User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1853 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Pain

"I have had Neuropathy in my feet for over 15 years. I take 10mg a day and my feet do not bother me. Without the drug I get a pins and needles or pain feeling in my feet. The Neuropathy preceded a Diabetes diagnosis by about 10 years. It is one of my meds that I can feel if I forget to take it. To date I don't think I have seen a side effect."

Jan456 August 19, 2016

Endep (amitriptyline): "I've been taking 10mg Endep for 2 weeks for bladder pain. I may have a mild case of interstitial cystitis but I haven't been officially diagnosed yet. I have found it has worked really well with the pain. I went from being in pain all the time to only a couple of times and it's been manageable. I have dry mouth and an increased appetite from Endep but the worst side effect is constant drowsiness and a general feeling of being drugged up."

Hkfygcjb August 10, 2016

"Ive been taking this for about 3 1/2 years. It works great for what I take it for. The only problem I have, which is a huge problem, is increased appetite and weight gain. I'm actually gonna start a different medication for nerve pain. Amitriptyline has helped but I'm also battling obesity. This medication doesn't help at all in that area. Im still young, mid 30s. So maybe I'll resume taking it when I'm in my 60s or 70s. I wont care so much then about the weight gain. "

Funday (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2016

"It's taking the edge off of my pain but leaving me with terrible headaches so is it really worth the trade in pains? I'll continue to take this and see if the headaches subside for another week,after that if the headaches continue I will probably discontinue elavil!"

Tina57 July 8, 2016

"I have using these for post stroke pain for only one week I think I saw some slight Improvement but I'm taking gabapentin and Lyrica as well I want to get off them because I've gained so much weight 60 pounds in 3 years."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Was prescribed Elavil mainly for chronic headaches. Also suffer from depression, anxiety and insomnia so my neurologist had me start Elavil to try and kill many birds with one stone, so to speak. Elavil worked great to reduce the intensity of my headaches. Although they were still going on it was much more tolerable. I had been on Elavil only one month and a week before I stopped. First week my insomnia and anxiety seemed to be simmering down (This stopped soon after week 2). As for my depression... Elavil put it under a magnifying glass. I was suicidal and crying on a daily basis, it was not the medication for me... It helped with the main objective but at a horrible cost."

Fal (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

"I am currently 16 years old, and have chronic nerve pain in my left arm- it has been 2 years so far. The doctors did basically nothing until now because my insurance (state insurance) was having them go through all kinds of hoops. Finally I was sent to pain management in the recent month, and from there I was prescribed amitriptyline hcl. I've found so far, after taking this medication for almost a week, 10mg 30 mins before I go to bed, that I've been having intense headaches, but only in my right side of my brain, along with sinus pressure and extreme drowsiness. I literally have slept an entire 19 hours! Normally I only sleep from 10pm to 6am, so sleeping this long is insane. So far it hasn't helped with my pain either... :("

Kitth (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

"My experience with amitriptyline I take 20mg in the evening, and it helps my pain tremendously. I can't take Lyrica, gabipenton due to edema side effects. My only complaint is that I can't wake up! It's causing problems with my marriage, and other family relationships. It's catch 20/20. Do I take only medication that allows me to function on daily basis with my chronic pain,or live in pain to maintain family relationships. : /"

Randireal1! June 19, 2016

"I was in good health but developed severe neuropathic burning pain all over the body due to an MRI scan. I have been taking 10mg amitriptyline for the past 4 weeks and it seems to be starting to work, the burning pain is less severe so far. It hasn't helped any other symptoms which devleoped following teh scan but I would recommend it for neuropathic pain- also, I haven't develeoped any of the stated side effects. My friend also takes it in a higher dose (50) for depression and she is fine on it (no weight gain etc). Side effects not a reason to not take for pain."

Bina2016 June 14, 2016

"Herniated and degenerated disc, with sciatic leg pains, very disabling, unable to get about, get dressed or look after my child and dog in bad days, tried the usual fib off from Doctors and many prescribed medication, Amitriptyline works as pain relief but have been on several months now and always had very thick healthy hair, falls out excessively now and thinning, weight gain at fast pace was always a size 8 not now can't stop eating, still with pain but can look after my family just, side effects ae depressing for me but they manage the pain to a point after trying alot. Now looking into alternative healthy medication I'm told from a sufferer of back and disc pain that I should stop taking this toxin and try hemp oil along with vitamins."

Knackers Yard (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

"Started amitrip. For Fibromyalgia 5 weeks ago @10mg. I started it on a Friday night after reading the reviews in case it made me groggy. The first two night/mornings I slept significantly throughout the day. But by Monday morning I was fine, and up by my usual 5:30am school route to take my children to school. I felt a slight difference. No other side effects. My pain was still there but just slightly less. Doctor moved me to 20mgs after 3 weeks. Again, groggyness but only the first day. But wow!, I noticed my pain is about 75% gone after the 3rd day or so. I still get pain if I over work myself. But I just need to moderate my self. Looking forward, hoping the next increase will be my miracle. Very happy!"

FrancescaPrieto-fibromyalgia (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2016

"I was put on Amitriptyline 10mg to help with severe back pain and trapped sciatic nerve affectng the lower right leg very badly. Had to stop driving. I started to sleep extremely well but had not really had much pain to cope with at night so there was nothing special to note there. Daytime pain seemed unchanged until about 5 to 6 weeks into the course I did notice that daytime pain had lessened. However I also noticed that in weeks 6 to 7, I was feeling extremely low, depressed, lifeless and started to have dull headaches, reread the side effects and decided to stop the drug immediately. I am a different person, feeling so much more alive and for me, the drug caused an effect more serious than the back and leg pain."

