User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall, Xatmep

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Ectopic Pregnancy 4 reviews 0 medications

Gastric Cancer 1 reviews 3 medications

Scleroderma 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Methotrexate reviews 166 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Methotrexate

For Psoriasis: "I've had psoriasis since I was 7 years old, I am now 17 and was put on methotrexate in January. My psoriasis was completely covering my back and torso to the point where I couldn't bend over as it would cause the skin to crack, leaving me often times covered in blood and under severe pain. Now 6 months on my psoriasis is 99% gone, with a stubborn few plaques remaining on my legs stomach and back, but extremely small (size of a pea!). However the areas where the psoriasis once was is left with a darker pigment to the rest of my skin, I am hoping with continued use it shall fade over time. I've experienced no side effects of this medicine (my dermatologist said I was a good candidate as I'm younger and have a stronger immune system."

dylanw2u (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I've suffered with scalp psoriasis from being 8 years old but always managed with coal tar shampoos. When I was 29 I noticed plaque psoriasis forming on the trunk of my body, arms and legs, chest and face! They grew larger, became intolerable and so itchy. After many visits to the GP I was eventually referred to a dermatologist. By this point I was off work severely ill, my skin was so bad I couldn't walk, I would lie in the bath to help shed the layers of skin. Upon my visit to dermatologist he took one look and said I was critical. I was 99% covered and had erythrodermic psoriasis! I spent 11 days in hospital bandaged in ointments. I've been on MTX for 4 years now and can say they have helped me a lot (99%). Blood monitors done 3 monthly. "

Josie83 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I'm 18 and have had psoriasis now for almost 2 years. I started taking this for my psoriasis about a month ago and have already seen substantial differences! No itchiness, limited redness and extreme scaling. Although the medication does take a bit longer to start working I'm absolutely sure that it will continue to help relieve the psoriasis on my legs, arms and stomach!!"

Courtney17 May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I have been extremely tired, nausea's, a general feeling of lack of interest in things I enjoy, moody and overall not feeling good. The psoriasis has become less thick, but after six weeks its still there. I have an appointment Thursday and going to discuss alternatives."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "Hello, I am 27 and started having psoriasis when I was 20. I am covered 80%. My rheumothogist has started me on methotrexate shot once a week as well as folic acid everyday but the day of the shot. I am currently on day 5, my skin has stopped forming layers about 90% but still red and small patches here and there. From the time I got the shot, I have only felt low energy and low appetite. No serious side effects. I must add before going on methotrexate, you should start eating healthier and detox the body the best you can for a month prior to going on methotrexate. If you don't you are doing more harm than good because your immune system is going to sleep mode and if you got a load of junk and bad bacteria left they will just take over."

Johnny from Canada (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "MTX stopped my periods although hormonal test shows no onset of menopause (age 53). Blurry vision (garlands) for 30' after intake (6 tablets). Sickness sometimes for up to 24 hours. Joint pain is increased for two to three days. Effect is moderate, must add Actemra. TNF inhibitors largely without effect."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am 49 yrs old and was diagnosed RA last Sept after a spring/summer of hell. Pain started in knees, then hands, wrists , elbows, feet and worst of all one shoulder. I was crawling before started on a 12.5 mg of Methotrexate, folic acid, steroids, etoricoxib & amitriptyline at night. November -no change, apart from terrible fatigue. My dose was increased to 20mg per week with more folic acid and a general steroid injection. I felt improvement at the end of Jan17- with pain still in my hands and feet. I went back to work for a few hours a week...big mistake. The fatigue has been tough and I have a lot of muscle wastage and my hands and feet hurt a lot. I will be seeing the consultant tomorrow, fingers crossed - although that hurts!"

