User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Depression

"I have taken amitriptyline in 2012 for 6 months and now again in 2018. For depression it really is the best medication for myself. I had moderate success with Effexor and fluoxetine but the side effects like night sweats where a pain and I always felt a bit numb emotionally. Amitriptyline makes me feel Human again and apart from a dry mouth and morning grogginess it doesn’t have any side effects. I think it’s a shame that doctors are reluctant to prescribe this medication for depression as it really is very effective."

Jordandlee85 May 30, 2018

"Experience is the best teacher, my journey with amitriptyline started last year. I was sick for a very long time with no single day of relieve, antibiotics and antimalarials with no result.From the area I come from people will term this unresolved issue spiritual.I went from church to churches still no result until I went for a proper medical check up when all test results came out negative. I was prescbed amitriptyline December 2016 and this drug happened to be a life saver. I increased the dose from 25mg till as high as 125mg, at this point I felt very good with myself, my life was blissful. After sometime my doc started to help me taper off it. I gradually tapered off the same way I increased using it. All was fine all the way I stopped using endep the last week of last month. Right now I'm in the depression stage. I am using 50mg but still no improvement. I sleep but wake up at intervals. Will increasing it help?? This drug has really worked for me."

mame May 24, 2018

"I was prescribed Elavil after 3 years of terror with SSRI and SNRIs. I have to say that it helped me tremendously with sleeping, energy and headaches. I suffer from anxiety/depression. It helped with anxiety a lot. I threw away the clonazepam after 2 weeks. However for my bad luck it didn’t give me the remission —my old self. I was disconnected for three years and a half.. I was like circled not living the daily routine. If I would feel my old self I wouldn’t mind for the dry mouth and weight gain. Anyway I tapered it off and after 4 months I crashed. I tried Fetzima, Cymbalta without result. Now my doctor wants to put me back to Elavil and I’m crying all day because I know will help me with most of the symptoms except for not feeling my old self—just flat all day. I can’t imagine my life feeling disconnected from my children.. what should I do?"

Antonia1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2018

Elavil (amitriptyline): "This helped me tremendously in the matter of a few weeks. I was so hopeless that nothing would work and that I would never be myself again. I’m so thankful for this medicine. It changed my life."

Ann246G (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2018

Endep (amitriptyline): "Hello I've been on probably every SSRI except prozac which all had a short lived outcomes. Finally after 20 years I've been put on an SNRI and its working, started on 10mg endep for appetite which didn't work and given valium for the shakes and tears. Valium stopped working in less than 2 weeks, so I stopped taking it and psych increased the dosage of endep to 25mg, and I'm actually feeling good, after 6 months of awfulness, this might be my answer. Sleeping well, lots of energy, memory and concentration is better and no more teeth grinding. No real side effects except for the first day I started on the 10mg I copped a bad headache but that was it."

Seehowthisgoes (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

Endep (amitriptyline): "I dropped 50mg of Endep cold turkey over 3 years ago. I ended up with 24/7 migraines for a month, collapsed and was taken to Hospital and unfortunately the Doctor started me back on Endep He said they were good for Headaches. Left Hospital on a small dose and started having Panic Attacks all day every day, collapsed and was put back in Hospital. They increased my Dose of Endep. I am now trying to get off it again as it is not working, I am decreasing the Endep by 5mg a week."

Pattie March 15, 2018

"I took Elavil for a year and a half. It worked wonderfully well for me, I thought I was cured of my depression and weaned myself off. A few months later I could feel it creeping back so I'm in the process of getting back on it. I did gain some weight, went from 130lb to 176lb, but I don't care I'm so desperate to feel good again. I'll be fat, but I'll be happy."

