User Reviews for Methotrexate (Page 2)

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall, Xatmep

Ectopic Pregnancy

1 review 9 medications
UveitisNot rated - Be the first1 review 79 medications
Summary of Methotrexate reviews 7.2 179 reviews

Reviews for Methotrexate

For Psoriasis: "I am 25 years and I have psoriasis from the age of 20. The treatment helped to completely leave the psoroasis was methotrexate and solarium. Now I have no psoriasis and as a treatment( to not appear again) is to do solarium for 5 months of the year"

nick-123 March 14, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was on this medicine for about 4 years. I tried the pill form which caused severe vomiting. After 2 doses it was intolerable and I was switched to injectable. I felt exhausted and had nausea and diarrhea for 3-4 days but I was able to get out of bed for the other days so this was a plus. Unfortunately, I picked up a nasty case of pneumonia even after getting the vaccine. Either I had exposure or it was caused by the methotrexate. I had to stop methotrexate. It took at least 2 month to recover and I'm still having asthmatic reaction. My doctor says I should continue to stay off it for now. He wants me to restart if RA symptoms return (which they are). I'm terrified to restart. He wants to switch to Simponi but I'm afraid of that too."

RZC (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Methotrexate was effective in the beginning for me. After three years of taking 6 pills weekly I contracted Lemierre's Sydrome Disease and Necrotizing Fasciatis (two fatal) diseases. I survived and do not take any RA medication. I live a healthy meat free and low omega 6 and 9 diet. Also used several supplements to keep immune system healthy but nothing worked. "

DNiece1957 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 2, 2017

For Psoriasis: "I was diagnosed with psoriasis about 1.5 years ago at the age of 24. It was severe in my scalp, ears, elbows, hands, knees, legs and feet. I've tried every single remedy out there. Every cream and ointment the derm prescribed. Finally; I stood my ground and needed a change; it was affecting my everyday life terribly. I've been on the methotrexate 15mg and folic acid 1mg for about two months now and my elbows, hands, feet are clear, my elbows and scalp have decreased dramatically! I have absolutely no side effects which was my biggest fear! Life is good! It's amazing!"

abushy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "33yo male, 8 years of Psoriatic arthritis with very minimal skin involvement, was prescribed MTX in triple therapy with Sulfasalazine and Hydroxychloroquinine for Psoriatic arthritis. After several months of dose escalation, unfortunately it did not help me at all, no major side effects either but no clinical efficacy."

Aussie Beau (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "methotrexate made me sick for days after taking it. I was on it off and on for 7 years and in different ways and all made me sick. If ur not in school or have kids ya its cool it kinda works if u don't have ra bad but if in school or have kids DONT TAKE....."

heavenM. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2017

For Psoriasis: "I have had Psoriasis for some number of years, since my 50s started and prior to that nothing more than a dry elbow. I tried all the usual stuff and I mean all of the junk I could waste money on.I broke down an went to derm doc and went with steriod cream and blulight with very little change. So I quit derm doc for a few years and then become desperate as my Psoriasis went totally off the charts, and I started the methotrexate med or as i call it chemo pills. So far the itching seems to have let up a fair amount an I'm only on week one , The side effects are not at all like I had feared .I'm terrified of new medicines as so many meds seem to be on the lawsuit. I have noticed a loss of energy but nothing drastic,and aside from that no problems."

Flaky (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "After becoming sick with this disease doctor initially started me on methotrexate pills and I developed what they call "phantosmia"...I smelled horrible things that weren't there. So we switched to injections and didn't get the smells anymore. Then he started Enbrel as well. I felt good for awhile and decided to stop the methotrexate because it was making me tired and weak. Two years later, I'm back on if because my back and neck were killing me and I'm getting 60-70%r relief after one shot of .8. Pretty happy about that but the trade off of sleeping all day and being weak and nauseated all reminded me of why I stopped too. But it does help so you weigh what's important to you."

