Will I get my period while on Lupron?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on March 14, 2021.
In clinical studies evaluating endometriosis, most women (95%) started their periods three months after treatment ended with Lupron Depot 3.75 mg.
- In studies, 7% of women started their periods (menstrual cycle) in the first month after treatment ended with Lupron Depot 3.75 mg.
- By the second month after the end of treatment, 71% had started their period and by the third month, 95% of women started their normal cycle.
When will my period stop on Lupron?
Two months after starting treatment with Lupron (leuprolide) Depot for endometriosis, most women (98%) will stop having periods. In studies, 2% of women reported light bleeding or spotting. Most women will resume their normal periods within 3 months after treatment with Lupron Depot has ended.
Can I get pregnant on Lupron Depot?
Lupron Depot may cause harm to your unborn child. You should not receive Lupron Depot if you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant. You may need to have a pregnancy test before you start treatment. If you think you have become pregnant while on Lupron Depot, talk to your doctor immediately.
Lupron Depot is not a method of birth control. Even though you may not have periods, unprotected intercourse could result in pregnancy. You should use a non-hormonal method of birth control, such as condoms, a diaphragm with contraceptive jelly, or a copper IUD, to prevent pregnancy. Talk to your doctor about use of birth control before you start treatment with Lupron Depot.
You should not use Lupron Depot if you have undiagnosed uterine bleeding. If you have undiagnosed uterine bleeding while receiving Lupron, contact your doctor immediately.
This is not all the information you need to know about Lupron Depot for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Lupron (leuprolide) Depot information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Lupron Depot 3.75 mg (leuprolide acetate for depot suspension) for injection, for intramuscular use. AbbVie. North Chicago, Illinois. Revised Feb. 2021. Accessed March 14, 2021 at https://www.rxabbvie.com/pdf/lupron3_75mg.pdf
- Luprongyn.com. Lupron for endometriosis (patient brochure). AbbVie. North Chicago, Illinois. Accessed March 14, 2021 at https://www.luprongyn.com/lupron-for-endometriosis#patient-brochure
- Lupron Depot Endometriosis Patient Brochure. AbbVie. North Chicago, Illinois. Revised August 2020. https://www.luprongyn.com/content/pdf/endometriosis-patient-brochure.pdf
Related Medical Questions
- How long should you take Lupron for prostate cancer?
- How does Lupron (leuprolide) work for prostate cancer?
- How do you inject Lupron Depot for prostate cancer?
- Does Lupron Depot need to be refrigerated?
- Are Lupron Depot and Eligard the same drug?
- What does Lupron do for IVF?
- Can you get pregnant on Lupron Depot?