User Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Anxiety and Stress

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Amitriptyline

LJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2020

"As I increased my dose (very slowly) from 10 to 40mg I found my heart rate and blood pressure increased a lot. Yet I was also like a zombie. As I already have a heart condition the increased heart rate made that worse, so I had to wean myself back off it. Oh well, try something else for the pains I guess.."

Jimbo · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2020

"I’ve been on this amitriptyline for about 6 months - @ a dose of 25mg (anxiety and stress). Ever since starting it my heart rate has gone up to tachycardic levels and also my bp is up. So now I’m on bp meds, and may have to take a beta blocker for my heart rate! Has anyone else had these symptoms?"

Dubbs · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2020

"I was prescribed 20 mg amitriptyline for sleep stress and anxiety and within two days of taking it I found I sleep deeply wake happy and have not got the anxiety I had before. I still have a few seconds of what if thinking but then it passes. I have ehlers danlos and fibro and M. E and this is the best drug I've tried."

Silvalady February 11, 2020

"I was prescribed 25mg amitriptyline, taken before bed, to help with my overwhelmed and excessive stress feelings so I could manage the work/school/single mom/recent divorce life easier. For the first couple months, things were great. I was productive, so much less overwhelmed and stressed, I was less anxious about my crazy ex, and I could keep up with everything I was doing. The help in getting to sleep was an added bonus. However, after the first couple months, the paranoia started creeping in. At first, I thought someone was outside my house at night. Then, I was convinced cars behind me on the road were following me. I was checking under my bed, I'm my closet, in my bathroom, and every nook and cranny for someone hiding in there, thinking someone was going to get me. After a month of this increasing paranoia, I tapered down my dose and got off of it. The paranoia outweighed the benefits."

Nikki January 24, 2020

"My 8 year old son has social issues and uses aggression and anger to express himself. After 12 months of tests with a Paediatric doctor we have found out my son has mild case of ADHD. He doesn’t eat either all his foods are white (pasta, bread, chips and nuggets) my doctor prescribed me this medication on the 7th Jan only 10mg a day. I haven’t seen a difference yet. How long does it take to start working. Only thing he wakes up happy not angry like before"

UG · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2020

"I was skeptical about using Amitriptyline after I read about it online but I later go to find out I didn’t really read about it properly after my doctor prescribed it for treating my tension headaches and anxiety, I must say the drug has been amazing at even low doses of 10mg or lesser, but it makes me feel so sleepy even after I wake up for work but if I let it take it course for a long sleep I feel so great and my tension headaches are gone just after a week of taking it.."

Kcouston90 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 7, 2020

"I’m on 150mg amitriptyline a night. Never had an issue. Take them at 7pm go to bed 9/10 don’t wake up groggy and still drive to work the next day. Taking them one night and expecting some amazing cure is a complete joke. Every drug takes time to work."

TOFLA December 1, 2019

Elavil (amitriptyline): "This drug has been so helpful, I suffered for panic attack, social phobia and anxiety for over 15 years, I started amitriptyline 7 weeks ago and my life has since changed, I can express myself in public, no more panic attack nor anxiety. I really thank my GOD and appreciate this platform which is so encouraging. I should also say that I got inspired from other people who were sharing their experiences on this platform. I'll definitely rate this drug 10/10. No side effects. I an so thankful"

Funshy · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

"Amytriptyline is like a life saver, after taking all kinds of antidepressants, my doctor prescribed this ń it has been good, I love it"

Figgs95 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 20, 2019

"I have been taking low dose (10-20mg) of amitriptyline at night right before bed for the past 8 months & it has worked amazingly well for me and my stress / anxiety. Was originally prescribed this for nerve pain in the throat due to LPR/acid reflux symptoms such as constantly clearing my throat & hoarseness. It has worked great for this as my throat pain is down 90% after only 8 months. These symptoms in turn caused me anxiety & depression and the medicine also helped tremendously with that as well. I get a great sleep every night and the only real side effects worth noting would be dry mouth so make sure you use a good mouthwash such as therabreath drymouth. Tiredness at times and weird dreams sometimes but that just may be me. I highly recommend trying 10mg before bed if you have any of these symptoms and move up to 20mg after a week if you find it really helps you."