Autoimmune mom in the desert November 17, 2016

For Ectopic Pregnancy: "My Methotrexate injections made me feel like absolute trash, BUT I am so thankful for this medication because it kept me from needing exploratory surgery to find my ectopic pregnancy. My ectopic was caught very early on due to being monitored with an RE. My number never went above 285. I was given the injection on 10/18/16 and my HcG levels were back down to negative as soon as 11/1/16. The only downside (other than the physical side effects) is that we have to wait 3 more months to try again because the drug can cause birth defects. I felt very weak and tired for a few weeks after my injection but after less than 1 month I'm starting to feel like myself again. If you're reading this and just found out you're having an ectopic-I'm so sorry."

MTXthrowaway November 16, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA just under a year ago. I started with 10mg tablets with Folic Acid. Initially I suffered from a lot of nausea and bad sleep etc. I must confess though after the first diagnosis every twitch or cough made me think the worst. My Dr. upped my dosage to 12.5mg and changed me to the injection which she said should take away the nausea which worked but the pains remained. She also put me on anti inflamatory pills. Shortly after my last check-up in July, my pains have nearly completely subsided so I didn"

Laguiri October 25, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Methotrexate helps immensely with my rheumatoid arthritis pain. I know this because I became ill and couldn't get to the doctor for my blood tests so I ran out of my methotrexate and my pain increased dramatically."

rohise (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was started on Plaquenil when diagnosed with RA about two years ago at the end of summer. I told the doctor there was no way I would take MTX. By the following late spring I had what it took me a while to realize was a major flare-up. I already had one pointer finger that couldn't bend, and now the other one was stuck in the out position. I couldn't make fists. So I started on MTX once a week, along with 1 mg of folic acid/day. After about two months I began to see improvements. After a longer time my doctor said I was in remission. I take both Plaquenil and MTX, with few side effects. On my MTX day, and the day after, I'm sometimes low energy, and often slightly queasy. Not enough to keep me from eating entirely."

PearlRiver October 23, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was put on Methotrexate by my specialist. I was on it for 3 months and had many side effects. I informed my Specialist who said it will pass and doubled my dose. I had 14 side effects and constantly had an upset stomach. I'm 28 so the whole not being able to get pregnant whilst on the drug is a bit of an issue. I am now on a new medication."

Katie-J October 23, 2016

Otrexup (methotrexate) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was in remission with Arava and oral methotrexate for 7 years, but stopped taking methotrexate because I didn't think I needed it anymore and I was slightly nauseated every time I took it. It was a big mistake because my feet are a hot mess. I became totally out of remission with major shoulder/neck pain and fatigue. I recently added Otrexup, in additional taking Arava. After 2 weeks I was pain free and my energy level has returned. I am paying $179 per month for Otrexup and it's a hardship. I am planning to discuss with my doctor going back on oral methotrexate which is only $10 per month."

karkeeki October 16, 2016

For Psoriasis: "I had a good experiance with Methotrexate. I've been fighting with psorises for last 8 years. I'm 35. I tried so many things. One of my doctor gave me methotrexate just to try on me 4 years back. 2 tables a week. For 3 weeks For example ( if I took one table in morning and one in evening in monday. Then the same dose on next Monday. And the last one next Monday.) So after this dose my psorises disappears for 6 to 7 months. I repeat this dose onces a year. But the best effected treatment for me was herbal treatment from China. I stayed there for 3 weeks . They gave me herbals to boil and drink the water with proper diet. I did this for 4 months and my psorises was gone for 12 months. I was not able to continue that diet n treatment."

Razwan (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have spondalopathy and My Enbrel was not as effective anymore and not long after taking my first dose of methotrexate in conjunction with the Enbrel the pain in my lower back was gone."

Historylover33 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with JRA at 20, although I've had it since I was a very young age. I'm 44 now and I'm just beginning to take drugs for the disease, as my Drs only prescribed pain relievers. I've been on Methotrexate just short of a month. I'm very ill after I take it, and I have chest pain. Hopefully my body will get used to it and I'll be better. It's scary for me, and I keep checking the side effects."

