User Reviews for Methotrexate

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Methotrexate Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 259 medications used in the treatment of Psoriasis.

Reviews for Methotrexate to treat Psoriasis

"20 years ago I was put on methotrexate after being diagnosed with psioritic arthritis. At the time I was riddled with pain & had great difficulty walking. Thanks to methotrexate my pains are almost gone & I was able to work to 65 & love walking since I retired. Only prob been April this year when I had a severe reaction to my " new " methatrexate tablets ( my chemist changed supplier) . The pharmacy at the hospital stock my original tablets ( by Orion Pharma & marked 2.5mm ) so all I did was change to a pharmacy that would supply the correct tablets. Wonder how many have had the same prob or even had to come off altogether ???"

Gdad Jimbo (taken for 10 years or more) July 9, 2016

"I was on Methotrexate for 3-4 years after trying every option I started 17.5mg when I was 19. It cleared my psoriasis perfectly! I struggled with side effects. Weakness and exhaustion, loss of appetite which lead to severe weight loss, and nausea. I changed to the injections at 20mg, and found a huge differences in side effects. Still not a lot of energy but not going through my stomach was better for the nausea and appetite so I could get healthy. I stayed on methrexate for as long as I could before I felt it was draining me. Now I am off it for 1 year and hav bad psoriasis again i wondering if it's best to go back on. both effect you in different was, emotionally and phsically."

Gmh2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 1, 2016

"I was diagnosed with psoriasis at the age of 14. My life was hell by the time I was 18. It covered pretty much every where the sun didn't shine. I tried every thing topical, uv light and sun bathing, different diets you name it, I tried it. In my 30's I accepted that the only way I as ever going to have relief was by once every three or so months sun bath until I was so burnt it forced the psoriasis to slow down. I met a random stranger who saw my psoriasis and mentioned methotrexate. He told me his story, so I gave it a try. I hope the people who are complaining after six or even seven weeks stay the course. It took me four moths to see results. I am 40 now and have been %95 clear for the past eight years. 12mg once a week."

AllClear May 7, 2016

"After 20 years of psoriasis and having had light treatment and creams I was prescribed cyclosporin which was fantastic. Almost clear within 2 weeks but over a long period of time it affected my kidneys. Been on methotrexate for 1 week 12.5mg per week and no real change. Not as quick as cyclosporin but I am hopeful it will clear soon"

Picnic April 30, 2016

"For all the people just starting MTX for psoriasis...patience, it takes time!!!! I have had psoriasis for 20 years worse every year for the last decade, tried ointments, UV therapy, all sorts diets in vain. Started MTX 7.5mg weekly 4 months ago, feeling heart broken the first couple months as I saw no change, but it is happening... at turtle speed I am clearing. After 3 months the itch stopped now I am VERY SLOWLY clearing ( as long as I don't take any alcohol). Dermatologist said at such low dose expect best benefit around 6 months. No side effects!"

Scaly April 2, 2016

"On methotrexate for 20 years, no issues w/liver function. Otezla worked much better, but ins. refused to cover it, back on metho. Psoriasis since age 7, psoriatic arthritis since 40's. Now 54. Increased metho from 10mg/wk to 15/wk, pain and scaling more severe. New patches around my eyes, lids are swollen, painful and itchy. Eyes constantly dry, red, painful, itchy - might have psoriasis and/or psoriatic arthritis in them, going back to rheumatologist and an opthalmologist for help. OTC allergy eye drops, soothing drops and nightly administration of Vaseline in/around eyes not alleviating condition. Very sore all over, sunny weather alleviates the patches and joint/tendon pain. Can't wait to sunbathe! No biologics, cancer scare."

AustinTexas February 12, 2016

"I've had psoriasis for the past 10 years and was exhausted from trying creams and such. I searched for a treatment that would do more - and have been on methotrexate for about 7 weeks now. I haven't noticed any change in my skin - atleast not for the better. I've been really itchy, and I really feel like my scalp has gotten worse. I have flakes constantly and my head is covered in acne and red bumps now. My face is getting a bit of acne too. And, despite the fact that I eat very healthy and work out, I have put on about 2 pounds per week. :( So sad"

