User Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Fibromyalgia

Amitriptyline has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 96 ratings for the treatment of Fibromyalgia. 46% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Amitriptyline

DLyons85 May 16, 2021

“I’ve been in pain which first started in Sep2020 was very fit active before that had suffered from depression in the year before but got out of that! Then I went to an osteopath in Oct got told that I may have fibromyalgia and hyper mobile syndrome and was told I was in a flare up! Was taking paracetamol, ibruphen, Naproxin so on whilst waiting for a rheumatology appointment but wasn’t until April 21. I've been in so much pain mainly in shoulder blades right shoulder feels like comes out socket have no appetite and now problems with liver Had the appointment got told I have fibromyalgia, like I expected ,and been on 30mg amitript taking at 8.30pm every night but haven’t noticed any difference - if anything I feel worse. I have pains in ears, throat at the same time I’ve been taking the co drydamol everyday and ibuprofen and just feel worse and worse. I just want it to go away and now I’m on antibiotics because of this causing sinuses ear infection which just want it to go! 5 weeks on it, shall I stop taking other PKs to let this work?”

Fibrobeen. · Taken for 10 years or more April 11, 2021

“I have used Endep for many years now for sleep and fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia has many strange symptoms. At one stage I found that taking my Endep gave me very painful and unpleasant restless legs. I managed this for a while by taking pain relief before taking amitriptyline. Luckily this symptom/side effect passed after a few months. Fibromyalgia symptoms are constantly changing. Sometimes within hours or sometimes years. I had painful sinus headaches for over 4 years every morning. The amitriptyline does have anticholinergic side effects like slowing the digestive system and causing a dry mouth. Which has been a significant problem. But this has just as much caused by fibromyalgia and the side effects can be managed. The amitriptyline has a slow effect on pain. If I stop it for a week my pain levels will slowly increase. And I get some twitches when I do not take it but is not a problem.”

JJ · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2021

Endep (amitriptyline): “Two days after taking Endep 10mg, 50% of my pain was gone. Lasted three days then the pain came back. Up the dose to 20mg and pain reduced again but legs feel twitchy and restless in the day. A weird feeling, usually happens at night. Will keep trying and see if it goes alway. Next step up to 30mg. So far it’s better than being in constant fibromyalgia pain 24/7. It did take 4-5 days to get use to sleep side effect. Within an hour of taking go straight to bed and try and sleep. Able to sleep with only waking once. Does make you tired in the morning but again it’s better than the pain. Worth a try. Good luck”

SG · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 11, 2020

“After suffering for years and pain of not knowing that I had fibromyalgia I was finally found a Doctor who sent me to a rheumatologist who diagnosed me in one visit with fibromyalgia. The doctor said I probably had it for a long time I was already taking amitriptyline for depression and for irritable bowel syndrome when the doctor told me that that would be a great medicine for me to try using for fibromyalgia but I had only been taking when I couldn’t sleep. I started taking it every night and my pain level has at least been cut in half, but taking the amitriptyline every night if you skip it it’s not effective you have to take it every night to be effective for fibromyalgia. I have never had any side effects or bad reactions to amitriptyline and I have been taking it for five years”

Yikes! September 30, 2013

Elavil (amitriptyline): “I have only been taking Elavil for two weeks but I've been in pain for twenty years, I also have big problems sleeping and staying asleep. Since I started Elavil I have less pain plus I sleep well. I actually had a no pain day which I have not had in a long time.”

Shelle518 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2014

Elavil (amitriptyline): “While it doesn't take away all the pain it has helped with the tiredness and the feeling that I was wearing a lead suit. I still have bad days but so far I am pleased with this medication. It has helped me more than any other medication that I have tried.”

Anonymous July 16, 2016

“I believe fibromyalgia symptoms started when I was around 14, it wasn't diagnosed until I was 41. I had been to many doctors complaining of lethargy and body pain/aches, and I never had any answers, one doctor said "do you think this might be all in your head."My life changed at 41 when I started on amitriptyline, I finally went into a deep sleep, felt more refreshed, and it substantially reduced the pain. I am currently 55, original dose lost its efficacy overtime. I am now on 125 mg, but I am very active and run and bicycle weekly. Don't get scared if you feel even more tired in the first 2 to 3 weeks of taking the medication, that will dissipate and you will feel refreshed all day.”

Anonymous May 9, 2012

Endep (amitriptyline): “I had unrefreshing sleep, and needed a lot of it. Endep is awesome as can now get a good night sleep, feel refreshed for a few hours after waking, and decreases my body aches. No negative side effects for me luckily.”

AlyssaLS · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 14, 2013

“My 10 rating is for the medicine's effectiveness for insomnia, not pain. I used to take lots of medications, including amitriptyline. I gained 20 pounds. To lose weight, I started adhering to a plant-based diet and exercising. After 4 months of diet and exercise, my pain was almost gone, so I dropped all of my medications. After that, I lost 15 pounds. A few months later, my insomnia came back. Because I wasn't sleeping, my pain increased again. So, I started back on amitriptyline. I take 30mg 4-5hrs before bed. It takes a few weeks to kick-in as a sleep aid and it might cause night-sweats for about a month. After a month, I started sleeping like a rock and I have no side-effects or weight gain. My previous weight-gain was due to Gabapentin.”

