User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Psoriasis 53 reviews 311 medications

Gastric Cancer 1 reviews 3 medications

Scleroderma 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Methotrexate reviews 126 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Methotrexate

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Terrible experience - never again! I started taking the Methotrexate on Thursday morning and felt sick for days! I'm highly sensitive to medication and was given 10mg and 5mg of Folic Acid all days except dose day. I managed to get to work the next day but was very fatigued, vague and couldn’t function too well. I have never felt so tired as I did the weekend after and had to cancel all my plans. From Friday night, I was totally wiped out, no appetite, couldn’t stay awake, tummy ache, headache and since sunday strands of hair have been falling out. My fringe / bangs thinned out & hair kept falling out - after 1 tablet. It was a terrible experience."

Cleo-foxx (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "positive no side effects"

davega July 18, 2016

For Psoriasis: "20 years ago I was put on methotrexate after being diagnosed with psioritic arthritis. At the time I was riddled with pain & had great difficulty walking. Thanks to methotrexate my pains are almost gone & I was able to work to 65 & love walking since I retired. Only prob been April this year when I had a severe reaction to my " new " methatrexate tablets ( my chemist changed supplier) . The pharmacy at the hospital stock my original tablets ( by Orion Pharma & marked 2.5mm ) so all I did was change to a pharmacy that would supply the correct tablets. Wonder how many have had the same prob or even had to come off altogether ???"

Gdad Jimbo (taken for 10 years or more) July 9, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Never felt so Ill! I take 25mg weekly via injection. Never suffered side effects with other medication. This stuff is a horrible poison. Mouth ulcers,sickness that never goes away. Too many bloodtests to count. Constant fatigue. Dull depressed headache's and joint pain which means other pills,which means other pills to counter-act the side effects of the other lot! Ad-infinitum. Depressing really. On the plus side,(there is one suprisingly),more mobility. I am a resident of the UK so our health care system will be alien to you. We all contribute via an employment tax called NATONAL HEALTH CONTRIBUTION'S. And it i's the envy of the Western world. (when it works)"

BadgerboyToo July 9, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I'm curious can methotrexate cause weight gain I rarely eat anymore except for the three days leading up to my next dose I'm fatigued, headaches, weak food causes acid so I must be very careful that I eat bland foods with little fat and since I've only been on it for 5 weeks I'm in the MORE PAIN part of getting used to the meds part of all of this. But how could I possibly feel like I'm gaining weight when I eat next to nothing 4 out of 7 days and club crackers as my only snack"

Donna Varady June 7, 2016

For Psoriasis: "I was on Methotrexate for 3-4 years after trying every option I started 17.5mg when I was 19. It cleared my psoriasis perfectly! I struggled with side effects. Weakness and exhaustion, loss of appetite which lead to severe weight loss, and nausea. I changed to the injections at 20mg, and found a huge differences in side effects. Still not a lot of energy but not going through my stomach was better for the nausea and appetite so I could get healthy. I stayed on methrexate for as long as I could before I felt it was draining me. Now I am off it for 1 year and hav bad psoriasis again i wondering if it's best to go back on. both effect you in different was, emotionally and phsically."

Gmh2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 1, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Mtx for almost 2 yrs. I was diagnosed with JRA when I was 2 yo. I tried Plaquenil when I was about 19 and had an allergic reaction. I had a flare every 5 years or so in my adulthood and took an antibiotic that is prescribed as an off-label treatment for RA until my last flare 2 years ago when I finally gave in and decided to try the Mtx which I fought for years (I am 44). I take 17.5 mg once a week and 1 mg folic acid daily and have no side effects. It works well, but not perfectly and I do still have some pain. Right now I seem to be flaring and may have to try something more. I did try to lower my dose about 4 months ago but that was a disaster. I am glad I tried it and that it works for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Had a terrible experience with this drug. I would never take it again. This drug made me severely depressed to the point of suicidal thoughts. It also gave me a tight feeling in my throat. I Also learned that it could potentially create birth defects if your were to reproduce while on drug. I would recommend using a different option."

RA is not fun (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had taken methotrexate 21 years by the VA . plus Enbrel,Humira, folic acid and more ..well this is a warning ..I now have NASH it's a disease from the meds .cirrossis of the liver. Uncureable! Just change foods . Pray it doesn't get worse. WARNING. WARNING WARNING ,!"

