User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Hyperhidrosis
5.5

Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 7.7 1,079 reviews

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Migraine Prevention: "Worked great for the first few months, then I started getting the migraines again so I increased the dose which worked for a few more months. Now it seems like the pills have stopped working, my migraines are just as bad as they were before I went on the meds. I don't know what to do now :( I really thought it was working"

anon8342342 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 5, 2018

For Pain: "Amitriptyline has given me my life back. After I pulled my inguinal hernia for the second time in the same place I was in pain down my left side thigh. groin, etc. After I got my hernia fixed the pain did not go and after many test and scans over a period of a year one consultant thought it might be neuropathy misfiring from the stress of the hernia and gave me this drug, after about 5 weeks of using it my pain was down by about 90%. I know this drug can take 3-4 weeks before you might see any difference. Also this drug does not seem to have any long-term side effects like NSAIDs"

cb (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have tried so many “as needed” drugs for anxiety and none of them helped. Benzos made my anxiety even worse. Amitriptyline does wonders for me. I can’t even believe it. I’ve been on it for 3 days and I have virtually NO anxiety. I was at a point where I was ready to end my life due to my crippling anxiety and depression. I never thought I’d ever say this, but I just feel NORMAL now. Only side effects I noticed is a slightly dry mouth and some weird twitching (almost like I’m cold). I’ll take that over anxiety ANY DAY."

JessiKostaMesa (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2018

For Pain: "I never write reviews but I felt I needed more people to know about amitriptyline. It SAVED my life. I started taking it 3 years ago when I was pregnant with my second child. Early in my pregnancy I thought I was having UTI that was unbearable after being hospitalized and seeing tons of doctors to my surprise my high risk doctor diagnosed me with IC and within 1 week my pain was gone with amitriptyline. Fast forward to when my daughter was a few months old at this time was off the amitriptyline because I had to wake up every 2-3 hours to nurse the baby. I started to develop severe upper neck pain that was unbearable. I went to chiropractor, acupuncture, physical therapy, and epidural shots for pain and nothing work. I was at my wits end again as my qualify of life was going down. My doctor recommended I go back on amitriptyline for the pain and the very next day it was gone!"

Ry July 2, 2018

For Insomnia: "My pain management doctor prescribed this last Thursday for chronic insomnia/"painsomnia" related to fibromyalgia & other chronic illnesses. Initially, I was leery because I also have a bipolar diagnosis & antidepressants aren't always the best for some of us with bipolar. Also, I've have had so many med reactions & side effects to various meds. Anyway so far this medicine has been great in helping me get to sleep & stay asleep. I've learned the hard way, I've got to get plenty of sleep while on this med, because if I don't, I wake up really groggy. I see this med is also prescribed for anxiety, fibromyalgia, IBS, migraines & PTSD, which are all conditions I have, as well. I've noticed a decrease in my anxiety symptoms like chest pain, increased heart rate, etc. No change in my fibro or migraines, but it's still too soon to tell. Plus, I've had some other recent med changes."

Jillyn31 (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've used this before and felt like my head was going to explode I was in so much pain. Avoid if you can. I had blood tests, stool and urine tests and scans for IBS, daily diarrhea and severe bloating. I kept a food diary and I decided to cut out one thing at a time so I cut out dairy: milk, cheese and cream and also avoided spicy foods. This stopped my daily diarrhea and bloating completely. I have also now cut out bread. Also you could try the FODMAP dietary option to help too."

Tinker1981 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2018

For Vulvodynia: "I started on amitriptyline 4 weeks ago firstly on 10 mg which didn’t help at all, I still had the pain & burning which was excruciating. Upped to 20 mg and still no relief a week later the pain was still present . Then upped to 30mg ,40mg and now 50 mg a night which has eliminated all my pain . It does take up to 6 weeks to really work so be patient . Hard I know to tolerate the pain but it helped me . Had a dry mouth initially & sleepy at first but now don’t get any side effect ."

