User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I have always suffered tiredness depression whenever I didn't get a good night's sleep. I was sent to a specialist re an unrelated matter with chronic sinusitis. He said he diagnosed myofascial disorder and prescribed Endep 10g and I couldn't believe the difference. No more waking up in a haze and feeling anxious. I have since had a difficult marriage break up to deal with and increased the dose to 25mg. I don't know how I would have coped without this drug. I hope to get back to the 10mg once I have my life back once settlement is done and I move on."

avian April 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Elavil, good drug but am starting to depend on it... started with 12.5mg, within few months I was off it... However, I had a relapse after 5 months of abruptly tapering off, which was terrible, like I was going to pass out in minutes. Now, I am on 100mg but it seems I need to increase the dosage because I have a hodgepodge of headaches and balance issues.. Sleep as been wonderful regardless of mentioned symptoms... Is this feeling normal and will I need to increase it...????"

Dotunoyedele (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"As someone who has suffered horrendously crippling severe anxiety/depression for over 20 years. I tried every other depression & anxiety on the market before this. I wish I'd been given it years ago instead of the newer ones. Amitriptyline at a dose of 10mg at night has been a total God send, & a life saver to me. Finally I can sleep at night & get a full nights sleep able to switch off from excessive anxiety & worrying through the night. I do feel excessively tired the next day & would definitely struggle to work on these at the mo but that might be because I'm also on Natrexone 50mg also at night both known to cause tiredness when taken on their own but finally I have some peace from severe anxiety & my mood has lifted even if by little."

Lightbulb150 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been dealing with major depressive disorder, severe anxiety, OCD, PTSD, and manic depression since I was a teen (now 41) due to extreme childhood trauma. I have also had substance abuse/self-medication issues for these same reasons for over 20 years now. Clean and sober, my insomnia and anxiety was so severe that I would get about 2-3 hrs of sleep naturally at night or with weed (also stopped...) Finally could not stand it anymore as I was getting to the point that was was having bad thoughts about not wanting to be here anymore.. I'm an accountant who is a single mother with a special needs 3 year old and works over 50 hours per week, so, my stress is about as high as it can get. I LOVE THIS MED. HAVE NEVER FELT BETTER."

Diggerton March 4, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Elavil (amitriptyline): "For many years I was very resistant to taking medications for my anxiety because I watched my mother who is bipolar try many types of medications without success. My anxiety was constant: racing thoughts, hypochondria, worry about my kids, etc. The stress was actually causing me physical pain. I was even tense in my sleep and woke up every morning feeling like I had been in a fight. Elavil was life changing. I started out at 10mg and was bumped up to 25mg after a couple of weeks. The only side effects that I experience are drowsiness (you take it at night, so no big deal) and sometimes weird dreams. I am so at ease these days. I no longer have any stress-related pain. My quality of life has been vastly improved."

M. Bear February 24, 2017

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking this medicine is like taking speed ? Totally shaking and can't sleep heart racing and just plain miserable? Don't get it "

Beenpole24 February 15, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started for sleep. No difference with headache help at 25mg, felt groggy, cut back to 10. Never noticed much help with sleep, unless I took a flexeril too. Back to 25 no difference, except I can't go to sleep if I don't take it. There is a rebound sleep effect, with sleep cycles, so up in panic after a few hours. Because of a wave of awfulness, had severe illness, facing complete financial ruin at late an age to do much about it, and more, Now severe night panic. I was ok with Xanax .5mg 1 or 2 when this occurred, lately a lot. New doc says no more benzo, gave RX for SSRI. I read the ami works same, but more side effects. Wonder if it is adding to panic. Also have heart condition, might not be good. Feel awful. Pretty worthless to take it."

HopingforPeace February 2, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I too have always been anti medication. I've had extreme panic attacks for decades. I managed to get my panic in order on my own to a degree, but due to high stress at work for a long period, it came back in the form of hypercondria. I have invented almost every illness and was spending thousands on tests to put my mind at ease. I started getting shooting pains all over like nerve pain. I thought it was MS, but mri said otherwise. Doc put me on these for the pain, but secretly think she wanted to try and medicate me for anxiety, which i always refused. Give it a few months people. Im only on 10 - 20 mg a night, but after these months gone past, I've noticed I'm no longer obsessing on irrational thoughts. Good luck!"

Tobes-Aus (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Try one of the newer meds out there first. GP prescribed me this for anxiety and I blindly took it thinking doc knows best, went to a Pdoc a few months later and she was mortified that I was prescribed this. I have been weaning off since and finally at 0mgs for past few days, but all the weaning side effects have been terrible. I feel nauseous all day and cannot sleep at all, and have chest pains,with constantly feeling in a fog. Do yourself a favor and trust how far medicine has come since they made this drug and try one from this era first"

Anonymous January 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been having a lot of anxiety and panic attacks owing to a lot of undue pressure from family. Just last year I had so much panic attacks doing exams and an OPD doctor I met two weeks ago prescribed Amitriptyline 25mg (1/2 a tablet in the night after meals) and the effect is phenomenal!! It helps me have really deep sleep and it has reduced my anxiety and panic attacks to a zero. This medicine is the best for anyone who is undergoing severe stress, panic attacks or prolonged periods of sadness. I have tried other drugs such as valium and other seretonin based medicine but none of them have worked as effective as this drug! hope this review helps :)"

reviewcric (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Slept like a baby and felt rested when I woke up. Helped with night back pain also after MVA. Helped with depression due to having good night sleep to deal with my daily activities."

Abbey W December 25, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Amitriptyline has helped me tremendously. I take 100mg at bedtime and I get a full relaxed sleep and my anxiety and stress does not bother me anymore. I'm calm and happy. It's a miracle drug!"

