User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Otrexup, Trexall, Rasuvo, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Xatmep, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Folex PFS

Ectopic Pregnancy

UveitisNot rated - Add rating1 review 81 medications
Summary of Methotrexate reviews 6.9 208 reviews

Reviews for Methotrexate

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2019

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Was on methotrexate for 5 months for Psoriatic Arthritis (PA). The drug completely cleared my skin but did not help at all with joint inflammation. Pain increased while on the drug and x-rays showed my PA still progressed while taking the methotrexate. My fatigue significantly worsened while on this drug, to the point that I was struggling to do basic day-to-day tasks. Doctor took me off methotrexate and put me on Humira and I feel much better in regards to pain and fatigue, although some small psoriasis patches are coming back."

Patira · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have Possibly reactive arthritis but doctor is not sure. I have been on methotrexate for more than a month at a dose of little 15 mg a week and folic acid. No side effects at all so far but no help either. No improvements."

Mary lou · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2019

For Psoriasis: "I was just diagnosed which psoriasis about 2 months ago. I tried all kinds of creams and ointments, put my feet in Saran Wrap when I went to sleep. Nothing seems to work. It's on the bottom of my feet and my hands. My hands are scaly dry and cracked and my hands hurt all the time. My feet are dried and cracked with scales all over them mostly it hurts my heels when I walk. The doctor put me on this medication and with folic acid to. I've been on it a week now haven't seen any results yet still in a lot of pain hope it works."

Jk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 28, 2019

For Psoriasis: "I have suffered from psoriasis for about 12 years but had a serious bout of arthritis 2 years before that so psoriatic arthritis. Was able to stay away from chemicals for years managed using supplements but it carried on spreading. Finally referred to dermatologist and was on cyclosporine for over a year, had to come off due to effect on gums and high BP which was controlled with tablets. On methotrexate since October, no nausea etc but had lots of urine issues in the beginning which I later realised was actually due to too much folic acid, lowered the folic acid dose and it was sorted. Recently realized that my joints and muscles have been hurting since I started methotrexate. Painful feet legs etc effecting my everyday exercise routines so will be speaking to dermatologist about it in about two weeks."

Bexsy · Taken for 10 years or more April 23, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My mum has DIED, she had RA in hands & knees. She was given THIS DRUG 13yrs ago. NO 1 told her/us its ALSO ANTI-CANCER drug, it destroys immune system, blood cells etc. YES, it relieves RA, but in 6 months mum went from 6ft tall 10 stone lady to a wheezing, weak, 6 stone shadow of her former self, mum died April 7 2019, she was home & arrested. At hospital 10pm, 1am they said she wouldn't survive? They did EVERY test, bloods/fluids/scans, NOTHING showed. She had lines in neck, drips everywhere, they treated for lots & hoped it worked. But at 5am advised us TURN OFF her life support. Drs were baffled. When they got GP info, & we mentioned methotraxate their faces dropped, they didn't blame meds solely, but they DID explain meds have knock on effect, & with prolonged use they can cause break downs in parts of body. More info should be available, to look out for signs & symptoms about this drug. Please keep getting checked out. Mum had blood tests monthly & nothing showed, she NEVER missed appointment. I'd stay clear of these meds"

Nicky · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 29, 2019

For Psoriasis: "For the past 40 years affected by psoriasis 20-30% of areas of my body including scalp and face. Mainly no itching. After heavy activity in sun, may be slight itching in some places. Tried so many medications. But only temporarily some methods cured my condition. Methotrexate in the form of dermatrex 10mg tablet one per week and folic acid tablets initially for the first two weeks 6 days a week and from third week onwards three days following the methotrexate. Within a months time all the skin eruptions gone. In the 2nd month Methotrexate 7.5 mg tablet once per week followed by folic acid tablet was specified. From third month on not taking any medicine. Two months gone - no problem. I will give a feed back in future."

