User Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Vulvodynia

Amitriptyline has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of Vulvodynia. 56% of those users who reviewed Amitriptyline reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Vulvodynia.

Reviews for Amitriptyline

rustymusket March 3, 2021

“My bride and I were both hospital-based clinicians. She had chronic vaginal infections and treated without resolution. She registered for evaluation in a specialized GYN clinic in the mid- 80's and was diagnosed with vulvodynia. The cause was lifting patients and strain to her body. Symptoms were vaginal pain and discharge. Therapy was initiated with amitriptyline in a titratable dosage. With symptoms, increase amit.. maint. dosage by 10mg x 5-7 nights, then an additional 10mg amit. x 5-7 nights until relief. Then maintain her regimen x 10 nights, and then lower amit dose down in same fashion to establish new maint dose She was able to decrease amit. therapy 1 year later. In 2015, symptoms returned . She was told by nurse that: 1) she was too old, 2) insurance would not pay, and 3) my bride knew more about vulvodynia than nurse! My bride continued to maintain a set nightly amitriptyline dosage.”

Snowy · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 14, 2021

“I was diagnosed with vulvodynia after taking 3 courses of antibiotics for a urine infection, horrendous nerve pain for 3 months, I was prescribed amitriptyline one 10mg before bed and I woke up the next day and the nerve endings had dampened and the pain had pretty much gone. I’m still on it 4 years later as I was told if you come off it and the pain starts up again, it does not always work second time around, so I am on them for life now.”

Marie July 31, 2019

“I started with a 10mg dose of amitript and then slowly worked my way up to 35mg over a period of about 2 months. I found that the 10mg dose didn't do much for pain but helped with my insomnia and sleep issues, at 20mg my pain was reduced and at 35mg the nerve pain is completely gone. Initially I was scared of the side effects like weight gain, but because this drug helps with insomnia, I'm getting better sleep and am now more active and have lost about 8lbs over a period of 4 months. I know there's quite a few medication options for nerve pain, but this seems to be the most affordable. Lyrica isn't covered by my insurance anymore and would cost me $350 a month, amitriptyline is covered but if I did have to pay out of pocket it would only be $20 monthly.”

Slinky · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2018

“I started on amitriptyline 4 weeks ago firstly on 10 mg which didn’t help at all, I still had the pain & burning which was excruciating. Upped to 20 mg and still no relief a week later the pain was still present . Then upped to 30mg ,40mg and now 50 mg a night which has eliminated all my pain . It does take up to 6 weeks to really work so be patient . Hard I know to tolerate the pain but it helped me . Had a dry mouth initially & sleepy at first but now don’t get any side effect .”

Bojo · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2018

“Amitriptyline was the best thing for my pain . Took 4 days to start working . I started on 10mg and now taking 20 mg at night . Had no side effects at all. This medication saved my life after 5 months of 3 doctors,1 dermatogist & 3 gynos to figure out what was causing this pain . Would highly recommend Amitriphtyline for vulvodynia .”

celine · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 29, 2019

“Amitriptyline has worked the best for my vulvodynia compared to gabapentin, nortriptyline and venlafaxine. The side effects from the others were intolerable. Unfortunately amitriptyline causes bowel urgency and diarrhea for me but on 10 mg I can manage it with dietary changes. This drug allows me to sit and walk with less pain and offers about 40% overall pain relief so it’s worth it! It also helps with sleep disruption and mood.”

minx10 March 18, 2016

“On Dec 2015 I had excruciating cutting burning vaginal pain. Along with frequent urgency to go urinate , all the test under the sun was done but all came back negative and after 2 months of tests my urogynocologist said its volvodaneia. He prescribed Amitriptyline . I was very skeptical about this. .then finally I started with 5 mg for my body to get used it.Then 1 week after I did 10 mg...and after 10 days I went to 15 mg...that did the trick no more paib but then I amped it to 20 mg. I never thought I will be able to have normal life again but this med saved my life.In this 6 weeks of taking Amitriptyline I had few days of pain of level 2 .but rest days so far ok.no pain !! I have been told to take this med for3months.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 11, 2018

