User Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Depression

Amitriptyline has an average rating of 8.0 out of 10 from a total of 100 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 74% of those users who reviewed Amitriptyline reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.0/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Amitriptyline

user10k May 8, 2021

“Been suffering from depression and anxiety for over 10 years. This medication did nothing to alleviate my symptoms. I've been taking it for almost 3 weeks now, yet I'm exhausted, lethargic, I feel spaced out most of the time, I force myself to do things that I absolutely must do but I don't do a good job because I really don't want to do them. I'm going back to my Dr's office to see if my dose could be increased or I could go on a different antidepressant. I've tried SSRIs in the past, and while they had their own problems, they seemed to work instantly for my mood. Giving it 3/10 because it does help me sleep at night and it didn't have any side effects unlike the SSRIs I was on before.”

Scott · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2021

“Been on multiple antidepressants over the years but none have helped me like this old drug. It does have a lot of side effects, but I'm willing to put up with them because it completely wipes out my anxiety and depression.”

owen74 April 4, 2021

“I'm really sad about probably having to need to stop this med as it has been absolutely brilliant for my depression & anxiety. Me = 47 year old male, long term depression/anxiety sufferer. I would always find that the common SSRI meds I tried in the past would ease my depression & anxiety, but not actually get rid of it fully enough so that I felt 'normal'. Then I tried amitriptyline (75mg a day) & for the first time in about 10 years, ALL depression/and anxiety, gone! Unfortunately I'm getting a side effect: 'tachycardia', which means this med is making my heart beat too fast. I was just sunbathing in the garden, totally relaxed, & even then my heart was beating way over 100 bpm. Note: a very common side effect which I get from amitriptyline, is dry mouth. This didn't actually bother me though, as it lessened as the weeks went on, plus I would just drink some water.”

JEB 38M · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2020

“6 WEEKS Give this medicine a chance, I did not see any results week 1, week 2, week 3, week 4, then began to notice the fog lift week 5. I had tried paxil ,cymbalta,effexor,wellbutrin,celexa,citalopram,escitalopram,buspirone,trintellix,viibryd (worked for 1month),abilify (worked for 1 month). Some are duplicates (generic). Even tried suboxone it worked for almost 1 year. Amitryptyline sedating effects don't exactly wear off. They completely go away and its almost like the sedative effects slowly transform into energy and wellbeing which I think is good because while its sedating it allows your body to rest and repair itself while catching up on sleep. Don't hold me to this and it might just be an aberrant few good days. I will follow up with some more info in a few weeks. Please pray for me if you are reading this as I pray you and anyone who is struggling with that hopelessness that we all know too well.”

NikiMik · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2019

“I had the darkest 5+ years of my life and was certain that nothing could help me get out of the black hole in which I lived. Because I was also having problems with insomnia my doctor added 15 mg of this medicine amitriptyline. It has saved my life. I don’t know how to say that loud enough and with enough emphasis and drama because, just 12 days ago, quite honestly death was looking like a better option than living the tiny dark life that I was existing within. My only fear is that this will be short lived. Overall I’m sleeping so much better, I’m thinking better, I’m not anxious or paranoid about the plethora of things I am accustomed to being anxious about. I literally was able to accomplish so much today — and I was focused, made decisions without fear, was on-time, didn’t have to make excuses, and was light hearted and I guess “normal”.”

Babsy February 23, 2018

“I normally don't write reviews and it's been over 3 years since I had a depressive episode, but I wanted to post something to let people know that there is always hope. I had a major depressive episode and couldn't sleep. I tried SSRIs and other antidepressants that either didn't work or caused side effects too great to tolerate. I was prescribed amitriptyline and I went back to my old self. I did have side effects such as weight gain and increased heart rate but these calmed down after a few months so worth waiting it out. My sleep returned first and it was restful and refreshing. Then my mood improved along with the anxiety. I was at desperation point by the time I went onto amitriptyline and I remember googling forums like this to help me maintain hope. The sad thing about depression is that it takes away the hope that you'll ever get better or lead a "normal" life again. I wanted to post this because I did get better, I returned to work and I resumed my life as it was before.”