Better Living January 12, 2016

"I've been taking this medicine for 9 weeks now. I'm taking 7.5mg once a week but have seen NO difference whatsoever! All I seem to be getting is little boils everywhere, sickness, nausea and weight gain! :("

kuli (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2015

"I was diagnosed with severe advanced plaque psoriasis in Dec, 2014. I was 60% covered when I first went to my dermatologist. By the end of Mar, 2015 after trying one ointment after another I was 95% covered, in pain (felt like 3rd degree sunburn), the itching was like a million fire ant bites 24/7. I couldn't lay down or sleep. The doctor started me on Methotrexate in May. Within 6 wks, I was totally clear and still am. (10/18/15) I take 2-2.5mg tablets Mon AM & again Mon PM then 1 Tues AM for a total of 12.5 mg a wk. I also take 1-1mg Folic Acid every day. I go in for follow ups and blood work every 3 mths but I'm fine now.... thanks to Methotrexate."

TPCDSecretary (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2015

"I have been taking a 15 mg weekly dose (three doses of 5 mg at 12 hour intervals once a week) for five weeks now. My psoriasis -- pretty heavy scaling on all joints, and "splatter" over pretty much the whole body, which I've had for 18 years (I'm 51) -- has gone almost completely (still a little bit on elbows, knees, and ankles; hands and rest of body are completely clear). Yes, early days, but hopefully.... My only suggestion is to get empty gelatine capsules (or gelatine substitute if you are vegetarian; harder to get hold of) and put the tablets in them before taking. Helps avoid stomach upset."

AndyW September 3, 2015

"I started methotrexate in September 2014 as my body was 75% covered with psoriasis and I had tried every topical/light treatment going. The drug worked wonders and I couldn't believe how my skin was clearing up, by jan/feb I'm actually wearing dresses without tights and short sleeves (especially at work which I'd never done before) the only downside was that the day after I took methotrexate I felt so tired I've ended up having days off work because of it, I decided to come off it in about may 2015 and am now waiting to try a new drug Adalumimab (spelling!?) and my skin has come back worse from methotrexate I'm in so much pain and I'm covered in guttate :(."

wrighth2009 August 7, 2015

"I have suffered with psoriasis for 30 years and have tried every possible lotion potion shampoo etc that my dermatologist has recommended - I started taking 10mg methotrexate once per week only 1 month ago - I have not noticed any reduction In scale patches and I am still quite itchy - is this Normal??"

Snowflake shoulders August 1, 2015

"i was getting suicidal from severe scalp psoriasis methotrexate cleared it up,my bald spts went away but for a week ive noticed hair loss and patches coming back,i'm so upset"

karencool July 15, 2015

"Just started the 15mg dose taken as 6 X 2.5mg tablets. 1st week taking them I had explosive diarrhea after 1 hour of taking medication. I hoped it was coincidence. 1 week later I am already seeing an improvement in my psariosis. I took the dosage this week on an empty stomach and with in an hour stomach cramps and diarrhea. I am going to stick with it until my appointment with dermatologist when I will ask for injections instead. I did have very mild nausea and a slightly fuzzy head after. I will keep u all updated"

hopeful irish man June 9, 2015

"68 year old male who has had Psoriasis for 46 years with coverage up to 90% of my body. No one would initially R(x) me methotrexate so I flew to Trinidad from Canada to see a doc there that would prescribe it. After the initial treatment I was totally free for three years then it came back. I was on every research pgm my cream passes could put me on PUVA, Soralyn, vit A, coal tar, retanoic acid, that stuff that turns everything purple (can't recall name). Finally I had to see a head shrinker as I was fairly emotionally messed up. He R(x)ed me methotrexate 2.5x3 every 12 hours for 36 hours, said not to drink and that I should get liver bios. I've had 10 invasive liver bios in 46 years 10 years ago I said no thanks no more. I'm clear."

MickSAus May 31, 2015

"Age 59, F, living N W Eire. No history of psoriasis until it struck 2 yrs ago. Small plaques on scalp, left elbow, then palms of hands, fingers & soles of feet. Itchy, shredding skin, burning as if stung by nettles. Open, painful cracks. Emollients, lotions, prescription creams had no effect. Water & detergents irritated. Touch & walking agony. Latex gloves for shower/chores, cotton gloves at work. Dermatologist found 'debilitating stage 2 psoriatic arthritis' prescribed 2.5 Methotrexate x6 once wkly plus Folic Acid and bloods checked wkly. Now 7th week. Plus: using hands & walking, no irritation. Neg: tired, poor focus, urinary infections, worse in bad weather, still avoiding water/detergents. Conclusion: Highly recommend Methotrexate"

