User Reviews for Methotrexate to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

Also known as: Trexall, Rasuvo, RediTrex, Xatmep, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup

Methotrexate Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 306 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Methotrexate

Nana · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2020

“Been on methotrexate for five months now. It still makes me nauseous, and I hate continuing with these injections. I see my doctor in March. If I have to continue with them, I'm going to ask for oral instead. I still have a lot of pain in my hands, hips, back knees. Everywhere. Is this medication helping anybody?”

Loss · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2020

“I was on this medicine. I always google but this one friend insisted that I didn't and just follow doctors order. Worst case scenario I woke up one morning with dizziness and it got severe . I was not light headed or faint just dizziness and not able to function. I was laid up for more than 2 weeks. Due to dizziness . My vital signs were not off, just severe dizziness. This pill has literally caused a life changing experience. I had to close down my registered home day care . I'm not even able to function as I used too. Been off the medication for almost 2 years . but I still get dizziness and double vision , not able to take on any sort of employment because just never know when a flare up will spiked. Yes I already had other health issues. Nerve damage, blood disorders, ringing on both ears. Herniated disc. Doctors should be accountable for prescreening their patients. Si”

JJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 3, 2020

“I was on methotrexate for 5 years, I started with pills then injections as I couldn’t handle the taste and it felt like it poisoned me made my brain feel awful - I couldn’t eat - it was the worse. I had 4 car crashes from poor judgement either on the day or day after using it. I developed a bleeding disorder and explode through my skin they have called it abnormal platelet dysfunction. They don’t know what the cause is but I think it was from methotrexate. I have had heart surgery and diagnosed with angina had a stent. Added to this I have ulcerative colitis. As well as Raynards syndrome and SLE. I don’t work or even look sick but I know one thing methotrexate was a nightmare compared to all heart issues I have had and are having. I’m still looking for a job I’m not disabled but have no energy to even type this ....”

Savannah L · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 22, 2019

“When I was first diagnosed with RA six years ago, this methotrexate was the first medication that I was prescribed. I was just in so much pain at that time and being newly diagnosed, I just wanted to feel like myself again. But ... over the course of the first three months, I gained just under 15 pounds. (And to make it worse I was so bloated, even though I was barely eating). Then ... worse yet, about nine months in to my treatment my long hair began to fall out (not in large clumps), but I started noticing my hair was all over everything. Okay, so now I have joint pain, I cannot fit in to my clothes, and my hair is falling out. I was taking this mediation for 14 months before I was changed, and throughout that time I am unable to say it really did anything to help me - although my doctor said it did stop “the flare up”. Please note: even though I no longer am on this medication, I did not actually notice this helping with my joints and I do still have flare ups occasionally.”

Iris · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2019

“Just yesterday got diagnosed with RA, my number factor being 975. Not sure what number is considered normal. Doctor is starting me on 3 pills of methotrexate at 2.5mg., and folic acid once a day for the rest of the week. Not a fan of taking pills. Really scared after reading some of these reviews, as my pain is not really severe, and no swelling. Apparently I've had this for awhile and never realized it.”

Kimmers October 12, 2019

“So far I have experienced great results. I double up on my folic acid the day-of and after my injection as it helps with being tired. I do experience diarrhea about 24 -48 hours after taking the shot.”

Charis · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 22, 2019

“I took this medication for about 5 yrs. Dr increased the dose to 8 pills a week. While I was on this I experienced bad headaches, I would bruise easily & badly if I bumped myself somewhere. I also developed lactose intolerance. which I was not until I took this. Overall, this medicine was making me worse & in addition to this, Dr. would give me cortisone shots for my joint pain that never went away. Shots were bad too. After 5 yrs, I stopped taking this medication with out the Dr.s knowledge. I am now taking pure supplements and still fighting RA but I am methotrexate free for 6 yrs.”

