User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome

"I'm 27 years old and have been to the doctors many many times. I've had nausea, vomiting, weight loss and headaches/migraines, for over a year now. I'll have a few days to a week with no symptoms and then they come right back. I've had appointments with gastroenterologist and have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done. I've been to the hospital on a few occasions due to my vomiting. Doctors still don't know whats wrong. They have put me on acid reflex medications, which don't help much. I have talked to my doctor about the possibility of me having CVS. He hasn't said that's what I have but prescribed me Amitriptyline. Just started it yesterday... Hope it works. Close to losing my job if I cant get this under control....."

Mrs.K.Horne (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was sick with violent to moderate vomiting episodes daily for 5 years, numerous tests and docs with no answer. Eventually when I ended up on IV fluids at home we tried amitriptyline it was amazing, a life saver literally. Now 5 years later it has stopped working and I am devastated. I am trying nortryptaline as a change to see if taking a break from amitryptaline will get it to work again. I was up to 100 mg every night. The nortryptaline is not working at all, I am vomiting numerous times a day. Has anyone else had great success with amitript, and have it stop? What did you do? Thank you for any insight from other sufferers, it really helps. My first episodes started about 32 or 33."

Heaving heather April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS) since I was at young as 16 but only got diagnosed a week ago at almost 31. I was misdiagnosed even told I was anorexic and bulimic at the same time but never got any answers and never comfort. My CVS went dormant for a while when I was 18 and I believed the dr that told me I produced too much acid but at 28 my CVS came back with a vengeance. I couldn't keep a job until I went back to an employer I had prior to getting sick again that knew my worth and was willing to work with me and keep me employed thankfully. I would have had no way to come up with 1200 bucks for my tests to rule out everything else and finally found my miracle doctor. He gave me amitriptyline 25mg at bedtime 5 nights ago and since I have been fine no episodes or symptoms"

Arianaberrios1 February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS) for 15 years or so. CVS started when I was about 18-19 years old. I have been "sick" at least 2 days per week, this whole time, sometimes 7 days per week I'm sick, but never just 1 day. ER visits, IV meds, week long hospital stays, and doctors literally worldwide scratching there heads trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I settled into the fact that I was destined to be sick and that it was going to kill me. At 33, I FINALLY got the diagnosis of CVS and have been prescribed 50mg amitriptyline, and I have slowly been improving. I have gained weight, and sleep 10hrs nightly, only side effects so far, so I'll take it! Been 6 months,I'm down to 4-6 sick days per month, so it's working!"

Bikridr (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm am 35 years old. My CVS showed its ugly head when I turned 21. Now I look back at my childhood and I see some signs. Took me a long time to get diagnosed but was pretty much confirmed when 10mg of Amitriptyline compleatly stopped my cycle. I had been on and off it for years. Recently after moving to a new state it seems I am now always on it. In 7 years I went from 25mg to starting today 100mg. This drug really is a life saver but I'm getting concerned I'm going to get to the max dose and have to find something else. I also take 5mg lexapro for irritability. My side effects have been dry mouth and weight gain. Which I don't mind for getting my life back."

Peanutsmom05 (taken for 10 years or more) March 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started amitriptyline about 5 or 6 years ago. It was a miracle drug. But it has stopped working in the last 2 months. I've been in the ER 5 times in 2 months. 2 episodes fell on a day I had wakes to go to, and missed them due to CVS. Has anyone had success with any other medications? I am desperate for a new med before I loose my job!!!!"

Sharon Downs April 28, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had cyclical vomiting syndrome for about a year and a half and was diagnosed about two months ago, as soon as I was diagnosed I was put on amitriptyline. The only side effect I have noticed is a bit of sleepiness, but not enough to really affect my life. Amitriptyline has given me back my quality of life and I've started uni and am looking for part time work, this would never have been possible before being on amitriptyline."

happy healthy girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My daughter was diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome at age 10, she lost 13 lb on a few week time frame. She had a EGD and other test. The doctor then prescribed Amitriptyline 25 mg at bedtime if helped. She stayed on it the entire school year, we then took her off of it for the summer. Things were going great until this week and she has had to episodes we will be starting her back on it today. We also use Zofran as needed."

