User Reviews for ProAir HFA

ProAir HFA has an average rating of 3.4 out of 10 from a total of 61 ratings on Drugs.com. 21% of those users who reviewed ProAir HFA reported a positive effect, while 66% reported a negative effect.

Asthma, acute
COPD, Maintenance
Summary of ProAir HFA reviews 3.4 61 reviews

Reviews for ProAir HFA

NoPunIntendo · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 17, 2021

For Asthma, acute: “I am not sure why anyone's complaining about this inhaler brand. I've had asthma ever since I was about 6 months old and have been with ProAir since it's release. I was switched temporarily to Ventolin but was put back on ProAir ASAP after having an asthma attack after taking a puff from the Ventolin inhaler. My insurance made sure to let my doctor know to keep me on it and to not switch it without telling them or having them talk to me about it. It is the only inhaler that works for me. I also do not use the generic versions.”

Don March 14, 2021

For Asthma, acute: “ProAir has never worked well for me. It is albuterol just like Ventolin HFA, etc. But, I have heard from many that ProAir is not as effective due to a different type of propellant in it. Now, to me this makes little sense. The reason why makes little sense is that IF the propellant that has been changd from the product is "part" of what helps the treatment of an asthma attack, it (the propellant) should not be replaced by a different propellant. The propellant that helps treat asthma SHOULD THAN be considered as an active ingredient that TREATS asthma. Since propellants have not been studied or claimed to be a treatment, it leads me to believe there is some OTHER unfounded reason for the ProAir not to work as well as other inhalers. Why? BECAUSE ProAir and many other "emergency" inhalers contain the same active ingredient; albuterol. I rate ProAir a 3-4 in effectiveness. I would rate other emergency inhalers that contain the same active ingredient, albuterol, as a 9-10.”

Tired February 2, 2021

For Asthma, acute: “I like so many others here have had a very bad experience with pro air. I have bad allergies and so I will regularly need my inhaler when working. I used Ventolin for years, and it was great, no complaints, but like so many others, my insurance decided the be greedy and switched me over to ProAir. It tastes awful, first of all, always makes me gag, and second it causes my attacks to get worse! Supposedly my insurance covers it, but it is more than 3x that of any inhaler I've ever gotten! I've only had it for a couple months, but I will be very strongly requesting to my doctor and pharmacy that I go back to ventolin very soon.”

J733 June 22, 2020

For Asthma, acute: “I love the regular ProAir in the red plastic with white cap. I was given the generic ProAir in the weird half white half clear plastic casing with the weird red cap. The first thing I noticed is that it tastes disgusting. I nearly threw up the first time I took it. For the next 30 puffs I couldn’t take it without having a strong flavored drink to chase it or I’d gag and throw up. But the worst part is that the inhaler fell out of my purse and onto the floor two days ago and stopped working altogether. It may dispense half a puff or a quarter puff and then nothing.I took the canister out to clean it because I thought it was clogged but now when I press down on it comes out the hole where the cap locks in! What?! I pay $50 a month for this and now I can’t use it with 130 puffs left! I’m hoping I can just switch the canister into an old red ProAir chamber and it works. The generic design is crap.”

aconde01 · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

For Asthma, acute: “I have used ventolin for many years and find that it works very well. My insurance switched me from ventolin to pro air and it was horrible. My asthma attack became worse and I ended up in the ER. I could not breath at all. I told my doctor and she is trying to get me back on ventolin and it is a battle. The do not want to put me back on it. I guess I have to die before they see that pro air does not work!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I have had asthma since 1982 and I am a respiratory therapist. I have to used various inhalers and SVNs over many years. I've always thought the ProAir was awful but the Perrigo Albuterol, generic for ProAir, is the WORST. This inhaler is not safe to be used as a rescue inhaler. I believe that patients will flock to the ER because the inhaler gives NO relief. I had to buy a new inhaler within a couple days of this purchase because its THAT BAD. When I get refills now, I refuse to take this brand. Its absolutely useless and the taste so bad.”

LaserLady · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 25, 2019

For COPD, Acute: “I have been forced to use this horrible inhaler by my Insurance Company. They stopped offering anything except this useless inhaler. I WAS using Ventolin which worked great for me, but then got dropped. ProAir clogs constantly and delivers spotty doses if any. HATE this product - they must be giving the insurance companies a lot of kick-backs because it seems like most only offer this. I want my Ventolin back! I have a son-in-law who is from the Philippines. He had to make a trip back there a couple of months ago, so while he was there he picked up 20 Ventolin inhalers for me (which is sold over the counter there with no script required) for $10 each! We are getting so ripped off by the American pharma industry! Something needs to change!”