Slinky (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was having the most horrible panic attacks and pretty constant anxiety where if it had continued, I really don't want to contemplate what I would have done to stop it all. After Taking amitriptyline 50mg for 7 days it all stopped dead! Thank you Amitriptyline! I have my life back and now feel normal again. I highly recommend it!"

Timelord (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I was prescribed 10 mg at bedtime for horrible neck pain and migraines. I was told it would also help my anxiety which could lessen my migraines as well. I took ONLY 5 Mg (half of a pill) before bed and it was very hard for me to wake up in the morning. I felt very drowsy and I kept feeling like passing out on and off and it would happen suddenly and last a few seconds. It also made my hands feel very weak and I felt not myself at all which worsened my anxiety. If only 5mg did this I wonder what would have happened if I took the whole dose. I am home alone with my toddlers all day and I do not recommend anyone who is home alone with young kids to try this."

User (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "I went to a neurologist for trouble with anxiety as I was going through a number of issues including a break up. She prescribed 10 mg of amitriptyline. The side effects seemed quite scary so didn’t take it the first week. Then one night decided to take it. It knocked me out and had trouble getting up the next day. I had a boat to catch and barely made it. At my destination, at the hotel straight to bed for a few hours. So I decided to not take any more"

Re. Nash June 11, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Amitriptyline has been great! I averaged 4-5 migraine days a week, 1-2 of which were debilitating. I still have 1-2 migraine days a week (ocular and headache), but they are easily treated with a combination of caffeine, 500mg Tylenol, and water. I take 25mg every night and sleep for a solid 8-9 hours! This is vastly different from my previous 4-6 hours a night. I am a bit groggy when I first wake up, but a cup of black tea helps with that. The downsides are lifestyle-related. I no longer consume alcohol (as is recommended with this pharmaceutical), which is disappointing. I miss having a nice glass of wine every now and then! I also miss being a morning person. It takes me a while to pull myself together now. The first week was by far the hardest."

admcarth (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2018

For Insomnia: "This medication made my blood pressure skyrocket and my resting heart rate was 110. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone!"

Momma416 (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

For Depression: "I have taken amitriptyline in 2012 for 6 months and now again in 2018. For depression it really is the best medication for myself. I had moderate success with Effexor and fluoxetine but the side effects like night sweats where a pain and I always felt a bit numb emotionally. Amitriptyline makes me feel Human again and apart from a dry mouth and morning grogginess it doesn’t have any side effects. I think it’s a shame that doctors are reluctant to prescribe this medication for depression as it really is very effective."

Jordandlee85 May 30, 2018

For Insomnia: "Between the age of 15-38 I struggled with severe insomnia. 23 LONG years. I had seen sleep specialists for sleep studies, I took a scary cocktail of sleep aids nightly, I tried meditation, hypnosis...I tried pretty much anything doctors could think of. I was desperate. For some reason, no one thought to have me try Elavil. It was actually a lung specialist who suggested it. He started me on 50 mg and it helped a little. So we increased it to 100 mg and I am now sleeping somewhat like a NORMAL person! In October of 2018 it will be 2 years that I've actually been sleeping. I don't need sleep aids anymore, and I didn't think that was possible. My life has improved because of this medication. I'm active and I wake up actually feeling like I got restful sleep. Unfortunately, I did gain weight from taking Elavil, but I just try to be more cautious about what and when I eat. I will deal with a little weight gain if it's in exchange for good, restful sleep!"