ginger (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2018

"I was prescribed this drug for migraine prevention and when I took the first dose of 10 mg I could not wake up the next day and then stopped. But I did notice for about 5 days after that my mood was better. I was having all these un-diagnosed health problems and doctors thought I was having silent migraine, but now, I do believe I was battling depression. I did have a few bouts of depression over a 20 year period and was taking Zoloft and that helped, but this time I did not feel like the last time when I was depressed, as I did not have the "classic" depression symptoms. I am also going through menopause and I believe this is what is causing my depression. I cut the pills in half and started with 5 mg until I got used to the effect and then upped them to 10 mg after and week and I feel great and after 6 months, I feel like myself again. It has only been 2 weeks, but I am hoping that this is the answer."

mag61 February 28, 2018

"I normally don't write reviews and it's been over 3 years since I had a depressive episode, but I wanted to post something to let people know that there is always hope. I had a major depressive episode and couldn't sleep. I tried SSRIs and other antidepressants that either didn't work or caused side effects too great to tolerate. I was prescribed amitriptyline and I went back to my old self. I did have side effects such as weight gain and increased heart rate but these calmed down after a few months so worth waiting it out. My sleep returned first and it was restful and refreshing. Then my mood improved along with the anxiety. I was at desperation point by the time I went onto amitriptyline and I remember googling forums like this to help me maintain hope. The sad thing about depression is that it takes away the hope that you'll ever get better or lead a "normal" life again. I wanted to post this because I did get better, I returned to work and I resumed my life as it was before."

Babsy February 23, 2018

"Since being on this for nerve pain I have not had to go on my anti depressants and my mood has evened out too.not sure but I definitely think it works for me."

Cheekygirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 29, 2018

"Was prescribed for bipolar depression. At first it helped with insomnia (& relieved constipation!) which was a godsend, but faded faded after a few weeks. After 1 month I had crippling fatigue & it seriously jacked my heart rate up, so lowered from 75 to 50mg. Spent another month developing akathisia before finally ditching it. I’m sure it’s great for some, but my body hated it. Not to mention it did squat for my mood."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2018

"This drug has changed my life. I wish it hadn't taken going through 7-8 medications and 2 years of feeling like a test subject, but I finally found the one! Doctors tend to use SSRIs for the first line of defence against anxiety and depression (also insomnia). I tried Lexapro, Hydroxyzine, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Zoloft (again), and a variety of over the counter supplements. I also did yoga, crossfit, all the natural cures to mental instability. The SSRIs helped significantly but resulted in bad side effects such as sexual, feeling like a robot, and wearing off, over time. After a few melt downs, 3 doctors, and 2 years, I tried amitriptyline (a tricyclic antidepressant). Now, I feel fantastic- happy, sleeping well, anxiety-free"

Molldoll (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2017

"I have taken many SSRI's, none were all that great. Fluvoxamine helped my OCD some. So my prescribing psychologist put me on amitriptyline. It really works for me. Helps me sleep some, and I'm not having the chronic depression and low mood. Sometimes the oldies are the best."

bpmabq August 17, 2017

"Most effective antidepressant. Works way better than SSRI and Effexor."

cw21 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2017

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I was prescribed Elavil for depression and migraine prevention. After taking only two 10mg doses of elavil, I had a severe manic episode. (Note: I am not bi-polar.) I was shaking, pacing, unable to sleep, talking a mile a minute but making no sense, full of anxiety and rage, unable to eat or keep anything down and in a total panic. My husband took me to the ER when my heart rate went through the roof and I became short of breath. The hospital kept me overnight on a heart monitor and gave me sedatives to calm me down. My doctor wants me to try another medication but I am terrified at the prospect. Honestly, I'd rather be depressed and have migraines than try another anti depressant. One bad experience was ENOUGH."

MigraineMisery (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

"I use to read these reviews all the time while trying to figure out a med that would work for me. I promised myself I would write a review if I ever found one that was working for me. I have been diagnosed with treatment resistant clinical depression, anxiety and panic disorder. I have been hospitalized twice in the past two years. It has made my life a living hell. After 15 ECT treatments and 150mg of amitriptyline I am finally doing much better. My point to writing this is please don't ever give up!"

