User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Interstitial Cystitis.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Interstitial Cystitis

Elavil (amitriptyline): "39 years old, The 1st few days, no change, Urologist put me on 25 mg, twice a day, it made me so drowsy & thirsty, only took 1 pill at night, on the 14th day is when I had no more pressure or frequency on my bladder, I was back to normal, so I made the mistake of drinking coffee, huge mistake! Took medication the next day, this time morning & night, symptoms disappeared, I suggest taking Prelief before drinking coffee or any acidic food, be patient with this medicine, takes a little while to work but IT WORKS!"

Chica777 (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Amazing !! I was in agony for a 1 - 2 years with intersistal cystitis ,saw various doctors,I was at the end of my tether with the pain , finally the doctor prescribed these tablets , stopped the pain straight away , I couldn't live without them ! Only side effects is dry mouth and make me tired ."

Saza (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis, had severe baldder pain and pressure for a couple of months. I used OTC meds and even low dose hydromorphone, but it did not help. My doctor prescribed amitriptyline 25mg, however told me to cut it in half and initially use 12.5mg to see if it helps, if not, increase to 25. I took the half pill in the evening, and in the morning I woke up with no bladder pain, first time in months. During the day I still had some bladder pressure, but no pain. After 2 weeks on the amitriptyline my pain and pressure are all gone. Have not noticed any side effects, perhaps An occasional constipation, so I started taking fiber."

LisaPon February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with IC shortly after the birth of my second son, in 1998. Tried Elmiron and it did nothing to help with the pain or urgency. I spent about 8 months thinking I had frequent UTI's, before diagnosing this correctly. Once I went on the elavil, and changed my diet, my symptoms improved dramatically and quickly. It worked very well. After about 10 years, I decided to wean myself off of it and see if I could live without the medication and just watch my diet. I was good for about a month. The awful pain and urgency came back with a vengence. I was in tears. As soon as I went back on the elavil, within 1 day I was feeling almost completely normal again. I am resigned to being on 25 mg daily of elavil for life."

Susie12345 January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this medication for interstitial cystitis and before I had suffered severe bladder and abdominal pain for almost 2 yrs before I discovered I had IC. I would have the most terrible bladder pain and not be able to walk or get out of bed or I would have severe bladder spasms and would wake up in the middle of the night and go sit in a hot bath to relieve the pain. The hot baths were the only thing that made the spasms not so so bad. One weekend I had a terrible flare up and the baths didn't work nothing did my doctor put me on 10 mg of amitriptyline and it has really been a huge life saver. I can't say I don't have flare ups now and then but the pain is now where near what it was."

Kelbell191 January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had IC since 2013. I have been having negative urine tests thinking I had ITU. Went to a urologist and told me about IC. He really did nothing for me. I found a very experienced urologist that deals only with IC. Because I have Hunner's ulcers I have kenalog injections when an ulcer is present other wise I am on 10mlg of elavil nightly. Works very well for sleeping and less trips to the bathroom at night. Because of the weight gain I do belong to a weight loss group to help me stay away from gaining weight."

Linda125 December 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just wanted to add more now that been taking longer. Positives - it's still working and at the low dose of 10mg. - Weirdly, I have lost weight although this seems like fluid and bloat loss but has amounted to half a stone. Issues - beginning to think I'm indestructible and after having tea and wine, I had a flare. However, the flare only lasted a day and I wasn't crying in pain. - changing brand from Actavis to Accord. Still working for IC but weirdly more unpleasant side effects, drowsiness, dry mouth and zombified feeling in morning. The difference was pretty immediate so I'm sure it's that. Perhaps other users should take note of brands. I will return to Actavis as this had no side effects whatsoever."

NickiJA (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only been on it a week, but a miracle so far! I've suffered from IC for years had all the tests etc, a urologist recommended this to me 5 yrs. ago... I refused on the basis that it was an anti depressant, modified my diet and went into remission with only the odd flare. 6 months ago, I had another baby and a second C Section, this resulted in a 5 month long 'twinge period' with 4 excruciating flare ups. I was in the midst of a agonising flare up when I gave in and took 10mg of Amitriptyline! Next day still had twinges but no pain. The 2nd no twinges, no pain, just some urgency. 3rd feeling totally normal!! It's brilliant!! Still feeling normal after a whole week!! No side effects as yet, but not helping me sleep like I thought it would!"

NickiJA (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Unfortunately this medication had a very negative effect on me. I was supposed to take it for occasional nerve zaps that I get from having IC. When I took it, it didn't take the pain away. Instead it changed it into a CONSTANT burning pain which is way worse than the previous zaps. I stopped taking it, and although I was on a low dose 25mg a night, I got horrible withdrawal symptoms and am still dealing with panic attacks upon waking up. I know this drug has been a godsend for some people, but please be careful because it has the potential to make things way worse."

