User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Hyperhidrosis 4.0
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 7.6 1,364 reviews

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Fortunate · Taken for 10 years or more June 15, 2020

Endep (amitriptyline) for Depression: “I have been taking Endep for well over 12 years without any side effects whatsoever. It has helped me greatly my maintenance dose is 100mg. It also helps my pain as well as being able to get about 6 hours sleep at night. l am an elderly person but Endep has contributed to giving me a better quality of life -”

Jen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 12, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I like the positive effects of the medication, but hate the weight gain that seems to come with it. Using a 1200 calorie diet to lose the extra 15 lbs gained (for no obvious reason). Other than that, it's a good medicine for me.”

SG · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 11, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “After suffering for years and pain of not knowing that I had fibromyalgia I was finally found a Doctor who sent me to a rheumatologist who diagnosed me in one visit with fibromyalgia. The doctor said I probably had it for a long time I was already taking amitriptyline for depression and for irritable bowel syndrome when the doctor told me that that would be a great medicine for me to try using for fibromyalgia but I had only been taking when I couldn’t sleep. I started taking it every night and my pain level has at least been cut in half, but taking the amitriptyline every night if you skip it it’s not effective you have to take it every night to be effective for fibromyalgia. I have never had any side effects or bad reactions to amitriptyline and I have been taking it for five years”

Nick · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

For Depression: “I don't think this med amitript working for me it's been 20 days I'm on medication and I barely noticed any change in my moods and I feel more sick , feel lost and heavy head”

Kris · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 4, 2020

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: “75 mg of amitriptyline a night has given me my life back from cyclic vomiting syndrome. I used to have CVS relapses every 6 to 8 weeks. Since starting amitriptyline, I have been vomit free for six months. I have occasional bouts of nausea here and there. But I am myself again. Cannot recommend this enough to help cyclic vomiting!”

Candace June 3, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Easter Sunday 2020 I woke up with a headache that lasted a month. I finally had an over the phone appointment with my doctor who said they were tension headaches. She prescribed these amitript to prevent them. I had no idea that they were also used for anxiety or depression. I have had both for years but refused to treat them as all of the SSRI’s I’ve tried made me feel terrible. I was nervous to try this for that exact reason but I was desperate for headache relief. The first couple days I felt a little out of it but that went away. Until one day I was outside throwing a ball around with my daughter and realized that I was actually enjoying my life for once in a long time. I sleep so well on these (even though that’s never really been an issue for me) and I just feel like I can enjoy things again instead of just waiting for activities to be over with. I’m really happy I ended up on this medication! I should mention my headaches have disappeared as well! Give it a try!”

Jp · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2020

For Neuropathic Pain: “I started having horrific tooth ache pain January 2020, had a root canal done but the pain still lingered horrifically, Even moving into different parts of my head and face. I took a variety of medications and nothing worked until I started taking 25mg of Amitriptyline at night. This pill has drastically changed my life. My pain is virtually non-existent, I’ve had no side effects, no weight gain. It has not increased my mood but has not worsened it. I still experience depression and anxiety, but I’ve struggled with that for many years. My dose recently has been bumped up to 50mg a night. If I miss a day, I usually have significant pain. Anyways, this pill is seriously a miracle. I was suffering so much before this pill came along.”

Mumof2 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 29, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I started using Endep and my mood was terrible I've never felt so much anger my life. I have stopped taking it now as depression was building and the doctor suggested coming off it. Other people I know find it great however I definitely did not see and improvement and side effects were terrible”

Happy Tummy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I still have yet to receive a solid diagnosis on why I am nauseated 24/7 but in the meantime amitriptyline has been a miracle drug. I know a few people who have also used it and experienced significant side effects, however, on 10mg I haven't noticed a single side effect. I went from puking daily, visiting the hospital every other week to eating literally anything I wanted. I have tried tecta, PPI's, probiotics, elimination diets, everything you can imagine. I can even drink coffee in the morning now!!! Literally changed my life, overnight. I now can work, without worrying about sick days. Please, please, take a chance with this. If it works for you, it's a miracle drug.”

LJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “As I increased my dose (very slowly) from 10 to 40mg I found my heart rate and blood pressure increased a lot. Yet I was also like a zombie. As I already have a heart condition the increased heart rate made that worse, so I had to wean myself back off it. Oh well, try something else for the pains I guess..”

Adama · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2020

For Depression: “I tried many different medications for depression and anxiety. SSRIs, Benzos were both epic fails and caused more problems than they were worth. When I moved and got a new doctor he reviewed all the past failure drugs and proposed amatriptline. A drug first approved in the early 1960s. After the very 1st dose of 10mg was a stunning improvement. I highly recommend those who are treatment resistance or have realized the MTHFR gene exists in them. For those who do not methylate folate. For me amitriptline was god send since suffering from Xanax ot benzo withdrawl. Amitriptline is $5 bucks copay not sure of retail but it will be cheap.”

Don · Taken for 10 years or more May 14, 2020

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: “Elavil is an OUTSTANDING DRUG for insomnia! Took 25mg 45 minutes before bed. Now after 20 years I take 50mg. Without it, I can’t sleep at all! I’d rate it a 15!”

Thankfulforelavil · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 12, 2020

For Depression: “I take 25mg Elavil to augment my Luvox and aide in sleep. I have very severe depression and sleep issues and this dosage works really well for me. It’s not strong enough to put me to sleep, but it helps me wind down. As an added bonus, it helps keep away my migraines and nerve pain. I’ve been on this medication for 2 years. My main side effects are weight gain (went from 115-135lbs in a year), nighttime eating, and an occasional dry mouth. Be warned. This medication makes you very hungry!”

sdgoop May 9, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “When I suddenly developed severe nausea/loss of appetite accompanied by severe acid reflux and abdominal cramps about a year ago, I thought I was sick with an acute illness. I could hardly eat for months. However, all the doctors I saw couldn't find anything particularly wrong with me, save some inflammation in my esophagus. I was at my wit's end after a particularly severe flare-up a few weeks ago, and my GI thought it might be a good idea to try a low-dose antidepressant, since most food intolerances had been ruled out. Within days on 10 mg, the cramps were mostly gone, and now, a few weeks later, the nausea is also gone and my appetite is back (with a vengeance). It's truly a miracle! The only downsides for me have been some mouth dryness and urine retention, both mild, and trouble falling asleep despite the drowsiness, which has been slightly more difficult to deal with.”

AA · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2020

For Insomnia: “I was taking 25mg for insomnia. It didn't work at all. I was still up until 2 or 3 am every night. I was still waking up in the middle of the night about 5 or 6 times between the time I fell asleep and when I woke up at 6 am.”

Vanessa May 4, 2020

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: “I have chronic nausea and vomiting from what my doctors believed to be GERD. But even while on 80mg daily of pantoprazole, I was still having intermittent issues with nausea. So my GI suggested amitriptyline. I started on 10mg for 2 days with little difference. So I went up to 20mg at night. That first day was great! I wasn’t nauseous, I had energy to play with my kids. But that second dose of 20mg made me feel horrible. Anxiety, shakiness and I couldn’t sleep. So I am stopping the medication. Come to find out (thankfully now rather than later) that this drug has a HORRIBLE withdrawal attached to it. So I’m glad I only have 4 days to detox from, but even this short stint with the drug is making me feel horrible. Continued shakes, anxiety and nausea. And it hasn’t even been a full 24 hours since my last dose yet. So if you plan on taking this medication be forewarned that you’re either going to be on it for the rest of your life or have a hell of a fight trying to come off.”

Gary R · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 4, 2020

For Neuropathic Pain: “I used amitriptyline for about 7 years. It was very helpful for sleep. But this is a "dirty old drug" according to my Phd wife. Over time I suffered constipation and dry mouth. The dry mouth destroyed my teeth enamel. So far my dental work has cost me $16,000 and counting. Beware of this!”

