User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 60 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"Migraines 1/2 month & regular headaches from 16 until 40, after car accident 10 months ago getting terrible migraines 2-3 a week & headache around the clock, having trouble working & doing anything productive, addicted to pain medication. After everything physical came back clear, prescribed amitryptiline 25mg which got rid of migraine/headaches but left me foggy/dizzy and with very dry mouth. Went back to 10mg, has gotten rid of the side effects, in the 7 or so months I've been taking it have had 1 migraine and hand full of headaches that have been eased by asprin or ibuprofen. Has given me a new lease on life, risk of weight gain has been reversed by having energy to exercise and have actually lost 20 lbs & put on bulk"

Mazzo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

"I have suffered with migraines for 15 yrs. sometimes for days straight, sometimes 2-3 per week. Have been on amitriptyline for 10 months now at 10mg and my migraines have improved by about 95%. I still get the odd one only now they are silent migraines which is tolerable. Have gained 10 lbs that I needed so I am very happy with this medication."

Rae43 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2016

"So I have been on amitriptyline for a little over a year and it did work wonders for migraine prevention but there are alot of down sides to this medication that the doctors don't make clear. It causes sugar and carb cravings like crazy you never feel full it's addictive and you can form a tolerance to it which causes you to have to go up in dose every once in a while. I have slowly grown to hate it because I personally have gained 40 pounds in less than a year taking this medication. I've noticed lately that it hasn't been working as well for my migraines signalling an increase in dose. I am going to try a different medication because I'm already taking 100mg of this one and I can't deal with the cravings and weight gain!"

Sjameson8 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 6, 2016

"Ive had migraines at least 3 times a week since I was 5 years old, I'm now 19.. I started taking these about 4-5 months ago and now i still get migraines about twice a week, BUT they are the worst migraines ive ever had in my life, im in so much pain i throw up 3-4 times with each one, all i can do is lay in the dark, cry, and try to sleep until it goes away, it usually takes around 24 hours to fade away. Ive also been expierencing hair loss and trouble urinating.. everytime i have a migraine all i can think about is how much i want to die and whats the point of living.. And for those reasons, im getting off this."

Diiieresssej (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2016

"I suffered with vertigo migraines for two years before I was put on 10mg of endep, felt the difference within a week and went up to 20mg a couple of months after. This drug gave me back a life, I was able to go back to work, and after not being able to lie down to sleep for weeks I am now sleeping with just one pillow! Vertigo was horrendous, no headache just vertigo and pressure in my head. Had to up the dose after being on it for two years just recently and waiting for it to kick in, but after having another attack a week ago I realised how great this drug is & how terrible I feel with vertigo migraines. Definitely recommend this drug, worth trying for at least two weeks because I found side effects really decreased after that time"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 30, 2016

"Absolutely fantastic! Been suffering with severe chronic migraines for two years. Tried a handful of different triptans, topiramate and beta blockers (propranolol). Finally tried this and I haven't had one migraine since starting. It makes you incredibly hungry and I've gained a stone in two months. However I'd rather put on extra baggage than suffer everyday from severe pain."

Cookie addict (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2016

"I was given amitriptyline 50mg for migraine. I also take serzone. I was taking 250 MG when amitriptyline was prescribed. I now take 150mg but am still taking 50mg of amitriptyline. I have had seratonin syndrome in the past. Is the ratio of Serzone and amitriptyline safe or will it cause me to have seratonin syndrome again."

Chris. May 16, 2016

"I hate this medicine I think I ruined me I lost a year of my life on this pill I didn't do anything for my migraines at all, I slept for up to 16 hours a day on it and it made me stupid. I became a d average student my jr year of high school if I accidentally missed a days dose I would have to skip school because I would be puking all day because of it. I absolutely hate the medicine if you can't tell."

August19 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2016

"I was suffering from sever migraines for 4 years before I was put on this life saving medication. My migraines had gotten to the point where I had to quit my job of 6 years where I held the position of supervisor. I tried so many different drugs, but none of them gave me any form of relief. Even perception pain killers didn't helped during the more severe. Finally my doctor put me on 50mgs of Amitriptyline and oh my god, I have NEVER felt better!! I noticed a difference within a week of being on it! It has even helped my insomnia. I have been migraine and headache free since January 1016. The only time I get them is during my menstrual cycle but I have pain killers for during that time. I have no side effects from it at all."

C_Anderson13 April 13, 2016

"My migraines have been cut in half by using 10mg elavil daily. I used to get severe headaches 2 times per month lasting at least 3 days each. Now I get about 1 every 4-6 weeks and for the most part they last a day or 2 and are Much less severe. I used to be bed ridden for days and it's happened only once or twice since starting elavil 6 months ag. I pray that this continues and that I don't build a tolerance and have to up my dosage because I don't like taking meds"

Ingipg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 12, 2016

"helps prevent my migraines most of of the time/"

tam2 April 5, 2016

"Not only did it not help with migraines, it made me gain 40 pounds."

