User Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 57 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Candace June 3, 2020

“Easter Sunday 2020 I woke up with a headache that lasted a month. I finally had an over the phone appointment with my doctor who said they were tension headaches. She prescribed these amitript to prevent them. I had no idea that they were also used for anxiety or depression. I have had both for years but refused to treat them as all of the SSRI’s I’ve tried made me feel terrible. I was nervous to try this for that exact reason but I was desperate for headache relief. The first couple days I felt a little out of it but that went away. Until one day I was outside throwing a ball around with my daughter and realized that I was actually enjoying my life for once in a long time. I sleep so well on these (even though that’s never really been an issue for me) and I just feel like I can enjoy things again instead of just waiting for activities to be over with. I’m really happy I ended up on this medication! I should mention my headaches have disappeared as well! Give it a try!”

Mumof2 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 29, 2020

“I started using Endep and my mood was terrible I've never felt so much anger my life. I have stopped taking it now as depression was building and the doctor suggested coming off it. Other people I know find it great however I definitely did not see and improvement and side effects were terrible”

TM40 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 11, 2020

“I have been having severe migraines and tension headaches all my life (18 - 20 per month). I then switched family doctors to a new doctor who sent me for a CAT Scan and prescribed 10MG Amitriptyline after he saw the scan's results. The migraines and headaches disappeared instantly and it has been a year now. I only have the dry mouth side effect.”

Michele · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 18, 2020

“I have been diagnosed with chronic migraine disease. I began taking amitriptyline as a preventative 1 and a half years ago, while having more than 19 migraines per month. The preventative reduces my migraine down to about one or two migraines per month!!”

Paige · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2020

“I was prescribed this for my headaches, depression, and inability to go to sleep. I also have non epileptic seizures that it does help. However lately I have been angry or annoyed at almost anything that doesn't go my way and I don't know why. I have done this before with other medications but on a larger, more violent scale. This may not be the medication for me but anything to stop my seizures helps.”

Handym February 11, 2020

“I use to have severe migraines that I had to hide in the dark they would make me get sick I had a poor quality to life my doctor started me on amitriptyline 10mg and I haven't had a migraine since”

sympathomimetic · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2020

“When I first started amitriptyline 10mg., the only side effects I noticed were a bit of fatigue and dry mouth. I did not see an improvement in my migraines, but an improvement is not expected early on. Once I went to 20mg., I had an extreme mood shift where I became quite depressed and apathetic, and I felt quite awful for 3 days or so. After that, the side effects wore off, and it didn't feel like I was taking any medication at all. I have now been taking amitriptyline for two months at a current dosage of 25mg per day. While the side effects have subsided, I have not seen any improvement in my migraine frequency (20+ days/month) or severity. My doctor and I are planning to switch to topiramate in the coming weeks.”

Nate · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2019

“I was waking up with totally immobilizing headaches at least three times a week. I started at 5mg amitript and there was little improvement. I took 10mg on my own and that totally stopped all migraines. I spoke w/ my doctor and she increased the Rx to 10mg and I have been headache free for more than four months!! The only side effect I have had is dry-mouth, which can get unpleasant in speaking situations. Now I simply ensure that I have a bottle of water around.”

Bigsexcc · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2019

“I have been taking this for 2 months for pain from my neuropathy. It's great as a second med with my other neuropathy meds. It also helps me sleep.”

CKB · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2019

“I am 24 years old, and I started seeing immediate improvement in my migraine symptoms on a dose of 10mg of amitriptyline. Just on 10mg my daily pain was reduced, and I found myself reaching for OTC pain killers only every 3rd day or so instead of daily. It gave me clarity if mind, and I was able to process where I was feeling my pain more precisely, which was very valuable information for my doctor. Before taking this drug, my head pain was so bad I was unable to clarify where I was feeling it. I could not process it at all. I have since been bumped up to 20mg daily, and I things have improved even further. I am able to spend afternoons and evenings with friends and family without reaching for pain killers. I am not as afraid of committing to plans in fear of an inevitable migraine. Being pain free in this regard is something I haven't felt in over a decade. I feel hope for the future knowing I don't have to spend my days in fear of pain. Truly incredible and life changing.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 23, 2019

“I haven't been on amitriptyline for very long but I've had less migraine attacks. It did make me very moody and had dark thoughts when I first started taking it. It doesn't help with my insomnia though.”

Kel November 9, 2019

“I have tried this medication amitriptyline twice now a year apart for Vestibular Migraine (dizziness/vertigo). I have tried all other migraine prophylaxis medications and either they didn’t help or side effects to severe to continue taking them for more than a few weeks. Amitriptyline did stop my daily dizziness, and I did feel less foggy, however, the antidepressant component to this medication does not work well for me, I was having intrusive thoughts, and nightmares, scary stuff, similar to the shining! It made my anxiety worse, I know they say there is an adjustment phase of a few weeks on this type of medication, but when you feel so bad 3 days in, you do wonder how bad does it have to get. I stopped taking the medication because of the effects it was having, but it did work. The only other small side effect I had was dry mouth which was nothing. I am now looking at trying the last available option for me for migraine which is a calcium channel blocker.”

