User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"13 years ago on this drug I went up 10 dress sizes in three months. I developed every inflammatory immune response possible - joints so weak I could hardly stand up, eyes felt like they had sand or glass in them, could not sleep, anxious all the time and crippling rebound migraines. I lost 1 year of work. Metabolism has never re-corrected itself fully. I stopped going to Doctors after this drug experience as they failed to understand the negative potency of this drug and had no solutions. I got healthy again through properly researched supplementation and nutrition. Wrecked my life."

Saebe December 31, 2016

"Not effective for me. When not producing results, physicians will increase the dose. Eventually, it just knocked me out. I thought I was sick and fatigued. It turned it was the medicine."

ernestosabato (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2016

"Started 2 weeks ago for chronic migraines. I've been to the emergency twice in a week for numbness in my face, hands, weakness in my legs. I can't eat, I feel faint and dizzy. I've a massive panic attack that landed me in the ed again last night. Never taking it again! I was only on 25mg"

LALA3382 December 22, 2016

"These tiny little pills are amazing I was suffering with migraines every 2 days I've been taking them 2 weeks nearly 3 weeks and only had one migraine and that was in the very beginning I could cry with relief it's taken 2 years of migraines to be finally given some sort of relief and I couldn't be happier I'm noise reactive so loud noises can trigger a migraine I put these tiny pills to the test and went to a friends birthday party loud music people shouting and nothing no migraine when normally the first 5 minutes of loud anything I'd be hunting down pain relief cold packs and a dark room and for the first time in what feels like forever I actually had a great time with friends they're great so happy"

Happylittlemonster54 December 8, 2016

"I have been on amitriptyline for 8 months and it has supremely helped my condition. Although I still have one or two migraines a month, I was having them almost daily before starting on the amitriptyline. I was hesitant to be taking an anti depressant, especially after trying at least a dozen of other medications, but I am glad that I trusted my neurologist."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2016

"I have been on amitriptyline for almost ten years. It has basically saved my life. I had migraines that did not stop. I take 37.5 mg nightly and haven't had a migraine since. I did not believe my neurologist when he wanted to try this med. I had almost given up on any medication working. I am now scared to not take it. I was not a believer, I am now."

Jay_Schroeder November 28, 2016

"Taken 25mg nightly for almost 2 months. No change to migraines. Still 2 to 3 per week. Makes me sleep very deeply but leaves me feeling weak during the day, lightheaded, and some heart fluttering. Will be going back to my doctor to try something else."

RCad (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

"This medicine has given me my life back. I can go months without a migraine. My home life is great because I can go back to doing the thingsI love and I am no longer in fear of losing my job. I have become productive again!"

A lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

"I had headaches for a year. At six months I switched my allergy meds, relief cut the headache intensity by half. The rest of the cause was minor concussion as a result of an auto accident and overdoing( occasionally overdosing) of OTC pain relievers ( Tylenol and aspirin). Started elavil almost 3 months ago, I am now mostly headache free with only slight headaches and off all OTC pain relief. OTC pain relievers can be addictive and by reducing how much per day I took, I am now taking OTC pain relievers for minor muscle and joint problems as needed (which is only occasionally). Looking forward to stop using elavil every day. Some tips listen to your doctor, keep a log or journal of progress and remember not thinking always about a headache"

rosette3 November 4, 2016

"I was prescribed this for migranes/constant headaches. It made me very sleepy and didn't seem to help at all with the headaches. I'm a 24 year old female."

jacobmaroo (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

"I was prescribed Amitriptyline to help with anxiety and sleeping issues, but it has also helped a ton with migraines. I was having at least one a week, but I haven't had one in almost 4 months (so far). I have had a couple of headaches, but they definitely weren't migraines, and over-the-counter meds knocked them out. I was at the point where over-the-counter meds weren't working with the migraines, so I'm thrilled with the results. And it has improved my sleep considerably, also!"

GlitterPrincess October 25, 2016

"This gave me very vivid nightmares. It turned me into a zombie: I went from a very happy cheerful person to a boring introvert. Made me paranoid I was always on edge. My appetite was cut in half. I get blurry vision and drowsiness when I have migraines and amitriptyline helps with that. I have had migraines for the past 3 year everyday and this did not help."

Broolò (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2016

"My doctor prescribed 25 mg nightly before bed to help prevent migraines. I've been taking it for about 2 months and I've gone from 6 separate migraine attacks in a 2 week span to 4 in a two month span. I may need to up the dosage soon because 3 have been recently (within the last month). Anywho, helps me sleep wonderfully at night without making me groggy before or after bed. I also have no harsh side effects like thoughts of suicide or anything like that. 10/10 would recommend for migraine sufferers - I have it a 9 because I think I need to up my dosage."

Shelby7170 (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

"I have been taking this medication for my migraines for about a year and a half. I take it at night and within 30 minutes I am asleep. This combined with verapamil 120mg ER has decreased my migraines from weekly to about one every 8 weeks or so. I have noticed I am calmer and more focused the next day. I have gained a little weight but I'm not sure if that's age or the medicine. I'm 46."

