User Reviews for Albuterol to treat Asthma, Maintenance

Also known as: ProAir HFA, Ventolin HFA, Ventolin, Proventil HFA, ProAir RespiClick, ProAir Digihaler, Vospire ER AccuNeb

Albuterol has an average rating of 3.2 out of 10 from a total of 78 ratings for the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance. 19% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 71% reported a negative effect.

Albuterol Rating Summary

3.2/10 average rating

Compare all 71 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Albuterol

Bec · Taken for 10 years or more July 20, 2021

Ventolin (albuterol): “I have used ventolin for around 35 years and since the counter was introduced, I no longer find my ventolin puffer effective and flare ups are now common. It is like the doses are smaller and I often need additional doses for relief. Would be great if we had the choice to buy either counter or counter free versions.”

Andy · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2021

Ventolin HFA (albuterol): “In my 40 years of asthma experience, Ventolin has the WORST nervous system side effects of any abuterol inhaler I have ever used. (Generic, proventil, proair hfa) I suggest you NOT use if, like me, have sensitivity to stimulants (caffeine,etc), anxiety, adrenal, heart, or panic attack issues, or like me it will likely aggravate all of them, even with one dose as it does for me. With regular use, as my MD directed (because I forgot past experience), my nervous system became so agitated that not only could not sit still, my whole body felt like it was vibrating, and triggered a physiological (not cognitive/emotional) panic attack where I struggled to breath and my heart rate stayed high and exceeded 175bpm and stuttered with slightest physical activity, well above the recommended max of 157 for age 63. Having heart issues as a result.”

HoneyB · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 15, 2021

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “After using proair products I always get a yeast infection - vs using Ventolin. It doesn't seem to have the same effect as other inhalers either. The regular doses coming out are less effective than from a Ventolin inhaler for me.”

Lb · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

“I have been on albuterol for years. NEVER have I had a nasty aftertaste, like the inhaler from Perrigo. Since using this Perrigo albuterol inhaler my tongue felt raw, the aftertaste when I exhale is nauseating. Not to mention, the inhaler itself is bulky, difficult to open and seal tight so I can't wash it. I feel this is a dangerous product. I ordered a new inhaler and had to wait for a few days. I began to realize I hadn't been getting relief when I finally got the new inhaler. 2 puffs and I'm a really breathing well again. Perrigo needs to be investigated”

Hockeymom · Taken for 10 years or more June 30, 2020

“I received the Albuterol HFA inhalers from Express Scripts manufactured by Perrigo. They are absolutely awful. First of all they do not work. They also have a terrible smell and taste. I have used this medication for numerous years and have never once had this experience. As others have mentioned the medication canister is almost impossible to remove from the mouthpiece making cleaning an issue if the inhaler gets clogged. I would hope that Perrigo revamps this medication as I am completely willing to pay more for meds that work.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I have had asthma since 1982 and I am a respiratory therapist. I have to used various inhalers and SVNs over many years. I've always thought the ProAir was awful but the Perrigo Albuterol, generic for ProAir, is the WORST. This inhaler is not safe to be used as a rescue inhaler. I believe that patients will flock to the ER because the inhaler gives NO relief. I had to buy a new inhaler within a couple days of this purchase because its THAT BAD. When I get refills now, I refuse to take this brand. Its absolutely useless and the taste so bad.”

Squee · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2020

“I am using Perrigo albuterol inhaler for the first time. It's horrible!! The dispenser is so awkward. It's hard to hold. It's difficult to press down on the albuterol canister and there is a guard around it that sticks up too high. It's hard to know whether a dose has been delivered or not. Terrible design of an inhaler! I am thinking it would almost be worth paying the extra $30 just to get Ventolin.”