Paulie November 3, 2019

“1 month in on my 2nd stint on Amitriptyline for migraines, anxiety, low mood, 25 mg/day. I feel it's starting to have good effect, symptoms have gone from a 7-8 to a 2-3. At first it seemed to be making things worse, the side effects the first week were horrific, headaches, confusion, brain fog, anxiety. But around week 2-3 started to feel some improvement and has continued slow but steady improvement since then. Last time I took it was a few years ago for about a year and a half eventually weaned off of it and was fine for awhile, but then the migraines came back. Have seen some studies where amitriptyline has been shown to increase neurogenesis in the brain so it helps to rebuild and rewire the brain. Hopefully will be able to wean off of it again in time. Happy to have found something that works, would give 10 but some minor side effects that have to be dealt with, constipation, dry skin, mouth, weight gain.”

Punchy · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2019

“I've had severe chronic ear pain for over 4 years now. It was a random day at work which it usually starts bothering me at work. It's never the same time frame. It will start at any time, any day. The pain will last a few hours or all day and go back and forth with the severity of pain. If it's really painful then I try to not look up or to the left because it feels like it's almost stretching the area of my ear that hurts! I've never woken up and still had pain. It won't start hurting until I get to work. I've been to ENTs, a TMJ doctor, neurologists and more. I've had a CT and MRI done looking for issues. Everything comes back fine. They've tried all kinds of medications for all kinds of reasons and nothing works. I'm hoping amitriptyline will help!”

k October 24, 2019

“I've been taking this for just under 1 month after taking topiramate previously. The first 3 weeks in comparison were great, I went down to only 1 migraine per week and only 1 headache per week. But I'm now back to daily headaches.”

Lost at 21 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 17, 2019

“I've had pressure headaches almost every day of my life. In high school I started having awful sinus headaches that evolved into blocked sinuses. I was perpetually dizzy for 6 months with horrible facial pain. I continued to work because I loved the taking care of my class of toddlers. I nearly cried with joy when they told me I needed surgery. No more spinning. No more sunglasses. No more hiding from light in my closet. 4 polyps removed and balloons. 6 months of horrible pain. I developed an extreme chronic gastritis. Migraines all day every day. Then amitripyline wiped the pain away. My anxiety was bad enough I'd have panic attacks weekly. With amitryptiline 30mg and Duloxitine my anxiety is completely managed. But... my personality is completely flipped. I don't care about the kids. I don't know what's right or wrong. I don't care about the quality of my work. I get mad easily. My faith is failing. I don't care about how others feel. Less pain but at what cost?”

Lee October 11, 2019

“Definitely getting a good nights rest which in turn leads to less migraine pain”

Ion · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2019

“I have been taking this for 3 weeks to help with headaches. I felt like I was on drugs completely on a high. I couldn't sleep had severe heart palpitations felt anxious all the time sweating and confused. Don't take it as I had to ring 111 in the night thought I was going to pass out my heart was racing so fast. Went to walk in centre and saw a doctor who said to stop immediately. .”

s · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 22, 2019

“I got my first migraine when I was in fourth grade and every year it became more frequent, by tenth grade I was having severe migraines with aura at least twice a week. I was started on 10 mg amitript and I've gone up by 10mg every 6 months, I now get a migraine with aura maybe once a year. However now I'm constantly tired, still worth it though.”

Chris · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 5, 2019

“Seemed a no-brainer to try Amitriptyline given it hits a few things I brave: migraines, peripheral neuropathy, insomnia and mixed anxiety-depression. The only other thing I take is sertraline. Neither of them gave me side-effects aside from an initial Amitript "hangover" and GI upset on sertraline. After that, I saw some improvement. Migraines lessened but Amitript flakes out so I'm at 60mg following many dose bump ups, still no major side effects. Occasional hypersomnia. Otherwise I'd say both take the edge off what I take them for. Amitriptyline does lose its sedative effect fast but I still think it helps sleep architecture. Migraines; still suffer mildly (stress). Peripheral neuropathy is a tough one; it may have helped lessen discomfort albeit symptoms are still prevalent. I think the two have helped through tough times. Neither is a cure but they've worked better than stuff I've tried prior. I was reluctant to try Amitript given sedating Mirtazapine was a horrific diabolical drug; luckily it's nothing like it.”

Bravo · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 31, 2019

“When not on medication, I suffer from migraines 10 to 15 days a month. When I am on amitriptyline, of course after it starts to work, I usually have 3 to 5 a month. The only downside to this medication I have found is that every 6 to 12 months I need to have the dosage upped by 25 mg as it stops working and then I need to wait a period of time before it starts to work again. Overall it is a good medication but I do not see it as a permanent solution to my condition as I can see that eventually my dosage will reach the maximum amount I am allowed to have whereupon I will need to switch to another medication or survive without one altogether.”

K · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 24, 2019

“I've been taking Amitriptyline (50 mg daily at bed time) for about 5 years now for migraine and tension- type headache prevention. I've tried to reduce the dosage but found the headaches returning. I haven't had a severe migraine with aura in months and I only get around 2 tension headaches a week (extreme improvement). The only side effects that I've experienced are occasional constipation and heart palpitations. Despite this, the benefits of the medication far outweigh side effects which is why I continue taking it.”

MJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2019

“This medication has really helped stop my migraines. The only side effect I would mention is NIGHTMARES. holy cow, I'm talking "children of the corn" nightmares. Super scary, vivid and nuts. However, its worth the migraine relief honestly.”

Heppy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2019

“Prescribed 10mg amitriptyline 2 months ago for chronic daily migraines. Gone from having 5-7 migraines a week to one migraine once every 2 weeks, it’s completely changed my life for the better. The only side effect I get is increased appetite which is actually a positive.”

I am who I am and Im me · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 8, 2019

“Got put on 10 mg amitript and haven't had a migraine since October I think and it help me sleep”