User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall, Xatmep

Methotrexate Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 248 medications used in the treatment of Psoriasis.

Reviews for Methotrexate to treat Psoriasis

"I am a 40 year old male, and I have been battling psoriasis for about 5 year. It started at the top of my scalp, moved behind my ears and patches around scalp and hairline. It then move down to my waist line, my penis and to my butt crack . For years now, I have had numerous different diagnosis, and a multitude of medications and theories. I finally met one doctor and he said simply… “You have inverse psoriasis, we will put you on methotrexate, no more guesswork“ This is literally the third day I have been on methotrexate and all remnants below the belt are almost 100% gone… Behind my ear is going away and my scalp plaques are literally disappearing already. I am so excited."

Brad - Texas (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

"I watched a good friend (with psoriasis) deteriorate on this vile drug, taken in rotation, 3 months on, 1 month off for over 3 years. 1 month off? Yes, to give the liver a 'chance to recover'. Really?! His liver suffered so badly, he died within 3 years - from liver and pancreatic cancer. From the beginning of being on this drug my friend's digestion suffered increasingly, as did his immune function. He was always in denial about the role methotrexate played in his poor health - because it did cure his hated psoriasis."

danske May 7, 2018

"Have done 3 'rounds' of this, 4 weeks each and have never been so exhausted, sick to my stomach and out of it. It helped clear up the Guttate psoriasis and inverse psoriasis but didn't do much for the psoriatic arthritis."

Redfear (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2017

"Sooo I'm 26 been suffering 5 years. It started in my scalp and then spread to my ears eye lids elbows knees and little patches on my torso. Last year to my horror it decided to make an appearance on my penis and stayed and got worse for the whole year. At this point I was as low as a man could be. Constantly on my mind constantly severely depressed with it and was annoyed with things that don't work. I was in lots of pain and self confidence non existent just wishing for a life with nice skin. Three weeks ago I was put on methotrexate. One week later my penis was totally and i mean totally clear and has stayed clear "

Snapchat- tommy199003 November 21, 2017

"I have been with psoriasis for the past ten years. I went to 3 different doctors, specialist. I treated for an anti fungus condition, and I was also treated for ringworms too. I have tried everything apparently available on the shelves, and it cost me so much money too. Went online and found a clinic. With only positive reviews. give it a go, and I was prescribed Methotrexate- for only five days. I swear my skin has cleared 85 percent. No itchy, tiny patches. All my friends haven't stop complimenting me. Now I must say that I have been using only paraben free kinds of stuff for hairs and body and kept moisturizing with Aveeno. (no peanuts at all)it's a super trigger for psoriasis- my laundry is also washed with only baby products."

evlinaa (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2017

"I've had psoriasis since I was 7 years old, I am now 17 and was put on methotrexate in January. My psoriasis was completely covering my back and torso to the point where I couldn't bend over as it would cause the skin to crack, leaving me often times covered in blood and under severe pain. Now 6 months on my psoriasis is 99% gone, with a stubborn few plaques remaining on my legs stomach and back, but extremely small (size of a pea!). However the areas where the psoriasis once was is left with a darker pigment to the rest of my skin, I am hoping with continued use it shall fade over time. I've experienced no side effects of this medicine (my dermatologist said I was a good candidate as I'm younger and have a stronger immune system."

dylanw2u (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2017

"I've suffered with scalp psoriasis from being 8 years old but always managed with coal tar shampoos. When I was 29 I noticed plaque psoriasis forming on the trunk of my body, arms and legs, chest and face! They grew larger, became intolerable and so itchy. After many visits to the GP I was eventually referred to a dermatologist. By this point I was off work severely ill, my skin was so bad I couldn't walk, I would lie in the bath to help shed the layers of skin. Upon my visit to dermatologist he took one look and said I was critical. I was 99% covered and had erythrodermic psoriasis! I spent 11 days in hospital bandaged in ointments. I've been on MTX for 4 years now and can say they have helped me a lot (99%). Blood monitors done 3 monthly. "

Josie83 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 30, 2017

"I'm 18 and have had psoriasis now for almost 2 years. I started taking this for my psoriasis about a month ago and have already seen substantial differences! No itchiness, limited redness and extreme scaling. Although the medication does take a bit longer to start working I'm absolutely sure that it will continue to help relieve the psoriasis on my legs, arms and stomach!!"

