User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 789 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 3 reviews 0 medications

5.3
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 913 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Pain: "Started taking 10mg at night, around 7pm. After two weeks I began taking 20mg, this knocked me out and I took a long time the next day to recoverm. I spoke to my GP who suggested that I take 10mg only for another 2 weeks.Then I started taking 20mg around 3pm.This works fine. Along with Physiotherapy, my back pain level has reduced from 10 to around 4. So keep trying them until you find the dose that suits you. It is now time to wean myself off them. GP suggests that I go back to 10mg, and then after 2 weeks reduce to 10mg every other day, until you are off, this takes around a month. Good luck all, with your pain management."

1234567allgoodchildrengotoheav June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I've been on these meds for just over 2 weeks for nerve pain they don't help me sleep I'm on 10 mg a day and I can't seem to control my self tearful constant hunger I'm just horrible to every one and really don't care I think I might stop them as I don't like who I'm changing into ,very low moods ."

Lilyalan (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Miracle drug suffered for many years with depression and stress since prescribed I love a normal life again."

Waymagg June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I've haven't noticed any help in pain with this medication thus far. I am taking 25 mg the only thing I've noticed is that my sleep is actually worse I am sleeping less and staying more tired during the day even though I'm taking it at night. I'm really starting to think nothing is going to help my pain "

Taking for fibromyalgia June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I had migraines for 11+ years. It took probably 7 years to finally find sumatriptan for abortion of acute attack which would happen 2-6 times a week. I would react to weather, stress, lack of sleep, 3-d movies... u name it. Once I started PA school due to stress migraines became almost daily thing and it would debilitate my life and studying to the point I couldn't not stand anymore. Since I have insomnia for many years Amitryptiline sounded superior to other options and I started taking 10 mg before going to sleep. It's my week 3 with all possible triggers and absolutely zero migraines! I am so happy I cant even believe it worked so well. I only had one small headache ( which used to be often too). And I definitely fall asleep better !"

Silvertoy1 June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Why wasn't I given this medication long ago. Works great for me don't have one little bit of anxiety anymore except when I forget to take it lol it's helped me a lot I do more exercise can get out more and enjoy life and I'm not stuck at home anymore being anxious about things hope this helps other people with the same problem."

Inked75 June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "So you live in horrible pain and I was since 1988. Since 1988! 29 years of agony. Endless worthless 'specialists'. I cannot tell you this unless the 'broken neck' ( as I call it, that's how it felt). I need you to understand how it was. I would have chose cancer over this endless pain. I read about aimtrip for pain. I said let's try amitriptyline. Quietly and without fanfare, this drug came to me. My pain is completely gone. If you have endless pain, ask your doctor to give you this drug."

bootcampjoe (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "For 10 years I've had the most severe chronic Hemiplegic and classic migraines. The condition robbed my life. I tried Topamax, Effexor, but they were awful. I felt worse. Then I took this and the effect was immediate. My years of pain, gone...migraines attacks, down 95%. I swear by it."

IndigoReb (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I took Trazadone for depression and insomnia. Stopped taking it, because my weight would not go down and I was always depressed and "out of it". Started taking Amitriptyline I feel full of energy and not depressed. I also sleep better. I have lost 10 pounds since I started taking it 2 weeks ago. Everyone is different, so please consult your Doctor or Pharmacist. I take 25 mg at night."

EvaMB (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Chronic Myofascial Pain: "Been taking for pain in right side of my face. 1st month I would wake up like a Zombie now after 6 months I am fine. Pills don't work the same for everyone."

losier (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Wanted to share this with everyone. I was given this mediation 6 years ago. I had a lot of problems like fibromyalgia, migraines, depression, insomnia, IBS -C. I was taken a lot of different meds for all these problems, but nothing worked. When I was first put on this medication at 25mg I could sleep for the first time in years. I was waking up on the morning refreshed and happy. I noticed about 6 months later my migraines were not as often as I normally would have them. As time went on I needed my meds to be increased. I now take 150mg. This drug is a life saver. My fibromyalgia pain is less, migraines less, anxiety way less and it also improved my IBS C symptoms. I would recommend this Medication to anyone with any of these problem"

Dolphinlver June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed 20mg per night for insomnia , anxiety and panic attacks . After taking it for only a few days I felt 100% better . I'm sleeping so much better , no anxiety and no more panic attacks . I have a lot more energy as I'm sleeping now and feel altogether much healthier . I love it ."

