User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 790 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 3 reviews 0 medications

5.3
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 938 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Depression: "This drug has changed my life. I wish it hadn't taken going through 7-8 medications and 2 years of feeling like a test subject, but I finally found the one! Doctors tend to use SSRIs for the first line of defence against anxiety and depression (also insomnia). I tried Lexapro, Hydroxyzine, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Zoloft (again), and a variety of over the counter supplements. I also did yoga, crossfit, all the natural cures to mental instability. The SSRIs helped significantly but resulted in bad side effects such as sexual, feeling like a robot, and wearing off, over time. After a few melt downs, 3 doctors, and 2 years, I tried amitriptyline (a tricyclic antidepressant). Now, I feel fantastic- happy, sleeping well, anxiety-free"

Molldoll (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have troubles with Anxiety and insomnia for years I've been on different types of medicine and some of them helped but I just went to my doctor On 8/15 and He put me on Amitripyline 50 mg so I take that night and I must say that's the best sleep I've had in a long time , I woke up feeling good I had plenty of energy and my mood was totally different I have 28 employees and sometimes it can be VERY stressful but I went to work feeling GREAT and I've only took 1 pill so far !!!! I'm looking forward to a new me since ❤️"

Chinadol65 (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have taken many SSRI's, none were all that great. Fluvoxamine helped my OCD some. So my prescribing psychologist put me on amitriptyline. It really works for me. Helps me sleep some, and I'm not having the chronic depression and low mood. Sometimes the oldies are the best."

bpmabq August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have been taking amitriptyline for about 9 years now. I always take 10 mg. I read there are people who take a very high dosage. In a high dosage it does not work for insomnia but for depression. It is better to start with 10 mg. When you start taking them you can have side effects, but these will disappear in time. When you are very busy in your head, it is possible that it won't work that night. But don't give up. I take it about 2.5 hours before going to bed. But don't use a high dosage, it won't work for your insomnia. It is an excellent pain killer as well, in a lower dosage. And with 10 mg it is very easy to stop taking it, I did that a couple of times without any problems."

Dutchiedutch August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "My mother is an elderly user of this Med and was sent a letter by her health insurance. The letter stated it can cause falling in ageing users."

Lil B August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "10-12.5 mg for insomnia works well. I will take it earlier to avoid grogginess. It also helps with the low mood you develop when you don't sleep well."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Helps me fall asleep but the higher mg I take the more hungover I feel the next day. 25mg works best for me and 5-6 hours sound sleep"

high mg = high hangover (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: "Started 25mg for crippling panic attacks !! Had them for 6-7 months without even any relief from xanax ... first and only med that has worked for me without side effects ! Couldn't even take an SSRI felt so sick from them .. 25mg saved my life !"

Thanking meds (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I am using trypiyizole 10 mg for around 12 years to treat fibromylagia and I feel very happy With the improvement .I can say that it is a miracle drug ,also it did not cause any side effects Though it is an old generation drug but it is much effective ."

Senan (taken for 10 years or more) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I was recently diagnosed with a pinched nerve in the mid-upper back due to scoliosis (at age 66). I have suffered pain in both the mid to upper back as well as my lower back. A friend who recently broke her back told me I needed to ask my doctor about Elavil. I was very familiar with this drug as I took it 40 years ago for panic attacks. I was on 10 mg for 2 weeks and have now been on 25 mg for 2 weeks. My upper back pain is virtually gone and if I do have break through pain, I can usually control it with Chinese Herbal Warming gel, Biofreez and DMSO. I am sold on this medication! Not 100% pain free yet but am at last 95% pain free."

Alice0503 August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "I told my doctor about my symptoms and he told me that my symptoms did not appear in his medical handbook so he disregarded my symptoms completely. He said it was mandatory for him to report any symptom not listed in his book to the proper health authorities to update the handbook. However, he didn't report the side effects that I told him about because it was "too much paperwork." Instead, he tried to convince me that it had nothing to do with Elavil and in a threatening demeanour tried to change my mind about my symptoms so that he would not be forced to do any paperwork. After reading this site on Elavil, I see the symptoms that I told my doctor about. I find that my doctor acted in an unsafe, unprofessional, and negligent manner."

John AB (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I took this drug for low back pain and anxiety. I stayed on for two weeks at only 10mg before night. It does help you sleep and does prevent migraines, without a doubt. However, I woke up with a lot of pain in my upper back and chest from muscle spasms I guess. Every night. And you can't drink alcohol at all unless it's late at night after the drug wears off. Oh, and it doesn't help with anxiety or panic attacks at all."

