User Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Anxiety and Stress

Amitriptyline has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 131 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety and Stress. 67% of those users who reviewed Amitriptyline reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Kev · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2021

“I have been taking Endep now for about 4 months I started off on the 25 milligrams and now I'm on the 15 mg I've noticed a change in my moods especially depression my anxiety is starting to level out. I am sleeping well at night no more tossing and turning and thinking the night away. I rate this drug 9 out of 10 I've tried other antidepressants which had an ok effect but let me lying in bed awake at night”

Jessie junior · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2021

“Absolutely awful. Five weeks in and I’m a walking wreck. Can’t function, am so angry with everyone and can barely walk through weakness and fatigue. Head is dizzy and everything gives me a fright, even someone calling my name. I am so spaced out. Don’t understand why this medication hasn’t worked for me. It’s truly awful.”

Ron · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2021

“I have tried 3 different anxiety meds and all have had really bad side affects so now on amitriptyline 10 mg to start off with. I have anxiety so bad I can't eat and the attacks are awful nearly all day and now have insomnia due to tablets they gave me. I hope amitriptyline works cause I am losing faith and feel I gonna stay this way forever. I have to slowly up my dose week by week only just started them but still couldn't sleep last night . Will I get better”

TOFLA December 1, 2019

Elavil (amitriptyline): “This drug has been so helpful, I suffered for panic attack, social phobia and anxiety for over 15 years, I started amitriptyline 7 weeks ago and my life has since changed, I can express myself in public, no more panic attack nor anxiety. I really thank my GOD and appreciate this platform which is so encouraging. I should also say that I got inspired from other people who were sharing their experiences on this platform. I'll definitely rate this drug 10/10. No side effects. I an so thankful”

Hsgwgus · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2020

“amitriptyline changed my life. Been on many AD all SSRIS made me feel awful, couldn't think properly, numb. With amitriptyline I've had none of that, can think clearly. SSRIs helped me not have such obsessive thoughts, haven't found that with amitriptyline so I have to work in therapy to help my thoughts but means my brain isn't mush like on SSRIs. I have issues around attachment, some BPD traits, when starting amitriptyline I was the worst ever. Everyday was consumed with uncontrollable fear of abandonment, I was in a state of constant panic. 4/5 months in my life is totally different. Rarely feel panic or anxiety, emotions are more regulated, I'm happy. Amitriptyline wasn't recommended to me. I had to do the research + then ask my doctor. - : heart rate, sometimes weird eye twitch. Hope this helps someone out there, it will get better. Really sucks but we deserve a fulfilling life + suffering means we understand + can advocate for others with mental illness”

katie123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2019

“So I've struggled with severe anxiety and depression for the majority of my teens/young adult years. During my first year of university however, I experienced severe anxiety to a point where I spent all of my time in my bedroom, even going to the coffee shop next to my house was too hard. I decided to go to my doctor and then she prescribed me fluoxetine (prozac) 20 mg. I experienced minor relief in my anxiety and extreme depression and suicidal thoughts. I was on that medication for 3 months when I finally decided to stop. My doctor switched me to amitriptyline and during the first week or two I felt no benefits and was constantly groggy. Then, during the first week, I started feeling not only huge relief in my anxiety but I no longer felt depressed!! I am able to live my life, go out with friends, spend time with family, do well at work and SO MUCH MORE. Best medication hands down. Give it a couple weeks, you won't regret it.”

JJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 26, 2020

Endep (amitriptyline): “My doctor suggested I take Endep 25mg after being diagnosed with Crohn’s. I had been very sick for months and not coping very well. The first week of taking it I was rather spaced out but that was all. My day 7 my nausea was 80% gone, I was sleeping like a baby at night and I was dealing with the stress in my life a lot better. I have been on it for 7 months now and I don’t think I would have gotten through this year without it. The old me would have been having panic attacks and catastrophic thinking over the bush fires and Covid but thanks to Endep I have been able to stay calm and reasonable. I haven’t experienced any negative side effects at all. I guess if anything I can’t get up in the night to my kids bc I’m so deeply asleep but that ok because it just means dad has to get up. Haha”

Dubbs · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2020

“I was prescribed 20 mg amitriptyline for sleep stress and anxiety and within two days of taking it I found I sleep deeply wake happy and have not got the anxiety I had before. I still have a few seconds of what if thinking but then it passes. I have ehlers danlos and fibro and M. E and this is the best drug I've tried.”

Figgs95 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 20, 2019

“I have been taking low dose (10-20mg) of amitriptyline at night right before bed for the past 8 months & it has worked amazingly well for me and my stress / anxiety. Was originally prescribed this for nerve pain in the throat due to LPR/acid reflux symptoms such as constantly clearing my throat & hoarseness. It has worked great for this as my throat pain is down 90% after only 8 months. These symptoms in turn caused me anxiety & depression and the medicine also helped tremendously with that as well. I get a great sleep every night and the only real side effects worth noting would be dry mouth so make sure you use a good mouthwash such as therabreath drymouth. Tiredness at times and weird dreams sometimes but that just may be me. I highly recommend trying 10mg before bed if you have any of these symptoms and move up to 20mg after a week if you find it really helps you.”

