Does methotrexate cause weight gain?
What effect does leflunomide, prednisone and TNFi on weight?
Methotrexate was shown to cause a modest amount of weight gain over 6 months, in a study measuring weight changes in people with rheumatoid arthritis.
The patients who were most likely to gain weight when starting methotrexate, were patients who had recently lost weight due to rheumatoid arthritis. The methotrexate weight gain may return them back to their normal baseline weight.
In the this study
- TNFi (tumor necrosis factor inhibitors) showed the same amount of weight gain as methotrexate
- prednisone showed a larger weight gain than methotrexate
- leflunomide showed a modest weight loss compared to methotrexate
There is a greater risk of death for rheumatoid arthritis patients who
- have unintentional weight loss
- are obese
If you have concerns about weight gain or weight loss when you are starting methotrexate it is important to discuss this with your healthcare professional.
It is a good idea to have your starting weight recorded and then at regular intervals have it remeasured so you can quickly identify any changes and act accordingly.
Methotrexate Medication Information: https://www.drugs.com/methotrexate.html
Changes in Body Mass Related to the Initiation of Disease Modifying Therapies in Rheumatoid Arthritis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4963297/
Current and early life weight and associations with mortality in rheumatoid arthritis: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30719967/
Related medical questions
- Why should I take folic acid with methotrexate?
- How do I know if methotrexate is working for rheumatoid arthritis?
- How long does it take for methotrexate to work?
- What are the different brands of methotrexate?
- How long does methotrexate stay in your system?
- What causes Plaque Psoriasis?
- How does methotrexate work for ectopic pregnancy?
- Methotrexate Information for Consumers
- Methotrexate prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Methotrexate (detailed)
Related support groups
- Methotrexate (74 questions, 450 members)