Trista · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 21, 2019

For Psoriasis: "I've been on Methotrexate for 3 1/2 years for a mystery rash, 4 areas on my thighs, 4 on my back and one in my heel. Dosage scaled up to 20mg 1x per week and I recently reduced to 7.5mg/week. Folic acid 1mg/day. It did eliminate my rash, where no other drug, aside from prednisone, would. I developed tinnitus (ears ringing) 3 weeks ago and discontinued methotrexate. Ears are ringing constantly. I believe it is from methotrexate, I have otherwise excellent health and hearing. Wondering if anyone else has experienced ears ringing from methotrexate. I have not had any other side effects others have reported - hair thinning, liver impairment, etc."

mamabear · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was on 12.5 mg of methotrexate/week for 6 weeks. Gradually got more tired and more brain fog as each week went by. My hair was falling out at an alarming rate. By week 6 I was having heart palpitations. Joints felt good but everything else not so much. I stopped using and after 3 days felt much better."

BooBoo's Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started a low dose of Methotrexate in October and had no changes. In December my Rheum increased my dose and it was like a switch was turned on. Within a week, I felt better than I have in years. I did have a case of "thrush" not long after it was increased and a vaginal yeast infection. I have developed fissures on my tongue but I'm over that - treated - and feeling great. I do get fatigued the day after I take my dose (I take it twice a week) - but that passes quickly. I've also noticed when my doc gives me a shot, it is not as taxing as taking the pills. Lucky for me he says I can just get the shot instead if you want! Having vitamin B12 shots is also the key - I'm doing shots at home - 1/2 dose every two weeks instead of every 4. Life is good."

Yay December 28, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am 32 year old and a mother of two boys working full-time. I was on methotrexate for 2.5 years (10 mg per week oral). It did work and I had little side effects in the beginning. However, about 1-1.5 years in I became extremely fatigued and even depressed. I did not feel like myself. I read in other blogs that people had the same feelings as I did so I was glad I wasn’t alone. I was at a point in my journey where I could try and get off the medication . After only two weeks off the medication I felt amazing! Back to my old self! Both my husband and I were amazed. Fatigue gone. No longer going to bed at 7:30 pm. No more depression feelings. And thank goodness my RA symptoms have not reappeared. I do follow a strict dairy free, gluten free, almost pescatarian diet that I believe has a huge impact on RA. So if anyone is feeling this way please talk to your doctor and try a different approach to tackling your RA if you cannot live with the frustration of the fatigue and depression."

rhirhi · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on methotrexate for a couple of months now, I’m not certain whether we just caught my disease at a good time but this medication has been 110% effective for me. I have had no symptoms since it kicked in (took a while), the most that will happen because of the medication is the day after I take it I will feel a little tired (was worse in the beginning), anyways please make sure you don’t read reviews and judge the medication from that. I nearly scared myself silly doing that, trust in your rheumatologist and follow the process. The medicine reacts with different people in different ways, I am definitely one of the lucky ones. I am 25 and methotrexate has given me back the lifestyle of a 25 year old!"

Gooddogs2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on methotrexate for 6 weeks and have had no side effects. Has greatly reduced my RA symptoms along with 5mg daily dose of prednisone. I can walk again and no pain in hands. It’s worked well for me."

Maisie · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 12, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on 15mg then 20mg for two years. Then developed constant explosive diarrhea, dizziness, and confusion. Judged to be allergic, and told to stop the medication immediately. The symptoms continue...how long before it gets better? I am not taking anything for RA right now after a week off methotrexate."

Ky girl · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 11, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This medicine is the worst. Do not take. My mom died of liver cancer because of this drug."

