User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Rasuvo, Otrexup, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Trexall, Xatmep RediTrex

Methotrexate has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 246 ratings on Drugs.com. 56% of those users who reviewed Methotrexate reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Systemic Sclerosis   8.5
Uveitis  Off-label 1 reviews 81 medications
Summary of Methotrexate reviews 6.7 246 reviews

Reviews for Methotrexate

Colorado DM patient · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 1, 2021

For Dermatomyositis: “It took a good year from my first symptoms (body rash that itched like crazy!) to getting a rheumatologist. He started with plaquenil then started me on 20mg of methotrexate which finally cleared up my facial redness. I was able to start working out regularly again and my bumps on my knuckles went away too. It did work for me but I do have side affects as well. I have about 12-24 hours of feeling kinda crappy after my weekly metho dose. But I am thankful for how it has cleared many of my DM symptoms. As the years go on I have noticed a slight lapse in efficacy but it still does a good job.”

Samuel February 3, 2021

For Eczema: “I have had severe eczema since I was 16 went through many different treatments and still do. From steroid creams, prednisone, dupixent, hyrdroxizine, and doxepin only steroid creams have worked however hydroxizine and doxepin have helped me sleep at night. When I thought all was lost because dupixent was ineffective for me. My doctor offered methotrexate I have been on methotrexate for about 20 weeks now the first 8 or so weeks I thought it was not working but around week 10 my skin started getting very clear no more scaling and cracking and major peeling in general it has made my skin 100 times better. I have dry skin and redness in certain areas but apply a steroid cream triamincinolne and it helps with the skin irritation when it flares up. Methotrexate has been very good for me in general. Many are afraid to take methotrexate because it is a chemo drug and has potentially severe side effects. Dupixent definitely is the thing to try first due to potential side effects of mtx”

Ducky January 24, 2021

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Im on methotrexate 2.5 mg four pills 1x a week for around 5-6 years for RA. I feel good when taking this medicine correctly and on time. I had got sick from taking too many antibiotics for urinary track infection and was told to stop taking methotrexate because I had to take a powerful medicine to get my health back to normal and methotrexate may interact with that medicine. I went off for almost 1 1/2 months and RA kicked in bad, I was finished with the other medicine so I went back on methotrexate and the RA subsided. My point is, this medication really does help and never just go off it because you don’t feel any pain anymore, and you think you are cured believe me it’s the medication that’s working, you are not cured you’ll always have RA. I take mine once a week every Saturday and I feel great, if you skip a dose or 2 believe me ,you will know you skipped it, take it every week same day same time and you’ll feel as though you are cured , and I have had no side affects what so ever.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 15, 2021

For Eczema: “Worked for my skin really well unfortunately had to stop because it was making my hair brittle and thinner it was falling out to much for me to continue taking the medication.”

Mel · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 14, 2021

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Started methotrexate in April for RA, pain in hands, knees, hips, fingers and toes. Started on 7.5mg injections but didn't see any difference. Slowly progressed to 15 mg and I'm now just having odd pains here and there, mainly if I've overdone things. Started on folic acid 5mg ever day but it made me feel so ill, now only take it once a week which my rheumatologist is fine with and I feel absolutely fine. No adverse side effects from methotrexate either. Yes my hair is thinner but no so anyone notices, eyelashes a bit sparse now but still there. I was so apprehensive to try this drug but at 45 I didn't want it to progress to the stage where I couldn't live a normal life. I know it's not for everyone but for me it's really helped.”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 26, 2020

For Psoriasis: “Wonderful”

chungus · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 23, 2020

For Psoriasis: “I took methotrexate for about a year and a half before I took my self off it for about 2 years , I didn't experience much other than it had completely cleared my psoriasis. However saying this when ever I did take it I just felt unwell, I cannot explain how it made me feel but I can still vividly remember it. Due to my skin become increasingly worse, I have been forced to go back on this medication.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2020

For Dermatomyositis: “I was put on methotrexate for Dermatomyositis and it made me very sick! A low dose once a week did nothing to me but it didn’t help either then I was put on a higher dose and I was unable to get out bed except for the restroom and to shower with help. I felt like I had a really bad case of the flu but worse. I had red patches all over me and chills, fever and the patches on my skin were very hot. There was no in between dose for me. Methotrexate just didn’t work out for me.”

