User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Methotrexate Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 364 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Methotrexate to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"Roughly one year now and methotrexate has been working miracles. I started at 10 mg/week and eventually moved up to 12.5 mg/week. From the outset I was tapering off of 10 mg/day of prednisone but could not completely eliminate it until I moved the methotrexate up to 12.5 mg/week. Per doctors recommendation I'm also taking 5,000 mg of vitamin D daily and 1,000 mg of calcium daily (I don't eat much dairy). Side effects: None, except that I sometimes take a short nap after dinner on "methotrexate day" (I take it after lunch so as not to interfere with my pre-dinner martini(s)). Without methotrexate I could barely walk!"

WalkingAgain August 11, 2016

"When I went to see my doctor, I couldn't even write my name. My hand hurt so badly I couldn't even hold a pen. She examined me, took blood work and gave me a steroid shot. A week later I returned and we discussed my options, and she recommended methotrexate. She went over the side effects ect, I'm into my second week, and I'm happy to say no side effects. 1 injection .06 once a week, folic acid daily. I'm at 80% better, and looking forward to 99%."

Jodiem54 August 6, 2016

"I have been on Mtx for almost 2 yrs. I was diagnosed with JRA when I was 2 yo. I tried Plaquenil when I was about 19 and had an allergic reaction. I had a flare every 5 years or so in my adulthood and took an antibiotic that is prescribed as an off-label treatment for RA until my last flare 2 years ago when I finally gave in and decided to try the Mtx which I fought for years (I am 44). I take 17.5 mg once a week and 1 mg folic acid daily and have no side effects. It works well, but not perfectly and I do still have some pain. Right now I seem to be flaring and may have to try something more. I did try to lower my dose about 4 months ago but that was a disaster. I am glad I tried it and that it works for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2016

"Had a terrible experience with this drug. I would never take it again. This drug made me severely depressed to the point of suicidal thoughts. It also gave me a tight feeling in my throat. I Also learned that it could potentially create birth defects if your were to reproduce while on drug. I would recommend using a different option."

RA is not fun (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

"I had taken methotrexate 21 years by the VA . plus Enbrel,Humira, folic acid and more ..well this is a warning ..I now have NASH it's a disease from the meds .cirrossis of the liver. Uncureable! Just change foods . Pray it doesn't get worse. WARNING. WARNING WARNING ,!"

Larrylorenzo May 14, 2016

"After a severe case of Ross River Fever for which i was taking 50 mg Prednisone daily I developed chronic degenerative Polymyalgia Rheumatica, the pain in my arms, neck, hips, knees, hands and ankles was intense and never ending, i tried all the usual pain killers including Oxycontin and Methadone with varying short term success but the mind numbing daily struggle associated with taking Opiates was taking a toll on my life, my Rheum trialed me on 15 mg mtx weekly for 2 months and the result was incredible, the pain in neck and knees almost disappeared after the first week so the Rheum increased dose to 15 mg morning and night once a week, wow what a difference! few side effects and almost pain free, thank you MTX"

Ronnsy (taken for 10 years or more) May 12, 2016

"I've been on Methotrexate for 9 months now 20mg once a week with 2 folic acids 2 days later my problem is that whilst the med is working its playing havoc on my liver I've had to come off it as my LFT results were constantly increasing then suddenly doubled. She asked me to have a Biopsy of my liver to work out if it is defiantly the Methotrexate or something else I guess this is what I need to do now. I've finally got myself down to 5mg Prednisone and now the Rheumo has said stop Mtx and see how you go if we need to we can up the Pred I don't want to up the Pred I eat like a horse and put so much weight on I'm hoping theres something else out there that will help me. Already tried Sulfazasaline and got a rash and other side effects."

Teish (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2016

"Been taking Methotrexate for almost 3 years now. Last fall, I felt good enough that I went off it without my Drs knowledge, because it made me feel pretty ill for a day or so after. What a mistake! I started taking it again about 2 months ago, and although it still makes me sick, it sure beats the pain I`m in without it. (on 25 mg a week, along with Hydroxychloroquin and folic acid)"

Macaroon5 March 6, 2016

"I am 62, and was diagnosed with RA about 10 years ago, I have been through a battery of drugs to suppress my immune system, ending up on subcutaneous methrotrexate 10mg, I originally had a 'bad day' the day after my injections, however it seems to be getting to be a bad couple of days lately. Intense pressure head ache (I'm also a migraine sufferer), nausea, confusion, tiredness and now really troubled sleep, nightmares, and some visual disruption/ (almost hallucinations), feelings of panic, unease and claustrophobic. I know the alternatives, stop and face RA full on, but I would rather get 3/4 good days than be on the road to being completely disabled."

