User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 784 medications

Fibromyalgia 65 reviews 20 medications

6.4
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 733 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Fibromyalgia: "I believe fibromyalgia symptoms started when I was around 14, it wasn't diagnosed until I was 41. I had been to many doctors complaining of lethargy and body pain/aches, and I never had any answers, one doctor said "do you think this might be all in your head."My life changed at 41 when I started on amitriptyline, I finally went into a deep sleep, felt more refreshed, and it substantially reduced the pain. I am currently 55, original dose lost its efficacy overtime. I am now on 125 mg, but I am very active and run and bicycle weekly. Don't get scared if you feel even more tired in the first 2 to 3 weeks of taking the medication, that will dissipate and you will feel refreshed all day."

Anonymous July 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I have suffered with migraines for 15 yrs. sometimes for days straight, sometimes 2-3 per week. Have been on amitriptyline for 10 months now at 10mg and my migraines have improved by about 95%. I still get the odd one only now they are silent migraines which is tolerable. Have gained 10 lbs that I needed so I am very happy with this medication."

Rae43 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2016

For Insomnia: "I have been on 20mg amitriptyline for some years now due to really bad insomnia. I don't really know if it works as some nights I sleep ok and others hardly at all. However never felt groggy in morning nor had a dry mouth (unlike when I have taken zopliclone and other sleeping pills). This week for example has been awful. Every night hardly slept a wink. So went docs yday and he said to increase dosage up to 50mg. Took 40mg last night and will see how that goes. Insomnia is just the worst thing ever, really envy those people who can sleep on a washing line!"

Insomnialala (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2016

For Pain: "It's taking the edge off of my pain but leaving me with terrible headaches so is it really worth the trade in pains? I'll continue to take this and see if the headaches subside for another week,after that if the headaches continue I will probably discontinue elavil!"

Tina57 July 8, 2016

For Pain: "I have using these for post stroke pain for only one week I think I saw some slight Improvement but I'm taking gabapentin and Lyrica as well I want to get off them because I've gained so much weight 60 pounds in 3 years."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "So I have been on amitriptyline for a little over a year and it did work wonders for migraine prevention but there are alot of down sides to this medication that the doctors don't make clear. It causes sugar and carb cravings like crazy you never feel full it's addictive and you can form a tolerance to it which causes you to have to go up in dose every once in a while. I have slowly grown to hate it because I personally have gained 40 pounds in less than a year taking this medication. I've noticed lately that it hasn't been working as well for my migraines signalling an increase in dose. I am going to try a different medication because I'm already taking 100mg of this one and I can't deal with the cravings and weight gain!"

Sjameson8 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 6, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Ive had migraines at least 3 times a week since I was 5 years old, I'm now 19.. I started taking these about 4-5 months ago and now i still get migraines about twice a week, BUT they are the worst migraines ive ever had in my life, im in so much pain i throw up 3-4 times with each one, all i can do is lay in the dark, cry, and try to sleep until it goes away, it usually takes around 24 hours to fade away. Ive also been expierencing hair loss and trouble urinating.. everytime i have a migraine all i can think about is how much i want to die and whats the point of living.. And for those reasons, im getting off this."

Diiieresssej (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "Was prescribed Elavil mainly for chronic headaches. Also suffer from depression, anxiety and insomnia so my neurologist had me start Elavil to try and kill many birds with one stone, so to speak. Elavil worked great to reduce the intensity of my headaches. Although they were still going on it was much more tolerable. I had been on Elavil only one month and a week before I stopped. First week my insomnia and anxiety seemed to be simmering down (This stopped soon after week 2). As for my depression... Elavil put it under a magnifying glass. I was suicidal and crying on a daily basis, it was not the medication for me... It helped with the main objective but at a horrible cost."

