User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 105 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Insomnia

"I've been taking this medicine by 50 mg each day, but it doesn't work for insomnia. It has many side effects. Some time I sleep and another time I don't and it sends me to insomnia. What other alternative medicine that I can use?"

Kelly (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2018

"I think amitriptyline is a great medication for insomnia.... I just wish I was put on it sooner!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 29, 2018

"It is important to know that research shows that even very low doses amitriptyline increases the risk of dementia/Alzheimer’s when taken for an extended period. See: Cumulative Use of Strong Anticholinergics and Incident Dementia, JAMA Intern Med. "

Nicolas (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2018

"Amitriptyline did help me to sleep but this drug aggravated my RLS (like benadryl, as they act the same generally). I added 300mg - 600mg of gabapentin and that stopped the RLS altogether, and is apparently safer than an NSAID for pain (check with your Dr. of course). It also gives me heartburn but a 150 or 300mg generic ranitidine (Zantac) takes care of that."

wcforan (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2018

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Elavil 10mg was prescribed mainly for my 24/7 migraine type symptoms and increasing nerve pain. But also for these symptoms now keeping me up at night. I was always a decent sleeper. But 2 yrs ago as the “head bounce” increased so did my upset over it, and it caused chronic insomnia. Elavil works well for nerve pain. I found even handling jigsaw pieces felt like knives cutting into my fingers. Pleasant right? Elavil allowed me to NOT feel that pain! Insomnia. - works! However a month ago- after the third night it increased my head pain. Like sharp stabs. Soooooo. I take 10mg once every few weeks. I realize that isn’t protocol but don’t care. I mix my bedtime routine with an occasional Benadryl and nothing at all. Then another Elavil. Took the Elavil after not taking it for a month last night. Was able to catch up after 2 bad nights. Ahhhhhhhh...... slept very well. Bottle goes back into drawer for another few weeks"

Pricklypear (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2018

"I was put on this after having Post Partum depression. And not sleeping because of it after I had my Son. My Doctor knew I needed to sleep badly ! He started me off on 100mg a day in the morning and at night. It has dry mouth side effects and a bit dizzy but not bad and after 2 weeks , I was feeling way better. I could cope with having a new baby and sleep at night !! The side effects go away after about 3 months and you just feel normal . He had me lower the dose to 50mg just at night and it helps very very much for sleep. I have been on this for 25 years and I lowered my dose clear down to 10mg a night. There are times I go up to 25mg or 50mg but I always come down when the crisis of something is over. If your looking for a good pill , its this one. Its been around forever and it works for pain as well like with migraines. And yes you do gain weight but I'd rather sleep at night and try to control my appetite ! Its a good pill I think. Out of all of them, this one works good."

Mary (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2018

"I don't think there will ever be a "natural" any replacement... This is the only thing I can take to help me sleep. I need to be sharp at work. I work out every morning and practice every weekend. I'm late 30s but I still have to take amytriptiline. I'm back at 25mg (from 100-50mg) over the years. But I don't think I could ever had a city job and decent sleep without this..."

rjhacker (taken for 10 years or more) January 30, 2018

"Minimal sedation, however manages the provoking factors for insomnia well: migraine, neuropathic pain, anxiety."

Chronic Insomniac (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 27, 2017

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I've had insomnia for 2 years now. I think I've been on every prescribed and otc meds out there. I was frustrated. Until I asked about elavil and it was a god send. The only side effect I noticed was constipation. Maybe increase in appetite too."

Cdontask (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2017

"I just started this med for insomnia and anxiety. The dr told me to take 75mg. I got super dizzy, and had to have my husband help me to bed. After reading other comments, I just think I took too much to start with. Maybe I will cut a pill in half and try that. I need something, that's for sure.."

jenny3060 November 30, 2017

"I'm prescribed 200mg nightly for depression/ borderline personality disorder along with qutepine 600mg . Amitripyline are so sedating for me which I like , it's better than any benzodiazepines like temazepam . The trick is take your dose for bedtime about 2 hours before you want to sleep . For me I take mine around 8pm -9pm and I'm gone by 11pm some nights it takes only an hour other nights 3 hours but they're great for sleep . I was once taken off them in hospital and nothing compared. Word of advise - do not drink alcohol unless it's hours and hours before you take your dose. I've blacked out drinking and taking them after drinking loads ."

Shellydizzy November 6, 2017

"I was prescribed this drug for both pain and sleep due to severe osteoarthritis 20 mg 2 - 3 hours before bed to help me sleep and also 7.5mg of Zopiclone (lunesta) to be taken only if unable to sleep after 2 hours. This combination works wonders after weaning off this drug 3 weeks later the pain and insomnia returned and after 1 week of only 2 hrs sleep a night I am now back on Amitriptyline was tried on gabapentin as well but that had no added benefit but that caused weight gain and water retention"

the storm fisherman (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 30, 2017

"Only lasts for a month, no matter what I couldn't concentration."

