User Reviews for Methotrexate to treat Psoriatic Arthritis

Also known as: Trexall, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Xatmep, RediTrex

Methotrexate has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 26 ratings for the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis. 42% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Methotrexate Rating Summary

5.9/10 average rating

Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Reviews for Methotrexate

Badger · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2020

“Didn't want to take this drug methotrexate was anxious after reading various reviews and stuff on internet but Dr advised I needed it for my arthritis (psoriatic) also said that when I felt the results I'd wished I'd taken it before now. I also like a drink he said so do I have one just don't go daft. So far bloods are ok and he was right - wished I'd tried methotrexate ages ago. Before taking it I couldn't fasten laces, walk down stairs, hands were painful found it hard to do my job and ankle pain. What a difference this drug has made virtually pain free and now I am using stairs etc as normal it took me a little while to get used to it it and it does make me tired for a day or so after I take it but after that I feel great. I hope this helps someone.”

Franky · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2020

“I've been taking a combo therapy of sulfasalazine and methodextrate for 5 months. Started at 15 mg. Per week and now down to 5mg. Sulfasalazine remained same the same. Each month inflamation markers are lower. When diagnosed, marker was 24 and last visit was 3. The swelling decreased a lot and don't have the level of pain when first started. Side effects are minimal. Tired the day after but nothing too major. Hair thinning. Still able to bodybuild daily. As a matter of fact, after starting methodextrate, I've felt better overall and have been able to pack on more muscle. Overall, good experience”

Gcq1109 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 22, 2020

“I take 8 pills once a week. 4 in morning 4 in evening. At first thought it was so awful, no appetite, no energy, upset stomach. Then changed to taking dosage to 2 times in that day has helped. Still have appetite loss and some foods make me feel ill. My pain is gone so I applaud methotrexate. I take swim aerobics now trying to build strength up. Only problem is I have low hemoglobin but I am sure Dr will figure out. I take 2 folic acid daily. I am prediabetic, take metformin but no drinking.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2019

“Was on methotrexate for 5 months for Psoriatic Arthritis (PA). The drug completely cleared my skin but did not help at all with joint inflammation. Pain increased while on the drug and x-rays showed my PA still progressed while taking the methotrexate. My fatigue significantly worsened while on this drug, to the point that I was struggling to do basic day-to-day tasks. Doctor took me off methotrexate and put me on Humira and I feel much better in regards to pain and fatigue, although some small psoriasis patches are coming back.”

Megan NZ · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2015

“Methotrexate has a profound effect on my life. I have been taking it for nearly 5 months and can walk freely again after 6 long months of suffering. I have experienced no major side effects and have even lost a little weight which was surprising. Another pleasing change was not only did my arthritis clear up rapidly but my skin has cleared as well. My nails are also smoother and less pitted. Methotrexate is truly a wonder drug. It has transformed my life. It is remarkable.”

Anonymous February 17, 2012

“Been on methotrexate for a few years, started with one pill than nine pills. Now I do injection 25mg weekly for about a year now. I know there is no cure and I am thankful this medicine has made it possible to chase grandson around daily.”

MoneyMan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 22, 2013

“I have been using 20 mg for over a year with few side effects. It didn't take away pain and stiffness 100%, so my doctor included Humira. With both meds I am virtually pain free, stiffness and inflamation gone. Before I began treatment, I couldn't tie my shoes, write a letter, or open a jar. Now all of those activities are effortless.”

Tom K. · Taken for 10 years or more January 28, 2018

“I took the maximum dosage of this medication for 10 years and toward the end, the side effects were horrible. It did a wonderful job of keeping my Psoriatic Arthritis at bay but at a cost. Fatigue is terrible. I would take it Saturday night so that initial side effects occurred while I slept. Every Sunday was a sleep day. My stomach felt like it was burnt. The last straw was psychosis and depression which gradually and subtly developed over time. I told my doctor I refused to take this medication anymore. She prescribed Enbrel and I am much happier. It works well without the "MTX Hangover."”

