User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Amitriptyline has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 1,456 ratings on Drugs.com. 68% of those users who reviewed Amitriptyline reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Migraine Prevention  Off-label
Neurotic Depression
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 7.5 1,456 reviews

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Pavin · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2021

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: “I was vomiting once per month for a week straight for almost an entire year. I went from about 190 lbs to 138 lbs and was ready to die. I had been to the hospital 4x and no drug or testing would help. I had every possible test available. Finally, on my last ER visit the doc prescribed amitriptyline. I stopped vomiting now for 4 /12 months and gained all my weight back (very hard to do as a diabetic!). I recently tried to quit the amitriptyline and within 2 days my symptoms came back. Looks like I may have to use it for life. Luckily it is only $8 a month.”

Gussly · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was literally suicidal before I started this medication. I fought having to take it and now I wish I'd taken it sooner. It has quite literally saved my life. I am very sensitive to medication so I started on 2.5mg and crept it up to 5 mg. I am at least 90% better! I absolutely fully recommend giving this drug a chance if you get to the point where not living is feeling like your only escape. I was scared but I need not have been. Very mild side effects...slight weakness and tiredness at first and a headache for a few days.”

Hebba April 28, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I was taking this for my balance disorders, MdDS, VM & PPPD & also my OCD. As this drug helps with migraine and some balance disorders. No SSRI types had worked for me. Worked up to 10mg for 3 months. It helped with - (Once got through the side effects of each increase).I had facial pain & migraine pain. Gave me deep sleep. Evened out moods. Eventually helped OCD. The pay off - Deep sleep with shocking dreams. Constant hot sweats. Zombie brain not able to finish sentences at times. Each increase in dose caused extreme anxiety & OCD for at least a week. Lowered sex drive .Felt little joy, laughing etc & low motivation. Could not have any alcohol due to dizziness. Mornings no energy. Constant fatigue. Increase in MdDS symptoms at night. Felt faint on standing sometimes. Clumsy as anything. Trouble urinating with each increase & heart palpitations. I’m now coming down. Not worth the side effects. With each decrease I get a few days of fatigue, dizziness, aches & pains, nausea & diarrhoea.”

TOFLA December 1, 2019

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: “This drug has been so helpful, I suffered for panic attack, social phobia and anxiety for over 15 years, I started amitriptyline 7 weeks ago and my life has since changed, I can express myself in public, no more panic attack nor anxiety. I really thank my GOD and appreciate this platform which is so encouraging. I should also say that I got inspired from other people who were sharing their experiences on this platform. I'll definitely rate this drug 10/10. No side effects. I an so thankful”

Hsgwgus · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “amitriptyline changed my life. Been on many AD all SSRIS made me feel awful, couldn't think properly, numb. With amitriptyline I've had none of that, can think clearly. SSRIs helped me not have such obsessive thoughts, haven't found that with amitriptyline so I have to work in therapy to help my thoughts but means my brain isn't mush like on SSRIs. I have issues around attachment, some BPD traits, when starting amitriptyline I was the worst ever. Everyday was consumed with uncontrollable fear of abandonment, I was in a state of constant panic. 4/5 months in my life is totally different. Rarely feel panic or anxiety, emotions are more regulated, I'm happy. Amitriptyline wasn't recommended to me. I had to do the research + then ask my doctor. - : heart rate, sometimes weird eye twitch. Hope this helps someone out there, it will get better. Really sucks but we deserve a fulfilling life + suffering means we understand + can advocate for others with mental illness”

JEB 38M · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2020

For Depression: “6 WEEKS Give this medicine a chance, I did not see any results week 1, week 2, week 3, week 4, then began to notice the fog lift week 5. I had tried paxil ,cymbalta,effexor,wellbutrin,celexa,citalopram,escitalopram,buspirone,trintellix,viibryd (worked for 1month),abilify (worked for 1 month). Some are duplicates (generic). Even tried suboxone it worked for almost 1 year. Amitryptyline sedating effects don't exactly wear off. They completely go away and its almost like the sedative effects slowly transform into energy and wellbeing which I think is good because while its sedating it allows your body to rest and repair itself while catching up on sleep. Don't hold me to this and it might just be an aberrant few good days. I will follow up with some more info in a few weeks. Please pray for me if you are reading this as I pray you and anyone who is struggling with that hopelessness that we all know too well.”

