How do you use the ProAir Digihaler?
Medically reviewed by J. Stewart, BPharm. Last updated on Jan 7, 2019.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
ProAir Digihaler (albuterol sulfate) is a prescription bronchodilator that relaxes muscles in the airways and increases air flow to the lungs. It is used to treat or prevent bronchospasm in people who have reversible obstructive airway disease, and to prevent exercise-induced bronchospasm.
ProAir Digihaler is the first digital inhaler with built-in sensors that detect when the inhaler is used, and measure respiratory flow. The inhaler data is sent to the companion mobile app using Bluetooth® wireless technology so patients can review their data over time and share the reports with their caregivers and health care professionals if needed.
ProAir Digihaler Instructions for Use
When you are ready to use ProAir Digihaler for the first time, remove the ProAir Digihaler inhaler from the foil pouch.
There are 3 main parts of your ProAir Digihaler inhaler including:
- the white inhaler with the mouthpiece.
- the red cap that covers the mouthpiece and vent of the inhaler.
- the electronic module.
There is a dose counter in the back of the inhaler with a viewing window that shows you how many doses of medicine you have left.
- Your ProAir Digihaler inhaler contains 200 doses (inhalations).
- The dose counter shows the number of doses left in your inhaler.
- When there are 20 doses left, the dose counter will change to red and you should refill your prescription or ask your doctor for another prescription.
- When the dose counter displays ‘0’ your inhaler is empty and you should stop using the inhaler and throw it away.
- Always close the cap after each inhalation so your inhaler will be ready for you to take your next dose.
- Do not open the cap unless you are ready for your next dose.
- You will hear a “click” sound when the cap is opened fully. If you do not hear the “click” sound the inhaler may not be activated to give you a dose of medicine.
- ProAir Digihaler does not have an activation button or medicine canister. When you open the cap, a dose of ProAir Digihaler will be activated for delivery of the medicine.
- ProAir Digihaler does not need to be wirelessly connected to the mobile application (App) in order for it to work and for you to take your medicine.
- In general, the technique for administering ProAir Digihaler to children is similar to that for adults. Children should use ProAir Digihaler under adult supervision, as instructed by the patient’s physician.
- Do not use a spacer or volume holding chamber with ProAir Digihaler. ProAir Digihaler does not need priming.
Using your ProAir Digihaler inhaler
Important: Make sure the red cap is closed before you start using your inhaler.
Step 1. Open
- Hold the inhaler upright and open the red cap fully until you feel and hear a “click”.
- Each time you open the red cap and it “clicks”, a dose of ProAir Digihaler is ready to be inhaled.
- Remember: For the correct use of ProAir Digihaler, hold the inhaler upright as you open the red cap.
Step 2. Inhale
- Before you inhale, breathe out (exhale) through your mouth and push as much air from your lungs as you can.
- Do not exhale into the inhaler mouthpiece.
- Put the mouthpiece in your mouth and close your lips tightly around it.
- Do not block the vent above the mouthpiece with your lips or fingers.
- Breathe in quickly and deeply through your mouth, to deliver the dose of medicine to your lungs.
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth.
- Hold your breath for about 10 seconds or for as long as you comfortably can.
- Your ProAir Digihaler Inhaler delivers your dose of medicine as a very fine powder that you may or may not taste or feel. Do not take an extra dose from the inhaler even if you do not taste or feel the medicine.
Step 3. Close
- Close the red cap firmly over the mouthpiece.
- Make sure you close the red cap after each inhalation so that the inhaler will be ready for your next dose.
- If you need another dose, close the red cap and then repeat steps 1-3.