User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Insomnia

"This medicine makes me feel tired, but won't let me sleep due to jittery feeling. This is not a good medicine for sleep. Have to turn over about every five minutes to get rid of jittery feeling. This medicine should not be taken for sleep at all."

MilesRi July 20, 2016

"I have been on 20mg amitriptyline for some years now due to really bad insomnia. I don't really know if it works as some nights I sleep ok and others hardly at all. However never felt groggy in morning nor had a dry mouth (unlike when I have taken zopliclone and other sleeping pills). This week for example has been awful. Every night hardly slept a wink. So went docs yday and he said to increase dosage up to 50mg. Took 40mg last night and will see how that goes. Insomnia is just the worst thing ever, really envy those people who can sleep on a washing line!"

Insomnialala (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2016

"I was given this for my horrible migraine and for my insomnia. I was prescribe 20 ml every night and I must say is a life saver, I'm a full time student and I had a tumor removed from my spine and after that i wasn't able to sleep like before and my migraine went five level up, horrible, but this medicine is the best thing ever. The first week i tried it made me SOOOO hungry so i stopped it for like a month but my migraine was killing me i started it again no more side effects, I have energy for my day, it worked out great for me"

KABM04 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2016

"I am a major insomniac, I was first prescribed trazadone (first 50 mg then 100 then 200) although the 200mg gave me excessive sweating at night as a side effect, plus trazadone only helps you to get to sleep, not stay asleep. so my doc recudes traz to 100 and put me on ami 25mg I find amitryptamine 25mg does'nt help me get to sleep, the trazadone initially puts me to sleep and I find ami gives me a full nights kip without waking up alot, I'd reccommend trazadone + ami together if your doctor is willing to put you on both @ same time."

ChrisBb June 21, 2016

"Works alright but loses effectiveness over time, so i only take every now and then."

Spe77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2016

"absolutely horrendous - I don't understand how anybody can take these drugs. All it did was put me in a fog and laid awake for hours on end. My doctor wanted me to try something besides Ambien, because it causes dependency - big deal - at least I can get some sleep. The only plus would be the cost - 13 cents for 30 pills. Not worth it though."

bad attitude June 12, 2016

"I take 100mgs of Elavil at night. It takes a couple of hours to kick in, but when it does,it is the most blissful sleep ever. I also take it for GAD and it has worked better than Xanex, Attivan or Klonopin. I am calm for the first time in a long, long time."

AngelWolf12 June 11, 2016

"Had insomnia ever since I can remember, when I went to the doctor he prescribed me amitriptyline 25mg it does not help at all. It makes me fell like a zombie, and it makes me feel "dull". I talk slow, and feel like I can't stand, but when I do sleep I sleep way too well. It's hard to wake up and when I do I feel tired all day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I have had insomia for months. Dr started me on Elavil 10mg for sleep, within a half hour I'm a sleep. I have not slept this good in a long time. I am not a zombie either in the mornings. I feel very good when I awake. Best thing."

Feefee40215 May 18, 2016

"I was given 10mg a night of amitriptyline for insomnia. I slept all night but was very dopey the next day so now take half (5mg). I'm still a bit slow in the morning but am sleeping well. I just have a dry mouth next morning. Not much of a price to pay."

Mon Somnifère May 10, 2016

"Been taking it for 4 months and while it does give me a full nights sleep 8 to 10 hrs finally ☺ I am super stupid the next day until 3 or 4 and have very little motivation or energy so have decided to stop taking it."

Toosleepy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2016

"I have been on Ambien for many years and it stopped working for me. My dr. has tried some other meds, but so far nothing seems to work. I've been on Elavil for about a week now and it seems as if I'm taking a sugar pill. It's just not working for me I wish it did work as well for as it has for others."

Mikesntx (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

Endep (amitriptyline): "Been on endep 10mg for 4 weeks .for insomnia. Although it helps me sleep the longer I take it the dopier I get during day. Feel like I am permanently sedated. Like my brain is shrinking and my head is full of cotton wool all day. No motivation to do anything.."

Theg (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

"I been taking this for over 2 years for insomnia, anxiety and mild depression and it changed my life. For the first time in 20 years i sleep like a baby."

kcladyz (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2016

"I was prescribed 50mg and the first time I took it this way WAY too high of a dosage. I felt drowsy for the entire day the next day like I was on drugs. I was prescribed this a few months go and I still have a many pills left because I only take it when I feel like I won't be able to sleep and I cut the pill in half so that it's only 25mg. I usually sleep like a baby but it is really hard to wake up. If I take it on the weekend I end up sleeping about 10 hours. I still feel pretty drowsy with 25mg but it wears off by the middle of the day."