Lucy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 18, 2019

“I've taken amitriptyline for approx 5 months now. I have an inflammatory autoimmune disorder, and suspected Fibromyalgia as a secondary issue. I've been dealing with both conditions for approximately 4 years. Life has changed significantly for the better since the introduction of amitriptyline, I take 25mgs at bedtime. I experience significant drowsiness in the morning and I initially had a very dry mouth. The dry mouth subsided but the morning "hangover" feeling continues. I can live with it!! I have almost no pain, I can eat again ( previously had severe IBS), I sleep now (the quality is still questionable some night), it reduced my mild anxiety, and rid myself of my headaches. I pray it works forever!!!”

LBro March 15, 2017

“I've been taking amitriptyline since January 2013 after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I tried cymbalta for a week and my Dr decided that since it kept me awake 24/7 that it wasn't a good fit for me even though it relieved my pain. I started with 25 mg. After 2 weeks I had some breakthrough pain, so my Dr increased my dosage to 50mg and I'm still on that dosage today. For the first full year I was on this I never had pain and felt 'cured'. As time went on, it seems to help control my pain. I do still have pain, but at a low manageable level. I take this around 7pm each evening to avoid feeling overly drowsy in the mornings. This med allows me to have a fairly normal life.”

Flavorfey · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 9, 2018

“I’ve had fibromyalgia pain since I was a teen. Finally after years of complaining my doctor reffered me to rheumatologist and after about 5 visits I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I’m 46 years old now and have suffered all these years and when I was prescribed amitripyline my life changed for the better. After 2 nights of taking it I was sleeping better and the pain and leg cramps were gone. I’m finally living a normal pain free life”

Ntmitch October 4, 2016

“I've been taking this drug for 15 years. It saved me. Within 3 days of starting it my fog lifted (to me, the fog was like looking at life through a movie camera). The deep tissue pain went away. It has never had any affect on my sleep patterns. For the first 10 years I was able to keep it to one 10 mg pill per day. The last five, I've had to double it to 20mg (headaches). Way back, about 3 years into this I was having trouble sleeping - quite a few nights I couldn't sleep at all, so I thought if I could take 1/2 a lorazepam it would help. Not wanting to combine the medications, I didn't take the amitriptyline for 3 nights. On the following day I was on the floor in agony. I've NEVER missed another dose.”

AD2203 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2020

“Elavil has been a game changer for me. I suffer from Major Depression, Anxiety, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Migraines and I have a rare recurring form of Viral Meningitis. I have been on multiple medications to tackle both nerve pain and depression/anxiety: Lexapro, Effexor, Cymbalta, Savella, Gabapentin, Zoloft. Sleep was difficult for me. I was up usually in pain from these ailments. When I stared taking Elavil, I'm able to feel like a normal person. I'm not overly stressed, I'm more "chill" at work and I don't feel as angry. Now for the nerve pain and migraines, there has been a slight reduction in the pain I feel but I'm still in pain.”

Rhondiga · Taken for 10 years or more December 3, 2014

Endep (amitriptyline): “I have been on Endep for 35 years. I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and plenty more. In the last six months I have been getting very odd symptoms such as the ones provided within this article!( sudden weight gain, inability to eat properly, tiredness, rounded face,weakness, sore mouth and tongue, to slight more depression, At the moment I am on a doctor treadmill ...everyone from my endocrinologist to a neurologist, GP and many more have put their hands up saying I don't know!! The medicines work really well for fibromyalgia but after some time they can work against you! Please look at the list of side effects. I have a lot of them. Good luck!”

riggusso September 30, 2016

“I was ready to check myself into a hospital for lack of sleep and pain; mainly from the lack of deep sleep. I was 30 and hadn't slept well in 16 years. My doctor started me on a low dose of amitriptyline and it literally changed my life. I will not go without it. Anytime I have been out of town and left it behind for whatever reason, I am reminded of life before amitryptyline and how awful it was to live that way. I often wonder what exactly it is correcting in my brain or wherever.”

Anonymous October 19, 2010

Elavil (amitriptyline): “I have had great success with this medicine. It is meant to help you achieve sleep levels 3 and 4. It is meant to make you drowsy. Take it at night a couple of hours before you want to fall asleep. Poor sleep is a big problem with fibromyalgia. I have had fibro for 20 years. I still work full time, retail 56 hours a week. Yea it's tough some days. You have to keep moving.”

ewhynot October 15, 2011

Elavil (amitriptyline): “Elavil has been a life-saver for me. I have fibromyalgia and SAD. My ability to sleep through the night with Elavil has been amazing. Previously I would wake up too early and not be able to sleep until it was time to get up. I was a wreck and thought I'd have to give up my job because I couldn't function on 4-5 hours of sleep. I find that I need 15 mg in winter months and only 10 with longer daylight days. ”

trindamcd December 14, 2016

“I was very recently prescribed amitriptyline at 10 mg for fibromyalgia. , which was also just recently diagnosed after complaints since the age of at least 18 ( now 38). It doesn't help me sleep, even with my low dose of Xanax that was prescribed a year ago, for sleep. Combining the two has given me a more restless sleep, BUT...... It has helped with my pain tremendously!!! Within days, I noticed I could work longer hours ( self employed, thank god), and when I do get sore, it's not as extreme as pre- amitriptyline. I've lost weight in these two weeks, as before I only ate once a day, and I think my body was holding on to any fat it could, now I graze throughout the day and think my metabolism has been kick started again.”