SwollenSue November 6, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on methotrexate for almost two months now for RA. I was petrified to take it but so glad I did now. I am feeling a lot better and I have NO side effects. Wishing you the best!”

christy November 4, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Hi all. Methotrexate - don't take it full stop. Leflunimide - don't take that either! I'm now about 38 kg Dr are hopeless and I feel like life is dissipating out of me in front of my children. You can't help yourself on methotrexate as you don't know what you're doing. It's like auto pilot, surviving not living and your still in pain. Better to eat no gluten no dairy no night shades. Look up what causes inflammation. Rest, eat well, make love, laugh, dance don't stress have good people around you. Love yourself. My daughter lost her first baby at birth two years ago. Now her mum may go before her grandmother. So sad as I found a nice man, finally good people friends around me and isn't it the way. Then you die at 46”

Saurabh singh November 2, 2020

For Psoriasis: “I just take this methotrexate for 2 days of 5mg and I felt very tired , dizziness and loss appetite too. This is really not a good medicine. Don't take this please”

VinVin November 1, 2020

For Psoriasis: “Hi I suffered from Psoriasis for 7/8 months with acutely cracked feet and hands. It was painful & embarrassing. I tried all therapies - homeopathy naturopathy. Ayurvedic treatments, nothing worked. Then I resorted to Allopathy- Doctor started with steroidal creams on cracks and they healed a bit. But later after 2 months he put me on Folitrax 10 mg and I responded well with no discomfort. Then he increased to 15 mg till today (10 months of treatment )with DOM- DT , folitrax 15 and a folic acid tab 24 hr later/ week. --- I get at times discomfort in head and stomach but you should not lie down after these meds-- work and be more active ! I started getting hair fall so Doc gave me cal pentothenate. - I have totally stopped - milk products, nightshades and all gluten. I have lactose free milk, jwar bajra ragi flour and white of egg, pulses ( no kidney beans or chanas) veggies with least condiments. I am now thankful for my soft n supple hands and feet.”

Bevp September 1, 2020

For Psoriasis: “Was on methotrexate for over a year for Psoriasis. First tablet form then changed to injections. Was stopped due to pains in side 2 weeks in on injections. Have just started cyclosporin 100mg twice a day to be increased to 150mg after 4 weeks and the difference in my hands psoriasis is amazing after just one week on methotrexate”

Dames · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 24, 2020

For Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: “I was officially diagnosed with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (JIA) at 14 and they put me on methotrexate. I experienced more pain on it than not and the reaction it had with my nervous system had my stomach churning and and me sitting in the bathroom in case I got physically sick from it (which ended up happening a few times).”

Lady · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 22, 2020

For Lymphoma: “Methotrexate was one of the most terrible experiences of my life. I was put on it for Lupus The side effects were so severe that I now have medication anxiety. I regret ever taking this medication!!”

thewayofknowing · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2020

“I have fibromyalgia and Low dose methotrexate is what saved my life. No Cymbalta No Lyrics work for severe debilitating cases. I was already maxed out on Sulfasalazine and still not quite up to the mark. A little tinge of methotrexate (7.5mg / week) was all it took to get back on track. Supplement with folate 3 days of the week (avoid folate 3 days following the day of the dose, otherwise it interferes with absorption) & Regular blood work”

FALLEN · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2020

For Psoriasis: “After 2 weeks of METHOTROXATE usage, I don't see any improvements. My skin and nails is getting worse, like every day before using any drugs at all. Basically "Zero" effect from this METHAOROXATE.”

