thoughts with compulsive reactions-obsessive compulsive disorder(OCD). We dropped dose to 25mg but OCD persisted. We withdrew Amitriptyline on day 10 and started Prozac 10mg. OCD with unwanted thoughts improved immediately and stopped 3 days later. Concluding, amitryptyline improved depression but induced OCD."

Carlo (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2019

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Hyperthryoid, PTSD. Have been on benzos for years to control "panic disorder, unspecified" and while Xanax kept me functional, in PTSD therapy I realized an old incident might have caused my thyroid to go nuts and put me in the ER a lot. I didn't want to be "stuck" carrying Xanax for instant relief of unexplained panic attacks (I'm not in the least bit "anxious", or depressed, but have been prone to "panic" daily for years, and didn't know why). Everything else made me more anxious or put me in the ER (even with Xanax). When I was finally diagnosed PTSD, I begged for Elavil after researching, and immediately felt the difference. I don't know how it works, but Elavil's the ONLY one I've felt could take the place of Xanax. A little worried about "swapping dependencies," but this kind of "calm" seems worth it. I still have Xanax (and propanolol for high heart rate, which I had moments after swallowing Elavil), but am taking them "in taper mode"."

ThyroidGirl February 9, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "this has been a life saver so far for me! i am currently on 10mg and it has made such an improvement with my anxiety and sleep problems! i used to get terrible anxiety in class and other social situations which triggered terrible stomach aches, both of which have nearly gone because of this drug, i have severe anxiety so i know this drug won’t fully help the anxiety due to the fact that it is supposed to help mild anxiety but believe me it does do wonders!, i was very unsure about taking it at first (bc i was worried it wouldn’t do anything, that’s the anxiety speaking) but in order for it to help you must put your faith in it and it will help!"

yeetlol February 5, 2019

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Throughout my life, I've been prescribed so many different medications for my C-PTSD (Complex post traumatic stress disorder ) and every single thing I tried seemed to make things worse except Amitriptyline for C-PTSD. 31 years old and in ER for being suicidal when this awesome doctor tells me about amitriptyline. It took a few weeks to notice a difference, but once this stuff kicked in I noticed a massive difference in the way I felt. I got some actual SLEEP for the first time in as long as I could remember. My emotions levelled out, my brain fog cleared up, my ability to deal with everyday life situations improved, I mean it's just unbelievable. The med isn't without downsides. If for any reason you suddenly stop taking this and have to go without for a couple days you're going to be a horrendously awful person to deal with because of the withdrawal from this med causing an emotional rollercoaster of anger!!! It's pretty crazy. I don't ever want to be without this medication again. <3"

melmoldy (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I suffered with digestive issues for years and had just come to the conclusion that it was just something I'd have to live with. Countless docs and tests were run and everything under the sun came back negative. My issue was feeling extremely full a few bites into a meal. If I didn't stop eating I would immediately puke or would have really uncomfortable belches for the next hour until everything subsided. Diet didn't seem to matter or anything. My GI said let's give this a shot at 25mg. Within a day of being on the medicine I was able to enjoy eating again and eat until my stomach felt satisfied without the fear of blowing chunks. I've been on the medicine for 3 months and I've put on 12+ lbs (I'm currently 6' and 145lbs, imagine the the beanpole I was a 6' and 130lbs.). This pill actually changed my life because dinner with friends and work dinners are enjoyable for me where previously I had reached the point of just not eating in public."

tjb196 January 13, 2019

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I don't take amitriptyline on a regular basis, now that my IC is under control because of my diet. But if I have a bad day, I just take 5 mg. of amitriptyline before bed and it helps with my bladder."

Barb (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "Took 20mg at night as prescribed for 7 days. On the third day I had a pain in the top of my back. Like a stiffening. My heart was racing uncontrollably. I felt dizzy and sick. Doc put me on these to help me sleep but because my heart kept racing, every time I was ready to nod off my heart would wake me up. My anxiety only got worse with the lack of sleep and pounding heart so I stopped taking them. These pills made me feel like I was coming down off ecstasy."

Firey85 (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2019

For Insomnia: "This is probably the worst drug I have ever taken "

Bobnguru (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2019