tigger · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 10, 2019

“methotrexate was totally useless and side effect far outweigh benefits, unable to eat, hair falling out, chronic stomach pains. My RA doctor completely ignores when told the adverse effects and swaps to milder dose injection to no avail. Keep well away for this medication”

killedmymom4-16-19 · Taken for 10 years or more August 11, 2019

“My mom took methotrexate for over 15 years for R.A. She ended up methotrexate induced pulmonary fibrosis. The local hospital was treating her for pneumonia but that was not the case. Mom passed away at one of the nations top 10 hospitals from Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome or Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Death Certificate says she died from ARDS and RA. If you love yourself or your loved ones do not let them take this medication. DANGEROUS. She was 52 years old. I can't believe she gone and its all from a little yellow pill she took once a week. Low dose or not doesn't matter. IT CAN KILL YOU. AVOID. Read manufacturer black box warnings and find alternatives. The medicine didn't help much anyway if any.”

Littlebit · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 19, 2019

“I've been taking methotrexate for a couple of years now. In the past every RA drug seemed to work but immediately affected my liver numbers. This doesn't affect my liver and works like a charm. Only issue I have now is my insurance pharmacy choice changed and the new methotrexate manufacturer and those pills don't work. I've been on for a couple of months and am slowly getting worse. Got new refill from new supplier today and take tomorrow. Well see how they do. I se my RA dr Monday so I can discuss with her.”

LagWag · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2019

“This is a horrible drug. I took it once a week for 5 months, 12.5 mgs of awfulness. My hair started falling out in clumps, even with taking folic acid, the headaches and nausea are debilitating, along with the fatigue and general malaise that I experienced for 2-3 days after taking it. And it did not touch the flare ups or the pain I experienced from the RA. I have now completely changed my diet and my way of thinking to combat this disease. No gluten, no dairy, stress free as much as possible, and supplements like Nordic Fish Oils, Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfates and Turmeric help better than the Methotrexate did any day. I called this drug "Poison" the whole time I was taking it. Now I feel way better not taking and I know why, because it is a POISON. Stay far away from this drug and try life style changes before even considering this harmful drug.”

Patira · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2019

“I have Possibly reactive arthritis but doctor is not sure. I have been on methotrexate for more than a month at a dose of little 15 mg a week and folic acid. No side effects at all so far but no help either. No improvements.”

Bexsy · Taken for 10 years or more April 23, 2019

“My mum has DIED, she had RA in hands & knees. She was given THIS DRUG 13yrs ago. NO 1 told her/us its ALSO ANTI-CANCER drug, it destroys immune system, blood cells etc. YES, it relieves RA, but in 6 months mum went from 6ft tall 10 stone lady to a wheezing, weak, 6 stone shadow of her former self, mum died April 7 2019, she was home & arrested. At hospital 10pm, 1am they said she wouldn't survive? They did EVERY test, bloods/fluids/scans, NOTHING showed. She had lines in neck, drips everywhere, they treated for lots & hoped it worked. But at 5am advised us TURN OFF her life support. Drs were baffled. When they got GP info, & we mentioned methotraxate their faces dropped, they didn't blame meds solely, but they DID explain meds have knock on effect, & with prolonged use they can cause break downs in parts of body. More info should be available, to look out for signs & symptoms about this drug. Please keep getting checked out. Mum had blood tests monthly & nothing showed, she NEVER missed appointment. I'd stay clear of these meds”

mamabear · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2019

“I was on 12.5 mg of methotrexate/week for 6 weeks. Gradually got more tired and more brain fog as each week went by. My hair was falling out at an alarming rate. By week 6 I was having heart palpitations. Joints felt good but everything else not so much. I stopped using and after 3 days felt much better.”

BooBoo's Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2019

“I started a low dose of Methotrexate in October and had no changes. In December my Rheum increased my dose and it was like a switch was turned on. Within a week, I felt better than I have in years. I did have a case of "thrush" not long after it was increased and a vaginal yeast infection. I have developed fissures on my tongue but I'm over that - treated - and feeling great. I do get fatigued the day after I take my dose (I take it twice a week) - but that passes quickly. I've also noticed when my doc gives me a shot, it is not as taxing as taking the pills. Lucky for me he says I can just get the shot instead if you want! Having vitamin B12 shots is also the key - I'm doing shots at home - 1/2 dose every two weeks instead of every 4. Life is good.”

