User Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Neuropathic Pain

Amitriptyline has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 20 ratings for the treatment of Neuropathic Pain. 50% of those users who reviewed Amitriptyline reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Neuropathic Pain.

Reviews for Amitriptyline

vedawms · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 5, 2021

“I've been taking Amitriptyline 125 mg for 3 years now. It relieves my shingles and pancreatic-related nerve damage in my back, and eases my anxiety. I've been suicidal when trying to reduce my dosage. It makes it impossible to wake up in the mornings, and I have urinary retention issues. I've had repeated episodes of excruciating chest pain with very sudden onset. I take nitroglycerin spray to control them. My doctors have assumed that the chest pain was a result of Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction following gallbladder removal. This week I had dental work (2 days in a row), and was given Septocaine 4% with 1:100,000 epinephrine. Both days, after returning home, I developed excruciating chest pain. The only way to stop the pain was 3 hits of nitroglycerin spray. It turns out that there is a serious interaction risk between Amitriptyline and Epinephrine -- enough to cause a heart attack. Amitriptyline by itself has heart attack as a potentially fatal complication.”

Sheeeeela · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 27, 2021

“Using amitriptyline responsibly and keeping a low dosage, this drug has helped massively combined with pregabalin, same with the dosage. I use this for Chiari malformations, degenerative disc disease, spondylitis and crushed discs Because of the chronic pain I was left debilitated, in agony and as a result depressed. The two above-mentioned drugs, give me some normality back and they seem to stay in your system for 24 hours. I can't thank my old Dr enough for trying various medications until these two worked. No side affects other than drowsiness so taken before bed”

Bruce · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2021

“I’ve been taking amitriptyline for 5 months to manage chronic nerve pain in both legs and feet. I’ve experimented with very low (5-10mg) to moderate (40-60mg) doses in an attempt to find the right level to manage my pain and with out the side-effects. I’ve found tweaking the dose up and down depending on how my body feels each day is quite effective. I typically range between 30-45mg a day. While quite effective at reducing nerve pain (around 50-70%) there are persistent side effects. Heart palpitations, headaches, tinnitus, fatigue and short term memory issues - all tolerable compared to unchecked nerve pain. The drug also helps greatly with duration of sleep each night which in-turn assists in managing pain and mood.”

GG1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

“Aimtriptyline is a great medication. After over 10 years taking strong pain killers as and when for neuropathic pain , I went to drs and said enough is enough , I want something else. I was prescribed this drug and it's amazing. One pill a day and I feel normal. I'm absolutely over the moon. However ..... There is usually a however ..... The dreaded weight gain , I've put on around 3 stone in around 4 months and no longer fit into my clothes. I walk 10,000 steps Monday to Friday and then walk for 3 hours Saturday and Sunday and the weight will not shift ( again like other people it's the stomach where the weight has accumulated). I'm now at a loss as I am so happy that I can do things without discomfort , however , it comes at a price , I've only been on the tablets for 4 months and I'm worried that I'll keep on gaining weight , so I'm telling myself that I'll have to come to a decision at the 6 month mark. Anyway - hope this review helps anybody as this site has really helped me.”

Jp · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2020

“I started having horrific tooth ache pain January 2020, had a root canal done but the pain still lingered horrifically, Even moving into different parts of my head and face. I took a variety of medications and nothing worked until I started taking 25mg of Amitriptyline at night. This pill has drastically changed my life. My pain is virtually non-existent, I’ve had no side effects, no weight gain. It has not increased my mood but has not worsened it. I still experience depression and anxiety, but I’ve struggled with that for many years. My dose recently has been bumped up to 50mg a night. If I miss a day, I usually have significant pain. Anyways, this pill is seriously a miracle. I was suffering so much before this pill came along.”

Lisab79 May 16, 2019

“I take 50mg of this amitriptyline for diabetic nerve pains and it does work for me very well. The only downside for me is dry mouth and a little groggy feeling, but that is small and I can handle that better then the numbness and pain in my legs and feet ....”

Mmm · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2020

“Had a particularly nasty infection due to diverticulosis and developed a form of IBS afterwards. After 7 months of constant pain and massive weight loss I got to see a specialist who prescribed Amytriptyline. Started on 25mg which was awful just way too much. Felt so weird. Anyway GP changed dose to 5mg for a week then 10mg etc till back up to 25mg after a month. Amazing. It has been a life changer. No more pain. Can eat and enjoy life again. Have been taking it for 11 months. Have to drink plenty of water and other drinks so I don't get constipated but all in all as others have said , a life saver. Sleep pretty solidly and getting up is a bit tough but other than that all is good.”

