User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Ectopic Pregnancy 3 reviews 0 medications

Gastric Cancer 1 reviews 3 medications

Scleroderma 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Methotrexate reviews 131 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Methotrexate

For Psoriasis: "At age 66, after a very stressful phase of work over 7 months, I developed psoriasis very suddenly. With no previous skin problems & no family history of psoriasis either, I conclude that the stress was the trigger. I had the psoriasis all over but the worst was on my scalp - it felt like an iron band pressing in around my head. The dermatologist prescribed a whole range of creams and ointments over a year. Nothing worked. Finally in Nov. 2015 I was proscribed methotrexate + 1 folic acid tablet weekly. I was told it would take up to 3 months to kick in & it did, but in Aug.'16 I am virtually clear with no side-effects. The dosage has increased to 15 mg weekly & all my blood tests are normal. But will I have to stay on methotrexate for life?"

Aigoual (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 12, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Roughly one year now and methotrexate has been working miracles. I started at 10 mg/week and eventually moved up to 12.5 mg/week. From the outset I was tapering off of 10 mg/day of prednisone but could not completely eliminate it until I moved the methotrexate up to 12.5 mg/week. Per doctors recommendation I'm also taking 5,000 mg of vitamin D daily and 1,000 mg of calcium daily (I don't eat much dairy). Side effects: None, except that I sometimes take a short nap after dinner on "methotrexate day" (I take it after lunch so as not to interfere with my pre-dinner martini(s)). Without methotrexate I could barely walk!"

WalkingAgain August 11, 2016

For Psoriasis: "I have been prescribed methotrexate for psoriatic arthritis at 5 x 2.5 dosage once a week, followed by 3 days of folic acid. The day after I took it for the first time I was disabled with voting, nausea and flu like symptoms. I felt awful but persevered. Week 2 and the same happened but this time with a very runny nose - like a waterfall. I was vomiting so badly that yellow bile was coming out - it felt like the lining of my stomach had been shredded. I stopped taking them. I felt I was dying - bloody awful drug"

Mr Mac (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "When I went to see my doctor, I couldn't even write my name. My hand hurt so badly I couldn't even hold a pen. She examined me, took blood work and gave me a steroid shot. A week later I returned and we discussed my options, and she recommended methotrexate. She went over the side effects ect, I'm into my second week, and I'm happy to say no side effects. 1 injection .06 once a week, folic acid daily. I'm at 80% better, and looking forward to 99%."

Jodiem54 August 6, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I only tried one dose which as a disaster. It did nothing to reduce the pain, first off. I got an immediate flare-up of my psoriasis symptoms on day 1. Days 2,3,4 I was so weak and faint I couldn't stand-up for more than 5 - 10 minutes. I was essentially bed-ridden and unable to eat much for 3 days! Also, I became extremely depressed and spent those 3 days in bed researching ways to kill myself (?!?) I also got mouth sores and bleeding gums. On day 7 the medication finally wore-off and I "snapped-out" of the depression as if a light-switch were turned back on. It was eerie and frightening to think a drug reaction would actually make me want to end my own life! I am sad it didn't work for me. I know others who use it fine."

Nat Kat (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Terrible experience - never again! I started taking the Methotrexate on Thursday morning and felt sick for days! I'm highly sensitive to medication and was given 10mg and 5mg of Folic Acid all days except dose day. I managed to get to work the next day but was very fatigued, vague and couldn’t function too well. I have never felt so tired as I did the weekend after and had to cancel all my plans. From Friday night, I was totally wiped out, no appetite, couldn’t stay awake, tummy ache, headache and since sunday strands of hair have been falling out. My fringe / bangs thinned out & hair kept falling out - after 1 tablet. It was a terrible experience."

Cleo-foxx (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "positive no side effects"

davega July 18, 2016

For Psoriasis: "20 years ago I was put on methotrexate after being diagnosed with psioritic arthritis. At the time I was riddled with pain & had great difficulty walking. Thanks to methotrexate my pains are almost gone & I was able to work to 65 & love walking since I retired. Only prob been April this year when I had a severe reaction to my " new " methatrexate tablets ( my chemist changed supplier) . The pharmacy at the hospital stock my original tablets ( by Orion Pharma & marked 2.5mm ) so all I did was change to a pharmacy that would supply the correct tablets. Wonder how many have had the same prob or even had to come off altogether ???"

