User Reviews for Albuterol to treat Asthma, acute

Also known as: ProAir HFA, Ventolin, Ventolin HFA, Proventil HFA, ProAir RespiClick, ProAir Digihaler AccuNeb Vospire ER

Albuterol has an average rating of 2.8 out of 10 from a total of 151 ratings for the treatment of Asthma, acute. 17% of those users who reviewed Albuterol reported a positive effect, while 77% reported a negative effect.

Albuterol Rating Summary

2.8/10 average rating

Compare all 47 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, acute.

Reviews for Albuterol

Jazabee · Taken for 10 years or more May 17, 2021

Ventolin (albuterol): “I have used ventolin since 1986 successfully. Since introducing the meter dose to the product I find ventolin not effective, my voice has become husky the medication does not doing the job anymore it sits on my throat . I have spoken to other suffers of asthma and a few have said the same. I have no choice but to change product after all these years. I can’t afford to risk a fatal asthma attack plus I noticed asthma deteriorating even with preventive medication being taken. I hope the manufacturer will look into this problem.”

NoPunIntendo · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 17, 2021

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I am not sure why anyone's complaining about this inhaler brand. I've had asthma ever since I was about 6 months old and have been with ProAir since it's release. I was switched temporarily to Ventolin but was put back on ProAir ASAP after having an asthma attack after taking a puff from the Ventolin inhaler. My insurance made sure to let my doctor know to keep me on it and to not switch it without telling them or having them talk to me about it. It is the only inhaler that works for me. I also do not use the generic versions.”

Noah April 8, 2021

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “i personally have had a much better experience than most people with this inhaler - I don't find it difficult to breathe in the powder at all (maybe they changed something because I only started it less than a year ago?) works better than the hfa inhaler I used to use in terms of helping my breathing and doesn't make my heart rate increase, or make me shaky or anxious, which is esp useful when you already have anxiety.”

J733 June 22, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I love the regular ProAir in the red plastic with white cap. I was given the generic ProAir in the weird half white half clear plastic casing with the weird red cap. The first thing I noticed is that it tastes disgusting. I nearly threw up the first time I took it. For the next 30 puffs I couldn’t take it without having a strong flavored drink to chase it or I’d gag and throw up. But the worst part is that the inhaler fell out of my purse and onto the floor two days ago and stopped working altogether. It may dispense half a puff or a quarter puff and then nothing.I took the canister out to clean it because I thought it was clogged but now when I press down on it comes out the hole where the cap locks in! What?! I pay $50 a month for this and now I can’t use it with 130 puffs left! I’m hoping I can just switch the canister into an old red ProAir chamber and it works. The generic design is crap.”

aconde01 · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I have used ventolin for many years and find that it works very well. My insurance switched me from ventolin to pro air and it was horrible. My asthma attack became worse and I ended up in the ER. I could not breath at all. I told my doctor and she is trying to get me back on ventolin and it is a battle. The do not want to put me back on it. I guess I have to die before they see that pro air does not work!”

Eve · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I have asthma for over 40 years. Pro- Air is the worse inhaler for any asthmatic. As with several others , insurance switched my Ventolin to this Pro- Air. When I needed it only made things worse during an attack. After giving this inhaler a try of 3 months- I explained what was happening and My Doctor made notes to make insurance company out me back to Ventolin.”

Asthma Allergy Nurse · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2018

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “I've been a nurse with a private asthma and allergy practice for nearly 4 years, now. I have also used the ProAir RespiClick device for my reactive airway symptoms to determine why my patients are complaining that they aren't experiencing any symptom relief with it. I have no idea how the ProAir RespiClick even made it through trials to be approved for patient use. This device is only activated if the patient is able to inhale forcefully and deeply enough to cause the powder to be released and inhaled. In the event of an asthmatic episode, the patient is already struggling to breathe deeply/forcefully, hence their urgent need for relief. If someone can't breathe, it makes no sense that their lifesaving medication won't work unless their lung function isn't compromised. That would be like asking someone who is choking on food to swallow a pill to dislodge the food and save their life. No common sense here, manufacturers.”

