User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I have troubles with Anxiety and insomnia for years I've been on different types of medicine and some of them helped but I just went to my doctor On 8/15 and He put me on Amitripyline 50 mg so I take that night and I must say that's the best sleep I've had in a long time , I woke up feeling good I had plenty of energy and my mood was totally different I have 28 employees and sometimes it can be VERY stressful but I went to work feeling GREAT and I've only took 1 pill so far !!!! I'm looking forward to a new me since ❤️"

Chinadol65 (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Started 25mg for crippling panic attacks !! Had them for 6-7 months without even any relief from xanax ... first and only med that has worked for me without side effects ! Couldn't even take an SSRI felt so sick from them .. 25mg saved my life !"

Thanking meds (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this drug for low back pain and anxiety. I stayed on for two weeks at only 10mg before night. It does help you sleep and does prevent migraines, without a doubt. However, I woke up with a lot of pain in my upper back and chest from muscle spasms I guess. Every night. And you can't drink alcohol at all unless it's late at night after the drug wears off. Oh, and it doesn't help with anxiety or panic attacks at all."

Panicked Peter (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Today I am on 100mg of Elavil and it is working quite well. Best of all, Elavil has the added bonus of curbing my neuropathy which had forced me to be on fentanyl for over 4 years. Been about eight years now and it is still doing a great job. I have been on just about every drug they have for panic and other than Prozac this is one of the only drugs that has worked or worked without nasty side effects. paxil worked but TOTALLY wiped out my sex drive and ability to perform. Zoloft did nothing at all good or bad. Alcohol was good at knocking down the panic attacks but the bad there was the attacks became more frequent. Imipramine only masked the symptoms causing some nasty muscle tension that lead to migraines."

13crocs (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Miracle drug suffered for many years with depression and stress since prescribed I love a normal life again."

Waymagg June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Why wasn't I given this medication long ago. Works great for me don't have one little bit of anxiety anymore except when I forget to take it lol it's helped me a lot I do more exercise can get out more and enjoy life and I'm not stuck at home anymore being anxious about things hope this helps other people with the same problem."

Inked75 June 20, 2017

"It helps tremendously"

Hellenawatson coss June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm always super nervous about taking new meds. So before I do, I always check up online to see other's experience with it. I saw a lot of really negative stuff about amitriptyline. I have to say, I was happily surprised with the outcome. I get really good, heavy sleep and even after the first dose I noticed less anxiety and a happier mood, which is only getting better day by day. This med, along with yoga, lots of meditation, calming teas, and a healthy diet can truly go a long way if you're sincerely dedicated. 10/10 from me. Good luck!"

Miriamislame May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have always suffered tiredness depression whenever I didn't get a good night's sleep. I was sent to a specialist re an unrelated matter with chronic sinusitis. He said he diagnosed myofascial disorder and prescribed Endep 10g and I couldn't believe the difference. No more waking up in a haze and feeling anxious. I have since had a difficult marriage break up to deal with and increased the dose to 25mg. I don't know how I would have coped without this drug. I hope to get back to the 10mg once I have my life back once settlement is done and I move on."

avian April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Elavil, good drug but am starting to depend on it... started with 12.5mg, within few months I was off it... However, I had a relapse after 5 months of abruptly tapering off, which was terrible, like I was going to pass out in minutes. Now, I am on 100mg but it seems I need to increase the dosage because I have a hodgepodge of headaches and balance issues.. Sleep as been wonderful regardless of mentioned symptoms... Is this feeling normal and will I need to increase it...????"

Dotunoyedele (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"As someone who has suffered horrendously crippling severe anxiety/depression for over 20 years. I tried every other depression & anxiety on the market before this. I wish I'd been given it years ago instead of the newer ones. Amitriptyline at a dose of 10mg at night has been a total God send, & a life saver to me. Finally I can sleep at night & get a full nights sleep able to switch off from excessive anxiety & worrying through the night. I do feel excessively tired the next day & would definitely struggle to work on these at the mo but that might be because I'm also on Natrexone 50mg also at night both known to cause tiredness when taken on their own but finally I have some peace from severe anxiety & my mood has lifted even if by little."

Lightbulb150 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been dealing with major depressive disorder, severe anxiety, OCD, PTSD, and manic depression since I was a teen (now 41) due to extreme childhood trauma. I have also had substance abuse/self-medication issues for these same reasons for over 20 years now. Clean and sober, my insomnia and anxiety was so severe that I would get about 2-3 hrs of sleep naturally at night or with weed (also stopped...) Finally could not stand it anymore as I was getting to the point that was was having bad thoughts about not wanting to be here anymore.. I'm an accountant who is a single mother with a special needs 3 year old and works over 50 hours per week, so, my stress is about as high as it can get. I LOVE THIS MED. HAVE NEVER FELT BETTER."

Diggerton March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "For many years I was very resistant to taking medications for my anxiety because I watched my mother who is bipolar try many types of medications without success. My anxiety was constant: racing thoughts, hypochondria, worry about my kids, etc. The stress was actually causing me physical pain. I was even tense in my sleep and woke up every morning feeling like I had been in a fight. Elavil was life changing. I started out at 10mg and was bumped up to 25mg after a couple of weeks. The only side effects that I experience are drowsiness (you take it at night, so no big deal) and sometimes weird dreams. I am so at ease these days. I no longer have any stress-related pain. My quality of life has been vastly improved."