Tara · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

“Never shared before but wanted to give the hope that others have given to me, you can feel better , for me finding out as much as i can about the illness, counselling, diet and exercise and finding the anti depressant which works for you, In my case this is amytriptyline. Having suffered from depression on an unmanageable level without medication for the past 14 years , I have been tried on several SSRI, SNRIs and mirtazipine resulting in my loosing hope of feeling like my old self again. As a last resort the doctor agreed to try amytriptyline and within days of starting on a low dose of 10mg I seen some improvement, 2 months on I take 15mg before bed and am living a more content and peaceful life in body and mind. Don't give up.”

Baf123 December 4, 2016

“I use to read these reviews all the time while trying to figure out a med that would work for me. I promised myself I would write a review if I ever found one that was working for me. I have been diagnosed with treatment resistant clinical depression, anxiety and panic disorder. I have been hospitalized twice in the past two years. It has made my life a living hell. After 15 ECT treatments and 150mg of amitriptyline I am finally doing much better. My point to writing this is please don't ever give up!”

LLTLLTLLTLLT34 September 20, 2011

Elavil (amitriptyline): “I just got my prescription filled for the 3rd time and wanted to write a review to help others. I was so scared to take this after having a bad experience with Zoloft. I remember coming here and reading all the reviews and still didn't take the medicines prescribed until a month later. The first two weeks I was so tired and had extreme dry mouth. I thought I would have to quit because I was so tired and couldn't work. I had two weeks off between Christmas and the New Year and decided to stick with it. I'm so glad I did. I feel like myself again and with zero side effects now except for when I don't take it for a few days. If I ever do come off, I will ween slowly. I was also so scared to gain weight which, thankfully, didn't happen. Love it!”

ailiff August 18, 2016

“Im a 58 year old male. Ive had depression problems for most of my life. I have a normal home life and am a fairly normal person. Ive had doctors give me probably 100s of different meds to combat depression. I have educated myself on how to deal with the symtoms . Every doctor i have seen for this always told me that i just need to find the right medication and they were right. Its taken years but amitriptiline has changed my life. Im amazed the difference it has made. My thinking is clear and my mood stable. I believe if i had this medication early in my life many things would be different . finding the right med is everything.. Good luck.”

Ilovebrian13 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2020

“Please don't be afraid to take Amitryptaline. I have taken Wellbutrin, Prozac, Zoloft, Pristiq and finally Amtriptyline. Wellbutin gave me a horrendous rash and worsened anxiety. Prozac did nothing. Zoloft made me gain 50 pounds because I loved to sleep on it. Pristiq was OK, but I still had some awful PMS symptoms (cramps, anxiety and migraines). Trintellix didn't work. Amitryptaline is my saving grace! Don't be afraid of it. My Dr. avoided prescribing it, because it has such a bad rep. I'm doing Keto and IF (intermittent fasting) to counteract it. I feel fantastic, stable, happy, I get a great nights rest and I have energy! <3 When you 1st start it will knock you out for about 24 hours. I'd start it when you have the following day off work.”

Fortunate · Taken for 10 years or more June 15, 2020

Endep (amitriptyline): “I have been taking Endep for well over 12 years without any side effects whatsoever. It has helped me greatly my maintenance dose is 100mg. It also helps my pain as well as being able to get about 6 hours sleep at night. l am an elderly person but Endep has contributed to giving me a better quality of life -”

Rastus · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 28, 2019

“I had experienced anxiety and depression..It was horrible!! I started on Elavil for a number of months, I got my life back!!!!! I absolutely thought I would never over come the anxiety! I'm on 100 my at night now n feel soooooo good! Back to my old self!”

