User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"Be careful if you have IBS-C as this can make it worse, particularly at high doses, try and take it at a low dose if you do for anxiety which is good for numbing in IBS in general. However seeing as IBS-C is basically an issue with bowels not moving fast enough you can imagine how adding a sedative essentially isn't really the best thing to add lol made mine so much worse after a year, anyways what works for some doesn't always work for others, good luck whatever you do :-)"

Jenny11145 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After a long period of stress I developed functional dyspepsia, which included ulcer-like pain, lots of belching, a horrible taste in my mouth, and nausea. It got so bad that I was struggling to eat anything at all without being in pain; I lost weight and started to become depressed because I felt like life wasn't worth living. In desperation, and after a lot of online research, I went to my doctor and asked for amitriptyline. I started on 10mg at night, and my symptoms began to disappear almost instantly. By day 4 or 5 I was virtually symptom-free. I upped my dose to an extra 10mg in the morning, to ensure that the effect didn't wear off during the day. I can now pretty much eat what I like, and I have hope for the future! Give it a try :)"

Katy_M (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took this for IBS-C for about 2 months, 10 mg. Worked great for pain, even a bit for my anxiety. Unfortunately, gave me hard stools which was already a problem. Took more miralax and it helped with that. Still made me drowsy after a month. I suggest taking in the early in the evening so you don't feel groggy in the morning."

Slowpope December 8, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Since being on amitriptyline my IBS symptoms are pretty much not there. I used to be in horrific pain all day everyday and would even feel hot, dizzy and in so much pain that I would actually faint off the toilet. I didn't want to leave the house and IBS literally took over my life. I never write any reviews like this but if I can help even just one IBS sufferer then it's worth it. I gradually increased my dose to 50mg per night. Seems like a lot but it's worth it in order to live a normal 21 year old girls life. For the first week I did get the side effects (tired, dry mouth, a bit faint) but after that I felt absolutely fine again. Please try this drug, I didn't think it would work but it did and I have honestly never been happier!"

Abigail1234 December 6, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had IBS so bad I was living on 8 Imodium a day, just to be able to function. Any less than 8 tablets, and I would be on the toilet all day. I even switched from working days to working a low stress night job as a caregiver because my stomach was calmer at night. I also had really bad migraines. I was averaging 12-15 migraine days a month. Finally, I went to the doctor and told him about both of my problems. He suggested amitriptyline to control both issues. Within a month I could tell a major difference. I've been taking 50 mg every night for about 2 years now. My stomach still gets mildly sensitive occasionally. But I rarely get diarrhea and never have to take Imodium anymore. My migraines are down to about 4 or 5 a month."

Chickaboo72 November 25, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had IBS -c&d since I was a kid and it worsened as I got older. I learned within the past year that Lactose and wheat irritates it greatly causing severe pain, diarrhea and bloating. Until 2 months ago I had just resigned myself to having this problem and the depression/anxiety that comes with it. I finally saw a gastroenterologist 2 months ago and he took the time to go over my symptoms and some tests. Finally he suggested Elavil at a dose of 20mg at night since it can have a sedative effect. After 2 weeks I felt WONDERFUL! I felt normal! This has been a medical God send. We might increase the dose to 50mg in a few months since I am on 3 other medications for my bipolar which can lower the effectiveness of Elavil."

Sissy Jay (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After years of pain and many visits to the gastro doctors, the use of this drug has changed everything for me. I had periods in which I lost over 30 pounds and impossible for me to eat without bloating and extreme pain. Although dairy products and wheat are still impossible for me to eat, with the use of this drug and a proper diet I can have almost a normal life. It took me over three years to find a doctor that insisted on the use of this drug and its benefits for IBS and visceral hyperalgesia. It took me 4-6 weeks to start seeing the results. I' ve been on this medication now for three years, Im 41 years old, male. The dose I take is 50 mg per day."