Baf123 December 4, 2016

"Been on the drug for 45 years. I have tried several other ones but had no relief. I hate the cholinergic side effects, dry mouth, rapid heart rate, dry eyes and constipation. Every time I try to progressively wean off I get sick as a dog. Still, this drug has probably saved my life."

Ranta (taken for 10 years or more) August 21, 2016

"Im a 58 year old male. Ive had depression problems for most of my life. I have a normal home life and am a fairly normal person. Ive had doctors give me probably 100s of different meds to combat depression. I have educated myself on how to deal with the symtoms . Every doctor i have seen for this always told me that i just need to find the right medication and they were right. Its taken years but amitriptiline has changed my life. Im amazed the difference it has made. My thinking is clear and my mood stable. I believe if i had this medication early in my life many things would be different . finding the right med is everything.. Good luck."

ailiff August 18, 2016

"When I was about 15, I started getting these feelings of what I can only explain as "An Impending Doom." I wasn't sad, but whenever I tried to do something that I thought was fun, my whole brain started to freak out and all I wanted to do was shut down. There was nothing I could do about it. Apparently, this sort of thing happened to most of the people in my family and on my mothers side. So, I talked to my doctor and he said it sounded like a chemical imbalance, seeing as I wasn't sad about anything and I was healthy, so he asked me to try Amitriptyline. Once I started it, all of my symptoms basically vanished and after 2 years I've fully adjusted to it's affects on my body."

Matt Dobbs August 15, 2016

Endep (amitriptyline): "i use endep for 14 years for my depresion it is very good for me i take 100 mg every nighte i fill verey good and sleep verey nice and good no thinking no sad just i be relax thanks my god"

Abdolkhadir.athari August 5, 2016

"I've been on 300 mg of Effexor for depression and anxiety for years. Last year I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My rheumatologist gave me amytriptyline because I couldn't sleep. Wow!! What a difference. I can sleep. I'm upbeat. I feel great. I am one of the few who has hallucinations - only at night, only when I wake up not long after I've fallen asleep. Usually I see bugs - bees, spiders, etc. They are always black because it's dark in the room. Once I saw white feathers coming from the air conditioner. They usually stop as soon I become coherent. It was scary at first, but now I'm more conscious of it, so I usually just fall back to sleep. It's worth it to have my fibro and depression undet control."

5catmom (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I am a mother of 3 kids 33 and have anxiety/depression I was on Effexor 150 mg " this should be illegal! " didn't work and If a dose was missed it felt like few hours of a drug "rush" like speed or cocaine...intense night sweats highly addictive AVOID! , Celexa " had bad sexual side effects", zoloft "robot drug". I am getting back to Elavil 10 mg. Elavil is great I feel happy on it . It makes me enjoy life and little things again. I don't need to take much for it to work and I have no side effects at all on a 10 mg daily dose. I felt sleepy for two weeks when I started but it resorbs and you can then feel its full beneficial effects quickly general mood elevation and good feeling". Anxiety is under control on it and I sleep better."

ladybug33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2016

Endep (amitriptyline): "I have only been on this drug for two weeks and as yet not noticed any difference with my depression. My anxiety levels are up, I have swooshing, buzzing noises in my ears, I even feel dizzy while seated and even just turning my head from side to side. I have noticed tingling in my fingers. My balance is affected, feeling like a drunk person. My head throbs."

poey May 23, 2016

"Drug worked like a miracle on anxiety and depression - BUT, it made my ears ring and caused hearing loss. NOW more depressed than ever. 75 mg for 6 days and ear went numb. Nightmare scenario and I'm living it."

Tinnitusfromthis March 2, 2016

"I used Tryptanol 20 years ago and found that this med worked for me. After trying so many other anti-depressant medications and I have found that I am always have to increase them, then they work for a while and then I have to increase the meds again. I recently went on Endep and I could notice a difference in a few days. I chose to go back on these meds. It wasn't the Dr's suggestion. I'm so glad I went back on these :) The only side effects I have noticed is a dry mouth."

Bright Star13 February 29, 2016