User Reviews for Lupron Depot

Endometriosis
5.7

Summary of Lupron Depot reviews 5.9 136 reviews

Reviews for Lupron Depot

For Uterine Fibroids "I had very heavy periods. My doctor offered lupron shot. I decided to go with 2 lupron shots hopping it would shrink my fibroid. Instead, my fibroid grew bigger. It caused me horrible headaches with strongest pain killers not helping. After each shot my period would not stop for a month (at least it was not heavy). Hot flushes were horrible. Good night sleep was gone. I would wake up multiple times a night all drenched in sweat. After effect of lupron wore out and my period re-started it was as heavy as before. The only benefit I got was not having a period for few months (with some bleeding in between), but at a very high price (side effects and actual price). I think as heavy as my period was it was better to have my period for few days a month, than having frequent very bad headaches and constant hot flashes. I would not recommend it based on my experience. I would not have it done if I would have to decide today."

lupron_user (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2018

For Endometriosis "I will say I virtually have no periods and have had maybe 3 endo pain days that don’t come close to what the pain used to be. NOW the side effects are horrid! BUT I’ll take the side effects over the pain in periods. My bones ache not unbearable but uncomfortable. The night sweats bad but bearable. I’m tired lots but I can function with some caffeinated tea & b12 for energy. Mood swings and little depression/anxiety. It’s not intense depression for me like nothing that makes me want to harm myself it’s just more of a dark cloud following you around. So if you have mental “instability” before taking the drugs make sure you talk to your doctor. I did not lose hair and my hair did NOT thin/fall out. I did not gain weight. The side effects still make the medicine worth taking because I have no pain or real periods. I get the shot every 3 months (I’m on 9 months) and take a pill that comes in the shot package. The pill is taken daily, shot is every 3 months for me. Goodluck!"

Lala November 5, 2018

For Endometriosis "I’m a 24-year-old female who’s suffered from terrible endometriosis pain; my periods left me crumpled up on the ground, moaning in pain, to the point that I seriously wished I were dead. I am not exaggerating in the slightest. Sometimes I’d get really dizzy and hear an intense buzzing in my ears, right before I almost passed out. The pain was unbearable; I often had to miss school and work because of my period. I recently underwent surgery and was recommended Lupron. I read horrible reviews about it for weeks leading up to my doctor appointment and was terrified to try it, but so far I haven’t had any problems other than hot flashes (and that’s MUCH preferable to the agonizing pain I used to be in). Of course, it’s only been a few months since I got the injection, so we’ll see...but so far it’s been great! Don’t let the reviews scare you; if you’re in good health like I am, you probably won’t experience serious complications or side effects. Hope this helps!"

Lindz (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2018

For Endometriosis " I had severe cervical dysplasia requiring a portion of my cervix be removed, chronic pain, PCOS, and was diagnosed with severe endometriosis following laproscopic removal of many adhesions from my uterus and scarring of my ovaries. My OB recommended I do six to nine months of Depot lupron after my laproscopy to keep the Endo at bay and help reduce scarring. I started out with the one month shot and felt okay, a little achey and some hot flashes. I went back to got the three month shot. I was miserable but my OB really pushed me to keep going with it. I am on my second three month shot and I am not me anymore. I am moody, extremely depressed, my bones hurt, I've gained 20lbs, I'm fatigued, anxious, have insomnia, headaches, and have had horrible gastrointestinal symptoms. It is ruining my marriage. My work performance has suffered. I am foggy and forgetful. Everything is an effort. I will not be getting the last shot and hope this hasn't caused irreversible damage!!!"

Melissa September 27, 2018

For Uterine Fibroids "This shot did not shrink my fibroids uterus before my operation. As a matter fact they grew. It’s going on four months since I’ve had the shot, already had my operation. Do still have my ovaries. I’m still getting hot flashes. I have a headache every day of different levels. The nausea almost went away. Hot flashes are worse at night so I’m losing a lot of sleep. The last three weeks my legs are aching every day when I get up. I have no desire to have sex. This is definitely miserable. My doctor said the effects of the lupron would be gone in three months but they’re still here. I don’t recommend the shot for anybody for any reason."

