User Reviews for Amitriptyline (Page 6)

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 787 medications

Fibromyalgia 75 reviews 20 medications

6.4
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 837 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Insomnia: "I take 100mgs of Elavil at night. It takes a couple of hours to kick in, but when it does,it is the most blissful sleep ever. I also take it for GAD and it has worked better than Xanex, Attivan or Klonopin. I am calm for the first time in a long, long time."

AngelWolf12 June 11, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Absolutely fantastic! Been suffering with severe chronic migraines for two years. Tried a handful of different triptans, topiramate and beta blockers (propranolol). Finally tried this and I haven't had one migraine since starting. It makes you incredibly hungry and I've gained a stone in two months. However I'd rather put on extra baggage than suffer everyday from severe pain."

Cookie addict (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2016

For Pain: "Herniated and degenerated disc, with sciatic leg pains, very disabling, unable to get about, get dressed or look after my child and dog in bad days, tried the usual fib off from Doctors and many prescribed medication, Amitriptyline works as pain relief but have been on several months now and always had very thick healthy hair, falls out excessively now and thinning, weight gain at fast pace was always a size 8 not now can't stop eating, still with pain but can look after my family just, side effects ae depressing for me but they manage the pain to a point after trying alot. Now looking into alternative healthy medication I'm told from a sufferer of back and disc pain that I should stop taking this toxin and try hemp oil along with vitamins."

Knackers Yard (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

For Insomnia: "Had insomnia ever since I can remember, when I went to the doctor he prescribed me amitriptyline 25mg it does not help at all. It makes me fell like a zombie, and it makes me feel "dull". I talk slow, and feel like I can't stand, but when I do sleep I sleep way too well. It's hard to wake up and when I do I feel tired all day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: "I was prescribed Elavil by my Rheumatologist and have been on it for 10 days. He prescribed a dose of 25mg but I am super sensitive to Meds and have only been taking 12.5mg. Let me just start by saying I have been on everything from Zoloft to Lyrica for depression and Fibro. I have had negative experiences with most of them. I was skeptical to even try Elavil after reading some user reviews but decided to give it a try. So far I have noticed that I have more energy and don't feel like I am in a fog.Other side effects I've noticed:1. Dry mouth 2. Weird dreams 3. Tired in am but more energy later on.4. Upper back pain in the A.M. This concerns me. 5.More social 6.No pain relief for Fibro. If anything I am more aware of it.Jury still out :/"

JenofJax (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

For Pain: "Started amitrip. For Fibromyalgia 5 weeks ago @10mg. I started it on a Friday night after reading the reviews in case it made me groggy. The first two night/mornings I slept significantly throughout the day. But by Monday morning I was fine, and up by my usual 5:30am school route to take my children to school. I felt a slight difference. No other side effects. My pain was still there but just slightly less. Doctor moved me to 20mgs after 3 weeks. Again, groggyness but only the first day. But wow!, I noticed my pain is about 75% gone after the 3rd day or so. I still get pain if I over work myself. But I just need to moderate my self. Looking forward, hoping the next increase will be my miracle. Very happy!"

FrancescaPrieto-fibromyalgia (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain: "I was put on Amitriptyline 10mg to help with severe back pain and trapped sciatic nerve affectng the lower right leg very badly. Had to stop driving. I started to sleep extremely well but had not really had much pain to cope with at night so there was nothing special to note there. Daytime pain seemed unchanged until about 5 to 6 weeks into the course I did notice that daytime pain had lessened. However I also noticed that in weeks 6 to 7, I was feeling extremely low, depressed, lifeless and started to have dull headaches, reread the side effects and decided to stop the drug immediately. I am a different person, feeling so much more alive and for me, the drug caused an effect more serious than the back and leg pain."

Julla (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "Have been taking for over 1 week now fibromyalgia pain, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 2 weeks but I felt better after one day of using it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have been dealing with IBS for about 2 years now, NOTHING was working. The doctors tried everything to see if they could help my pain and stomach problems. About 1 month ago my doctor prescribed this medication and my stomach pains are 99% gone. I take a 10 mg pill every night and it not only helps with my IBS, it also helps with my anxiety. I would recommend this medication to anyone! I can start living the life that I had before IBS, its amazing!"