OFV (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 3, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had IBS my whole life. I'm 25 now and it was getting bad every time I ate I got sick I started to lose weight. Doctor thought maybe my anxiety was making my IBS worse. I have been taking this medication for two weeks now and haven't got sick once. Side effects : dry mouth so I'm constantly drinking water , no sex drive , and gas. But I think it's worth it ! I feel great"

Ambcol21 (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been suffering for years with ibs c and d,I was in Severe pain every day had no social life fed up depressed.until I took this drug amitrPtyline I urge any one suffering to please try this drug it works has totally changed my life all I take is 20mg a night i can basically eat what I want before I could not eat wheat, dairy and now I can please try this drug 10 out of 10 I know what it is like to suffer you feel like life is not fair that you are always feeling unwell when all your family and friends are fine,please try this drug and good luck"

Lukee111 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am a 48 year old male in good shape but started experience horrible gas no matter what I ate which went on for months. I woke up with cramps which lasted to mid morning. I did not have constipation nor diarrhea just bad gas even on a simple diet of rice, toast and bananas. My Dr diagnosed IBS and gave me 20mg of Amitripyline at night. 10mg for the first week then 20mg every night. After the second week the cramping was 95% better and the gas was completely gone. As an added benefit it took the edge off certain work related stress. I am very happy my Dr put me on this medication."

VoltronMan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a bowel moment problem since I was child .in early stage the bowel moment was less after some yrs it increased and with pain also. I use to feel uncomfortable due to it.in 2012 I did suffered from tuberculosis and then medicine were starter my bowel moment went normal and pain also disappeared for next one year.I did recovered from tuberculosis in 4 months but I did continued the medicine for 6 months. I have a gut feeling that tuberculosis medicines can overcome bowel and pain problem. Need a doctor who can start a research on this and let us know which is that medicine which was helpful to stop the IBS problem from the given medicine of tuberculosis."

Vishmean August 7, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Today is my 2nd day on this medication. I have ibd-d .I take 10mg at night. this med has started working from day 1 im so happy i finally feel normal, i could never be away from home i wasbalways scared that i needed to use the restroom . one day i would go many times i would never eat and i will always bee on inmodium thta will only work for me for a few hourd and then i would be back to the toilet , i could never be out some where longer then 2 hours i could never take my childre out to the part or anywhere with out beeing rushed to go home to be near a bathroom. the side effect that im experiensing right now is that im just sleepy throught the day and thirsty, i will come back in a few weeks to see how is it goin!"

im free (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been stricken with IBS-C for about 9 months. Have been through multiple GI's like most people with this syndrome, went through every test - to no avail. Bloating started as soon as I woke up and lasted all day with severe constipation every day. Have been on the SCD/FODMAP diet for the past 6 months, without much relief. My new GI prescribed this drug. I am taking a much higher dose than the other posters - 50mg once per night. This has given me SIGNIFICANT improvement - I would say at least 75% better. I am able to expand my diet now, and bloating is virtually non existent, even with those new foods. This has been a life changer. I do have the trouble urinating side effect, but only in the morning waking up. Rest of the day is fine."

Teepeetop (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been dealing with IBS for about 2 years now, NOTHING was working. The doctors tried everything to see if they could help my pain and stomach problems. About 1 month ago my doctor prescribed this medication and my stomach pains are 99% gone. I take a 10 mg pill every night and it not only helps with my IBS, it also helps with my anxiety. I would recommend this medication to anyone! I can start living the life that I had before IBS, its amazing!"

Vron07 May 25, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been battling Gastrointestinal problems from day one, but for the last two years, I've been suffering intolerable pain. two GP's and two gastroenerologists later I was still having problems with no clear diagnosis. Finally, I saw a new GP last week, that seemed to chalk my symptoms up to IBS, and she prescribed me this medication. I've only been on 1/2 a 25mg pill each evening for five days, and already my symptoms have vastly improved. There's brief pain for about 10 minutes occasionally, but it passes quickly now and is far less severe, and I'm not kept up all night by the pain anymore like before. No ill effects, as I take it in the evening about an hour before bedtime. This medication is a godsend for me!"

