User Reviews for Eligard

Prostate Cancer   4.4

Reviews for Eligard

Rob February 25, 2021

For Prostate Cancer: “Got the results back, in September 2020 had a biopsy (thanks for the delay covid) came back with Gleeson score of 9 and Grade 5! They tried to operate but too much scar tissue. Next was the oncologist appointment who said we need to do something now and said eligard should stop it growing . What they didn't say was that I would put weight on, the night sweats make you put covers on, take covers of all night, Getting up to pee up to 9 times a night, Feeling lethargic, Dark thoughts and mood swings, An emotional wreck. Went to the gp who put me on anti depression tablets which have amplified my emotional state.... told the wife tonight I'm not taking any more anti depressants, not doing eligard and not going to a planning day. I want to go out on my terms feeling like myself not juiced up on this rubbish. Facts are I could have some good years left without medication or go on feeling wound up and unintentionally pushing away those that care.”

Steve · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2021

For Prostate Cancer: “My side effects from Eligard is extreme bone pain, joint pain, testicular pain, my penis shriveled up like I had jumped in ice water and stayed icy cold for several days, night sweats, night terrors, nightmares, brain fog. I had a CV event 3 days after wound up in the emergency room with extreme difficulty and pain urinating, especially at night. According to the manufacturer this is supposed to be used for palliative care Well I guess they don't know the meaning of palliative care I wish I had never started this treatment”

Steelie · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2020

For Prostate Cancer: “I was given a six-month injection on Eligard 45mg, then 3 days later I had a CV event on me in the emergency room. Other side effect that Eligard has given me is I've had bone pain, severe neuropathy, night sweats, night terrors, brain fog, confusion, anxiety and anger.”

pofoto · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 25, 2020

For Prostate Cancer: “I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2014 at 64 years old. My doctor said my best option for getting rid of the cancer was to have it removed. I went through the surgery in August 2014, but the cancer was not gone. I had 38 radiation treatments in 2015, and that kept my PSA low for two years. It went up to 1.0, and the doctor started giving me Eligard injections every 3 months beginning in 2018. I have severe depression with dark thoughts concerning my death eventually from this cancer. I also have weight gain, and no sexual desires at all. I have no toleranceor patience and it makes me very irritable. I must admit it works as it has kept my PSA below 1.0 for the last two years! I don't think I will take it much longer. My doctor is saying they are looking for a different treatment soon. I have no idea what that will be. It has taken all the joy of life out of me and I am not interested in almost anything...”

Screw cancer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 13, 2020

For Prostate Cancer: “Husband got Eligard shot to minimize size of prostate to prepare for radiation with 6 month follow up. When he returned the cancer had spread to his bones and PSA went from 32 to 182 in those 6 months with no additional PSA tests given. The shot was ineffective and we were not informed that it could metastasis to other body parts giving us a choice of a different treatment that would not limit his life.... Demand monthly PSAs!!!”

Bill May 21, 2020

For Prostate Cancer: “Massive radical prostrate surgery 1997. Clear of the return of cancer until 2016, low PSA of 18 when discovered at my annual physical. No radiation, only Eligard every six months. Here it is 2020 and I am 86 years of age. Only side effects are increase in weight (15 pounds), low energy level, and increased breast size. Never hot flashes or sweating. COVID-19 has keep my wife and I house bound for the past 3 months and we enjoy life in states of happiness, bliss and joy. If one lives long enough, prostrate cancer will eventually put you under. Too many symptoms to make a doctor's appointment. When I think it is cancer of the wrist, it's arthritis. When I think it's cancer of lumbar region, it's vertebrae disks. So why think you're going to live forever. Enjoy the love your wife, children and friends offer and learn to enjoy how cancer progresses during the last phase of life. My wife has NEVER heard me complain.”

Bart · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

For Prostate Cancer: “Diagnosed with prostate cancer in April 2019, had a 6 month Lupron shot in May followed by 45 radiation treatments ending in early September. Went on vacation and able to do 2-3 mile hikes over rough terrain with only a little fatigue. Went in for second shot early November and they changed me to Eligard. They said it was virtually the same product. Within 2 weeks I developed intense pain in my hips that has not gone away. Can hardly walk to the mailbox any longer due to the pain. Dealing with mood swings, minor depression, trouble sleeping and have gained 30 pounds. Due to go back next Wednesday for another 6 month Eligard shot. Not going to happen.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2020

For Prostate Cancer: “Eligard caused Hot flashes only. If I had read these comments before, I would never had Eligard! Horrible!”

Wally · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

For Prostate Cancer: “Have had one month injection of Eligard and will not be taking another. Side effects including hot flashes, night sweats, fatigue, joint pains, mood swings, memory loss - I get the lot. Worst decision I ever made and hope the effects wear off ASAP. I would rather take my chances than be half the person I am now. Reading other comments where there seems to be no ending to the side effects gives me little hope for a reprieve. Oncologist gave me no impression I would be suffering like this. Just "this is the standard treatment" - it does not cure the disease just supposedly slows it. Personally I would rather have less time and good quality of life.”

Peartree · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2019

For Prostate Cancer: “I am 68 years old. Had 6 mo. injection August 2018. Dr. told me hot flashes and night sweats were the side effects. That I could handle. What I could not handle was the loss of cognitive functions, mood swings, loss of muscle mass, weight gain, thoughts of suicide, total ED, shrunken penis and testicles. It has destroyed my life. I have still not recovered all of the cognitive functions I lost, can not get rid of the extra weight and to top it all off, my cancer was not to the point I needed the hormone. Eligard may have saved lives, but to me the treatment has destroyed my quality of life.”