Lisa · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “Update: I went to the Perrigo site. At the "contact us" portion I gave my complaint regarding the taste, the low effectiveness and the problem with not being able to get the canister out to wash it. THEY CALLED ME!!! It was a great conversation. They were very kind, took a survey, and are refunding my copay. They are very much concerned, as this is their first launch of this product. Please join me in contacting them, so they can correct this product.”

KC April 28, 2020

“Perrigo generic albuterol.... horrible. Canister cannot be removed to clean mouthpiece, plastic canister guard is in the way of use of the product, and hardly anything comes out. I take it for Seasonal allergic wheezing ”

Can't breathe · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 15, 2019

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I used Proventil for over 40 years. One dose stopped my asthma attacks. My insurance is forcing me to use ProAir. It was slower acting and now it is no relief. I went from using Proventil, to ProAir plus 2 maintenance medicines and a nebulizer. Now I have to go to the emergency room to get relief because the ProAir still doesn't work hours later. Insurance is not saving money and they are risking lives.”

Anonymous September 11, 2019

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “This is the worst inhaler. I have occasional asthma attacks and need a rescue inhaler. I have used the Proair waited an hour and had to use it again. I was having to use my nebulizer to get any relief since this useless inhaler doesn't work. My doctor demanded the insurance company put me back on Ventolin. After one dose of Ventolin I had instant relief from my asthma attack. They need to get rid of proair.”

Lola · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2020

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “Neither myself or the pharmacist could get anything out of this inhaler. We put it on a black surface, click the inhaler and banged it on the black counter and absolutely no powder or mist came out. We did the black surface test after I took the thing back because I could get NOTHING out of it.”

Deb · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “This new inhaler is terrible. Just ask the doctor for my old inhaler back. Even worse. My insurance insists I use this new one and doesn’t cover my old style inhaler. Gonna have to pay more so I can breathe. Terrible idea.”

Anonymous July 30, 2020

“A few months ago the pharmacy started giving me the Perrigo Albuterol inhaler instead of the ventolin. The first one would not dispense properly and I needed to rely on my nebulizer for relief. I purchased a second one and it was just as bad. It is also VERY difficult to dispense and clean. I called the company and they had the pharmacy replace the two I purchased with 2 ventolin inhalers. With my most recent refill they gave me another Perrigo and it is just as bad. Someone could die if they had to rely on this for a bad attack. I’m just lucky I have a nebulizer available”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2019

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I would have rated Pro-Air as zero if it gave that option, as it is that useless. I am a health care provider and have found this issue with Pro-Air to be the case with most patients as well. My insurance company insists that this product be ordered instead of generic Ventolin, which works better by far. I asked my pharmacist why this was so and he stated that the insurance companies receive kickbacks from the pharmaceuticals now if the name brand is ordered. However, that comes out of the consumer's pocket!”

Echo7777 · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

“My most recent prescription they gave me Perrigo Albuterol Sulfate ( normally I get the Teva ) the Perrigo design is very odd . Cannot clean it properly . And the taste is horrible . Not sure if it’s allergies (it’s spring ) but it doesn’t seem To open my airways as well as other brands . I have had it two days and asked pharmacy to please get me a Teva one . I have to pay out of pocket for it but I can’t use this Perrigo one . It’s worth the money to have an inhaler I know that works for me”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “Who designed this thing? You have absolutely no idea if you’re getting medicine or not. For a device you rely on to save your life, you just need to believe that maybe it worked, maybe it didn’t? And when you’re already short of breath, sucking hard to get the medicine out is not really an option. On the flip side, it makes you want to keep giving yourself dose after dose after dose because there’s no indication whatsoever that you’re ever getting any medicine. Horrible horrible product!!”

Ckdk2l · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

“The generic albuterol version by Perrigo is AWFUL! The holder is awkward, the cap is hard to get off, the canister won't come out to clean, the dosage is weak and ineffective, and it leaves a horrible taste in your mouth. If an emergency arose, I'd die before I could get the cap off. Miss my Pro Air inhaler which I've used for years, but insurance will now only cover the generic. This product NEEDS to be recalled. How did this medication even get FDA approval.”