Kcouston90 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 7, 2020

“I’m on 150mg amitriptyline a night. Never had an issue. Take them at 7pm go to bed 9/10 don’t wake up groggy and still drive to work the next day. Taking them one night and expecting some amazing cure is a complete joke. Every drug takes time to work.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2019

“I don’t recommend this drug to anyone! I’ve been on it for almost 3 weeks now and I feel more anxious and easily irritated/aggressive towards others 24-7! I have had severe heart palpitations and anxiety, hot flashes, chest tightness, dizziness and fatigue. I’m 35 years old and this medication is horrible!”

30yr male · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2020

“In the beginning amitriptyline was a terrible drug me. I took it once during a pretty bad period of anxiety, about 30mg, and it just took me from anxious to being confused and emotionally passive. So I thought it was not for me. Then I started taking 5mg for pain after some pain in my shoulder combined with migraine attacks. And not only did it help me sleep at night, it started doing wonders for my anxiety. So I think if you manage to power thru the drowsy period when you get used to it, it's actually a really great drug with few side effects. I used to swear to gabapentin, but amitriptyline has proven so much better actually. It has reduced my need for so many other drugs, and I've gotten my brain function back due to less heavier drugs. It also has made me need medication less often, which eventually is what you want.”

Jimbo · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2020

“I’ve been on this amitriptyline for about 6 months - @ a dose of 25mg (anxiety and stress). Ever since starting it my heart rate has gone up to tachycardic levels and also my bp is up. So now I’m on bp meds, and may have to take a beta blocker for my heart rate! Has anyone else had these symptoms?”

Dawn4373 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2017

Elavil (amitriptyline): “It got rid of mine! Tried many meds over the years with various side effects. This is the only one that got rid of my anxiety and depression and gave me no side effects. Not to mention I sleep better on it. I was out of it the first few days until I got used to it and now I can't even tell I am taking something except that I have no anxiety, panic attacks or depression anymore. It was a game changer for me. I feel like a new, normal person again. I highly recommend trying it.”

Anx no more · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 24, 2014

“I suffered with anxiety for years and have tried many many SSRIs as well as benzos. Nothing really helped. I was put on this med for migraines and within a couple of weeks my anxiety began to melt away. My friends and family noticed a huge difference. I feel like a different person. Like I am living the life I always wanted to live, I was just always too afraid and anxious to before.”

Rolls Royce · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 4, 2019

“Tbh, I always look for reviews but can never be bothered to leave my own but had to make an exception for this drug. If you're like me and get vomiting and tremors from most SSRI/SNRI's you NEED to try this stuff. Anxiety, panic attacks, not to mention IBS-D (irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea) this has worked wonders. On 75mg per day, climbed dose very slowly which is good when you need to taper down/if you ever want to. (Come in 10mg, 25mg & 50mg) . The only negative side effect I experienced is my mouth gets VERY dry the higher the dose you go. It also slightly constipates you (actually quite welcoming for IBS-D. ) Being on this also negated the need to take my xanax/valium. I will take the dry mouth in exchange for my life back!!”

Lee · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 24, 2019

“I've been taking these meds for over a year and it has done wonders for me. I've tried other medications for anxiety and depression but none of them worked and most just made my depression worse and did nothing for my anxiety so I stopped trying meds for that for a while. My doctor originally prescribed amitriptyline for insomnia but was hopeful it'd help with anxiety too. I have never slept better in my life and it's reduced my anxiety a miraculous amount. The first few days taking it made me feel awful and I was out of it the whole time but after that it only got better. I tried going off it after a year but the anxiety was unbearable and I got little to no sleep so I'm back on it. Only side effect is that my heartbeat is faster than normal, especially at night but not to a degree where it's unbearable.”

Anonymous August 2, 2009

Elavil (amitriptyline): “I've been on Elavil for three years and it has been a God-send: Ironically, I was seeing a Gastrointestinal doctor until she recommended that I "stop and smell the roses more." Combined with therapy sessions for about a year, I worry less as I see more of what really is worth getting worked up over -- not a whole lot. One can be passionate about certain things such as family and country and life, but other things are less, way-less significant. Elavil has taught me how to best sort out what some things are worth worrying over and not. I take 100mg/day at 8pm normally and I sleep well at night, and feel good generally about how things will be throughout the next day. I love the smell of roses. ”

JessiKostaMesa · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2018

“I have tried so many “as needed” drugs for anxiety and none of them helped. Benzos made my anxiety even worse. Amitriptyline does wonders for me. I can’t even believe it. I’ve been on it for 3 days and I have virtually NO anxiety. I was at a point where I was ready to end my life due to my crippling anxiety and depression. I never thought I’d ever say this, but I just feel NORMAL now. Only side effects I noticed is a slightly dry mouth and some weird twitching (almost like I’m cold). I’ll take that over anxiety ANY DAY.”