Adre6918 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had interstitial cystitis for 2 months. Had it 10 yrs ago but it came back. Tried an herb marshmallow root helped a little. I kept reading that anti inflammatories help so I took naproxen for 4 days the pain stopped. Took it for a total of a week I have been pain free for a week now I know why so many websites suggested it"

A H May 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with IC after so many real UTIs and some that were not. I felt like I always had a UTI. In November of 2011, I was diagnosed. It was so severe I had the cystoscopy immediately. I started installations and took various medications. Getting on amitriptyline was great until 6 months later I was in day treatment not understanding why my mania and depression were off the chart. The doctors could not stabilize me and I was hospitalized twice for suicidal thoughts and psychosis. Just beware if you have mental illness, this medication may counteract bipolar and other mental health meds!!"

Tx mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"14 yrs of chronic agony!!!! Amitriptyline, Strong Opiates & Diazepam work. "

Rebbie Rebel November 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with IC when I was only 15 years old. The doctors were not sure what they should do because I was so young. My doctor decided to put me on amitriptline and immediately I saw improvements. I am now going to be 21 and still taking 50 mg of it every night before bed. This medication is the only one of my many medications (other health problems) that I will never stop taking. I would recommend this medication to anyone struggling with IC pain .definatly talk to your doctor about it!"

Keri13 October 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For my IC/PBS, I get bladder infections every two weeks, try as hard as I can to watch my diet (though it's difficult not to cheat), get pelvic floor physical therapy, take Uribel and Klonapin as needed, and take 25 mg of amitriptyline each night. When I first started taking it, after about a couple of weeks, I felt completely normal for the first time in months. No symptoms at all for about 4 weeks. Now I have some creeping back. I'm going to try upping my dose to 50 mg each night and see how I tolerate it. It does make you dopey in the morning at first, but that goes away eventually."

PSRoman (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The side effects were limiting especially tiredness and not sufficient pain relief."

Susi0103 August 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started at 10 mg on this, but quickly went to 25 mg, as the pain was too much. Now I´ve levelled it to 20 mg per day, in the evening, and it has been wonderful, This, along with a careful diet, have helped and almost put in remission my IC symptoms. Side effects for me include grogginess, but that´s wearing away the more I take it and, for sure, a huge spike in my apetite, which I´ve had to be careful about as I don´t want to gain weight on it. It´s not a miracle drug, but it worked for me, and I think anyone suffering from this condition should give it a try."

anagum June 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started on 10mg of amitriptyline for my Interstitial Cystitis related nerve pain. Went up to 20mg after a month and it has been a miracle at reducing my pain for the last six months that I have been on it. I haven't experienced any weight gain while on it. I felt groggy at first but that went away after a few weeks."

Saiiri (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis several months ago. The pain was so debilitating that I couldn't even see patients for about 3 days (I'm a dentist). The pain brought me to tears. I was afraid that I would have to go on disibility. My new urologist put me on amytripyline a few weeks ago. It worked almost immediately. Most days I'm almost pain-free. I got my life back."

Lara M. March 20, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication helps with flare ups and helps me sleep through the night. "

Tawanda619. (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This really has changed my life! I suffered a whole year thinking my urethral stricture was the cause, after that was sorted I still carried on with what felt like constant cystitis. My urologist finally diagnosed Interstitial Cystitis and started me on 20mg of amitriptyline. After 10-14days it worked! Have the very odd day of mild discomfort but it's changed my life. I haven't noticed side effects as yet, on my 9th week on them."

Hhf (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I didn't think this medication was working at all, but when I went off of it, I was in more pain than I'd ever experienced before. When I'd been back on it for about ten days, my pain was not gone, but it was certainly more tolerable."

nantsyb3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in March of this year. The first few weeks were some of the worst of my life. I changed my diet, was put on Elmiron, Zyrtec and Vesicare with zero relief in any symptoms. Was at the end of my rope when my PCP suggested Elavil. In 3 days my symptoms were nearly gone. Pain was gone. Urgency/frequency cut in half. But I immediately started gaining weight. A lot of weight, and fast. And I am diabetic and any weight gain is very bad for me. So I've had to choose to not take it and live with the pain and constant peeing because I cannot afford to gain any weight due the diabetes. I'm basically distraught. Diabetes will kill me, but the Interstitial Cystitis pain is causing major depression. I am at a loss as nothing else has worked."

SweetMimi November 4, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I could barely function after 2pm until I went on this medicine. I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis in August-it was devastating. My quality of life was horrible--pain through the roof and urgency. I could barely get my kids to school every day. After 1 day of 25 mg Amytriptiline at bedtime, my pain virtually disappeared. It saved my life."

Schmea (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Amitriptyline is very effective in my Interstitial Cystitis treatment. I took half of 25mg at dinner time. Both frequency and urgency went away."

Jordan, San Jose (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I think this medication really helped with the Interstitial Cystitis but unfortunately it gave me terrible headaches. Every morning - after about a week of taking 10 mg's of this - I'd wake up with a terrible migraine. It would last all day! At first I wasn't sure if it was the medication but now I'm positive. I stopped taking it (after 3 weeks of use) and my headaches all but disappeared. In my opinion, the headaches were just as bad as the Interstitial Cystitis! I don't know if anyone else here has had that experience but it certainly happened to me. Good luck everyone."

Mollie1983 (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2014