Debbie · Taken for 10 years or more August 20, 2020

“I have used the Pro-Air inhaler for years. I don't have to use it regularly but when I need it, I really need it. In April, BCBST switched me to the generic by Perrigo. After about 8 times of using it, it clogged up, I kept trying and I just thought I got a bad one. So I got another one. Luckily, when I went into a full fledged asthma attack from dust and mouse droppings while cleaning out a garage, I had my Pro-Air in my purse and it saved my life. Had I had the Perrigo, I would have ended up in the ER. I took the inhaler back to my pharmacy but they said they could not do anything. She told me to try and rinse it out with hot water. I tried hot water and vinegar and still it is clogged. I cannot risk it. I have to pay out of pocket $65 for Pro-Air. I am fighting with BCBS to stop recommending the Perrigo generic as they could end up with higher bills if we all end up in the ER needing breathing treatments.”

JJ October 9, 2019

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I absolutely, 100%, loathe this ProAir inhaler!!! Complete garbage. My insurance company tries to deny my Ventolin prescription (the inhaler that actually relieves my asthma symptoms) every year and tries to make me purchase this one instead instead. I honestly don't understand how Proair is still being sold, especially considering the negative reviews and comments regarding it or just the simple fact that it does not work.”

Katy · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “First time using this inhaler, I noticed it did not dispense properly and after two puffs within an hour of using I had a horrible allergic reaction, my entire face was itching and red, Had to take a Benadryl, the next day I was still itching and inflamed. I never had this problem with the ProAir HFA inhaler.”

Meeeeee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2020

“Just received the new inhaler manufactured by Perrigo. I agree with the other opinions that this inhaler is horrible. Can't tell if I even received a dose, and I find I have to use it every couple hours whereas before I was only using an inhaler every 4-6 hours with the one manufactured by Prasco. The Perrigo inhaler is an awkward device to use. Not sure if complaining here will do any good, but I'm going to contact my pharmacist at Walgreens in the morning to complain, especially since I know others are having the same issue and that my experience is not an isolated issue.”

Jul · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2020

“I cannot in good conscience call the product that Catalent/Perrigo has on the market a albuterol rescue inhaler. This product is awful. The cap is difficult to remove, you can’t tell if it’s dispensing meds or the right amount. Worst of all my throat felt burned after use and the taste is terrible. Had to contact my pharmacy and pay to get my old inhaler that I knew worked and gave me relief in a time of need. I contacted the FDA. They have a med watch report on their website where consumer/patients can leave a complaint about a medicine or medical device. Hope you all stay healthy. If you have a problem let the FDA know.”

Ricky · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2020

“I just got switched to this new brand inhaler this week and it's AWFUL... The plastic shield around the canister is just in the way, the canister is almost impossible to remove to clean the inhaler, you have to pull it with your finger tips for 20 minutes to get it out, so I decided to put this canister in one of my old Inhalers and it works a lot better, but I won't have the counter so I'm back to the old days of being surprised when the medicine runs out, but at least it works...I'm going to try to get switched back to the old one this week”

Worst thing ever · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

“I'm not sure why this generic inhaler doesn't work properly but it does not produce the proper amount of medication for each puff. This is the worst inhaler I've ever used and have asked my doctor to switch me back to the other cuz this is the worst! I'm having take four puffs instead of two for it to work and it makes me all shaky.”

S · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2020

“My husband started using the Perrigo Albuterol Sulfate, which is the generic brand for Pro air. This product is DANGEROUS!!!! He has experienced 8 of the 15 major side effects of this inhaler. Dizziness, muscle soreness, severe chest pains to where we thought he was having a heart attack and went to the hospital. Throat dryness and soreness, body shaking (tremors), and he was very cold but no fever. Please please do not use this inhaler!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more April 25, 2018

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I use an inhaled cortical inhaler daily for maintenance but for those occasional times I need a rescue inhaler, the ONLY ONE that works is Ventolin HFA - 1 puff and almost instant relief. I could suck up half the cannister of ProAir HFA and still not be able to breath. This stuff is awful and my insurance company forces it on me. Reading all of the terrible reviews of this product from actual users like myself, I can only conclude that ProAir HFA is giving substantial kick-backs to insurance companies to get them to force this rubbish product on subscribers.”

