User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Interstitial Cystitis.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Interstitial Cystitis

"This medication is a great. I spent a year thinking I was getting chronic UTI’s, until finally seeing a urologist and being diagnosed with IC. He put me on 25mg of amitriptylline. It’s been 14 months and I have not had any IC symptoms since beginning the medication. Only side effects are slight weight gain, and dry mouth. Both of which are tolerable compared to the misery of IC. This med is a lifesaver."

Courtnry (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2018

"I had Interstitial cystitis 28 years ago and refused to see a doctor about it for a long time. Finally, and in agony, I saw a urologist and he immediately put me on Amitriptyline. It worked! Eventually I was able to stop taking it and reintroduce high acid foods like citrus and coffee. I thought that was the end of it, but it returned this year. I went to a urologist immediately, told him about my past and he put me on 25mg of Amitriptyline. It eradicated my symptoms in ONE night. Yes, it does make getting up in the mornings really hard -- but I read other comments today and people said that taking it at 5pm helped. Yes, dry mouth is an issue, but I always have a bottle of water nearby. I hope to eventually just take 12.5mg daily, but don't think I ever want to stop taking this medicine."

Jacie March 24, 2018

"Lost my job on it ,could not wake up and go to work. Don't know about it helping IC, stopped taking after I lost my job"

Amitriptyline sux February 5, 2018

"I was diagnosed with IC after suffering with bladder pain and burning sensation frequent need to urinate sore kidneys for 5 years and pain like I had a urine infection suffered panic attacks due to the pain I was given this medication and it’s saved my life I have my life back now. First night I took it I was pain free the next morning I felt groggy I couldn’t open my eyes they felt heavy and I felt disoriented but it wore off after a few hours but I was ok the following morning . I have forgotten to take this medication and I have pain and burning and feeling like I have a UTI."

Vonny 47 January 6, 2018

"I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis when I was 21. My urologist prescribed 200mg of this drug to treat. I never struggled with my weight, I was 5’ 7” and 120 pounds. After three months of this medications I had gained 50 pounds. My doctor began to wean me off- I had major withdrawals and it took 2 years. This drug changed the composition of my body and 10 years later I am still struggling with my weight."

Kade24009 December 31, 2017

"I wish this medication helped my IC symptoms. Not only did I not notice any relief with pain or a reduction in how often I need to urinate but the side effects were too much for me to bare. It causes such severe dry mouth that I would wake during the night needing to drink. During the day I would always need something to drink but could never get any relief. I even tried gums, toothpastes and mouth washes designed for dry mouth but they did not help and were too expensive. Another horrible side effect was that the pills would make me too tired to concentrate on my work as a graphic designer. I felt like napping all of the time and always woke up feeling exhausted. I tried various doses and even tried 1/4 of a 25mg but no luck."

IC70 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2017

Elavil (amitriptyline): "39 years old, The 1st few days, no change, Urologist put me on 25 mg, twice a day, it made me so drowsy & thirsty, only took 1 pill at night, on the 14th day is when I had no more pressure or frequency on my bladder, I was back to normal, so I made the mistake of drinking coffee, huge mistake! Took medication the next day, this time morning & night, symptoms disappeared, I suggest taking Prelief before drinking coffee or any acidic food, be patient with this medicine, takes a little while to work but IT WORKS!"

Chica777 (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2017

"Amazing !! I was in agony for a 1 - 2 years with intersistal cystitis ,saw various doctors,I was at the end of my tether with the pain , finally the doctor prescribed these tablets , stopped the pain straight away , I couldn't live without them ! Only side effects is dry mouth and make me tired ."

Saza (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2017

"I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis, had severe baldder pain and pressure for a couple of months. I used OTC meds and even low dose hydromorphone, but it did not help. My doctor prescribed amitriptyline 25mg, however told me to cut it in half and initially use 12.5mg to see if it helps, if not, increase to 25. I took the half pill in the evening, and in the morning I woke up with no bladder pain, first time in months. During the day I still had some bladder pressure, but no pain. After 2 weeks on the amitriptyline my pain and pressure are all gone. Have not noticed any side effects, perhaps An occasional constipation, so I started taking fiber."

LisaPon February 26, 2017

"I was diagnosed with IC shortly after the birth of my second son, in 1998. Tried Elmiron and it did nothing to help with the pain or urgency. I spent about 8 months thinking I had frequent UTI's, before diagnosing this correctly. Once I went on the elavil, and changed my diet, my symptoms improved dramatically and quickly. It worked very well. After about 10 years, I decided to wean myself off of it and see if I could live without the medication and just watch my diet. I was good for about a month. The awful pain and urgency came back with a vengence. I was in tears. As soon as I went back on the elavil, within 1 day I was feeling almost completely normal again. I am resigned to being on 25 mg daily of elavil for life."

Susie12345 January 23, 2017

"I was put on this medication for interstitial cystitis and before I had suffered severe bladder and abdominal pain for almost 2 yrs before I discovered I had IC. I would have the most terrible bladder pain and not be able to walk or get out of bed or I would have severe bladder spasms and would wake up in the middle of the night and go sit in a hot bath to relieve the pain. The hot baths were the only thing that made the spasms not so so bad. One weekend I had a terrible flare up and the baths didn't work nothing did my doctor put me on 10 mg of amitriptyline and it has really been a huge life saver. I can't say I don't have flare ups now and then but the pain is now where near what it was."