Fal (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

For Pain: "I am currently 16 years old, and have chronic nerve pain in my left arm- it has been 2 years so far. The doctors did basically nothing until now because my insurance (state insurance) was having them go through all kinds of hoops. Finally I was sent to pain management in the recent month, and from there I was prescribed amitriptyline hcl. I've found so far, after taking this medication for almost a week, 10mg 30 mins before I go to bed, that I've been having intense headaches, but only in my right side of my brain, along with sinus pressure and extreme drowsiness. I literally have slept an entire 19 hours! Normally I only sleep from 10pm to 6am, so sleeping this long is insane. So far it hasn't helped with my pain either... :("

Kitth (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was given this for my horrible migraine and for my insomnia. I was prescribe 20 ml every night and I must say is a life saver, I'm a full time student and I had a tumor removed from my spine and after that i wasn't able to sleep like before and my migraine went five level up, horrible, but this medicine is the best thing ever. The first week i tried it made me SOOOO hungry so i stopped it for like a month but my migraine was killing me i started it again no more side effects, I have energy for my day, it worked out great for me"

KABM04 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I suffered with vertigo migraines for two years before I was put on 10mg of endep, felt the difference within a week and went up to 20mg a couple of months after. This drug gave me back a life, I was able to go back to work, and after not being able to lie down to sleep for weeks I am now sleeping with just one pillow! Vertigo was horrendous, no headache just vertigo and pressure in my head. Had to up the dose after being on it for two years just recently and waiting for it to kick in, but after having another attack a week ago I realised how great this drug is & how terrible I feel with vertigo migraines. Definitely recommend this drug, worth trying for at least two weeks because I found side effects really decreased after that time"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I've had fibromyalgia since I was 14 years old. It was not diagnosed until I was 20 at that time I took 3600 milligrams of ibuprofen a day and 40 mg of prozac. After many years I finally went to a rheumatologist who had me on elavil 40 mg. I take that and my 40 mg or prozac and have no fibromyalgia pain any more. I do however have the side effects of fibro fog, short term memory loss. It's very scary I want to stop all medicine but am afraid. The elavil acts like a prophylactic to complicated migraines for me as well as helping me sleep. Any advice from anyone. I've been on medicine for 30 years now. thanks"

DBMCG June 27, 2016

For Insomnia: "I am a major insomniac, I was first prescribed trazadone (first 50 mg then 100 then 200) although the 200mg gave me excessive sweating at night as a side effect, plus trazadone only helps you to get to sleep, not stay asleep. so my doc recudes traz to 100 and put me on ami 25mg I find amitryptamine 25mg does'nt help me get to sleep, the trazadone initially puts me to sleep and I find ami gives me a full nights kip without waking up alot, I'd reccommend trazadone + ami together if your doctor is willing to put you on both @ same time."

ChrisBb June 21, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have been stricken with IBS-C for about 9 months. Have been through multiple GI's like most people with this syndrome, went through every test - to no avail. Bloating started as soon as I woke up and lasted all day with severe constipation every day. Have been on the SCD/FODMAP diet for the past 6 months, without much relief. My new GI prescribed this drug. I am taking a much higher dose than the other posters - 50mg once per night. This has given me SIGNIFICANT improvement - I would say at least 75% better. I am able to expand my diet now, and bloating is virtually non existent, even with those new foods. This has been a life changer. I do have the trouble urinating side effect, but only in the morning waking up. Rest of the day is fine."

Teepeetop (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Depression: "I am a mother of 3 kids 33 and have anxiety/depression I was on Effexor 150 mg " this should be illegal! " didn't work and If a dose was missed it felt like few hours of a drug "rush" like speed or cocaine...intense night sweats highly addictive AVOID! , Celexa " had bad sexual side effects", zoloft "robot drug". I am getting back to Elavil 10 mg. Elavil is great I feel happy on it . It makes me enjoy life and little things again. I don't need to take much for it to work and I have no side effects at all on a 10 mg daily dose. I felt sleepy for two weeks when I started but it resorbs and you can then feel its full beneficial effects quickly general mood elevation and good feeling". Anxiety is under control on it and I sleep better."

