User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I'd had a bad experience trying an SSRI for anxiety (made me feel very ill!) so I tried 10mg of amitriptilyne every night. I didn't think 10mg would do much for me but it's incredible how it's worked. It worked straight away in relaxing me and although groggy, I now have no anxiety! I feel like my old self again. The doctor said this isn't possible as it's not a high enough dose but it's worked for me so I'm going to carry on. I do wonder if all I needed was more sleep but whatever it is, it's worked for me. I do plan on increasing the dosage as recommended by my doctor but after 20mg I felt extremely tired so I think I tried it too soon. I've been on it just over a month now so maybe I'll try again now."

ozzy80 August 11, 2016

"Took 10 mg for the first time last night for insomnia. To my great surprise, today it seemed to help with both muscle achyness & with anxiety. I slept all day (& needed it), but I suspect that won't be a big issue once I take this med more regularly (which was the case when I was on mirtazapine/Remeron)."

Anne 577 July 23, 2016

"Had a very bad experience with anxiety three years ago..couldn't eat or sleep properly..feeling nauseous..diarrhoea every morning. Tried lexapro for 3 nights but made diarrhoea worse. Started on 10mg of amitriptyline each night..symptoms improved for a week and then started to come back. Went on 25mg every night and have been taking it ever since. Would not like to stop taking it now as I feel so much happier in myself..side effects were a dry mouth for about a week but nothing after that.."

Dublin moth (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2016

"It gave more energy"

pidgion (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2016

"I got put on these and it took a long time before they got the dosage right. And with endep I haven't felt clearer. If it wasn't for them I could not function."

dosn't matter May 2, 2016

"I have been very against any kind of mental health medication, and was very reluctant to try amitryptaline, but my anxiety and insomnia were eroding my quality of life. This has literally been a wonder drug for me, and on such a low dosage. 20mg at night and 10mg each morning. My anxiety is greatly reduced, and intrusive nagging thoughts have vanished. I don't know if this is because I am now sleeping well for the first time ever, or because of the mild sedating effects. But whatever, it certainly works, and I was so sure it wouldn't. Only side effect is a dry mouth, but that's easily remedied with a sip of water. A very positive experience. It really has changed my life for the better."

LindaAlison April 16, 2016

"Was given this medication for migraines, worst mistake ever, I had bad thoughts about myself, had panic attacks, lost control of myself. Only took it for two nights. Please read the paper because I didn't, only after. Never again. Good luck to everyone else x"

Palacio April 13, 2016

"I was given this pill for pain relief. It only worked for 3 nights, becuz I would fall asleep as soon as I went to bed. The fourth night the pain in my jaw and ear were back. I have a dry mouth constantly and am drowsy. I had a back tooth filled, becuz I had a cavity. It hurt last night a little but my jaw and ear was worse. I told dentist to pull it, but he thought he could save it and just fill it. Wrong. Now I have to call him back and get off this pill. I am sure it is my tooth."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2016

"This is just my second day of amitript. and I feel so doped and drugged out...Dr gave it to me for severe anxiety (GAD) which I have suffered for years...I could never tolerate the SSRI's and so she is now trying the amtrip...I feel so out of it and depressed...cant hardly move off the couch much less do any things around the house...I know this is a sedating antidepressant and its the older ones but at such a small dose will I ever get use to the sedating effects and will it really help with the anxiety I have...I dont want to feel like this if its not going to ever help and alll I feel is drugged out every day...I am taking it 3 hours before bedtime and sleeping til 10am the next morning ..should I change meds or give it a go...thanks guys.x"

ScaredyKat (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2016

"I took this medicine for anxiety and panick attacks. After suffering for several months trying all sorts of medication. It was this old school medicine that gave me hope that i can actually recover. It improves my general health condition. But i found it difficult to wake up from sleep while i was still on this medication.It really helps but did not address the symptoms permanently."

Auskelly (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

"I struggled horribly with severe anxiety for years I tried all kinds of natural remedies and doctor prescribed medicines but nothing worked long term then two years ago I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis and was prescribed AmItriptyline for pain but what I got was amazing relief from my anxiety and stress now I know what people mean when they say "I got my life back" I take 5mg before bed I sleep great and have a little trouble waking up cause I sleep so well but once I'm up I'm fine no drowsiness and no more anxiety"

outatune00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 24, 2016

"Started on 20g which worked well and helped me sleep.I have just gone up to 50mg taking my first tonight looking forward to them kicking in"

Asdfg123 January 26, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I have been on about everything you can imagine for my stress and anxiety. Nothing worked and for years I have been miserable. I was put on Elavil and didn't feel much of an effect but once the doctor bumped me up to 100mgs a day, I am a new person. It has changed my life. I wake up and feel like dancing!"