Larrylorenzo May 14, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "After a severe case of Ross River Fever for which i was taking 50 mg Prednisone daily I developed chronic degenerative Polymyalgia Rheumatica, the pain in my arms, neck, hips, knees, hands and ankles was intense and never ending, i tried all the usual pain killers including Oxycontin and Methadone with varying short term success but the mind numbing daily struggle associated with taking Opiates was taking a toll on my life, my Rheum trialed me on 15 mg mtx weekly for 2 months and the result was incredible, the pain in neck and knees almost disappeared after the first week so the Rheum increased dose to 15 mg morning and night once a week, wow what a difference! few side effects and almost pain free, thank you MTX"

Ronnsy (taken for 10 years or more) May 12, 2016

For Psoriasis: "I was diagnosed with psoriasis at the age of 14. My life was hell by the time I was 18. It covered pretty much every where the sun didn't shine. I tried every thing topical, uv light and sun bathing, different diets you name it, I tried it. In my 30's I accepted that the only way I as ever going to have relief was by once every three or so months sun bath until I was so burnt it forced the psoriasis to slow down. I met a random stranger who saw my psoriasis and mentioned methotrexate. He told me his story, so I gave it a try. I hope the people who are complaining after six or even seven weeks stay the course. It took me four moths to see results. I am 40 now and have been %95 clear for the past eight years. 12mg once a week."

AllClear May 7, 2016

For Psoriasis: "After 20 years of psoriasis and having had light treatment and creams I was prescribed cyclosporin which was fantastic. Almost clear within 2 weeks but over a long period of time it affected my kidneys. Been on methotrexate for 1 week 12.5mg per week and no real change. Not as quick as cyclosporin but I am hopeful it will clear soon"

Picnic April 30, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on Methotrexate for 9 months now 20mg once a week with 2 folic acids 2 days later my problem is that whilst the med is working its playing havoc on my liver I've had to come off it as my LFT results were constantly increasing then suddenly doubled. She asked me to have a Biopsy of my liver to work out if it is defiantly the Methotrexate or something else I guess this is what I need to do now. I've finally got myself down to 5mg Prednisone and now the Rheumo has said stop Mtx and see how you go if we need to we can up the Pred I don't want to up the Pred I eat like a horse and put so much weight on I'm hoping theres something else out there that will help me. Already tried Sulfazasaline and got a rash and other side effects."

Teish (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2016

For Psoriasis: "For all the people just starting MTX for psoriasis...patience, it takes time!!!! I have had psoriasis for 20 years worse every year for the last decade, tried ointments, UV therapy, all sorts diets in vain. Started MTX 7.5mg weekly 4 months ago, feeling heart broken the first couple months as I saw no change, but it is happening... at turtle speed I am clearing. After 3 months the itch stopped now I am VERY SLOWLY clearing ( as long as I don't take any alcohol). Dermatologist said at such low dose expect best benefit around 6 months. No side effects!"

Scaly April 2, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Works moderately well and with few side effects for me. I take 7.5-10mg a week along side 200mg twice daily hydroxycloroquine ( plaquenil) and 1mg folic acid 6 times a week ( not on my MTX day) . It's pretty cheap with insurance and even without it. The side effect that I get is metallic taste in mouth / tingles in my tongue towards my bottom teeth and loss of appetite ( which is common to me on any arthritis medications and ever since I got arthritis in the first place ) and feeling slightly sick after I take the pills. The drug definitely has had a positive effect on my pain levels though and has even led to a reduction in my overall meds . I'm feeling much better then I used to and am able to work and have a pretty normal life again."

Cash hardy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Been taking Methotrexate for almost 3 years now. Last fall, I felt good enough that I went off it without my Drs knowledge, because it made me feel pretty ill for a day or so after. What a mistake! I started taking it again about 2 months ago, and although it still makes me sick, it sure beats the pain I`m in without it. (on 25 mg a week, along with Hydroxychloroquin and folic acid)"

Macaroon5 March 6, 2016

For Gastric Cancer: "I have crohn's disease and started methotrexate in conjunction with my remicade treatments, as it was supposed to lessen the chance of developing antibodies to remicade. The biggest effect this drug had on me was psychologically. I became severely depressed (absolutely no history of depression), when I started have some suicidal thoughts I knew I had to stop it (took drug for just 3 months). As soon as I stopped (but continued with remicade) all those symptoms stopped. For me it was one of the scariest drugs I've ever been on and I wanted to put this here, while these side effects seem rare, this was definitely a side effect of taking methotrexate for me, and there may be others."