Enki (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This was a phenomenal find! I could not function everyday tasks until beginning amitriptyline. I couldn't even try to upset myself, or feel worried while on amitriptyline. I went from constant unknown fear and breathing difficulty to floating on a cloud without a fear in the world. First few weeks had some challenging side effects. Blackouts, memory loss, numbness in face, lathargic, more sleepy than usual, dry mouth and munchies. All those disappeared after a month or so. Did try to get off it to see how my anxiety could manage on its own. Withdrawals were pretty miserable. Two weeks of headaches, nausea, irritability, and dizziness. Did get back on it when anxiety came back full blown. Slowly increased up to 75mg. Hope it works for you!"

Lydiasaurus November 14, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Nothing has worked for me for anxiety, depression, or insomnia. Add this to the list. I wish I could find something that works. My doc put me on 50mg of this in the morning and before bed, along with 1 & 1/2 1.5mg klonipin 3x a day and 2mg Xanax as needed. I was also given lexapro for depression. It didn't help at all. Caused sleeplessness, restlessness, worsened insomnia, weight gain and bloating, ED, and gynocemastia. Not sure which meds caused which, but I was also on nexium, water pills, and lisinipril. Got off all meds as fast as I could and am still suffering from stage 2 hypertension, depression, anxiety, SAD, insomnia, and GERD without meds. Life is rough, but at least I'm not dealing with side effects."

GuyInSa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 11, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After taking only one 10mg pill I keep having panic attacks. Stay away!"

Gaga2015 November 10, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Amitriptyline give me a good sleep every night, I take 1x10mg 2 hrs before sleep. Also the tablet takes away any aches and pains on your body. A cure for panic attacks for which I used to have 6 approx a month is : Stop drinking Coffee or Tea unless you change it to Decaffinated only and the other cure that helps is : 4 or more cups of Camomile Tea every day ,no sugar and no milk in it. I normally leave the t-bag in the cup until I have drunk it. All these things have worked for me and I have not had any Panic attacks for approx 3 years. Also if you suffer with Policeman's heel while walking, the only cure for that is : Sketcher's Shape-ups, I have been wearing them for years and my pain has completely disappeared, I buy mine on line."

karnchana62 October 25, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Endep (amitriptyline): "Been taking it for 6 years initially for depression then anxiety and stress and it's one of the worst things to happen to me. Constant eczema where my skins gets very itchy and sore that I have scars all over, constipation is probably the worst as I've had periods of vomiting to stomach being sore and bloated, blurred vision, it's addictive contrary to what doctors say as I have been trying to get off it for 2 years slowly and been admitted to hospital twice in that time for substance abuse relating to endep. Doctors can't understand why I have been on it for so long. Take mine at night as you get drowsy of a day on higher than 50mg (most I taken was 75mg) now on 10mg and still get constipation."

Chriso1 October 22, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was prescribed 10 mg for cystitis 1 pill one hour before bed time. After taking the second pill I got severe anxiety attack which led me down on the road of developing GAD and panic disorder. I did not know what was happening to me why I felt so hyper and kind of sick, had heart palpitations, like I had a ton of coffee. The morning I still felt severe anxiety, called the doctor, made appointments to figure it out what is wrong with me. I started loosing weight because I lost my appetite and I guess all the worry created more worries and eventually panic attacks. It may work for others but be very careful when trying it the first time."

Caused severe anxiety/panic (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'd had a bad experience trying an SSRI for anxiety (made me feel very ill!) so I tried 10mg of amitriptilyne every night. I didn't think 10mg would do much for me but it's incredible how it's worked. It worked straight away in relaxing me and although groggy, I now have no anxiety! I feel like my old self again. The doctor said this isn't possible as it's not a high enough dose but it's worked for me so I'm going to carry on. I do wonder if all I needed was more sleep but whatever it is, it's worked for me. I do plan on increasing the dosage as recommended by my doctor but after 20mg I felt extremely tired so I think I tried it too soon. I've been on it just over a month now so maybe I'll try again now."

ozzy80 August 11, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took 10 mg for the first time last night for insomnia. To my great surprise, today it seemed to help with both muscle achyness & with anxiety. I slept all day (& needed it), but I suspect that won't be a big issue once I take this med more regularly (which was the case when I was on mirtazapine/Remeron)."

Anne 577 July 23, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had a very bad experience with anxiety three years ago..couldn't eat or sleep properly..feeling nauseous..diarrhoea every morning. Tried lexapro for 3 nights but made diarrhoea worse. Started on 10mg of amitriptyline each night..symptoms improved for a week and then started to come back. Went on 25mg every night and have been taking it ever since. Would not like to stop taking it now as I feel so much happier in myself..side effects were a dry mouth for about a week but nothing after that.."

Dublin moth (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It gave more energy"

pidgion (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got put on these and it took a long time before they got the dosage right. And with endep I haven't felt clearer. If it wasn't for them I could not function."

dosn't matter May 2, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been very against any kind of mental health medication, and was very reluctant to try amitryptaline, but my anxiety and insomnia were eroding my quality of life. This has literally been a wonder drug for me, and on such a low dosage. 20mg at night and 10mg each morning. My anxiety is greatly reduced, and intrusive nagging thoughts have vanished. I don't know if this is because I am now sleeping well for the first time ever, or because of the mild sedating effects. But whatever, it certainly works, and I was so sure it wouldn't. Only side effect is a dry mouth, but that's easily remedied with a sip of water. A very positive experience. It really has changed my life for the better."

LindaAlison April 16, 2016

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was given this medication for migraines, worst mistake ever, I had bad thoughts about myself, had panic attacks, lost control of myself. Only took it for two nights. Please read the paper because I didn't, only after. Never again. Good luck to everyone else x"

Palacio April 13, 2016