Nigel G (taken for 10 years or more) February 8, 2016

"Been taking mtx, folic and Plaquinel for 1.5 yrs. My biggest side effect is lack of appetite. Not sure if it is the MTX or plaquinel causing this but as a result I feel I have no energy or muscle mass left. I wonder whether it is better to take the drugs or let the RA runs it's course. History of cancer in the family but not seeing any reference to that side effect here"

Jonseycanada February 3, 2016

"Following treatment for acute auto-immune disease of the brain I suddenly developed RA symptoms in my hands and feet - dropping things all day, severe overnight swelling and pain. Two previous medications prescribed by my rheumatologist were ineffective. Tried Methotrexate (8 x 2.5mg once/week folic acid) two days ago and 50% of swelling and 90% of the pain are gone; can make a more-or-less painless fist with both hands, easy to type first thing in the morning (woo hoo) and happy to be alive."

Mister Moo (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

"I have had rheumatoid arthritis 15 years severe & aggressive. Finding a good rheumatologist has been impossible. I take Humira, methotrexate, folic acid. Taking the prescribed dose of methotrexate10 mg once a week. I am so lethargic, still stiff hands, feet joints as well as pain. It is better than no medication because that pain is fire, this has dulled the fire. Had one surgery shoulder.. My hair has been rapidly falling out again, I can't eat normally. After reading this blog I realize I may do better with either injections or stopping completely. Planquenil, sulfa-salazine were of no benefit. Allergci to biologics. Had to find one that has been a game changer."

Sparks203 January 23, 2016

"I was put on methotrexate about 5 months ago after a nasty flare up back in the spring. I have had arthritis in my left knee since the age of 2 but found the arthritis went into remission all through my teens and has kind of been in and out of remission throughout my 20's. Steroid injections always worked well but this time around, it did nothing. The R/A has now spread to shoulders and wrists as well so I was put on methatrexate 20mg once a week along with hydroxychloriquine. I have found that it has only been the last couple of weeks that I am starting to feel some benefit from the meds, the knee pain is much better although my wrists are still very painful especially at night! My consultant assures me the meds will work. Fingers crossed"

Emma jd January 18, 2016

"Methotrexate has been a miracle for me. For the past 3 years experiencing extreme tiredness, no energy to do anything, thankful to get through a day's work. Tried every combination of vitamins the world has ever made without any results. Then over last one year severe inflammation of hands, could barely make a fist, difficulty using hands. Under rheumatologist advice used 2 other medications till placed on methotrexate with a dose of 5 pills per week. Have been on this dose past 8 months with great results. Have been walking, biking around from 2 to 4 miles frequently, mowing grass, doing property maintenance 6 to 8 hrs per day and still having energy to continue working on other things! Crossing fingers, THANKS METHOTREXATE!"

jFr123 December 22, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 23 years old, I was diagnosed with RA at age 21. My pain, swelling & fatigue was so severe, I could barely walk and had to be in a wheelchair during my hospital stay. My Rheum. started me on MTX immediately along with prednisone. At one point I was also taking Enbrel (biologic), but the auto injections were so painful, it outweighed the benefit of the drug and I stopped taking it. I am now only taking prednisone during flare ups and take 25 mgs of MTX every week. The RA already makes me so tired, the added side effects of MTX are next to unbearable. The day after I take the drug, I am so fatigued, I can barely pick my head up. The nausea and vomitting is awful. It is: Would you rather not be able to walk? Or walk and be sick?"

Kari Zari (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2015

"When I was first diagnosed my hands hurt so badly I wondered how I could convince my doctor to amputate them and give me prosthetics. Methotrexate was among the first things tried to get my RA under control. After steroids, a variety of IV therapies, and anti-inflammatories Methotrexate has been my mainstay and keeps my RA under control as well as the biologics. I take it orally with no side effects. Yeah for Methotrexate in my life."

211106 September 17, 2015

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Methotrexate has helped with the pain, but no one told me that it could affect my blood glucose and pressure. I worked for 3 years to control my diabetes with diet and had just completely normalized my glucose levels. Methotrexate ruined that with the first dose. So should a person take it and add additional BP meds and have to go on diabetes meds?"