Angie1111111 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

"Take this for migraines, I take this at night as it also helps me to sleep because of the drowsiness, only thing that controls my migraines."

ALOBE (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2016

"UK user, been on this for over 5 years, i was getting tension migraines nearly every day, like one of the reviews below, i noticed when i didn't get one! One of my main 'problems' has been very vivid dreams, some have been like a movie, great when you realise it is the drug, I have now also experienced mild haluasinations which I am aware it is the drug and I am monitoring it, there is a cleaner version of this drug called sumatriptalin, very similar in medical effect, but a lot fewer side effects, generally though thr pills work well with the other medication I am on to stop the migraines."

Spikey69 October 13, 2016

"I have been on this medication for 6 months, suffer from severe migraines. At the beginning I could sleep better, less migraines but dizzy. I stopped taking this medication since I developed severe anxiety attacks usually during the night, irregular heart beats ( PVCs) and chest pressure. Also numbness of fingers and toes. I took only 5 mg at bedtime. I have been off this medication for one week, had an awful migraine and last night sleepless night with anxiety. I am pretty sure it works for some people. Watch out for side effects."

Sunshine. October 11, 2016

"I've been suffering for 15+ years with migraines. I prefer not to take prescription medication but had tried homeopathic remedies, adjusted my diet and lived a very regimented lifestyle but would still have 8+ migraines a month. Was prescribed 10 mg in the evening. I started taking 5 mg to slowly start my body on it and minimize side effects---been on 5 mg for the last 6 weeks and have had tremendous success. Side effects: sleepiness in the am--so I take the pill about 6:30 in the evening and have minimal sleepiness in the morning. I was worried about weight gain but haven't seen it (I'm 110 so it would be noticeable). Dry mouth--I just drink more water. Other than that, minimal side effects."

Texaslady123 October 11, 2016

"I must say that the migraine suffering that I had for years is almost gone.Although today I have slight headaches.My MD prescribed me with a heavy dosage but after checking out from the hospital after an angio,the cardiologist reduced the dosage which prevents me from feeling sleepy."

108 October 7, 2016

"I've been on this medication,among others for 12 years. Helps control my seizures. Lately, had to talk to my neuro about the near constant head PAIN. Well beyond an ache! By upping my dosage from 20 mgs to 30, I'm pretty much headache free. Which is a first for me. I've had migraines since grade school and the only thing that controlled them was aspirin. Tylenol or ibuprofen did nothing but rot my liver. So used to migraines that even I didn't notice a progression until I landed in emergency and a pass through the CT showed a significant tumor. After removal, various meds were tried to keep the seizures at bay. The one that worked tremendously well..was actually allergic to. Which brought me to the current cocktail of 3 different meds."

Almost why bother (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2016

"It makes me drowsy, so take it at night but this is the only thing that has worked. I had dry mouth but i was temporary."

ChristianK94 August 16, 2016

"I suffered from Chronic Tension Headaches that occurred at least once a day, usually more, and lasted over an hour each, as a result of extremely tight neck /shoulder muscles. No amount of physio or chiropractor visits had helped and I was at a loss as it was genuinely ruining my personal and working life. I was prescribed amitriptyline by my GP due to its muscle relaxant capabilities and ever since then the headaches have been cut by nearly 90%, to the point where I now notice if I have one compared to before where I noticed if I didn't (!). If you suffer from the same, I would suggest talking to your doctor about their use for treating chronic headaches."

Charlotte1234 August 16, 2016

"Migraines 1/2 month & regular headaches from 16 until 40, after car accident 10 months ago getting terrible migraines 2-3 a week & headache around the clock, having trouble working & doing anything productive, addicted to pain medication. After everything physical came back clear, prescribed amitryptiline 25mg which got rid of migraine/headaches but left me foggy/dizzy and with very dry mouth. Went back to 10mg, has gotten rid of the side effects, in the 7 or so months I've been taking it have had 1 migraine and hand full of headaches that have been eased by asprin or ibuprofen. Has given me a new lease on life, risk of weight gain has been reversed by having energy to exercise and have actually lost 20 lbs & put on bulk"

Mazzo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

"I have suffered with migraines for 15 yrs. sometimes for days straight, sometimes 2-3 per week. Have been on amitriptyline for 10 months now at 10mg and my migraines have improved by about 95%. I still get the odd one only now they are silent migraines which is tolerable. Have gained 10 lbs that I needed so I am very happy with this medication."

Rae43 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2016

"So I have been on amitriptyline for a little over a year and it did work wonders for migraine prevention but there are alot of down sides to this medication that the doctors don't make clear. It causes sugar and carb cravings like crazy you never feel full it's addictive and you can form a tolerance to it which causes you to have to go up in dose every once in a while. I have slowly grown to hate it because I personally have gained 40 pounds in less than a year taking this medication. I've noticed lately that it hasn't been working as well for my migraines signalling an increase in dose. I am going to try a different medication because I'm already taking 100mg of this one and I can't deal with the cravings and weight gain!"

Sjameson8 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 6, 2016