AngB44 September 26, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was very ill on methotrexate for 10 weeks, nauseous,weak,pain in my chest. I was told I would get used to the side effects. After 10 weeks in ended up in ER vommiting blood requiring blood transfusions. Methotrexate was very dangerous for me and has destroyed my stomach. I found minocin very helpful until I pulled out infected root canal.... Instant relief. No pains now."

einyhealth (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have taken methotrexate for 4 years now and only when I was put on Humeria did I get any relief . the side effect I have had are depression and sweating but not hardly any stiffness and not much discomfort so for me the combination works for me ."

Keston (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had taken MTX in past but it did not work out for me due to rash proplem caused by MTX so Doctor recommended Sulfasalazine and it worked out very good for about 4 years but the end of friendship came to us...Sulfasalazine was not effective anymore. I met a Doctor who practice natrual madicine also ER Dortor at the local hospital....He recommended 3 natrual Supplements for RA and pain( Turmeric, Wobenzym N, White Willow) and they are very effective (on me) and it is better than Chemical based medications. I have been off from those deadly medications for 5 months now."

Turmeric September 14, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on methotrexate for 4 months now. The Rheumatoid arthritis came out of no where. I went to my primary care physician with me feet and my thumbs he basically said I was getting older to take aleve and get comfortable shoes. Well I month later I could barely walk so primary care physician did blood work. My RA factor was 1382. It took me another month to get an appointment with a rheumatologist. The rheumatologist is going to fail me on methotrexate on the 28 if this month because my levels are not coming down as expected. I am currently on 17.5mg of methotrexate. I take them on Friday night and Saturdays I am exhausted. I constantly have pain in my hands,wrists,ankles,knees and feet. I am just afraid the next med won't work either"

went September 11, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been using Methotrexate for about a year. Haven't had any bad side effects. But when I started using the Plaquenil (generic form), the side effects where awful. My hands became red and very dry, cracking to the point of bleeding. I could not stop from scratching. I had dry, almost psoriasis' like patches on my wrist and arms. Had to stop taking it. All that went away. I'm still taking the methotrexate without any issues. Just have to keep up with the blood work. Now however, the dr. wants me to start on Humira, and I'm worried about the side effects that might cause. So, please, I need some feedback on Humira. What type of issues have any of you who take it, have had? Thanks!"

GW70 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA 2 years ago and am grateful that Methotrexate allows me to live a normal life, 20mg once a week, I have a flare every now and then which is managed by a steroid injection. i take 5mg Folic acid everyday to counteract side effects. I am tired on MTX day but generally have not experienced anything negative with the drug. However I take it last thing at night on the day I have to take it, and take it with Milk, I figure if there are any effects I would rather sleep through them, also I don't want to start taking a stomach acid medication so I tried it with milk and it was fine. It's worked for me."

Puz August 31, 2016

For Psoriasis: "At age 66, after a very stressful phase of work over 7 months, I developed psoriasis very suddenly. With no previous skin problems & no family history of psoriasis either, I conclude that the stress was the trigger. I had the psoriasis all over but the worst was on my scalp - it felt like an iron band pressing in around my head. The dermatologist prescribed a whole range of creams and ointments over a year. Nothing worked. Finally in Nov. 2015 I was proscribed methotrexate + 1 folic acid tablet weekly. I was told it would take up to 3 months to kick in & it did, but in Aug.'16 I am virtually clear with no side-effects. The dosage has increased to 15 mg weekly & all my blood tests are normal. But will I have to stay on methotrexate for life?"

Aigoual (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 12, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Roughly one year now and methotrexate has been working miracles. I started at 10 mg/week and eventually moved up to 12.5 mg/week. From the outset I was tapering off of 10 mg/day of prednisone but could not completely eliminate it until I moved the methotrexate up to 12.5 mg/week. Per doctors recommendation I'm also taking 5,000 mg of vitamin D daily and 1,000 mg of calcium daily (I don't eat much dairy). Side effects: None, except that I sometimes take a short nap after dinner on "methotrexate day" (I take it after lunch so as not to interfere with my pre-dinner martini(s)). Without methotrexate I could barely walk!"

WalkingAgain August 11, 2016