Calamity Jane September 22, 2015

“i have suffered for many, many years with major depressive disorder among others I have tried way too many different drugs to alleviate my symptoms. While most meds helped to some degree it was rather like putting a bandaid on a hemorrhaging aorta. Since I have started on only 25 mg of amitriptyline my life has turned around. I feel like my old self. I never dreamed i would have the opportunity to feel so "normal". The years were flying by and I thought my lot in life was to get by with my bandaid firmly affixed. Now I am strong emotionally and whatever has come down the pike has not paralyzed my being. I am thrilled and grateful that my Psych let me try this. At 69 (and a half) i truly have a new lease on the rest of my life. ”

It Works · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 26, 2013

“I was one of those people who thought nothing would work for me - I was too far gone and beyond help. Restless, sleepless nights and all the anxiety and depression were killing me. And then I found Amitriptyline. At last.....Sleep. That's all that mattered to begin with. You simply cannot underestimate the power of sleep. During the day I felt far less agitated and less stressed. Of course life can still throw slings and arrows your way and there are side effects for sure but none as bad as the frazzled state I was in before I took them.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2012

“I started this medicine just last week and have already had a complete personality change for the better. I didn't even realize how bad my depression was until I got rid of it. I didn't think any medication would work, let alone so quickly. This medication has planted the seed of a thought in my head: there is always hope!”

Adama · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2020

“I tried many different medications for depression and anxiety. SSRIs, Benzos were both epic fails and caused more problems than they were worth. When I moved and got a new doctor he reviewed all the past failure drugs and proposed amatriptline. A drug first approved in the early 1960s. After the very 1st dose of 10mg was a stunning improvement. I highly recommend those who are treatment resistance or have realized the MTHFR gene exists in them. For those who do not methylate folate. For me amitriptline was god send since suffering from Xanax ot benzo withdrawl. Amitriptline is $5 bucks copay not sure of retail but it will be cheap.”

ladybug33 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 20, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): “I am a mother of 3 kids 33 and have anxiety/depression I was on Effexor 150 mg " this should be illegal! " didn't work and If a dose was missed it felt like few hours of a drug "rush" like speed or cocaine...intense night sweats highly addictive AVOID! , Celexa " had bad sexual side effects", zoloft "robot drug". I am getting back to Elavil 10 mg. Elavil is great I feel happy on it . It makes me enjoy life and little things again. I don't need to take much for it to work and I have no side effects at all on a 10 mg daily dose. I felt sleepy for two weeks when I started but it resorbs and you can then feel its full beneficial effects quickly general mood elevation and good feeling". Anxiety is under control on it and I sleep better.”

CJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2020

“I've tried pretty much every antidepressant. Amitriptyline has been the best. I was on 10mg anyway for tension headaches and it worked a treat. After jumping through hoops and trying the first line of defence meds for depression, like SSRI's and Mirtazapine my doctor let me try Amitriptyline. I started on 25mg, then 50mg, 75mg and 100mg on the fourth week. I now feel like my normal self. Mirtazapine just sedated me too much and gives you a ridiculously high appetite. I have none of that with Amitriptyline. I think most of the older meds work the best, it's just doctors don't like using them as much anymore with increased risks of side affects like MAOI's.”

Wen · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2019

Elavil (amitriptyline): “I have been depressed for a very long time. I took everything and nothing worked. My doctor gave me Elavil I'm scared to take it. This whole summer I never went out. All the things I used to love to do. I don't do them no more. I feel so alone. I don't know if I should try it. I never heard of it”

Jomama January 7, 2021

Elavil (amitriptyline): “Elavil makes me poo my britches. I feel really good when I use it but then out of nowhere I poop my pants or sometimes I poop the bed in my sleep. This is embarrassing and frightening to experience. One night while on elavil I went dancing with some friends. I wore my favorite dance pants which are a tight stretchy material and very thin fabric. I refuse to wear underwear with these particular pants as I enjoy how they accentuate my shall I say “fruits and vegetables “. Anyhoo you can imagine the sheer terror and embarrassment when I dropped a steamy, extremely foul smelling deuce right there on the dance floor. I ran out the door crying and was banned from ever going back. I couldn’t completely get the stain out of my favorite dancing britches and that makes me very sad.”

