User Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Pain

Amitriptyline has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 206 ratings for the treatment of Pain. 72% of those users who reviewed Amitriptyline reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1314 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

34% 70
1% 2
11% 22

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Prowler6b · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2021

Elavil (amitriptyline): “Was prescribed Elavil for sciatica pain that affected me painfully several times a night, waking me from sleep. Took 10mg dose at night for three days and had no pain from the first night. However, I read it interacts with Sotalol that I take for heart rhythm. So disappointed that I Had to stop Eavil.”

Night Owl · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2020

Endep (amitriptyline): “Endep worked for pain 100% but put me in a mental ward Destroyed my life Get tested to see if you are, allergic to amitripyline first It was very dangerous for me I only had 13 tablets”

Skip · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2020

Endep (amitriptyline): “Endep gave me the worst side effects I've ever had from a medication. I was like a zombie and I was only taking 5mg. Would never take it again. It also made my pain worse”

Joan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 16, 2020

Elavil (amitriptyline): “My doctor prescribed this drug to treat my severe, chronic migraines. It was a horrible experience. I had vivid nightmares every night and stopped caring about anything. It felt like I was in a fog half the time.”

Niviuq · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2020

“I took amitriptyline for bladder pain, during 2 months and a half and my dose was 20mg a day. It's was the worst experience of my life. This drug gave me hallucinations at night. I experienced stiffness in my muscles, dryness in my throat and nose till the point I couldn't breathing well, my nose became very sensitive to cold or hot weather. I had numbing in my limbs, automatic muscle contradictions, hives, nausea, dizziness. The adverse effects didn't go away completely, today after almost 2 years off this medication, my breathing is not right, the medication caused me permanent damage in my nasal mucosa , it's completely dry and now an internist doctor is trying to reverse the damage, he told me was caused by this drug and he said it a terrible drug with a lot of side effects and that is why is rarely in use in Spain, I was prescribed amitriptyline in the UK). It also caused dementia in the long term, said by university of HARVARD.”

Lisa January 10, 2020

“I've been taking this Amitriptyline for over 15 years 100 mgs. I've been off my prescription for 5 days and the withdrawals are terrible. I've been waiting on my approval for refill but after the withdrawals I just went through I don't think I want to get back on it. It has helped with my chronic pain and I've gained 60 pounds from taking this med.”

Rog · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2020

“I do not feel any different after two months taking 25mg at bedtime...”

Afranklin · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2019

Endep (amitriptyline): “I was prescribed Endep for severe Endometriosis. I was very hesitant with it being used as an anti-depressant in some cases, however I must say it works wonderfully. I have been able to go back to work and get on with my life, I do still have outbursts occasionally but it sure beats living on endone in agony! It is a little harder for me to get out of bed in the mornings although I am fine once up. I sleep better and seem happier, of course with the reduced pain. I haven't lost weight drastically or had any fevers or chills as others prescribed. So far very happy. I am 4 weeks in.”

snoopy · Taken for 10 years or more December 2, 2019

“I've been taking Amitriptyline for 10 years plus for severe neuropathic pain, increasing the dosage to 200mgs as the pain increased. It has really helped with the pain relief. Although I started on a relatively small dose of 25mgs, I felt totally spaced out and sedated. It took my body a few weeks to get used to taking it. I do experience constipation and a dry mouth but it's better than severe pain.”

soulhler · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 20, 2019

“Have severe pain all over from fibromyalgia and burning pain in my feet and legs due to diabetic neuropathy. Pain level was up to nine. I have been on 25mg of amitriptyline for two months. Takes the edge off the pain and I can sleep. Side effects are dry mouth somewhat tired during the day. Extremely tired by 8pm. Not much of an appetite, but I do crave sweets.”

Deedeejay · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

“I took one 10mg tab before bed as prescribed by my doctor to help with pain and rather than sending me to sleep I started feeling strange burning and tingling in my arms and legs, heart was pounding, agitation was high, very negative thoughts. For several days after I had almost manic energy levels, very thirsty, and pretty much no sleep for a week. I was jittery and shaky, feeling wired and anxious. Physio massage on my neck and shoulders several times during the week helped a lot to unlock tight muscles plus have tried all the usual sleep support supplements, tart cherry, Mg, camomile tea.... but still struggle to get to sleep or have more than 2 hours at a time. Imovane (Zopiclone - sleeping pills) worked a bit but don’t want to take it every night in case of addiction.”

Hayley October 5, 2019

Endep (amitriptyline): “I am 37 years old I started getting headaches at 13 from what I can remember I went on day to day year after year when I was 26 I was put in hospital with all the drugs Well I was getting headaches monthly bad ones I couldn’t even handle light As the years went on I got them once every 6 months putting me in hospital Then they started coming on every couple of months then once a month all the way down to 3 a week By this stage my face was numb I couldn’t talk or walk could not have any light, losing memory about 3 months ago I went to a brilliant doctor and I couldn’t see so I needed help going there and walking to him He said to me have you heard of ENDEP I have taken my endep every night since for over 3 months now And only had two very very small headaches I’ve been given a second chance at life I’m very grateful I thank my doctor so very much”

PL · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 15, 2019

“Can anyone relate to this? I had two years of problems which ended in 2015. No more dizziness or headaches after I started taking this drug. I came off it four months ago. On Monday, I had a sensation in my head when I blew my nose, lasted about two minutes. I've had headaches ever since, tried to play football yesterday no chance. Dreading I'm back to square one?”