ReservedGene (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 26, 2017

"I'm a 38 yr old female and have been taking this med for insomnia. I started on 25mg, now take 50mg at bed time. This works wonderful for me with no side effects. I was on only 25mg for years, never had to go up on dose until I had some other medical issues. I've tried Remiron for sleep as well as Ambien. Remiron was a bit much, was knocked out 8hrs or more, easily. Elavil is the best, please don't ever take it off the market, I wouldn't know what to do!!"

nique669 (taken for 10 years or more) October 21, 2017

"I started taking Amitriptyline for insomnia about one year ago. This is not the type of drug that makes you fall asleep like Lunesta or Ambien does. What it does do is help keep you asleep. I had not only insomnia, but what they call "fragmented sleep." Even if I managed to fall asleep, I was waking several times a night, about once every hour. Amitriptyline is the only drug I've ever taken that keeps me asleep. Instead of waking five or six times a night, I now wake up only once or twice. I still have to take Lunesta to fall asleep. So for insomnia I give Ami a big thumbs up. But a very bad side effect of the medication for me is rapid weight gain. I've gained about 40 pounds in a year. It makes my body cling to every calorie I eat."

Sloppy Taco October 14, 2017

"I was prescribed Amitriptyline for insomnia after having a negative experience with taking Ambien. Ambien worked fine until its side effects kicked in then I stopped taking it because the side effects were unreasonable. Amitriptyline helped me sleep until one night I awoke to buzzing in my ears/head. From reasoning there might be lifelong buzzing in my head I discontinued the Amitriptyline. Shortly after discontinuing the buzzing went away and never returned. Bottome line: there are much better oral's to take to assist in sleeping. I feel Amitriptyline did however correct a brain imbalance that was produced by the Ambien; and I found the culprit to my insomnia: I have an adrenaline allergy, from stress, anxiety and screen-time."

Bhama September 29, 2017

"I take 50mg every night before bed to help with sleeping."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 26, 2017

"I am a senior and was given amitriptyline for sleep. I found that 10mg was too strong and made me very groggy in the AM. Cutting the 10mg in half has worked very well for me. I only take it if I have had poor sleep 2 nights in a row,. It knocks me out for 7-8 hours."

larsat (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 2, 2017

"Started taking this to help me get off Lunesta. Taking 10mg. For me, it does NOT put me to sleep like a sleeping pill. It makes me very tired but doesn't knock me out. But, it's supposed to help with early morning awakening when you can't get back to sleep. I believe it does help with that. I find you want to take it early, like at 8:00 p.m. if you want to feel sleepy at 10:00 p.m. Also, you WILL be drowsy the next morning - another reason to take it early. I actually started taking it at 7:00 p.m. to help with the morning drowsiness. Again, the down side of this medication is that you will be very drowsy in the evening if you take it early and/or you will be drowsy in the morning!!!"

SpazzyLee (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2017

"I have been taking amitriptyline for about 9 years now. I always take 10 mg. I read there are people who take a very high dosage. In a high dosage it does not work for insomnia but for depression. It is better to start with 10 mg. When you start taking them you can have side effects, but these will disappear in time. When you are very busy in your head, it is possible that it won't work that night. But don't give up. I take it about 2.5 hours before going to bed. But don't use a high dosage, it won't work for your insomnia. It is an excellent pain killer as well, in a lower dosage. And with 10 mg it is very easy to stop taking it, I did that a couple of times without any problems."

Dutchiedutch August 16, 2017

"My mother is an elderly user of this Med and was sent a letter by her health insurance. The letter stated it can cause falling in ageing users."

Lil B August 16, 2017

"10-12.5 mg for insomnia works well. I will take it earlier to avoid grogginess. It also helps with the low mood you develop when you don't sleep well."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2017

"Helps me fall asleep but the higher mg I take the more hungover I feel the next day. 25mg works best for me and 5-6 hours sound sleep"

high mg = high hangover (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2017

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I told my doctor about my symptoms and he told me that my symptoms did not appear in his medical handbook so he disregarded my symptoms completely. He said it was mandatory for him to report any symptom not listed in his book to the proper health authorities to update the handbook. However, he didn't report the side effects that I told him about because it was "too much paperwork." Instead, he tried to convince me that it had nothing to do with Elavil and in a threatening demeanour tried to change my mind about my symptoms so that he would not be forced to do any paperwork. After reading this site on Elavil, I see the symptoms that I told my doctor about. I find that my doctor acted in an unsafe, unprofessional, and negligent manner."

John AB (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

"I was given 10mg Amitriptyline for insomnia, anxiety and migraines. It didn't seem to help the insomnia much, even with taking .25mg - .5mg Klonopin. So the doctor gave me 25mg Amitriptyline which I just couldn't tolerate. Gave me worse insomnia, nightmares, even some bruises and muscle spasms in my back, which I'm assuming is related to the medication. I'm going to go back down to the 10mg and see what happens. I'm so sad because I've been reading all of these great reviews, and was really hoping it would help. I'm underweight, and just very sensitive to most medicines. So I would say give it a try, since it works differently for everyone. I will update soon."

sak9210 (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017