Lis (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "Amitriptyline worked well for insomnia, depression, anxiety, sadness, lack of interest in daily activities, boredom, suicidal thoughts, etc..helped relieve Headache, migraine and nerve pain It saved my life ...thanks a lot"

Sri (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2018

For Depression: "Experience is the best teacher, my journey with amitriptyline started last year. I was sick for a very long time with no single day of relieve, antibiotics and antimalarials with no result.From the area I come from people will term this unresolved issue spiritual.I went from church to churches still no result until I went for a proper medical check up when all test results came out negative. I was prescbed amitriptyline December 2016 and this drug happened to be a life saver. I increased the dose from 25mg till as high as 125mg, at this point I felt very good with myself, my life was blissful. After sometime my doc started to help me taper off it. I gradually tapered off the same way I increased using it. All was fine all the way I stopped using endep the last week of last month. Right now I'm in the depression stage. I am using 50mg but still no improvement. I sleep but wake up at intervals. Will increasing it help?? This drug has really worked for me."

mame May 24, 2018

For Vulvodynia: "Amitriptyline was the best thing for my pain . Took 4 days to start working . I started on 10mg and now taking 20 mg at night . Had no side effects at all. This medication saved my life after 5 months of 3 doctors,1 dermatogist & 3 gynos to figure out what was causing this pain . Would highly recommend Amitriphtyline for vulvodynia ."

Bojo (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "anitriptyline changed my life! I had been dealing with severe, consistent cluster headaches upon waking about 4-5 days a week, dating all the way back to my middle school years. I started at 10mg, gradually moved up over time & am currently at 25mg. I will still get the occasional headache here & there (few times a month), but they are now quickly handled with OTC pain relievers. This pill is not reactive but instead proactive, it does not just mask symptoms but truly stops headaches in their tracks. Which is what makes this medicine so great!"

Mjm (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2018

For Insomnia: "Amitript is definitely helping me sleep but I have the feeling like I don't want to do anything during the day. Only on them one week so I am hoping that resolves itself."

Reeny (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2018

For Pain: "As a pensioner golfer, I had to reduce my rounds (from 5/wk to 2/wk) because of early morning sciatica. Dosing with 10mg Amitriptyline has coincided with easing and sometimes elimination of pain particularly if vigorous leg exercises are completed prior to rising from bed. Adverse effects noticed are tiredness and slightly dry mouth. These are tolerable penalties to be pain free!!"

Golfer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2018

For Depression: "I was prescribed Elavil after 3 years of terror with SSRI and SNRIs. I have to say that it helped me tremendously with sleeping, energy and headaches. I suffer from anxiety/depression. It helped with anxiety a lot. I threw away the clonazepam after 2 weeks. However for my bad luck it didn’t give me the remission —my old self. I was disconnected for three years and a half.. I was like circled not living the daily routine. If I would feel my old self I wouldn’t mind for the dry mouth and weight gain. Anyway I tapered it off and after 4 months I crashed. I tried Fetzima, Cymbalta without result. Now my doctor wants to put me back to Elavil and I’m crying all day because I know will help me with most of the symptoms except for not feeling my old self—just flat all day. I can’t imagine my life feeling disconnected from my children.. what should I do?"

Antonia1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2018

For Pain: "I'm feeling pain from when I wake up in the morning. Been taking Amitriptyline since Feb. Started with 10mg and now 50mg now. I have side effects: dry mouth, shaking, bad memory and very bad focus and concentration. I have discs problems and in pain for more than 15 months. I sleep ok. Its not a magic pill but prefer it instead of morphine."

Greta (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "This drug has been a major help in me getting proper sleep and staying sleep. It helps a great deal when my anxiety flares up"

MemyselfandI (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I started Amitriptyline over a year ago. I started at 25mg progressed up 75mg it has helped me a lot. I can sleep at night now. The pressure in my head has not totally gone away at times, but It is an amazing drug for me. It has helped me a lot and I would recommend taking it for over 2 weeks before deciding it is not working. It took time to start feeling a difference but I am not one who likes medication. This one ,after trying so many other drugs, is the first one that actually worked for me. I never want to stop if it means the migraines and head pressure and severe vertigo will come back.."

Mary Taylor (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2018

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Depression: "This helped me tremendously in the matter of a few weeks. I was so hopeless that nothing would work and that I would never be myself again. I’m so thankful for this medicine. It changed my life."

Ann246G (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2018