User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall, Xatmep

Ectopic Pregnancy

1 review 9 medications
UveitisNot rated - Be the first1 review 79 medications
Summary of Methotrexate reviews 7.1 190 reviews

Reviews for Methotrexate

Otrexup (methotrexate) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been using Otrexup for several months now, increasing from a 10mg injection to a 20mg. I have had severe leg cramps in my thigh muscles since beginning this drug. However, I was injecting into the same leg and then leg(s) so maybe I will try the stomach. I am also on Rituxin infusions. These drugs have turned my health around; my RA is now manageable."

Momzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Methotrexate can ruin your lungs very quickly. I now have pulmonary fibrosis because two doctors insisted that it would be fine. They lie and tell you oh you just have interstitial lung disease but it usually stops..Do Not believe them! Take something else!"

Anonymous115 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started on low dose about 18 months ago and gradually increased to 5 tabs weekly along with luecovorin (Folinic acid) since folic acid didn't stop side effects. Had horrible reactions to several other meds. Joints feel better most days except for flare-ups which is when doc says to increase. 8 months ago I started having severe abdominal pain, nausea, and sudden urgent bouts of diarrhea. RA doc said it's NOT MXT. Have had two internal and two external US, lab tests, endoscopy with seven biopsies, gallbladder functions test, etc. They only found that my stomach lining is inflamed. Saw three docs plus RA doc and I still say it's the MTX! Just increased the dose by 1 tab again and I barely made it to the toilet! Now they want to try removing my gallbladder to see if it helps even low no tests showed it's that!!! Pain is on upper right side at bottom of stomach and goes down from there four inches next to belly bottom. Also the GI doc ruled out appendix, diverticulitis, etc. HELP my belly pain!"

Cat (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 1, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Effective for clearing the psoriasis from my skin but no joint relief. Also, the nausea and severe fatigue caused too much interaction with my daily life. I was on 30 mg a week."

karl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 28, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I hated this med! The exhaustion I experienced was completely disabling. Being in pain but awake was better than this."

LN (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My husband was prescribed Methotrexate in February 2016 for sudden severe RA. His symptoms improved. He also took Prednisone and NSAIDs. Early August 2016 he had started on the injectable and maximum dose of Methotrexate. At the end of August he was admitted to hospital with acute Bacteriaemia. He started Intravenous Antibiotics immediately. While on IV Antibiotics he noticed his RA symptoms had disappeared. Methotrexate was stopped immediately but continued on the Prednisone. He came home after a week . Now with Atrial Flutter that had to be ablated after a couple of weeks. The RA Dr would not give him any treatment as he had no symptoms of RA. when he visited. After about six weeks the RA symptoms returned we asked the Dr he could continue on the Antibiotics . She said no, but sent him to an Infectious disease Dr who started him on Minocycline. He is now pain free and active with no joint damage."

DrG2 June 15, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I took one dose of three 2.5 mg tablets and it almost killed me. I ran a fever had chills,diarrhea, and couldn’t breathe well. I am now taking breathing treatments and hopefully will recover without any damage to my body."

Emme June 15, 2018

For Psoriasis: "I am a 40 year old male, and I have been battling psoriasis for about 5 year. It started at the top of my scalp, moved behind my ears and patches around scalp and hairline. It then move down to my waist line, my penis and to my butt crack . For years now, I have had numerous different diagnosis, and a multitude of medications and theories. I finally met one doctor and he said simply… “You have inverse psoriasis, we will put you on methotrexate, no more guesswork“ This is literally the third day I have been on methotrexate and all remnants below the belt are almost 100% gone… Behind my ear is going away and my scalp plaques are literally disappearing already. I am so excited."

Brad - Texas (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "It was good in the beginning after 6 years I was very sick."

Maritza Gonzalez (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2018

For Psoriasis: "I watched a good friend (with psoriasis) deteriorate on this vile drug, taken in rotation, 3 months on, 1 month off for over 3 years. 1 month off? Yes, to give the liver a 'chance to recover'. Really?! His liver suffered so badly, he died within 3 years - from liver and pancreatic cancer. From the beginning of being on this drug my friend's digestion suffered increasingly, as did his immune function. He was always in denial about the role methotrexate played in his poor health - because it did cure his hated psoriasis."

danske May 7, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Methetrexate was given to me for my RA at 15mg once a week by tablet. It gave me mouth ulcers, nausea, great fatigue for one or two days. My knees swelled up more while I was on it. I see a lot of folks take it, the best thing that has helped me is eating mostly vegetables and avoiding dairy , grains and nightshades, but every body responds to food differently."

Anne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "the worst medicine in the market, it almost kill me for I developed Methotrexate induced pneumonia, and I was in the hospital for a week, and developed fibrosis of the lungs. Before you take this HORRIBLE medicine consult with your doctor for an alternative................... had I known what this medicine does to your body I would have never taken it."

