User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 796 medications

Hyperhidrosis 1 reviews 9 medications

5.5
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 967 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Migraine Prevention: "It didn’t work for me so I’m giving it a one. No terrible side effects except I was really tired in the mornings. I took it at night."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: "It got rid of mine! Tried many meds over the years with various side effects. This is the only one that got rid of my anxiety and depression and gave me no side effects. Not to mention I sleep better on it. I was out of it the first few days until I got used to it and now I can't even tell I am taking something except that I have no anxiety, panic attacks or depression anymore. It was a game changer for me. I feel like a new, normal person again. I highly recommend trying it."

Dawn4373 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Chronic back pain for two years. I have a herniated disc touching a nerve and a ripped disc. Though my pain isn't severe over time it builds up to what feels like an endless spiral of pain. A few of these later and the pain goes and I feel like a normal human being again. I take for a few months and then I'm okay until I find that next uncomfortable twist. Then back on them for a short while. They have given me my life back."

ohBoyDoINeedHelp (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on this drug for more than 30 years. I feel that it helps with my depression but there are many side effects that I do NOT like. My mouth is always dry and my tongue is always moving. Many family pictures have my tongue sticking out."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I started taking Amitriptyline for insomnia about one year ago. This is not the type of drug that makes you fall asleep like Lunesta or Ambien does. What it does do is help keep you asleep. I had not only insomnia, but what they call "fragmented sleep." Even if I managed to fall asleep, I was waking several times a night, about once every hour. Amitriptyline is the only drug I've ever taken that keeps me asleep. Instead of waking five or six times a night, I now wake up only once or twice. I still have to take Lunesta to fall asleep. So for insomnia I give Ami a big thumbs up. But a very bad side effect of the medication for me is rapid weight gain. I've gained about 40 pounds in a year. It makes my body cling to every calorie I eat."

Sloppy Taco October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I started taking Amitriptyline 10mg for insomnia, but I also suffer from hormonal migraines. After 4 weeks, I got through my migraine week without migraines! As for the insomnia, still need Klonopin to fall asleep, but the Ami seems to help me go back to sleep when I wake up. So I'm going to stick with this for a while to see if it continues to keep the migraines away. At first I had milder headaches and would take Excedrin, so give it a few weeks to work. It doesn't do anything for my anxiety and moods."

sak9210 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "was given for pain but works great for sleep, depression and anxiety. I love it"

seriousonly (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Myofascial Pain: "I take Amitriptyline with carbamazepine. I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia type 2. I take Amitriptyline 10-30 mg in the evening and its the only thing that has relieved me of the shocking pain I feel and the end of my jaw. At first I felt immense drowsiness, but as my body got used to the drug and that side effect went away. The pain is gone now, I am able to eat, drink and shower without the pain. It's been great. I don't have any side effects."

Anonymous September 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "Started taking 20mg before bed. I have fibromyalgia. I also take 150mg of lyrica a day to make it threw an 8 hour shift. Without lyrica I wouldn't be able to work at all. I would wake up with my hair being a total mess like I was sleeping restless. My doctor said to start this at 20mg before bed and if that dose doesn't help increase by 10mg until I get to a level that works. First couple nights have been wonderful. But I have been waking up at 6am both days and can't go back to sleep. I feel rested and alot less morning pain. Doctor is hoping I can go off lyrica. Lyrica is causing me to feel high. I get 8-9 hours relief with lyrica and then my pain comes back. I have gained about 10lbs while on lyrica but at least I can work."

Honeykat (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed Amitriptyline for insomnia after having a negative experience with taking Ambien. Ambien worked fine until its side effects kicked in then I stopped taking it because the side effects were unreasonable. Amitriptyline helped me sleep until one night I awoke to buzzing in my ears/head. From reasoning there might be lifelong buzzing in my head I discontinued the Amitriptyline. Shortly after discontinuing the buzzing went away and never returned. Bottome line: there are much better oral's to take to assist in sleeping. I feel Amitriptyline did however correct a brain imbalance that was produced by the Ambien; and I found the culprit to my insomnia: I have an adrenaline allergy, from stress, anxiety and screen-time."

Bhama September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been taking 20mg at night for a couple of years and can't praise it highly enough. I had terrible muscle cramps and twitching and constant burning pain in my arms and legs, within a few days of starting the drug, my symptoms began to ease. The twitching is now only very mild, the pain is 2 out of 10 and the spasms non existent! Magic."

