User Reviews for ProAir HFA to treat Asthma, Maintenance

ProAir HFA has an average rating of 3.3 out of 10 from a total of 22 ratings for the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance. 18% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 68% reported a negative effect.

ProAir HFA Rating Summary

3.3/10 average rating

Compare all 71 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for ProAir HFA

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

“I have had asthma since 1982 and I am a respiratory therapist. I have to used various inhalers and SVNs over many years. I've always thought the ProAir was awful but the Perrigo Albuterol, generic for ProAir, is the WORST. This inhaler is not safe to be used as a rescue inhaler. I believe that patients will flock to the ER because the inhaler gives NO relief. I had to buy a new inhaler within a couple days of this purchase because its THAT BAD. When I get refills now, I refuse to take this brand. Its absolutely useless and the taste so bad.”

JJ October 9, 2019

“I absolutely, 100%, loathe this ProAir inhaler!!! Complete garbage. My insurance company tries to deny my Ventolin prescription (the inhaler that actually relieves my asthma symptoms) every year and tries to make me purchase this one instead instead. I honestly don't understand how Proair is still being sold, especially considering the negative reviews and comments regarding it or just the simple fact that it does not work.”

Katy · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2020

“First time using this inhaler, I noticed it did not dispense properly and after two puffs within an hour of using I had a horrible allergic reaction, my entire face was itching and red, Had to take a Benadryl, the next day I was still itching and inflamed. I never had this problem with the ProAir HFA inhaler.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more April 25, 2018

“I use an inhaled cortical inhaler daily for maintenance but for those occasional times I need a rescue inhaler, the ONLY ONE that works is Ventolin HFA - 1 puff and almost instant relief. I could suck up half the cannister of ProAir HFA and still not be able to breath. This stuff is awful and my insurance company forces it on me. Reading all of the terrible reviews of this product from actual users like myself, I can only conclude that ProAir HFA is giving substantial kick-backs to insurance companies to get them to force this rubbish product on subscribers.”

HoneyB · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 15, 2021

“After using proair products I always get a yeast infection - vs using Ventolin. It doesn't seem to have the same effect as other inhalers either. The regular doses coming out are less effective than from a Ventolin inhaler for me.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2018

“Why is this still on the market? The inhaler as I already did complain about years ago, does NOT puff adequately at all into the lungs or even the throat, it barely puffs into the mouth! Not enough medicine gets to the back of the throat or lungs!!! This is a weak inhaler - take this off the market!!”

Awat · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2019

“This inhaler is good when it works. After 60 puffs the inhaler clogs and will not spray anymore. It's not a good thing when you have chronic asthma and you are not sure if your fast acting inhaler is going to work when you need it. I will be talking to the doctor and insurance about switching to Ventolin again”

Leo · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2018

“ProAir is the worst inhaler ever made. My job's rx plan used to cover Ventolin and Dulera. I used the Dulera once in the morning and once at night. Ventolin in emergency situations. The Dulera helped manage my asthma. When I did need to use the Ventolin inhaler, it delivered a strong blast that opened up my airways. As mentioned before, my job's rx plan stopped covering it. So I had to use my inhaler more often. Then they stopped covering the Ventolin. When I had to get the ProAir, I noticed the difference right away. The blast was very weak. Plus the container gets clogged 8/10 times. My son has asthma as well and he has autism. What is one of us or both have to use this cheap inhaler and nothing comes out? I'll you what would happen......we wouldn't be able to breath because the damn thing doesn't work. How can this device be clogged so much? Why is this inhaler even allowed to be sold? We all should band together and sue the makers of ProAir.”

JSea · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2018

“3rd time getting this inhaler and it’s the 3rd time ProAir stopped administering the medicine early. This last time is the worst. Less than a week with 175 counters and it’s empty. Anyone have this???”

Anonymous January 3, 2011

“This delivers the medication in powder form in a more environmentally friendly way, but seems thus also to have diminished effectiveness. Cost is also creeping up over the last 24 months (now $43 per unit, roughly a 23% increase overall in 2 years). It is perhaps the best there is, but no substitute for the previous modes of delivery, and a marginal drug value.”

Prekteacher April 3, 2019

“This is absolutely the WORST inhaler I have ever used. I have tried several times over a period of several years and I always have the same terrible experience. The delivery system simple does not release the medicine for me. It takes several puffs before I can sense any medicine is even coming out. The pharmacy says it’s the same as Ventolin HFA but that has not been my experience .”