Gabs747 March 9, 2016

"I was prescribed this at a low dose for various sleep problems associated with CFS/ME. Helps tremendously with remaining asleep (used to wake up 4-8 times a night) but basically completely useless aiding someone who has trouble getting to sleep - one of my main problems. Horrific and vivid nightmares frequently occurring since I've been taking it & v. dry mouth. Staying on it as GP very reluctant to give me anything stronger for my sleep unfortunately"

sineadkb (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2016

"Excellent for sleep. Take 10mg at bedtime & sleep extremely well with no groggy feeling in the morning. Love it!! Dry mouth sucks but totally worth it & super cheap!"

Fifi78 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2016

"I was prescribed this for restless leg syndrome which was affecting my sleep. I've now been taking it for 3 years, 10mg initially. It allows me to slip into sleep if taken about 2 hrs before I go to bed. If I do wake it allows me to get back to sleep easily. The initial dry mouth etc soon went and I am delighted with the ongoing ease with which I can sleep."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 28, 2016

"My sleep cycle got disrupted due to stress. Was not happy with ambien or lunestra, I felt like both knocked me out and I would not know if the house was burning down. Take 30mg of elavil. Now I just sleep like a regular person. I can wake up, take a leak, go back to bed, sleep away. I regularly sleep 8 to 10 hours with this, which I never had previously in my lifetime. I do get super sticky tongue due to the dry mouth. However, that is a small price to pay to sleep. I am extremely happy with the medicine. I have been to Europe twice from the west coast with the least amount of jet lag ever. I actually slept on the plane! Works for me."

I can sleep now (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2016

"I have been on amitrip for a few years now. At first, perhaps for 2 years, my migraines were less and I slept well. Now I'm not sleeping well at all and often take a sleeping pill at 2 to 3 am. I'm on 20mg but cut down to 15mg before Christmas. I was ok for a month then had 3 migraines in 3 weeks. So now I'm back on 20mg but going to start on a course of 400mg ribiflavin hoping that will help the migraines and I can finally give up the amitrip. Don't pay for medication. I'm 70 this year."

steelysteph February 11, 2016

"I've been on 20 mg of amitriptyline at bedtime for insomnia for 6 years now. I had been on valium after a bout with acute stress disorder, but found it highly addictive and found myself going to my shrink not for therapy, but just to get my RX renewed. I knew then that I had to get off the valium. My GP suggested the amitriptyline, and it is great. No side effects, and it LETS me sleep, it doesn't MAKE me sleep. It also lets me get back to sleep if I have to get up at night to use the bathroom. My doc told me to start with 10 mg and move up by 10 mg increments until I found a dose that worked but that didn't leave me hung over the next day. 10 mg worked. 30 mg put me in a fog til noon the next day. 20 mg has been perfect!"

Gaitero (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2016

"I'm 19 and have been taking this medicine for insomnia since I was 8 or 9 years old (It's been so long that I can't recall exactly when I started). It is the only thing that can put me to sleep as my insomnia is so bad that if I don't take amitriptyline, I will be up for days. The only issue is that it does make me very groggy in the morning, but that could just be due to the fact that I am a teenager."

igwend (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2016

"I've been taking 50mg for 5 yrs and its brilliant. It takes about two hrs to start taking effect and then I drift off easily to a deep sleep. I was given this for insomnia. I have had no side effects at all and my emotional state is normal. I cry at a sad movie and laugh at a funny one. This tablet has literally changed my life for the better."

Faffa December 13, 2015

"I got prescribed with one 10mg tablet of amitriptyline to take everynight towards 9PM, though as it is non-addictive, my Doctor said I could play around with taking 2-3 tablets if I'm stressed -- I have however found one to be largely sufficient, at least for me. Saying it's has been a wonder drug for me would be an understatement: I will take it and within 30 minutes to 2 hours, I will drift off into a deep, albeit pleasant sleep, but it gets better: I do not feel groggy when waking and wake up naturally at a time that's convenient for me. I have never been more productive in my whole life. You might get some unusual sensations in your head the first few days, but they aren't bothersome in the slightest."

NicknameTaken November 25, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I hate this medicine. It is terrible. I almost feel like it wakes me up when I take it! It's the worst sleep medicine I have ever taken!"

Cristylc32 November 20, 2015