User Reviews for Albuterol to treat Asthma, acute

Also known as: Ventolin HFA, ProAir HFA, Ventolin, Proventil HFA, ProAir RespiClick, AccuNeb, ProAir Digihaler Vospire ER

Albuterol Rating Summary

2.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, acute.

Reviews for Albuterol

Anonymous July 30, 2020

“A few months ago the pharmacy started giving me the Perrigo Albuterol inhaler instead of the ventolin. The first one would not dispense properly and I needed to rely on my nebulizer for relief. I purchased a second one and it was just as bad. It is also VERY difficult to dispense and clean. I called the company and they had the pharmacy replace the two I purchased with 2 ventolin inhalers. With my most recent refill they gave me another Perrigo and it is just as bad. Someone could die if they had to rely on this for a bad attack. I’m just lucky I have a nebulizer available”

Wheezy in the City · Taken for 10 years or more July 29, 2020

“I call this the rocketship inhaler, and it is the worst inhaler I have ever owned (my asthma has been a nuisance for 37 years, so I know inhalers). The medicine tastes like onions, and it does not relieve my severe asthma very well. During attacks, I need 4 to 5 puffs of this inhaler whereas, with a real ProAir, I may need only two puffs and sometimes will clear with just one puff. A real ProAir also keeps me symptom-free much much longer. Yes, it is nice to save money, but saving doesn't matter to me if I'm dead because my rescue inhaler never opened my airways back up. The rocketship also broke, and as many did, I yanked the cannister out, but I put it in an old red ProAir inhaler "jacket," which worked for me.”

Jmiller July 29, 2020

“I have had pretty bad asthma for years and years. In the past 3 months my insurance decided that the Perrigo generic Proair is what they will help cover. This inhaler is absolutely horrible. The plastic dispenser is the worst design ever and darn near impossible to remove the medicine canister. Hardly anything comes out when I need to use it, and most of the time I can actually hear that it is clogged, so nothing at all comes out. More than half the actual medication is just wasted. When any inhalation does come out, I need to use 2-3 times the dose to really get what one dose should be giving me. This inhaler should NOT have been approved by the FDA. RIDICULOUS.”

kat July 27, 2020

“I've been using albuterol for years and it has always worked great and I've never had a problem. Just received my first one made by Perrigo and it's a disaster!!! It's horrible. The canister states that there are 149 doses still left, but it's empty. I hate this thing!!!!! This company should be ashamed of themselves.....................”

Lisa · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “Update: I went to the Perrigo site. At the "contact us" portion I gave my complaint regarding the taste, the low effectiveness and the problem with not being able to get the canister out to wash it. THEY CALLED ME!!! It was a great conversation. They were very kind, took a survey, and are refunding my copay. They are very much concerned, as this is their first launch of this product. Please join me in contacting them, so they can correct this product.”

Lb322 July 24, 2020

“Was excited to get the new Perrigo inhaler because I wasn’t a fan of the other one the pharmacy was giving me large blue one with metered doses . But the way it’s designed you can’t even push the white one down . And even though the spray seems better then the blue one . It tastes awful like chemicals and plastic. I have to say I buy the good ones from kiwi drug get about 6 for 60 bucks . Or I have my friend get me some from Mexico if I relied on the the ones from the us pharmacies I would have asthma attacks all the time .”

JV · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2020

“I got the Perrigo albuterol inhaler from Kaiser when they ran out of stock of the Ventolin. It's the worse inhaler I have ever used. First, it is awkward to use and the inhaler has stopped giving out puffs on occasion. The taste is beyond horrible. It has a weird garlic like after taste. I am also wasting puffs when I have to press it repeatedly into the air to make sure a normal puff is coming out, since it usually releases a tiny puff. These need to be recalled. I have yet to use it with a full blown respiratory infection, but if I have to I am scared that it won't be effective for it.”

Fish out of water June 25, 2020

“I see lawsuits coming behind this inhaler. It does not work properly at all and on top of that the dosage is way off SMH. I rather pay out of pocket for another brand rather than use this.”

Ckdk2l · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

“The generic albuterol version by Perrigo is AWFUL! The holder is awkward, the cap is hard to get off, the canister won't come out to clean, the dosage is weak and ineffective, and it leaves a horrible taste in your mouth. If an emergency arose, I'd die before I could get the cap off. Miss my Pro Air inhaler which I've used for years, but insurance will now only cover the generic. This product NEEDS to be recalled. How did this medication even get FDA approval.”

Karen · Taken for 10 years or more June 24, 2020

Ventolin (albuterol): “I've been using Ventolin for 25 years and NOW its causing dizziness. It also doesn't work like it used to. Ive noticed and clearly others have noticed that theres a problem with these inhalers. GSK needs to be investigated. I don't get these effects from a nebulizer.”

J733 June 22, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I love the regular ProAir in the red plastic with white cap. I was given the generic ProAir in the weird half white half clear plastic casing with the weird red cap. The first thing I noticed is that it tastes disgusting. I nearly threw up the first time I took it. For the next 30 puffs I couldn’t take it without having a strong flavored drink to chase it or I’d gag and throw up. But the worst part is that the inhaler fell out of my purse and onto the floor two days ago and stopped working altogether. It may dispense half a puff or a quarter puff and then nothing.I took the canister out to clean it because I thought it was clogged but now when I press down on it comes out the hole where the cap locks in! What?! I pay $50 a month for this and now I can’t use it with 130 puffs left! I’m hoping I can just switch the canister into an old red ProAir chamber and it works. The generic design is crap.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

“My experience seems that the device does not to spray well. It's the worst thing ever!!! Still don't get relief. After two sprays I get a massive headache.”