AngelWolf12 January 21, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I have tried almost every medicine for GAD (Xanax, celexa, paxil, wellbutrin, lamictal, seroquel, buspar) but it seems that Amitriptyline is the only drug that work for me. I also take 300 mg of Lyrica for chronic pain and 150 mg of Effexor Xr in the morning and 50 mg of Amitriptyline before sleep. It changed my life."

zeko23 December 7, 2015

"I have borderline personality disorder and this medication combined with buspar and cymbalta has really helped the anxiety and depression I struggle with without worsening my BPD symptoms."

Abby12gat December 6, 2015

"I was prescribed this to help with my concussion that wasn't going away. It helped me sleep good throughout the night. The first few days i was extremely tired and had a hard time staying awake in school, but once your body gets used to it it works really good- it got rid of my headaches and made me less stressed"

T Blark (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2015

"Since my car accident a little over year ago I shattered my femur, had a compound fracture in my tib and fib and had previous issues with my back, bad L4 and L5 herniations and my S1 is also herniated as my sacrum was fractured in the accident. It was a very traumatic accident, if you saw the pictures of my car you would have a hard time believing anybody lived through it so I now have lots of hardware in my left leg and no idea what happened. I had my dogs in the car and they didn't have a scratch. Been through 3 surgeries and numerous hospital stays and last weekend my 20 y/o "bf"/(was dating him) passed on, this medication has really helped me to be able to sleep through the night; including helping with pain, depression, anxiety & grief"

Erica0424mocha November 8, 2015

"This has helped a lot. Less over thinking, more positive first thing. It actually worked for me"

nunz November 5, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline): "Dramatic weight gain, heartburn, sleeplessness"

Me and everyone else September 13, 2015

"5 years ago, my gastro Dr put me on this med for nerve pain. I was not having to take it each night, usually 3 to 4 nights of as little as 12mg, sometimes even less at 6.5 mg did the trick. I found that the medication made it a bit harder to wake up in the morning but I was able to sleep thru the night. I am now having trouble sleeping due to increased stress and anxiety and the medication has been helpful in helping me sleep. Only issue for me has been the dry mouth in the morning which is manageable, I also try to eat right and exercise daily which has helped my anxiety. In reading the reviews, I can certainly relate to what many of you are going thru. Unless you've been thru it, people have no idea what its like."

TommyABC July 27, 2015

"Hi I have been on 25mg since a year and half ego. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I refuse to take any mess but it got so bad I had to do something. My pcp put me on zoloft ..that pill gave me such bad side effects I though was going to die..so I went to a psychiatrist and she put me on elavil I wad so nervousabout starting new medication but I knew I had to try it she prescribe 25 milligrams 3 times a day I know my body and I knew that was a high dose for an so I started with 25mg..and yes it made me really really tired so I took it at night and within 2 weeks I felt so much better.I still get tired but it helps me sleep I love this medication"

Missy83 June 15, 2015

"I have stress for 5 years since I had car accident. Every day I feel very uncomfortable and wish I could have a normal life. I went to this page and decided to take this drug. I got my life back."

Anonymous June 12, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on benzodiazepines for several years..unfortunately i had recently upped the dosage to 2 mg due to family stress and felt more depressed and panicking , craving for benzos... i then switched to amytriptiline, an unbelievable tiny dosage 2 mg, 1 drop a day..i have been taking it for aroind 10 days before going to bed... it helped a lot and i was able to discontinue benzos from day 1 (when i actually took 4 mg amytriptiline, 2 drops ,slept for 12 hours and woke up in the morning feeling...new, with a clear mind, no more tortured by anxiety and panick attacks.... i know this seems incredible at such a low dose... i m just wondering if this has a scientific explanation because im sure it is no placebo effect"

Mauve June 5, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was given 100 mg a day to treat migraines. I ended up not having migraines but chronic tension headaches which it did not help BUT it helped my anxiety. I was having daily panic attacks and slowly, they were reduced. I gained 20 pounds in a few months and decided to stop taking it a month ago, feeling fine. This week the anixety has started coming back-dizziness, short of breath, panicky, etc. so I started back on 25mg. Other than the weight gain the other side effect was dry mouth so the trade of of being able tot live a normal life was worth it."

sarainadream March 3, 2015

"I've been taking this medication for about 6 months now to help treat my insomnia issues and my migraines which have disabled me at 20 years old.. It's helped a lot. I only take 10mg because I am sensitive to medication and always have been... Because it's a form of anti-depressant I was stressed to try it because Zoloft made me insane and I was afraid I'd get the same way on this... To my surprise, after going 6 years without any medication, this has worked really well. No dizziness like other meds have caused. I do get slight dry mouth. If I wake up at night it's short lived and I go back to sleep. I don't feel 'doped' up when I wake up either just able to fall asleep again.. I would recommend this medication! side effects: Dry Mouth."

Kayla bunker (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2015