Shay · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2019

“I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in January after 2 years of struggling with sometimes debilitating symptoms. When they started I had a doctor that ran zero tests, gave me gabapentin and sent me on my way. With a switch of insurance I was referred to a neurologist who diagnosed me within 4 months. I told him I did not like the gabapentin because I felt that it would work for a few weeks then they would up the dose again and it became a viscous cycle (600mg 3 times a day). So he offered this med to me and I have never been happier with a medication. The MS diagnosis caused depression and some anxiety. This med has helped my pain level, my mood, my sleep. I have had zero side effects other than it does make you sleepy! Sometimes sluggish in the morning, but once I get up and moving I am good! I currently take 20mg at bedtime and will start 30mg tomorrow night. I recommend this medication for pain and mood.”

Gary R · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 4, 2020

“I used amitriptyline for about 7 years. It was very helpful for sleep. But this is a "dirty old drug" according to my Phd wife. Over time I suffered constipation and dry mouth. The dry mouth destroyed my teeth enamel. So far my dental work has cost me $16,000 and counting. Beware of this!”

Dolly · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2019

“I tried this a while ago for 3 days but it was so bad, shaking, sleeping all day so stopped. Then 1 month later tried amitriptyline again as pain from shingles so bad, I nearly gave up again after 3 days but now 7 days later it works I wake up fine I take 7pm at night ok in morning on 10 mg every nite pain nearly gone. I'm just so thankful I kept going only thing is not sleeping as much”

Glee_again · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 31, 2020

“I took Amitriptyline for almost 1.5 years. It helped with my pain, but it caused side effects. I would have racing heart episodes and weird numbness/tingling in hands and arms. I called 911 twice while on this due to freaking out from the unusual symptoms. The paramedics told me amitriptyline can do strange things go people. I know this first hand. I finally got off of it a month ago and no more racing heart spells or numb/tingly arms and hands. I had a week of somewhat restless nights weaning off this, but nothing unmanageable. It really did help my pain though and I didn’t realize how much it did until I came off of it. I have to try some other meds now since I can’t go back on this due to the heart effects.”

Liv November 10, 2020

“I took this for two months for nerve pain. It gradually helped somewhat and it did help me get to sleep easily. However I felt immense brain fog every day and lost motivation or energy to do much at all. I also found I was getting random bouts of depression and anxiety. Since quitting I have so much more energy and my mood has returned to normal.”

Capt Tom November 27, 2019

“20mg seems to numb my polyneuropathy and low back pain as well as oxycodone, but without the drugged up feeling which is good but not as much sedative effect at night as I had hoped, I still have trouble sleeping. And it does cause some sexual disfunction which is the downside.”

Bobby · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2021

“Been on amitriptyline for 2 months at low dose (5 mg each night). It has helped I little for neuropathic pain from paralytic polio (from when I was 2) but has also helped with sleep. Also greatly reduced migraine & auras. Was on pregabalin but the side effects for me made it not worth the benefits. So far so good.”

MJ · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2019

“I was taking Amitriptyline for my migraine / facial nerve pain suspected trigeminal neuralgia (TN). I am a 40 year old woman. Happy, single, enjoying life and then I take this medication. I had severe side effects. This made me depressed, I didn't want to leave the house, dry mouth... wanted to sleep and eat all the time. I'm giving this a 2 rating only because I slept so well. I told my dr no more anti-depressants to treat my TN... This was the only prescription medication I was taking”

BobW · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2019

“I was given amitriptyline for sciatic pain, along with 30mg codeine. Both helped with the pain and with sleeping, once the most severe acute sciatica had eased a bit. After about 6 weeks on 20mg a day, I woke up a couple of times with my heart rate loud in my ears and resting pulse of 90bpm, way above what it should be. This appears to be a common side effect and one I wasn’t happy with. 4 weeks after my last dose of amitryptiline and codeine, I fall asleep ok, but wake up within an hour and cannot get back into a restful sleep. I’d be cautious about taking this stuff and wish I hadn’t started.”

A March 13, 2021

“I had chronic headaches as well as depression and anxiety. 10mg of Amitriptyline has stopped all headaches, and I generally am in a better mood. I'm not sure whether it is actually helping my depression chemically, or reducing headaches to put me in a better mood, overall it’s definitely helped.”

Jim · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 30, 2019

“After a motorcycle accident I have had neck pain and headaches for 15 years. Went on endep and most of pain has subsided so Doc was right about nerve pain. I would like to increase from 20mg to see if can touch my bad moods.”

Liliantan · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 27, 2020

“Had trigeminal neuralgia 16 days after shingles on right side of face. Took amitriptyline 25mg for 8 weeks. My scalp pain 6/10 was instantly gone on first night but facial pain 4/10 persists till today since July 2020. I'm using heat compress only for relief now.”

Stol · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

“Amitript didnt help with the neuropathy, merely drugged up, feels like a mild bad trip.”

DeanBNE · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 17, 2021

“Very good for my spinal damage but I can’t process it properly due to my cyp2d6 enzyme problem”