Hol (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2018

For Endometriosis "Took the 3 month lupron depot shot just one time. It's now 3 months since I had the shot, my reasons for taking this poison is due to extreme PMDD condition, which I also have endo, but the PMDD outweighs! So all my symptoms since the very 1st week of the injection have been severe hot flashes, night sweats, more fatigue-whole body aches. Just in the last month my hair has been falling out! Very dry, thin now- I'm extremely moodier than before, This was the worst thing I've done & I'm super mad at all these doctors who really have no clue what they're doing to people. We are all their guinea pigs. I went 4 days ago to the doctor & he put me on premaire ( hormone replacement). I'm waiting in misery to see if this added med helps. So far- the new med has had me in tears everyday for no reason, a massive migraine and overall loosing my mind! Never ever take lupron! Just do an internet search on lupron victims."

Me2 August 31, 2018

For Prostate Cancer "I had prostrate cancer 10 yrs ago so they say. 43 treatments of radiation and the PSA is gone. Now 67 years old and my PSA went up to 8.5 10 years later and my doctor wants to do the lupron shot. First one 2 years a big one 45 mg. It almost killed me - I had never been so sick. Now 2 and half years later my PSA was 13 so I told the doc I would try a smaller dose so I did 7.5 a year ago and another 7.5 last week my PSA is 3.2 but still said I should take it. Let me tell you men I WILL NEVER TAKE ANOTHER LUPRON SHOT AS LONG AS I LIVE. The side effects you read about are true, blood pressure problems diabetes. I'm never having lupron shot ever again."

lupron hater (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2018

For Uterine Fibroids "I am 28 with a 21cm x 13cm uterine fibroid. I was told me surgery would be risky and would leave me with a scar from under my chest to my pelvic area, since I am only 28 and would like to have children of my own they decided to put me on Lupron for 6 months to shrink the fibroid by hopefully 50% and have a much smaller and less risky surgery. Went on the shot in June, with the first month being the hardest, with headaches, night sweats, hot flashes and my first period being very heavy and lots of clots. But I am on my 2 shot month 2.5 months in and I can say most of those symptoms went away, I only get hot flashes which are definitely bearable."

alpal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 21, 2018

For Prostate Cancer "My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer stage 4 in 2014. His prostate was removed and later started on Lupron depot every 3 months. His PSA went down to almost nil. Over the next four years he has been on Lupron according to his PSA levels. Though Lupron does keep his PSA levels down, his mood swings/anger and his irrational thinking has stressed our relationship. He is mean with comments to me and his actions. He needs Lupron to live but it has killed our relationship. The Oncologist who gave him his first Lupron injection, did tell us, that one of the side effects of Lupron was that it could increase moods and anger. I am stressing to you, wives, that Lupron is one ugly drug. It makes people who are receiving Lupron depots very miserable people and their partners/spouses very stressed out, scared at times, lonely and sad for what is happening in their relationship. Lupron gives the patient, quantity of life but not quality of life!"

stressed out wife August 18, 2018

For Endometriosis "Only a few weeks in and I already hate this. I’m 19 and was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis. My doctor said the Lupron shot is my only option in regards for treatment, before a hysterectomy. I’ve been on birth control for 5 years prior for intense pain but it didn’t help at all. 2 weeks in, my bones hurt, I’m constantly hot and nauseous. Depression I feel is on its way. I can’t stop crying and I feel very sad about life. Which is unlike me, I’m a very positive person. My pain is also more intense than before. I feel very helpless because I don’t want to have a hysterectomy at 19 but I hate this medication already. I don’t know what else to do"

eab123 (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

For Endometriosis "Awful side effects. Put me in menopause at 35. My hair is still thin 4 years later. Toxic stuff"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2018