Cattius clay (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Neurotic Depression: "It really works ."

mohammed iraq September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "My first migraine came at 16 years of age. Extreme headache pain, optical halos that would move over my eyes for 45 minutes, vomiting, serious aversion to light and smell. At age 32 the migraine events became a daily experience. My doctor prescribed 25 mg of Amitriptyline at bedtime. The headaches disappeared and very rarely does one break through. However, when it does breakthrough all I get is the optical side of the headache which lasts 45 mins. I have tried to wean myself off the medication but after a week the headaches start again. Today I have been on the medication for 29 years and I am very happy that this low dosage of this drug allows me the ability to have a great life, free of that horrible pain and suffering"

Debbie333 September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I take 50mg every night before bed to help with sleeping."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "I have had cyclic vomiting for five years and nothing seemed to work. Anytime I was in a social situation, or somewhere new, or had something stressful going on (the list goes on and on), nothing seemed to help. I was also taking 4-5 meds just for CVS alone. Once I was prescribed this med, everything changed. I am finally back to my old self and can eat food without worrying about nausea/vomiting. I am so thankful for this med!"

CESDDS September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I started it and noticed I slept well after first tablet. The 10mg works better for fibromyalgia on low dose apparently (10mg) but anyway I took it daily an hour or two before bed but it did take a good 4 months to get into my system and work on blocking out most of my pain and actually get to grips with my own personal experiences with this chronic condition. It worked really well on my migraines I get them occasionally if I eat food triggers wheat - dairy - msg amongst other triggers but not nearly as bad as before I started taking amitriptyline. I can honestly say its given me back my life and can plan ahead which I have never been able to do before. I gave it a 10/10. My side effects were dry mouth for few weeks and I watch my diet because it can increase your appetite"

gigiboo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Suffered migraines for over 15 years average 2-3 a month 10/10 pain vomiting, sweats the absolute worse and headaches on daily basis 7/10 pain. I've been on 50mg endep for 4 years. Migraines are not as severe but still get a least once a month. Headaches still a daily problem. I'm now taking inderal 40mg with endep 50mg it's been 9 days and so far no headaches. I'll write a review after a few months. Hopefully good news finally"

Abj2278 September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pudendal Neuralgia: "This drug saved my life. Pudendal neuralgia was making me utterly miserable. I could barely even sit down. But between 10mg and 30mg of this drug and my pain disappeared. I became happier and was able to live my life without thinking about the pain. Highly recommended for anyone with sensitive or painful nerves."

CrystalLily September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Amazing difference."

Shelley321 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Started taking this a few days ago and the difference is unreal. No more pain, can eat what I want (no dairy and no gluten made no difference) I'm taking this med for nerve pain and this added bonus is amazing."

Shelley321 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome about 3 years ago. From my elbow to the tip of my fingers the pain is always there. I am on 25mg once a day and the pain is still there. Sometimes so severe I have to cry out. These pills do very little for me."

stumpjumper 206 September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Hi. I suffered with constant dizziness every day to some degree for at least 5 years. Seen neurologists, had brain scans and tried various drugs. The last neurologist said it could be a type of migraine but I am not convinced (every day for 5 years)? It is ruining my life. I can't make plans, drive, look after grandkids, just stuck indoors. Just started taking 10mg of Amitripyline and am worried that one of the side effects is dizziness! I will give it a good try because I am at a loss as to where to go from here. Anybody else taken this drug for dizziness? how did it work for you??"

Anonymous September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I am taking amitriptyline four 3 years I started 10mg and up to much higher doses. I had 3mth set back.that's why I am taking a bigger dose. last night I was able to go to sleep with out back & leg pain"

cookie419 September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I am a senior and was given amitriptyline for sleep. I found that 10mg was too strong and made me very groggy in the AM. Cutting the 10mg in half has worked very well for me. I only take it if I have had poor sleep 2 nights in a row,. It knocks me out for 7-8 hours."

larsat (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I started having head pains on the right side of my head/neck/eye after the loss of a loved one. Sharp pains and long lasting dull ache on the right side wouldn't go away, sometimes numbness etc. And for about a year I went through EVERY type of Dr & test possible. Long story short and two MRI's later (all came back normal). I was no closer to ridding myself of these pains. I found a new Dr who put me on Elavil (25mg) and I can say after 3 months my head pains are reduced 85%. I have pain free days now! It took about 2 months to work in my case. Tiredness is a side effect but mine went away after a few weeks. This med has given me hope. I hope if you're having these problems you will give it a chance to work..."

BunnyBuelle September 2, 2017