User Reviews for Albuterol to treat Asthma, Maintenance

Also known as: Ventolin HFA, ProAir HFA, Ventolin, Proventil HFA, ProAir RespiClick, AccuNeb, ProAir Digihaler Vospire ER

Albuterol Rating Summary

3.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 72 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Albuterol

Cherene · Taken for 10 years or more July 24, 2020

“I take Advair twice a day, and a puff of Albuterol before or after going up stairs, and before bed. I just started using the most recent inhaler, the Perrigo albuterol. I was surprised at how strange it tasted, I thought something might be wrong with me.. so I googled Albuterol tastes strange and I'm amazed and disappointed at how many complaints this medicine has received recently!! My insurance company uses express scripts, I guess I should see if they have anything else to offer! I don't think I'm going to get used to this! And why should I??”

Lb · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

“I have been on albuterol for years. NEVER have I had a nasty aftertaste, like the inhaler from Perrigo. Since using this Perrigo albuterol inhaler my tongue felt raw, the aftertaste when I exhale is nauseating. Not to mention, the inhaler itself is bulky, difficult to open and seal tight so I can't wash it. I feel this is a dangerous product. I ordered a new inhaler and had to wait for a few days. I began to realize I hadn't been getting relief when I finally got the new inhaler. 2 puffs and I'm a really breathing well again. Perrigo needs to be investigated”

S · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2020

“My husband started using the Perrigo Albuterol Sulfate, which is the generic brand for Pro air. This product is DANGEROUS!!!! He has experienced 8 of the 15 major side effects of this inhaler. Dizziness, muscle soreness, severe chest pains to where we thought he was having a heart attack and went to the hospital. Throat dryness and soreness, body shaking (tremors), and he was very cold but no fever. Please please do not use this inhaler!!”

Hockeymom · Taken for 10 years or more June 30, 2020

“I received the Albuterol HFA inhalers from Express Scripts manufactured by Perrigo. They are absolutely awful. First of all they do not work. They also have a terrible smell and taste. I have used this medication for numerous years and have never once had this experience. As others have mentioned the medication canister is almost impossible to remove from the mouthpiece making cleaning an issue if the inhaler gets clogged. I would hope that Perrigo revamps this medication as I am completely willing to pay more for meds that work.”

Katy · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “First time using this inhaler, I noticed it did not dispense properly and after two puffs within an hour of using I had a horrible allergic reaction, my entire face was itching and red, Had to take a Benadryl, the next day I was still itching and inflamed. I never had this problem with the ProAir HFA inhaler.”

DT · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2020

“I have purchased 2 of these inhalers and they are rubbish. They will work for a couple weeks and then stop. Will never purchase again.”

Dogma · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2020

“The Perrigo version of Proair HFA is clunky and not friendly to carry.”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2020

“Horrible inhaler, very little medication dispensed when needed, plugs up all the time, feel like a fish out of water!”

Worst thing ever · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

“I'm not sure why this generic inhaler doesn't work properly but it does not produce the proper amount of medication for each puff. This is the worst inhaler I've ever used and have asked my doctor to switch me back to the other cuz this is the worst! I'm having take four puffs instead of two for it to work and it makes me all shaky.”

Anonymous May 27, 2020

“Before picking up my albuterol refill a few weeks ago, I was using the other generic albuterol sulfate inhaler by TEVA. A few weeks ago I go to pick up my refill and it was albuterol sulfate by Perrigo, so I had never taken it before. Didn't think too much of it. First of all, I had to squeeze it like six times to get the therapeutic amount I needed. A week later I started to notice the back of my throat very red, irritated, and sore. Oh and did I forget to mention I am severely constipated?? I wouldn't recommend this generic brand to anyone!!!”

MJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2020

“I find myself having to use the Perrigo inhaler 3-4 times per day vs. 1-2 with Proair. The dispenser is awkward and hardly anything comes out. This is my first week using this product. I have wmphsyma and asthma I will not buy it again.”

