User Reviews for Amitriptyline (Page 6)

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 790 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 3 reviews 0 medications

5.3
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 923 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Migraine Prevention: "I had headaches for a year. At six months I switched my allergy meds, relief cut the headache intensity by half. The rest of the cause was minor concussion as a result of an auto accident and overdoing( occasionally overdosing) of OTC pain relievers ( Tylenol and aspirin). Started elavil almost 3 months ago, I am now mostly headache free with only slight headaches and off all OTC pain relief. OTC pain relievers can be addictive and by reducing how much per day I took, I am now taking OTC pain relievers for minor muscle and joint problems as needed (which is only occasionally). Looking forward to stop using elavil every day. Some tips listen to your doctor, keep a log or journal of progress and remember not thinking always about a headache"

rosette3 November 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have a depressive disorder called disthymia, post traumatic stress disorder and have been struggling with sleep/insomnia for a while. I was on zopiclone and tamazepam often put could only take them 3 days at a time with a break as to not become addicted to them etc. After a few months of this my doctor gave me Amitriptyline and it also boosts my anti depressant. I have a couple of pills at about 8 or so and its been great. I fall asleep at the right times - start yawning around 11pm, jump into bed and get to sleep. I wake up about 7 or 8 and im able to get up. It has also been great for my moods. I love it"

Fourth November 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I started the medication after suffering from insomnia and general anxiety. I tried citrolpram and basically didn't sleep for a month along with numerous other side affects. I was sceptical the first couple of times I took 10mg to help with sleep and it had no effect, maybe I needed to wait longer for the citrolpram to clear out my system. I left it couple of days and tried 25 mg, let's just say I slept the best I had in a long time. I haven't really noticed any other side affects, maybe this is because citrolopram made me feel so strange this doesn't even scratch the surface. Anyway I'm now to look forward to bed and I hope this continues as it is really helping me focus better at work having more sleep."

Philerini October 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was prescribed this for migranes/constant headaches. It made me very sleepy and didn't seem to help at all with the headaches. I'm a 24 year old female."

jacobmaroo (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "TERRIBLE!! It has been 4 weeks and I have been experiencing Insomnia. I tried every Naturalpathic remedy and method that one can think of; EFT, Meditation, Hops, Chamamille, on and on and on... Nothing worked.. So, I broke down, went to the doctor and he gave me this medicine. I told him that I lay there and think - Nothing Negative, I am a happy person, but just lay there thinking about stuff. This medicine made me CRAZY; I was pacing and angry and pulling my hair (metaphorically speaking). It is a Psychotropic drug - NASTY STUFF! So, as I sit here ANGRY at the doctor for giving me a psychotropic instead of a sleep aid, I am getting more and more irritable.... IN THE TRASH IT GOES!"

billyv01 October 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I went from having horrific painsomnia and feeling like a zombie 24/7 and being really agitated by noise and light to having a regular sleep pattern which for sure helped me deal with pain and stress. I'm only up to 30mg a day and I've found coupled with pool therapy this treatment has been invaluable. Only annoying thing is that I get really bad dry mouth (but means I'm drinking more water) and I've totally lost my sex drive."

Wot (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I have had Chronic Pain for over 13 years, as a result of a head-on MVA (other driver was impaired) 33 years ago. The impact caused several injuries, but my broken knee and Fibula, were the worst. I had several surgeries, that kept me pain free and active until a TKR was required. Due to my age, it was put off, & though the surgery went well, it was put off to long and triggered Chronic Pain. I take Morphine 60 mg. x3/daily, which helps me function. Recently, the doctor put me on Amytriptyline 25mg x3/nightly. I have cut back to one, as it is very difficult for me to wake up in the morning, no matter how early I take it the night before. It does help with the pain though, and I do sleep much better!"