Candace June 3, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Easter Sunday 2020 I woke up with a headache that lasted a month. I finally had an over the phone appointment with my doctor who said they were tension headaches. She prescribed these amitript to prevent them. I had no idea that they were also used for anxiety or depression. I have had both for years but refused to treat them as all of the SSRI’s I’ve tried made me feel terrible. I was nervous to try this for that exact reason but I was desperate for headache relief. The first couple days I felt a little out of it but that went away. Until one day I was outside throwing a ball around with my daughter and realized that I was actually enjoying my life for once in a long time. I sleep so well on these (even though that’s never really been an issue for me) and I just feel like I can enjoy things again instead of just waiting for activities to be over with. I’m really happy I ended up on this medication! I should mention my headaches have disappeared as well! Give it a try!”

Golden girl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 3, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I started Amitriptyline (Endep) for IBS-D that was mainly triggered by anxiety but sometimes food also. After trialing SSRI’s and having no luck, I did some online research and noticed the older anti depressants helped regulate gut mobility. I asked my doctor if I could trial them so I did. At first I noticed the deep sleep but also the lack of that “spaced out” feeling you get with the newer antidepressants, I actually just felt like myself. After about 3 months on 20mg, I slowly week by week increased the dose to 50mg and that was my perfect fit, no more anxiety attacks or running to the bathroom due to fight or flight cortisol throwing my gut into spasms. I’m able to go out, have fun and not worry about IBS at all. If you are suffering from IBS that stems from or has led to anxiety, give this drug a try and don’t be scared to increase the dose till you find the perfect fit for yourself, you’ll get your life back!! Good luck!!”

katie123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “So I've struggled with severe anxiety and depression for the majority of my teens/young adult years. During my first year of university however, I experienced severe anxiety to a point where I spent all of my time in my bedroom, even going to the coffee shop next to my house was too hard. I decided to go to my doctor and then she prescribed me fluoxetine (prozac) 20 mg. I experienced minor relief in my anxiety and extreme depression and suicidal thoughts. I was on that medication for 3 months when I finally decided to stop. My doctor switched me to amitriptyline and during the first week or two I felt no benefits and was constantly groggy. Then, during the first week, I started feeling not only huge relief in my anxiety but I no longer felt depressed!! I am able to live my life, go out with friends, spend time with family, do well at work and SO MUCH MORE. Best medication hands down. Give it a couple weeks, you won't regret it.”

JJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 26, 2020

Endep (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: “My doctor suggested I take Endep 25mg after being diagnosed with Crohn’s. I had been very sick for months and not coping very well. The first week of taking it I was rather spaced out but that was all. My day 7 my nausea was 80% gone, I was sleeping like a baby at night and I was dealing with the stress in my life a lot better. I have been on it for 7 months now and I don’t think I would have gotten through this year without it. The old me would have been having panic attacks and catastrophic thinking over the bush fires and Covid but thanks to Endep I have been able to stay calm and reasonable. I haven’t experienced any negative side effects at all. I guess if anything I can’t get up in the night to my kids bc I’m so deeply asleep but that ok because it just means dad has to get up. Haha”

Sleeping again January 24, 2014

For Insomnia: “I was just put on 50 mg of amitriptyline for extreme insomnia, anxiety, and depression. I have suffered from insomnia my entire life and my job is very stressful as a nurse working rotating shift at a hospital. I would stay up for 3 days at a time while working crazy 12 hour back to back shifts. I was at my wit's end, so exhausted, delirious, and beyond stressed. I have tried so many different medicines to help with sleep and anxiety. None have even come anywhere as close as Amitriptyline has, to giving me good sleep. I had lost hope that I would ever be able to sleep good again. Amitriptyline has SAVED me. I can fall asleep easily, I don't wake up every hour, and I sleep like a BABY! I can now function at work again. This medicine saved me.”