UG · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2020

“I was skeptical about using Amitriptyline after I read about it online but I later go to find out I didn’t really read about it properly after my doctor prescribed it for treating my tension headaches and anxiety, I must say the drug has been amazing at even low doses of 10mg or lesser, but it makes me feel so sleepy even after I wake up for work but if I let it take it course for a long sleep I feel so great and my tension headaches are gone just after a week of taking it..”

Lorenzo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 2, 2019

“I've had horrendous panic attacks, anxiety and depression, this Amitriptyline has stopped the panics within 2 weeks and the anxiety and depression is better. At least I'm functional now. I tried lots of SSRIs and they made me worse and made me gain lots of weight. Amitriptyline is the only antidepressant that ever helped me. I'll swear by it for the rest of my life. I am on a maintenance dose of 25mg per day and the difference is almost miraculous.”

M. Bear February 24, 2017

Elavil (amitriptyline): “For many years I was very resistant to taking medications for my anxiety because I watched my mother who is bipolar try many types of medications without success. My anxiety was constant: racing thoughts, hypochondria, worry about my kids, etc. The stress was actually causing me physical pain. I was even tense in my sleep and woke up every morning feeling like I had been in a fight. Elavil was life changing. I started out at 10mg and was bumped up to 25mg after a couple of weeks. The only side effects that I experience are drowsiness (you take it at night, so no big deal) and sometimes weird dreams. I am so at ease these days. I no longer have any stress-related pain. My quality of life has been vastly improved.”

Gwen · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 20, 2019

“I took amitriptyline for a year back in 2016. It did wonders for my anxiety, insomnia and nerve pain. I stopped taking it because I had gained 30 pounds in that year and I was afraid that I would just keep gaining. Over the last 3 years I have tried medical marijuana, prozac, nortriptyline, zoloft, CBT, residential treatment and more to try and treat my anxiety and C-PTSD. Nothing helped and the SSRIs caused severe side effects. Last week I decided to go back on the amitriptyline. The morning after I took my 1st 10mg dose I already felt calmer. My mood is better, my anxiety is better and I am sleeping well. I just bumped up to 20mg last night. Other than a bit of grogginess for a day or two after each dosage bump and a slow creep of my weight I don't have any side effects from this medication. I plan on watching my nutrition and getting more exercise this time around. I'm thankful I'm back on the only meds that have ever worked for me.”

Inked75 June 20, 2017

“Why wasn't I given this medication long ago. Works great for me don't have one little bit of anxiety anymore except when I forget to take it lol it's helped me a lot I do more exercise can get out more and enjoy life and I'm not stuck at home anymore being anxious about things hope this helps other people with the same problem.”

Miriamislame May 5, 2017

“I'm always super nervous about taking new meds. So before I do, I always check up online to see other's experience with it. I saw a lot of really negative stuff about amitriptyline. I have to say, I was happily surprised with the outcome. I get really good, heavy sleep and even after the first dose I noticed less anxiety and a happier mood, which is only getting better day by day. This med, along with yoga, lots of meditation, calming teas, and a healthy diet can truly go a long way if you're sincerely dedicated. 10/10 from me. Good luck!”

reviewcric · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2017

“I have been having a lot of anxiety and panic attacks owing to a lot of undue pressure from family. Just last year I had so much panic attacks doing exams and an OPD doctor I met two weeks ago prescribed Amitriptyline 25mg (1/2 a tablet in the night after meals) and the effect is phenomenal!! It helps me have really deep sleep and it has reduced my anxiety and panic attacks to a zero. This medicine is the best for anyone who is undergoing severe stress, panic attacks or prolonged periods of sadness. I have tried other drugs such as valium and other seretonin based medicine but none of them have worked as effective as this drug! hope this review helps :)”

Unity · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

“This drug amitriptyline for me was horrible, it caused heavy limbs, the feeling of running out of my skin, Tourette like movements, double vision, severe claustrophobia, nervous wreck couldn't sit still, couldn't focus. This med should be banned”

Diggerton March 4, 2017

“I have been dealing with major depressive disorder, severe anxiety, OCD, PTSD, and manic depression since I was a teen (now 41) due to extreme childhood trauma. I have also had substance abuse/self-medication issues for these same reasons for over 20 years now. Clean and sober, my insomnia and anxiety was so severe that I would get about 2-3 hrs of sleep naturally at night or with weed (also stopped...) Finally could not stand it anymore as I was getting to the point that was was having bad thoughts about not wanting to be here anymore.. I'm an accountant who is a single mother with a special needs 3 year old and works over 50 hours per week, so, my stress is about as high as it can get. I LOVE THIS MED. HAVE NEVER FELT BETTER.”