User Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome

Amitriptyline has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 36 ratings for the treatment of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. 83% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.4/10 average rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Barry G June 14, 2014

“Have been on Amitrip for three years now and haven't had a cyclic vomiting syndrome episode. My gastro doctor tried as last resort and it works. 25 mg at bedtime my bouts started like clock work at 8 am. My last episode lasted from June 18th to July 4th. 3 different hospital stays. My weight went from 235 lbs to 180 lbs. Thought my life was ending. I was skeptical that this pill at bedtime would do anything. But I couldn't have been more wrong, it saved my life so for anyone reading this please try this treatment and I hope you are as lucky as me. I am 57 years old.”

Pavin · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2021

“I was vomiting once per month for a week straight for almost an entire year. I went from about 190 lbs to 138 lbs and was ready to die. I had been to the hospital 4x and no drug or testing would help. I had every possible test available. Finally, on my last ER visit the doc prescribed amitriptyline. I stopped vomiting now for 4 /12 months and gained all my weight back (very hard to do as a diabetic!). I recently tried to quit the amitriptyline and within 2 days my symptoms came back. Looks like I may have to use it for life. Luckily it is only $8 a month.”

Cka · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 13, 2019

“amitriptyline is a miracle drug! I developed functional dypepsia, vomiting, diarrhea, and a bad taste in my mouth after a night of food poisoning! For four months I was in misery. Got down to 95 lbs. I was desperate for an answer. My gastro suggested I try Elavil at 25 mg. I was very skeptical and scared it wouldn’t work. Within 3 weeks it was working and took away all symptoms. I’m now able to eat again. I can even have coffee and wine, again. I thank God every single day. Don’t be afraid to try this. It works!!!!”

Melissa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 18, 2021

“This is a miracle drug. I’ve had cyclic vomiting for 3 years. I started amitriplyine about a year ago, I went off of it because I thought I didn’t need it. I had an episode for over a week. Now back on amytriplyine and no more nausea and pain.”

Kris · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 4, 2020

“75 mg of amitriptyline a night has given me my life back from cyclic vomiting syndrome. I used to have CVS relapses every 6 to 8 weeks. Since starting amitriptyline, I have been vomit free for six months. I have occasional bouts of nausea here and there. But I am myself again. Cannot recommend this enough to help cyclic vomiting!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 14, 2013

“I had my first episode of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome about 3.5 years ago. It was sometime until the doctors and I figured out what it actually was. Nonstop throwing up for 2-6 days about once a month. What made them severe I guess was the amount of vomiting. A few times I had double I.V's because they could not rehydrate me as fast as the vomiting was dehydrating me. If you have CVS and are reading this I just want to say I am truly sorry. It was a miserable and emotional ride for me and the people that care about me. I can truly say I feel your pain and I pray that you find peace. I fought the doctors about taking this but when I finally gave in, IT WORKED. Not one episode since then (about 1 year and 6 months). I was skeptical at first BUT IT WORKED! 25MG.”

Vanessa May 4, 2020

“I have chronic nausea and vomiting from what my doctors believed to be GERD. But even while on 80mg daily of pantoprazole, I was still having intermittent issues with nausea. So my GI suggested amitriptyline. I started on 10mg for 2 days with little difference. So I went up to 20mg at night. That first day was great! I wasn’t nauseous, I had energy to play with my kids. But that second dose of 20mg made me feel horrible. Anxiety, shakiness and I couldn’t sleep. So I am stopping the medication. Come to find out (thankfully now rather than later) that this drug has a HORRIBLE withdrawal attached to it. So I’m glad I only have 4 days to detox from, but even this short stint with the drug is making me feel horrible. Continued shakes, anxiety and nausea. And it hasn’t even been a full 24 hours since my last dose yet. So if you plan on taking this medication be forewarned that you’re either going to be on it for the rest of your life or have a hell of a fight trying to come off.”

happy healthy girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2014

“I've had cyclical vomiting syndrome for about a year and a half and was diagnosed about two months ago, as soon as I was diagnosed I was put on amitriptyline. The only side effect I have noticed is a bit of sleepiness, but not enough to really affect my life. Amitriptyline has given me back my quality of life and I've started uni and am looking for part time work, this would never have been possible before being on amitriptyline.”