Child suffering (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 25, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome almost 2 years ago. I have been on Amitriptyline for about a year and a half. I recently went off because I ran out of refills and my insurance changed making a specialist visit expensive. Within a week I was extremely nauseous. The doctor called me in more and I started talking it again. Within a few days it went away. I am so thankful for this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been on Amitrip for three years now and haven't had a cyclic vomiting syndrome episode. My gastro doctor tried as last resort and it works. 25 mg at bedtime my bouts started like clock work at 8 am. My last episode lasted from June 18th to July 4th. 3 different hospital stays. My weight went from 235 lbs to 180 lbs. Thought my life was ending. I was skeptical that this pill at bedtime would do anything. But I couldn't have been more wrong, it saved my life so for anyone reading this please try this treatment and I hope you are as lucky as me. I am 57 years old."

Barry G June 14, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my first episode of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome about 3.5 years ago. It was sometime until the doctors and I figured out what it actually was. Nonstop throwing up for 2-6 days about once a month. What made them severe I guess was the amount of vomiting. A few times I had double I.V's because they could not rehydrate me as fast as the vomiting was dehydrating me. If you have CVS and are reading this I just want to say I am truly sorry. It was a miserable and emotional ride for me and the people that care about me. I can truly say I feel your pain and I pray that you find peace. I fought the doctors about taking this but when I finally gave in, IT WORKED. Not one episode since then (about 1 year and 6 months). I was skeptical at first BUT IT WORKED! 25MG."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 14, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been sick for over 4 years now and been on this for the past 2 weeks and its been a miracle. I haven't been sick or in pain once. I don't mean I just vomit, I start and I can't stop for 19 of 30 days. So far the minute I took one, that night I have been more relaxed and less sick have been able to cut down my oxycodone and Zofran so I am thankful. I will let you know how it continues to go but so far its my miracle."

Brooklynchase August 30, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Began having Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome in November 2012. Hospitalized several times. We also found that I have a vestibular issue causing me to throw up. That has resolved but left with this CVS. I started taking this medication about 3 weeks ago and I think it helps. Started 30mg dose and had an episode so increasing to 40mg and holding, if I get sick I can increase to 50mg. I am struggling with anxiety, which I had before this all started. Increase anxiety to severe state as I never know if this vomiting thing is going to come back. Overall, it works. Side effects are not bad at all. Anxiety is almost unbearable, which is not a side effect of this medication. I think it is a side effect of having CVS."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After vomiting for 3-4 days solid, every 4/5 weeks for 6/7 months (starting at age 45), went to see consultant Doctor. Underwent brain scan etc. to rule out any other causes to the vomiting, diagnosed as cyclic vomiting syndrome and started 10mg amitriptyline a day. Cured! No vomiting for 3 months now, brilliant!"

glow1242 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started with cyclic vomiting syndrome when I was 14, and was in out of hospital for years. It got to the point I suffered with an episode every week with only 3 days in between, until I was 22. I then saw a doctor that had heard of CVS, and he prescribed Amitriptyline every night and Zofran when an episode started, since then, now I'm 32, I have not had an episode. I still take Amitriptyline every night but it has defiantly stopped CVS and is a miracle for me."

chez12 (taken for 10 years or more) November 12, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I really like this medicine because it calms my nerves right down. I am now entering week 3 of a rather bad episode of cyclic vomiting syndrome. (Started 5/3/12) but any how when I can keep them down these are the best for my nerves and reasonably priced as well."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"We find this medication one of our lifesavers. My son began Cyclic vomiting syndrome when he was 5 years old. Started out with a bang and he would spend one week per month in the hospital for over a year and a half. We did finally resort to both a G and J Tube. One for nutrition and one to bypass the stomach during episodes to give medicines, fluids and nutrition. However, we use the Elavil every night and use Ativan as well as Zofran during an active cycle or right when we see one coming on to abort as well as loads of fluids. We have tried to experiment and "see" what happens without the Elavil and it was bad. Within a week of not having it, right on the money comes an active Episode. My son is now 13, we still have the Tubes in place and use all the medicines listed."

Anonymous October 8, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "So far, Elavil is the only thing that seems to help on a daily basis with my cyclic vomiting syndrome. A drug I have used to abort an episode is Maxalt, which I think it is the same class of as Imitrex."

cvs girl May 30, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Elavil helped immediately."

Anonymous March 26, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Does not have the constipation side effect of nortriptyline, which is a plus if you ask me. With the help of my physician, I have looked for a miracle and the answer came with a combo of amitriptyline-topamax. It is not the ultimate cure (I still get an episode here and there, but hey I can take being sick once a month or month and a half), but in the meantime, no vomiting, no migraine, no "can-someone-hand-me-that-screwdriver" if you know what I mean. It worked for me, hope it helps someone else."

Anonymous April 13, 2009