Yay December 28, 2018

“I am 32 year old and a mother of two boys working full-time. I was on methotrexate for 2.5 years (10 mg per week oral). It did work and I had little side effects in the beginning. However, about 1-1.5 years in I became extremely fatigued and even depressed. I did not feel like myself. I read in other blogs that people had the same feelings as I did so I was glad I wasn’t alone. I was at a point in my journey where I could try and get off the medication . After only two weeks off the medication I felt amazing! Back to my old self! Both my husband and I were amazed. Fatigue gone. No longer going to bed at 7:30 pm. No more depression feelings. And thank goodness my RA symptoms have not reappeared. I do follow a strict dairy free, gluten free, almost pescatarian diet that I believe has a huge impact on RA. So if anyone is feeling this way please talk to your doctor and try a different approach to tackling your RA if you cannot live with the frustration of the fatigue and depression.”

rhirhi · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2018

“I have been on methotrexate for a couple of months now, I’m not certain whether we just caught my disease at a good time but this medication has been 110% effective for me. I have had no symptoms since it kicked in (took a while), the most that will happen because of the medication is the day after I take it I will feel a little tired (was worse in the beginning), anyways please make sure you don’t read reviews and judge the medication from that. I nearly scared myself silly doing that, trust in your rheumatologist and follow the process. The medicine reacts with different people in different ways, I am definitely one of the lucky ones. I am 25 and methotrexate has given me back the lifestyle of a 25 year old!”

Gooddogs2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2018

“I have been on methotrexate for 6 weeks and have had no side effects. Has greatly reduced my RA symptoms along with 5mg daily dose of prednisone. I can walk again and no pain in hands. It’s worked well for me.”

Maisie · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 12, 2018

“I have been on 15mg then 20mg for two years. Then developed constant explosive diarrhea, dizziness, and confusion. Judged to be allergic, and told to stop the medication immediately. The symptoms continue...how long before it gets better? I am not taking anything for RA right now after a week off methotrexate.”

Ky girl · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 11, 2018

“This medicine is the worst. Do not take. My mom died of liver cancer because of this drug.”

Katy September 17, 2018

“I was put on Methotrexate over 3 years ago. The third week of injection I crashed. Confusion overall sick feeling had to take an antidote. This medication caused irritable bowel syndrome itching hives and just made me sicker. I would not recommend this medication.”

Ccd August 29, 2018

“Please don't take this medicine. My mother had taken this once a week for 12years, it did help her RA but not greatly, then she died suddenly. An autopsy confirmed this medicine destroyed all her blood cells.”

momsrh · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2018

“My family doctor and Rheumatoid specialists both suggested Methotrexate for my R.A. I read several sites and decided I would find my own way without this terrible drug. I went to India for Ayurvedic treatment, and as of today, not quite 2 years later, I have no pain, I have not suffered any side effects from this drug, and I can function normally. It pains me to see the accounts of people whose lives have been ruined by Methotrexate. There is a safer easier (and less expensive in the long run) to handle arthritis. Medical doctors will cringe to read this, but I'm living proof!!”

Momzie · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2018

Otrexup (methotrexate): “I've been using Otrexup for several months now, increasing from a 10mg injection to a 20mg. I have had severe leg cramps in my thigh muscles since beginning this drug. However, I was injecting into the same leg and then leg(s) so maybe I will try the stomach. I am also on Rituxin infusions. These drugs have turned my health around; my RA is now manageable.”

Anonymous115 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2018

“Methotrexate can ruin your lungs very quickly. I now have pulmonary fibrosis because two doctors insisted that it would be fine. They lie and tell you oh you just have interstitial lung disease but it usually stops..Do Not believe them! Take something else!”

Learn more about Rheumatoid Arthritis

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)