Courtney17 May 27, 2017

"I have been extremely tired, nausea's, a general feeling of lack of interest in things I enjoy, moody and overall not feeling good. The psoriasis has become less thick, but after six weeks its still there. I have an appointment Thursday and going to discuss alternatives."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

"Hello, I am 27 and started having psoriasis when I was 20. I am covered 80%. My rheumothogist has started me on methotrexate shot once a week as well as folic acid everyday but the day of the shot. I am currently on day 5, my skin has stopped forming layers about 90% but still red and small patches here and there. From the time I got the shot, I have only felt low energy and low appetite. No serious side effects. I must add before going on methotrexate, you should start eating healthier and detox the body the best you can for a month prior to going on methotrexate. If you don't you are doing more harm than good because your immune system is going to sleep mode and if you got a load of junk and bad bacteria left they will just take over."

Johnny from Canada (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

"-I vomiting after alcoholic drinks. -Overall fatigue. -My joints are more sensitive"

Alper constantino (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2017

"I have had psoriasis for 12 years. It affected my daily life. I have tried so many creams, ointments. Nothing worked. So last November, doctor prescribed me Otezla, it hurt my back badly. I have to stop this. So methotrexate was given to me 5x2.5mg per week in January, 1mg folic acid per day except the day taking methotrexate. Once a month blood work was giving. I was on 7x2.5 mg last month, Now I am on 9x2.5mg, I can feel it is almost clear, and I do feel joint pain and weak immune system. I have such bad flu right now and could go to office Tomorrow."

Sebastianshen March 30, 2017

"I am 25 years and I have psoriasis from the age of 20. The treatment helped to completely leave the psoroasis was methotrexate and solarium. Now I have no psoriasis and as a treatment( to not appear again) is to do solarium for 5 months of the year"

nick-123 March 14, 2017

"I was diagnosed with psoriasis about 1.5 years ago at the age of 24. It was severe in my scalp, ears, elbows, hands, knees, legs and feet. I've tried every single remedy out there. Every cream and ointment the derm prescribed. Finally; I stood my ground and needed a change; it was affecting my everyday life terribly. I've been on the methotrexate 15mg and folic acid 1mg for about two months now and my elbows, hands, feet are clear, my elbows and scalp have decreased dramatically! I have absolutely no side effects which was my biggest fear! Life is good! It's amazing!"

abushy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

"I have had Psoriasis for some number of years, since my 50s started and prior to that nothing more than a dry elbow. I tried all the usual stuff and I mean all of the junk I could waste money on.I broke down an went to derm doc and went with steriod cream and blulight with very little change. So I quit derm doc for a few years and then become desperate as my Psoriasis went totally off the charts, and I started the methotrexate med or as i call it chemo pills. So far the itching seems to have let up a fair amount an I'm only on week one , The side effects are not at all like I had feared .I'm terrified of new medicines as so many meds seem to be on the lawsuit. I have noticed a loss of energy but nothing drastic,and aside from that no problems."

Flaky (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

"I had a good experiance with Methotrexate. I've been fighting with psorises for last 8 years. I'm 35. I tried so many things. One of my doctor gave me methotrexate just to try on me 4 years back. 2 tables a week. For 3 weeks For example ( if I took one table in morning and one in evening in monday. Then the same dose on next Monday. And the last one next Monday.) So after this dose my psorises disappears for 6 to 7 months. I repeat this dose onces a year. But the best effected treatment for me was herbal treatment from China. I stayed there for 3 weeks . They gave me herbals to boil and drink the water with proper diet. I did this for 4 months and my psorises was gone for 12 months. I was not able to continue that diet n treatment."

Razwan (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

"At age 66, after a very stressful phase of work over 7 months, I developed psoriasis very suddenly. With no previous skin problems & no family history of psoriasis either, I conclude that the stress was the trigger. I had the psoriasis all over but the worst was on my scalp - it felt like an iron band pressing in around my head. The dermatologist prescribed a whole range of creams and ointments over a year. Nothing worked. Finally in Nov. 2015 I was proscribed methotrexate + 1 folic acid tablet weekly. I was told it would take up to 3 months to kick in & it did, but in Aug.'16 I am virtually clear with no side-effects. The dosage has increased to 15 mg weekly & all my blood tests are normal. But will I have to stay on methotrexate for life?"