Minniehaha2 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 7, 2014

“Had fibromyalgia due to chronic sleep deprivation which caused severe swelling in my hands giving me carpel tunnel pain every night also had swollen knees and severe stiffness. After months of trying alternative therapies with no improvement I finally gave in and started taking 20mg amitriptyline. Within 3 days this medicine changed my life and I felt like a different person. Went up to 50mg but now back to 25mg and only about 75% of the time. If your health problems are caused by lack of phase four sleep, give this medicine a try.”

GloomyEeyore April 24, 2014

“I was prescribed this medication to help with the pain of fibromyalgia at night. I was started on 10mg and gradually upped to 30mg. I find I am sleeping better as the pain is not waking me during the night. I have had no side effects and a bonus is it has also helped ease my severe anxiety disorder a little. Thinking about asking if my dose can be upped to help with the anxiety.”

hoggywood August 23, 2015

“Doctors could not figure out why I had pain and sleepless nights. I finally told the docs lets pretend its fibromyalgia and treat it. Doctor prescribed amitriptyline and I am 90% better. I still have occasional difficult nights but my life is much better.”

Ally800 May 8, 2016

“I have fibromyalgia and suffered with anxiety and migraines also menopause is setting in. More recently I had an mri and they also found a syrinx ( cyst like in my spinal cord) in the neck area. I have taken anti depessants before and have reacted badly too them. Amitryptiline 10mg at night was offered to me to help with sleep and pain. It's great, I sleep through no more toilet trips or lying awake all night. I have an interest in life again I had become quite house bound but I'm up and about even walked round town which I haven't done in years. It's only a small dose and it's worked brilliantly.”

SJ7 April 17, 2016

“I've been taking this for 27 years, 50 mg a night and except for a few flare-ups, I've been virtually pain free. I find that it really depends what manufacturer the druggest purchases it from. Strange but true. I highly recommend this medicine.”

JenofJax · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): “I was prescribed Elavil by my Rheumatologist and have been on it for 10 days. He prescribed a dose of 25mg but I am super sensitive to Meds and have only been taking 12.5mg. Let me just start by saying I have been on everything from Zoloft to Lyrica for depression and Fibro. I have had negative experiences with most of them. I was skeptical to even try Elavil after reading some user reviews but decided to give it a try. So far I have noticed that I have more energy and don't feel like I am in a fog.Other side effects I've noticed:1. Dry mouth 2. Weird dreams 3. Tired in am but more energy later on.4. Upper back pain in the A.M. This concerns me. 5.More social 6.No pain relief for Fibro. If anything I am more aware of it.Jury still out :/”

Jims May 29, 2019

Elavil (amitriptyline): “Taking Elavil pills at bed time around 10 to 11pm. First pill made me sleep for two days. 2nd pill less tired but slept all day. 3rd pill slept all day. 4th to 7th pill less tired but no relief of pain, actually an increase of pain in lower back and tightness in shoulders and neck. Not sure If I'll take anymore! Other meds being used: Tizanidine, Armodafinil, Basaglar - long acting insulin (other diabetic meds make me sick) -lower back pain -muscle tightness -sweating - increased hot flashes -(I wish) fruit-like breath odor -increased hunger -loss of consciousness - lack of concentration, find myself just drifting off watching shows. I usually have a busy mind, even with brain fog, I usually have a show on while doing 2-3 other things. I have a high IQ and like to use it, but with this med it dumbs me down significantly.”

Anonymous November 2, 2010

Elavil (amitriptyline): “I started taking Elavil at the onset of my Fibromyalgia in 1997, had great sleep and was able to continue my work and study without pain. In early 2010 I read the side effects of the medicine and recognized what was happening to me. I had been falling for no reason, broke an ankle, lumbar vertebrate, thumb and many bruises. I had dry mouth so bad could hardly talk, could not remember my words I wanted to say, and lost all sex drive. I slowly removed myself off of the Elavil with the help of my doctor. I have had lots of pain since February 2010 and cannot find a medicine to help me with my sleep and pain, but I will not use Elavil again. I have not fallen, lost my memory or had any other side effects of this medicine since.”

Wot · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2016

“I went from having horrific painsomnia and feeling like a zombie 24/7 and being really agitated by noise and light to having a regular sleep pattern which for sure helped me deal with pain and stress. I'm only up to 30mg a day and I've found coupled with pool therapy this treatment has been invaluable. Only annoying thing is that I get really bad dry mouth (but means I'm drinking more water) and I've totally lost my sex drive.”

Learn more about Fibromyalgia