Ket1108 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2016

"Oops! I had put my review under the wrong category. Long story short- I got a concussion and was unexpectedly bed-ridden and in the dark both metaphorically and literally for almost 3 months. Migraines wracked me every day among other symptoms- it was basically hell on earth. My doctor prescribed me 25 mg of amitriptyline, said most of his concussion patients had a lot of success with it. Anyway, it gave me my life back. I've been on it for 4 mnths now... I don't get aura migraines anymore, head aches now are duller and infrequent :) Dry mouth, a little more constipation, had some depressed feelings when I first started but my body adjusted. I really do recommend this! Give yourself enough hours to sleep at first."

Violetrose1130 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

"it wasnt til last year my sophomore year i finally just couldnt take the headaches, they got soo bad i had to go to the doctor and they prescribed me amitriptyline. Let me say they started off as a miracle worker and definetely recommend it to prevent it. But it does has its side affects, i am suffering from depression , panic attacks , suicidal thoughts and makes me feel so tired and sleepy its not funny. Im a junior now in highschool , my hardest and most important year and i kinda hate that i took and am taking amitriptyline. I cant take this med anymore. My grades are so bad right now because i can never stay focus at school and feel so damm tired i dont want to do anything.cant concetrate, i act different now and i dont feel myelf."

mariesssssssssss March 3, 2016

"Absolutely Effective! I suffered most of my adult life with debilitating migraines. My Doc recommend that I try 25 mg at bed time (half a yellow pill) .. I rarely get migraines anymore. I use to get migraines 4+ times a week .. now I get them MAYBE once a month (if that) Side effects: I take this medication within one hour of wanting to be asleep. This medication kicks my ass. Knocks me out."

RichardfromCanada March 2, 2016

"Been suffering from severe right eye & top of the head pains, which normally develop into excruciating migraines and last for hours so I'm forced to take Migraleve which helps sometimes and go to bed with lights off and just rest. My doc prescribed me Amitriptyline and I took it 5 times in a month so far. I get a few side effects (insomnia, depression) and can only take them a few hours before bed as they still affect me the day after (sleepiness, tiredness, inability to focus). It does work almost immediately, and the effect last for a week even, which is great. I feel very relaxed but I noticed that I started feeling without reason rather depressed, to the point that one day I actually felt a bit suicidal so I stopped taking them for a week"

regina2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

"I took this in an attempt to prevent my migraines that occurred several times each month. During the two weeks that I took this at bedtime I had an increase in migraines (3-4/month became 3 in 2 weeks) and had at least 2 incidents where I got out of bed and did things - including going for a drive - that I woke the next morning with no memory of the night before!"

FF/EMT March 1, 2016

"It does work for me, but have to take it twice daily - 25mg morning and 25mg at night, rather than 50 mg at night. Only negative side effect - dry mouth all day, have to drink a lot of water"

2cv (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 29, 2016

"For years I suffered with headaches that could not be cured by everyday painkillers and as a result would progress into a migrane which as we all know are torturous at times. I changed doctors after years of suffering and she introduced me to amitriptyline ( an anti depressant) but in small doses she explained had been proven to help sufferers of migranes. I decided, what the hell, they can't get any worse. Shockingly after about three weeks of taking this drug I no longer got the everyday headache and the migranes were non existent. I've been taking amitriptyline for 4 years now and I couldn't recommend it more. I very rarely get a headache never mind a migrane on a small 10mg one everyday dose. It also helps me sleep so added bonus!"

Amihappy (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 26, 2016

"I have been using amitriptyline for years. I only take it when I have a migraine and it is usually gone the next day. I love it. I take it at bedtime and I am a bit drowsy from the effects when I wake up but the headache is gone!!"

ditchdog February 19, 2016

"I've been taking this medication for a week now. Almost all my headaches and migraines are all gone. The only time I really get a headache or migraine is when I don't get enough sleep."

Nikkiloveslollies (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

"Been taking 10mg of amitriptyline for a month now. They haven't done anything for my migraines. Which seem to be getting worse and more aggressive. I've also experienced as if my brain was shaking, which was weird and scary at the same time. I've also had lapses where I've done something and I can't for the life of me remember doing it. I'm only 47."

Petra 67 February 11, 2016

"I only take it when I get a migraine and I can then function at work. I take it maybe twice that day and don't take it again until I get another mygraine."

dhyggen January 31, 2016

"Was prescribed as a post impact headache help. After taking 10mg per night for about 10 days, I spent an entire night unable to sleep with what felt like heart palpitations. This was scary. Immediately stopped taking it of course, but the next night woke up at 3, thought it was time for work, and made coffee. I slowly came out of a fog and realized the time (I usually get up at 6). Previous I had noticed what seemed to be seeing things out of the corner of my eye while driving, but that is no big deal. My better half had mentioned I seemed to care less about things as well. I see it works for most and that's great. But like any medication be sure to pay close attention."

JoeSchmoe (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

"About 3 months ago I started experiencing thunderclap migraines. My doctor put me on Atenolol which did nothing for me. She then put me on Amitriptyline 25 mg which has pretty much eliminated the migraines. I guess I was somewhat depressed because now I feel wonderful, patient, and have a sense of well being. My emotions seem to have levelled out. I have experienced some not so pleasant side effects such as vivid bizarre dreams, blurry vision, constipation and dry mouth. I kept hearing about serious weight gain but due to my new found satisfaction in life I don't turn to food for comfort anymore so I've lost weight on this medicine! I love what this medicine has done for me."

C6162004 January 23, 2016