Anonymous October 1, 2018

“Been on and off methotrexate for the last 14 years. I got psoriatic arthritis at 22, now 36. It takes time to work, around 2-3 months. Folic acid every Thurs and Fri. I usually only have 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks at the weekend and liver ok. I also use Dandrazol 2% shampoo in my face, which seems to help the skin. Dry after and use tea tree moisturiser. Also, must take vitamin D over colder months. Rishi a natural drug also helps”

Cash hardy · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 20, 2016

“Works moderately well and with few side effects for me. I take 7.5-10mg a week along side 200mg twice daily hydroxycloroquine ( plaquenil) and 1mg folic acid 6 times a week ( not on my MTX day) . It's pretty cheap with insurance and even without it. The side effect that I get is metallic taste in mouth / tingles in my tongue towards my bottom teeth and loss of appetite ( which is common to me on any arthritis medications and ever since I got arthritis in the first place ) and feeling slightly sick after I take the pills. The drug definitely has had a positive effect on my pain levels though and has even led to a reduction in my overall meds . I'm feeling much better then I used to and am able to work and have a pretty normal life again.”

Nat Kat · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2016

“I only tried one dose which as a disaster. It did nothing to reduce the pain, first off. I got an immediate flare-up of my psoriasis symptoms on day 1. Days 2,3,4 I was so weak and faint I couldn't stand-up for more than 5 - 10 minutes. I was essentially bed-ridden and unable to eat much for 3 days! Also, I became extremely depressed and spent those 3 days in bed researching ways to kill myself (?!?) I also got mouth sores and bleeding gums. On day 7 the medication finally wore-off and I "snapped-out" of the depression as if a light-switch were turned back on. It was eerie and frightening to think a drug reaction would actually make me want to end my own life! I am sad it didn't work for me. I know others who use it fine.”

Cleo-foxx · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2016

“Terrible experience - never again! I started taking the Methotrexate on Thursday morning and felt sick for days! I'm highly sensitive to medication and was given 10mg and 5mg of Folic Acid all days except dose day. I managed to get to work the next day but was very fatigued, vague and couldn’t function too well. I have never felt so tired as I did the weekend after and had to cancel all my plans. From Friday night, I was totally wiped out, no appetite, couldn’t stay awake, tummy ache, headache and since sunday strands of hair have been falling out. My fringe / bangs thinned out & hair kept falling out - after 1 tablet. It was a terrible experience.”

Inspector Gadget December 15, 2017

“I started on Sulfasalazine in 1997 and have been on methotrexate for about 18 months. I have noticed hair loss and sleep problems and mood changes and memory fuzziness, I have to write things down or I forget them. The days I am off Methotrexate my hands swell up and I also fall a sleep in the afternoon .”

Karinttt · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 9, 2013

“I've been on methotrexate for 3 years at 8 tablets (2.5 mgs). For some reason I only have psoriasis on my hands and then only my thumbs and the center of my inside right hand. That has cleared up considerably to where it is no problem. Thank goodness I have not got it anywhere else. I noticed that my knees, which had been painful, stopped hurting entirely after about six months. Before it was quite painful... now I have no pain. I haven't been taking the folic acid like I should.”

Mattcat · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2017

“Second time around with the methotrexate .I use it as a bridge drug until I find one that works. I was on enbrel and humira for past 15 yrs. both worked extremely well but lost potency after about 7 yrs. Now in search of new drug now trying Otezla it's not a biological and has less side effects of all others I have researched. I don't like the methotrexate. Long term because of hair loss and the continued dosing changes. But fortunately now we have many drugs to choose from finding one that works and is safe and effective is the dilemma.”

Autoimmune mom in the desert November 17, 2016

“After becoming sick with this disease doctor initially started me on methotrexate pills and I developed what they call "phantosmia"...I smelled horrible things that weren't there. So we switched to injections and didn't get the smells anymore. Then he started Enbrel as well. I felt good for awhile and decided to stop the methotrexate because it was making me tired and weak. Two years later, I'm back on if because my back and neck were killing me and I'm getting 60-70%r relief after one shot of .8. Pretty happy about that but the trade off of sleeping all day and being weak and nauseated all reminded me of why I stopped too. But it does help so you weigh what's important to you.”

