User Reviews for Amitriptyline systemic

Pudendal Neuralgia
5.4

Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 7.7 1,157 reviews

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Depression: "Good information. My daughter was started on Amitriptyline 25gm for depression treatment. On day 5 we tried increasing dose to 50mg which immediately induced train of unwanted thoughts with compulsive reactions-obsessive compulsive disorder(OCD). We dropped dose to 25mg but OCD persisted. We withdrew Amitriptyline on day 10 and started Prozac 10mg. OCD with unwanted thoughts improved immediately and stopped 3 days later. Concluding, amitryptyline improved depression but induced OCD."

Carlo (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2019

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Hyperthryoid, PTSD. Have been on benzos for years to control "panic disorder, unspecified" and while Xanax kept me functional, in PTSD therapy I realized an old incident might have caused my thyroid to go nuts and put me in the ER a lot. I didn't want to be "stuck" carrying Xanax for instant relief of unexplained panic attacks (I'm not in the least bit "anxious", or depressed, but have been prone to "panic" daily for years, and didn't know why). Everything else made me more anxious or put me in the ER (even with Xanax). When I was finally diagnosed PTSD, I begged for Elavil after researching, and immediately felt the difference. I don't know how it works, but Elavil's the ONLY one I've felt could take the place of Xanax. A little worried about "swapping dependencies," but this kind of "calm" seems worth it. I still have Xanax (and propanolol for high heart rate, which I had moments after swallowing Elavil), but am taking them "in taper mode"."

ThyroidGirl February 9, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "this has been a life saver so far for me! i am currently on 10mg and it has made such an improvement with my anxiety and sleep problems! i used to get terrible anxiety in class and other social situations which triggered terrible stomach aches, both of which have nearly gone because of this drug, i have severe anxiety so i know this drug won’t fully help the anxiety due to the fact that it is supposed to help mild anxiety but believe me it does do wonders!, i was very unsure about taking it at first (bc i was worried it wouldn’t do anything, that’s the anxiety speaking) but in order for it to help you must put your faith in it and it will help!"

yeetlol February 5, 2019

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Throughout my life, I've been prescribed so many different medications for my C-PTSD (Complex post traumatic stress disorder ) and every single thing I tried seemed to make things worse except Amitriptyline for C-PTSD. 31 years old and in ER for being suicidal when this awesome doctor tells me about amitriptyline. It took a few weeks to notice a difference, but once this stuff kicked in I noticed a massive difference in the way I felt. I got some actual SLEEP for the first time in as long as I could remember. My emotions levelled out, my brain fog cleared up, my ability to deal with everyday life situations improved, I mean it's just unbelievable. The med isn't without downsides. If for any reason you suddenly stop taking this and have to go without for a couple days you're going to be a horrendously awful person to deal with because of the withdrawal from this med causing an emotional rollercoaster of anger!!! It's pretty crazy. I don't ever want to be without this medication again. <3"

melmoldy (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I suffered with digestive issues for years and had just come to the conclusion that it was just something I'd have to live with. Countless docs and tests were run and everything under the sun came back negative. My issue was feeling extremely full a few bites into a meal. If I didn't stop eating I would immediately puke or would have really uncomfortable belches for the next hour until everything subsided. Diet didn't seem to matter or anything. My GI said let's give this a shot at 25mg. Within a day of being on the medicine I was able to enjoy eating again and eat until my stomach felt satisfied without the fear of blowing chunks. I've been on the medicine for 3 months and I've put on 12+ lbs (I'm currently 6' and 145lbs, imagine the the beanpole I was a 6' and 130lbs.). This pill actually changed my life because dinner with friends and work dinners are enjoyable for me where previously I had reached the point of just not eating in public."

tjb196 January 13, 2019

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I don't take amitriptyline on a regular basis, now that my IC is under control because of my diet. But if I have a bad day, I just take 5 mg. of amitriptyline before bed and it helps with my bladder."

Barb (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "Took 20mg at night as prescribed for 7 days. On the third day I had a pain in the top of my back. Like a stiffening. My heart was racing uncontrollably. I felt dizzy and sick. Doc put me on these to help me sleep but because my heart kept racing, every time I was ready to nod off my heart would wake me up. My anxiety only got worse with the lack of sleep and pounding heart so I stopped taking them. These pills made me feel like I was coming down off ecstasy."

Firey85 (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2019

For Insomnia: "This is probably the worst drug I have ever taken "

Bobnguru (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2019

For Insomnia: "I've been on this drug for a few months now and I have finally been able to get some sleep. I started this drug in September, thanks to the recommendation of my neurologist, and it is now January and I am sleeping between 6-8 hours a night. I had tried other drugs, including Ambien, Sertraline, Trazodone, Adovan, and OTC, but once my insomnia was in full swing none of these proved effective for me. Although this drug is not perfect - in the beginning I had some dizziness and drowsiness in the morning that at times could last throughout the day - I will say it was a complete game-changer for the insomnia and I could wake up once during the night, go to the bathroom, and within a few minutes I would fall back asleep. Eventually the side effects wore off, but thankfully not the effectiveness of the drug."