Big-E73 May 21, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given elavil for my migraine. .I've been taking 10 my for 1 week N now week 2 up to 20mg..I also have dealt with ibs-c..the migraine/headaches hav subsided a little..but my bloating N cramping N nausea r all still there..it did help my sleep the first week but I've had trouble sleeping on week 2..from the other testimonials on here I'm gonna give it a couple more weeks to see if more improvement occurs.."

Nana tonya (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Acutane for acne. However, it caused my IBS. I was in severe pain. I tried diet changes and that seemed to help. My doctor gave me this wonderful pill! If i take it every night, I have almost no pain. I would recommend this to anyone! The only side effect that I have is a dry mouth, but I can handle that any day!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This has worked very well for me.I Still have bouts now and then, but nothing like before the medication. I take 25 mg per day. If I am having cramps and/or frequent loose stools, I'll take an additional 12.5 mg (split a 25mg tab) during the day. I take the 25 at night, which also aids in sleep. Only negative side affect is some mild to moderate urine retention. This is in part due to also having BPH. But the goods outweigh the negatives."

Redmustang96 May 13, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Before starting this most mornings I always felt sick to my stomach and whenever I went out always had to make sure a bathroom was nearby. My doctor prescribed this to me at 5 MG a day to start slowly I got up to 10 MG a day and that is what I take now the only downside I've had with this pill is it makes me very tired for this reason I take it at night. We experimented with taking 10 MG one night then 5 MG the next it helped the tiredness but I was willing to deal with the tiredness in exchange for less pain I still have to stay away from foods that make me sick and it doesn't take away all pain but has helped tremendously and I'm very grateful for it."

Jnaomn April 26, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Incredible! I've been diagnosed with IBS since I was about 12. 12-18 it was stomach ache here and there, few bad nights etc. As I entered my 20s in got a lot worse. I'd have bad days and sometimes bad weeks. If affected my work and social life, I got anxiety when going out and just worried useless I was home and close to the bathroom. Tried different medication, some made me worse and some did nothing. After changing GPs I was put on Amitriptyline, I didn't hold out much hope but after 1 month I noticed the difference. It took me a while to adjust and after 4 years of using the drug I am 98% better. On and off have bad days, but due to me eating badly as I am intolerant to Dairy and Wheat. Give it ago for at least 6 months!"

Adam A (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After years of messing around with various diets, pills, etc - and getting down to 125 lbs (I'm a 51 year old male, 5'9") - Elavil has apparently cured my IBS-D. I still avoid dairy and spicy food (also have GERD) - but basically, I'm cured. I've also gained 25 lbs - which is actually too much. It does seem to increase your appetite. But - that's a trade-off I'm willing to make. I have no idea why I wasn't given this med by my GI guy. I was actually given it by my PCP for Anxiety, and I wanted something that wouldn't make my IBS-D worse."

Cruncher Block (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 6, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Life changing medication! Why I hadn't been prescribed amitriptyline years ago I cannot understand but after years of living 3 weeks bad out of every 4 in excruciating pain and the dreaded (D) I now have at least 98% better quality of life .....don't get me wrong I have odd days when I will have pains and to use the term my gastroentorologist used (explosions), but compared to life before ,its totally manageable .I Started on 10mg at bed time but upped it to 20mg and this works better, no adverse side affects and I have been using about a year now. Naturally suffering from I.B.S I watch what I eat carefully and everyone's different but for me it's really helped"

Westiemum1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I highly highly highly recommend using this medicine in treating and managing your IBS symptoms. I've been on it less than a month and with a combination of the medicine and a diet (staying away from fatty foods, fried foods, soda, chocolate and eating lots of fruit) I have found relief I thought I'd never find. I'm 18 years old and I've had my fair share of history in battling these symptoms, it was rough but with this medicine, it became a lot easier."

Max108714567 February 2, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Amitriptyline, Is an excellent choice for ibs."

RyderB January 9, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After trying many other medications & various limits on certain types of food, my Dr. ordered 10 mg at bedtime. Within 2 days, my Irritable Bowel was controllable. I still have to watch what I eat, but at least I can leave the house and have a normal life."

Miata Princess (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2015