Dubbs · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I was prescribed 20 mg amitriptyline for sleep stress and anxiety and within two days of taking it I found I sleep deeply wake happy and have not got the anxiety I had before. I still have a few seconds of what if thinking but then it passes. I have ehlers danlos and fibro and M. E and this is the best drug I've tried.”

Babsy February 23, 2018

For Depression: “I normally don't write reviews and it's been over 3 years since I had a depressive episode, but I wanted to post something to let people know that there is always hope. I had a major depressive episode and couldn't sleep. I tried SSRIs and other antidepressants that either didn't work or caused side effects too great to tolerate. I was prescribed amitriptyline and I went back to my old self. I did have side effects such as weight gain and increased heart rate but these calmed down after a few months so worth waiting it out. My sleep returned first and it was restful and refreshing. Then my mood improved along with the anxiety. I was at desperation point by the time I went onto amitriptyline and I remember googling forums like this to help me maintain hope. The sad thing about depression is that it takes away the hope that you'll ever get better or lead a "normal" life again. I wanted to post this because I did get better, I returned to work and I resumed my life as it was before.”

NikiMik · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2019

For Depression: “I had the darkest 5+ years of my life and was certain that nothing could help me get out of the black hole in which I lived. Because I was also having problems with insomnia my doctor added 15 mg of this medicine amitriptyline. It has saved my life. I don’t know how to say that loud enough and with enough emphasis and drama because, just 12 days ago, quite honestly death was looking like a better option than living the tiny dark life that I was existing within. My only fear is that this will be short lived. Overall I’m sleeping so much better, I’m thinking better, I’m not anxious or paranoid about the plethora of things I am accustomed to being anxious about. I literally was able to accomplish so much today — and I was focused, made decisions without fear, was on-time, didn’t have to make excuses, and was light hearted and I guess “normal”.”

Tara · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

For Depression: “Never shared before but wanted to give the hope that others have given to me, you can feel better , for me finding out as much as i can about the illness, counselling, diet and exercise and finding the anti depressant which works for you, In my case this is amytriptyline. Having suffered from depression on an unmanageable level without medication for the past 14 years , I have been tried on several SSRI, SNRIs and mirtazipine resulting in my loosing hope of feeling like my old self again. As a last resort the doctor agreed to try amytriptyline and within days of starting on a low dose of 10mg I seen some improvement, 2 months on I take 15mg before bed and am living a more content and peaceful life in body and mind. Don't give up.”

Happy Tummy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I still have yet to receive a solid diagnosis on why I am nauseated 24/7 but in the meantime amitriptyline has been a miracle drug. I know a few people who have also used it and experienced significant side effects, however, on 10mg I haven't noticed a single side effect. I went from puking daily, visiting the hospital every other week to eating literally anything I wanted. I have tried tecta, PPI's, probiotics, elimination diets, everything you can imagine. I can even drink coffee in the morning now!!! Literally changed my life, overnight. I now can work, without worrying about sick days. Please, please, take a chance with this. If it works for you, it's a miracle drug.”

Figgs95 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 20, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have been taking low dose (10-20mg) of amitriptyline at night right before bed for the past 8 months & it has worked amazingly well for me and my stress / anxiety. Was originally prescribed this for nerve pain in the throat due to LPR/acid reflux symptoms such as constantly clearing my throat & hoarseness. It has worked great for this as my throat pain is down 90% after only 8 months. These symptoms in turn caused me anxiety & depression and the medicine also helped tremendously with that as well. I get a great sleep every night and the only real side effects worth noting would be dry mouth so make sure you use a good mouthwash such as therabreath drymouth. Tiredness at times and weird dreams sometimes but that just may be me. I highly recommend trying 10mg before bed if you have any of these symptoms and move up to 20mg after a week if you find it really helps you.”

Thomas · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 23, 2019

For Insomnia: “Been on 25mg Amitriptyline for about a year now for chronic insomnia as my doctor did not want me dependent on the "z drugs" or benzos. The Amitriptyline works well but the issue I have is when I try to give it up to see if I can sleep naturally without it I simply can't not matter how relaxed I feel. So after a couple of nights of no sleep at all I end up going back to taking the Amitriptyline. I hate being reliant on a drug to sleep but I guess it's better than not sleeping.”