Scratched the itch · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2020

For Eczema: “Methotrexate stopped my rashes. I itched, scratched and bled. I was diagnosed with acute eczema --atopic dermatitis--immune disorder. Because the problem is the skin making too many skin cells, the over-abundant new cells try to kick out the older healthy cells. This makes you itch. My itch was uncontrollable with topicals and creams. Methotrexate works by destroying the work of folic acid (needed to build healthy cells). You need to know that a few people may develop lung webbing from methotrexate. You may feel a bit more tired and have more strange BMs a day or two after dosing. It worked for me and is generic and inexpensive. All drugs have side effects”

Marzanna · Taken for 10 years or more March 10, 2020

For Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: “I am a 24 year old female. Diagnosed with JIA (juvenile Idiopathic arthritis) when I was 2. I've been taking Methotrexate since I was 10 years old. Worked like a charm with basically no side effects and only an occasional arthritis or uveitis flare up (maybe once every 3-4 years). Started having side effects approximately 2 years ago. I get stomach and headache the day I take my dose (20 mg - been on that dose for the last 6 years) or the next day, it basically makes me unable to do anything and I have to lie down and just let it all pass. Doc said they'll put me on Humira this year because my uveitis in left eye has been active 2 years already and corticosteroid eye drops seems to be ineffective. I think Methotrexate really did help me a lot and I would recommend taking it.”

Badger · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2020

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “Didn't want to take this drug methotrexate was anxious after reading various reviews and stuff on internet but Dr advised I needed it for my arthritis (psoriatic) also said that when I felt the results I'd wished I'd taken it before now. I also like a drink he said so do I have one just don't go daft. So far bloods are ok and he was right - wished I'd tried methotrexate ages ago. Before taking it I couldn't fasten laces, walk down stairs, hands were painful found it hard to do my job and ankle pain. What a difference this drug has made virtually pain free and now I am using stairs etc as normal it took me a little while to get used to it it and it does make me tired for a day or so after I take it but after that I feel great. I hope this helps someone.”

Gcq1109 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 22, 2020

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “I take 8 pills once a week. 4 in morning 4 in evening. At first thought it was so awful, no appetite, no energy, upset stomach. Then changed to taking dosage to 2 times in that day has helped. Still have appetite loss and some foods make me feel ill. My pain is gone so I applaud methotrexate. I take swim aerobics now trying to build strength up. Only problem is I have low hemoglobin but I am sure Dr will figure out. I take 2 folic acid daily. I am prediabetic, take metformin but no drinking.”

TheProf · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

For Ectopic Pregnancy: “I ended up needing 2 doses and begging them to not give me a third from my not-so-cozy hospital room where I was hooked up to a dilaudid pain pump because I was in a ridiculous amount of abdominal pain with a side dose of nausea and dizziness. The first injection was definitely much more than uncomfortable, and I am so sorry if you are dealing with this drug and an ectopic. I still have PTSD when I hear it mentioned in commercials. I was exhausted, nauseous, and in pain for a bit over a week when they hit me with the second dose and it was game over after that.”

Nana · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Been on methotrexate for five months now. It still makes me nauseous, and I hate continuing with these injections. I see my doctor in March. If I have to continue with them, I'm going to ask for oral instead. I still have a lot of pain in my hands, hips, back knees. Everywhere. Is this medication helping anybody?”

Nisha · Taken for 10 years or more February 11, 2020

For Systemic Sclerosis: “The pill form has worked better for me. But it comes with moods swings”

Rock528 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 26, 2020

“I love this drug methotrexate for Lupus. Cheap and effective. I've been on it about 6 months now. No adverse reactions beyond fatigue, headache and nausea about 32 hours after. Yes, not pleasant, but for me they faded by week 5 (or I got used to them). Worth it because my joint swelling is now under control. I can use stairs, walk without limping and don't need any joints drained. And it's $11 a month. I'm glad I tried it. Works for me.”