Eve · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

For Asthma, acute: “I have asthma for over 40 years. Pro- Air is the worse inhaler for any asthmatic. As with several others , insurance switched my Ventolin to this Pro- Air. When I needed it only made things worse during an attack. After giving this inhaler a try of 3 months- I explained what was happening and My Doctor made notes to make insurance company out me back to Ventolin.”

Lisa · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2020

For Asthma, acute: “Update: I went to the Perrigo site. At the "contact us" portion I gave my complaint regarding the taste, the low effectiveness and the problem with not being able to get the canister out to wash it. THEY CALLED ME!!! It was a great conversation. They were very kind, took a survey, and are refunding my copay. They are very much concerned, as this is their first launch of this product. Please join me in contacting them, so they can correct this product.”

Can't breathe · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 15, 2019

For Asthma, acute: “I used Proventil for over 40 years. One dose stopped my asthma attacks. My insurance is forcing me to use ProAir. It was slower acting and now it is no relief. I went from using Proventil, to ProAir plus 2 maintenance medicines and a nebulizer. Now I have to go to the emergency room to get relief because the ProAir still doesn't work hours later. Insurance is not saving money and they are risking lives.”

Anonymous September 11, 2019

For Asthma, acute: “This is the worst inhaler. I have occasional asthma attacks and need a rescue inhaler. I have used the Proair waited an hour and had to use it again. I was having to use my nebulizer to get any relief since this useless inhaler doesn't work. My doctor demanded the insurance company put me back on Ventolin. After one dose of Ventolin I had instant relief from my asthma attack. They need to get rid of proair.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2019

For Asthma, acute: “I would have rated Pro-Air as zero if it gave that option, as it is that useless. I am a health care provider and have found this issue with Pro-Air to be the case with most patients as well. My insurance company insists that this product be ordered instead of generic Ventolin, which works better by far. I asked my pharmacist why this was so and he stated that the insurance companies receive kickbacks from the pharmaceuticals now if the name brand is ordered. However, that comes out of the consumer's pocket!”

JJ October 9, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I absolutely, 100%, loathe this ProAir inhaler!!! Complete garbage. My insurance company tries to deny my Ventolin prescription (the inhaler that actually relieves my asthma symptoms) every year and tries to make me purchase this one instead instead. I honestly don't understand how Proair is still being sold, especially considering the negative reviews and comments regarding it or just the simple fact that it does not work.”

Katy · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2020

For Asthma, Maintenance: “First time using this inhaler, I noticed it did not dispense properly and after two puffs within an hour of using I had a horrible allergic reaction, my entire face was itching and red, Had to take a Benadryl, the next day I was still itching and inflamed. I never had this problem with the ProAir HFA inhaler.”

Really · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 16, 2018

For COPD, Acute: “I have to say that this inhaler is nothing but a joke, perpetrated by the manufacturer. First, the medicine is never effective! Second, the delivery system constantly clogs and you have to soak it and wait for it too dry. Last, the counter does not work right. More than half the time it just does not work because something is wrong with the delivery system and will not be replaced by the manufacturer! That they make you go without is a crime against every user! This product should be outlawed! This is a very poor inhaler! I do not recommend anyone to use this product. If your Doctor prescribes it ask for a different one! If I could have given a rating of minus 10 I would have!”

Spunky · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2019

For COPD, Acute: “I have Stage 4 COPD. I used Ventolin for several years until insurance company would no longer pay for it, I had to switch to Proair. What a waste of money. This rescue inhaler is a joke! This stuff is like using "NOTHING" at all. They need to take off the market ASAP before it kills someone who can not breathe. My Lung Doctor has to send a letter of "Medical Necessity" every year for me to be on it & them pay for my trusty Ventolin. Also Proair has "Ethanol" in it & needs to be taken off the market.”

HoneyB · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 15, 2021

For Asthma, Maintenance: “After using proair products I always get a yeast infection - vs using Ventolin. It doesn't seem to have the same effect as other inhalers either. The regular doses coming out are less effective than from a Ventolin inhaler for me.”