CraftyCanuck (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Amitriptyline give me a good sleep every night, I take 1x10mg 2 hrs before sleep. Also the tablet takes away any aches and pains on your body. A cure for panic attacks for which I used to have 6 approx a month is : Stop drinking Coffee or Tea unless you change it to Decaffinated only and the other cure that helps is : 4 or more cups of Camomile Tea every day ,no sugar and no milk in it. I normally leave the t-bag in the cup until I have drunk it. All these things have worked for me and I have not had any Panic attacks for approx 3 years. Also if you suffer with Policeman's heel while walking, the only cure for that is : Sketcher's Shape-ups, I have been wearing them for years and my pain has completely disappeared, I buy mine on line."

karnchana62 October 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was prescribed Amitriptyline to help with anxiety and sleeping issues, but it has also helped a ton with migraines. I was having at least one a week, but I haven't had one in almost 4 months (so far). I have had a couple of headaches, but they definitely weren't migraines, and over-the-counter meds knocked them out. I was at the point where over-the-counter meds weren't working with the migraines, so I'm thrilled with the results. And it has improved my sleep considerably, also!"

GlitterPrincess October 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've had IBS -c&d since I was a kid and it worsened as I got older. I learned within the past year that Lactose and wheat irritates it greatly causing severe pain, diarrhea and bloating. Until 2 months ago I had just resigned myself to having this problem and the depression/anxiety that comes with it. I finally saw a gastroenterologist 2 months ago and he took the time to go over my symptoms and some tests. Finally he suggested Elavil at a dose of 20mg at night since it can have a sedative effect. After 2 weeks I felt WONDERFUL! I felt normal! This has been a medical God send. We might increase the dose to 50mg in a few months since I am on 3 other medications for my bipolar which can lower the effectiveness of Elavil."

Sissy Jay (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Developed a prolapsed disk during pregnancy which caused burning/throbbing sciatica all down right leg. I could only sleep for a maximum of two hours at night before the pain woke me up and it was also pretty grim throughout the day. Worked my way up to 20mg of Amitriptyline (5mg more every few days) and found that after several weeks the pain had reduced greatly. After a few months tried reducing dose to 15mg (due to side effects of tiredness and feeling groggy in the morning) but the pain returned so increased dose back to 20mg and pain has gone again. This drug might not suit everyone but for me the benefits of this medication definitely outweigh the side effects and I shall be continuing to take it."

Lulu - UK October 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Endep (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: "Been taking it for 6 years initially for depression then anxiety and stress and it's one of the worst things to happen to me. Constant eczema where my skins gets very itchy and sore that I have scars all over, constipation is probably the worst as I've had periods of vomiting to stomach being sore and bloated, blurred vision, it's addictive contrary to what doctors say as I have been trying to get off it for 2 years slowly and been admitted to hospital twice in that time for substance abuse relating to endep. Doctors can't understand why I have been on it for so long. Take mine at night as you get drowsy of a day on higher than 50mg (most I taken was 75mg) now on 10mg and still get constipation."

Chriso1 October 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "This gave me very vivid nightmares. It turned me into a zombie: I went from a very happy cheerful person to a boring introvert. Made me paranoid I was always on edge. My appetite was cut in half. I get blurry vision and drowsiness when I have migraines and amitriptyline helps with that. I have had migraines for the past 3 year everyday and this did not help."

Broolò (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Was prescribed 10 mg for cystitis 1 pill one hour before bed time. After taking the second pill I got severe anxiety attack which led me down on the road of developing GAD and panic disorder. I did not know what was happening to me why I felt so hyper and kind of sick, had heart palpitations, like I had a ton of coffee. The morning I still felt severe anxiety, called the doctor, made appointments to figure it out what is wrong with me. I started loosing weight because I lost my appetite and I guess all the worry created more worries and eventually panic attacks. It may work for others but be very careful when trying it the first time."

Caused severe anxiety/panic (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "My doctor prescribed 25 mg nightly before bed to help prevent migraines. I've been taking it for about 2 months and I've gone from 6 separate migraine attacks in a 2 week span to 4 in a two month span. I may need to up the dosage soon because 3 have been recently (within the last month). Anywho, helps me sleep wonderfully at night without making me groggy before or after bed. I also have no harsh side effects like thoughts of suicide or anything like that. 10/10 would recommend for migraine sufferers - I have it a 9 because I think I need to up my dosage."

