User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Depression

"Most effective antidepressant. Works way better than SSRI and Effexor."

cw21 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I was prescribed Elavil for depression and migraine prevention. After taking only two 10mg doses of elavil, I had a severe manic episode. (Note: I am not bi-polar.) I was shaking, pacing, unable to sleep, talking a mile a minute but making no sense, full of anxiety and rage, unable to eat or keep anything down and in a total panic. My husband took me to the ER when my heart rate went through the roof and I became short of breath. The hospital kept me overnight on a heart monitor and gave me sedatives to calm me down. My doctor wants me to try another medication but I am terrified at the prospect. Honestly, I'd rather be depressed and have migraines than try another anti depressant. One bad experience was ENOUGH."

MigraineMisery (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I use to read these reviews all the time while trying to figure out a med that would work for me. I promised myself I would write a review if I ever found one that was working for me. I have been diagnosed with treatment resistant clinical depression, anxiety and panic disorder. I have been hospitalized twice in the past two years. It has made my life a living hell. After 15 ECT treatments and 150mg of amitriptyline I am finally doing much better. My point to writing this is please don't ever give up!"

Baf123 December 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on the drug for 45 years. I have tried several other ones but had no relief. I hate the cholinergic side effects, dry mouth, rapid heart rate, dry eyes and constipation. Every time I try to progressively wean off I get sick as a dog. Still, this drug has probably saved my life."

Ranta (taken for 10 years or more) August 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Im a 58 year old male. Ive had depression problems for most of my life. I have a normal home life and am a fairly normal person. Ive had doctors give me probably 100s of different meds to combat depression. I have educated myself on how to deal with the symtoms . Every doctor i have seen for this always told me that i just need to find the right medication and they were right. Its taken years but amitriptiline has changed my life. Im amazed the difference it has made. My thinking is clear and my mood stable. I believe if i had this medication early in my life many things would be different . finding the right med is everything.. Good luck."

ailiff August 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I was about 15, I started getting these feelings of what I can only explain as "An Impending Doom." I wasn't sad, but whenever I tried to do something that I thought was fun, my whole brain started to freak out and all I wanted to do was shut down. There was nothing I could do about it. Apparently, this sort of thing happened to most of the people in my family and on my mothers side. So, I talked to my doctor and he said it sounded like a chemical imbalance, seeing as I wasn't sad about anything and I was healthy, so he asked me to try Amitriptyline. Once I started it, all of my symptoms basically vanished and after 2 years I've fully adjusted to it's affects on my body."

Matt Dobbs August 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Endep (amitriptyline): "i use endep for 14 years for my depresion it is very good for me i take 100 mg every nighte i fill verey good and sleep verey nice and good no thinking no sad just i be relax thanks my god"

Abdolkhadir.athari August 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on 300 mg of Effexor for depression and anxiety for years. Last year I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My rheumatologist gave me amytriptyline because I couldn't sleep. Wow!! What a difference. I can sleep. I'm upbeat. I feel great. I am one of the few who has hallucinations - only at night, only when I wake up not long after I've fallen asleep. Usually I see bugs - bees, spiders, etc. They are always black because it's dark in the room. Once I saw white feathers coming from the air conditioner. They usually stop as soon I become coherent. It was scary at first, but now I'm more conscious of it, so I usually just fall back to sleep. It's worth it to have my fibro and depression undet control."

5catmom (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I am a mother of 3 kids 33 and have anxiety/depression I was on Effexor 150 mg " this should be illegal! " didn't work and If a dose was missed it felt like few hours of a drug "rush" like speed or cocaine...intense night sweats highly addictive AVOID! , Celexa " had bad sexual side effects", zoloft "robot drug". I am getting back to Elavil 10 mg. Elavil is great I feel happy on it . It makes me enjoy life and little things again. I don't need to take much for it to work and I have no side effects at all on a 10 mg daily dose. I felt sleepy for two weeks when I started but it resorbs and you can then feel its full beneficial effects quickly general mood elevation and good feeling". Anxiety is under control on it and I sleep better."

ladybug33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Endep (amitriptyline): "I have only been on this drug for two weeks and as yet not noticed any difference with my depression. My anxiety levels are up, I have swooshing, buzzing noises in my ears, I even feel dizzy while seated and even just turning my head from side to side. I have noticed tingling in my fingers. My balance is affected, feeling like a drunk person. My head throbs."

poey May 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Drug worked like a miracle on anxiety and depression - BUT, it made my ears ring and caused hearing loss. NOW more depressed than ever. 75 mg for 6 days and ear went numb. Nightmare scenario and I'm living it."

Tinnitusfromthis March 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used Tryptanol 20 years ago and found that this med worked for me. After trying so many other anti-depressant medications and I have found that I am always have to increase them, then they work for a while and then I have to increase the meds again. I recently went on Endep and I could notice a difference in a few days. I chose to go back on these meds. It wasn't the Dr's suggestion. I'm so glad I went back on these :) The only side effects I have noticed is a dry mouth."

Bright Star13 February 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been on this drug for almost 3 weeks. Started out on 25 MG and am currently taking 50 mg. Helped tremendously with much needed sleep. Make sure to be in bed when the medicine kicks in. You will sleep a long time but to me it's worth it! I've seen small improvements. Believe it's causing me to be pretty dizzy. Will give it time though! Will update later on.I am very glad my Dr tried this type of antidepressant. Been on lexapro, zoloft, cymbalta, and wellbrution. I believe they just aren't as strong as the older antidepressants. Good luck to you. Hold on even if you feel like there is no hope left!!!!!"

