User Reviews for Lupron Depot to treat Prostate Cancer

Lupron Depot has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Prostate Cancer. 60% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Lupron Depot Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Prostate Cancer.

Reviews for Lupron Depot

geezer46 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 6, 2021

“I completely agree with Rob, if i had have known the consequences of taking this drug, I would probably done the same as him. It takes away everything that being a man is. He does not however mention the sex word, from my first injection 5 years ago there has not been any, plenty of everything else that he states but no kind of love making. Probably he did not take enough to cause e/d, if not good on him. Not enough information is given to us about the FULL effects of this drug, men are not made to live a good QOL without testosterone, because after you have been castrated that is it. As far as I can tell very few men have good sex and real happiness after having the drug.”

stressed out wife August 18, 2018

“My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer stage 4 in 2014. His prostate was removed and later started on Lupron depot every 3 months. His PSA went down to almost nil. Over the next four years he has been on Lupron according to his PSA levels. Though Lupron does keep his PSA levels down, his mood swings/anger and his irrational thinking has stressed our relationship. He is mean with comments to me and his actions. He needs Lupron to live but it has killed our relationship. The Oncologist who gave him his first Lupron injection, did tell us, that one of the side effects of Lupron was that it could increase moods and anger. I am stressing to you, wives, that Lupron is one ugly drug. It makes people who are receiving Lupron depots very miserable people and their partners/spouses very stressed out, scared at times, lonely and sad for what is happening in their relationship. Lupron gives the patient, quantity of life but not quality of life!”

K. Stanyo · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 27, 2019

“I was given this poison, for the first time , May 2nd, 2019. The Doctors/nurses would NOT tell me the name of it. Only referred to it as: Hormone Therapy. 60 seconds AFTER the nurse shoved a 22.5mg 3-month dose of it, into my butt....the 'Doctor's assistant, walked up to me , handed me a booklet: 'Understanding Lupron Therapy", said: You better TAKE THIS HOME AND READ IT", she 'laughed, turned around and said: "see ya". When I got home, I turned to the 1st page. It said: "side-effects': "heart attacks, strokes, bone damage, diabetes, AND, "SUDDEN DEATH......" I was so angry. She injected me with a POISON. For 10 weeks, I was l was so angry, mad it was indescribable bad. The "worst 3 months of my life" !”

Oace56 February 3, 2014

“Started treatment 12/2011 ended 12/2013. The PSA went down as expected for is the purpose of treatment, now waiting for side effects to end, which have been: loss of libido, hot flashes specially at night or after a meal, some sweating, loss of body hair, loss of muscle mass, joint and bone pain, tiredness, difficulty to start almost any quest, weight gain, chest/man breast augmentation. Have been taking vitamin D plus calcium, glucosamine, started an exercise program that has helped with muscle buildup, and also helps with better mood, by prescription have taken 3 applications of calcium to the vein. Have had excellent support from wife, have trust my Doctors and first of all God my father.”

65 year old Marvin with PC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 22, 2015

“I am experiencing the following side-effects: Breast enlargement, reduction of size of testicles, complete ED, multiple hot flashes hourly, and a mental fog that prevents clear thinking. These were all expected side effects and came as no surprise. Additional unexpected side effects include: rapid pulse rate, elevated BP, breathlessness, short term memory loss, extreme and uncontrollable emotional outbursts (uncontrollable crying over minimally emotional issues), and sleep deprivation (1-2 hours total sleep which could account for the emotional issues). Of additional concern are anecdotal statements by others claiming no reduction of any side effects even after years of removal from follow-up injections of Lupron. My concern is great enough to request suspension of this drug, even at the cost of an elevated PSA with a corresponding resurgence of the cancer. I know there are additional drugs I can take to counteract some of these side-effects, but I would rather not complicate the situation with even more medication. My PSA stands at .3 as of this writing, and I would withdraw my request were it to increase to 4.0, however continued living with this nightmare drug is not my idea of life.”

Marcus · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 28, 2019

“On lupron beginning July 2017. Now 2019 and still on 3 month dose. I experience all the known side affects and it is not much fun. I am 66 years old and have advanced prostate cancer stage 3. My PSA undetectable since surgery and 40 radiation treatments. Hot flashes, weight gain, fatigue, tingle in feet, itching, impotence and bone aches. PSA is still undetectable...going off lupron in May 2020...we will see what happens then.”

lupron hater · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2018

“I had prostrate cancer 10 yrs ago so they say. 43 treatments of radiation and the PSA is gone. Now 67 years old and my PSA went up to 8.5 10 years later and my doctor wants to do the lupron shot. First one 2 years a big one 45 mg. It almost killed me - I had never been so sick. Now 2 and half years later my PSA was 13 so I told the doc I would try a smaller dose so I did 7.5 a year ago and another 7.5 last week my PSA is 3.2 but still said I should take it. Let me tell you men I WILL NEVER TAKE ANOTHER LUPRON SHOT AS LONG AS I LIVE. The side effects you read about are true, blood pressure problems diabetes. I'm never having lupron shot ever again.”

mike190 September 17, 2009

“I've been on Lupron (after prostae surgery) for a period of 7-1/2 years. I am also on 50mg Casosex. The side effects are minor (hot sweats, decreased energy) Injection site(s) were moved after 6 yrs. from buttox to shoulder(s) due to lower back pain. I hope this gives hope to patients about to begin this regimen.”