Aigoual (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 12, 2016

"I have been prescribed methotrexate for psoriatic arthritis at 5 x 2.5 dosage once a week, followed by 3 days of folic acid. The day after I took it for the first time I was disabled with voting, nausea and flu like symptoms. I felt awful but persevered. Week 2 and the same happened but this time with a very runny nose - like a waterfall. I was vomiting so badly that yellow bile was coming out - it felt like the lining of my stomach had been shredded. I stopped taking them. I felt I was dying - bloody awful drug"

Mr Mac (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

"20 years ago I was put on methotrexate after being diagnosed with psioritic arthritis. At the time I was riddled with pain & had great difficulty walking. Thanks to methotrexate my pains are almost gone & I was able to work to 65 & love walking since I retired. Only prob been April this year when I had a severe reaction to my " new " methatrexate tablets ( my chemist changed supplier) . The pharmacy at the hospital stock my original tablets ( by Orion Pharma & marked 2.5mm ) so all I did was change to a pharmacy that would supply the correct tablets. Wonder how many have had the same prob or even had to come off altogether ???"

Gdad Jimbo (taken for 10 years or more) July 9, 2016

"I was on Methotrexate for 3-4 years after trying every option I started 17.5mg when I was 19. It cleared my psoriasis perfectly! I struggled with side effects. Weakness and exhaustion, loss of appetite which lead to severe weight loss, and nausea. I changed to the injections at 20mg, and found a huge differences in side effects. Still not a lot of energy but not going through my stomach was better for the nausea and appetite so I could get healthy. I stayed on methrexate for as long as I could before I felt it was draining me. Now I am off it for 1 year and hav bad psoriasis again i wondering if it's best to go back on. both effect you in different was, emotionally and phsically."

Gmh2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 1, 2016

"I was diagnosed with psoriasis at the age of 14. My life was hell by the time I was 18. It covered pretty much every where the sun didn't shine. I tried every thing topical, uv light and sun bathing, different diets you name it, I tried it. In my 30's I accepted that the only way I as ever going to have relief was by once every three or so months sun bath until I was so burnt it forced the psoriasis to slow down. I met a random stranger who saw my psoriasis and mentioned methotrexate. He told me his story, so I gave it a try. I hope the people who are complaining after six or even seven weeks stay the course. It took me four moths to see results. I am 40 now and have been %95 clear for the past eight years. 12mg once a week."

AllClear May 7, 2016

"After 20 years of psoriasis and having had light treatment and creams I was prescribed cyclosporin which was fantastic. Almost clear within 2 weeks but over a long period of time it affected my kidneys. Been on methotrexate for 1 week 12.5mg per week and no real change. Not as quick as cyclosporin but I am hopeful it will clear soon"

Picnic April 30, 2016

"For all the people just starting MTX for psoriasis...patience, it takes time!!!! I have had psoriasis for 20 years worse every year for the last decade, tried ointments, UV therapy, all sorts diets in vain. Started MTX 7.5mg weekly 4 months ago, feeling heart broken the first couple months as I saw no change, but it is happening... at turtle speed I am clearing. After 3 months the itch stopped now I am VERY SLOWLY clearing ( as long as I don't take any alcohol). Dermatologist said at such low dose expect best benefit around 6 months. No side effects!"

Scaly April 2, 2016

"On methotrexate for 20 years, no issues w/liver function. Otezla worked much better, but ins. refused to cover it, back on metho. Psoriasis since age 7, psoriatic arthritis since 40's. Now 54. Increased metho from 10mg/wk to 15/wk, pain and scaling more severe. New patches around my eyes, lids are swollen, painful and itchy. Eyes constantly dry, red, painful, itchy - might have psoriasis and/or psoriatic arthritis in them, going back to rheumatologist and an opthalmologist for help. OTC allergy eye drops, soothing drops and nightly administration of Vaseline in/around eyes not alleviating condition. Very sore all over, sunny weather alleviates the patches and joint/tendon pain. Can't wait to sunbathe! No biologics, cancer scare."

AustinTexas February 12, 2016

"I've had psoriasis for the past 10 years and was exhausted from trying creams and such. I searched for a treatment that would do more - and have been on methotrexate for about 7 weeks now. I haven't noticed any change in my skin - atleast not for the better. I've been really itchy, and I really feel like my scalp has gotten worse. I have flakes constantly and my head is covered in acne and red bumps now. My face is getting a bit of acne too. And, despite the fact that I eat very healthy and work out, I have put on about 2 pounds per week. :( So sad"

Better Living January 12, 2016