User Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Amitriptyline

"My doc prescribed amitriptyline to help me sleep, I have high anxiety or am stressed out or in panic mode. So took it for two or three years three four pills a day. I think it was 25mg. My heart started pounding out of control. In the ambulance my bpm (heart beats per minute) was 160 plus, paramedic was injecting some drug to slow my heart down and he asked what drugs was I taking I said amitriptyline, he said that drug causes the organ that controls the heart rate not to function properly and he said stop taking it. They were now aware of what it does to the heart. So after the first injection I felt my heart slow way down, then a few minutes later still driving to the hospital my heart ran over 160 bpm again so he injected the IV with a drug can't remember the name of it, it slowed my heart again to normal. Thank goodness for that paramedics training and quick action. Look I would not recommend this drug to anyone. I have never had a heart problem ever. I quit taking this that day and never took it again."

Gerald June 8, 2019

"Hyperthryoid, PTSD. Have been on benzos for years to control "panic disorder, unspecified" and while Xanax kept me functional, in PTSD therapy I realized an old incident might have caused my thyroid to go nuts and put me in the ER a lot. I didn't want to be "stuck" carrying Xanax for instant relief of unexplained panic attacks (I'm not in the least bit "anxious", or depressed, but have been prone to "panic" daily for years, and didn't know why). Everything else made me more anxious or put me in the ER (even with Xanax). When I was finally diagnosed PTSD, I begged for Elavil after researching, and immediately felt the difference. I don't know how it works, but Elavil's the ONLY one I've felt could take the place of Xanax. A little worried about "swapping dependencies," but this kind of "calm" seems worth it. I still have Xanax (and propanolol for high heart rate, which I had moments after swallowing Elavil), but am taking them "in taper mode"."

ThyroidGirl February 9, 2019

"Throughout my life, I've been prescribed so many different medications for my C-PTSD (Complex post traumatic stress disorder ) and every single thing I tried seemed to make things worse except Amitriptyline for C-PTSD. 31 years old and in ER for being suicidal when this awesome doctor tells me about amitriptyline. It took a few weeks to notice a difference, but once this stuff kicked in I noticed a massive difference in the way I felt. I got some actual SLEEP for the first time in as long as I could remember. My emotions levelled out, my brain fog cleared up, my ability to deal with everyday life situations improved, I mean it's just unbelievable. The med isn't without downsides. If for any reason you suddenly stop taking this and have to go without for a couple days you're going to be a horrendously awful person to deal with because of the withdrawal from this med causing an emotional rollercoaster of anger!!! It's pretty crazy. I don't ever want to be without this medication again. <3"

melmoldy (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2019

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I've had Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) for 30 years, then a random workplace mass shooting gave me PTSD about 16 years ago. I was on many different drugs from a psychiatrist (probably getting kickbacks). After I lost my job, ability to work, house, wife, etc. I was fortunate to be poor and prescribed a drug I could afford by a nurse practitioner with advice from a neurologist. To add to my klonopin they prescribed elavil. I slept like a baby for the first time in years. It helped with anxiety and depression, improved my libido, and I will be happy to take it the rest of my life. I have been on it over ten years now, I still struggle, but I would never have managed without it. It gives me a fighting chance at a real life. SSRI's and anti-psychotic drugs are demonic."

ez_writer (taken for 10 years or more) January 3, 2018

"Dear God thank you!!!!! PTSD causing insomnia and crippling panic attacks!! Have been on every SSRI made the panic worse! Basically I just can't take SSRI and SSNRI. They led me to panic disorder as if anxiety and insomnia weren't bad enough. I suffered for ten years until I crashed Then I started 0.25 immediate relief! By 8 weeks no panic and by 9 weeks I am sleeping. I have no side effects for me other then next day brain fog. Just kind of like duhhhhhh lol it went away. I should've, could've and wish I would've a done this sooner!!! Very cheap older med of the tryclic antidepressants. I also tolerate trazodone hence my PCP going for this ! Never give up peeps!!"

Praisejeesusss (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Keep you from wanting to kill yourself make you feel more comfortable just meadows you out keeps me from having back flashing. First time I didn't like bad side affects the Dr gave me 50mg a day but I take 50mg bed time then I cut pill in half late morning and early evening. First time taking make you sleep really good. I have know side affect. I like keeps you calm"

Grratfostbyji June 10, 2017

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I am 52 years old I've struggled my entire life with anxiety phobias depression intrusive racing thoughts etc I was diagnosed with PTSD MDD and panic disorder. I have tried every kind of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants. Sometimes with absolutely horrible side effects. I am disabled with disc and bone disease my pain doctor added amitriptyline to my meds. I never would have imagined my pain doctor giving me a drug that could change my whole life, especially at my age. I gave up on finding a medication that really helped. I have been home bound for the past 3 years I have become a recluse. Now, I look forward to getting out of the house! I actually feel happy! THANK GOD!!!! AND IT'S ONLY $4 CASH !"

TEXAN11 March 24, 2017

Elavil (amitriptyline): "The first time I was aware of the existence of this drug, a gastroenterologist gave it to me for sharp stomach pain. The cause was idiopathic and/or overdetermined by a variety of problems, especially some damage to the hypothalamus. That was in 2001, and worked IMMEDIATELY. Stomach pain? Gone. Only had about a 2-week supply and stopped with no ill effects. In fact, it perked up my mood! I always remembered that this was the drug that solved a serious pain problem. In 2015, I had severe anxiety & my appetite was completely gone. I knew what I needed. The psych. gave me Elavil, even though he was inclined toward Effexor. I ate! I felt good again. I am still on it. I am concerned re: withdrawal. Short-term use recommended if possible."

High Anxiety (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

"I've been in law enforcement for almost 24 years. I've sustained two broken hips, dislocated SI joint, 8 concussions, and numerous stab and knife wounds. I've been given Amitriptyline before, with no help for PTSD. On June 16, 2015 I received my 8th concussion. My PTSD intensified as this injury is a severe one, and I was given klonapin for PTSD as the Amitriptyline did nothing. Since then, I've been on both as I required surgery to remove two nerves in my neck as well as surgery to remove scar tissue from my spine. At 50mg, the Amitriptyline has done nothing for PTSD, but works for the remining nerve pain pain, though no help in sleeping."

BruceWayneofGotham (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2016

"Was prescribed 25mg for post traumatic stress from a motorcycle vs. Drunk driver wreck I survived. I also have insomnia and panic/anxiety attacks as a result. I had negative experiences with Xanax. So started amitript 25mg did nothing for me, kept me awake, even. 50mg helped a little (5-6 hours of sleep). I went back to the doc and he said 'a guy your size, try taking 2 50mg before bed' (I weight 215). I took 2 while making dinner and could barely keep my head up while eating. I slept 10 hours straight! This is fantastic as I have 'interrupted sleep cycles' where my body comes out of REM sleep from the PTSD. Doc says I need 10-12 hours of sleep on a good night. I like that it's not addictive as well."

Million dollar man (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "1st started taking for depression and PTSD and anxiety. Then I got in accident, now I take it for the above AS WELL AS headaches leg pain,nerve pain in legs. Great old school drug. Oh also helps insomnia"

rastonia (taken for 10 years or more) July 20, 2015

"I suffer from post concussion headaches, no other medicine helped. Seemed to make everything worse, sensitive to light headaches, pain in eye and neck. One little pill and its gone slept like a baby ....highly recommend."

squeaker71 (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2015