cw55 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2016

For Psoriasis: "On methotrexate for 20 years, no issues w/liver function. Otezla worked much better, but ins. refused to cover it, back on metho. Psoriasis since age 7, psoriatic arthritis since 40's. Now 54. Increased metho from 10mg/wk to 15/wk, pain and scaling more severe. New patches around my eyes, lids are swollen, painful and itchy. Eyes constantly dry, red, painful, itchy - might have psoriasis and/or psoriatic arthritis in them, going back to rheumatologist and an opthalmologist for help. OTC allergy eye drops, soothing drops and nightly administration of Vaseline in/around eyes not alleviating condition. Very sore all over, sunny weather alleviates the patches and joint/tendon pain. Can't wait to sunbathe! No biologics, cancer scare."

AustinTexas February 12, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am 62, and was diagnosed with RA about 10 years ago, I have been through a battery of drugs to suppress my immune system, ending up on subcutaneous methrotrexate 10mg, I originally had a 'bad day' the day after my injections, however it seems to be getting to be a bad couple of days lately. Intense pressure head ache (I'm also a migraine sufferer), nausea, confusion, tiredness and now really troubled sleep, nightmares, and some visual disruption/ (almost hallucinations), feelings of panic, unease and claustrophobic. I know the alternatives, stop and face RA full on, but I would rather get 3/4 good days than be on the road to being completely disabled."

Nigel G (taken for 10 years or more) February 8, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Been taking mtx, folic and Plaquinel for 1.5 yrs. My biggest side effect is lack of appetite. Not sure if it is the MTX or plaquinel causing this but as a result I feel I have no energy or muscle mass left. I wonder whether it is better to take the drugs or let the RA runs it's course. History of cancer in the family but not seeing any reference to that side effect here"

Jonseycanada February 3, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Following treatment for acute auto-immune disease of the brain I suddenly developed RA symptoms in my hands and feet - dropping things all day, severe overnight swelling and pain. Two previous medications prescribed by my rheumatologist were ineffective. Tried Methotrexate (8 x 2.5mg once/week folic acid) two days ago and 50% of swelling and 90% of the pain are gone; can make a more-or-less painless fist with both hands, easy to type first thing in the morning (woo hoo) and happy to be alive."

Mister Moo (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have had rheumatoid arthritis 15 years severe & aggressive. Finding a good rheumatologist has been impossible. I take Humira, methotrexate, folic acid. Taking the prescribed dose of methotrexate10 mg once a week. I am so lethargic, still stiff hands, feet joints as well as pain. It is better than no medication because that pain is fire, this has dulled the fire. Had one surgery shoulder.. My hair has been rapidly falling out again, I can't eat normally. After reading this blog I realize I may do better with either injections or stopping completely. Planquenil, sulfa-salazine were of no benefit. Allergci to biologics. Had to find one that has been a game changer."

Sparks203 January 23, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was put on methotrexate about 5 months ago after a nasty flare up back in the spring. I have had arthritis in my left knee since the age of 2 but found the arthritis went into remission all through my teens and has kind of been in and out of remission throughout my 20's. Steroid injections always worked well but this time around, it did nothing. The R/A has now spread to shoulders and wrists as well so I was put on methatrexate 20mg once a week along with hydroxychloriquine. I have found that it has only been the last couple of weeks that I am starting to feel some benefit from the meds, the knee pain is much better although my wrists are still very painful especially at night! My consultant assures me the meds will work. Fingers crossed"

Emma jd January 18, 2016

For Psoriasis: "I've had psoriasis for the past 10 years and was exhausted from trying creams and such. I searched for a treatment that would do more - and have been on methotrexate for about 7 weeks now. I haven't noticed any change in my skin - atleast not for the better. I've been really itchy, and I really feel like my scalp has gotten worse. I have flakes constantly and my head is covered in acne and red bumps now. My face is getting a bit of acne too. And, despite the fact that I eat very healthy and work out, I have put on about 2 pounds per week. :( So sad"

Better Living January 12, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Been on mtx for about 18 months. Just went from pills to injections and I'm fairly pleased. The day after doesn't seem as bad. Definitely will never go back to the pills. I get about 75% relief. I'll take that any day!"

Liberty's Noni (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2016