User Reviews for ProAir HFA

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about ProAir HFA.

COPD, Maintenance

Not Listed / Other

1 review
Summary of ProAir HFA reviews 6.6 20 reviews

Reviews for ProAir HFA

For Asthma, acute "Just started using this one particularly, but every brand of MDI has similar issues people are complaining of here. I saw lots of reviews about it clogging and being useless. Just thought I'd recommend what I've learned to others to fix this problem. If you put warm/hot water in a cup and let it soak for a few seconds.. (I'll even shake it around in the water to help clean it) then dry it on a window sill or somewhere warm. You'll find that it will unclog the dispenser and is good as new (as long as it is dry before you use it again). Happy breathing. Xoxo."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "Every time my daughter & I use this about 40% through it starts malfunctioning and the medicine doesn't come out. Our insurance has forced use to get this & when we don't get the medicine we need, we get sick, but the insurance doesn't care. it is very frustrating."

tickmenot (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, acute "I must take numerous puffs in order to get any relief from ProAir."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, acute "Used proventil for 20+ yrs. Proair was substituted once many years ago and received NO relief. Cigna stopped covering provenil in 2017 and now my only option is proair. Have been unable to breathe for over a week and finally went to Dr for a shot. I STILL CANT BREATHE!!! "

ICANTBREATHECANYOU June 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "Horrible and dangerous. Always clogs. I have had to suffer through many mild attacks because of this "rescue inhaler". Now, if the pharmacy gives me this, I just send it back and get the original brand"

Taynkal (taken for 10 years or more) April 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, acute "I have had the last 6 inhalers clogged. I still have medicine in them and they will not work. What is going on? It is undependable! Asthma is a condition that cannot wait!"

Unhappy customer November 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchiectasis "Did not work at all for me ! I was on for one week..."

Peg44 October 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "I used three medications for my asthma but it seemed like they're not effective anymore. This medication was prescribed to me at the Urgent Clinic and I loved it. I can breath freely and I can walk or go upstairs without having to breath heavily and feeling tired. Was going to give 10 pts but the puffer clogs. I wish they could do something about it because it's kind of expensive. It really works for me and I don't suffer any side effect, thank God."

GreemLynch June 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For COPD, Acute "Inhaler clogs and does not deliver meds. Pharmacist says they work and gave them back to me."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, acute "If I could give the Pro Air HFA inhaler a zero rating I would. They are very expensive and clog after just a few puffs so your money is down the drain. I have a whole drawer full of them still mostly full but clogged. I have tried rinsing the holder with hot water and letting them dry completely (even used a blow dryer) and they will work for a few more puffs then clog again. My insurance limits on which albuterol inhaler I am allowed to get and Express Scripts pushes the Pro Air HFA. I am sure it is because we have to keep ordering to replace clogged ones."

Mariahsmomma (taken for 10 years or more) April 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "After about 20 puffs, it clogs up. Useless after that."

Babbuddy February 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchiectasis "Received coupon for a free trial pharmacy will not accept the offer. Out of pocket expense too much..."

can't breathe (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have been using ProAir HFA for many years now & I highly recommend it. It works when I need it & I don't have any bad side effects. Sometimes I get dry mouth after using it, but I can't complain since it does its job so well."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 10 years or more) February 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I get chest colds and asthmatic symptoms in the beginning of the winter for my entire life. This inhaler works better for me than the older ones I'm glad I have it even if I only need it once or twice a year..this is by far the best inhaler I have ever used"

Anonymous December 12, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "Too expensive. I use sparingly and often have to go without when I can't afford the high cost of the refill since my insurance doesn't cover it."

MichelleKennedy (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, acute "I'm 53 and have had acute bronchial asthma my entire life. ProAir is by far the least effective and most problematic delivery system for albuterol I've experienced. While the inhalers are supposed to have 200 metered dosages, they fail through leakage and clogging. We realistically average 50-75 uses per inhaler. Air travel almost always destroys usability. Because of clogging and priming, actual dosage is inconsistent with this particular brand. It is a health hazard, a deeply flawed delivery system that endangers patients. DO NOT RELY upon a single inhaler if you use ProAir as even "full" and "brand new" units are prone to immediate failure."

DurbusTweeb2 November 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "I could not be without Pro-Air. I take it with me everywhere I go, it works very fast and is a lot less expensive than my other inhalers."

prestburycheshire November 22, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For COPD, Acute "I have been using this medicine for many years and it really works for me. I walk everywhere, and going up hills it really comes in handy. I however do not like the new design, it tells you how much you have used, which is the good part, but the bad part is it clogs up too easily. The old one clogs as well, but takes longer to do it. I personally have not noticed any side effect of this medicine. The old albuterol inhalers made my heart race, this one does not."

Divine1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 19, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "This delivers the medication in powder form in a more environmentally friendly way, but seems thus also to have diminished effectiveness. Cost is also creeping up over the last 24 months (now $43 per unit, roughly a 23% increase overall in 2 years). It is perhaps the best there is, but no substitute for the previous modes of delivery, and a marginal drug value."

Anonymous January 3, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "Improved breathing 50% the frist time I used it."

Anonymous June 15, 2009