Anonymous October 1, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Been on and off methotrexate for the last 14 years. I got psoriatic arthritis at 22, now 36. It takes time to work, around 2-3 months. Folic acid every Thurs and Fri. I usually only have 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks at the weekend and liver ok. I also use Dandrazol 2% shampoo in my face, which seems to help the skin. Dry after and use tea tree moisturiser. Also, must take vitamin D over colder months. Rishi a natural drug also helps"

Katy September 17, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was put on Methotrexate over 3 years ago. The third week of injection I crashed. Confusion overall sick feeling had to take an antidote. This medication caused irritable bowel syndrome itching hives and just made me sicker. I would not recommend this medication."

Ccd August 29, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Please don't take this medicine. My mother had taken this once a week for 12years, it did help her RA but not greatly, then she died suddenly. An autopsy confirmed this medicine destroyed all her blood cells."

momsrh · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My family doctor and Rheumatoid specialists both suggested Methotrexate for my R.A. I read several sites and decided I would find my own way without this terrible drug. I went to India for Ayurvedic treatment, and as of today, not quite 2 years later, I have no pain, I have not suffered any side effects from this drug, and I can function normally. It pains me to see the accounts of people whose lives have been ruined by Methotrexate. There is a safer easier (and less expensive in the long run) to handle arthritis. Medical doctors will cringe to read this, but I'm living proof!!"

Momzie · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2018

Otrexup (methotrexate) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been using Otrexup for several months now, increasing from a 10mg injection to a 20mg. I have had severe leg cramps in my thigh muscles since beginning this drug. However, I was injecting into the same leg and then leg(s) so maybe I will try the stomach. I am also on Rituxin infusions. These drugs have turned my health around; my RA is now manageable."

Anonymous115 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Methotrexate can ruin your lungs very quickly. I now have pulmonary fibrosis because two doctors insisted that it would be fine. They lie and tell you oh you just have interstitial lung disease but it usually stops..Do Not believe them! Take something else!"

Cat · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 1, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started on low dose about 18 months ago and gradually increased to 5 tabs weekly along with luecovorin (Folinic acid) since folic acid didn't stop side effects. Had horrible reactions to several other meds. Joints feel better most days except for flare-ups which is when doc says to increase. 8 months ago I started having severe abdominal pain, nausea, and sudden urgent bouts of diarrhea. RA doc said it's NOT MXT. Have had two internal and two external US, lab tests, endoscopy with seven biopsies, gallbladder functions test, etc. They only found that my stomach lining is inflamed. Saw three docs plus RA doc and I still say it's the MTX! Just increased the dose by 1 tab again and I barely made it to the toilet! Now they want to try removing my gallbladder to see if it helps even low no tests showed it's that!!! Pain is on upper right side at bottom of stomach and goes down from there four inches next to belly bottom. Also the GI doc ruled out appendix, diverticulitis, etc. HELP my belly pain!"

karl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 28, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Effective for clearing the psoriasis from my skin but no joint relief. Also, the nausea and severe fatigue caused too much interaction with my daily life. I was on 30 mg a week."

LN · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I hated this med! The exhaustion I experienced was completely disabling. Being in pain but awake was better than this."

DrG2 June 15, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My husband was prescribed Methotrexate in February 2016 for sudden severe RA. His symptoms improved. He also took Prednisone and NSAIDs. Early August 2016 he had started on the injectable and maximum dose of Methotrexate. At the end of August he was admitted to hospital with acute Bacteriaemia. He started Intravenous Antibiotics immediately. While on IV Antibiotics he noticed his RA symptoms had disappeared. Methotrexate was stopped immediately but continued on the Prednisone. He came home after a week . Now with Atrial Flutter that had to be ablated after a couple of weeks. The RA Dr would not give him any treatment as he had no symptoms of RA. when he visited. After about six weeks the RA symptoms returned we asked the Dr he could continue on the Antibiotics . She said no, but sent him to an Infectious disease Dr who started him on Minocycline. He is now pain free and active with no joint damage."

Emme June 15, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I took one dose of three 2.5 mg tablets and it almost killed me. I ran a fever had chills,diarrhea, and couldn’t breathe well. I am now taking breathing treatments and hopefully will recover without any damage to my body."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)