M. Bear February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking this medicine is like taking speed ? Totally shaking and can't sleep heart racing and just plain miserable? Don't get it "

Beenpole24 February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started for sleep. No difference with headache help at 25mg, felt groggy, cut back to 10. Never noticed much help with sleep, unless I took a flexeril too. Back to 25 no difference, except I can't go to sleep if I don't take it. There is a rebound sleep effect, with sleep cycles, so up in panic after a few hours. Because of a wave of awfulness, had severe illness, facing complete financial ruin at late an age to do much about it, and more, Now severe night panic. I was ok with Xanax .5mg 1 or 2 when this occurred, lately a lot. New doc says no more benzo, gave RX for SSRI. I read the ami works same, but more side effects. Wonder if it is adding to panic. Also have heart condition, might not be good. Feel awful. Pretty worthless to take it."

HopingforPeace February 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I too have always been anti medication. I've had extreme panic attacks for decades. I managed to get my panic in order on my own to a degree, but due to high stress at work for a long period, it came back in the form of hypercondria. I have invented almost every illness and was spending thousands on tests to put my mind at ease. I started getting shooting pains all over like nerve pain. I thought it was MS, but mri said otherwise. Doc put me on these for the pain, but secretly think she wanted to try and medicate me for anxiety, which i always refused. Give it a few months people. Im only on 10 - 20 mg a night, but after these months gone past, I've noticed I'm no longer obsessing on irrational thoughts. Good luck!"

Tobes-Aus (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Try one of the newer meds out there first. GP prescribed me this for anxiety and I blindly took it thinking doc knows best, went to a Pdoc a few months later and she was mortified that I was prescribed this. I have been weaning off since and finally at 0mgs for past few days, but all the weaning side effects have been terrible. I feel nauseous all day and cannot sleep at all, and have chest pains,with constantly feeling in a fog. Do yourself a favor and trust how far medicine has come since they made this drug and try one from this era first"

Anonymous January 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been having a lot of anxiety and panic attacks owing to a lot of undue pressure from family. Just last year I had so much panic attacks doing exams and an OPD doctor I met two weeks ago prescribed Amitriptyline 25mg (1/2 a tablet in the night after meals) and the effect is phenomenal!! It helps me have really deep sleep and it has reduced my anxiety and panic attacks to a zero. This medicine is the best for anyone who is undergoing severe stress, panic attacks or prolonged periods of sadness. I have tried other drugs such as valium and other seretonin based medicine but none of them have worked as effective as this drug! hope this review helps :)"

reviewcric (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Slept like a baby and felt rested when I woke up. Helped with night back pain also after MVA. Helped with depression due to having good night sleep to deal with my daily activities."

Abbey W December 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Amitriptyline has helped me tremendously. I take 100mg at bedtime and I get a full relaxed sleep and my anxiety and stress does not bother me anymore. I'm calm and happy. It's a miracle drug!"

Enki (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was a phenomenal find! I could not function everyday tasks until beginning amitriptyline. I couldn't even try to upset myself, or feel worried while on amitriptyline. I went from constant unknown fear and breathing difficulty to floating on a cloud without a fear in the world. First few weeks had some challenging side effects. Blackouts, memory loss, numbness in face, lathargic, more sleepy than usual, dry mouth and munchies. All those disappeared after a month or so. Did try to get off it to see how my anxiety could manage on its own. Withdrawals were pretty miserable. Two weeks of headaches, nausea, irritability, and dizziness. Did get back on it when anxiety came back full blown. Slowly increased up to 75mg. Hope it works for you!"

Lydiasaurus November 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nothing has worked for me for anxiety, depression, or insomnia. Add this to the list. I wish I could find something that works. My doc put me on 50mg of this in the morning and before bed, along with 1 & 1/2 1.5mg klonipin 3x a day and 2mg Xanax as needed. I was also given lexapro for depression. It didn't help at all. Caused sleeplessness, restlessness, worsened insomnia, weight gain and bloating, ED, and gynocemastia. Not sure which meds caused which, but I was also on nexium, water pills, and lisinipril. Got off all meds as fast as I could and am still suffering from stage 2 hypertension, depression, anxiety, SAD, insomnia, and GERD without meds. Life is rough, but at least I'm not dealing with side effects."

GuyInSa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking only one 10mg pill I keep having panic attacks. Stay away!"

Gaga2015 November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Amitriptyline give me a good sleep every night, I take 1x10mg 2 hrs before sleep. Also the tablet takes away any aches and pains on your body. A cure for panic attacks for which I used to have 6 approx a month is : Stop drinking Coffee or Tea unless you change it to Decaffinated only and the other cure that helps is : 4 or more cups of Camomile Tea every day ,no sugar and no milk in it. I normally leave the t-bag in the cup until I have drunk it. All these things have worked for me and I have not had any Panic attacks for approx 3 years. Also if you suffer with Policeman's heel while walking, the only cure for that is : Sketcher's Shape-ups, I have been wearing them for years and my pain has completely disappeared, I buy mine on line."

karnchana62 October 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Endep (amitriptyline): "Been taking it for 6 years initially for depression then anxiety and stress and it's one of the worst things to happen to me. Constant eczema where my skins gets very itchy and sore that I have scars all over, constipation is probably the worst as I've had periods of vomiting to stomach being sore and bloated, blurred vision, it's addictive contrary to what doctors say as I have been trying to get off it for 2 years slowly and been admitted to hospital twice in that time for substance abuse relating to endep. Doctors can't understand why I have been on it for so long. Take mine at night as you get drowsy of a day on higher than 50mg (most I taken was 75mg) now on 10mg and still get constipation."

Chriso1 October 22, 2016