Maria · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2019

"I was able to function after taking Elavil. I was no longer totally stressed out at work. I only took it for 6 months but it basically trained my mind to relax and just be normal."

katie123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2019

"So I've struggled with severe anxiety and depression for the majority of my teens/young adult years. During my first year of university however, I experienced severe anxiety to a point where I spent all of my time in my bedroom, even going to the coffee shop next to my house was too hard. I decided to go to my doctor and then she prescribed me fluoxetine (prozac) 20 mg. I experienced minor relief in my anxiety and extreme depression and suicidal thoughts. I was on that medication for 3 months when I finally decided to stop. My doctor switched me to amitriptyline and during the first week or two I felt no benefits and was constantly groggy. Then, during the first week, I started feeling not only huge relief in my anxiety but I no longer felt depressed!! I am able to live my life, go out with friends, spend time with family, do well at work and SO MUCH MORE. Best medication hands down. Give it a couple weeks, you won't regret it."

Lee · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 24, 2019

"I've been taking these meds for over a year and it has done wonders for me. I've tried other medications for anxiety and depression but none of them worked and most just made my depression worse and did nothing for my anxiety so I stopped trying meds for that for a while. My doctor originally prescribed amitriptyline for insomnia but was hopeful it'd help with anxiety too. I have never slept better in my life and it's reduced my anxiety a miraculous amount. The first few days taking it made me feel awful and I was out of it the whole time but after that it only got better. I tried going off it after a year but the anxiety was unbearable and I got little to no sleep so I'm back on it. Only side effect is that my heartbeat is faster than normal, especially at night but not to a degree where it's unbearable."

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2019

"I don’t recommend this drug to anyone! I’ve been on it for almost 3 weeks now and I feel more anxious and easily irritated/aggressive towards others 24-7! I have had severe heart palpitations and anxiety, hot flashes, chest tightness, dizziness and fatigue. I’m 35 years old and this medication is horrible!"

Wazza July 12, 2019

"I've had every anti depressant and I wasn't getting any relief at all, my grandma was a nurse and she had had the same problem with anxiety stress/sleep. She told me she found amitriptyline had been the only one that gave her any relief. I got them and on a week on them, one 25mg at lunch and one 25mg before bed. They help with sleep enormously and helped my anxiety, it did not take it away but they worked better than anything I'd previously had, I think the combination of actually being able to get to sleep without lying thinking them random thoughts and not waking up every hour certainly helped. I went to the GP after a week and he prescribed me a bigger dose of 25mg at a lunch and 75mg at night. Also I was on propranolol which helped when my heart was racing, I had 20 mg of those twice per day and they both made a difference."

Ben July 3, 2019

"The best drug for anxiety..depression and insomnia. Give it a couple of weeks to start working. Been depressed and got extreme anxiety and insomnia...all gone after 4 weeks. Feel like me again !!"

Boz · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 30, 2019

"This is the only antidepressant that works for me. Have tried SSRI but couldn’t sleep. This one gives you a good sleep and calms me down. I take 10 mg before bed."

Bjstrick · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2019

"I was prescribed amitriptyline 2 days ago for insomnia, night sweats, headache, anxiety and depression. Thinking that the cause of my symptoms was due to anxiety during the night. My doctor started me on 75mg at bedtime. After reading most of these reviews, most doctors start at 10mg. I literally have been high as a kite for 2 days now. I am just glad I decided to try it over the weekend bc there is absolutely no way that I can work, drive a car or even communicate with another human being. My mouth is dry, I'm shaking, I'm paranoid, groggy and just completely out of it. The only good thing I can say about this medication is that I slept through the night for the first time in 10yrs. I would rather go without sleep then to feel this way ever again."