Ben35 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 25, 2018

“After years of testing and misdiagnosis, it was finally discovered that I have cyclic vomiting syndrome. My doctor was not well versed in the condition and was reluctant to try any treatment and just said "There's nothing you can do about it." I did my own research and after I again conveyed how traumatic a CVS episode was, he agreed to try prescribing me Amitriptyline in a low dose. I've been symptom free ever since! I had lost all hope and words can't express what a relief it was to not be nauseated constantly. Only bad side effect was it makes me extremely tired, especially in the mornings (I take it at bedtime). It also sometimes made me feel "blah" personality wise, like I was kind of sedated. Minor problem was it gave me dry mouth in the beginning.”

Child suffering · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 25, 2014

“My daughter was diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome at age 10, she lost 13 lb on a few week time frame. She had a EGD and other test. The doctor then prescribed Amitriptyline 25 mg at bedtime if helped. She stayed on it the entire school year, we then took her off of it for the summer. Things were going great until this week and she has had to episodes we will be starting her back on it today. We also use Zofran as needed.”

CristianV · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2018

“I've been suffering from CVS for over 10 years and like most people who suffer from this condition, my life has been a combination of consistent pain mixed with violent vomiting episodes on a regular basis (mine were happening about 3 times per month, sometimes it would be worse). After having tried tons of medications, my doctor finally put me on Amitriptyline 25mg and it has been the biggest life change I've had since this condition started. I am able to go sleep nice and sound and my pain is not there anymore. It has also opened my appetite and for some reason I am always thirsty now. Not a bad thing as I wasn't able to drink a lot of water for fear of starting an episode. This medication has been a life changer and I would suggest anyone who has an uncontrolled case of CVS to suggest this as a treatment option to your Dr.”

chez12 · Taken for 10 years or more November 12, 2012

“I started with cyclic vomiting syndrome when I was 14, and was in out of hospital for years. It got to the point I suffered with an episode every week with only 3 days in between, until I was 22. I then saw a doctor that had heard of CVS, and he prescribed Amitriptyline every night and Zofran when an episode started, since then, now I'm 32, I have not had an episode. I still take Amitriptyline every night but it has defiantly stopped CVS and is a miracle for me.”

glow1242 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2012

“After vomiting for 3-4 days solid, every 4/5 weeks for 6/7 months (starting at age 45), went to see consultant Doctor. Underwent brain scan etc. to rule out any other causes to the vomiting, diagnosed as cyclic vomiting syndrome and started 10mg amitriptyline a day. Cured! No vomiting for 3 months now, brilliant!”

Brooklynchase August 30, 2013

“I have been sick for over 4 years now and been on this for the past 2 weeks and its been a miracle. I haven't been sick or in pain once. I don't mean I just vomit, I start and I can't stop for 19 of 30 days. So far the minute I took one, that night I have been more relaxed and less sick have been able to cut down my oxycodone and Zofran so I am thankful. I will let you know how it continues to go but so far its my miracle.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 19, 2014

“I was diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome almost 2 years ago. I have been on Amitriptyline for about a year and a half. I recently went off because I ran out of refills and my insurance changed making a specialist visit expensive. Within a week I was extremely nauseous. The doctor called me in more and I started talking it again. Within a few days it went away. I am so thankful for this medication.”

Audrey June 6, 2019

“I suffer from many things such as lupus, scoliosis, migraines, cyclical vomiting syndrome, depression/anxiety. I am frequently put in the hospital due to my CVS - not being able to stop throwing up to the point where I vomit blood, get extremely dehydrated and suffer from extreme/painful nausea. Recently my Dr. put me on Amitriptyline to help with my chronic nausea, headaches and depression. Before this I was on Zoloft. Since being put on Amitriptyline (it's only been 2 months) I have gained quite a bit of weight. I have also been suffering from EXTREME belly bloat and insanely vivid nightmares. My mood has not changed or gotten any better. I know this drug helps a lot of people sleep but this does not have the same effect on me. It has also not helped with my nausea whatsoever. I am tapering off of this awful medicine and am going back to my Zoloft until I find something better.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2013

“Began having Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome in November 2012. Hospitalized several times. We also found that I have a vestibular issue causing me to throw up. That has resolved but left with this CVS. I started taking this medication about 3 weeks ago and I think it helps. Started 30mg dose and had an episode so increasing to 40mg and holding, if I get sick I can increase to 50mg. I am struggling with anxiety, which I had before this all started. Increase anxiety to severe state as I never know if this vomiting thing is going to come back. Overall, it works. Side effects are not bad at all. Anxiety is almost unbearable, which is not a side effect of this medication. I think it is a side effect of having CVS.”

