User Reviews for Amitriptyline (Page 6)

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 796 medications

Hyperhidrosis 1 reviews 9 medications

5.5
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 965 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Anxiety and Stress: "Try one of the newer meds out there first. GP prescribed me this for anxiety and I blindly took it thinking doc knows best, went to a Pdoc a few months later and she was mortified that I was prescribed this. I have been weaning off since and finally at 0mgs for past few days, but all the weaning side effects have been terrible. I feel nauseous all day and cannot sleep at all, and have chest pains,with constantly feeling in a fog. Do yourself a favor and trust how far medicine has come since they made this drug and try one from this era first"

Anonymous January 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "3 years of Chronic Pain Syndrome brought on by total knee replacement that doesn't work now. Still in severe pain have tried many medications for the nerve pain in knee, hip, back, leg. The Amitriptyline is the only medication that has helped me sleep at night. BUT....I had four migraines in one week while using the medication and it makes food, water, soda all taste bitter bad. Don't know what to do as it works but can't live with that many migraines. Usually one 1 migraine a month if that. So not taking it now. Any suggestions?"

RosieI'mNot January 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Mixed review - taken for headaches, virtually cured as a result but left with a mid-sized hiatus hernia. Had severe migraines - actually was in a constant state of them. I was told to have: 10mg for 2 weeks. 20mg for 4 weeks. 30 mg for the rest of the 6 months. I ended up going up to 20mg for the rest of the 6 months, not 30mg because I felt dysphagia symptoms and very slight heart palpitations. Since being off for the last 8 months, I only have migraine-like headaches once every month (usually if no sleep + anxiety). BE CAREFUL, I had a history of acid reflux issues. Now at 25, I have a mid-size hiatus hernia and GERD and I'm on PPI's for the rest of my life!"

A.. January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was given this medication to replace Toprimate. I took a pill Friday night and Saturday night (10mg). Given I was feeling well prior to taking this, I soon discovered/realized that it made me more emotional and it felt like I wanted to cry at any small thing. Combined with the feeling that it revved me up even at 3am in the morning, I have since stopped."

LRJB January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been having a lot of anxiety and panic attacks owing to a lot of undue pressure from family. Just last year I had so much panic attacks doing exams and an OPD doctor I met two weeks ago prescribed Amitriptyline 25mg (1/2 a tablet in the night after meals) and the effect is phenomenal!! It helps me have really deep sleep and it has reduced my anxiety and panic attacks to a zero. This medicine is the best for anyone who is undergoing severe stress, panic attacks or prolonged periods of sadness. I have tried other drugs such as valium and other seretonin based medicine but none of them have worked as effective as this drug! hope this review helps :)"

reviewcric (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I was put on this medication for interstitial cystitis and before I had suffered severe bladder and abdominal pain for almost 2 yrs before I discovered I had IC. I would have the most terrible bladder pain and not be able to walk or get out of bed or I would have severe bladder spasms and would wake up in the middle of the night and go sit in a hot bath to relieve the pain. The hot baths were the only thing that made the spasms not so so bad. One weekend I had a terrible flare up and the baths didn't work nothing did my doctor put me on 10 mg of amitriptyline and it has really been a huge life saver. I can't say I don't have flare ups now and then but the pain is now where near what it was."

Kelbell191 January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I'm 40. I have had insomnia my entire life and been treated for it since I was 12. A lot of meds make you sleepy, few help you sleep. Ambien may work once or twice. In reality, all that works are things you can't continually put in your body. Barbiturates and dangerous levels of Valium/Xanax."

Lifetime Insomniac (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Endep (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "Works ok. I have Bulge discs, tear, depression & anxiety . On this I sleep well. Loss of sex drive, anxiety and stress still high. Doesn't help the pain so much in my back. I sleep really well at night after 100mg, but I wake up tired and need to nap for 2-3 hours and in bed by 9:30pm. Just always wanting to sleep and lazy."

aaaaaaaallllllll January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "I have had cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS) for 15 years or so. CVS started when I was about 18-19 years old. I have been "sick" at least 2 days per week, this whole time, sometimes 7 days per week I'm sick, but never just 1 day. ER visits, IV meds, week long hospital stays, and doctors literally worldwide scratching there heads trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I settled into the fact that I was destined to be sick and that it was going to kill me. At 33, I FINALLY got the diagnosis of CVS and have been prescribed 50mg amitriptyline, and I have slowly been improving. I have gained weight, and sleep 10hrs nightly, only side effects so far, so I'll take it! Been 6 months,I'm down to 4-6 sick days per month, so it's working!"

Bikridr (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Took it for burning nerve pain - reached 50 mg (after 5 weeks). Did absolutely nothing - at the end even did not help with sleep."

Marta1973 January 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "13 years ago on this drug I went up 10 dress sizes in three months. I developed every inflammatory immune response possible - joints so weak I could hardly stand up, eyes felt like they had sand or glass in them, could not sleep, anxious all the time and crippling rebound migraines. I lost 1 year of work. Metabolism has never re-corrected itself fully. I stopped going to Doctors after this drug experience as they failed to understand the negative potency of this drug and had no solutions. I got healthy again through properly researched supplementation and nutrition. Wrecked my life."