Anonymous June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Keep you from wanting to kill yourself make you feel more comfortable just meadows you out keeps me from having back flashing. First time I didn't like bad side affects the Dr gave me 50mg a day but I take 50mg bed time then I cut pill in half late morning and early evening. First time taking make you sleep really good. I have know side affect. I like keeps you calm"

Grratfostbyji June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "It helps tremendously"

Hellenawatson coss June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "I was given this medication to help my daily chronic headaches. Started it a little over a month ago. Three days in I had one of the worst headaches ever. After that the headaches started to diminish. I now have weakness and loss of feeling in my hands arms and legs and feet, seizure activity, confusion, and sleeping all the time. I don't feel like myself and I'm super miserable all the time. Dr doesn't want to take me off this medication but I cannot live life like this. I don't recommend this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "After probably a little less than 2 weeks I started having auditory and visual hallucinations at night. It also hasn't really improved my sleep or helped my fibro pain. It has significant worsened my depression and possibly worsened my anxiety which I somewhat expected while my body adjusted to the medication change but I cannot deal with the hallucinations and am planning on changing it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Hi, I am sharing my opinion with maximum respect to all readers and based only on my own experience. I've had migraine almost all my life. I am 44. My migraine was 50% pain and 50% mood change (which was terrible or even worse than the pain). This has been deeply affecting my quality of life, my relations (mood changes) and also at work. The last neurologist I visited put me on Amitriptyline 25mg. The medicine helped a bit reducing the frequency of the migraines. However migraines came back and the last attack lasted for 3 weeks. He changed the dose to 50 mg. I am now 71 days without migraine and still counting. I am a new person and I wish my comment may help others."

PedroSG May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I was only prescribed amitriptyline a week ago. I used it for the first time on Monday night and my experience was horrible. I felt like I had no control over my body, it really was a trip. I felt almost paranoid because of it and the dry mouth (which my doctor warned me about) was unpleasant. I made up my mind that I would rather go back to Xanax or lorazepam for my Depression and recently diagnosed PTSD."

LeeDee723 May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been talking amitriptyaline for migraine prevention for the past year and it has completely improved the quality of my life! "

Sirius111111 May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I have had insomnia, anxiety and migraines since I was 7 years old (I'm 47). I've been taking 10mg every night for the past 7 months to prevent migraines and it has helped immensely. Migraines have virtually stopped (previously migraines were almost daily). Insomnia has gone - this was an unexpected positive side effect. Anxiety seems to have improved but this could be because of not being in pain and sleeping well. I don't seem to be suffering from any side effects and I'm usually very sensitive to medication. Perhaps a little groggy in the morning like a normal person - coffee fixes it."

Smoking Alpaca May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I'm always super nervous about taking new meds. So before I do, I always check up online to see other's experience with it. I saw a lot of really negative stuff about amitriptyline. I have to say, I was happily surprised with the outcome. I get really good, heavy sleep and even after the first dose I noticed less anxiety and a happier mood, which is only getting better day by day. This med, along with yoga, lots of meditation, calming teas, and a healthy diet can truly go a long way if you're sincerely dedicated. 10/10 from me. Good luck!"

Miriamislame May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "Started at 10 mg up to 25mg. Doesn't help pain but I do sleep better. Extremely dry mouth and skin since I began 2 months ago. Not sure if the sleep is worth the sore dry mouth and skin that when I rub it, snows dead skin cells everywhere."

Ikimmi (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Depression: "I was prescribed Elavil for depression and migraine prevention. After taking only two 10mg doses of elavil, I had a severe manic episode. (Note: I am not bi-polar.) I was shaking, pacing, unable to sleep, talking a mile a minute but making no sense, full of anxiety and rage, unable to eat or keep anything down and in a total panic. My husband took me to the ER when my heart rate went through the roof and I became short of breath. The hospital kept me overnight on a heart monitor and gave me sedatives to calm me down. My doctor wants me to try another medication but I am terrified at the prospect. Honestly, I'd rather be depressed and have migraines than try another anti depressant. One bad experience was ENOUGH."

MigraineMisery (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "I'm 27 years old and have been to the doctors many many times. I've had nausea, vomiting, weight loss and headaches/migraines, for over a year now. I'll have a few days to a week with no symptoms and then they come right back. I've had appointments with gastroenterologist and have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done. I've been to the hospital on a few occasions due to my vomiting. Doctors still don't know whats wrong. They have put me on acid reflex medications, which don't help much. I have talked to my doctor about the possibility of me having CVS. He hasn't said that's what I have but prescribed me Amitriptyline. Just started it yesterday... Hope it works. Close to losing my job if I cant get this under control....."

Mrs.K.Horne (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "My Dr prescribed 10mg Amitriptyline/day for chronic migraines (daily with no apparent cause) and I managed to last 5 days on the meds. I had horrible dizziness, was lightheaded whenever I stood up, had the weirdest dreams (to the point where I did not want to go to sleep and face whatever dream/nightmare that was waiting for me) and on the last night I took them I had such terrible stomach pain that it woke me up and my mother almost took me to the ER because I nearly blacked out from the pain when I got up to go to the washroom. The meds also didn't actually help with my migraine situation. Based off of my reactions to other medications, I would say that I'm particularly prone to side effects so they may/may not happen to you."

UltimateProcrastinator (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017