User Reviews for Ventolin

Ventolin has an average rating of 4.8 out of 10 from a total of 33 ratings on Drugs.com. 33% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 47% reported a negative effect.

Asthma, acute
Bronchiectasis
Summary of Ventolin reviews 4.8 33 reviews

Reviews for Ventolin

Bec · Taken for 10 years or more July 20, 2021

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I have used ventolin for around 35 years and since the counter was introduced, I no longer find my ventolin puffer effective and flare ups are now common. It is like the doses are smaller and I often need additional doses for relief. Would be great if we had the choice to buy either counter or counter free versions.”

Jazabee · Taken for 10 years or more May 17, 2021

For Asthma, acute: “I have used ventolin since 1986 successfully. Since introducing the meter dose to the product I find ventolin not effective, my voice has become husky the medication does not doing the job anymore it sits on my throat . I have spoken to other suffers of asthma and a few have said the same. I have no choice but to change product after all these years. I can’t afford to risk a fatal asthma attack plus I noticed asthma deteriorating even with preventive medication being taken. I hope the manufacturer will look into this problem.”

KathyFt · Taken for 10 years or more June 30, 2021

For Asthma, acute: “Since the introduction of the new metered dose both my son (27yrs) and myself find the delivery is no longer the same as the predecessor. We feel we are using more to get the same effect because two puffs no longer gives the same relief. I have no idea why companies seek to make improvements without adequate testing on those who require the medication because from those I have asked directly, no one was happy with the so called improvement.”

Mac · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 4, 2020

For COPD, Maintenance: “Express scripts gave me the VENTOLIN inhaler instead of PROAIR, the design of the inhaler did not work as well for me. It seems like the time (1/100th of a second?) that the medication is delivered is too short to "catch" during an inhale. I called my doctor and changed back to PROAIR.”

breathless · Taken for 10 years or more August 2, 2021

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Omg! I thought I was the only one. I only started googling out of frustration. I usually wake up during my sleep feeling breathless but I'm not getting a sufficient dose of ventolin with this couter. I didn't think anything of it at first but now that I've used it for some time, I hate it. I'm having to use so many puffs and still not getting enough and then panic because I'm stressing and can't breath. This new ventolin is ineffective and whoever came up with the idea should be sacked. I don't think the creators realise that when you're short of breath, the first metered dose doesn't go past your throat and it's the 2nd puff that gets down to help relieve you. I found the other comments very helpful and will be looking to get an alternative without the counter.”

Karen · Taken for 10 years or more June 24, 2020

For Asthma, acute: “I've been using Ventolin for 25 years and NOW its causing dizziness. It also doesn't work like it used to. Ive noticed and clearly others have noticed that theres a problem with these inhalers. GSK needs to be investigated. I don't get these effects from a nebulizer.”

Kim · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 27, 2021

For Asthma, acute: “My son has had asthma for 12 years and the new metered ventolin is useless after about 100-120 doses, you can see the difference in a new inhaler and one that has been used. The pressure is low and less medicine is delivered. We now throw out the new metered ventolins after 100-120 doses. I can’t believe that they have haven’t noticed the difference and wish were able to choose the non metered ventolin. Very disappointing and a waste of money.”

Gigi May 29, 2018

For Asthma, acute: “Hi- I just wanted to add my two cents to the conversation regarding Ventolin. Ventolin does NOT help me at all when I have an asthma attack. I use Pro-Air and though it is not great it at least helps me to get a breath and breathe. Yes, I've been told numerous times they both contain Albuterol. All I can figure is the inert ingredients are not the same or possibly where they are manufactured, ventolin (UK), Proair (US). I surely wish Ventolin (salbutamol) helped me, it's the only inhaler my insurance covers/pays for and Proair costs me $70 a month to not go to hospital. Sometimes ginger tea helps me till I can get a refill. Hope this review helps someone.”

Ozzthegreat March 15, 2013

For Asthma, acute: “I can't believe I suffered so long before I went to the doctor and he prescribed Ventolin to me. It has made my breathing so much easier. The only negatives at all is sometimes I'm dizzy for a while after using it, but that's to be expected.”

Vera · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2020

For Asthma, acute: “Teva-Salbutamol or Generic ventolin is dangerous. I had to take one because ventolin is currently gone. What a horrible product. I'm using 8 puffs to get the same relief from the regular ventolin which also doesn't work as well anymore. I cannot believe this product is allowed on the market.”

anonymous704 · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 24, 2013

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I have been using ventolin going on for about five years now and I have had no complaints. It works within about fifteen minutes and really helps me breath better. Though when it does get to the end of the canister it doesn't seem to be as effective.”