Gdad Jimbo (taken for 10 years or more) July 9, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Never felt so Ill! I take 25mg weekly via injection. Never suffered side effects with other medication. This stuff is a horrible poison. Mouth ulcers,sickness that never goes away. Too many bloodtests to count. Constant fatigue. Dull depressed headache's and joint pain which means other pills,which means other pills to counter-act the side effects of the other lot! Ad-infinitum. Depressing really. On the plus side,(there is one suprisingly),more mobility. I am a resident of the UK so our health care system will be alien to you. We all contribute via an employment tax called NATONAL HEALTH CONTRIBUTION'S. And it i's the envy of the Western world. (when it works)"

BadgerboyToo July 9, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I'm curious can methotrexate cause weight gain I rarely eat anymore except for the three days leading up to my next dose I'm fatigued, headaches, weak food causes acid so I must be very careful that I eat bland foods with little fat and since I've only been on it for 5 weeks I'm in the MORE PAIN part of getting used to the meds part of all of this. But how could I possibly feel like I'm gaining weight when I eat next to nothing 4 out of 7 days and club crackers as my only snack"

Donna Varady June 7, 2016

For Psoriasis: "I was on Methotrexate for 3-4 years after trying every option I started 17.5mg when I was 19. It cleared my psoriasis perfectly! I struggled with side effects. Weakness and exhaustion, loss of appetite which lead to severe weight loss, and nausea. I changed to the injections at 20mg, and found a huge differences in side effects. Still not a lot of energy but not going through my stomach was better for the nausea and appetite so I could get healthy. I stayed on methrexate for as long as I could before I felt it was draining me. Now I am off it for 1 year and hav bad psoriasis again i wondering if it's best to go back on. both effect you in different was, emotionally and phsically."

Gmh2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 1, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Mtx for almost 2 yrs. I was diagnosed with JRA when I was 2 yo. I tried Plaquenil when I was about 19 and had an allergic reaction. I had a flare every 5 years or so in my adulthood and took an antibiotic that is prescribed as an off-label treatment for RA until my last flare 2 years ago when I finally gave in and decided to try the Mtx which I fought for years (I am 44). I take 17.5 mg once a week and 1 mg folic acid daily and have no side effects. It works well, but not perfectly and I do still have some pain. Right now I seem to be flaring and may have to try something more. I did try to lower my dose about 4 months ago but that was a disaster. I am glad I tried it and that it works for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Had a terrible experience with this drug. I would never take it again. This drug made me severely depressed to the point of suicidal thoughts. It also gave me a tight feeling in my throat. I Also learned that it could potentially create birth defects if your were to reproduce while on drug. I would recommend using a different option."

RA is not fun (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had taken methotrexate 21 years by the VA . plus Enbrel,Humira, folic acid and more ..well this is a warning ..I now have NASH it's a disease from the meds .cirrossis of the liver. Uncureable! Just change foods . Pray it doesn't get worse. WARNING. WARNING WARNING ,!"

Larrylorenzo May 14, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "After a severe case of Ross River Fever for which i was taking 50 mg Prednisone daily I developed chronic degenerative Polymyalgia Rheumatica, the pain in my arms, neck, hips, knees, hands and ankles was intense and never ending, i tried all the usual pain killers including Oxycontin and Methadone with varying short term success but the mind numbing daily struggle associated with taking Opiates was taking a toll on my life, my Rheum trialed me on 15 mg mtx weekly for 2 months and the result was incredible, the pain in neck and knees almost disappeared after the first week so the Rheum increased dose to 15 mg morning and night once a week, wow what a difference! few side effects and almost pain free, thank you MTX"

Ronnsy (taken for 10 years or more) May 12, 2016

For Psoriasis: "I was diagnosed with psoriasis at the age of 14. My life was hell by the time I was 18. It covered pretty much every where the sun didn't shine. I tried every thing topical, uv light and sun bathing, different diets you name it, I tried it. In my 30's I accepted that the only way I as ever going to have relief was by once every three or so months sun bath until I was so burnt it forced the psoriasis to slow down. I met a random stranger who saw my psoriasis and mentioned methotrexate. He told me his story, so I gave it a try. I hope the people who are complaining after six or even seven weeks stay the course. It took me four moths to see results. I am 40 now and have been %95 clear for the past eight years. 12mg once a week."