Niviuk · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 11, 2019

“Horrible drugs, caused me paresthesias that don't go away after more than one year of discontinuation and I took this drug just for less than 3 months. Apart from that I experienced horrible side effects and very long withdrawal symptoms. I never recommend to anyone.”

Skywalker · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2019

“I have been using this amitript medicine for 3 weeks now, for my chronic migraines attack and allodynia, so far improvement is 4/10. Doctor prescribed me for one month, hopefully I will get the recover I need.”

Lizzy · Taken for 10 years or more July 14, 2019

“I have been on 50mg a night for 18yrs. I suffered nerve damage to my forehead after a head injury and would suffer from chronic headaches which were so bad I had to go to a dark room and try to sleep as no amount of pain killers would help. Eventually nerve damage was diagnosed and I was put on amitriptyline. It is a life changer for me. No more headaches and I can enjoy life again.”

Eeds · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 6, 2019

“Started taking this drug at 10mg for neuropathic pain from cervical stenosis. Little to no effect. Increased to 45mg. Excellent pain effect but breasts enlarged so much, super sensitive like when I was breastfeeding. Stomach bloated to the point where I had to recline to get comfortable. Pain upper right abdomen. Stopped taking it and within days breasts were back to normal and stomach so much better. Will have to live with the pain as side effects too debilitating.”

Nlil · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

Elavil (amitriptyline): “Was prescribed a low doses for my IBS related pain. It did help my stomach but suffered badly with the side effects. Would take at night before bed but in the the daytime I’d experience shakes, anxiety, had severe trouble focussing and could barely string sentences together so stopped taking it two days ago. Still suffering bad shakes and difficulty concentrating. Be very careful with it.”

Happier · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2019

“I had exhaustion, roving pains, burning eyes, and tummy troubles for 5 months and it was starting to interfere with my daily life. We did blood work and ultrasounds but nothing showed. The Dr. decided to try Amitriptyline. The first few days I experienced dry mouth and random prickly sensations. That went away and I was left with slight constipation, and a near constant craving sensation, BUT... I am 3 weeks into it now and even though I'm not exactly back to 'normal', I do have a happier outlook, more of my playful self, and I'm kinda.. "detached" from my pain. I dream more, but sleep more soundly. I do feel it 'hit' me about half an hour after I take it but it's not enough of an effect to knock me out or anything though. Overall, I am very happy with the results so far. I take 10mg between 8 and 9 pm (any later and it's a bit too hard to wake up in the morning). I'm very happy we tried this and I'm hopeful that it will continue to improve my daily life.”

Maher · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2019

“I've been taking amitriptyline 10mg for two weeks now for peripheral neuropathy. I initially had side effects of dry mouth, constipation, heavy chest, muscle weakness, swollen tongue and mouth and was so anxious for a few days but its all passed now and I am feeling a lot better. I still have some flare ups but I also have radiation induced cystitis. It has also helped with bladder pain and my jaw clenching. Hopefully after the next couple of months I have even more benefits. I'm extremely sensitive when it comes to medications so I'm glad I stuck with it, even though I was so hesitant at first.”

Jax103 · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2019

“I was given this for my neuropathy in the foot and I also use a 50 mcg fentanyl patch. Two doctors in the same group, one a GP and one an orthopedic surgeon Rx me 25mg at night for burning feet. Within two weeks I was in the ER with a life threatening condition known as serotonin syndrome.”

Niks · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2019

“I suffer from vestibular migraines. After a hospital referral my consultant prescribed me 10mg Amytriptyline. I took it a few hours before bedtime, as recommended. One hour after taking it I became restless, irritable. It took me a few hours to settle before I finally fell into a deep sleep. The next morning I felt groggy, hungover, light headed and generally yuck. Being a slight build (petite) and being very sensitive to any medication! I knew 10mg was too much for me. So the following night I halved the dose (bit one tablet into two). I personally feel this is more manageable to cope with as a starting point. Once my body is used to it I'll up the dose to a full tablet (10mg). I can't imagine many people being as sensitive as me but I highly recommend halving the dose to start with if you are. And yes, with amitriptyline I'm migraine free. Awful dry mouth but the benefits far outweighs a dry mouth!”

Yorkshirelass · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2019

“I started taking amitriptyline 10mg on 1st Jan 2019, initially I slept 12 hours a night had weird dreams and was groggy and a little dizzy, this passed though after a couple of months. I have now been on it 4 months and still sleeping well, it helps with pain and has helped with menopause and watery eyes too. Initially I put on about 8lbs but now I am losing it again as feel so much better and have lots of energy. My only regret is I didn’t start taking it 10 years ago. My advice persevere as you get used to it and it will help.”

Genny March 27, 2019

“I would say this tablet is multi purpose and very useful. I would suggest people who face side effects of this tablet to undergo a 4 month course in homeopathy from any good Homeopath. Then you will find this drug giving its best effects without much side effects and very flexible in usage.”

Steven March 25, 2019

“Horrible. Non stop shaking, lightheaded and dizzy. Sometimes it goes away and an hour later it comes back. I’ve had a terrible experience and even went to the ER. Keep in mind I only took it for 3 days.”