User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Interstitial Cystitis.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Interstitial Cystitis

"I was put on this medication for interstitial cystitis and before I had suffered severe bladder and abdominal pain for almost 2 yrs before I discovered I had IC. I would have the most terrible bladder pain and not be able to walk or get out of bed or I would have severe bladder spasms and would wake up in the middle of the night and go sit in a hot bath to relieve the pain. The hot baths were the only thing that made the spasms not so so bad. One weekend I had a terrible flare up and the baths didn't work nothing did my doctor put me on 10 mg of amitriptyline and it has really been a huge life saver. I can't say I don't have flare ups now and then but the pain is now where near what it was."

Kelbell191 January 12, 2017

"I have had IC since 2013. I have been having negative urine tests thinking I had ITU. Went to a urologist and told me about IC. He really did nothing for me. I found a very experienced urologist that deals only with IC. Because I have Hunner's ulcers I have kenalog injections when an ulcer is present other wise I am on 10mlg of elavil nightly. Works very well for sleeping and less trips to the bathroom at night. Because of the weight gain I do belong to a weight loss group to help me stay away from gaining weight."

Linda125 December 22, 2016

"Just wanted to add more now that been taking longer. Positives - it's still working and at the low dose of 10mg. - Weirdly, I have lost weight although this seems like fluid and bloat loss but has amounted to half a stone. Issues - beginning to think I'm indestructible and after having tea and wine, I had a flare. However, the flare only lasted a day and I wasn't crying in pain. - changing brand from Actavis to Accord. Still working for IC but weirdly more unpleasant side effects, drowsiness, dry mouth and zombified feeling in morning. The difference was pretty immediate so I'm sure it's that. Perhaps other users should take note of brands. I will return to Actavis as this had no side effects whatsoever."

NickiJA (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

"Only been on it a week, but a miracle so far! I've suffered from IC for years had all the tests etc, a urologist recommended this to me 5 yrs. ago... I refused on the basis that it was an anti depressant, modified my diet and went into remission with only the odd flare. 6 months ago, I had another baby and a second C Section, this resulted in a 5 month long 'twinge period' with 4 excruciating flare ups. I was in the midst of a agonising flare up when I gave in and took 10mg of Amitriptyline! Next day still had twinges but no pain. The 2nd no twinges, no pain, just some urgency. 3rd feeling totally normal!! It's brilliant!! Still feeling normal after a whole week!! No side effects as yet, but not helping me sleep like I thought it would!"

NickiJA (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Unfortunately this medication had a very negative effect on me. I was supposed to take it for occasional nerve zaps that I get from having IC. When I took it, it didn't take the pain away. Instead it changed it into a CONSTANT burning pain which is way worse than the previous zaps. I stopped taking it, and although I was on a low dose 25mg a night, I got horrible withdrawal symptoms and am still dealing with panic attacks upon waking up. I know this drug has been a godsend for some people, but please be careful because it has the potential to make things way worse."

Adre6918 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

"I have had interstitial cystitis for 2 months. Had it 10 yrs ago but it came back. Tried an herb marshmallow root helped a little. I kept reading that anti inflammatories help so I took naproxen for 4 days the pain stopped. Took it for a total of a week I have been pain free for a week now I know why so many websites suggested it"

A H May 16, 2016

"I was diagnosed with IC after so many real UTIs and some that were not. I felt like I always had a UTI. In November of 2011, I was diagnosed. It was so severe I had the cystoscopy immediately. I started installations and took various medications. Getting on amitriptyline was great until 6 months later I was in day treatment not understanding why my mania and depression were off the chart. The doctors could not stabilize me and I was hospitalized twice for suicidal thoughts and psychosis. Just beware if you have mental illness, this medication may counteract bipolar and other mental health meds!!"

Tx mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

"14 yrs of chronic agony!!!! Amitriptyline, Strong Opiates & Diazepam work. "

Rebbie Rebel November 14, 2015

"I was diagnosed with IC when I was only 15 years old. The doctors were not sure what they should do because I was so young. My doctor decided to put me on amitriptline and immediately I saw improvements. I am now going to be 21 and still taking 50 mg of it every night before bed. This medication is the only one of my many medications (other health problems) that I will never stop taking. I would recommend this medication to anyone struggling with IC pain .definatly talk to your doctor about it!"

Keri13 October 24, 2015

"For my IC/PBS, I get bladder infections every two weeks, try as hard as I can to watch my diet (though it's difficult not to cheat), get pelvic floor physical therapy, take Uribel and Klonapin as needed, and take 25 mg of amitriptyline each night. When I first started taking it, after about a couple of weeks, I felt completely normal for the first time in months. No symptoms at all for about 4 weeks. Now I have some creeping back. I'm going to try upping my dose to 50 mg each night and see how I tolerate it. It does make you dopey in the morning at first, but that goes away eventually."

PSRoman (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2015

"The side effects were limiting especially tiredness and not sufficient pain relief."

Susi0103 August 17, 2015

"I started at 10 mg on this, but quickly went to 25 mg, as the pain was too much. Now I´ve levelled it to 20 mg per day, in the evening, and it has been wonderful, This, along with a careful diet, have helped and almost put in remission my IC symptoms. Side effects for me include grogginess, but that´s wearing away the more I take it and, for sure, a huge spike in my apetite, which I´ve had to be careful about as I don´t want to gain weight on it. It´s not a miracle drug, but it worked for me, and I think anyone suffering from this condition should give it a try."

anagum June 18, 2015

"Started on 10mg of amitriptyline for my Interstitial Cystitis related nerve pain. Went up to 20mg after a month and it has been a miracle at reducing my pain for the last six months that I have been on it. I haven't experienced any weight gain while on it. I felt groggy at first but that went away after a few weeks."

