User Reviews for Albuterol

Also known as: ProAir HFA, Ventolin, Ventolin HFA, Proventil HFA, ProAir RespiClick, ProAir Digihaler AccuNeb Vospire ER

Albuterol has an average rating of 3.2 out of 10 from a total of 324 ratings on Drugs.com. 20% of those users who reviewed Albuterol reported a positive effect, while 71% reported a negative effect.

Asthma, acute
3.6
Summary of Albuterol reviews 3.2 324 reviews

Reviews for Albuterol

Albatros sux · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2021

For COPD, Acute: “Walgreens keeps switching my inhalers to albuterol and I am suing them. Albuterol doesn't work and it hurts my lungs”

Noah April 8, 2021

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol) for Asthma, acute: “i personally have had a much better experience than most people with this inhaler - I don't find it difficult to breathe in the powder at all (maybe they changed something because I only started it less than a year ago?) works better than the hfa inhaler I used to use in terms of helping my breathing and doesn't make my heart rate increase, or make me shaky or anxious, which is esp useful when you already have anxiety.”

Don March 14, 2021

ProAir HFA (albuterol) for Asthma, acute: “ProAir has never worked well for me. It is albuterol just like Ventolin HFA, etc. But, I have heard from many that ProAir is not as effective due to a different type of propellant in it. Now, to me this makes little sense. The reason why makes little sense is that IF the propellant that has been changd from the product is "part" of what helps the treatment of an asthma attack, it (the propellant) should not be replaced by a different propellant. The propellant that helps treat asthma SHOULD THAN be considered as an active ingredient that TREATS asthma. Since propellants have not been studied or claimed to be a treatment, it leads me to believe there is some OTHER unfounded reason for the ProAir not to work as well as other inhalers. Why? BECAUSE ProAir and many other "emergency" inhalers contain the same active ingredient; albuterol. I rate ProAir a 3-4 in effectiveness. I would rate other emergency inhalers that contain the same active ingredient, albuterol, as a 9-10.”

maria · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

For COPD, Maintenance: “Cannot remove perrigo albuterol sulfate canister from the body of the inhaler, even with a pair of pliers! Removal of canister is necessary every five days to rinse through the inhaler, or it clogs up and is unusable. The "rescue inhaler" is absolutely essential in management of severe emphysema. . . HELP! What can I do until Teva improves the design of their new inhaler?”

Jean May 28, 2020

For COPD, Maintenance: “The first time I used it it stopped dispensing meds after 4 uses. Took it to Walgreens where the canister was extremely difficult for the pharmacist to get out. She cleaned it and gave it back to me. 3 days later I decided to try this particular canister again. Nothing was dispensed. I requested that my physician order only Pro Air. Went to Walgreens and was given the same awkward useless inhaler. I’m extremely frustrated with allergy symptoms getting bad. I’m afraid to go anywhere without taking 2 with me and something to be able to pry out the canister with and hope it works.”

aintjemima · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 21, 2020

For COPD, Maintenance: “I was given the new Perrigo albuterol inhaler by my pharmacy after getting the generic ProAir inhaler. The first Perrigo inhaler stopped working with 44 inhalations left. I decided that it might need to be cleaned. The delivery device has a clear plastic cover over the canister and is not possible to remove without using a screwdriver to pop the clear plastic part off. It is very poorly designed. Once I removed the canister, the delivery device fell apart. I cleaned it but it still did not work properly. The pharmacy once again gave me the same inhaler and I thought I would give it another try. This time it stopped working with 110 inhalations left. I believe this is such a poorly designed inhaler and it can be dangerous for someone who needs immediate relief.”

J733 June 22, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol) for Asthma, acute: “I love the regular ProAir in the red plastic with white cap. I was given the generic ProAir in the weird half white half clear plastic casing with the weird red cap. The first thing I noticed is that it tastes disgusting. I nearly threw up the first time I took it. For the next 30 puffs I couldn’t take it without having a strong flavored drink to chase it or I’d gag and throw up. But the worst part is that the inhaler fell out of my purse and onto the floor two days ago and stopped working altogether. It may dispense half a puff or a quarter puff and then nothing.I took the canister out to clean it because I thought it was clogged but now when I press down on it comes out the hole where the cap locks in! What?! I pay $50 a month for this and now I can’t use it with 130 puffs left! I’m hoping I can just switch the canister into an old red ProAir chamber and it works. The generic design is crap.”

Erix · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2020

For COPD, Maintenance: “My Insurance company only covers this new generic version of Albuterol Sulfate HFA 90MCG Inhaler manufactured by Perrigo. It is terrible. First, it does not come in a sealed packet, it is just in the box. Secondly, the safety cap is not attached to the spray unit and is difficult to remove. Thirdly, the spray is very, very weak. I have used Ventolin and other versions of Ventolin in the past and was alway completely satisfied. This new generic version is terrible!”