NW Eire (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

"Started with pill form of methotrexate at 15 mg dosage per week. Moved to injection form and increased dosage to 25mg per week. Seen lots of improvement on my psoriasis. Tired the day and day after injection but not concerned. Stomach a bit irritated but a little drawback for the good benefits."

brooklin kid (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2015

"I have autoimmune disease and at the age of 65 developed sudden onset psoriasis on my body (arms, neck, chest, legs, ankles, scalp). Within one month of methotrexate treatment (.05 cc once a week) the psoriasis was noticeably disappearing. I have been taking a weekly dose for six months now and have had excellent results. I am also taking Folic Acid and have blood testing done about every 45 days. At this point I have had no adverse side affects and am grateful that I have relief from the psoriasis. In addition, the drug has given me moderate relief from hand and foot joint pain."

Equis February 11, 2015

Methotrexate LPF Sodium (methotrexate): "Seeing marked improvement in little over 48 hours of receiving injection. Psoriasis is 2/3 s the coloration as before . After 54 years of having this I am pleasantly surprised. Thought it would work much slower. At this point I am thrilled. No side effects yet !"

Juju a October 6, 2014

"I have suffered with psoriasis since I was 19years old now in my 40s I have tried everything on the market, been on methotrexate since New Year's Day and I am so happy to say that it has nearly all gone. I holiday with all my friends and don't feel embarrassed, I am so happy. I would recommend, it's a slow process but five months in and pretty much clear. No side effects, tired on day of medication but that's no issue."

Mrs DT (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I live in the UK & have had plaque psoriasis for 20 yrs. After various lotions, UVB & PUVA, my knees & elbows became infected and I could hardly walk or sleep with the discomfort. As I also have depression, my dermatologist decided on prescribing methotrexate as my quality of life was so severely affected. I take 15mg tablets once a week, within a month it had all but gone, & has remained that way. It has been a year since I started, it's such a relief not to think about my knees all the time! I also take folic acid, & the skin on my face has become quite oily, but it's definitely worth it. I've recently noticed the few patches I have left are beginning to increase in size, but I hope this improves with the arrival of summer!"

LeopardHat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Tried all other methods for relief of psoriasis, 80% of body. Have been on methotrexate for 5.5 weeks, belly, back, chest and forearms are all clear, very mild psoriasis that isn't red or irritated on upper arms and lower legs. My confidence and self esteem has increased heaps, excited to go for a swim 2nd time since I've had psoriasis (7 years). Only had bad fatigue for first few weeks, haven't drank any alcohol, healthy diet with minimal junk food, and nausea if I eat something really, fatty eg. pizza. Skin colour isn't yellowing nor getting black under the eyes, or anything else relating to bad liver. Would definitely recommend this medication. "

Kimmy9519 January 6, 2014

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had psoriasis on my scalp since I was a baby with "Cradle Cap.'' It was left untreated until I was about 21. I have tried every cream and t-gel out there. Nothing cleared it up fully. Since I turned 24 the condition has spread to other parts of my body, usually parts that don%u2019t get much light. Psoriasis is terrible and affects everyone so differently. This condition has kept me from getting close to people and even kept me from going to hair dressers. Finally I decided to start this medicine. I'm currently on my fourth week of 15mg oral methotrexate. I have noticed a huge decrease in itching and my patches seem to be not as scaly. I really hope this works, so far so good."

scaly girl (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This drug greatly helped my psoriatic arthritis, but not the plaque poriasis, which always came back. I've been through the scrip topicals, light treatments, Amiveve, etc. I was 98% covered. Why did not a single doctor ever tell me NOT to touch beer???? If you drink beer put it DOWN and see how quickly you begin to clear up. Pork is another culprit as it is slow to digest and effects the immune system. For topical relief? Try OTC Boudreaux's Butt Paste baby diaper rash cream, which far outshines Dovonex. Scalp treatment? Nutrogena T-Gel Shampoo works quickly. If you are severely covered add zinc or zinc supplements to your diet. I haven't gone to a derm in years and I am clear!!!!"

Kimber321 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2013

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had psoriasis since I can remember, last year after a foot injury I developed psoriatic arthritis. Since it has spread to both feet, both knees, one hand and lower back. Leaving me hardly being able to walk at 30. I started methotrexate 4 weeks ago and it is helping a lot. Only side effects for me are fatigue. I do 1 ml injections once a week. If you have PsA, get on methotrexate. If you can handle the needles injections are the way to go."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2013