User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"Suffered migraines for over 15 years average 2-3 a month 10/10 pain vomiting, sweats the absolute worse and headaches on daily basis 7/10 pain. I've been on 50mg endep for 4 years. Migraines are not as severe but still get a least once a month. Headaches still a daily problem. I'm now taking inderal 40mg with endep 50mg it's been 9 days and so far no headaches. I'll write a review after a few months. Hopefully good news finally"

Abj2278 September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi. I suffered with constant dizziness every day to some degree for at least 5 years. Seen neurologists, had brain scans and tried various drugs. The last neurologist said it could be a type of migraine but I am not convinced (every day for 5 years)? It is ruining my life. I can't make plans, drive, look after grandkids, just stuck indoors. Just started taking 10mg of Amitripyline and am worried that one of the side effects is dizziness! I will give it a good try because I am at a loss as to where to go from here. Anybody else taken this drug for dizziness? how did it work for you??"

Anonymous September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having head pains on the right side of my head/neck/eye after the loss of a loved one. Sharp pains and long lasting dull ache on the right side wouldn't go away, sometimes numbness etc. And for about a year I went through EVERY type of Dr & test possible. Long story short and two MRI's later (all came back normal). I was no closer to ridding myself of these pains. I found a new Dr who put me on Elavil (25mg) and I can say after 3 months my head pains are reduced 85%. I have pain free days now! It took about 2 months to work in my case. Tiredness is a side effect but mine went away after a few weeks. This med has given me hope. I hope if you're having these problems you will give it a chance to work..."

BunnyBuelle September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had Migraines for 40 yrs. I take Topamax 200mg2x/ day. I added Ami about 4 months ago, it has drastically reduced my Migraines. I had surgery, that interfered with sleep. This was my cure drug, except for the WGT gain I experienced.a wonderful combination w Topamax, n triptans."

Cobber3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication made me not want to get out of bed. It was difficult to get up in the morning and I felt tired and unmotivated. It was a relief when I stopped after trying it for 3 months. I still had migraines."

Anonymous July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was so excited for the first two months. Two 10mg tabs before bed with my Prozac (which is also supposed to help my migraines) and month three they are back and worse than ever. I take relpax for migraine as needed but cannot take more than 8 a month. I'm already at 11. It's the only thing that helps. I do love the sleep from elavil though, just haven't found help with migraines"

Msghu July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Suffered migraines for 30+ years. Lots of things trigger my migraine ( broken sleep, insomnia, having the slightest headache before going to bed, heat....I could go on!!)For the last 8 years I have been taking Sumatriptan with great success. I suffer migraines 5 times a week and the doctor was worried that I was taking Sumatriptan too often. He suggested amitriptyline. The migraines have decreased by 75%. I take 10mg of amitriptyline an hour before I go to bed and I must say I am very impressed."

Mamalogie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had migraines for 11+ years. It took probably 7 years to finally find sumatriptan for abortion of acute attack which would happen 2-6 times a week. I would react to weather, stress, lack of sleep, 3-d movies... u name it. Once I started PA school due to stress migraines became almost daily thing and it would debilitate my life and studying to the point I couldn't not stand anymore. Since I have insomnia for many years Amitryptiline sounded superior to other options and I started taking 10 mg before going to sleep. It's my week 3 with all possible triggers and absolutely zero migraines! I am so happy I cant even believe it worked so well. I only had one small headache ( which used to be often too). And I definitely fall asleep better !"

Silvertoy1 June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For 10 years I've had the most severe chronic Hemiplegic and classic migraines. The condition robbed my life. I tried Topamax, Effexor, but they were awful. I felt worse. Then I took this and the effect was immediate. My years of pain, gone...migraines attacks, down 95%. I swear by it."

IndigoReb (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wanted to share this with everyone. I was given this mediation 6 years ago. I had a lot of problems like fibromyalgia, migraines, depression, insomnia, IBS -C. I was taken a lot of different meds for all these problems, but nothing worked. When I was first put on this medication at 25mg I could sleep for the first time in years. I was waking up on the morning refreshed and happy. I noticed about 6 months later my migraines were not as often as I normally would have them. As time went on I needed my meds to be increased. I now take 150mg. This drug is a life saver. My fibromyalgia pain is less, migraines less, anxiety way less and it also improved my IBS C symptoms. I would recommend this Medication to anyone with any of these problem"

Dolphinlver June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, I am sharing my opinion with maximum respect to all readers and based only on my own experience. I've had migraine almost all my life. I am 44. My migraine was 50% pain and 50% mood change (which was terrible or even worse than the pain). This has been deeply affecting my quality of life, my relations (mood changes) and also at work. The last neurologist I visited put me on Amitriptyline 25mg. The medicine helped a bit reducing the frequency of the migraines. However migraines came back and the last attack lasted for 3 weeks. He changed the dose to 50 mg. I am now 71 days without migraine and still counting. I am a new person and I wish my comment may help others."