Kelbell191 January 12, 2017

"I have had IC since 2013. I have been having negative urine tests thinking I had ITU. Went to a urologist and told me about IC. He really did nothing for me. I found a very experienced urologist that deals only with IC. Because I have Hunner's ulcers I have kenalog injections when an ulcer is present other wise I am on 10mlg of elavil nightly. Works very well for sleeping and less trips to the bathroom at night. Because of the weight gain I do belong to a weight loss group to help me stay away from gaining weight."

Linda125 December 22, 2016

"Just wanted to add more now that been taking longer. Positives - it's still working and at the low dose of 10mg. - Weirdly, I have lost weight although this seems like fluid and bloat loss but has amounted to half a stone. Issues - beginning to think I'm indestructible and after having tea and wine, I had a flare. However, the flare only lasted a day and I wasn't crying in pain. - changing brand from Actavis to Accord. Still working for IC but weirdly more unpleasant side effects, drowsiness, dry mouth and zombified feeling in morning. The difference was pretty immediate so I'm sure it's that. Perhaps other users should take note of brands. I will return to Actavis as this had no side effects whatsoever."

NickiJA (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

"Only been on it a week, but a miracle so far! I've suffered from IC for years had all the tests etc, a urologist recommended this to me 5 yrs. ago... I refused on the basis that it was an anti depressant, modified my diet and went into remission with only the odd flare. 6 months ago, I had another baby and a second C Section, this resulted in a 5 month long 'twinge period' with 4 excruciating flare ups. I was in the midst of a agonising flare up when I gave in and took 10mg of Amitriptyline! Next day still had twinges but no pain. The 2nd no twinges, no pain, just some urgency. 3rd feeling totally normal!! It's brilliant!! Still feeling normal after a whole week!! No side effects as yet, but not helping me sleep like I thought it would!"

NickiJA (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Unfortunately this medication had a very negative effect on me. I was supposed to take it for occasional nerve zaps that I get from having IC. When I took it, it didn't take the pain away. Instead it changed it into a CONSTANT burning pain which is way worse than the previous zaps. I stopped taking it, and although I was on a low dose 25mg a night, I got horrible withdrawal symptoms and am still dealing with panic attacks upon waking up. I know this drug has been a godsend for some people, but please be careful because it has the potential to make things way worse."

Adre6918 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

"I have had interstitial cystitis for 2 months. Had it 10 yrs ago but it came back. Tried an herb marshmallow root helped a little. I kept reading that anti inflammatories help so I took naproxen for 4 days the pain stopped. Took it for a total of a week I have been pain free for a week now I know why so many websites suggested it"

A H May 16, 2016

"I was diagnosed with IC after so many real UTIs and some that were not. I felt like I always had a UTI. In November of 2011, I was diagnosed. It was so severe I had the cystoscopy immediately. I started installations and took various medications. Getting on amitriptyline was great until 6 months later I was in day treatment not understanding why my mania and depression were off the chart. The doctors could not stabilize me and I was hospitalized twice for suicidal thoughts and psychosis. Just beware if you have mental illness, this medication may counteract bipolar and other mental health meds!!"

Tx mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

"14 yrs of chronic agony!!!! Amitriptyline, Strong Opiates & Diazepam work. "

Rebbie Rebel November 14, 2015

"I was diagnosed with IC when I was only 15 years old. The doctors were not sure what they should do because I was so young. My doctor decided to put me on amitriptline and immediately I saw improvements. I am now going to be 21 and still taking 50 mg of it every night before bed. This medication is the only one of my many medications (other health problems) that I will never stop taking. I would recommend this medication to anyone struggling with IC pain .definatly talk to your doctor about it!"

Keri13 October 24, 2015

"For my IC/PBS, I get bladder infections every two weeks, try as hard as I can to watch my diet (though it's difficult not to cheat), get pelvic floor physical therapy, take Uribel and Klonapin as needed, and take 25 mg of amitriptyline each night. When I first started taking it, after about a couple of weeks, I felt completely normal for the first time in months. No symptoms at all for about 4 weeks. Now I have some creeping back. I'm going to try upping my dose to 50 mg each night and see how I tolerate it. It does make you dopey in the morning at first, but that goes away eventually."

PSRoman (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2015

"The side effects were limiting especially tiredness and not sufficient pain relief."

Susi0103 August 17, 2015

"I started at 10 mg on this, but quickly went to 25 mg, as the pain was too much. Now I´ve levelled it to 20 mg per day, in the evening, and it has been wonderful, This, along with a careful diet, have helped and almost put in remission my IC symptoms. Side effects for me include grogginess, but that´s wearing away the more I take it and, for sure, a huge spike in my apetite, which I´ve had to be careful about as I don´t want to gain weight on it. It´s not a miracle drug, but it worked for me, and I think anyone suffering from this condition should give it a try."

anagum June 18, 2015

"Started on 10mg of amitriptyline for my Interstitial Cystitis related nerve pain. Went up to 20mg after a month and it has been a miracle at reducing my pain for the last six months that I have been on it. I haven't experienced any weight gain while on it. I felt groggy at first but that went away after a few weeks."

Saiiri (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2015

"I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis several months ago. The pain was so debilitating that I couldn't even see patients for about 3 days (I'm a dentist). The pain brought me to tears. I was afraid that I would have to go on disibility. My new urologist put me on amytripyline a few weeks ago. It worked almost immediately. Most days I'm almost pain-free. I got my life back."

Lara M. March 20, 2015

"This medication helps with flare ups and helps me sleep through the night. "

Tawanda619. (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2015