Dorian March 4, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "The first two weeks were difficult. I had headaches, Nausea and no appetite. But by third week, I was feeling better. I told doctor about my reaction to the drug and she put me on Self Injection of drug, once a week. I cannot tell you how much better I feel. But then I thought WAIT, what if I had been going through a remission episode? Either way, I have never felt better. Now I am going to start a rotation of Infusions. I feel like someone got something right for a change. I totally credit my excellent doctor and her choice of treatment, Years and years of constant pain was almost more than I could take. But I was in so much pain that any reduction felt like a cure"

Oregon girl February 6, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I took the maximum dosage of this medication for 10 years and toward the end, the side effects were horrible. It did a wonderful job of keeping my Psoriatic Arthritis at bay but at a cost. Fatigue is terrible. I would take it Saturday night so that initial side effects occurred while I slept. Every Sunday was a sleep day. My stomach felt like it was burnt. The last straw was psychosis and depression which gradually and subtly developed over time. I told my doctor I refused to take this medication anymore. She prescribed Enbrel and I am much happier. It works well without the "MTX Hangover.""

Tom K. (taken for 10 years or more) January 28, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: " Please don't take this medicine. It eventually will cause liver, kidney and other ailments. It made my moms overall health deteriorate "

Maelizzy January 22, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I started on Sulfasalazine in 1997 and have been on methotrexate for about 18 months. I have noticed hair loss and sleep problems and mood changes and memory fuzziness, I have to write things down or I forget them. The days I am off Methotrexate my hands swell up and I also fall a sleep in the afternoon ."

Inspector Gadget December 15, 2017

For Psoriasis: "Have done 3 'rounds' of this, 4 weeks each and have never been so exhausted, sick to my stomach and out of it. It helped clear up the Guttate psoriasis and inverse psoriasis but didn't do much for the psoriatic arthritis."

Redfear (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2017

For Psoriasis: "Sooo I'm 26 been suffering 5 years. It started in my scalp and then spread to my ears eye lids elbows knees and little patches on my torso. Last year to my horror it decided to make an appearance on my penis and stayed and got worse for the whole year. At this point I was as low as a man could be. Constantly on my mind constantly severely depressed with it and was annoyed with things that don't work. I was in lots of pain and self confidence non existent just wishing for a life with nice skin. Three weeks ago I was put on methotrexate. One week later my penis was totally and i mean totally clear and has stayed clear "

Snapchat- tommy199003 November 21, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "After 3rd dose swelling and pain significantly decreased almost to normal. Only side effect thus far has been fatigue and decreased appetite."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Made me very tired! Had no appetite."

Cali_girl3 (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA) at 7 years old. I have been on a number of medications including Methotrexate, the only reason being my vision. I am now 18 years old and have been using the medication for about a year now, but have used it before and have the same bad experience with it. I take the medication weekly, every Thursday. After I take the dosage I immediately feel nauseous, and it does not just last for that day. It lasts throughout the whole weekend. I am not an advocate for this drug and would not recommend it to anyone. I feel as if it is making my body deteriorate, and I'm so young..."

prob8899 October 19, 2017

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Second time around with the methotrexate .I use it as a bridge drug until I find one that works. I was on enbrel and humira for past 15 yrs. both worked extremely well but lost potency after about 7 yrs. Now in search of new drug now trying Otezla it's not a biological and has less side effects of all others I have researched. I don't like the methotrexate. Long term because of hair loss and the continued dosing changes. But fortunately now we have many drugs to choose from finding one that works and is safe and effective is the dilemma."

Mattcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started taking Methotrexate on Saturday Sept. 2nd.. My doc wants me to start on six 2.5mg tablets once a week.Today is Day 3 Tuesday ,the 5th and I feel like rubbish. I am completely drained of all motivation and energy. My head is far from clear thinking. I still have joint pain and a lot of the side affects. I've been on Prednisone for over 3 months, Gained close to 20 lbs. Started with 60mg then 40mg now 30mg..This got rid of the pain for me but now that I'm taking Methotrexate, the pain comes and goes and my upper stomach is way off...My anxiety is through the roof too..."

daily pain (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2017

For Psoriasis: "I have been with psoriasis for the past ten years. I went to 3 different doctors, specialist. I treated for an anti fungus condition, and I was also treated for ringworms too. I have tried everything apparently available on the shelves, and it cost me so much money too. Went online and found a clinic. With only positive reviews. give it a go, and I was prescribed Methotrexate- for only five days. I swear my skin has cleared 85 percent. No itchy, tiny patches. All my friends haven't stop complimenting me. Now I must say that I have been using only paraben free kinds of stuff for hairs and body and kept moisturizing with Aveeno. (no peanuts at all)it's a super trigger for psoriasis- my laundry is also washed with only baby products."

evlinaa (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2017

For Psoriasis: "I've had psoriasis since I was 7 years old, I am now 17 and was put on methotrexate in January. My psoriasis was completely covering my back and torso to the point where I couldn't bend over as it would cause the skin to crack, leaving me often times covered in blood and under severe pain. Now 6 months on my psoriasis is 99% gone, with a stubborn few plaques remaining on my legs stomach and back, but extremely small (size of a pea!). However the areas where the psoriasis once was is left with a darker pigment to the rest of my skin, I am hoping with continued use it shall fade over time. I've experienced no side effects of this medicine (my dermatologist said I was a good candidate as I'm younger and have a stronger immune system."

dylanw2u (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2017