Marinehippo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "-I vomiting after alcoholic drinks. -Overall fatigue. -My joints are more sensitive"

Alper constantino (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was taking methotrexate 20mg PO for over a year and switched to injectable, which lasted maybe 6 months. I finally just got taken off the methotrexate after seeing my Rheumatologist last week. She immediately insisted we get me off of it after I told her my symptoms: weight loss from ~105lbs-92lbs (I'm 5ft), constant nausea, asthmatic symptoms (inhalers didn't help), consistent mouth ulcers, crippling fatigue and general feeling of unwellness. After a large work-up with my GP as she was super concerned something else was going on, I now look back and am surprised I stayed on the methotrexate that long. Ultimately, the drug did an okay job and suppressing flare ups, but I've whittled down to nothing. Starting sulfasalazine soon..."

Kvbraz April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I have had psoriasis for 12 years. It affected my daily life. I have tried so many creams, ointments. Nothing worked. So last November, doctor prescribed me Otezla, it hurt my back badly. I have to stop this. So methotrexate was given to me 5x2.5mg per week in January, 1mg folic acid per day except the day taking methotrexate. Once a month blood work was giving. I was on 7x2.5 mg last month, Now I am on 9x2.5mg, I can feel it is almost clear, and I do feel joint pain and weak immune system. I have such bad flu right now and could go to office Tomorrow."

Sebastianshen March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Was on 20mg dose and OK for a couple of years but by then I had put on 2 stone in weight then I started getting other side effects I put up with it for another 3 years but I had to come off it as to the problems I was getting eg. not eating properly sleep problems, mouth ulcers etc. I was put on sulphasalozine and lasted for three weeks and that did make me ill,"

ALFIE 1912 March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at the age 29, not knowing out the blue I started having severe shoulder pain. Paying it no mind and hoping it go away, than it started in my right hand. My primary ran some blood work, and prescribe me Maloxican and tramodal. The pain, swelling and stiffness became aggressive and move to my other shoulder, hips, both hand's and wrist within 2 year's on Maloxican. I was referred to a RA specialist and was placed on Celebrex.The pain was unbearable that it had me in tears unable to walk, get dress, brush my teeth, do daily task.Now these past 2 weeks MTX has been a blessing! It's awesome other than the weight gain."

Ronella Brown March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I am 25 years and I have psoriasis from the age of 20. The treatment helped to completely leave the psoroasis was methotrexate and solarium. Now I have no psoriasis and as a treatment( to not appear again) is to do solarium for 5 months of the year"

nick-123 March 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was on this medicine for about 4 years. I tried the pill form which caused severe vomiting. After 2 doses it was intolerable and I was switched to injectable. I felt exhausted and had nausea and diarrhea for 3-4 days but I was able to get out of bed for the other days so this was a plus. Unfortunately, I picked up a nasty case of pneumonia even after getting the vaccine. Either I had exposure or it was caused by the methotrexate. I had to stop methotrexate. It took at least 2 month to recover and I'm still having asthmatic reaction. My doctor says I should continue to stay off it for now. He wants me to restart if RA symptoms return (which they are). I'm terrified to restart. He wants to switch to Simponi but I'm afraid of that too."

RZC (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Methotrexate was effective in the beginning for me. After three years of taking 6 pills weekly I contracted Lemierre's Sydrome Disease and Necrotizing Fasciatis (two fatal) diseases. I survived and do not take any RA medication. I live a healthy meat free and low omega 6 and 9 diet. Also used several supplements to keep immune system healthy but nothing worked. "

DNiece1957 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I was diagnosed with psoriasis about 1.5 years ago at the age of 24. It was severe in my scalp, ears, elbows, hands, knees, legs and feet. I've tried every single remedy out there. Every cream and ointment the derm prescribed. Finally; I stood my ground and needed a change; it was affecting my everyday life terribly. I've been on the methotrexate 15mg and folic acid 1mg for about two months now and my elbows, hands, feet are clear, my elbows and scalp have decreased dramatically! I have absolutely no side effects which was my biggest fear! Life is good! It's amazing!"

abushy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "33yo male, 8 years of Psoriatic arthritis with very minimal skin involvement, was prescribed MTX in triple therapy with Sulfasalazine and Hydroxychloroquinine for Psoriatic arthritis. After several months of dose escalation, unfortunately it did not help me at all, no major side effects either but no clinical efficacy."