Saebe December 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "After months of sleepless nights, I finally went to the doc and was prescribed Amitriptyline about 6 or 7 days ago. The doc said not to skip a dose - to take it every night. It takes about 2 weeks to get into your system enough to work properly. Jury's still out, but it does not put me to sleep for several hours after taking it, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. I was wide awake at 5:30 a.m. morning before last. Last night I was asleep within an hour of laying down and slept until 11 a.m. this morning. Some days I feel groggy, and others I feel refreshed. My pain level has decreased drastically. Have bad, arthritic knees. Wondering if this drug helps relieve inflammation? I think it makes me calmer the day after. Still hoping....."

JadedPrincess (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Not effective for me. When not producing results, physicians will increase the dose. Eventually, it just knocked me out. I thought I was sick and fatigued. It turned it was the medicine."

ernestosabato (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Slept like a baby and felt rested when I woke up. Helped with night back pain also after MVA. Helped with depression due to having good night sleep to deal with my daily activities."

Abbey W December 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Started 2 weeks ago for chronic migraines. I've been to the emergency twice in a week for numbness in my face, hands, weakness in my legs. I can't eat, I feel faint and dizzy. I've a massive panic attack that landed me in the ed again last night. Never taking it again! I was only on 25mg"

LALA3382 December 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I have had IC since 2013. I have been having negative urine tests thinking I had ITU. Went to a urologist and told me about IC. He really did nothing for me. I found a very experienced urologist that deals only with IC. Because I have Hunner's ulcers I have kenalog injections when an ulcer is present other wise I am on 10mlg of elavil nightly. Works very well for sleeping and less trips to the bathroom at night. Because of the weight gain I do belong to a weight loss group to help me stay away from gaining weight."

Linda125 December 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Interstitial Cystitis: "Just wanted to add more now that been taking longer. Positives - it's still working and at the low dose of 10mg. - Weirdly, I have lost weight although this seems like fluid and bloat loss but has amounted to half a stone. Issues - beginning to think I'm indestructible and after having tea and wine, I had a flare. However, the flare only lasted a day and I wasn't crying in pain. - changing brand from Actavis to Accord. Still working for IC but weirdly more unpleasant side effects, drowsiness, dry mouth and zombified feeling in morning. The difference was pretty immediate so I'm sure it's that. Perhaps other users should take note of brands. I will return to Actavis as this had no side effects whatsoever."

NickiJA (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Makes me sleep all night and all the next day, even if I don't take a whole pill. I tossed it in the trash. I hate it."

RockerDee December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I was very recently prescribed amitriptyline at 10 mg for fibromyalgia. , which was also just recently diagnosed after complaints since the age of at least 18 ( now 38). It doesn't help me sleep, even with my low dose of Xanax that was prescribed a year ago, for sleep. Combining the two has given me a more restless sleep, BUT...... It has helped with my pain tremendously!!! Within days, I noticed I could work longer hours ( self employed, thank god), and when I do get sore, it's not as extreme as pre- amitriptyline. I've lost weight in these two weeks, as before I only ate once a day, and I think my body was holding on to any fat it could, now I graze throughout the day and think my metabolism has been kick started again."

trindamcd December 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Sleepy like a baby! Two days into taking it for my endometrosis pain. Doc said to start with 10mgs at first which does seem to knock me out. I take Citalapram too, but this is for that midnight pain and excruciating pain in the early hours. It's swings and roundabouts as each person reacts so differently to drugs. This for me is a 10 out of 10."

Wilma225 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I have severe pain due to a deteriorating ankle joint. I had great difficulty sleeping at night with the pain associated. I take a 25 mg tablet at bedtime and not only does it help me sleep it stops those painful leg jerks that would make my ankle react in painful spasms. It is an absolute wonderful drug for stopping the night pain."

SillySonie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Amitriptyline has helped me tremendously. I take 100mg at bedtime and I get a full relaxed sleep and my anxiety and stress does not bother me anymore. I'm calm and happy. It's a miracle drug!"

Enki (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Took this for IBS-C for about 2 months, 10 mg. Worked great for pain, even a bit for my anxiety. Unfortunately, gave me hard stools which was already a problem. Took more miralax and it helped with that. Still made me drowsy after a month. I suggest taking in the early in the evening so you don't feel groggy in the morning."

Slowpope December 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "These tiny little pills are amazing I was suffering with migraines every 2 days I've been taking them 2 weeks nearly 3 weeks and only had one migraine and that was in the very beginning I could cry with relief it's taken 2 years of migraines to be finally given some sort of relief and I couldn't be happier I'm noise reactive so loud noises can trigger a migraine I put these tiny pills to the test and went to a friends birthday party loud music people shouting and nothing no migraine when normally the first 5 minutes of loud anything I'd be hunting down pain relief cold packs and a dark room and for the first time in what feels like forever I actually had a great time with friends they're great so happy"

Happylittlemonster54 December 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have had insomnia and chronic pain for 24 years. I've seen every specialist imaginable and no one could seem to help me. But I was still taking sleep aids every night, sometimes doubling up on the dosage. At my worst I was taking a handful of pills just to fall asleep and my family worried that someday I would not wake up. I went to a lung specialist and he prescribed Elavil. I have been on it for about 4 months now at 100 mg and I RARELY need to take a sleep aid. I just get sleepy and go to bed, like "normal people". =) I also noticed a great reduction in my pain levels. So it's either the Elavil that is helping the pain directly or its the restful sleep. Either way I am thrilled w the medication!"

Lis333 December 7, 2016