Mrs.K.Horne · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2017

“I'm 27 years old and have been to the doctors many many times. I've had nausea, vomiting, weight loss and headaches/migraines, for over a year now. I'll have a few days to a week with no symptoms and then they come right back. I've had appointments with gastroenterologist and have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done. I've been to the hospital on a few occasions due to my vomiting. Doctors still don't know whats wrong. They have put me on acid reflex medications, which don't help much. I have talked to my doctor about the possibility of me having CVS. He hasn't said that's what I have but prescribed me Amitriptyline. Just started it yesterday... Hope it works. Close to losing my job if I cant get this under control.....”

CESDDS September 22, 2017

“I have had cyclic vomiting for five years and nothing seemed to work. Anytime I was in a social situation, or somewhere new, or had something stressful going on (the list goes on and on), nothing seemed to help. I was also taking 4-5 meds just for CVS alone. Once I was prescribed this med, everything changed. I am finally back to my old self and can eat food without worrying about nausea/vomiting. I am so thankful for this med!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2012

Elavil (amitriptyline): “I really like this medicine because it calms my nerves right down. I am now entering week 3 of a rather bad episode of cyclic vomiting syndrome. (Started 5/3/12) but any how when I can keep them down these are the best for my nerves and reasonably priced as well.”

Char Channelle March 16, 2021

“What an awful experience since March 2020 I became so so sick consistently sick every single day no anti sickness from the doctor would help. Many many hospital trips IV fluids bloods taken I was still violently sick. I went from 9 stone to 7 stone and honestly thought I was never going to have a quality of life again, I couldn’t take care of my daughter. Amitriptyline has been my life saver I’m nearly a week in with no sickness for the first time in a year! 10mg a night. They do make me super sleepy but so far so good!”

Anonymous October 8, 2011

“We find this medication one of our lifesavers. My son began Cyclic vomiting syndrome when he was 5 years old. Started out with a bang and he would spend one week per month in the hospital for over a year and a half. We did finally resort to both a G and J Tube. One for nutrition and one to bypass the stomach during episodes to give medicines, fluids and nutrition. However, we use the Elavil every night and use Ativan as well as Zofran during an active cycle or right when we see one coming on to abort as well as loads of fluids. We have tried to experiment and "see" what happens without the Elavil and it was bad. Within a week of not having it, right on the money comes an active Episode. My son is now 13, we still have the Tubes in place and use all the medicines listed.”

Peanutsmom05 · Taken for 10 years or more March 24, 2016

“I'm am 35 years old. My CVS showed its ugly head when I turned 21. Now I look back at my childhood and I see some signs. Took me a long time to get diagnosed but was pretty much confirmed when 10mg of Amitriptyline compleatly stopped my cycle. I had been on and off it for years. Recently after moving to a new state it seems I am now always on it. In 7 years I went from 25mg to starting today 100mg. This drug really is a life saver but I'm getting concerned I'm going to get to the max dose and have to find something else. I also take 5mg lexapro for irritability. My side effects have been dry mouth and weight gain. Which I don't mind for getting my life back.”

Anne · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2018

“Amitriptyline is a lifesaver. After throwing up for a week straight with CVS my GI doctor prescribed amitriptyline. This medication totally stopped the episodes after only two days of taking it. It calmed my nerves too. I am so so thankful for this medication. It gave me my life back!”

Bikridr · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2017

“I have had cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS) for 15 years or so. CVS started when I was about 18-19 years old. I have been "sick" at least 2 days per week, this whole time, sometimes 7 days per week I'm sick, but never just 1 day. ER visits, IV meds, week long hospital stays, and doctors literally worldwide scratching there heads trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I settled into the fact that I was destined to be sick and that it was going to kill me. At 33, I FINALLY got the diagnosis of CVS and have been prescribed 50mg amitriptyline, and I have slowly been improving. I have gained weight, and sleep 10hrs nightly, only side effects so far, so I'll take it! Been 6 months,I'm down to 4-6 sick days per month, so it's working!”

Learn more about Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome