User Reviews for Methotrexate (Page 2)

Also known as: Folex PFS, Methotrexate LPF Sodium, Otrexup, Rasuvo, Rheumatrex Dose Pack, Trexall

Learn more about Methotrexate.

Psoriasis 53 reviews 311 medications

Gastric Cancer 1 reviews 3 medications

Scleroderma 1 reviews 9 medications

Summary of Methotrexate reviews 125 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Methotrexate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Methotrexate has been a miracle for me. For the past 3 years experiencing extreme tiredness, no energy to do anything, thankful to get through a day's work. Tried every combination of vitamins the world has ever made without any results. Then over last one year severe inflammation of hands, could barely make a fist, difficulty using hands. Under rheumatologist advice used 2 other medications till placed on methotrexate with a dose of 5 pills per week. Have been on this dose past 8 months with great results. Have been walking, biking around from 2 to 4 miles frequently, mowing grass, doing property maintenance 6 to 8 hrs per day and still having energy to continue working on other things! Crossing fingers, THANKS METHOTREXATE!"

jFr123 December 22, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am 23 years old, I was diagnosed with RA at age 21. My pain, swelling & fatigue was so severe, I could barely walk and had to be in a wheelchair during my hospital stay. My Rheum. started me on MTX immediately along with prednisone. At one point I was also taking Enbrel (biologic), but the auto injections were so painful, it outweighed the benefit of the drug and I stopped taking it. I am now only taking prednisone during flare ups and take 25 mgs of MTX every week. The RA already makes me so tired, the added side effects of MTX are next to unbearable. The day after I take the drug, I am so fatigued, I can barely pick my head up. The nausea and vomitting is awful. It is: Would you rather not be able to walk? Or walk and be sick?"

Kari Zari (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2015

For Psoriasis: "I was diagnosed with severe advanced plaque psoriasis in Dec, 2014. I was 60% covered when I first went to my dermatologist. By the end of Mar, 2015 after trying one ointment after another I was 95% covered, in pain (felt like 3rd degree sunburn), the itching was like a million fire ant bites 24/7. I couldn't lay down or sleep. The doctor started me on Methotrexate in May. Within 6 wks, I was totally clear and still am. (10/18/15) I take 2-2.5mg tablets Mon AM & again Mon PM then 1 Tues AM for a total of 12.5 mg a wk. I also take 1-1mg Folic Acid every day. I go in for follow ups and blood work every 3 mths but I'm fine now.... thanks to Methotrexate."

TPCDSecretary (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2015

For Ectopic Pregnancy: "Ectopic pregnancy, 11 weeks. Was not warned about the side effects other than I would have cramping and pain. Day 1 after methorexate not too bad, definitely nauseous & lower back cramping, then toward the end of day 2 and day 3 & 4 I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Terrible nausea, felt like my body was made of lead, no strength, no energy, strong labor like pain & all over malaise."

valley view (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "When I was first diagnosed my hands hurt so badly I wondered how I could convince my doctor to amputate them and give me prosthetics. Methotrexate was among the first things tried to get my RA under control. After steroids, a variety of IV therapies, and anti-inflammatories Methotrexate has been my mainstay and keeps my RA under control as well as the biologics. I take it orally with no side effects. Yeah for Methotrexate in my life."

211106 September 17, 2015

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Methotrexate has helped with the pain, but no one told me that it could affect my blood glucose and pressure. I worked for 3 years to control my diabetes with diet and had just completely normalized my glucose levels. Methotrexate ruined that with the first dose. So should a person take it and add additional BP meds and have to go on diabetes meds?"

Devora2 September 16, 2015

For Psoriasis: "I have been taking a 15 mg weekly dose (three doses of 5 mg at 12 hour intervals once a week) for five weeks now. My psoriasis -- pretty heavy scaling on all joints, and "splatter" over pretty much the whole body, which I've had for 18 years (I'm 51) -- has gone almost completely (still a little bit on elbows, knees, and ankles; hands and rest of body are completely clear). Yes, early days, but hopefully.... My only suggestion is to get empty gelatine capsules (or gelatine substitute if you are vegetarian; harder to get hold of) and put the tablets in them before taking. Helps avoid stomach upset."