AllClear May 7, 2016

For Psoriasis: "After 20 years of psoriasis and having had light treatment and creams I was prescribed cyclosporin which was fantastic. Almost clear within 2 weeks but over a long period of time it affected my kidneys. Been on methotrexate for 1 week 12.5mg per week and no real change. Not as quick as cyclosporin but I am hopeful it will clear soon"

Picnic April 30, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on Methotrexate for 9 months now 20mg once a week with 2 folic acids 2 days later my problem is that whilst the med is working its playing havoc on my liver I've had to come off it as my LFT results were constantly increasing then suddenly doubled. She asked me to have a Biopsy of my liver to work out if it is defiantly the Methotrexate or something else I guess this is what I need to do now. I've finally got myself down to 5mg Prednisone and now the Rheumo has said stop Mtx and see how you go if we need to we can up the Pred I don't want to up the Pred I eat like a horse and put so much weight on I'm hoping theres something else out there that will help me. Already tried Sulfazasaline and got a rash and other side effects."

Teish (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2016

For Psoriasis: "For all the people just starting MTX for psoriasis...patience, it takes time!!!! I have had psoriasis for 20 years worse every year for the last decade, tried ointments, UV therapy, all sorts diets in vain. Started MTX 7.5mg weekly 4 months ago, feeling heart broken the first couple months as I saw no change, but it is happening... at turtle speed I am clearing. After 3 months the itch stopped now I am VERY SLOWLY clearing ( as long as I don't take any alcohol). Dermatologist said at such low dose expect best benefit around 6 months. No side effects!"

Scaly April 2, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Works moderately well and with few side effects for me. I take 7.5-10mg a week along side 200mg twice daily hydroxycloroquine ( plaquenil) and 1mg folic acid 6 times a week ( not on my MTX day) . It's pretty cheap with insurance and even without it. The side effect that I get is metallic taste in mouth / tingles in my tongue towards my bottom teeth and loss of appetite ( which is common to me on any arthritis medications and ever since I got arthritis in the first place ) and feeling slightly sick after I take the pills. The drug definitely has had a positive effect on my pain levels though and has even led to a reduction in my overall meds . I'm feeling much better then I used to and am able to work and have a pretty normal life again."

Cash hardy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Been taking Methotrexate for almost 3 years now. Last fall, I felt good enough that I went off it without my Drs knowledge, because it made me feel pretty ill for a day or so after. What a mistake! I started taking it again about 2 months ago, and although it still makes me sick, it sure beats the pain I`m in without it. (on 25 mg a week, along with Hydroxychloroquin and folic acid)"

Macaroon5 March 6, 2016

For Gastric Cancer: "I have crohn's disease and started methotrexate in conjunction with my remicade treatments, as it was supposed to lessen the chance of developing antibodies to remicade. The biggest effect this drug had on me was psychologically. I became severely depressed (absolutely no history of depression), when I started have some suicidal thoughts I knew I had to stop it (took drug for just 3 months). As soon as I stopped (but continued with remicade) all those symptoms stopped. For me it was one of the scariest drugs I've ever been on and I wanted to put this here, while these side effects seem rare, this was definitely a side effect of taking methotrexate for me, and there may be others."

cw55 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2016

For Psoriasis: "On methotrexate for 20 years, no issues w/liver function. Otezla worked much better, but ins. refused to cover it, back on metho. Psoriasis since age 7, psoriatic arthritis since 40's. Now 54. Increased metho from 10mg/wk to 15/wk, pain and scaling more severe. New patches around my eyes, lids are swollen, painful and itchy. Eyes constantly dry, red, painful, itchy - might have psoriasis and/or psoriatic arthritis in them, going back to rheumatologist and an opthalmologist for help. OTC allergy eye drops, soothing drops and nightly administration of Vaseline in/around eyes not alleviating condition. Very sore all over, sunny weather alleviates the patches and joint/tendon pain. Can't wait to sunbathe! No biologics, cancer scare."

AustinTexas February 12, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am 62, and was diagnosed with RA about 10 years ago, I have been through a battery of drugs to suppress my immune system, ending up on subcutaneous methrotrexate 10mg, I originally had a 'bad day' the day after my injections, however it seems to be getting to be a bad couple of days lately. Intense pressure head ache (I'm also a migraine sufferer), nausea, confusion, tiredness and now really troubled sleep, nightmares, and some visual disruption/ (almost hallucinations), feelings of panic, unease and claustrophobic. I know the alternatives, stop and face RA full on, but I would rather get 3/4 good days than be on the road to being completely disabled."

Nigel G (taken for 10 years or more) February 8, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Been taking mtx, folic and Plaquinel for 1.5 yrs. My biggest side effect is lack of appetite. Not sure if it is the MTX or plaquinel causing this but as a result I feel I have no energy or muscle mass left. I wonder whether it is better to take the drugs or let the RA runs it's course. History of cancer in the family but not seeing any reference to that side effect here"

Jonseycanada February 3, 2016