User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"Been on Elavil 20 mg for 6 months for migraine prevention, at first felt really loopy and actually stopped taking them after first dose, did not like feeling like that. But my doc urged me to try them and my migraines are down from 6-8 a month to 1-2 a month, so far so good."

RDW29 March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been dealing with anxiety/ panic attacks and migraines for 10mths and have tried about everything out there (Prozac/ Buspirone/ Setraline/ Ativan) and NOTHING seemed to work but Ativan. Everything else gave me really bad reactions from burning skin to heart burn, palpitations, shortness of breath, insomnia just to name a few and even worsened my anxiety and led to more panic attacks. The only problem with Ativan was that because it is a Benzo and it is highly addictive so my doctor did not want to prescribe that anymore. My migraines got so severe that I was seen by a Neurologist last week and he prescribed AMITRIPTYLINE so far it's working wonders . I am able sleep through the whole night and my panic attacks are gone!!!!!"

Jelly4444 March 12, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking 10mg every night but noticed a significant change in emotions. I have had depression in the past but it was never bad but I noticed that while on this drug I was severely depressed and crying everyday and having suicidal thoughts. I then looked up the side effects of this and found that those were some of them. This caused me to stop taking the medicine even though it definitely decreased the amount of migraines and headaches I've been getting."

tewbh March 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Take for migraines not sure it does much good as I still get them twice a month it did however see off my sciatica after 3 years of constant pain!"

Minnie16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this medication for hemiplegic migraines, I was also experiencing bad anxiety and dizziness. I started at 25 mg and I saw an immediate decrease in my anxiety and dizziness, I did suffer a bad migraine and my doctor increased my dose to 50 mg at bedtime, it has worked wonderfully with the added bonus of getting a great nights sleep "

Dianek66 February 7, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 10mg at night. Been on it 6 weeks no migraines maybe 2 headaches. Wouldn't take more than 10mg tho."

yellowfrog (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Mixed review - taken for headaches, virtually cured as a result but left with a mid-sized hiatus hernia. Had severe migraines - actually was in a constant state of them. I was told to have: 10mg for 2 weeks. 20mg for 4 weeks. 30 mg for the rest of the 6 months. I ended up going up to 20mg for the rest of the 6 months, not 30mg because I felt dysphagia symptoms and very slight heart palpitations. Since being off for the last 8 months, I only have migraine-like headaches once every month (usually if no sleep + anxiety). BE CAREFUL, I had a history of acid reflux issues. Now at 25, I have a mid-size hiatus hernia and GERD and I'm on PPI's for the rest of my life!"

A.. January 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given this medication to replace Toprimate. I took a pill Friday night and Saturday night (10mg). Given I was feeling well prior to taking this, I soon discovered/realized that it made me more emotional and it felt like I wanted to cry at any small thing. Combined with the feeling that it revved me up even at 3am in the morning, I have since stopped."

LRJB January 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"13 years ago on this drug I went up 10 dress sizes in three months. I developed every inflammatory immune response possible - joints so weak I could hardly stand up, eyes felt like they had sand or glass in them, could not sleep, anxious all the time and crippling rebound migraines. I lost 1 year of work. Metabolism has never re-corrected itself fully. I stopped going to Doctors after this drug experience as they failed to understand the negative potency of this drug and had no solutions. I got healthy again through properly researched supplementation and nutrition. Wrecked my life."

Saebe December 31, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Not effective for me. When not producing results, physicians will increase the dose. Eventually, it just knocked me out. I thought I was sick and fatigued. It turned it was the medicine."

ernestosabato (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started 2 weeks ago for chronic migraines. I've been to the emergency twice in a week for numbness in my face, hands, weakness in my legs. I can't eat, I feel faint and dizzy. I've a massive panic attack that landed me in the ed again last night. Never taking it again! I was only on 25mg"

LALA3382 December 22, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"These tiny little pills are amazing I was suffering with migraines every 2 days I've been taking them 2 weeks nearly 3 weeks and only had one migraine and that was in the very beginning I could cry with relief it's taken 2 years of migraines to be finally given some sort of relief and I couldn't be happier I'm noise reactive so loud noises can trigger a migraine I put these tiny pills to the test and went to a friends birthday party loud music people shouting and nothing no migraine when normally the first 5 minutes of loud anything I'd be hunting down pain relief cold packs and a dark room and for the first time in what feels like forever I actually had a great time with friends they're great so happy"

Happylittlemonster54 December 8, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on amitriptyline for 8 months and it has supremely helped my condition. Although I still have one or two migraines a month, I was having them almost daily before starting on the amitriptyline. I was hesitant to be taking an anti depressant, especially after trying at least a dozen of other medications, but I am glad that I trusted my neurologist."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on amitriptyline for almost ten years. It has basically saved my life. I had migraines that did not stop. I take 37.5 mg nightly and haven't had a migraine since. I did not believe my neurologist when he wanted to try this med. I had almost given up on any medication working. I am now scared to not take it. I was not a believer, I am now."