Donna Varady June 7, 2016

“I'm curious can methotrexate cause weight gain I rarely eat anymore except for the three days leading up to my next dose I'm fatigued, headaches, weak food causes acid so I must be very careful that I eat bland foods with little fat and since I've only been on it for 5 weeks I'm in the MORE PAIN part of getting used to the meds part of all of this. But how could I possibly feel like I'm gaining weight when I eat next to nothing 4 out of 7 days and club crackers as my only snack”

ALFIE 1912 March 20, 2017

“Was on 20mg dose and OK for a couple of years but by then I had put on 2 stone in weight then I started getting other side effects I put up with it for another 3 years but I had to come off it as to the problems I was getting eg. not eating properly sleep problems, mouth ulcers etc. I was put on sulphasalozine and lasted for three weeks and that did make me ill,”

BadgerboyToo July 9, 2016

“Never felt so Ill! I take 25mg weekly via injection. Never suffered side effects with other medication. This stuff is a horrible poison. Mouth ulcers,sickness that never goes away. Too many bloodtests to count. Constant fatigue. Dull depressed headache's and joint pain which means other pills,which means other pills to counter-act the side effects of the other lot! Ad-infinitum. Depressing really. On the plus side,(there is one suprisingly),more mobility. I am a resident of the UK so our health care system will be alien to you. We all contribute via an employment tax called NATONAL HEALTH CONTRIBUTION'S. And it i's the envy of the Western world. (when it works)”

Liberty's Noni · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 1, 2016

“Been on mtx for about 18 months. Just went from pills to injections and I'm fairly pleased. The day after doesn't seem as bad. Definitely will never go back to the pills. I get about 75% relief. I'll take that any day!”

Aussie Beau · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2017

“33yo male, 8 years of Psoriatic arthritis with very minimal skin involvement, was prescribed MTX in triple therapy with Sulfasalazine and Hydroxychloroquinine for Psoriatic arthritis. After several months of dose escalation, unfortunately it did not help me at all, no major side effects either but no clinical efficacy.”

Leftie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2021

“Taking 15mg for a month. For me the the benefits didn't out weigh side effects. I would be so tired, didn't have the energy to do household tasks. Also had headaches, depression, felt blah, mouth sores, stomach acid even though taking folic acid too. Both of my hands would break out in itchy blister bumps for a couple of days right after taking dosage. Refuse to take again”

AMH April 15, 2021

“I told myself I would never take methotrexate until it was prescribed. I read all of the user reviews and the doctors promote this as some miraculous drug. I started taking this first dose last Saturday and split the dose the first day by taking half in the morning and the rest at night. A recommendation for helping with nausea. My body has still not recovered. On Sunday I started vomiting at 4:00pm and followed with severe diarrhea. So bad that I could not make it to the bathroom. None of the reviews mentioned vomiting and diarrhea especially nonstop. I ended up going to the ER for so much vomiting and diarrhea so bad that I couldn't keep water down. This drug is awful. It is 4 days later and I have thrown up again last night and I am still having nausea and stomach pain. I have to go to the doctor tomorrow. I wonder how long these effects can last. The ER told me not to take anymore of this drug. My dosage was 15mg once weekly. The doctor prescribed me sulfasalazine as a replacement”

Jenny · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 2, 2021

“On methotrexate for one year. It is a love/loathe kind of relationship with this drug. I am on a two week drug holiday and see I really need something but only having 2-3 days out of the week feeling good is a hard sell. I take 25 mg per week via injection. Have been using zofran for the nausea and vomiting. It works sometimes. I think I am ready to try something else.”

LN · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2018

“I hated this med! The exhaustion I experienced was completely disabling. Being in pain but awake was better than this.”

Learn more about Psoriatic Arthritis