Saiiri (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2015

"I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis several months ago. The pain was so debilitating that I couldn't even see patients for about 3 days (I'm a dentist). The pain brought me to tears. I was afraid that I would have to go on disibility. My new urologist put me on amytripyline a few weeks ago. It worked almost immediately. Most days I'm almost pain-free. I got my life back."

Lara M. March 20, 2015

"This medication helps with flare ups and helps me sleep through the night. "

Tawanda619. (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2015

"This really has changed my life! I suffered a whole year thinking my urethral stricture was the cause, after that was sorted I still carried on with what felt like constant cystitis. My urologist finally diagnosed Interstitial Cystitis and started me on 20mg of amitriptyline. After 10-14days it worked! Have the very odd day of mild discomfort but it's changed my life. I haven't noticed side effects as yet, on my 9th week on them."

Hhf (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I didn't think this medication was working at all, but when I went off of it, I was in more pain than I'd ever experienced before. When I'd been back on it for about ten days, my pain was not gone, but it was certainly more tolerable."

nantsyb3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2014

"I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in March of this year. The first few weeks were some of the worst of my life. I changed my diet, was put on Elmiron, Zyrtec and Vesicare with zero relief in any symptoms. Was at the end of my rope when my PCP suggested Elavil. In 3 days my symptoms were nearly gone. Pain was gone. Urgency/frequency cut in half. But I immediately started gaining weight. A lot of weight, and fast. And I am diabetic and any weight gain is very bad for me. So I've had to choose to not take it and live with the pain and constant peeing because I cannot afford to gain any weight due the diabetes. I'm basically distraught. Diabetes will kill me, but the Interstitial Cystitis pain is causing major depression. I am at a loss as nothing else has worked."

SweetMimi November 4, 2014

"I could barely function after 2pm until I went on this medicine. I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in August-it was devastating. My quality of life was horrible--pain through the roof and urgency. I could barely get my kids to school every day. After 1 day of 25 mg Amytriptiline at bedtime, my pain virtually disappeared. It saved my life."

Schmea (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2014

"Amitriptyline is very effective in my Interstitial Cystitis treatment. I took half of 25mg at dinner time. Both frequency and urgency went away."

Jordan, San Jose (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2014

"I think this medication really helped with the Interstitial Cystitis but unfortunately it gave me terrible headaches. Every morning - after about a week of taking 10 mg's of this - I'd wake up with a terrible migraine. It would last all day! At first I wasn't sure if it was the medication but now I'm positive. I stopped taking it (after 3 weeks of use) and my headaches all but disappeared. In my opinion, the headaches were just as bad as the Interstitial Cystitis! I don't know if anyone else here has had that experience but it certainly happened to me. Good luck everyone."

Mollie1983 (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2014

"Started using for Fibromyalgia first. When diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis my doctor upped my dosage to 50mg each night. Not really sure which Interstitial Cystitis or medication for other conditions are helping or hurting. I haven't found the magic pill that really helps with any of my conditions as I'm in a constant flare with several at a time on a daily basis. This does help you sleep. I've been on it for yrs and haven't gained any weight (probably due to other medicines that take away my appetite). All in all, if you have never tried this for Interstitial Cystitis pain; try it. Everybody is different & this medicine just might be the right one for you."

JennHiggs (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2014

"I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis about 2 years ago. I tried bladder instillations, read books about natural healing and pretty much refused any medication. After a year and a half of suffering and trying gluten free, dairy free, egg free, yeast free for over 8 weeks I finally gave up the natural route and agreed to 25 mg of amitriptyline once a day. Bottom line--it works. It really does. I still have the frequency but the pain is almost completely gone. There have been some days when I feel the pain but I take an extra dose and it helps so much. I do have to say though, it makes me tired, I've gained about 30 pounds and waking up in the morning is harder than ever. Still, it's worth it."

IC Patient January 12, 2014

"I've had Interstitial Cystitis for a little over 6 years. In the beginning, I tried all sorts of things - hydraulic distention of the bladder, Elmiron, all different kinds of prescriptions - nothing helped. Eventually I read about Elavil online and asked my doctor about it. He put me on it 4 years ago and I've been on it ever since. It is the ONLY medicine that has helped. I take 20mg a night. I also take Desert Harvest Aloe pills - 2 every morning - more when I flare up. I have occasional flares (like right now I am in one)), but for the most part, my Interstitial Cystitis has been under control for the past 2.5 years. Side effects - In the beginning, it made me very tired. Also caused me to gain about 30-35 lbs, but I'll take it over IC pain."

Anonymous928 September 12, 2013

"I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis about 10 years ago. At that time I was prescribed this at 25mg a day. I was going to the potty about 20 times a night. I took the meds for about 2 weeks but could not handle the side effects of confusion and listlessness. I quit taking it for a long time and suffered with the frequent urination. I was at my wits end (no sleep!) and found the old pill bottle of amitriptyline in my drawer. I am no longer working so I decided that I would give it another try since I didn't have a schedule to keep. Even though I'm a little groggy in the mornings I am sleeping at least 6 hours straight without having to go to the bathroom. I have gone from waking up approx. 20 times a night down to 2 times. It is a miracle."

PJAX (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2013