For Uterine Fibroids "I had 8 tumors in my uterus and the doctors told me there was no way to remove them. They gave me 2 shots of lupron and I started losing my memory and the bleeding increased. I did a search for doctors that remove the tumors and I found one. He took out the tumors, I was able to keep my uterus and have had no problems since. I thank God everyday for this doctor! The only bad thing is thanks to the drug my memory is damaged for life."

rubyt (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2018

For Uterine Fibroids "My experience was horrible. My Obgyn recommended lupron for my fibroids. I have 1 large one the size of grapefruit, 3 the size of tennis balls and many pea size. Surgery not an option. I get lupron shots 1 time a month for 6 months. I had 13 acne cysts in total on my face that I had to have sugerically removed (over time). I gained 30 pounds almost overnight and it took me 3 years of intense dieting to get this weight off. My body thought I was going thru menopause so I had the hot flashes as well. I would not do it again. I spent a fortune only to find out after 6 months and all of this that the tumors were the same size. Years later I am having health issues and wondering if related to lupron usage."

Ki June 30, 2018

For Endometriosis "I am 25 and received 9 months of injections with Lupron for endometriosis and had a terrible experience with it. First was the symptom flare the first month which made my pain even worse and I missed 3 weeks of work out of 4 weeks. Then even with add back therapy, I had hot flashes, trouble sleeping, severe pain with sex, and bad acne. And it did nothing to help the pain I was having. I stopped this medication after 9 months and even now, one year after stopping, I have residual digestive issues and continued vulvodynia which started when I was on Lupron. Many doctors seem to use this drug as a first line treatment against Endo but it is brutal and is only a temporary treatment"

EC449 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2018

For Endometriosis "I personally have endometriosis and have had laparoscopic surgery for treatment. I have been told by multiple doctors that adding hormones to your body to lessen your “pain” (in quotes because no birth control has proven to do so for my endometriosis) so I have taken no birth control since my surgery 10 years ago and it has gotten easier to deal with not worse! They also offered two other options to stop the pain hysterectomy/ ablation.. either way would be fine since endometriosis will and has eaten up my reproductive organs. After the laparoscopic surgery it did take me 5 months to heal internally, so if you do this option please prepare yourself for a much much much heavier and DIFFERENT period for a least the first two months. But after sex seemed easier with less pain and going to the bathroom (taking a bowl movement) while on and off my period was much easier. Hope my experience helps anyone that has or has been recently diagnosed."

Renee May 28, 2018

For Endometriosis "I just started the lupron shot and so far its helping but its also come along with hot flashes , dizzyness, prolonged QT heart interval (I already have the heart problem but it is amplifying it) body pain which is slowly going down, brain fog, insomnia, fatigue inability to breathe, and is making some of my connective tissue symptoms worse. I'm hoping at least some of these symptoms go away. If they do I will continue the monthly shots since the endo symptoms are getting better (headache, bowel issues, insane amount of bleeding every month and debilitating pain)."

Tripp (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

For Endometriosis "Within one week of starting depot lupron, I was struck with severe headaches and fatigue. Muscle and joint pain set in and sleep became impossible. I have had no relief from my endometriosis pain. Pelvic pain is daily and constant. Dull aches in my lower abdomen and sharp shooting pain through my colon. Even with add back therapy, I have had hot flashes and severe waves of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I wish I had never gotten it. This is the second time my doctor has put me on this "medication" with zero results or relief from my symptoms. I only feel worse. It has made me and my relationship suffer. It's not worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

For Endometriosis "Honestly I was so sick of having surgeries constantly and so my OB recommended me trying Lupron for my endometriosis - 1 shot once a month for 6 months and longer if i would like to. I was told I couldn't have any more babies. I had tried everything and nothing worked to have another. Got on lupron for my extreme pain from endo and for the first month I got a horrible period like period then after that I didn't have a period. When I got off it I was prego and didn't even know. I got my rainbow miracle baby thanks Lupron and my endo hasn't returned since then thank goodness. Yes hot flashes, being sick in the morning, tired a lot because I couldn't sleep and mood swings from hell was all worth it. I will definitely be back on this if my endo comes back!!!! Definitely a 10 star review from me! (I stayed on lupron for 9 months)."