AndyW September 3, 2015

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Methotrexate has a profound effect on my life. I have been taking it for nearly 5 months and can walk freely again after 6 long months of suffering. I have experienced no major side effects and have even lost a little weight which was surprising. Another pleasing change was not only did my arthritis clear up rapidly but my skin has cleared as well. My nails are also smoother and less pitted. Methotrexate is truly a wonder drug. It has transformed my life. It is remarkable."

Megan NZ (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I took Methotrexate for 17 years. Started with tablets but progressed to injections for less chance of side effects (and cheaper!). Always felt tired and nauseous for a day after, which got worse and lasted longer over the years, so that instead of just folic acid, my rheum had me take leucovorin the day after (a stronger folic acid). But 6 months ago I developed fatigue, malaise and chronic low grade fever despite normal blood tests; my rheum said he had seen that before in other patients taking Methotrexate and considered it a toxic reaction! There is no literature on this reaction, but I got better once I stopped, so just be aware."

CCEA August 13, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Scleroderma: "I have morphea, or what they call localized scleroderma. This condition causes red, brown and white patches on the skin, but no other real physical symptoms, so it's very hard for me to justify staying on this medication for 3 months, when it makes me feel so run down. It makes me feel cold, tired, and always like I'm coming down with something. Not sure how long I'll be able to handle these side effects."

Leeia (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2015

For Psoriasis: "I started methotrexate in September 2014 as my body was 75% covered with psoriasis and I had tried every topical/light treatment going. The drug worked wonders and I couldn't believe how my skin was clearing up, by jan/feb I'm actually wearing dresses without tights and short sleeves (especially at work which I'd never done before) the only downside was that the day after I took methotrexate I felt so tired I've ended up having days off work because of it, I decided to come off it in about may 2015 and am now waiting to try a new drug Adalumimab (spelling!?) and my skin has come back worse from methotrexate I'm in so much pain and I'm covered in guttate :(."

wrighth2009 August 7, 2015

For Psoriasis: "I have suffered with psoriasis for 30 years and have tried every possible lotion potion shampoo etc that my dermatologist has recommended - I started taking 10mg methotrexate once per week only 1 month ago - I have not noticed any reduction In scale patches and I am still quite itchy - is this Normal??"

Snowflake shoulders August 1, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "When all other meds/combo of meds failed my rheumy put me on mtx (8 tabs@ 2.5 mg. once a week). I still take 4 mg prednisone twice a day, 400 mg of plaquenil at night, and folic acid every morning. It's been a long road and a lot of ups and downs but I have seen the most progress since mtx was added to my combo of meds. I still have some pain but the stiffness (which used to last most of the day) and the swelling has improved. I am always nauseous and feel lethargic the first 24 - 48 hours after the mtx dose but 1-2 days of that is better than the alternative. I've always been extremely active so it has been rough struggling to do simple things."

Annie M (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2015

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I got my RA seven years ago and have eaten Mtx since then. For me it has worked great. I had no weird side effects either. I ate 8 tablets a week for seven years, but now I'm down to 6 tablets .... it works great too. I am Swedish, and our Mtx looks a bit different."

MisoPretty July 19, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed at 10mths old after a knee biopsy. I have been taking methotrexate on & off since I was 16 years old & I am now 41 years old. This medication has greatly reduce the activity of the disease & has increased the quality of my life greatly. I have just changed from methotrexate oral tablets to methotrexate injections. The tablets were making me feel nauseous so my specialist decided to put me on injections to bypass my stomach. The injections are easy to administer & relatively pain free. I am presently just trying to find the right dose for me due to suffering side effects. 15mg has caused me a severely sore lips & mouth, nausea, dizziness, lethargy & abdominal cramps. 12.5mg is the correct dose for me."

Sharrona July 19, 2015

For Psoriasis: "i was getting suicidal from severe scalp psoriasis methotrexate cleared it up,my bald spts went away but for a week ive noticed hair loss and patches coming back,i'm so upset"

karencool July 15, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started mtx in early 2010, I was on it the better part of the last 5 years. I'm also on my fourth biologic. I take 2mg of folic acid daily. Last May I did a four day stretch in hospital because of bone marrow suppression. RBC, WBC, ANC, platelets and hemoglobin were very low. (ANC under 200). I was given leucorvorin rescue. This is a very rare side effect for low dose mtx. Although the drug only gave me a 10 to 20% improvement, the biologic gives me 60 to 90%. Now I'm about to start Arava, I wish I could retry the mtx at half dose as it doesn't cause much in the way of minor side effects. I often think of Huey Lewis and his song "I want a new drug"."