Jay_Schroeder November 28, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taken 25mg nightly for almost 2 months. No change to migraines. Still 2 to 3 per week. Makes me sleep very deeply but leaves me feeling weak during the day, lightheaded, and some heart fluttering. Will be going back to my doctor to try something else."

RCad (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine has given me my life back. I can go months without a migraine. My home life is great because I can go back to doing the thingsI love and I am no longer in fear of losing my job. I have become productive again!"

A lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had headaches for a year. At six months I switched my allergy meds, relief cut the headache intensity by half. The rest of the cause was minor concussion as a result of an auto accident and overdoing( occasionally overdosing) of OTC pain relievers ( Tylenol and aspirin). Started elavil almost 3 months ago, I am now mostly headache free with only slight headaches and off all OTC pain relief. OTC pain relievers can be addictive and by reducing how much per day I took, I am now taking OTC pain relievers for minor muscle and joint problems as needed (which is only occasionally). Looking forward to stop using elavil every day. Some tips listen to your doctor, keep a log or journal of progress and remember not thinking always about a headache"

rosette3 November 4, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this for migranes/constant headaches. It made me very sleepy and didn't seem to help at all with the headaches. I'm a 24 year old female."

jacobmaroo (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Amitriptyline to help with anxiety and sleeping issues, but it has also helped a ton with migraines. I was having at least one a week, but I haven't had one in almost 4 months (so far). I have had a couple of headaches, but they definitely weren't migraines, and over-the-counter meds knocked them out. I was at the point where over-the-counter meds weren't working with the migraines, so I'm thrilled with the results. And it has improved my sleep considerably, also!"

GlitterPrincess October 25, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This gave me very vivid nightmares. It turned me into a zombie: I went from a very happy cheerful person to a boring introvert. Made me paranoid I was always on edge. My appetite was cut in half. I get blurry vision and drowsiness when I have migraines and amitriptyline helps with that. I have had migraines for the past 3 year everyday and this did not help."

Broolò (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor prescribed 25 mg nightly before bed to help prevent migraines. I've been taking it for about 2 months and I've gone from 6 separate migraine attacks in a 2 week span to 4 in a two month span. I may need to up the dosage soon because 3 have been recently (within the last month). Anywho, helps me sleep wonderfully at night without making me groggy before or after bed. I also have no harsh side effects like thoughts of suicide or anything like that. 10/10 would recommend for migraine sufferers - I have it a 9 because I think I need to up my dosage."

Shelby7170 (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this medication for my migraines for about a year and a half. I take it at night and within 30 minutes I am asleep. This combined with verapamil 120mg ER has decreased my migraines from weekly to about one every 8 weeks or so. I have noticed I am calmer and more focused the next day. I have gained a little weight but I'm not sure if that's age or the medicine. I'm 46."

Angie1111111 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Take this for migraines, I take this at night as it also helps me to sleep because of the drowsiness, only thing that controls my migraines."

ALOBE (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"UK user, been on this for over 5 years, i was getting tension migraines nearly every day, like one of the reviews below, i noticed when i didn't get one! One of my main 'problems' has been very vivid dreams, some have been like a movie, great when you realise it is the drug, I have now also experienced mild haluasinations which I am aware it is the drug and I am monitoring it, there is a cleaner version of this drug called sumatriptalin, very similar in medical effect, but a lot fewer side effects, generally though thr pills work well with the other medication I am on to stop the migraines."

Spikey69 October 13, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on this medication for 6 months, suffer from severe migraines. At the beginning I could sleep better, less migraines but dizzy. I stopped taking this medication since I developed severe anxiety attacks usually during the night, irregular heart beats ( PVCs) and chest pressure. Also numbness of fingers and toes. I took only 5 mg at bedtime. I have been off this medication for one week, had an awful migraine and last night sleepless night with anxiety. I am pretty sure it works for some people. Watch out for side effects."

Sunshine. October 11, 2016