Shortie · Taken for 10 years or more September 4, 2020

“I went to pick up a refill for my albuterol inhaler expecting it to be ProAir albuterol and was confused when I was given Perrigo albuterol. The inhaler is terrible. I have had 2 inhalers from Perrigo and both of them have been completely defective after only a couple uses. Cleaning the actuator does nothing, medication will not be released. I am having to take outrageous amounts of the medication to get any relief from an asthma flare/attack. If I could, it would receive a 0/10, the product is dangerous due to the defects.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2018

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “Why is this still on the market? The inhaler as I already did complain about years ago, does NOT puff adequately at all into the lungs or even the throat, it barely puffs into the mouth! Not enough medicine gets to the back of the throat or lungs!!! This is a weak inhaler - take this off the market!!”

Suz · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2020

“This inhaler clogs after a short time unlike any I've ever used. My pharmacist told me to rinse it out with hot water, but if I'm having an attack and/or am away from home, that is not practical. In fact, it is downright scary to wonder if it is going to work.”

Michigan Man December 30, 2019

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “I agree with all the other comments. My expired ProAir (with spacer) works 100X better as a rescue medicine than the do-nothing ProAir Respliclick. I found absolutely no relief from the $60 Respliclick. (My insured cost). Respliclick is a scam. Stick to the old inhalers if you want to breath.”

JSea · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2018

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “3rd time getting this inhaler and it’s the 3rd time ProAir stopped administering the medicine early. This last time is the worst. Less than a week with 175 counters and it’s empty. Anyone have this???”

Leo · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2018

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “ProAir is the worst inhaler ever made. My job's rx plan used to cover Ventolin and Dulera. I used the Dulera once in the morning and once at night. Ventolin in emergency situations. The Dulera helped manage my asthma. When I did need to use the Ventolin inhaler, it delivered a strong blast that opened up my airways. As mentioned before, my job's rx plan stopped covering it. So I had to use my inhaler more often. Then they stopped covering the Ventolin. When I had to get the ProAir, I noticed the difference right away. The blast was very weak. Plus the container gets clogged 8/10 times. My son has asthma as well and he has autism. What is one of us or both have to use this cheap inhaler and nothing comes out? I'll you what would happen......we wouldn't be able to breath because the damn thing doesn't work. How can this device be clogged so much? Why is this inhaler even allowed to be sold? We all should band together and sue the makers of ProAir.”

Awat · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2019

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “This inhaler is good when it works. After 60 puffs the inhaler clogs and will not spray anymore. It's not a good thing when you have chronic asthma and you are not sure if your fast acting inhaler is going to work when you need it. I will be talking to the doctor and insurance about switching to Ventolin again”

MJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2020

“I find myself having to use the Perrigo inhaler 3-4 times per day vs. 1-2 with Proair. The dispenser is awkward and hardly anything comes out. This is my first week using this product. I have wmphsyma and asthma I will not buy it again.”

Anonymous January 3, 2011

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “This delivers the medication in powder form in a more environmentally friendly way, but seems thus also to have diminished effectiveness. Cost is also creeping up over the last 24 months (now $43 per unit, roughly a 23% increase overall in 2 years). It is perhaps the best there is, but no substitute for the previous modes of delivery, and a marginal drug value.”

anonymous704 · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 24, 2013

Ventolin (albuterol): “I have been using ventolin going on for about five years now and I have had no complaints. It works within about fifteen minutes and really helps me breath better. Though when it does get to the end of the canister it doesn't seem to be as effective.”

Anonymous August 2, 2020

“The new holder for this medicine does not work well at all. I've been using this medicine for years and I have never had such a problem with the plastic holder. I am hoping this company will do something about this problem. I am wasting medicine, I have had to clean the holder every other day, please change this holder.”

Annie's Momma December 9, 2010

Ventolin (albuterol): “I use it, have for a real long time. I am on maintenance, I don't need one daily, have in the past and know that I may again. Well either maintenance or regular it has always been a big part of my life and it works very well. Where would I be without it?”