RheumTrucker (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 2, 2015

For Psoriasis: "Just started the 15mg dose taken as 6 X 2.5mg tablets. 1st week taking them I had explosive diarrhea after 1 hour of taking medication. I hoped it was coincidence. 1 week later I am already seeing an improvement in my psariosis. I took the dosage this week on an empty stomach and with in an hour stomach cramps and diarrhea. I am going to stick with it until my appointment with dermatologist when I will ask for injections instead. I did have very mild nausea and a slightly fuzzy head after. I will keep u all updated"

hopeful irish man June 9, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on this medication for about 2 months now. I was taking prednisone before but that wouldn't help much. After the second week of taking methotrexate I can honestly say I am pain free. I can actually enjoy doing all the stuff I used to do before being diagnosed with RA. Before starting this medication I would experience horrible pain in my shoulders, hands, fingers, hips and ankles. I would have a rough time getting through the day. This medication works wonderfully."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Methotrexate 25mg for 6 weeks now, but 6 month for 20 mg and I have seen much improvement with my back pain. I do have severe rib and chest pain still, but the back pain is much better. I feel like a zombie though every day I can barely make it through the day. I am so upset about my hair. I have cut almost 6 inches off and still have dry damaged hair from the medicine. I loose handfuls of hair daily and the gi problems sometimes are pretty bad. So I don't know if the side effects out way the benefits. I wish I could have someone help Me fix these side effects and I would be ok. I think the fatigued is one of the worse though. :( ...."

Jenn Jenn June 2, 2015

For Psoriasis: "68 year old male who has had Psoriasis for 46 years with coverage up to 90% of my body. No one would initially R(x) me methotrexate so I flew to Trinidad from Canada to see a doc there that would prescribe it. After the initial treatment I was totally free for three years then it came back. I was on every research pgm my cream passes could put me on PUVA, Soralyn, vit A, coal tar, retanoic acid, that stuff that turns everything purple (can't recall name). Finally I had to see a head shrinker as I was fairly emotionally messed up. He R(x)ed me methotrexate 2.5x3 every 12 hours for 36 hours, said not to drink and that I should get liver bios. I've had 10 invasive liver bios in 46 years 10 years ago I said no thanks no more. I'm clear."

MickSAus May 31, 2015

For Psoriasis: "Age 59, F, living N W Eire. No history of psoriasis until it struck 2 yrs ago. Small plaques on scalp, left elbow, then palms of hands, fingers & soles of feet. Itchy, shredding skin, burning as if stung by nettles. Open, painful cracks. Emollients, lotions, prescription creams had no effect. Water & detergents irritated. Touch & walking agony. Latex gloves for shower/chores, cotton gloves at work. Dermatologist found 'debilitating stage 2 psoriatic arthritis' prescribed 2.5 Methotrexate x6 once wkly plus Folic Acid and bloods checked wkly. Now 7th week. Plus: using hands & walking, no irritation. Neg: tired, poor focus, urinary infections, worse in bad weather, still avoiding water/detergents. Conclusion: Highly recommend Methotrexate"

NW Eire (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

For Psoriasis: "Started with pill form of methotrexate at 15 mg dosage per week. Moved to injection form and increased dosage to 25mg per week. Seen lots of improvement on my psoriasis. Tired the day and day after injection but not concerned. Stomach a bit irritated but a little drawback for the good benefits."

brooklin kid (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm on my 3rd month and I do believe it's helping but the pain is still there. I have noticed as the dosage has increased it takes longer to bounce back and I'm unable to cut hair as that was my profession before diagnosis. I hope in time I will be able to get back to work but I am suffering several side effects. (hair falling out, unusually dry hair, quick to have to rest unlike before and several others) I was completely bed ridden before starting the medication so needless to say I don't want to try anything else because I am scared to take the chance that it won't work at all. I know I'm just beginning and hope in time the side effects will fade."

Jenni bug April 2, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "A couple of years ago my husband was at the point where he was limping severely, with swollen joints in his hands and feet. He was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and began taking methotrexate at 20 mg once a week; he has since cut back to 17.5 mg. It has made a huge difference in his functioning, and he's pretty much back to normal. (Regular strength training at the YMCA has also helped a lot). He was also told to take folic acid once a day, which he does. The only negative is that his hair has thinned quite a bit, which is a common side effect. He is in his 70s."

AnonCat March 19, 2015