JoJo · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 30, 2020

“Do not rely on this product, it does not work and nothing comes out of the dispenser and all you do is waste pumps. My pharmacist tried to get it to work to no avail. I called the manufacturer, TEVA and their customer service rep told me to rinse it under warm water, nope still cannot dispense anything. This is my 4th. dispenser and they are all defective. I went back to using Ventolin which my insurance doesn't cover, but at least when I need a rescue inhaler, this one works. DO NOT BUY - terrible product.”

Taynkal · Taken for 10 years or more April 12, 2017

“Horrible and dangerous. Always clogs. I have had to suffer through many mild attacks because of this "rescue inhaler". Now, if the pharmacy gives me this, I just send it back and get the original brand”

Rosey55 March 22, 2019

“This inhaler is the worst that I have used so far. My insurance will not cover Ventolin unless I try some other brands first. I had an attack the other day, and went to use it. It didn't work, which I take part of the blame because I hadn't primed it that week. I went ahead and used another inhaler and was able to get relief. Then I cleaned the proair inhaler with water, and tried to prime it , and it didn't help that much. It's just too weak. I am now trying another brand, and if that doesn't work I'm going to request Ventolin.”

GreemLynch June 23, 2016

“I used three medications for my asthma but it seemed like they're not effective anymore. This medication was prescribed to me at the Urgent Clinic and I loved it. I can breath freely and I can walk or go upstairs without having to breath heavily and feeling tired. Was going to give 10 pts but the puffer clogs. I wish they could do something about it because it's kind of expensive. It really works for me and I don't suffer any side effect, thank God.”

tickmenot · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2017

“Every time my daughter & I use this about 40% through it starts malfunctioning and the medicine doesn't come out. Our insurance has forced use to get this & when we don't get the medicine we need, we get sick, but the insurance doesn't care. it is very frustrating.”

mig · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2018

“I've been using ProAir HFA on and off throughout the course of maintenance for asthma. I fine it works well and it does get clogged from time to time, if that happens all you have to do is take the aerosol bottle out, locate where the small opening is at which the spray comes out of on the red container then run it under warm water, dry it some where in the sun and put the aerosol bottle back in and it's ready to use again - it does have to been dry before you use it. I keep an old clean one ready to go if my current one blocks”

Brad is breathing fine. · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 28, 2018

“I specifically asked my Dr. to switch me off of the Ventolin inhaler to the ProAir inhaler. The Ventolin inhaler seems like it does not give a big enough puff, whilst the ProAir inhaler gives me a smooth problem free puff without having to take a second one.”

~*Melanie*~ · Taken for 10 years or more February 2, 2016

“I have been using ProAir HFA for many years now & I highly recommend it. It works when I need it & I don't have any bad side effects. Sometimes I get dry mouth after using it, but I can't complain since it does its job so well.”

Jaz · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2021

“Apparently I’m not the only one who has experienced the disappointment of being forced to switch from Ventolin to Proair by insurance. I’ve used Ventolin since I was young for chronic asthma. I used to use Ventolin once a day. The Proair tastes disgusting and it actually makes my lungs feel worse immediately! It then works but then I feel like I have to use it again in a few hours. It’s making my lungs worse. I’m going to have to pay for Ventolin or somehow appeal to my insurance company to cover it.”

Bankas · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 5, 2021

“I’ve been using ProAir some years. I found that ventolin works but not as well for me. My insurance company switch me to a generic. It was terrible. I’d get 20 puffs and it would clog. Ran it under the water, it still didn’t work. After 3 canisters wasted I called my insurance company and let them know the danger they put me in by forcing the generic on me. I called the pharmacist and told him I need prosit and would pay the difference. Insurance to heed after he called them and told them about the canisters I had returned. Got ProAir and they covered the cost.”

Ace · Taken for 10 years or more May 17, 2020

“I HATE the new inhaler. The canister is fine but the new outer part is HORRIBLE!!! It doesn’t let a full pump out & it gets clogged. It waste so much of the medicine & it is horrible.”

Christine · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 13, 2019

“With the ProAir HFA I have found after using this product, it runs out, when there should be 30-34 doses left.”

Heideggar May 23, 2018

“I love being awake for three days during allergy season because I can't breath. It's the best! Almost as great as the $60 I'll never see again for wasting on this placebo!”

Babbuddy February 14, 2016

“After about 20 puffs, it clogs up. Useless after that.”