Kcouston90 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 7, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I’m on 150mg amitriptyline a night. Never had an issue. Take them at 7pm go to bed 9/10 don’t wake up groggy and still drive to work the next day. Taking them one night and expecting some amazing cure is a complete joke. Every drug takes time to work.”

feelgoodgal · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2013

For Pain: “I have been on Amitriptyline for only 5 days for chronic low back and leg pain that has plagued me for years, to the point of sleep and work related disruptions. I've popped a zillion pain killers and anti-inflammatories. Now taking only 10 mg of this medicine at night, no other medicines, and I feel better than I have in years, am virtually pain free and feel very energetic. I'd say it's a miracle. I wish it had been prescribed years ago.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “I don’t recommend this drug to anyone! I’ve been on it for almost 3 weeks now and I feel more anxious and easily irritated/aggressive towards others 24-7! I have had severe heart palpitations and anxiety, hot flashes, chest tightness, dizziness and fatigue. I’m 35 years old and this medication is horrible!”

Jimbo · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I’ve been on this amitriptyline for about 6 months - @ a dose of 25mg (anxiety and stress). Ever since starting it my heart rate has gone up to tachycardic levels and also my bp is up. So now I’m on bp meds, and may have to take a beta blocker for my heart rate! Has anyone else had these symptoms?”

TM40 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 11, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I have been having severe migraines and tension headaches all my life (18 - 20 per month). I then switched family doctors to a new doctor who sent me for a CAT Scan and prescribed 10MG Amitriptyline after he saw the scan's results. The migraines and headaches disappeared instantly and it has been a year now. I only have the dry mouth side effect.”

Dawn4373 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2017

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: “It got rid of mine! Tried many meds over the years with various side effects. This is the only one that got rid of my anxiety and depression and gave me no side effects. Not to mention I sleep better on it. I was out of it the first few days until I got used to it and now I can't even tell I am taking something except that I have no anxiety, panic attacks or depression anymore. It was a game changer for me. I feel like a new, normal person again. I highly recommend trying it.”

Wendals · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 20, 2015

For Pain: “I suffered with extreme leg pain for two years only when I was lying down. I was on Panadol (No good) then Tramadol (No good) I had so many sleepless nights or nights where I had to sleep sitting up. I was fine walking around but the moment I laid down the pain started. My doctor put me on Amitriptyline 10mg and after a week of being on it I have had no pain at all and sleep all night. I have been on it for just over a year. Happy person.”

30yr male · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “In the beginning amitriptyline was a terrible drug me. I took it once during a pretty bad period of anxiety, about 30mg, and it just took me from anxious to being confused and emotionally passive. So I thought it was not for me. Then I started taking 5mg for pain after some pain in my shoulder combined with migraine attacks. And not only did it help me sleep at night, it started doing wonders for my anxiety. So I think if you manage to power thru the drowsy period when you get used to it, it's actually a really great drug with few side effects. I used to swear to gabapentin, but amitriptyline has proven so much better actually. It has reduced my need for so many other drugs, and I've gotten my brain function back due to less heavier drugs. It also has made me need medication less often, which eventually is what you want.”

happycamper83 September 13, 2013

For Pain: “I've been on this medicine for a week now, and its changed my life. I have been suffering with chronic nerve pain, severe depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, and borderline personality disorder for a very long time. Now I am sleeping well, feeling cheery, no suicidal thoughts, anger, less pain, no anxiety, or obsessions. Its a miracle, to alleviate pretty much all of my issues and I'm only on 10-20mg at night. No side effects.”

Anx no more · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 24, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: “I suffered with anxiety for years and have tried many many SSRIs as well as benzos. Nothing really helped. I was put on this med for migraines and within a couple of weeks my anxiety began to melt away. My friends and family noticed a huge difference. I feel like a different person. Like I am living the life I always wanted to live, I was just always too afraid and anxious to before.”