Imp · Taken for 10 years or more August 31, 2020

For COPD, Maintenance: “I have used ProAir HFA for decades without problem. For reasons unknown to me I have been switched to Perrigo. So far I have used four of their actuators. Of the four, two have been messed up but in different ways. Both basically stopped functioning slightly more than half-way through the 200 metered dosages. The actuator is too big and awkward and you can't easily get the canister out for cleaning. That process actually requires pliers! I hate these and want to go back to what I had before but I'm not sure ProAir HFA is still even being produced! Who do I ask? My doctor? Pharmacist? Insurance company?”

Hockeymom · Taken for 10 years or more June 30, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I received the Albuterol HFA inhalers from Express Scripts manufactured by Perrigo. They are absolutely awful. First of all they do not work. They also have a terrible smell and taste. I have used this medication for numerous years and have never once had this experience. As others have mentioned the medication canister is almost impossible to remove from the mouthpiece making cleaning an issue if the inhaler gets clogged. I would hope that Perrigo revamps this medication as I am completely willing to pay more for meds that work.”

Lb · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I have been on albuterol for years. NEVER have I had a nasty aftertaste, like the inhaler from Perrigo. Since using this Perrigo albuterol inhaler my tongue felt raw, the aftertaste when I exhale is nauseating. Not to mention, the inhaler itself is bulky, difficult to open and seal tight so I can't wash it. I feel this is a dangerous product. I ordered a new inhaler and had to wait for a few days. I began to realize I hadn't been getting relief when I finally got the new inhaler. 2 puffs and I'm a really breathing well again. Perrigo needs to be investigated”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I have had asthma since 1982 and I am a respiratory therapist. I have to used various inhalers and SVNs over many years. I've always thought the ProAir was awful but the Perrigo Albuterol, generic for ProAir, is the WORST. This inhaler is not safe to be used as a rescue inhaler. I believe that patients will flock to the ER because the inhaler gives NO relief. I had to buy a new inhaler within a couple days of this purchase because its THAT BAD. When I get refills now, I refuse to take this brand. Its absolutely useless and the taste so bad.”

aconde01 · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol) for Asthma, acute: “I have used ventolin for many years and find that it works very well. My insurance switched me from ventolin to pro air and it was horrible. My asthma attack became worse and I ended up in the ER. I could not breath at all. I told my doctor and she is trying to get me back on ventolin and it is a battle. The do not want to put me back on it. I guess I have to die before they see that pro air does not work!”

Squee · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I am using Perrigo albuterol inhaler for the first time. It's horrible!! The dispenser is so awkward. It's hard to hold. It's difficult to press down on the albuterol canister and there is a guard around it that sticks up too high. It's hard to know whether a dose has been delivered or not. Terrible design of an inhaler! I am thinking it would almost be worth paying the extra $30 just to get Ventolin.”

Anonymous January 23, 2009

Ventolin HFA (albuterol) for COPD, Maintenance: “My husband has COPD and our doctor recently changed his albuterol inhaler to Ventolin. His other one was not working like it should. He has been on the Ventolin for about 2 weeks and it works great. He does not have to use it as much and it lasts much longer than his previous one. He loves this inhaler.”

Lisa · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol) for Asthma, acute: “Update: I went to the Perrigo site. At the "contact us" portion I gave my complaint regarding the taste, the low effectiveness and the problem with not being able to get the canister out to wash it. THEY CALLED ME!!! It was a great conversation. They were very kind, took a survey, and are refunding my copay. They are very much concerned, as this is their first launch of this product. Please join me in contacting them, so they can correct this product.”

Eve · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol) for Asthma, acute: “I have asthma for over 40 years. Pro- Air is the worse inhaler for any asthmatic. As with several others , insurance switched my Ventolin to this Pro- Air. When I needed it only made things worse during an attack. After giving this inhaler a try of 3 months- I explained what was happening and My Doctor made notes to make insurance company out me back to Ventolin.”

Iny · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2020

For COPD, Maintenance: “The generic Proair is DANGEROUS. My Teva Proair always opens my airways. This does not open them well. Delayed time for any opening you do get. Horrible taste. Burns your nose inside ? I will get Proair Brand cannot go this stuff.”