GG1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

For Neuropathic Pain: “Aimtriptyline is a great medication. After over 10 years taking strong pain killers as and when for neuropathic pain , I went to drs and said enough is enough , I want something else. I was prescribed this drug and it's amazing. One pill a day and I feel normal. I'm absolutely over the moon. However ..... There is usually a however ..... The dreaded weight gain , I've put on around 3 stone in around 4 months and no longer fit into my clothes. I walk 10,000 steps Monday to Friday and then walk for 3 hours Saturday and Sunday and the weight will not shift ( again like other people it's the stomach where the weight has accumulated). I'm now at a loss as I am so happy that I can do things without discomfort , however , it comes at a price , I've only been on the tablets for 4 months and I'm worried that I'll keep on gaining weight , so I'm telling myself that I'll have to come to a decision at the 6 month mark. Anyway - hope this review helps anybody as this site has really helped me.”

Lcrn · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have suffered from IBS-D Restated you’re anxiety since I was 21 (now 26). I self diagnosed and attempted to self treat but nothing worked. I’m not Someone who likes to take daily medication- I have ADHD and I rarely take my adderall. I originally went to the doc for headaches- I was having 15-20 headache days a month. My doc prescribed me Amitriptyline for 3 months. I was skeptical at first because I do not like taking daily mediation. I thought about it for a couple of days and decided to try it. IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE. I have had 9 headaches since taking it (I’m now starting my next 3 month round of it) my sleep has vastly improved and I started to notice in the first few weeks I was having regular bowel moments. I have never had “regular bowel movements” in my life. My anxiety level has drastically decreased and my IBS has basically disappeared. I highly recommend this medication for headaches, anxiety, IBS, sleep difficulties etc.”

Tara · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

For Depression: “Never shared before but wanted to give the hope that others have given to me, you can feel better , for me finding out as much as i can about the illness, counselling, diet and exercise and finding the anti depressant which works for you, In my case this is amytriptyline. Having suffered from depression on an unmanageable level without medication for the past 14 years , I have been tried on several SSRI, SNRIs and mirtazipine resulting in my loosing hope of feeling like my old self again. As a last resort the doctor agreed to try amytriptyline and within days of starting on a low dose of 10mg I seen some improvement, 2 months on I take 15mg before bed and am living a more content and peaceful life in body and mind. Don't give up.”

Vic May 1, 2020

For Insomnia: “Hi! I'm 57, healthy fit male. I struggle with insomnia and have since 2010. It got really bad, wouldn’t sleep consistently for 3-5 days at a time. On the 4th-5th day I’d fall asleep .. sleep for 6-7 hours and then do it all over again. My doc gave me Amitriptyline, 10 mgs. I sleep like a baby! And the dreams are incredible. However, at the 4th day mark I start feeling very achy, a bit depressed, and mentally groggy. I don’t “wake up” mentally until 1-2 pm the following day. (So, I just use it 2-3x week.) So, of the prescribed sleep drugs I’ve been given I do like Amitriptyline... it does help me sleep and the dreams are unreal! It’s like I’m in a wild, crazy, adventure movie every night! But, even at a very low dose it causes me to feel a bit depressed, groggy, brain fog, and achy. Oh, almost forgot. It increases my libido a wee bit (hence the wild dreams!) ;-) So, I use it sparingly .. 2-3x a week. Say hi! Share your thots. ”

Jello April 27, 2020

For Fibromyalgia: “I have tried Cymbalta and Lyrica for fibro pain...both caused severe cognitive fog & memory loss. Gabepentin didn't help the pain. Amitriptyline worked for the pain until I started gaining more and more weight. I have scoliosis and the weight gain was excruciating for me. So I guess I'm back to T3s every 4 hours. The only thing that seems to work for the pain and doesn't cause side effects.”

Sleepless · Taken for 10 years or more April 12, 2020

Endep (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: “I've been on endep since 2009 for insomnia I'm on 100mg a night and while I don't have any bad side effects it only works 95% of the time.”

Ehlers · Taken for 10 years or more March 24, 2020

Endep (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: “25-75mg. Have taken endep on & off for years with great results. It’s definitely my go-to medication for insomnia. Have never noticed any relief with my nerve pain though.”

Mera · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 22, 2020

For Interstitial Cystitis: “(amitriptyline help a lot with severe pain and burning from interstitial cystitis (IC)”