Meeeeee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2020

“Just received the new inhaler manufactured by Perrigo. I agree with the other opinions that this inhaler is horrible. Can't tell if I even received a dose, and I find I have to use it every couple hours whereas before I was only using an inhaler every 4-6 hours with the one manufactured by Prasco. The Perrigo inhaler is an awkward device to use. Not sure if complaining here will do any good, but I'm going to contact my pharmacist at Walgreens in the morning to complain, especially since I know others are having the same issue and that my experience is not an isolated issue.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I have had asthma since 1982 and I am a respiratory therapist. I have to used various inhalers and SVNs over many years. I've always thought the ProAir was awful but the Perrigo Albuterol, generic for ProAir, is the WORST. This inhaler is not safe to be used as a rescue inhaler. I believe that patients will flock to the ER because the inhaler gives NO relief. I had to buy a new inhaler within a couple days of this purchase because its THAT BAD. When I get refills now, I refuse to take this brand. Its absolutely useless and the taste so bad.”

Ace · Taken for 10 years or more May 17, 2020

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I HATE the new inhaler. The canister is fine but the new outer part is HORRIBLE!!! It doesn’t let a full pump out & it gets clogged. It waste so much of the medicine & it is horrible.”

Kaylacasper · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2020

“Doesn’t help with my asthma . Worst tasting thing I’ve ever had. Every time I use it I want to throw up ! I do not recommend for anyone !”

Squee · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2020

“I am using Perrigo albuterol inhaler for the first time. It's horrible!! The dispenser is so awkward. It's hard to hold. It's difficult to press down on the albuterol canister and there is a guard around it that sticks up too high. It's hard to know whether a dose has been delivered or not. Terrible design of an inhaler! I am thinking it would almost be worth paying the extra $30 just to get Ventolin.”

Arthur · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 25, 2020

Ventolin HFA (albuterol): “My Ventolin inhaler has always given me relief when I have an asthma attack or am short of breath. I find that after so many uses, it will clog. After removing the canister, rinsing the actuator with warm water and letting it dry, should unclog it.”

Tookie · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2020

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “I do not like anything about this new RespiClick and want to get the original inhaler back. It’s not easy to use and it does not last long at all.”

7312 · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “Just. Awful. Period. Return as soon as you can.”

phil · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 19, 2020

“Started using albuterol inhalers about three years. Seemed to work fine but over time I noticed I was having certain neurological issues. Trembling, lack of coordination, headaches, random pains, lack of concentration, and other symptoms. Had a complete battery of neurological tests and nothing was found. Quit using the albuterol inhaler and the symptoms went away gradually after a few weeks. Has anyone else seen these kind of symptoms?”

Michigan Man December 30, 2019

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “I agree with all the other comments. My expired ProAir (with spacer) works 100X better as a rescue medicine than the do-nothing ProAir Respliclick. I found absolutely no relief from the $60 Respliclick. (My insured cost). Respliclick is a scam. Stick to the old inhalers if you want to breath.”

Christine · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 13, 2019

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “With the ProAir HFA I have found after using this product, it runs out, when there should be 30-34 doses left.”

JJ October 9, 2019

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “I absolutely, 100%, loathe this ProAir inhaler!!! Complete garbage. My insurance company tries to deny my Ventolin prescription (the inhaler that actually relieves my asthma symptoms) every year and tries to make me purchase this one instead instead. I honestly don't understand how Proair is still being sold, especially considering the negative reviews and comments regarding it or just the simple fact that it does not work.”

Awat · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2019

ProAir HFA (albuterol): “This inhaler is good when it works. After 60 puffs the inhaler clogs and will not spray anymore. It's not a good thing when you have chronic asthma and you are not sure if your fast acting inhaler is going to work when you need it. I will be talking to the doctor and insurance about switching to Ventolin again”

Addie64 · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

ProAir RespiClick (albuterol): “ProAir Respiclick had zero effectiveness for me. You would have to be a long distance runner to be able to inhale this powder into your lungs. What a waste. This was just another way for the company to get a patent for albuterol so they could make money. If I could give a minus rating I would. I got this drug due to a mixup with my insurance where they said they wouldn't cover the HFA. I think they got so many complaints and threats of lawsuits that they quickly changed their coverage options. I know I was definitely on the phone with them.”