Shelby7170 (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "My sleep has progressively gotten worse as I have grown older, now 60. I have tried five other drugs with no success. Lunesta worked better than others but would only work a couple of nights then nothing and I felt groggy and had constant headaches. The doctor gave me Amitriptyline 50mg and the first night, while a little jittery I fell asleep in about 20 minutes and slept most of the night, getting up and changing rooms, then falling back to sleep again. The second night I tossed and turned most of the night. Tonight is number three so I am hoping that the side effects subside. Will update in a few days. I am still battling major headaches with this drug as I did with Lunesta. Hoping for success tonight."

Sleepy in Carmel October 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "The first time I was aware of the existence of this drug, a gastroenterologist gave it to me for sharp stomach pain. The cause was idiopathic and/or overdetermined by a variety of problems, especially some damage to the hypothalamus. That was in 2001, and worked IMMEDIATELY. Stomach pain? Gone. Only had about a 2-week supply and stopped with no ill effects. In fact, it perked up my mood! I always remembered that this was the drug that solved a serious pain problem. In 2015, I had severe anxiety & my appetite was completely gone. I knew what I needed. The psych. gave me Elavil, even though he was inclined toward Effexor. I ate! I felt good again. I am still on it. I am concerned re: withdrawal. Short-term use recommended if possible."

High Anxiety (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been taking this medication for my migraines for about a year and a half. I take it at night and within 30 minutes I am asleep. This combined with verapamil 120mg ER has decreased my migraines from weekly to about one every 8 weeks or so. I have noticed I am calmer and more focused the next day. I have gained a little weight but I'm not sure if that's age or the medicine. I'm 46."

Angie1111111 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "I have been on multiple medications for the burning and tingling and shooting pains in lower legs. Finally have found the most rewarding relief. I seen a endoctronologist and she ordered a nutriotional drug called Metanex. I take 1 capsule twice a day and the Elavil 50 mg at bedtime. I give thanks to God and that's it. unbelievable relief in the symptoms I have suffered with for over a year. anyone with these symptoms should look into getting there Dr to order the Metanex for them in conjunction with the Elavil."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Endep (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: "Wonderful for my fibromyalgia. It helps reduce pain and helps me get a solid nights sleep. I take 50mg 2 hours before bedtime. Recommend this highly."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Take this for migraines, I take this at night as it also helps me to sleep because of the drowsiness, only thing that controls my migraines."

ALOBE (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I had horrible insomnia for about a year and tried a number of pills, but none of them seemed to work. My doctor prescribed me 25 mg Amitryptyline, but it took about 3-4 weeks to actually kick in. I take it about an hour or two before bed, and it has helped me fall asleep and stay asleep. It's important to try and get 8 hours of sleep on it though, because it can make you feel groggy. I'm glad that I have finally found a medicine that has regulated my sleep schedule."

carologan October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "UK user, been on this for over 5 years, i was getting tension migraines nearly every day, like one of the reviews below, i noticed when i didn't get one! One of my main 'problems' has been very vivid dreams, some have been like a movie, great when you realise it is the drug, I have now also experienced mild haluasinations which I am aware it is the drug and I am monitoring it, there is a cleaner version of this drug called sumatriptalin, very similar in medical effect, but a lot fewer side effects, generally though thr pills work well with the other medication I am on to stop the migraines."

Spikey69 October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been on this medication for 6 months, suffer from severe migraines. At the beginning I could sleep better, less migraines but dizzy. I stopped taking this medication since I developed severe anxiety attacks usually during the night, irregular heart beats ( PVCs) and chest pressure. Also numbness of fingers and toes. I took only 5 mg at bedtime. I have been off this medication for one week, had an awful migraine and last night sleepless night with anxiety. I am pretty sure it works for some people. Watch out for side effects."

Sunshine. October 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been suffering for 15+ years with migraines. I prefer not to take prescription medication but had tried homeopathic remedies, adjusted my diet and lived a very regimented lifestyle but would still have 8+ migraines a month. Was prescribed 10 mg in the evening. I started taking 5 mg to slowly start my body on it and minimize side effects---been on 5 mg for the last 6 weeks and have had tremendous success. Side effects: sleepiness in the am--so I take the pill about 6:30 in the evening and have minimal sleepiness in the morning. I was worried about weight gain but haven't seen it (I'm 110 so it would be noticeable). Dry mouth--I just drink more water. Other than that, minimal side effects."

Texaslady123 October 11, 2016