Aussie Beau (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "methotrexate made me sick for days after taking it. I was on it off and on for 7 years and in different ways and all made me sick. If ur not in school or have kids ya its cool it kinda works if u don't have ra bad but if in school or have kids DONT TAKE....."

heavenM. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriasis: "I have had Psoriasis for some number of years, since my 50s started and prior to that nothing more than a dry elbow. I tried all the usual stuff and I mean all of the junk I could waste money on.I broke down an went to derm doc and went with steriod cream and blulight with very little change. So I quit derm doc for a few years and then become desperate as my Psoriasis went totally off the charts, and I started the methotrexate med or as i call it chemo pills. So far the itching seems to have let up a fair amount an I'm only on week one , The side effects are not at all like I had feared .I'm terrified of new medicines as so many meds seem to be on the lawsuit. I have noticed a loss of energy but nothing drastic,and aside from that no problems."

Flaky (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "After becoming sick with this disease doctor initially started me on methotrexate pills and I developed what they call "phantosmia"...I smelled horrible things that weren't there. So we switched to injections and didn't get the smells anymore. Then he started Enbrel as well. I felt good for awhile and decided to stop the methotrexate because it was making me tired and weak. Two years later, I'm back on if because my back and neck were killing me and I'm getting 60-70%r relief after one shot of .8. Pretty happy about that but the trade off of sleeping all day and being weak and nauseated all reminded me of why I stopped too. But it does help so you weigh what's important to you."

Autoimmune mom in the desert November 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ectopic Pregnancy: "My Methotrexate injections made me feel like absolute trash, BUT I am so thankful for this medication because it kept me from needing exploratory surgery to find my ectopic pregnancy. My ectopic was caught very early on due to being monitored with an RE. My number never went above 285. I was given the injection on 10/18/16 and my HcG levels were back down to negative as soon as 11/1/16. The only downside (other than the physical side effects) is that we have to wait 3 more months to try again because the drug can cause birth defects. I felt very weak and tired for a few weeks after my injection but after less than 1 month I'm starting to feel like myself again. If you're reading this and just found out you're having an ectopic-I'm so sorry."

MTXthrowaway November 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA just under a year ago. I started with 10mg tablets with Folic Acid. Initially I suffered from a lot of nausea and bad sleep etc. I must confess though after the first diagnosis every twitch or cough made me think the worst. My Dr. upped my dosage to 12.5mg and changed me to the injection which she said should take away the nausea which worked but the pains remained. She also put me on anti inflamatory pills. Shortly after my last check-up in July, my pains have nearly completely subsided so I didn"

Laguiri October 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Methotrexate helps immensely with my rheumatoid arthritis pain. I know this because I became ill and couldn't get to the doctor for my blood tests so I ran out of my methotrexate and my pain increased dramatically."

rohise (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was started on Plaquenil when diagnosed with RA about two years ago at the end of summer. I told the doctor there was no way I would take MTX. By the following late spring I had what it took me a while to realize was a major flare-up. I already had one pointer finger that couldn't bend, and now the other one was stuck in the out position. I couldn't make fists. So I started on MTX once a week, along with 1 mg of folic acid/day. After about two months I began to see improvements. After a longer time my doctor said I was in remission. I take both Plaquenil and MTX, with few side effects. On my MTX day, and the day after, I'm sometimes low energy, and often slightly queasy. Not enough to keep me from eating entirely."

PearlRiver October 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was put on Methotrexate by my specialist. I was on it for 3 months and had many side effects. I informed my Specialist who said it will pass and doubled my dose. I had 14 side effects and constantly had an upset stomach. I'm 28 so the whole not being able to get pregnant whilst on the drug is a bit of an issue. I am now on a new medication."

Katie-J October 23, 2016