ThanskElavil January 8, 2019

For Insomnia: "I've been put on 50mg amitriptyline for my bad insomnia . I've been suffering with not sleeping for the past 7 years on and off since my 23 year old son died and been on different anti depressants. Last year it got really bad, actually chronic. I'm 52 and also going through the menopause which can also cause bad sleep problems. My doctor put me on zopiclone, this worked very well, but doctor won't prescribe anymore because of the addiction side of the pill. 1 week ago, after I had done a lot of research about it, I asked my doctor if she could prescribe me amitriptyline, it's really honestly worked for me. I'm so so grateful for it. I take 50mg about 2 hours before I go up to bed, the first night I took it and went to bed way too early it didn't work so that's a good tip if you need this drug to help you get off to sleep. One side effect I get at the moment is a dry mouth which I can tolerate. Hopefully after a while my doctor will reduce the dose and one day I won't have to take it."

Cath B. (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "Tbh, I always look for reviews but can never be bothered to leave my own but had to make an exception for this drug. If you're like me and get vomiting and tremors from most SSRI/SNRI's you NEED to try this stuff. Anxiety, panic attacks, not to mention IBS-D (irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea) this has worked wonders. On 75mg per day, climbed dose very slowly which is good when you need to taper down/if you ever want to. (Come in 10mg, 25mg & 50mg) . The only negative side effect I experienced is my mouth gets VERY dry the higher the dose you go. It also slightly constipates you (actually quite welcoming for IBS-D. ) Being on this also negated the need to take my xanax/valium. I will take the dry mouth in exchange for my life back!!"

Rolls Royce (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2019

For Pain: "I have a love/hate relationship with this drug. I started taking it 2 months ago for Neuropathy from MS in both my legs. I’ve had some pain for over 5 years, but it turned on high 2 years ago. I tried all the drugs my neurologist had me try, but nothing would work. So I started researching & found this drug. The good:pain free at 150mg at night. The bad news: Horrible side effects at this dose. Extreme dry mouth, constipation, weight gain, balance issue & brain is acting like I have dementia ie asking the same question multiple times. Aphasia, and Sense of taste made everything taste metallic. So I’m in limbo until I find another drug to try."

Lora629 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2019

For Vulvodynia: "Worked on the vulvar pain right away but the side effects at 5mg were unbearable. I took 1/2 of the lowest dose and could not tolerate the medicine. Feel asleep for 12 hours within 2 hours of taking this medicine. Then woke up and had racing heartbeat for the next 8 hours. It was scary. Called Dr. contemplated going to ER but heart settled down by 3pm the next day. NOT worth it at all. Switched to Vaginal Estrogen and Vaginal valium and problem solved. Local therapy is always better than systemic."

blue-sky (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2018

For Insomnia: "I have been on Amitriptyline since 2000! 18 years. Best medication I have ever taken . My doctor prescribed this because I couldn’t sleep at all at night. He started me with 25mg. I take 1 every night before bed. The next morning I am ready to start a full busy day. It improved my thinking, my anxiety, and my knee pain. What better drug is this? Love it! It also improved my bad dreams at night. Once I am sleeping, I get up to use the bathroom and get right back to sleep. I find that this drug puts me in a deep sleep with no side effects. Best medicine that has been prescribed to me ever!"

Anonymous December 20, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I have had Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/IC for over 2 years. I tried Elavil when I was first experimenting with therapies (others included Physical Therapy, Elmiron, Baclofen suppositories, bladder cocktail, Ditropan, elimination diet) a lot of stuff to say the least lol. And eventually I was cured! Since I tried so many different things I wasn't sure which one fixed me. But I had no more pain or bladder issues and I discontinued all drugs for a long time...over a year! Then sure as the world the issues and pain came back. My doc put me back on Elavil after struggling with the issues again for over a month. I kid you not after ONE dose I was back to normal and in remission again. This stuff is great and WAY cheaper than other therapies! Thanks Elavil! I didnt give 10 starts because it makes me sooo sleepy but I will take it over the pelvic floor and bladder pain!"

Chellie December 14, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I have had IC and Vulvodynia for around a year and a half. My symptoms include painful intercourse, pelvic pain, burning urethra. I tried Elmiron and it made my symptoms 10 times worse, so I stopped within three weeks of my start date. I recently was prescribed Amitriptyline 25mg and I have been on it for a month. I take it at night around 9 PM and find that it makes me drowsy. It also keeps me in a deep sleep (which I love). In the morning, it is a little harder to wake up, but once I am up, I am fully functional and not tired. During the first two weeks, I didn't experience any relief, but by the third week, my symptoms disappeared. I am in shock that something actually worked being that I have tried almost EVERYTHING. I now can drink an 8-ounce cup of coffee a day and not feel any burning or pain when I urinate. If you have been suffering for some time with IC/Vulvodynia, I highly suggest trying this medication."