Julla (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Have been taking for over 1 week now fibromyalgia pain, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 2 weeks but I felt better after one day of using it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"Was depressed with Psychologie and pains. Amitriptyline was prescribt. It is very good. Side effect are dry mouth and dizziness but works really"

Mosesking (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Have been taking for over 1 week now and after have all over fibromyalgia pain as well as night sweats, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 60 days to really work but I felt better after one day."

KYGrl133 May 6, 2016

"I'm into my third week with amitript. It was prescribed as a possible helper for what likely is a squashed sciatic nerve in the base of the spine that does the worst kinds of pain things%u20147.5ish%u2014to my butt, left leg and foot. I've had three shots of cortisone into my lower spine. Nothing. I live in hope that amitript will be effective and surgery might be avoided."

UncleDunc (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

"Was diagnosed with plasmacytoma in the left mandible and went through radiation therapy 5 days a week for 5 weeks. The radiation did a lot of damage to the inside of my mouth and tongue. I now have an exposed bone in my gum by the molars. I was healing nicely then out of the blue I started having severe pain in my jaw. It only lasted less than 10 minutes x 10 per day, but it would come on suddenly and was severe. My oncologist said it was probably nerve regeneration causing the nerves to spasm. He prescribed amitriptyline 10mg and said to increase every 3-4 days until I start feeling relief. I am on 30 mg now and no pain at all and yes I have been sleeping great. My mouth was already dry from the radiation so no problem."

Tjf13150 April 15, 2016

"Use to sleep through night time back pain. When I wake up at night it is easy to get back to sleep. I use 10 mg. Initially woke in morning with headaches but learned to take 3 hours before bedtime and no more headaches. Sometimes slightly groggy in morning but short lived. Sometimes wake in morning really stiff but had good sleep. Couple stretching exercises and good to go."

THERDP (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2016

"This can be a life-changer. I'm 22 and had gotten a concussion back in Nov. I was in bed every day for over 2 months, told to avoid ALL stimulation, lost a few lbs, hit with multiple migraines per day. My doc prescribed amitriptyline & within a few days of starting, I was easing back out of the dark and into the light (metaphorically and literally).This med gave me my life back and now I'm able to graduate on-time which was threatened then. Sympt: little more constipation than my usual, dry mouth, a dampened libido... they're all not bad sacrifices for me. Also, I've been aura-migraine-free since this medicine too! My aunt has been on it for almost 30 yrs and it's helped her chronic migraines as well. She's about 55 I think. Consider it!!!"

Violetrose1130 March 12, 2016

"I had suffered for 3 months with sciatica and chronic, paralysing back pain. I had diazepam, temegesic, naproxem, solpadol, omeprazale, for pain relief , all across the 3 months and nothing worked. I went to the physio (on crutches) and he assessed me, and couldn't do anything due to the inability to move much. He mentioned trying Amitriptyline to address the nerve inflammation. I went to the doctor and started on low dose of 10mg x 2 per night. After 3 nights I was able to stand, walk, sit - basically was back to 80%, I still have sciatic ache in my leg but it has literally changed my quality of life. I have been on them a week, but it is allowing me to stretch and do some physio now. Yes to the dry mouth, but try it out."

Gazza100 (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took 25mg of this drug for 20 years after being diagnosed with 7 different auto immune diseases including lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. I went off it last May, due to increased irritability. My symptoms all returned from the diseases....burning feet and toes, pain in knees and hips and back and shoulders... so I started back on my 25mg. The first night I slept through the whole night..first time in months. I'm on day 5 and still have the hung over feeling 24/7, but nothing hurts. My whole body has a tingling sensation which is much more tolerable than pain. However my appetite has doubled, which is a huge worry as weight gain equals more pain in the joints. But I'll take having to watch my food intake over pain anyday"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2016

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Very good"

Addd February 10, 2016

"I have been taking amitriptyline on and off for over three years after a serious road accident, where my pelvis was crushed and I suffered major nerve damage. It really really works, but I am trying to get off it permanently because of the side effects. It helps with pain and sleep, which are my two biggest complaints, but the side effects of constipation, dry mouth and a weight gain of 50 pounds (from 120 to 170) are really quite terrible, especially when taken in connection with other side effect causing drugs. I would be very careful about taking this drug. It's very important to weigh the costs vs benefits. Since I was a trauma patient, I didn't have much choice in the matter and I am still living with the consequences."

Orthopatient January 23, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Very good for nerve pain, helps with sleep but are slightly groggy in the morning."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

"My 11.5yr old is on 20mg of amitriptyline at bedtime for peripheral neuropathic pain in the ball of her foot. We started on 10mg and had no effect after 1month on sleep or pain levels. 20mg has reduced pain by 15% and increased her sleep. (only waking once a night instead of 3 times). Pain levels are still at 6.5/10 on her scale (we she has a high pain threshold as she has broken her wrist a couple of times). She is a well build 11yrs old and not experiencing any side effects. Our consultants are anti-medication so not keen on her taking any dose. Does anyone have any guidance on dose rate - From what I have read, we could easily up her to 25/30mg and see whether this has any further effect....clearly the 20mg is doing something?"

kolly (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016