ladybug33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2016

For Pain: "My experience with amitriptyline I take 20mg in the evening, and it helps my pain tremendously. I can't take Lyrica, gabipenton due to edema side effects. My only complaint is that I can't wake up! It's causing problems with my marriage, and other family relationships. It's catch 20/20. Do I take only medication that allows me to function on daily basis with my chronic pain,or live in pain to maintain family relationships. : /"

Randireal1! June 19, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I'm taking 10 mg because I can't sleep with the pain I'm in. I have to say I don't feel drowsy on it but I do get to sleep wake up then easily go back to sleep. Last night I had a large glass of wine and took my tablet my became dry ( the norm) but when I woke after two hours sleep I'm in the dark and it was like objects were flying in the room coming towards me I kept my eyes closed and sat up opened them again and still had the objects coming towards me..'I woke my husband straight away as I was worried I'd do something. We looked online and said you should not take with alcohol.. I'm dreading tonight as I'm scared it will happen again.. Has anyone else had this ?"

Cazzzy1962 (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016

For Insomnia: "Works alright but loses effectiveness over time, so i only take every now and then."

Spe77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2016

For Pain: "I was in good health but developed severe neuropathic burning pain all over the body due to an MRI scan. I have been taking 10mg amitriptyline for the past 4 weeks and it seems to be starting to work, the burning pain is less severe so far. It hasn't helped any other symptoms which devleoped following teh scan but I would recommend it for neuropathic pain- also, I haven't develeoped any of the stated side effects. My friend also takes it in a higher dose (50) for depression and she is fine on it (no weight gain etc). Side effects not a reason to not take for pain."

Bina2016 June 14, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "Had a very bad experience with anxiety three years ago..couldn't eat or sleep properly..feeling nauseous..diarrhoea every morning. Tried lexapro for 3 nights but made diarrhoea worse. Started on 10mg of amitriptyline each night..symptoms improved for a week and then started to come back. Went on 25mg every night and have been taking it ever since. Would not like to stop taking it now as I feel so much happier in myself..side effects were a dry mouth for about a week but nothing after that.."

Dublin moth (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2016

For Insomnia: "absolutely horrendous - I don't understand how anybody can take these drugs. All it did was put me in a fog and laid awake for hours on end. My doctor wanted me to try something besides Ambien, because it causes dependency - big deal - at least I can get some sleep. The only plus would be the cost - 13 cents for 30 pills. Not worth it though."

bad attitude June 12, 2016

For Insomnia: "I take 100mgs of Elavil at night. It takes a couple of hours to kick in, but when it does,it is the most blissful sleep ever. I also take it for GAD and it has worked better than Xanex, Attivan or Klonopin. I am calm for the first time in a long, long time."

AngelWolf12 June 11, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Absolutely fantastic! Been suffering with severe chronic migraines for two years. Tried a handful of different triptans, topiramate and beta blockers (propranolol). Finally tried this and I haven't had one migraine since starting. It makes you incredibly hungry and I've gained a stone in two months. However I'd rather put on extra baggage than suffer everyday from severe pain."

Cookie addict (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2016

For Pain: "Herniated and degenerated disc, with sciatic leg pains, very disabling, unable to get about, get dressed or look after my child and dog in bad days, tried the usual fib off from Doctors and many prescribed medication, Amitriptyline works as pain relief but have been on several months now and always had very thick healthy hair, falls out excessively now and thinning, weight gain at fast pace was always a size 8 not now can't stop eating, still with pain but can look after my family just, side effects ae depressing for me but they manage the pain to a point after trying alot. Now looking into alternative healthy medication I'm told from a sufferer of back and disc pain that I should stop taking this toxin and try hemp oil along with vitamins."

Knackers Yard (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

For Insomnia: "Had insomnia ever since I can remember, when I went to the doctor he prescribed me amitriptyline 25mg it does not help at all. It makes me fell like a zombie, and it makes me feel "dull". I talk slow, and feel like I can't stand, but when I do sleep I sleep way too well. It's hard to wake up and when I do I feel tired all day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016