Devora2 September 16, 2015

"I took Methotrexate for 17 years. Started with tablets but progressed to injections for less chance of side effects (and cheaper!). Always felt tired and nauseous for a day after, which got worse and lasted longer over the years, so that instead of just folic acid, my rheum had me take leucovorin the day after (a stronger folic acid). But 6 months ago I developed fatigue, malaise and chronic low grade fever despite normal blood tests; my rheum said he had seen that before in other patients taking Methotrexate and considered it a toxic reaction! There is no literature on this reaction, but I got better once I stopped, so just be aware."

CCEA August 13, 2015

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"When all other meds/combo of meds failed my rheumy put me on mtx (8 tabs@ 2.5 mg. once a week). I still take 4 mg prednisone twice a day, 400 mg of plaquenil at night, and folic acid every morning. It's been a long road and a lot of ups and downs but I have seen the most progress since mtx was added to my combo of meds. I still have some pain but the stiffness (which used to last most of the day) and the swelling has improved. I am always nauseous and feel lethargic the first 24 - 48 hours after the mtx dose but 1-2 days of that is better than the alternative. I've always been extremely active so it has been rough struggling to do simple things."

Annie M (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2015

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I got my RA seven years ago and have eaten Mtx since then. For me it has worked great. I had no weird side effects either. I ate 8 tablets a week for seven years, but now I'm down to 6 tablets .... it works great too. I am Swedish, and our Mtx looks a bit different."

MisoPretty July 19, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was diagnosed at 10mths old after a knee biopsy. I have been taking methotrexate on & off since I was 16 years old & I am now 41 years old. This medication has greatly reduce the activity of the disease & has increased the quality of my life greatly. I have just changed from methotrexate oral tablets to methotrexate injections. The tablets were making me feel nauseous so my specialist decided to put me on injections to bypass my stomach. The injections are easy to administer & relatively pain free. I am presently just trying to find the right dose for me due to suffering side effects. 15mg has caused me a severely sore lips & mouth, nausea, dizziness, lethargy & abdominal cramps. 12.5mg is the correct dose for me."

Sharrona July 19, 2015

"Started mtx in early 2010, I was on it the better part of the last 5 years. I'm also on my fourth biologic. I take 2mg of folic acid daily. Last May I did a four day stretch in hospital because of bone marrow suppression. RBC, WBC, ANC, platelets and hemoglobin were very low. (ANC under 200). I was given leucorvorin rescue. This is a very rare side effect for low dose mtx. Although the drug only gave me a 10 to 20% improvement, the biologic gives me 60 to 90%. Now I'm about to start Arava, I wish I could retry the mtx at half dose as it doesn't cause much in the way of minor side effects. I often think of Huey Lewis and his song "I want a new drug"."

RheumTrucker (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 2, 2015

"I have been on this medication for about 2 months now. I was taking prednisone before but that wouldn't help much. After the second week of taking methotrexate I can honestly say I am pain free. I can actually enjoy doing all the stuff I used to do before being diagnosed with RA. Before starting this medication I would experience horrible pain in my shoulders, hands, fingers, hips and ankles. I would have a rough time getting through the day. This medication works wonderfully."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Methotrexate 25mg for 6 weeks now, but 6 month for 20 mg and I have seen much improvement with my back pain. I do have severe rib and chest pain still, but the back pain is much better. I feel like a zombie though every day I can barely make it through the day. I am so upset about my hair. I have cut almost 6 inches off and still have dry damaged hair from the medicine. I loose handfuls of hair daily and the gi problems sometimes are pretty bad. So I don't know if the side effects out way the benefits. I wish I could have someone help Me fix these side effects and I would be ok. I think the fatigued is one of the worse though. :( ...."

Jenn Jenn June 2, 2015

"I'm on my 3rd month and I do believe it's helping but the pain is still there. I have noticed as the dosage has increased it takes longer to bounce back and I'm unable to cut hair as that was my profession before diagnosis. I hope in time I will be able to get back to work but I am suffering several side effects. (hair falling out, unusually dry hair, quick to have to rest unlike before and several others) I was completely bed ridden before starting the medication so needless to say I don't want to try anything else because I am scared to take the chance that it won't work at all. I know I'm just beginning and hope in time the side effects will fade."

Jenni bug April 2, 2015