Gwen · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 20, 2019

"I took amitriptyline for a year back in 2016. It did wonders for my anxiety, insomnia and nerve pain. I stopped taking it because I had gained 30 pounds in that year and I was afraid that I would just keep gaining. Over the last 3 years I have tried medical marijuana, prozac, nortriptyline, zoloft, CBT, residential treatment and more to try and treat my anxiety and C-PTSD. Nothing helped and the SSRIs caused severe side effects. Last week I decided to go back on the amitriptyline. The morning after I took my 1st 10mg dose I already felt calmer. My mood is better, my anxiety is better and I am sleeping well. I just bumped up to 20mg last night. Other than a bit of grogginess for a day or two after each dosage bump and a slow creep of my weight I don't have any side effects from this medication. I plan on watching my nutrition and getting more exercise this time around. I'm thankful I'm back on the only meds that have ever worked for me."

Qtip · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2019

"This is the worst. I took 25 mg last night and it has ruined my day. I can't move around. My arms feel heavy and I have had to lie down 5 times today. Why is my doctor prescribing this medicine to me for situational anxiety?"

Jenn · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2019

"Switched to 25 mg amitriptyline from 60 mg of cymbalta. Was told to overlap for one week and have now taken the amitrip for exactly one week. Initially thought the deep sleep from it was amazing. Couldn't remember the last time I have slept that deeply and had such vivid dreams that I could (too clearly) remember. I kind of liked the "emotional numbness" I got from it. However the next day I would be so exhausted and out of it. At times I had to remind myself where I was and often struggled to find the words to form a complete sentence. I ate like I had the munchies( like I had just smoked weed). I also became quite paranoid that most people were out to get me. I definitely am stopping this drug as of tonight after becoming more teary-emotional, angry and overwhelmed than I could tolerate. The cymbalta is now looking very appealing."

Sleepybear April 29, 2019

"Was prescribed 5mg every night which would help my anxiety and a reduction in migraine which caused me to have dizziness. One week after it greatly helped in my migraines. However stopped due to having twitches in thumb. Not sure if the trade is worth it. But it helps in your sleep and migraines."

Lorenzo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 2, 2019

"I've had horrendous panic attacks, anxiety and depression, this Amitriptyline has stopped the panics within 2 weeks and the anxiety and depression is better. At least I'm functional now. I tried lots of SSRIs and they made me worse and made me gain lots of weight. Amitriptyline is the only antidepressant that ever helped me. I'll swear by it for the rest of my life. I am on a maintenance dose of 25mg per day and the difference is almost miraculous."

Meemo · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2019

"I was prescribed amitript 10mg/day for anxiety. Previous SSRIs had left me with constant shakes and sleep deprived. Amitriptyline did help with was my neck pain and my sleep pattern returned to normal which was great. Unfortunately even at the lowest dose of 10mgs I was unable to function. I felt like a zombie and my coordination was shot to pieces and I was breathless doing the smallest of physical activities. I cut to 5mgs because the pain relief to my neck was such a boon, but the negative side effects were still to great to continue a normal life. Shaking, woolly headed, forgetful and still an underlying anxiety that erupted over the smallest of issues. Useless for my anxiety because of my sensitivity to the drug, but great for pain relief. I tried it for 4 weeks before being switched to a beta blocker."

yeetlol February 5, 2019

"this has been a life saver so far for me! i am currently on 10mg and it has made such an improvement with my anxiety and sleep problems! i used to get terrible anxiety in class and other social situations which triggered terrible stomach aches, both of which have nearly gone because of this drug, i have severe anxiety so i know this drug won’t fully help the anxiety due to the fact that it is supposed to help mild anxiety but believe me it does do wonders!, i was very unsure about taking it at first (bc i was worried it wouldn’t do anything, that’s the anxiety speaking) but in order for it to help you must put your faith in it and it will help!"