“I’ve been on amytriptyline on and off for several years. I take only 5mg at night and have had such significant relief from many of my issues. My anxiety is much better and my chronic lower back pain from a ruptured disc is so much better. I also have vulvadynia and have had significant relief from that as well. I think this drug is under prescribed because it’s old and the drug reps aren’t pushing it. But is is well studied and very safe. I have no real side effects on 5mg but on 10mg I do get dry mouth and fatigue. I highly recommend trying amytriptyline!”

blue-sky · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2018

“Worked on the vulvar pain right away but the side effects at 5mg were unbearable. I took 1/2 of the lowest dose and could not tolerate the medicine. Feel asleep for 12 hours within 2 hours of taking this medicine. Then woke up and had racing heartbeat for the next 8 hours. It was scary. Called Dr. contemplated going to ER but heart settled down by 3pm the next day. NOT worth it at all. Switched to Vaginal Estrogen and Vaginal valium and problem solved. Local therapy is always better than systemic.”

TS0824 July 22, 2015

“This was the first medication I was prescribed once I was finally diagnosed with vulvodynia. I have experienced a tremendous improvement after two weeks of taking this medication. I was originally started on 10 mg with no relief after 2 months of use. My doctor increased it to 50 mg last month which has really worked. My personal regimen includes 50 mg amitriptyline at bedtime, Estrace topical, B complex vitamin and alpha lipoic acid. My pain went from a 7 to 2 in a matter of two weeks. It makes me constipated, so use fiber supplements daily. I was very drowsy initially, but you will adjust in a few days. Exercise and a healthy diet has greatly decreased the side affects (sleepiness, weight gain, constipation) associated with this drug.”

Anonymous May 19, 2011

“I have been taking 10mg for about a month and it had almost completely eliminated the pain. Within 2 days of my first dose, I had relief. At 10mg the only side effects I've had were dry mouth and mild sleepiness, but only at night, and in the early morning. I imagine if I were on a higher dose I might have more side effects. I occasionally will get a twinge of pain, here and there, but mostly I've been pain free.”

BRAGS May 11, 2013

Elavil (amitriptyline): “Use of Elavil has not lessened the pain associated with vulvodynia (or nerve ending pain), but it seems I can tolerate it more. But I notice that my throat gets very dry and my voice is hoarse. Also I have been diagnosed with dry eye, and I do feel that is caused by the Elavil (along with dry mouth and throat).”

Anonymous January 23, 2011

Elavil (amitriptyline): “Amitriptyline made a huge difference to my daily life in terms of pain relief from Vulvodynia, but it has many side effects. I stuck to a low level 25mg and had to wiegh up benefits vs side-effects. Changed to Nortriptyline and had the same benefits but less side-effects. Now take 30mg of Nortriptyline.”

Ann · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2019

“Started amitriptyline 25mg about a month ago (for vulvodynia). It makes me sleepy and I have dry mouth. It masks the pain and urgency to pee but the underlying condition still remains as when I only took 20mg one night the pain and urgency to pee came back.”

lelo13 · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2013

“I have been on this for 3 days now and it has helped tremendously. Felt very lethargic the 1st 2 days and dizzy but much better today. Taking 25mg twice daily. Also have neurological pain in mouth. Still have slight pain but nothing like it was.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2018

“Was on both oral tablets and cream at two different times: Once separate and once together. They did not decrease my pain in either case, and instead caused a slew of side effects. I didn't realize how many until I was off it.”

mxo180 October 9, 2010

Elavil (amitriptyline): “Big help for vulvodynia.”

ChPep4 · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2018

“I was very hopeful this would solve my vulvodynia pain, but had terrible headaches, stomach aches and acid reflux on 5, 10 and 20 mg. I decided to go off. Will now try gabapentin.”

Anonymous December 9, 2010

Elavil (amitriptyline): “Awesome pain inhibitor for this condition but I had too many side effects like heart palpitations and hair loss.”

Anonymous January 4, 2011

Elavil (amitriptyline): “Elavil really worked for the vulvadynia discomfort. Unfortunately, it also made me super anxious and shaky, and I just couldn't tolerate it.”

Learn more about Vulvodynia