Redhead1967 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I've tried about every medication out there for my anxiety and depression; welbutrin Zoloft Paxil , Cymbalta, Emsam, Xanax , etc.. At 75mg Elavil helped me sleep, I had more energy, I didn't feel restless, and I rarely got upset. I thought I had found the perfect cure until I started to gain weight. I decreased my calorie intake increased my exercise and the weight just kept coming. In 4 months I had gained 26 pounds. I also started to such severe dry mouth my throat was dry and my voice was hoarse, I also started to have blurred vision. I really like this medicine but know if I can handle the side effects."

Perfect, (except weight gain) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with depression/anxiety 10 years ago. Have practically been on every SSRI, SNRI, Seroquel, ALL kinds of benzos (do NOT recommend- highly addictive!) I felt so frustrated that none of the anti-depressants were working for me and avoided tricyclics for fear of weight gain. Last week I finally realised that I need serious help as I was planning suicide. I'm back on 100mg endep and 25mg Seroquel if needed at night. I sleep fantastic, wake up feeling so refreshed. Sleeping makes a HUGE difference, and the funny thing is now that I'm feeling good, I'm out of bed and exercising. I know it's scary to think about weight gain but it really is different for everyone and it's worth a shot! Endep's been the only one for me. Good luck!"

OrcaLuna (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Elavil works in my case as a pain killer/anti depressant. I does have some cons that I was not warned about. I was told by my doctor to take 150mg before bed so I did as told and woke up only when my wife shook me for a second I would eat and go right back to sleep this happened for the first 24 hours the next I had no choice but to stay awake. being awake I had problems with balance and depth perception. my mind was racing with what felt like hundreds of thoughts. my ability to speak was reduced to short sentences. it felt like my jaw was not moving fast enough to make more than a few sentences. after taking that dosage down from 150mg to 37.5mg I am able to speak clearly but my mind is still a little foggy. and the back pain is not as bad"

Indigenous Soldier (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not recommending this, on 25mg, knocked me out for 12 hours and groggy for the next 12 hours. Cut pill into quarters and still had strong effect causing groggyness all of next day. Went to trazadone, which is perfect for me."

Pk721 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am an ex heroin user and currently been on a methadone programme for fifteen years I'm on propranalol for anxiety and chlorpromazine 50 mgs for psychotic episodes also on serequel 200mg day 250 mg at night my psychiatrist put me on amitriptyline 50mgs for depression and really bad anxiety I haven't felt so good in years get a great nights sleep and I take it during day helps anxiety attacks I was constipated really bad for years and now I can go every day excellent results for me"

sac32 Scotland girl October 31, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Endep (amitriptyline): "I was on 75mg of Endep & noticed 2 extreme side effects which lead to me having to stop taking the medication. The first was rapid & excessive weight gain; I gained 6 kgs (13 pounds) within 8 weeks (at 160cm, this is quite a bit of weight). I had no change in my diet, my exercise stayed the same, so the Endep was the only thing that could have caused the weight gain. The second was extreme Night Terrors. These occurred every night & were extremely frightening for myself & family, as I would wake up screaming & kicking every night. This occurred almost immediately after starting the Endep. Since stopping the Endep 2 weeks ago, the Night Terrors have ceased completely, & I have lost 1kg with no change in diet."

affff (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"i have suffered for many, many years with major depressive disorder among others I have tried way too many different drugs to alleviate my symptoms. While most meds helped to some degree it was rather like putting a bandaid on a hemorrhaging aorta. Since I have started on only 25 mg of amitriptyline my life has turned around. I feel like my old self. I never dreamed i would have the opportunity to feel so "normal". The years were flying by and I thought my lot in life was to get by with my bandaid firmly affixed. Now I am strong emotionally and whatever has come down the pike has not paralyzed my being. I am thrilled and grateful that my Psych let me try this. At 69 (and a half) i truly have a new lease on the rest of my life. "

Calamity Jane September 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been suffering from depression almost all my life. Ive been on several different medications though out the last 10 years. I ended up with peripheral neuropathy last year and was sent to a neurologist, he put me on amitriptyline for the burning and he also said it will help with insomnia and my depression. I absolutely am happy with this drug!!! Better then Prozac, I still have feelings.(lol). Anyhow if you r debating on this medication, I recommend it 100 percent. I take 100mg a couple hours before bed, unless I get upset during the day,(then ill take 25mg just to take the edge off.) Then I'll just take 75 mgs before bed,"

wonder drug! (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 20, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works great! Tried most antidepressants, this works the best for me. Dry mouth and constipation lessen over time but it is still quite sedating"

drm562 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I feel way better on Elavil than cymbalta. I'm back to being Me ,not a grumpy stressed monster. I'm going to call my Dr to personally thank him for switching me."

kurt H May 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this anti-depressant for many years and while it has helped me to sleep, I have had really bad tinnitus, so I won't be taking it again."

moggilicious (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had severe anxiety my whole life paired with depression and bipolar disorder. Ever since I was a child, I've had chronic migraines and headaches, especially at ages where I just shouldn't be having them. My doctor prescribed me this to calm me down and help stabilize my brain activity, so as to halt the anxiety and depression he thought was causing my headaches and migraines. The pill worked fine after the first few doses, but I guess my body developed a tolerance. Now, when I don't take it, I'm extremely nervous and my depressive tendencies skyrocket. My headaches and migraines never went away. I feel that this pull had a negative effect on me rather than actually helping, and I will be consulting my doctor for something else."

klsheuns (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2015