Woody · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 9, 2020

“I’m a 66 yo male who was diagnosed with moderately aggressive prostate cancer with Gleason score of 8 and PSA of 7.2. I’ve had 2 Lupron injections which have caused the following side effects: a chemical smell, muscle weakness, hot flashes, fatigue, PSA - <.01, insomnia, anemia, decreased leukocytes, decrease size of penis and testicles, bone pain in back and sacrum. I have one more shot in July. I was taking Zytiga for a while.”

bluechip56 January 10, 2020

“69 years old. Had seed implants 16 years ago . PSA slowly creeped up and due to an incompetent doctor, it spread to my spine before getting any treatment...Thankfully , I made a visit to another MD and got 1st class care. I just had my 2nd Lupron injection (3 month interval). No side effects other than mild hot flashes. I keep a strenuous exercise program in place and I thinks that helps a great deal . On Zuniga also. PSA down to .50 from high of 17”

WWII Vet · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2014

“Had my first injection of Lupron 7.5 mg in July; second injection at the same dosage is set for August 21. So far no hot flashes or side effects. Have been taking Casodex simultaneously (30-day supply) which will end shortly. Only side effect from that initially was fatigue, which resolved after 5 days. Decided to insist on 1-month Lupron injections instead of a 3-6 month extended dose as PC support group participants on the once-a-month dose had far fewer side effects. I'm sticking to my guns on this one; MD tried to give me a 6-month dose right off the bat. I'm switching MDs and glad I did it this way. Hope this helps others.”

sevenstarr February 8, 2019

“My father has prostate cancer and he was given the Lupron shot. Everything was going fine for my dad until 2 weeks after the shot. He started having side effects from the shot. Now before I go any further let me just say if anyone has PTSD do not take this drug. My father started seeing things that were not there, hearing things that no else could hear, and smelling things that no one else could smell. Now not everyone will have the same side effects, but if you have PTSD it will kick it into gear.This might be the right treatment for you, it is not for my dad. Again if you struggle with PTSD this may not be the treatment for you. I hope this was helpful in some way. ”

Tony · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 24, 2020

“Taking Lupron injections for 7 months out scheduled 18 months for Prostate Cancer. Experiencing common side effects like the hot flashes weight gain reduction in size of testicles. Completed 28 treatments of radiation this past May. Taking injections in the buttocks every 3 months. Injections are not bad. A little soreness for a couple of days. The side effects are manageable so far.”

surferman · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 27, 2021

“Had a prostatectomy in Oct. 2019 and PSA rose in April 2020. Took bicaltumide pills and a lupron injection in Aug 2020. second injection in Jan 2021. The next injection is May 2021. My side effects are mostly really bad hot flashes day and night, extra fat around waist, got the mood thing going. My wife said I should talk to doc before next dose. I also got an inguinal hernia after surgery . It is a hard drug to live with but at 71 years old I'll take every day. I see the doc next month for a checkup after a blood test. I also had 39 radiation visits in Jan 2021. I hope my PSS is still around 0.034 due to lupron. I have to take a total of 5 injections which have been every 4 months. Good luck to people who have to take this route.”

duckman · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 11, 2021

“I have been on lupron for 6 months (2 of the three month injections). This drug is very effective in slowing the prostate cancer growth. Testosterone is the fuel for PC. My testosterone level went from 840 to 11 in three weeks after my first injection! However, there surely are side-effects. Mine are: 1. Fatigue and low energy with breathlessness upon exercise. 2. Hot flashes 3. low red blood cell count (anemia). 4. Lack of sexual desire and unable to perform. 5. Shrunken testicles and penis. The side-effects are frustrating...but you can tough them out. God has given me strength, and without my faith...this would be much tougher. My wife has been an angel with her constant support. Goodluck!”

Dufrain July 10, 2021

“I'm 57 and diagnosed in Apr with tumor confined in one lobe only, a Gleason of 7 (3+4), and a PSA of 9.22. I received a 4 month, (30mg) injection on May 19 and started radiation on June 21. As of this writing I'm into my 8th week on this drug. So far my side effects have been minimal with very mild hot flashes, (about 2-3 times a day but very subtle), loss of sex drive and some ED at this point. I get about 6-7hrs decent sleep a night, haven't had to get up to pee in the middle of the night much, no vision, confusion, brain fog issues, ect as others describe but I'm not long term therapy either. Doc said the 'kick-in' with side effects is typically at the 3 week point so, so far, I'm doing pretty well. Doc says I should regain most, if not all, my ED function when the drug wears off after the 4 month time frame. A definitive change in my diet and exercise has also helped a great deal with limiting my side effects. Hope this helps anyone in similar circumstances.”

Dave August 19, 2021

“Have had lymphoma for many years from Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam. Had exam and PSA test annually until I was 75 and doc says you have prostate the size of 15 year old and PSA is normal, so you don’t need to come back. Now 80 and PC metastasized to lymph nodes in neck. PC is also related to Agent Orange. Started with 30-days of Casodex and 90-days of Lupron. PSA went from 75.5 to 0.06. Lupron side effects not too bad, but seem to be getting worse as I approach next injection in a couple of days. I’m hoping to switch to a mCSPC (castration sensitive) medicine, instead of the Lupron, which is mCRPC (castration resistant).”

Lupron Poison July 21, 2019

“Brain fog, hot flashes, bone chills and memory loss. Drug is poison.”

Anonymous May 25, 2016

“My dad had 1 shot of Lupron at age of 80 for elevated prostate cancer. He lost control of his muscles, was unable to walk and accelerated his dementia. My dad passed away 10 months after the shot.”

Flor male July 22, 2014

“Hot flashes and chills. Stomach became larger and weight gain. Hot flashes are very annoying. Fainted and doctor said it probably was due to dehydration.”

Learn more about Prostate Cancer