Slim January 8, 2019

For COPD, Acute: “Have been on Pro Air and my insurance company did not want to provide it to me anymore. The provided Ventolin and from the first time I use it I could tell it was not the same. Does Not Work. When you need a rescue inhaler you want to get relief in minutes not twenty minutes later. Most time I had to use four to five puffs and still no relief. They say it is the same medication but one works and the other does not. Pro Air # 1.”

5MileRunner · Taken for 10 years or more January 4, 2015

For Asthma, acute: “Asthma for 40 years. Ventolin/Salbutamol works quickly and well to relieve an attack. Severe attacks respond to much higher doses in a nebulizer. It does come with erratic heart rates however, so should not be over used and should be accompanied by a corticosteroid inhaler like Becotide. (It is ridiculous that both Ventolin and Becotide had to be rejiggered to not use CFC gases for propulsion. Neither has been as good since).”

Annie's Momma December 9, 2010

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I use it, have for a real long time. I am on maintenance, I don't need one daily, have in the past and know that I may again. Well either maintenance or regular it has always been a big part of my life and it works very well. Where would I be without it?”

Gennie · Taken for 10 years or more December 30, 2019

For Asthma, acute: “I have been using this product for 35 years. It's quality has gone down hill ever since the govs outlawed CFCs. It is not the same formulation. I have also noticed inconsistencies with the product. One time I can get one that works great and another time I need 6 puffs just to get a little relief. This company needs to be examined by health Canada. Pharmacists have told me that this product isnt what it used to be.”

Angel · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2018

For Asthma, acute: “Wow. I’m completely surprised by the reviews on this. I think it goes to show every human being is different. Ventolin does nearly nothing for me. I was looking around to see how others felt. Mind blown.”

My chest felt light as air · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2017

For Asthma, Maintenance: “After taking this for the first time (prescribed by my doctor due to coughing and wheezing from the flu) I can't even begin to tell you how amazing I felt. I have always felt a little tight / heavy in the chest. I always got out of breath quicker than other people around me. When I took this - I felt like years of bricks were lifted off my chest. I had once thought that the heaviness in my chest was my heart - but now I know all along it was my lungs and that I probably had undiagnosed allergies I'd been living with and ignoring. What a relief ! It began working within 5 minutes.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more January 25, 2021

For Asthma, acute: “Ventolin does not have an after taste, & as long as you keep an eye on the expiration date, it is effective most of the time. When it's not, I usually need a prescription for additional steroids, & do use a maintenance inhaler for regular treatment to prevent attacks.”

diceable · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2016

For Asthma, acute: “I was admitted to hospital for an asthma attack. Had never taken any kind of breathing medication before, even though I'd had trouble with breathing (shortness of breath, tight chest, can't take deep breaths) for a while. I was given Ventolin. I didn't respond to the first few puffs through the inhaler and chamber spacer, so they gave me burst therapy, which involved taking 4-5 puffs every 20 minutes for 2 hours. After the first 40 minutes, I was shaking like crazy, couldn't sit still. This shaking persisted until I went to sleep that night. The ventolin inhaler they gave me DOESN'T help - only a very large dose of ventolin seems to ease the symptoms. Overall, good in high doses for severe asthma but comes with side effects.”

Jacqueline · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Does not work have had this for months. I take it when I suffer from breathing on my bad days, 2-3 times those days but notice no effect. In the docs office they have given me rescue inhalers that work for me but this is what my insurance covers, I plan on trying to change when I go back.”

Sally Quindo · Taken for less than 1 month November 24, 2017

For Asthma, acute: “Ventolin is a good product actually it makes me feel relieved whenever asthma hits me, I take 2-3 puffs and after a short span of time, I can breathe easily already. But I would like a Ventolin that doesn't need to be refilled because it so pricey that sometimes I have to sacrifice some things in order to prevent my asthma from hitting me from time to time. I would really appreciate it if someones innovates this kind of product.”

Tracy · Taken for 10 years or more July 27, 2021

For Asthma, acute: “I find it very peculiar that so many are now saying that this drug isn't as effective as it used to be and it causes problems. I have used ventolin for 25 years. It NEVER made me dizzy. Now in the last 2 years there has been a warning label for dizziness. Now I get dizzy . GSK needs to be investigated..Something is very wrong here..”

gr8kate · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2013

For COPD, Acute: “I was prescribed for acute COPD. Since I've been using the inhaler I have had less flare-ups. I am able to breathe a lot better.”

Anonymous July 18, 2009

For Bronchospasm Prophylaxis: “First time I experienced a heart arrhythmia was following its use and stopped taking using medicine.”

mariotejas February 2, 2011

For COPD, Maintenance: “It works.”