Debbie · Taken for 10 years or more August 20, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I have used the Pro-Air inhaler for years. I don't have to use it regularly but when I need it, I really need it. In April, BCBST switched me to the generic by Perrigo. After about 8 times of using it, it clogged up, I kept trying and I just thought I got a bad one. So I got another one. Luckily, when I went into a full fledged asthma attack from dust and mouse droppings while cleaning out a garage, I had my Pro-Air in my purse and it saved my life. Had I had the Perrigo, I would have ended up in the ER. I took the inhaler back to my pharmacy but they said they could not do anything. She told me to try and rinse it out with hot water. I tried hot water and vinegar and still it is clogged. I cannot risk it. I have to pay out of pocket $65 for Pro-Air. I am fighting with BCBS to stop recommending the Perrigo generic as they could end up with higher bills if we all end up in the ER needing breathing treatments.”

LaserLady · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 25, 2019

ProAir HFA (albuterol) for COPD, Acute: “I have been forced to use this horrible inhaler by my Insurance Company. They stopped offering anything except this useless inhaler. I WAS using Ventolin which worked great for me, but then got dropped. ProAir clogs constantly and delivers spotty doses if any. HATE this product - they must be giving the insurance companies a lot of kick-backs because it seems like most only offer this. I want my Ventolin back! I have a son-in-law who is from the Philippines. He had to make a trip back there a couple of months ago, so while he was there he picked up 20 Ventolin inhalers for me (which is sold over the counter there with no script required) for $10 each! We are getting so ripped off by the American pharma industry! Something needs to change!”

KC April 28, 2020

For Asthma, acute: “Perrigo generic albuterol.... horrible. Canister cannot be removed to clean mouthpiece, plastic canister guard is in the way of use of the product, and hardly anything comes out. I take it for Seasonal allergic wheezing ”

LJR September 7, 2020

For COPD, Maintenance: “I have been on albuterol for years and it’s always worked effectively until they changed the inhaler device. It does not deliver the medication properly. This inhaler must be banned! It’s dangerous for any one to rely on this and a waste of money !”

Mac · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 4, 2020

Ventolin (albuterol) for COPD, Maintenance: “Express scripts gave me the VENTOLIN inhaler instead of PROAIR, the design of the inhaler did not work as well for me. It seems like the time (1/100th of a second?) that the medication is delivered is too short to "catch" during an inhale. I called my doctor and changed back to PROAIR.”

Lizlizardrn · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

For COPD, Acute: “This new inhaler Perrigo Albuterol Sulfate is terrible! It tasted awful and I can’t get it apart to clean. I don’t feel like it opens my airways like the other inhalers I usually used in the past !!!! Great for my insurance if it’s cheaper but if I can’t breathe .... that hospitalization I’ll end up with will be costly !!!”

Can't breathe · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 15, 2019

ProAir HFA (albuterol) for Asthma, acute: “I used Proventil for over 40 years. One dose stopped my asthma attacks. My insurance is forcing me to use ProAir. It was slower acting and now it is no relief. I went from using Proventil, to ProAir plus 2 maintenance medicines and a nebulizer. Now I have to go to the emergency room to get relief because the ProAir still doesn't work hours later. Insurance is not saving money and they are risking lives.”

Asthma Allergy Nurse · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2018

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol) for Asthma, acute: “I've been a nurse with a private asthma and allergy practice for nearly 4 years, now. I have also used the ProAir RespiClick device for my reactive airway symptoms to determine why my patients are complaining that they aren't experiencing any symptom relief with it. I have no idea how the ProAir RespiClick even made it through trials to be approved for patient use. This device is only activated if the patient is able to inhale forcefully and deeply enough to cause the powder to be released and inhaled. In the event of an asthmatic episode, the patient is already struggling to breathe deeply/forcefully, hence their urgent need for relief. If someone can't breathe, it makes no sense that their lifesaving medication won't work unless their lung function isn't compromised. That would be like asking someone who is choking on food to swallow a pill to dislodge the food and save their life. No common sense here, manufacturers.”

Coco · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 1, 2020

For COPD, Maintenance: “The Catalent Pharma generic of Albuterol, distributed by Perrigo, is terrible. It should be pulled off the market as you cannot rely on the actuator to not clog even when cleaned per the instructions. This is an emergency inhaler. It should work each and every time. A pliers is required to remove the canister. I can physically feel particles when inhaling it ergo the clogging issue. I called my pharmacy and requested the Teva. That is reliable. Shame on the manufacturer.”

Anonymous September 11, 2019

ProAir HFA (albuterol) for Asthma, acute: “This is the worst inhaler. I have occasional asthma attacks and need a rescue inhaler. I have used the Proair waited an hour and had to use it again. I was having to use my nebulizer to get any relief since this useless inhaler doesn't work. My doctor demanded the insurance company put me back on Ventolin. After one dose of Ventolin I had instant relief from my asthma attack. They need to get rid of proair.”