User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall, Xatmep

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Methotrexate Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 372 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Methotrexate to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"MTX stopped my periods although hormonal test shows no onset of menopause (age 53). Blurry vision (garlands) for 30' after intake (6 tablets). Sickness sometimes for up to 24 hours. Joint pain is increased for two to three days. Effect is moderate, must add Actemra. TNF inhibitors largely without effect."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 49 yrs old and was diagnosed RA last Sept after a spring/summer of hell. Pain started in knees, then hands, wrists , elbows, feet and worst of all one shoulder. I was crawling before started on a 12.5 mg of Methotrexate, folic acid, steroids, etoricoxib & amitriptyline at night. November -no change, apart from terrible fatigue. My dose was increased to 20mg per week with more folic acid and a general steroid injection. I felt improvement at the end of Jan17- with pain still in my hands and feet. I went back to work for a few hours a week...big mistake. The fatigue has been tough and I have a lot of muscle wastage and my hands and feet hurt a lot. I will be seeing the consultant tomorrow, fingers crossed - although that hurts!"

Marinehippo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking methotrexate 20mg PO for over a year and switched to injectable, which lasted maybe 6 months. I finally just got taken off the methotrexate after seeing my Rheumatologist last week. She immediately insisted we get me off of it after I told her my symptoms: weight loss from ~105lbs-92lbs (I'm 5ft), constant nausea, asthmatic symptoms (inhalers didn't help), consistent mouth ulcers, crippling fatigue and general feeling of unwellness. After a large work-up with my GP as she was super concerned something else was going on, I now look back and am surprised I stayed on the methotrexate that long. Ultimately, the drug did an okay job and suppressing flare ups, but I've whittled down to nothing. Starting sulfasalazine soon..."

Kvbraz April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at the age 29, not knowing out the blue I started having severe shoulder pain. Paying it no mind and hoping it go away, than it started in my right hand. My primary ran some blood work, and prescribe me Maloxican and tramodal. The pain, swelling and stiffness became aggressive and move to my other shoulder, hips, both hand's and wrist within 2 year's on Maloxican. I was referred to a RA specialist and was placed on Celebrex.The pain was unbearable that it had me in tears unable to walk, get dress, brush my teeth, do daily task.Now these past 2 weeks MTX has been a blessing! It's awesome other than the weight gain."

Ronella Brown March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this medicine for about 4 years. I tried the pill form which caused severe vomiting. After 2 doses it was intolerable and I was switched to injectable. I felt exhausted and had nausea and diarrhea for 3-4 days but I was able to get out of bed for the other days so this was a plus. Unfortunately, I picked up a nasty case of pneumonia even after getting the vaccine. Either I had exposure or it was caused by the methotrexate. I had to stop methotrexate. It took at least 2 month to recover and I'm still having asthmatic reaction. My doctor says I should continue to stay off it for now. He wants me to restart if RA symptoms return (which they are). I'm terrified to restart. He wants to switch to Simponi but I'm afraid of that too."

RZC (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Methotrexate was effective in the beginning for me. After three years of taking 6 pills weekly I contracted Lemierre's Sydrome Disease and Necrotizing Fasciatis (two fatal) diseases. I survived and do not take any RA medication. I live a healthy meat free and low omega 6 and 9 diet. Also used several supplements to keep immune system healthy but nothing worked. "

DNiece1957 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"methotrexate made me sick for days after taking it. I was on it off and on for 7 years and in different ways and all made me sick. If ur not in school or have kids ya its cool it kinda works if u don't have ra bad but if in school or have kids DONT TAKE....."

heavenM. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with RA just under a year ago. I started with 10mg tablets with Folic Acid. Initially I suffered from a lot of nausea and bad sleep etc. I must confess though after the first diagnosis every twitch or cough made me think the worst. My Dr. upped my dosage to 12.5mg and changed me to the injection which she said should take away the nausea which worked but the pains remained. She also put me on anti inflamatory pills. Shortly after my last check-up in July, my pains have nearly completely subsided so I didn"

Laguiri October 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Methotrexate helps immensely with my rheumatoid arthritis pain. I know this because I became ill and couldn't get to the doctor for my blood tests so I ran out of my methotrexate and my pain increased dramatically."

rohise (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was started on Plaquenil when diagnosed with RA about two years ago at the end of summer. I told the doctor there was no way I would take MTX. By the following late spring I had what it took me a while to realize was a major flare-up. I already had one pointer finger that couldn't bend, and now the other one was stuck in the out position. I couldn't make fists. So I started on MTX once a week, along with 1 mg of folic acid/day. After about two months I began to see improvements. After a longer time my doctor said I was in remission. I take both Plaquenil and MTX, with few side effects. On my MTX day, and the day after, I'm sometimes low energy, and often slightly queasy. Not enough to keep me from eating entirely."

PearlRiver October 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on Methotrexate by my specialist. I was on it for 3 months and had many side effects. I informed my Specialist who said it will pass and doubled my dose. I had 14 side effects and constantly had an upset stomach. I'm 28 so the whole not being able to get pregnant whilst on the drug is a bit of an issue. I am now on a new medication."

Katie-J October 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Otrexup (methotrexate): "I was in remission with Arava and oral methotrexate for 7 years, but stopped taking methotrexate because I didn't think I needed it anymore and I was slightly nauseated every time I took it. It was a big mistake because my feet are a hot mess. I became totally out of remission with major shoulder/neck pain and fatigue. I recently added Otrexup, in additional taking Arava. After 2 weeks I was pain free and my energy level has returned. I am paying $179 per month for Otrexup and it's a hardship. I am planning to discuss with my doctor going back on oral methotrexate which is only $10 per month."

karkeeki October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have spondalopathy and My Enbrel was not as effective anymore and not long after taking my first dose of methotrexate in conjunction with the Enbrel the pain in my lower back was gone."