Britt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2018

For Uterine Fibroids "I am 52 (5'8", 155 lbs) w/ large (13 cm) intramural fibroid (fibroid w/in the muscle wall of the uterus). In case I had any adverse reaction to Lupron, decided to take the low dose injection (1 x a month) instead of the single high dose that lasts three months. Felt pretty okay w/ Lupron, other than a dull headache that lingered on for two months (I only had two injections). The actual fibroid did not shrink much after two months (from 13 to 11 cm) but the surgeon said it made the fibroid softer. Had a laparoscopic hysterectomy w/ success. 90% recovered after five days."

Working Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2018

For Endometriosis "I have been on the Lupron for about a year. Last year I had 6 monthly injections. The pain that I was experiencing before taking Lupron was horrible. Within 3 weeks of being on Lupron I was pain free with very minimal side effects. One of them was weight gain. For me the weight gain was way better than the pain that I was experiencing before! I went off the shot for about 6 months and the pain returned. The second time around I received a 3-month injection. The pain got worse the first couple of weeks then it was gone again. Now I feel like I can live a normal pain free life again. Still very minimal side effect. This drug has been a life saver for me! I read so many horrible reviews of this drug but honestly its been a huge relief for me!!! I now can function again!"

Kathy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2018

For Uterine Fibroids "I have had like 8 fibroids super big started 2015 March started bleeding blood clots. I was close to 50 years old so I found a study and she recommended lupron, I'm not gonna lie had 3 shots, my hair fell out - its gone, but for the pain I'm in right now might have to get my 4th shot. This situation changes your life style 100%. Horrible uterus pain is unbelievable. My hot flash/ cold flash worst are without lupron."

Choclate (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

For Endometriosis "After having a shot of lupron I had a bad side effects a muscle spasm on my neck , my hair shedding, dizziness and weak , migraine, I can't function well"

Arlene (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2018

For Endometriosis "Hi, I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis in April of 2017. My situation was a little different because the disease went into my colon and shut down my bowel system. After two surgeries my doctor recommended I go on Lupron for 6 months. After reading the reviews, I told my doctor no. I was scared out my mind. He insisted and I finally agreed. I just took my last shot of my 6mo treatment and in the beginning I experienced the hot flashes but I was given Northein pills to offset it and it worked. I didn't bleed, I occasionally had sweats, nausea or an upset stomach. However; I can't say anything really bad about the drug. I'm glad I took it. I think it depends on the individual body but I will say you have to give your system time to adapt to the drug."

Angel (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

For Uterine Fibroids "I was so skeptical about these shots, scared to death of the side effects after reading posts...I could kick myself! My shirts fall past my waist, I always looked pregnant. Slight headache, took generic aspirin, did the trick, hot flashes, weird but no that bad. Cycle, had one regular (heavy) period then skipped. Overall, I was so satisfied, I just called and ordered my second shot (I get them quarterly). Everyone reacts different to different types of medication...what works for others may not work for you but this did work for me. Good Luck...Sorry for the grammer stuff was in a rush"

uptown December 4, 2017

For Uterine Fibroids "I was diagnosed with a 13cm fibroid. The doctor wanted to shrink it to be able to perform a lathroscopic hysterectomy. I was having CONSTANT heavy bleeding for months on end, even the transamic acid wasn't slowing it down. First drug we tried was Fibristal. It was supposed to slow the bleeding and shrink the fibroid. I took this for 6 months and it did ABSOLUTELY nothing. The doctor then suggested Lupron Depot. The first week on Lupron was hard. Bleeding was much heavier than before (which was already horrible). But by week 2 the bleeding completely stopped. By 5 months on Lupron my fibroid had shrunk to 11cm. A bit of hot flashes. Some fogginess/irritability, but that's normal for me...lol"

Andersc2 November 22, 2017