PedroSG May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been talking amitriptyaline for migraine prevention for the past year and it has completely improved the quality of my life! "

Sirius111111 May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had insomnia, anxiety and migraines since I was 7 years old (I'm 47). I've been taking 10mg every night for the past 7 months to prevent migraines and it has helped immensely. Migraines have virtually stopped (previously migraines were almost daily). Insomnia has gone - this was an unexpected positive side effect. Anxiety seems to have improved but this could be because of not being in pain and sleeping well. I don't seem to be suffering from any side effects and I'm usually very sensitive to medication. Perhaps a little groggy in the morning like a normal person - coffee fixes it."

Smoking Alpaca May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Dr prescribed 10mg Amitriptyline/day for chronic migraines (daily with no apparent cause) and I managed to last 5 days on the meds. I had horrible dizziness, was lightheaded whenever I stood up, had the weirdest dreams (to the point where I did not want to go to sleep and face whatever dream/nightmare that was waiting for me) and on the last night I took them I had such terrible stomach pain that it woke me up and my mother almost took me to the ER because I nearly blacked out from the pain when I got up to go to the washroom. The meds also didn't actually help with my migraine situation. Based off of my reactions to other medications, I would say that I'm particularly prone to side effects so they may/may not happen to you."

UltimateProcrastinator (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First started taking for cluster headaches (much worse than your run of the mill migraine), worked a treat. Was taking rizapan, sumagram, maxalt, basically all the Triptans and while they work I get about 4 cluster headaches a day so I started to get headaches from the overdosing on Triptans. Went to hospital and endone did nothing for me. Tried beta blockers, they made me really sick. Even did physio and acupuncture, don't even bother.... 30mg of endep and the cluster headaches are completely gone."

Alm865 April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I cannot believe the relief I have had by taking this drug ! My last 9 months have been hell, almost constant migraine pain or pressure most days . Amitrptyline has made me my old self again."

Harpoon April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Elavil 20 mg for 6 months for migraine prevention, at first felt really loopy and actually stopped taking them after first dose, did not like feeling like that. But my doc urged me to try them and my migraines are down from 6-8 a month to 1-2 a month, so far so good."

RDW29 March 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been dealing with anxiety/ panic attacks and migraines for 10mths and have tried about everything out there (Prozac/ Buspirone/ Setraline/ Ativan) and NOTHING seemed to work but Ativan. Everything else gave me really bad reactions from burning skin to heart burn, palpitations, shortness of breath, insomnia just to name a few and even worsened my anxiety and led to more panic attacks. The only problem with Ativan was that because it is a Benzo and it is highly addictive so my doctor did not want to prescribe that anymore. My migraines got so severe that I was seen by a Neurologist last week and he prescribed AMITRIPTYLINE so far it's working wonders . I am able sleep through the whole night and my panic attacks are gone!!!!!"

Jelly4444 March 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking 10mg every night but noticed a significant change in emotions. I have had depression in the past but it was never bad but I noticed that while on this drug I was severely depressed and crying everyday and having suicidal thoughts. I then looked up the side effects of this and found that those were some of them. This caused me to stop taking the medicine even though it definitely decreased the amount of migraines and headaches I've been getting."

tewbh March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Take for migraines not sure it does much good as I still get them twice a month it did however see off my sciatica after 3 years of constant pain!"

Minnie16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this medication for hemiplegic migraines, I was also experiencing bad anxiety and dizziness. I started at 25 mg and I saw an immediate decrease in my anxiety and dizziness, I did suffer a bad migraine and my doctor increased my dose to 50 mg at bedtime, it has worked wonderfully with the added bonus of getting a great nights sleep "

Dianek66 February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 10mg at night. Been on it 6 weeks no migraines maybe 2 headaches. Wouldn't take more than 10mg tho."

yellowfrog (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mixed review - taken for headaches, virtually cured as a result but left with a mid-sized hiatus hernia. Had severe migraines - actually was in a constant state of them. I was told to have: 10mg for 2 weeks. 20mg for 4 weeks. 30 mg for the rest of the 6 months. I ended up going up to 20mg for the rest of the 6 months, not 30mg because I felt dysphagia symptoms and very slight heart palpitations. Since being off for the last 8 months, I only have migraine-like headaches once every month (usually if no sleep + anxiety). BE CAREFUL, I had a history of acid reflux issues. Now at 25, I have a mid-size hiatus hernia and GERD and I'm on PPI's for the rest of my life!"

A.. January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this medication to replace Toprimate. I took a pill Friday night and Saturday night (10mg). Given I was feeling well prior to taking this, I soon discovered/realized that it made me more emotional and it felt like I wanted to cry at any small thing. Combined with the feeling that it revved me up even at 3am in the morning, I have since stopped."

LRJB January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"13 years ago on this drug I went up 10 dress sizes in three months. I developed every inflammatory immune response possible - joints so weak I could hardly stand up, eyes felt like they had sand or glass in them, could not sleep, anxious all the time and crippling rebound migraines. I lost 1 year of work. Metabolism has never re-corrected itself fully. I stopped going to Doctors after this drug experience as they failed to understand the negative potency of this drug and had no solutions. I got healthy again through properly researched supplementation and nutrition. Wrecked my life."

Saebe December 31, 2016