Dee · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2021

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “I was switch from my pro air to the albuteral respiclick. I will tell you now I think it is one of the worst I have ever used. I wake in the morning needing relief ASAP and respiclick sends me down a nightmarish road.”

Unbeliever · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 24, 2020

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “I ditto every negative response to the use of this product. I thought I was using it wrong or something was wrong with me. The people who stated whoever made it has no clue what it’s like to have to suck in when you have an attack, is totally correct. Did they even have product testing and trials before putting in the market. What about the FDA quality control???”

Jmiller July 29, 2020

“I have had pretty bad asthma for years and years. In the past 3 months my insurance decided that the Perrigo generic Proair is what they will help cover. This inhaler is absolutely horrible. The plastic dispenser is the worst design ever and darn near impossible to remove the medicine canister. Hardly anything comes out when I need to use it, and most of the time I can actually hear that it is clogged, so nothing at all comes out. More than half the actual medication is just wasted. When any inhalation does come out, I need to use 2-3 times the dose to really get what one dose should be giving me. This inhaler should NOT have been approved by the FDA. RIDICULOUS.”

Wheezy in the City · Taken for 10 years or more July 29, 2020

“I call this the rocketship inhaler, and it is the worst inhaler I have ever owned (my asthma has been a nuisance for 37 years, so I know inhalers). The medicine tastes like onions, and it does not relieve my severe asthma very well. During attacks, I need 4 to 5 puffs of this inhaler whereas, with a real ProAir, I may need only two puffs and sometimes will clear with just one puff. A real ProAir also keeps me symptom-free much much longer. Yes, it is nice to save money, but saving doesn't matter to me if I'm dead because my rescue inhaler never opened my airways back up. The rocketship also broke, and as many did, I yanked the cannister out, but I put it in an old red ProAir inhaler "jacket," which worked for me.”

KB · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 15, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “this inhaler is supposed to be a rescue inhaler. But it is extremely dangerous because it probably is plugged when you might need it most. I was in my car when I had an attack and thank goodness I had an old one because this model was clogged and unable to rescue me!!!!!!!!!! It is horrible and could cause great harm!!!!”

Karen · Taken for 10 years or more June 24, 2020

Ventolin (albuterol): “I've been using Ventolin for 25 years and NOW its causing dizziness. It also doesn't work like it used to. Ive noticed and clearly others have noticed that theres a problem with these inhalers. GSK needs to be investigated. I don't get these effects from a nebulizer.”

Cami · Taken for 10 years or more September 26, 2018

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I love my proair, but I do have many issues with faulty inhalers. I am constantly having to clean mine out because it will just not press down anymore and get clogged up quite easily. Does anyone else have this problem?”

Mariahsmomma · Taken for 10 years or more April 12, 2016

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “If I could give the Pro Air HFA inhaler a zero rating I would. They are very expensive and clog after just a few puffs so your money is down the drain. I have a whole drawer full of them still mostly full but clogged. I have tried rinsing the holder with hot water and letting them dry completely (even used a blow dryer) and they will work for a few more puffs then clog again. My insurance limits on which albuterol inhaler I am allowed to get and Express Scripts pushes the Pro Air HFA. I am sure it is because we have to keep ordering to replace clogged ones.”

UnhappyCamper · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “Like others on this page I have experienced the clogging issue. After ONLY A FEW puffs the device clogs. I called the company and they had me do a cleaning procedure which did help but having a life saving device clog so easily is unacceptable. They really need to fix this design. | I have NEVER had a problem with the TEVA brand (red with white cap) but the Perrigo brand is horrible.”

Reddogma August 7, 2020

“The Perrigo inhaler is simply bad. The dosage amount delivered is suspect as is the quality of the albuterol. I’ve used it for almost three months and I’ve felt horrible. I called my Dr and the insurance company and had them switch my script back to ProAir. I’d suggest the same for you.”