KB · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 15, 2020

For Asthma, acute: “this inhaler is supposed to be a rescue inhaler. But it is extremely dangerous because it probably is plugged when you might need it most. I was in my car when I had an attack and thank goodness I had an old one because this model was clogged and unable to rescue me!!!!!!!!!! It is horrible and could cause great harm!!!!”

Cami · Taken for 10 years or more September 26, 2018

For Asthma, acute: “I love my proair, but I do have many issues with faulty inhalers. I am constantly having to clean mine out because it will just not press down anymore and get clogged up quite easily. Does anyone else have this problem?”

Mariahsmomma · Taken for 10 years or more April 12, 2016

For Asthma, acute: “If I could give the Pro Air HFA inhaler a zero rating I would. They are very expensive and clog after just a few puffs so your money is down the drain. I have a whole drawer full of them still mostly full but clogged. I have tried rinsing the holder with hot water and letting them dry completely (even used a blow dryer) and they will work for a few more puffs then clog again. My insurance limits on which albuterol inhaler I am allowed to get and Express Scripts pushes the Pro Air HFA. I am sure it is because we have to keep ordering to replace clogged ones.”

UnhappyCamper · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2020

For Asthma, acute: “Like others on this page I have experienced the clogging issue. After ONLY A FEW puffs the device clogs. I called the company and they had me do a cleaning procedure which did help but having a life saving device clog so easily is unacceptable. They really need to fix this design. | I have NEVER had a problem with the TEVA brand (red with white cap) but the Perrigo brand is horrible.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more April 25, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I use an inhaled cortical inhaler daily for maintenance but for those occasional times I need a rescue inhaler, the ONLY ONE that works is Ventolin HFA - 1 puff and almost instant relief. I could suck up half the cannister of ProAir HFA and still not be able to breath. This stuff is awful and my insurance company forces it on me. Reading all of the terrible reviews of this product from actual users like myself, I can only conclude that ProAir HFA is giving substantial kick-backs to insurance companies to get them to force this rubbish product on subscribers.”

Divine1 · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 19, 2013

For COPD, Acute: “I have been using this medicine for many years and it really works for me. I walk everywhere, and going up hills it really comes in handy. I however do not like the new design, it tells you how much you have used, which is the good part, but the bad part is it clogs up too easily. The old one clogs as well, but takes longer to do it. I personally have not noticed any side effect of this medicine. The old albuterol inhalers made my heart race, this one does not.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Why is this still on the market? The inhaler as I already did complain about years ago, does NOT puff adequately at all into the lungs or even the throat, it barely puffs into the mouth! Not enough medicine gets to the back of the throat or lungs!!! This is a weak inhaler - take this off the market!!”

Hawkeye August 24, 2018

For Asthma, acute: “Due to weather and humidity along with smoke in the air ended up with breathing problems. Used a Prepair Inhaler DID NOT WORK. My wife found a Provental Inhaler in her purse (carries for me in case if Asthma problem) INSTANT RELIEF with the Provental Inhaler. I think 2nd class item Pro Air needs to be taken off the market!!”

TechieB · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2020

For Asthma, acute: “Pro Air inhaler works but it clogs constantly. If you can rinse the plastic inhaler with hot water, shake it let it air dry and waste one does, it starts to work again. However, it is obvious that this can be dangerous. If the patient is in need of the medication and not near any hot water, it could cause a problem as you would not know that it's clogged until you try to use it.”

Awat · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “This inhaler is good when it works. After 60 puffs the inhaler clogs and will not spray anymore. It's not a good thing when you have chronic asthma and you are not sure if your fast acting inhaler is going to work when you need it. I will be talking to the doctor and insurance about switching to Ventolin again”

Leo · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: “ProAir is the worst inhaler ever made. My job's rx plan used to cover Ventolin and Dulera. I used the Dulera once in the morning and once at night. Ventolin in emergency situations. The Dulera helped manage my asthma. When I did need to use the Ventolin inhaler, it delivered a strong blast that opened up my airways. As mentioned before, my job's rx plan stopped covering it. So I had to use my inhaler more often. Then they stopped covering the Ventolin. When I had to get the ProAir, I noticed the difference right away. The blast was very weak. Plus the container gets clogged 8/10 times. My son has asthma as well and he has autism. What is one of us or both have to use this cheap inhaler and nothing comes out? I'll you what would happen......we wouldn't be able to breath because the damn thing doesn't work. How can this device be clogged so much? Why is this inhaler even allowed to be sold? We all should band together and sue the makers of ProAir.”