Hugs (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was recently taken off 2mg of Klonopin after being on them for 2 years daily. I'm slowly weaning myself off. I'm prescribed 60 mg of Celexa, 900 mg of Gabapentin and 75 mg of Elavil. The Elavil is so strong that I only take about 10 mg at night. So far it's helped with my anxiety and I'm sleeping great! I feel kind of foggy and I find myself zoning out a lot. I also twitch/jerk as I'm falling asleep and during sleep. I'm hopeful that this medication will work and stop or even ease my Pure O-OCD. The anxiety with the OCD is horrible!"

Wife & Mother December 11, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I am an active 22-year old college student. I struggled with IBS-D (Diarrhea) and fibromyalgia for almost a year before trying this drug. I had lost almost 20 pounds and had constant stomach pain, nerve pain, fatigue, and diarrhea. Within 2 weeks of starting this drug, almost all the nerve/stomach pain was gone and my bowel movements were greatly reduced. My doctor has increased my dosage to 30 mg, and with each increase I have felt improvement. The only downside of this drug is that it is a bit harder for me to initially wake up in the morning. Once I'm up though, my energy level is 10x better than what is was before starting this medication. I can imagine this medication may not be helpful for people who have constipation-dominant IBS, as this will probably slow down the bowel movements even more."

Kelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2018

For Vulvodynia: "I was very hopeful this would solve my vulvodynia pain, but had terrible headaches, stomach aches and acid reflux on 5, 10 and 20 mg. I decided to go off. Will now try gabapentin."

ChPep4 (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

For Pain: "Amytryptyline is a rubbish drug. Sure it gets rid of pain, but was so constipated I did not doing a poo for 2 weeks - it is no joke"

Tom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 12, 2018

For Vulvodynia: "I’ve been on amytriptyline on and off for several years. I take only 5mg at night and have had such significant relief from many of my issues. My anxiety is much better and my chronic lower back pain from a ruptured disc is so much better. I also have vulvadynia and have had significant relief from that as well. I think this drug is under prescribed because it’s old and the drug reps aren’t pushing it. But is is well studied and very safe. I have no real side effects on 5mg but on 10mg I do get dry mouth and fatigue. I highly recommend trying amytriptyline!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 11, 2018

For Pudendal Neuralgia: "Took it to help with perineum spasms, it actually made them worse! Left Levidor ani would go into FULL lock and I could not walk, had to take 3+ grams of benzos to unlock them... Not cool, and extremely painful!"

RD (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2018

For Pain: "I had weight loss surgery and a few months after my spinal problems went from semi to disastrous. My herniated disks start to degenerate. I have 5 degenerated disks currently 2 fused and 2 herniated to bulging. I have nerve pain and all the wonderous pain that comes with injuries in each zone of my spine. Pain down legs and arms . No sleep, depression yada yada. Lyrica and gabapentin cause me anxiety as does methadone. I cant take a lot of stuff. So for pain I take oxycodone and my doctor had me try Amitriptyline. Amitriptyline if it works for you its an amazing life changer. It doesn't work for every one. But for me amitriptyline gave me sleep. It helped dull the headache from nerve pain it has helped is so many ways. Its a game changer for me. I can get more than 1 hour of consecutive sleep and smile at my family some times. It is cheap per dose so it wont break the bank."

Junry (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "After trying propranolol and then topiramate for prevention of migraine, I settled on amitriptyline as it was the only one that didn't make me feel either physically exhausted (propranolol) or mentally handicapped (topiramate...) although these other drugs did work. I'm currently on 10mg nightly, the pain has stopped and I feel myself again. I did experience some initial anxiety at night, but I'm able to keep that in check by thinking rationally about things. Amitriptyline is a strong anticholinergic which has been linked to an increased incidence of neurodegenerative disease in the long term (BMJ 2018;361:k1315, BMJ 2018;361:k1722), but the alternative for me (eye pain) has an increased risk of gouging my eyeballs out with a spoon, so it's a fair swap."

eyepain2000PLUS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2018

For Pain: "Doctor prescribed this for sleep disturbances. I didn't believe it would work but it absolutely worked! Not only that it has helped with my hip and back pain....I just realised it had helped after reading the comments of people using it for pain. I've only been on it for a week at 25mg. If you take it no later than 8pm as intended you don't really feel groggy in the morning. I've slept through the night every night without getting woken up by my pain. I've even been able to sleep on my side....something I could very rarely do before taking this. I'm absolutely blown away. I did read that something like 1 in 4 people will feel the benefits for sleep/pain. Someone suggested to do more testing but I think it just comes down to trying it and if it does work keep taking it. It won't work for everybody. For the first time in a long time I actually am looking forward to going to bed, not dreading it. And its on the PBS in Australia so about $6 for a pack of 50"

K8E (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2018