Chey May 28, 2020

“I have used ProAir albuterol inhaler and was given the Perrigo Albuterol inhaler. It is horrible. When I contacted the manufacturer they had me rinse it out with warm water. The representative told me since it worked after being rinsed they would not replace or give me a refund. I got one dose and it stopped working again. Even when it worked I could not tell I had received a dose. I finally went back to my pharmacy and purchased the ProAir inhaler out of pocket since my insurance would not cover it. They need to recall this product immediately.”

Deb · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “This new inhaler is terrible. Just ask the doctor for my old inhaler back. Even worse. My insurance insists I use this new one and doesn’t cover my old style inhaler. Gonna have to pay more so I can breathe. Terrible idea.”

Ascot May 19, 2020

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “I'm allergic to the propellant in the CFC free Ventolin. I have to use a powder. I first used the GSK rotahaler with no problems. The powder is in a capsule that spun in the rotahaler as you breathe in. You knew if it worked or not. Breathing in the powder is no different to the puffer. It still has to get to your lungs. I saw a demonstration video of the Respiclick. I definitely DON'T want to use it. The fact you have to open the mouth piece each time to take a puff would be incredibly dangerous in an attack when you're trying to breathe and also trying to open/click the thing. Non-asthmatics designed it as asthmatics know better. I use an Easyhaler. You have to press to release the medication but once again you have no idea if the medicine came out as you can't always feel it when you breathe in. I found myself checking whether it was still working and you're never 100% sure if you got any and how much you got. I prefer the GSK rotahaler but they discontinued it.”

JoJo · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2020

“I want my ProAir back!!! I have pulmonary Sarcoidosis and severe asthma. The Perrigo inhaler is absolutely horrible. It has a horrible taste that stays in my mouth no matter how many times I brush my teeth or use mouthwash. The taste chokes me up and dries my mouth out. It doesn't help me at all. I feel it makes everything worse. How can it be a rescue inhaler if it's clogged up when you need it. It clogs up every 2 or 3 sprays. I'm in the ER quite a bit for my breathing. This inhaler will just send me there more often and cost the insurance company a lot more.”

Nene · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2020

“This new inhaler is horrible! The medicine has burning like taste to it and it doesn't open up my airways as effective as the Proair. The Proair was fine just the way it was and should have been left alone.”

Echo7777 · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

“My most recent prescription they gave me Perrigo Albuterol Sulfate ( normally I get the Teva ) the Perrigo design is very odd . Cannot clean it properly . And the taste is horrible . Not sure if it’s allergies (it’s spring ) but it doesn’t seem To open my airways as well as other brands . I have had it two days and asked pharmacy to please get me a Teva one . I have to pay out of pocket for it but I can’t use this Perrigo one . It’s worth the money to have an inhaler I know that works for me”

KC April 28, 2020

“Perrigo generic albuterol.... horrible. Canister cannot be removed to clean mouthpiece, plastic canister guard is in the way of use of the product, and hardly anything comes out. I take it for Seasonal allergic wheezing ”

Lola · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2020

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “Neither myself or the pharmacist could get anything out of this inhaler. We put it on a black surface, click the inhaler and banged it on the black counter and absolutely no powder or mist came out. We did the black surface test after I took the thing back because I could get NOTHING out of it.”

Vera · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2020

Ventolin (albuterol): “Teva-Salbutamol or Generic ventolin is dangerous. I had to take one because ventolin is currently gone. What a horrible product. I'm using 8 puffs to get the same relief from the regular ventolin which also doesn't work as well anymore. I cannot believe this product is allowed on the market.”

Unbeliever · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 24, 2020

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “I ditto every negative response to the use of this product. I thought I was using it wrong or something was wrong with me. The people who stated whoever made it has no clue what it’s like to have to suck in when you have an attack, is totally correct. Did they even have product testing and trials before putting in the market. What about the FDA quality control???”

Brookie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 22, 2020

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “I don't know whose idea this was. It dispenses the medicine in a powder instead of finer air size particles This obviously doesn't work very well because air can be breathed into your lungs whereas a powder gets stuck somewhere along the way from your mouth to your lungs. I can literally feel the powder getting stuck in my throat instead of going where it's supposed to. My expired pro air puff inhaler works better than this and I know because I've had to dig around to find it when I'm having an asthma attack since the respiclick does nothing.”

ND · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2020

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “My ProAir RespiClick doesn’t seem to work when I need it to. It doesn’t work for pretreatment when I exercise at all. It sometimes works as a rescue inhaler. Also when I pretreat for exercise it gives me a dry awful feeling in my chest and extreme chest pain when I finish.”

aconde01 · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I have used ventolin for many years and find that it works very well. My insurance switched me from ventolin to pro air and it was horrible. My asthma attack became worse and I ended up in the ER. I could not breath at all. I told my doctor and she is trying to get me back on ventolin and it is a battle. The do not want to put me back on it. I guess I have to die before they see that pro air does not work!”