Mark · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 12, 2019

For Prostate Cancer: “Hot flashes, bone pain, breast enlargements, tired, don’t about anything anymore. Looking for a way to reverse it!”

illini71 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 30, 2019

For Prostate Cancer: “Received an 6-month injection of Eliguard. Approaching 8 months since injection and I am still having several HOT FLASHES every day and night. Unfortunately, there is not a remedy that will bring an end to the episodes.”

Tom 627 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2019

For Prostate Cancer: “Been on Eligard for two months and it has taken all the joy out of life. There will be no second injection. My life expectancy is better with cancer than with Eligard and I'm fighting such dark thoughts almost everyday, afraid I'm going to hurt someone, the mood swings are unpredictable and scary. Sex is becoming near impossable all the time.”

Jean · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 24, 2019

For Prostate Cancer: “Been taking Eligard for 5 X every 3 months, just over a year. Prostate out 10 years ago. Radiation 45x about 6 years ago. Eligard effective at reducing PSA. Occasional hot flashes. Tire easily. Often light headed. Little tolerance for BS. More headaches. Breast enlargement. Thinking about stopping use.”

Dave · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 3, 2018

For Prostate Cancer: “I was prescribed Eligard by an oncologist due to a suspicion of prostate cancer. I was told my PSA of 80 was almost a certain indication of prostate cancer. Seven months ago, in February I was given a three month injection.. Within an hour I was nauseated. I vomited for three hours. After that the effects of Eligard began to take effect. Hot flashes going from sweating to cold within minutes loss of libido for myself, no sexual satisfaction for my wife. Chest constriction Reduced ability to handle stress Disrupted sleep due to fluctuating temperature. Final comment: I conclude that no man would ever prescribe Eligard to another man if he had taken it himself. It is not a cure for prostate cancer, and it affected my life so negatively, I would never take it again, even if I knew I had cancer, which I don’t. I am writing to the Chief Medical Officer of my province that this drug is a poor choice for any purpose.”

Cityboy1627 December 23, 2016

For Prostate Cancer: “I had my first Eligard shot recently. It's difficult to say what side effects I'm having. Because I have spinal stenosis I have had surgery to relieve pressure on the sciatic nerves on each side and I have edema in both legs and feet as well as pain. There are spots on my feet where I have no feeling with the right foot being more affected. I cannot walk around with something on my feet even if it is just slippers because there are also extremely sensitive spots on my feet. I am also diabetic. I get throbbing and stabbing pains occasionally again with the right foot being more involved. Because I've been on opioids for 15 years I have not produced much testosterone for a long time. I am presently at 75 ng/dl. Thanks.”

Bill Bunch · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 6, 2016

For Prostate Cancer: “I must say if I only knew what this medication was going to do to me I would of never taken it. At the age of 61 this medication has destroyed my life. After each injection it caused deeper and deeper depression. What at one time brought joy to my life is gone. There is no since of any type of sexuality at all. Nothing brings joy to ones life. after each shot it just makes it worse. The hot flashes are so severe I will have to change my work shirt a couple of times a day. I will soak a shirt with in minuets. One has to remember that the Eligard will get rid of all your hormones. we are not made to run that way and there is no support that will help you deal with that or tell you what to expect. You are no longer male but not female either.”

:/ · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 28, 2016

For Prostate Cancer: “I am the wife of a man currently taking Eligard. I have to say it has worked to keep the prostate cancer from spreading. Which is absolutely wonderful. However it has caused a lot of other problems which has effected both of us. He has absolutely no sexual desire, he has developed which appears to be breast, his penis has become inverted and his testicles have decreased in size. His muscle mass has decreased as well and the weight gain is mostly in his belly. I can only hope that he will regain his man hood if and when he is taken off this medication.”

Slugger69 May 10, 2015

For Prostate Cancer: “It works for me - long story short I'm going for my second shot on the 21st of this month”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 5, 2014

For Prostate Cancer: “I started Eligard in 2006 and it worked well until 2012. I started taking Casodex with the Eligard injections and that worked well until early 2014. I came off the Casodex at that time and continued to take the Eligard with my PSA back up to 7.1 and cancer mets to my T3, T4 spine. I had radiation to my spine and now waiting for financial assistance on new medicine.”

BarryL December 7, 2011

For Prostate Cancer: “I was given my first injection with Eligard on December 1st 2010. I started to have bone pain a little before this and a PSA of 116. It took control in about 2 days and the pain went. As I decided to wait until the pain returned (to see how long it would last) I had to have another one 6 1/2 months later. My PSA dropped to 0.17 the first time and 2.6 the second (where it is now). I will take a 3rd one in 5 months time and see if it goes beyond the 4 months for the 30mg to have effect. The date is 8th December 2011 and the 3rd one is due in March 2012.”

Anonymous January 3, 2010

For Prostate Cancer: “I was given two injections of Elgard before beginning radiation therapy. Following the 48 radiation treatments, I am still being monitored by my oncologist and urologist. My last PSA was 0.01. The side effects of hot flashes, lethargy, and muscle weakness are where I am today, although at my age, 79, I can't complain. The first of the injections was in April of 2008 and the second in August. Radiation began in early September 2008 and ended at end of October. It was determined that I am not a candidate for Androgel as there is a possibility of developing cancer again. So, as you read from the preceding paragraph, I'm lucky to have passed my first year without problems.”