Vron07 May 25, 2016

Endep (amitriptyline) for Depression: "I have only been on this drug for two weeks and as yet not noticed any difference with my depression. My anxiety levels are up, I have swooshing, buzzing noises in my ears, I even feel dizzy while seated and even just turning my head from side to side. I have noticed tingling in my fingers. My balance is affected, feeling like a drunk person. My head throbs."

poey May 23, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've been battling Gastrointestinal problems from day one, but for the last two years, I've been suffering intolerable pain. two GP's and two gastroenerologists later I was still having problems with no clear diagnosis. Finally, I saw a new GP last week, that seemed to chalk my symptoms up to IBS, and she prescribed me this medication. I've only been on 1/2 a 25mg pill each evening for five days, and already my symptoms have vastly improved. There's brief pain for about 10 minutes occasionally, but it passes quickly now and is far less severe, and I'm not kept up all night by the pain anymore like before. No ill effects, as I take it in the evening about an hour before bedtime. This medication is a godsend for me!"

Big-E73 May 21, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was given elavil for my migraine. .I've been taking 10 my for 1 week N now week 2 up to 20mg..I also have dealt with ibs-c..the migraine/headaches hav subsided a little..but my bloating N cramping N nausea r all still there..it did help my sleep the first week but I've had trouble sleeping on week 2..from the other testimonials on here I'm gonna give it a couple more weeks to see if more improvement occurs.."

Nana tonya (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was on Acutane for acne. However, it caused my IBS. I was in severe pain. I tried diet changes and that seemed to help. My doctor gave me this wonderful pill! If i take it every night, I have almost no pain. I would recommend this to anyone! The only side effect that I have is a dry mouth, but I can handle that any day!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "I have had insomia for months. Dr started me on Elavil 10mg for sleep, within a half hour I'm a sleep. I have not slept this good in a long time. I am not a zombie either in the mornings. I feel very good when I awake. Best thing."

Feefee40215 May 18, 2016

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I have had interstitial cystitis for 2 months. Had it 10 yrs ago but it came back. Tried an herb marshmallow root helped a little. I kept reading that anti inflammatories help so I took naproxen for 4 days the pain stopped. Took it for a total of a week I have been pain free for a week now I know why so many websites suggested it"

A H May 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I was given amitriptyline 50mg for migraine. I also take serzone. I was taking 250 MG when amitriptyline was prescribed. I now take 150mg but am still taking 50mg of amitriptyline. I have had seratonin syndrome in the past. Is the ratio of Serzone and amitriptyline safe or will it cause me to have seratonin syndrome again."

Chris. May 16, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "It gave more energy"

pidgion (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This has worked very well for me.I Still have bouts now and then, but nothing like before the medication. I take 25 mg per day. If I am having cramps and/or frequent loose stools, I'll take an additional 12.5 mg (split a 25mg tab) during the day. I take the 25 at night, which also aids in sleep. Only negative side affect is some mild to moderate urine retention. This is in part due to also having BPH. But the goods outweigh the negatives."

Redmustang96 May 13, 2016

For Pain: "Was depressed with Psychologie and pains. Amitriptyline was prescribt. It is very good. Side effect are dry mouth and dizziness but works really"

Mosesking (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was given 10mg a night of amitriptyline for insomnia. I slept all night but was very dopey the next day so now take half (5mg). I'm still a bit slow in the morning but am sleeping well. I just have a dry mouth next morning. Not much of a price to pay."

Mon Somnifère May 10, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have fibromyalgia and suffered with anxiety and migraines also menopause is setting in. More recently I had an mri and they also found a syrinx ( cyst like in my spinal cord) in the neck area. I have taken anti depessants before and have reacted badly too them. Amitryptiline 10mg at night was offered to me to help with sleep and pain. It's great, I sleep through no more toilet trips or lying awake all night. I have an interest in life again I had become quite house bound but I'm up and about even walked round town which I haven't done in years. It's only a small dose and it's worked brilliantly."

Ally800 May 8, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "well, i have fibromyalgia. my doc gave me gabapentin or something like that, which made my pain lower, but then again, i was asleep, because it made me sooo sleepy, and angry, very very very angry, and crying spells, ugh!, I did not want any more pills, but my doc gave me amitriptyline hcl 10, but after reading the reviews i am honestly afraid to drink it... i feel lost...but i was told to go Paleo diet, which i researched and heard good things about. I may go Paleo and pill, and see what helps me more."

njm1 May 8, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I hate this medicine I think I ruined me I lost a year of my life on this pill I didn't do anything for my migraines at all, I slept for up to 16 hours a day on it and it made me stupid. I became a d average student my jr year of high school if I accidentally missed a days dose I would have to skip school because I would be puking all day because of it. I absolutely hate the medicine if you can't tell."

August19 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "Have been taking for over 1 week now and after have all over fibromyalgia pain as well as night sweats, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 60 days to really work but I felt better after one day."

KYGrl133 May 6, 2016

For Insomnia: "Been taking it for 4 months and while it does give me a full nights sleep 8 to 10 hrs finally ☺ I am super stupid the next day until 3 or 4 and have very little motivation or energy so have decided to stop taking it."

Toosleepy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2016