Molldoll · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 18, 2017

“This drug has changed my life. I wish it hadn't taken going through 7-8 medications and 2 years of feeling like a test subject, but I finally found the one! Doctors tend to use SSRIs for the first line of defence against anxiety and depression (also insomnia). I tried Lexapro, Hydroxyzine, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Zoloft (again), and a variety of over the counter supplements. I also did yoga, crossfit, all the natural cures to mental instability. The SSRIs helped significantly but resulted in bad side effects such as sexual, feeling like a robot, and wearing off, over time. After a few melt downs, 3 doctors, and 2 years, I tried amitriptyline (a tricyclic antidepressant). Now, I feel fantastic- happy, sleeping well, anxiety-free”

Verity · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 28, 2020

“Hi, I was started on Amitriptyline 10mg up to 3 a day ,one for Fibro pain and 1 or 2 for sleep . I have been on Mirtazapine 45mg for depression for a few years but weaned myself down to 15 mg as I felt it was not working anymore. After a telephone appointment with my doctor he told confirmed what I had read that 15 mg Mirtazapine helps with sleep and after swapping the times around that I took the 3 x10mg re Amitriptyline I found sleep better .After a visit to my doc we decided that 2 x25 mg Amitriptyline ,one for day and 1 for night with my 15 mg Mirtazapine plus I added 2 herbal sleeping tablets....works a treat for me regarding depression and sleep. It has been about 6 months of this combination now and my condition is much improved. I couldn't praise Amitriptyline more, it has changed my life although I do understand it's not for everyone .”

CatLady · Taken for 10 years or more August 2, 2018

Elavil (amitriptyline): “It was the only antidepressant that worked for me way back in the 80's. They tried everything else but MAOI's. It has had no side effects for me in past 35 years. BUT, in the 90s a doctor (an MD) wanted to see if the newer SSRIs would work also so I said OK. Well, about 3 weeks into this venture, I got a headache so bad that I called her and said I can't live with this pain. Needless to say, she immediately got me back on the Eavil. Don't try going off this medicine because it has a very bad side effect. That is OK for me though. I'm now 79 and figure I will always take it. Told my doctor if I ever go into a coma, please always give me this medicine until I die! I do take the generic now because of the price and it works just as well.”

Patsy 30 I · Taken for 10 years or more September 1, 2019

“I have suffered from depression for over 20 years. I have been taking amitryptiline for about 15 years. I did try other meds that made me feel very drowsy the next day. I have managed, over the last six months to cut my dose down from 150mg a day to 50mg, (after talking to my doctor) & feel just fine. I will stick to this dose as I don't want to risk a backward slide into depression.”

B April 10, 2019

“Amitriptyline is the the best 10/10. I was very bad with morning depression felt like I was drowning. Then I found amitriptyline 25mg, I take two near night time. Now I am back to myself I’m telling you the best for morning depression that lasts all day and night. I get a good night sleep and don't feel high, but just normal again. I only found 1 side effect which is low libido, but I tell you well worth a try. 6 years on amitriptyline and still great”

Baz · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 4, 2019

“Was suffering with chronic anxiety and depression. Pregabalin helped a lot with the anxiety but I was still having low mood and poor sleep. I started on Amitriptyline 25mg to help with sleep which it certainly did. However over a few weeks I noticed my mood was improving too! Just over 12 months and I am now off the pregabalin but I am still taking the Amitriptyline just in case. Would definitely recommend. No side effects noticed apart from occasional dry mouth and drowsiness after taking both of which have now stopped.”

Darkpot · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2019

“Well, I'm male, 30, I have severe hemophilia A, I have severe arthritis, pain, and depression also I'm under weight. I started using AMITRIPTYLINE from 5 to 25 mg. Anyone using it should know it takes a month for it to work, at first you will have dry mouth, fast to sleep at nights, and weight gain. All of these side effects were my solutions actually I was very thin, now I'm at good weight scale. I gained weight, I became more sedated, less mood swings, less pain, more active. So far, after a month of 25 mg amitrip I became really better, both on depression and pain (also better at anxiety). For me its great. Negative things are dry mouth and a bit of constipation, but these wane off after a while.”