Historylover33 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with JRA at 20, although I've had it since I was a very young age. I'm 44 now and I'm just beginning to take drugs for the disease, as my Drs only prescribed pain relievers. I've been on Methotrexate just short of a month. I'm very ill after I take it, and I have chest pain. Hopefully my body will get used to it and I'll be better. It's scary for me, and I keep checking the side effects."

AngB44 September 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was very ill on methotrexate for 10 weeks, nauseous,weak,pain in my chest. I was told I would get used to the side effects. After 10 weeks in ended up in ER vommiting blood requiring blood transfusions. Methotrexate was very dangerous for me and has destroyed my stomach. I found minocin very helpful until I pulled out infected root canal.... Instant relief. No pains now."

einyhealth (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken methotrexate for 4 years now and only when I was put on Humeria did I get any relief . the side effect I have had are depression and sweating but not hardly any stiffness and not much discomfort so for me the combination works for me ."

Keston (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had taken MTX in past but it did not work out for me due to rash proplem caused by MTX so Doctor recommended Sulfasalazine and it worked out very good for about 4 years but the end of friendship came to us...Sulfasalazine was not effective anymore. I met a Doctor who practice natrual madicine also ER Dortor at the local hospital....He recommended 3 natrual Supplements for RA and pain( Turmeric, Wobenzym N, White Willow) and they are very effective (on me) and it is better than Chemical based medications. I have been off from those deadly medications for 5 months now."

Turmeric September 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on methotrexate for 4 months now. The Rheumatoid arthritis came out of no where. I went to my primary care physician with me feet and my thumbs he basically said I was getting older to take aleve and get comfortable shoes. Well I month later I could barely walk so primary care physician did blood work. My RA factor was 1382. It took me another month to get an appointment with a rheumatologist. The rheumatologist is going to fail me on methotrexate on the 28 if this month because my levels are not coming down as expected. I am currently on 17.5mg of methotrexate. I take them on Friday night and Saturdays I am exhausted. I constantly have pain in my hands,wrists,ankles,knees and feet. I am just afraid the next med won't work either"

went September 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been using Methotrexate for about a year. Haven't had any bad side effects. But when I started using the Plaquenil (generic form), the side effects where awful. My hands became red and very dry, cracking to the point of bleeding. I could not stop from scratching. I had dry, almost psoriasis' like patches on my wrist and arms. Had to stop taking it. All that went away. I'm still taking the methotrexate without any issues. Just have to keep up with the blood work. Now however, the dr. wants me to start on Humira, and I'm worried about the side effects that might cause. So, please, I need some feedback on Humira. What type of issues have any of you who take it, have had? Thanks!"

GW70 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with RA 2 years ago and am grateful that Methotrexate allows me to live a normal life, 20mg once a week, I have a flare every now and then which is managed by a steroid injection. i take 5mg Folic acid everyday to counteract side effects. I am tired on MTX day but generally have not experienced anything negative with the drug. However I take it last thing at night on the day I have to take it, and take it with Milk, I figure if there are any effects I would rather sleep through them, also I don't want to start taking a stomach acid medication so I tried it with milk and it was fine. It's worked for me."

Puz August 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Roughly one year now and methotrexate has been working miracles. I started at 10 mg/week and eventually moved up to 12.5 mg/week. From the outset I was tapering off of 10 mg/day of prednisone but could not completely eliminate it until I moved the methotrexate up to 12.5 mg/week. Per doctors recommendation I'm also taking 5,000 mg of vitamin D daily and 1,000 mg of calcium daily (I don't eat much dairy). Side effects: None, except that I sometimes take a short nap after dinner on "methotrexate day" (I take it after lunch so as not to interfere with my pre-dinner martini(s)). Without methotrexate I could barely walk!"

WalkingAgain August 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I went to see my doctor, I couldn't even write my name. My hand hurt so badly I couldn't even hold a pen. She examined me, took blood work and gave me a steroid shot. A week later I returned and we discussed my options, and she recommended methotrexate. She went over the side effects ect, I'm into my second week, and I'm happy to say no side effects. 1 injection .06 once a week, folic acid daily. I'm at 80% better, and looking forward to 99%."

Jodiem54 August 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Mtx for almost 2 yrs. I was diagnosed with JRA when I was 2 yo. I tried Plaquenil when I was about 19 and had an allergic reaction. I had a flare every 5 years or so in my adulthood and took an antibiotic that is prescribed as an off-label treatment for RA until my last flare 2 years ago when I finally gave in and decided to try the Mtx which I fought for years (I am 44). I take 17.5 mg once a week and 1 mg folic acid daily and have no side effects. It works well, but not perfectly and I do still have some pain. Right now I seem to be flaring and may have to try something more. I did try to lower my dose about 4 months ago but that was a disaster. I am glad I tried it and that it works for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had a terrible experience with this drug. I would never take it again. This drug made me severely depressed to the point of suicidal thoughts. It also gave me a tight feeling in my throat. I Also learned that it could potentially create birth defects if your were to reproduce while on drug. I would recommend using a different option."

RA is not fun (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had taken methotrexate 21 years by the VA . plus Enbrel,Humira, folic acid and more ..well this is a warning ..I now have NASH it's a disease from the meds .cirrossis of the liver. Uncureable! Just change foods . Pray it doesn't get worse. WARNING. WARNING WARNING ,!"

Larrylorenzo May 14, 2016