Panicked Peter (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This really does help with my IBS-d .When I don't take it I suffer really bad as my IBS flares up"

hamyam (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had Migraines for 40 yrs. I take Topamax 200mg2x/ day. I added Ami about 4 months ago, it has drastically reduced my Migraines. I had surgery, that interfered with sleep. This was my cure drug, except for the WGT gain I experienced.a wonderful combination w Topamax, n triptans."

Cobber3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "This medication made me not want to get out of bed. It was difficult to get up in the morning and I felt tired and unmotivated. It was a relief when I stopped after trying it for 3 months. I still had migraines."

Anonymous July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Have been prescribed Amitriptyline for sun damaged nerves on my scalp start with 10mg and I was so scared to take as don't want to become dependant on them. It has helped a little and Dr wants me to increase to 20mg. I'm feeling good as sleeping better and overall feeling better but still worried of the dependency so haven't increased to 20mg."

Nanna dixy July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This drug really does work for IBS-C. I take it so I can sleep, but,discovered it works for the bowel problem. Amazing!!!!!"

panther63 (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was so excited for the first two months. Two 10mg tabs before bed with my Prozac (which is also supposed to help my migraines) and month three they are back and worse than ever. I take relpax for migraine as needed but cannot take more than 8 a month. I'm already at 11. It's the only thing that helps. I do love the sleep from elavil though, just haven't found help with migraines"

Msghu July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Dear God thank you!!!!! PTSD causing insomnia and crippling panic attacks!! Have been on every SSRI made the panic worse! Basically I just can't take SSRI and SSNRI. They led me to panic disorder as if anxiety and insomnia weren't bad enough. I suffered for ten years until I crashed Then I started 0.25 immediate relief! By 8 weeks no panic and by 9 weeks I am sleeping. I have no side effects for me other then next day brain fog. Just kind of like duhhhhhh lol it went away. I should've, could've and wish I would've a done this sooner!!! Very cheap older med of the tryclic antidepressants. I also tolerate trazodone hence my PCP going for this ! Never give up peeps!!"

Praisejeesusss (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I was given 10mg Amitriptyline for insomnia, anxiety and migraines. It didn't seem to help the insomnia much, even with taking .25mg - .5mg Klonopin. So the doctor gave me 25mg Amitriptyline which I just couldn't tolerate. Gave me worse insomnia, nightmares, even some bruises and muscle spasms in my back, which I'm assuming is related to the medication. I'm going to go back down to the 10mg and see what happens. I'm so sad because I've been reading all of these great reviews, and was really hoping it would help. I'm underweight, and just very sensitive to most medicines. So I would say give it a try, since it works differently for everyone. I will update soon."

sak9210 (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Suffered migraines for 30+ years. Lots of things trigger my migraine ( broken sleep, insomnia, having the slightest headache before going to bed, heat....I could go on!!)For the last 8 years I have been taking Sumatriptan with great success. I suffer migraines 5 times a week and the doctor was worried that I was taking Sumatriptan too often. He suggested amitriptyline. The migraines have decreased by 75%. I take 10mg of amitriptyline an hour before I go to bed and I must say I am very impressed."

Mamalogie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I started taking 10mg of amitriptyline in December of 2015 when I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. It takes away the constant sharp burning pain I was having along with the constant urge to urinate. Once in a while I will have a flare up of symptoms but even then my pain is very minimal. The only side effects I've noticed are that it makes me drowsy in the first few hours of taking my dose. The first month or two of taking I would experience extremely vivid nightmares, but those have subsided to simply being vivid dreams some of the time. I've also noticed that if I forget to take it one night I have difficulty falling asleep, and some anxiety similar to the feeling of drinking a little too much coffee, which is tolerable."

Julia M (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I am diabetic 2 so I take bout ten diff meds for pain to joint pains back pain..then you get sick from all side effects..well I take amitriptyline for pain and does help me sleep at night better more then anything,,I have lost some weight but doesn't do a lot for pain for me..."

robbvan54 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: "Today I am on 100mg of Elavil and it is working quite well. Best of all, Elavil has the added bonus of curbing my neuropathy which had forced me to be on fentanyl for over 4 years. Been about eight years now and it is still doing a great job. I have been on just about every drug they have for panic and other than Prozac this is one of the only drugs that has worked or worked without nasty side effects. paxil worked but TOTALLY wiped out my sex drive and ability to perform. Zoloft did nothing at all good or bad. Alcohol was good at knocking down the panic attacks but the bad there was the attacks became more frequent. Imipramine only masked the symptoms causing some nasty muscle tension that lead to migraines."

13crocs (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Most effective antidepressant. Works way better than SSRI and Effexor."

cw21 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2017